U.S. Navy
10,139 reviews

U.S. Navy United States Employee Reviews

Place which fosters great potential for growth and self development
Cytology Technician (Former Employee), Jacksonville, FLApril 25, 2015
A Cytotechnologist is responsible for assisting Pathologists by prescreening specimens for the presence of precancerous/cancerous cells. In the medical field as a whole, especially within the military culture, you truly gain an unparellelled appreciation by way of understanding that every specimen collected or processed is more than just that...it is someone's loved one.

Management is an inescapable duty as a military member. However, just as much as management is expected to manage, it is imperative for all to recognize the necessity to be just as effective as a follower regardless of rank or title.

The hardest part of being a Cytotechnologist comes by way of missing precancerous cells during the screening phase. Mostly because it shakes the faith in your ability to catch the most obscure cancerous cells.
Adventure daily
P-3 Flight Engineer Instructor (Former Employee), Jacksonville, FLApril 24, 2015
Pros: See the world
Cons: Some one must man the watch.
Chose your rate; chose your fate. The military isn't for someone that doesn't want to work hard for their country. If job satisfaction is something you seek, today's Navy has it and then some.
Great opportunity .
Data Analyst - QA (Former Employee), Point Mugu, CAApril 24, 2015
Pros: Great experience
Cons: Low Pay
The US Navy was an exciting opportunity in an early stage of my life and it set the tone and the high standards that now accompany my life and work ethics.

I remained in the aviation field and management both.
The job was great and the people I met were even better
Technical Manual Librarian (Former Employee), Everett, WAApril 24, 2015
Pros: Benefits
Cons: Travel Alot
I learned a lot from being in the Navy and living aboard a ship but the most important things are that you have to learn to not be selfish, accepting of others who may be different, always be on time and most importantly patience.
Good travel and excellent on the job training
Machinest mate (Former Employee), Everett Wa.April 24, 2015
Would recommend the us navy to anyone who likes to learn and travel. Being gone for long periods of time is often hard, but was the best job I ever had
Its the military
Machinist Mate (MM2) (Former Employee), Norfulk VirginiaApril 24, 2015
Pros: Travel
Cons: Not home very often.
A typical day at work would began at 7am. Morning muster and work assignments. You work from 7 am till 8 or 9 pm.
I learned to work on hydraulics, pneumatics, pumps, valves, firefighting and first ad. Co-workers are great. You build lasting friendships that to this day I still have. Hardest part of the job is leaving for deployment for a minimum of 6 months. The most enjoyable part of the job is seeing the world.
Productive workplace
Boatswaine Mate (Current Employee), Pensacola, FLApril 24, 2015
Wake up early, be at work on time, complete the task of the day, and go home. I love the people I work with cause we are like a big family. I love that no matter where I go I will have some Navy family around.
High Speed Enviorment
Maintenance Technician (Current Employee), San Diego, CaliforniaApril 24, 2015
Pros: Good Benefits
Monitor the availability, use, or condition of lifesaving equipment or pollution preventatives to ensure that international regulations are followed. See more occupations related to this task.
Monitor engine, machinery, or equipment indicators when vessels are underway and report abnormalities to appropriate shipboard staff. See more occupations related to this task.
Maintain electrical power, heating, ventilation, refrigeration, water, or sewerage systems. See more occupations related to this task.
Record orders for changes in ship speed or direction and note gauge readings or test data, such as revolutions per minute or voltage output, in engineering logs or bellbooks. See more occupations related to this task.
Perform or participate in emergency drills, as required.
fun place to work and travel
NON-DESTRUCTIVE TECHNICIAN (Current Employee), Fort Worth, TXApril 24, 2015
Pros: travel, benefits
Cons: C-way / PTS
Navy allowed me to visit places and meet people, it is what you make out of it. Earn and learn at the same time. I would recommend the United States Navy to any younger kids if they want to have a better chance.
Great Educational Benifits
Training Manager (Current Employee), Gulfport NCBC, MSApril 24, 2015
The US Navy is an outstanding organization after 20 years you see a lot of changes. Both the good and bad. The works are some of the best and brightest in the US. It takes a lot of character to serve and fight for your country. I would not trade this experience for anything.
Learning Experience
COMMANDER, NAVAL SPECIAL WARFARE GROUP TWO (Former Employee), Virginia Beach, VirginiaApril 23, 2015
Pros: Advancement
Cons: Travel
A great learning experience. Lots of traveling around the world. Additionally, the United States Navy was instrumental in my education. I learned a lot of skills to carry me over into the civilian sector.
US Navy
Maintenance Manager (Current Employee), San Diego, CaApril 23, 2015
Pros: Loved it
Cons: Spent a calualted 5 totals years away from home in 20 years.
I loved serving in the US Navy. It begins me sadness that I now have to retire and transition into the workforce. I meet a lot of good people and picked up a lot of transferable skills that could help an organization out. The skills that stand out are my management skills. I believe that it is not always necessary to be the subject matter expert to be a good leader. You must possess manger qualities to be successful as a manager.
Excellent commands
Aviation Structural Mechanic (Former Employee), NAS JacksonvilleApril 23, 2015
Every command is going to be different. I was fortunate to be in some very nice commands with a great command climate. Advancement and pay were excellent as long as you study and make the most of your opportunities
Going to sleep
Entry Level Medical Discharge (Former Employee), Great Lakes, IllinoisApril 23, 2015
Pros: Learn to sleep anywhere, anytime
Cons: Being yelled at, Food was no good.
I enjoyed joining the US Navy and it was my dream job but I was sent home due to shoulder dislocations, it was enjoyable being yelled at constantly as well as the camaraderie I learned.
Great opportunity
Master at Arms (Former Employee), Pearl Harbor, HIApril 23, 2015
Overall working for the Navy was a great a opportunity with many benefits. Every location is different as are the people, it always is what you make it.
Very Secure Job with great experience.
Operations Specialist Third Class Petty Officer (Current Employee), Great Lakes, ILApril 23, 2015
Pros: Benefits, Security, experiences.
Cons: No family time, pay.
The United States Navy is a great place to work with security and great benefits. Its a great place to work with amazing experiences but no time to spend with the family and thats what I want to start doing .
very interesting job
Aviation Electrician (Former Employee), Patuxent River, MDApril 23, 2015
liked working on the aircraft. received a great education while in the navy. very diverse workforce with some interesting people to interact with.
Good Life experience
Personnel Specialist/Pay Clerk (Former Employee), San Diego, CAApril 23, 2015
Pros: Good Benefit Package
Cons: A lot of time away from family
The experience working in the Navy is bitter sweet. The benefit package is great and it is easy to skate from work if you wan. But there is a lot of time spent away from family.
Great experience, poor career
Information Systems Technician (Current Employee), Norfolk, VAApril 23, 2015
Pros: co-workers feel like family, travel, great medical benifits, steady pay, pays for college
Cons: Away from family, long work hours, exposure to harmful chemicals, poor management skills
The Navy is great if you need a way to get out of a small town and pay for college. The benifits are fantastic, and you will get to travel (if you are medically sound). The draw backs vary for each person. If you can just go with the flow and not let things get to you, it's a great job.
One of a kind experience
Aviation Electricians Mate (Current Employee), Virginia Beach, VAApril 23, 2015
Great experience gained through Training. Every day was an evolving learning cycle. No task was ever the same. Same days were fast and exciting, other days were laid back and easy going. All in all I had a great experience.

1 2 3 4 5

About U.S. Navy

Imagine working with the most awe-inspiring equipment and technology the world has ever seen. Making your living as a rescue swimmer – Read more

U.S. Navy Salaries