U.S. Navy
8,145 reviews

U.S. Navy Employer Reviews

Military Setting
General Dentist (Former Employee), Camp Lejeune, NCSeptember 30, 2014
Pros: educational opportunities
Cons: deployment
I enjoyed the military setting, but felt that I needed to expand my experiences as a Dentist. The Navy did allow me to grow and participate in many learning opportunities; an AEGD program as well as multiple continuing education courses.
The best branch in the united states military
Aircraft director/ Firefighter (Former Employee), USS Carl VinsonSeptember 30, 2014
Pros: seeing the world and getting to futher my education
Cons: long period away from friends and family
fast paced and your always on the go
i learned alot from the navy like disapline and how to mulitask
i manged 10 sailors under me
the hardest part of the job was being away from family for long periods of time
the most enjoyable of the job was seeing the world
Well oiled machine
STS2 (Current Employee), Honolulu, HISeptember 30, 2014
Pros: medical, dental, housing, and cost of living allowance
Cons: long working days
Come in at 0730 put out the workload to the division and participate in any ship wide drills, training or cleaning. Hardest part of the job is going out to sea for months on end and being away from your family.
Daily Operations
Work Center Supervisor (Former Employee), San Diego, CASeptember 30, 2014
Pros: leadership training, healthcare, mentoring, friendship
Cons: away from family
Typical day was conducting daily accountability and making sure everyone was where they needed to be. Then pass the word from the boss and get out the daily requirements. Make sure everyone daily their daily tasking, review order materials needed for next weeks operations and ensure materials were on hand for the daily operations. The hardest part of – more... the job was listening to a yes man, and doing task that they knew couldn't get completed. The best part was being a mentor to sailors coming up the ranks and helping them succeed. – less
US NAVY
Order Writing Specialist (Former Employee), Amityville, NYSeptember 30, 2014
Pros: benefits
Cons: time away from home
A typical day at work included showing up to work on time not knowing what would be of your day.
I learned that in the military it is mission first.
Management isn't the greatest but if you learn not to personalize things you will persevere.
In the NAVY your coworkers become somewhat like family. You learn to depend on one another to get through your – more... missions.
The hardest part of the job is the time away from home it demands.
The most enjoyable part is to be a part of such a culture. – less
navy
avation (Former Employee), californiaSeptember 30, 2014
Pros: job security
Cons: going out to sea constantly when i requested a port job
I worked on the flight deck. I was being trained how to direct flights onto the ship.
Very productive and a great place to work
Damage Controlman First Class (Former Employee), Norfolk, VASeptember 30, 2014
An typical day at work was be ready to learn and do something new. The hardest part of the job was been away from the family sometime. The most enjoyable part of the job was the traveling.
A lifestyle
Aviation Ordnanceman (Former Employee), Brunswick, MESeptember 30, 2014
This was a lifestyle not just a job. I was deployed twice in a 4 year period for 6 -7 months at a time. We had to work 6 days a week at times, but I spent most of my nights at home. This was a great organization to work for.
Proud to have served in the Navy
Machinist Mate (Former Employee), Norfolk, VASeptember 30, 2014
While the Navy does not offer a great work/life balance, I am proud to have served my country with some great men and women. The hardest part of the job is being away from loved ones so much. The most enjoyable part is the people with whom I served. It wasn't easy, and it was't supposed to be.
Great Experience
Senior Chief Petty Officer (Current Employee), Pittsburgh, PASeptember 30, 2014
I served 25+ years with the USN and am proud of the work and camaraderie I have developed. I have so much to say that I'd rather tell you in person.
USN Section Leader
Fireman/Assistant Section Leader (Former Employee), Goose Creek, SCSeptember 30, 2014
Supervised and managed over 100 enlistees on job assignments and cleaning crew. Served as second in command to section leaders. Served as head of duty drivers for enlistees. Worked with a diverse group of Seaman and Petty Officers.
USN
Operations Officer (Former Employee), Corpus Christi, TXSeptember 30, 2014
Military service of an Officer
Usually working weekends
Deployments are very tedious
Not always a family friendly Job
Great Travel and good friends
Yeoman/Petty Officer (Former Employee), World Wide locationsSeptember 29, 2014
Pros: travel
Cons: not for married people
A Career was first desired, until marriage, 4 yrs shore duty and 4 yrs sea duty as a married man, no longer suited me, I was happy as a single man to work 24hrs around the clock and be overseas for up to 9 months, but once married, it no longer suited my situation.
Went around the world
Marine Diesel Mechanic (Former Employee), UnitedstatesSeptember 29, 2014
Diesal Mechanic in the Navy was kind of a dieing rate back then. Seeing all of the different countries was a blast. Honorably discharged as an E-4. Probably should have stayed.
A one of a kind experience
Aviation Electronics Technician Second Class (Former Employee), United StatesSeptember 29, 2014
I cannot recommend enlistment enough. Few jobs offer the training and life experience afforded by military service.
Great place to serve
Customs Border Clearance Agent (Former Employee), KuwaitSeptember 29, 2014
I was inspecting different types of equipment, vehicles,cargo and personel. The only difficult part was the temperatures since we were working on the desert.
A challenging and exciting workpace
Chief Culinary Specialist, CSS-15 (Former Employee), Guam, USASeptember 29, 2014
Pros: job location
This was an exciting and challenging position in the US Navy submarine force. Everyday was a new beginning. The area of operation was on the island of Guam. It was a logistic challenge. Planning was a priority. The hardest part of the job was foresight. You had to be a predictive individual to forecast what was going to happen next.
Navy
Hospital Corpsman (Former Employee), Camp Pendleton, CASeptember 29, 2014
Enjoyed the travel and benefits. Great carrier starter. Paid from 4 years of college and all. No complaints.
U.S NAVY
Cook/E5 (Former Employee), Norfolk VirginiaSeptember 29, 2014
Pros: life learning experience
Cons: 8 months away from family
The NAVY was a life changing experience. Learning something new each and everyday. Leadership rolls no matter what your pay grade was. Supporting my co workers by giving them hot and delicious at all times. If it was coming from the bake shop and main line. I was ready for the tasks at hand. From I had to be at station at 0400 to when I got off at 2200. – more... But the hardest part of my job was being out to sea away from my family for a long period of time. – less
Military people
E-5 (Former Employee), EverywhereSeptember 29, 2014
I advanced extremely well. Hard work pays off here. Free medical and dental!!! See the world. Shoot people without getting into trouble. What's not to like?

1 2 3 4 5

About U.S. Navy

The US Navy maintains a variety of military equipment like ballistic missile submarines, aircraft carriers, surface warships, – Read more