U.S. Navy Employee Reviews

Found 15,353 reviews matching the search
The most amazing yet hardest experience you could imagine
Machinist Mate 3rd Class (Former Employee) –  Bremerton, WANovember 15, 2016
Everyday was a different with a different challenge. Some days were easy, some 18 hour plus days where you just decide to go to sleep on the boat instead of going home. You meet amazing people and see amazing places, you work, and work, everyday. Its not easy but you learn so much from everyone and everything you do both job instruction wise and who you are. Everything varies on what command you go to, but overall the experience is worth it, even if you do butt heads with your chief. You're co-workers will become family and some of the closest people to you ever. Work hard and get through challenges as a team just to get off and not work those long nights. The Navy taught me a lot, I acquired new skills and look forward to applying them in my future job.
Pros
Steady pay, job security, benefits, free medical.
Cons
long hours, duty days, watch
Great place for an 18 year old to grow up
E6/FC1 (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CADecember 28, 2016
Best job culture you'll ever find! You'll learn hard and soft skills that you'll need and use the rest of your life. Junior enlisted carry the most work load yet are treated the worst, I wouldn't recommend the military to someone over the age of 25, unless they're coming in as an Officer, assuming they're a responsible adult. The longer I was in the more I realized the military doesn't retain the best, they retain the people that can't make it in the civilian sector or the people that absolutely love the military and unfortunately the later is a significant minority. In short the military is a great starting point for a young person to acquire basic life skills, a skilled trade and a large avenue of opportunities as either a Veteran or continued military service.
Pros
Best Benefits you can find
Cons
This job in the Navy was awesome and fun
Personnel Officer (Former Employee) –  Home ports were Charleston, SCDecember 7, 2016
I worked in the administrative and personnel offices on board ship and ashore. I did administrative and clerical duties my complete career and worked my way up to Personnel Officer before I retired. I never had a typical day because every day was different. Management and co-workers were great. The hardest part of being in the navy was long deployments and being away from my family for long periods of time, and the most enjoyable part of the job was visiting many countries and cities around the world.
Pros
The pay, good advancement opportunities, visiting different countries, and the benefits.
Cons
Long deployments, wars, and being away from my family for long periods of time.
Nuclear Electrician on board US Submarines
Nuclear Electrician (Former Employee) –  Bangor Naval Submarine Base, WADecember 11, 2016
A normal work day consisted of long hours with at least an hour of classroom training, multiple hours of electrical maintenance, and multiple hours of on watch.
The military taught me many things including but not limited to: work ethic, theory of electricity, leadership, theory of nuclear power, electrical safety and first aid practices, team work.
While employed for 6 years by the US Navy, I have had a few direct supervisors. Many of them were phenomenal and a few were not so much.
I am still friends with many of the co-workers that I served with. They have become best friends and family.
The long hours, days, and months away from home.
I enjoyed all the co-workers I served with. I also enjoyed the mental stimulation and physical exercise.
Pros
Full medical/dental benefits, decent pay
Cons
long periods of time away from home
Great place to make friends
Master at Arms (Former Employee) –  VirginiaDecember 29, 2016
The US navy has been a good chapter in my life. I have made many changes to my lifestyle and I have been able to use the skills for my own work. Management is not always good but it does what it does for its self. You will make friends as you start but as you make rank you will have to be something else that you will hate and lose those friends. You are replaceable, they will find someone to take your place. Advancement is not a guarantee but for the few that make friends with the management will advance. Racism is strong on all sides of the spectrum and they will conceal it and come together to hide it and tell you it doesn't exist. Remember it's not about what you want or what the navy wants it's what your current leadership wants. After all of this I would still work for the navy because there are good people that can make a good change and I want to see that.
Pros
Travel, job opportunities, benefits
Cons
Management, time off, dangerous situations that are created by the management, brown nosing
Motivating and inspiring career
Medical Laboratory Technician (Current Employee) –  Beaufort, SCOctober 31, 2016
The US Navy is a wonderful career choice. It offers advancement, competitive benefits, and travel. Work typically is a 8-10 hour day with 3 different shifts (4 including 12 hour rotators). Management is very structured and disciplined as there is a neverending rank system.

Co-workers are always very polite, professional, and hard-working. Very motivational/competitive.

Struggling to balance work life/home life is the hardest part, bar-none. Being a sailor is a 24 hour job, so if you're getting deployed/called into work, you have to make it work.
Benefits
Cons
Working during off times
Competitive culture with excellent people to work with.
Administrative/Warehouse Clerk (Former Employee) –  Camp Lejeune, North CarolinaOctober 22, 2016
Early morning there was exercise and then on to breakfast. Given time to shower and dress for the day. Had to be present by a certain time. Tasks included taking accountability for everyone in the company. Also taking care of housing, career advancement, logistical operations, deliveries. I learned how and where to find things if I needed an answer or who to ask. I always listened to my management and was humble. Co-workers were in the same page as me and we completed all our tasks. The hardest part of the job wasn't not having a team player. The most enjoyable part of the job was the people I worked with and the sense of accomplishment.
Benefits
Cons
Short lunches
Working for the Navy was a grand experience I learned a lot from.
Hospital Corpsman/Pharmacy Technician (Former Employee) –  Corpus Christi Naval Air station, TXOctober 22, 2016
The hours were synonymous with a civilian job, which is generally a 9-5 shift. I received weekends off and holidays. I learned pharmacology, how to manage the logistics for a warehouse, how to provide security for an entire base. The hardest part of the job was standing out in the elements be it rain, sleet, or burning sun. Management ran as smoothly as you can expect working a government job. The workplace was full of diversity and everyone got along rather well. The most enjoyable part of the job was the job security and consistent paycheck.
Pros
weekends and holidays off, salary, paid leave
Cons
no call outs, mandatory relocations
Naval Experience in the Medical Field
Hospital Administration / Healthcare Provider (Former Employee) –  World WideDecember 19, 2016
Experience and Education are the major "benefits" of this job.
Being stationed in many enjoyable states and countries added to the experience. Everyday is a different day - whether it is on shore , at sea, or in the air, patient care and the ability to lead lend to a life long learning experience.
Having a career in the military I had the good fortune to have had many NECs (Jobs/Assignments) - Aviation, POMI, Contingency, Combat, Teaching, and so many more certifications and achievements that it has to be experienced to be appreciated.
Overall - It was a great opportunity and an educational advantage.
Pros
Travel Education Experiences
Cons
Time away from family
Diversity of people working together to accomplish constantly changing priorities.
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Mayport, FLJanuary 4, 2017
Camaraderie and a sense of accomplishment are inevitable in this atmosphere. Always a challenge but at the end of the day, everyone's goal is the same. All about balance and attitude. Management varies from great to poor as in any profession as does the work and attitude of subordinates. Advancement can be a challenge due to current system. Time away from family is always the toughest part. Makes time at home more valuable.
Pros
What the military represents. Benefits. Camaraderie.
Cons
Pay. Changing priorities and resources. Time away from family.
It is what you make it.
Electronics Technician (Former Employee) –  Various locations inside and outside of USJanuary 18, 2017
You will never have a set schedule, you may work 40 hours straight get a 3 hour nap then work another 20+ hours. Upper management is a joke and more concerned with politics than getting a job done quickly and correctly. Your coworkers will be your family, you eat, sleep, work, etc with them every day you will become closer with them than anyone else in your life. The hardest part of the job isn't the long hours its the red tape and politics.
Pros
Decent benifits, permenant job if you dont get into trouble with the law.
Cons
Mismanagment, little to know time with family
A wonderful and tremendous opportunity in serving my country
Logistics Chief Petty Officer (Former Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VADecember 26, 2016
The opportunity with the US Navy has taught, trained and prepared me with the vision, mission, and strategic goals of the Chief of Navy Operation's goals for the US Navy. Exceptional managerial training, organizational skills, large scale operational movements, logistics support, planning, execution, managing the command operational target budget, high level of customer service and procurement with department of defense compliance. I have visited many countries, experienced many cultures and enjoyed the diversity of cultures. The 24 years of service has made me a better person with a lot to give back to our communities.
Pros
Health care, Tuition Assistant, military schools, benefits
Cons
separation from family, constant moves
Extremely hard work with extremely good rewards
Culinary Specialist (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VANovember 11, 2016
The navy was a very challenging job.
The management between chief and lower ranks may not have been the best, but all crew members stuck together like glue.
The work was excruciatingly tedious with hours bordering on nineteen hours a day during deployments.
It's very hard to get fired from the Navy and management is more than willing to work with mistakes.
Unfortunately this also makes it difficult to advance.
Free healthcare was great as well as the benefits received when honorably discharged.
Pros
Free lunch, housing, large paycheck, job security
Cons
long and difficult working hours
Very competitive environment that pursues good command climate.
Medical Technician (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLDecember 19, 2016
Everyday is consistent with following orders, applying your technical skills that you were given extra training on. Management is always aware of what is going on their workers life and are able to talk about what personal issues are afflicting their sailors. Coworkers are helpful in the sense of getting the job done and reaching out to those who are need of help. The most difficult part of the job is to adhere to all the requirements that are asked of you, including weight management, proper military bearing when speaking to superiors, staying up to date with new navy instructions, and taking care of your sailors professionally. Overall the most enjoyable part of the military is the bonds you make with fellow sailors over time, and the lessons you learn. Very unique job and glad to have served.
Pros
The medical and dental benefits.
Cons
Long work hours sometimes six days a week with extra duties.
Very rewarding and challenging career
Propulsion Engineer (Former Employee) –  San Diego Naval Station, CADecember 28, 2016
To have the opportunity to come to work everyday, serve your country honorably and work side by side with like minded, motivated people cant be beat. Some days long hours are put in but in the end you have the personal satisfaction knowing that you have accomplished a mission and at the same time acquired valuable knowledge and experience that you can take with you and use for the rest of your life.
Pros
the Navy provides great oppurtunity for growth and advancement and excellent benefits.
Cons
time away from home is more than most careers
Great job with respect and importance
Corpsman Limited Duty coordinator (Former Employee) –  Bethesda, MD and Camp Lejeune, NCDecember 29, 2016
The Blue side of the Navy was very educational and excellent in training and maintaining current operations. Great opportunities existed everywhere to advance oneself. The issue is the detailers who assign you the following duty stations. They ignore a person's capability and success, and does not study the subject or the subjects circumstances. They look at you like a number with no regard. The navy has great benefits and those benefits last the rest of your life. The knowledge gained can help a person transitioning to the civilian sector receive a better job.
Pros
job security
Cons
lack of care on a personable level
Pay, benefits, training and travel
Recruiter,Aviation Electrician, Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNSeptember 12, 2016
This day varied. It depends whether or not you were at sea or not. 12 hours shifts at sea. 7PM to 7AM 7 days a week. On shore duty 8AM to 5PM 5 days a week unless you were assigned to have duty weekend which required you to be there.
-How to work with people from different backgrounds and cultures. I was taught about having a work ethic and how to stay the course of my assignment.
-Management could be very challenging on one end depending on who was the supervisor. Each one I believe I learned some of the good and not so good things about each.
-Co workers were a diverse group from so many different parts of the country and other countries as well.
-The long hard deployments at sea. Example being away 8 months at a time.
-Travel and seeing new places and meeting different people.
Pros
Pay, benefits, training and travel.
Cons
Deployments 6months at a time away from your home port. Long hours sometimes at se
great job that lets you see the world.
FIELD MEDICAL SERVICE TECHNICIAN (Former Employee) –  Bremerton, WAOctober 31, 2016
a job in the navy will help you grow as a person, by seeing the other cultures. while defending your own country/other countries. they teach you a set of skills that you will apply to your job in the navy, and later in the civillian world. hardest pat of the job is deploying away from loved ones. you gain a strong bond with your shipmates, many of whom i still speak to and live with. you meet people from all over the us and other ountries that i am proud to have served with. there are long hard days with little sleep and days that arent so bad.
Pros
health benefits and housing
Cons
long hours, uncertainty.
Great organization to work
DIVISION SENIOR CHIEF PETTY OFFICER (Former Employee) –  Bremerton, WANovember 8, 2016
Extremely complex organization. You learned to take responsibility and accountability seriously. You learned to manage work and family base on 12 hours shift, 7 days a week, 30 days a moth and you are at the other part of the world from your family. Management style always change upon transfer to new command, same with co workers. The hardest part of the job adjusting to totally new superiors and peers. The most enjoyable part of the job is going back home after extended period of deployments.
Pros
job security and benefits
Cons
Extremely long working hours and deployments.
Really enjoyed my time in the United States Navy
Security Alert Team (SAT) Leader (Former Employee) –  Naval Station San Diego in San Diego, CaliforniaOctober 25, 2016
One of the best decision I ever made was when I joined the United States Navy. The experience and knowledge I gained while in the US Navy was simply invaluable. I would definitely trade my 20 year career in the US Navy for anything. I would highly recommend it to any young man or woman who is seeking to gained a lot of experience and knowledge to go along with meeting new people to work with and getting an education that will be mostly paid for by the US Navy.
Pros
Free health care and a steady paid salary.
Cons
Long hours in sometime abnormal conditions.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at U.S. Navy. Our community is ready to answer.

4.4