U.S. Navy

12.4K reviews

U.S. Navy Employee Reviews

Found 11,832 reviews matching the search
An awarding experience serving my country
USSTRATCOM Elite Guard (Current Employee) –  Offutt AFB, NEFebruary 6, 2016
A typical day working I learned a lot about myself and supervising others that I could not have learned otherwise. The Navy has taught me many valuable skills that I can now use in the civilian world and I am very grateful for. It brought me to my true passion which is law enforcement and security. The most enjoyable part of the job was the satisfaction of helping people in need.
hard work out on the ship
mooring or anchor (Former Employee) –  Mayport Naval Station, FLFebruary 6, 2016
Hard working on the ship to maintain ship readiness to deploy. Long hours with work and watches to keep the ship safe. Mostly doing preservation on the ship
Productive work environment Learn to manage personnel
Team Leader - Ordnance Evolutions (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAFebruary 5, 2016
I've grown within the US Navy. I've climbed the ranks from E-1 to E-5. Had to learn how to manage personnel effectively. I've had to make quick decisions in short time frames. I've guided the careers of over 160 sailors as a Career Counselor. The hardest part of my job was going on deployments. Although I am deeply proud of my service, I'm ready to tackle the civilian world head on! The most enjoyable part of my job was helping junior sailors achieve their personal and professional goals.
Pros
Health Care, Traveling
Cons
Long hours, deployments
Navy
Utilitiesman Third Class and Company clerk (Former Employee) –  Gulfport, MSFebruary 5, 2016
This was the greatest experience of my life. I traveled to places I never though I would. I met people from all over the world. I learned many skills, including responsibility, team work and ownership for my actions.
Great
E-5 second Class Petty Officer (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAFebruary 5, 2016
I was in an environment that was very productive and great for my well being. The travel was great and I definitely loved the people that I worked with.
Pros
everything
Cons
work
Challenging, but rewarding.
System Administrator (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAFebruary 5, 2016
Dynamic environment, high-risk high-reward. The diverse training was both enjoyable, and challenging. There was a consistent push to cross-train.
Great job, just not for me
Firecontrolman (Former Employee) –  FPO, AEFebruary 5, 2016
A work day as a Firecontrolman is pretty easy when pulled into port. You come in at 0630, clean spaces, do some maintenance, and then go home at 1430 or 1500.

Management is horrible in most cases. A lot of micro management when none is needed. Also, even when you give a good idea to improve something, it gets brushed aside as if it wasn't worth it.

The co-workers are great. I have made some life time friends.

The hardest part of the day was having to do busy work. Other than that its fun for the rest of the day
Pros
Great benefits and pay
Job was enjoyable, traveled and saw amazing places,tough environment
Communications Electronics Supervisor (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAFebruary 5, 2016
The US Navy was a fulfilling temporary job. During 6 years I was able to see more places than I could have ever imagined! However, it soon becomes tiring being in the middle of the ocean for extended periods of time. Also, depending on the job/rate that you chose upon enlisting, determined how well you would advance to better positions, and I no such luck with this ordeal. Lastly, and most frustrating, the management. Due to the ranking system, those who got to the position were generally those who had been in for longer regardless of skill level or management knowledge resulting in incompetent leadership as well as leadership that does not care about its junior personnel due to a rotation at one station only being a couple years before you could change places and never worry about the people you worked with before.
Love it or Leave it I love it!
Maintenance Master Chief Petty Officer (Former Employee) –  Mayport, FLFebruary 5, 2016
22 years in the US Navy and I loved everyday of it. I learned teamwork, leadership, mentorship and what being part of a team really means. I can not describe it in a paragraph, you have to live it to know it and I did it the best way I could fast forward.
Pros
Being part of a team
Cons
Being away al lot
Productive environment with lots of travel opportunity
Blue Team Analyst (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VAFebruary 5, 2016
If you like to travel on a big gray ship and do all kinds of work that may or may not be related to your training, then this just might be for you! Great benefits, retirement plan, and very diverse workplace.
Secure but no advancement
F&B (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCFebruary 5, 2016
It is a great job but I am unable to advance in my field.
Salary and benefits typical of any other large company.
The Military can be very frustrating and is behind the times in tech
Patriotic and Fullfilling
Emergency Program Manager (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAFebruary 5, 2016
Going to work every day was a fulfilled, meaningful, and a team building experience every time! A typical work day is based around pride and professionalism, ensuring the safety and preparedness of a ship's crew for emergencies or disasters involved with military deployment. Being a part of a team filled with camaraderie every day I go to work is immeasurable. Even though the difficulty is always leaving our homeland for action and adventure over seas, it is worth the reminder of how great and free our country is. As a shipboard firefighting and flooding damage control professional, normal work included ensuring optimal operation of fire suppression systems; organizing, training, and evaluating emergency teams, and responding to crisis such as flooding, fire, and chemical, biological, and radiological events. Going to work is a new job every day!
Pros
Morale and Welfare, Teamwork, Patriotism, Job Security, Benefits
Cons
Leaving family often for extended periods of time, War/Battle
Great opportiunity to serve your country
Lieutenant, Supply Corps (Current Employee) –  Fort Dix, NJFebruary 4, 2016
Great opportunity to serve, but gets hit hard during budget crisis....making it harder and harder to stay in a secure job.
Great experience!
Hospital Corpsman (Former Employee) –  Camp Pendleton, CAFebruary 4, 2016
The military is a job you must decide you want to do no matter what comes at you. It is the military. You may work long days, you may work short days, but you will work until the job is done. Management may not be the best at times, but you will make friendships that will last a lifetime. It can be a tough job, but remember you did make a commitment.
Service
Hospital Corpsman (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAFebruary 4, 2016
Military service is not for every one but it was right for me at the time and now I am broadening my horizons and looking forward to continue the leadership and values that the Navy instilled in me and carry them on into the civilian sector.
Pros
Benefits, culture, people
Cons
Hours (sporadic)
Fast paced, intense team environment with a lot of opportunity.
Assistant Leading Petty Officer (Current Employee) –  Camp Pendleton, CAFebruary 4, 2016
A typical day of work was never the same, it was very demanding. The Navy taught me leadership, organization and to be hard working, Along with giving me a strong foundation of morals to live by. The hardest part was that you're always busy and it sometimes gets difficult to separate personal life and work. The most enjoyable part was all the life experience i obtained.
long hours and days
Machinist Mate, Third Class (E4) (Former Employee) –  Groton, CTFebruary 4, 2016
I worked long hours and had few days off, I learned how to work hard and serve my country along with learning new job skills.
Fun Work Place
Crash and Salvage (Firefighter) Line Supervisor (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAFebruary 3, 2016
Great travel, job is never the same and the friendship made are lasting. Only for those who want to make a difference and who love this Country.
Pros
Free Travel
Cons
Long periods of time away from home
Great experiences, good people, stressful at times.
MH-60S Aircrewman/Rescue Swimmer (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAFebruary 3, 2016
As a rescue swimmer, my time in the Navy gave me some of the most rewarding experiences that I will certainly miss, and while the job was very stressful and physically demanding at times, the experiences and people I worked with have had a lifelong impact.

It's not without its downsides however. Command politics, repetitive training, sleep deprivation, health hazards, and potential life-threatening situations all contribute to making this a very high-stress organization, and will not fit with those who are unable to accept those risks.
Pros
Good Training, Great Experiences, Visiting Foriegn Countries, Active-Duty and Verterans Benefits
Cons
Stressful, Repetitive, Dangerous, Physically Demanding
Great Career
Command Drug and Alcohol Program Advisor (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VAFebruary 2, 2016
The Navy is an excellent organization providing outstanding opportunity to members looking to succeed in life. It is the perfect place to develop life skills and technical experience, all while seeing the world.
Pros
Growth opportunities
Cons
Family seperation

4.5