U.S. Navy
10,227 reviews

U.S. Navy United States Employee Reviews

Great Technical Experience and great job security
Nuclear Trained Machinists Mate (Current Employee), Norfolk, VAMay 6, 2015
As a nuclear trained mechanic in the US Navy, I was given the opportunity to go through one of the thoughest academic programs in the country. I learned reactor and mechanical theory, heat transfer and fluid flow, and recieved the hands on training required to back up the theoretical knowlege.

Work hard, and some of the days were long, but overall I enjoyed the job.
excellent experience
E3 (Former Employee), Pearl Harbor, HIMay 6, 2015
Pros: meeting different people
Cons: dirty job, long hrs
while I was in the Navy I learned teamwork . On a typical day I would get up early, make sure everything was ready for my job like checking fluids for the fuel barge, making sure the officer in charge understood the rules before taking on fuel. I calculated how much fuel was on the barge and how much the ship took on. I also took part in the Naval Honor Guard which I am very proud of. The most enjoyable part of the Navy was being in Hawaii and meeting people of different Navy( Australian, Japan, Canada). I think the hardest part was that it was very physical job.
It's the Military.
Naval Aircrew Rescue Swimmer (Current Employee), Coronado, CAMay 5, 2015
Working for the NAVY is all what you want out of it. Great place to work, provides structure and discipline to members. It teaches you life skills and leadership not ordinarily provided.
Serve your term honorably
OPERATION SPECIALIST 2nd Class Petty Officer (E-5) (Former Employee), Mayport Naval Station, FLMay 5, 2015
Pros: Benefits, pay, advancement, pride in career, job experience
Cons: Some co workers, deployments can be long, not a good family/work balance, unpredictable schedules
Served 4 years honorably and I am now reaping the benefits. Serving your country honorably is definitely worth it. Every experience in the armed forces is different for every person, can be a great stepping stone or great career depending on what the individual is seeking. Enjoyed my time in.
Hooyah
Training Supervisor (Former Employee), Jacksonville, FLMay 5, 2015
It is the military take the goods with the bads. Awesome experiences and life long friends. Will impact your life in whatever way you make it.
Vast diversity.
Aviation Ordnanceman (Former Employee), Oak Harbor, WAMay 5, 2015
Pros: good pay
Cons: long work days
An ever changing environment sets the opportunity to challenge yourself if different levels of work. Never hurts to earn money, job experience and free travel.
A good military experience that I will alweays cherish
Aviation Maintenance Technician (Former Employee), Jacksonville FLMay 5, 2015
Pros: Great indoctrination for young men/women to large organized team, Opportunity to learn life lessons and travel, Educational opportunity unlike no others
Cons: Superiors could make life hard and miserable for nothing, Tolerance and intolerance was not monitored since the culture was tough
US Military service in the 1970's was a real challenge and it had not change much in the 1990's for all its members. After 4 years of Active Service, I joined the Reserve while I attended college and end up staying for retirement.
Sailor.
Interior Communications Electrician (Former Employee), East Coast, HawaiiMay 5, 2015
I learned to work well under stressful situations and categorize and prioritize projects. Planning these projects with our division and coordinating with outside personnel and resources.
Mission and team oriented, high paced work place
Inventory Manager (Former Employee), Camp Pendleton, CAMay 5, 2015
Pros: Healthcare, benefits, bonus pay, diversity and travel
Cons: Extended deployments, different work ethics
A great place to build endurance, learn about dedication and commitment while adapting to ever changing working conditions and requirements.
The Navy
Gunner's Mate Second class (Former Employee), San Diego, CAMay 5, 2015
The was good, as well as bad. The leadership was average and the advancement is senseless. All in all u give it a thumbs down.
was an adventure
Gas Turbine Mechanic (Former Employee), Norfolk, VAMay 5, 2015
was a great plcew to start a career , learn new skills, had great shipmates, travelled alot, learned my trade in the navy, enjoyed being deployed serving my country, and was a challenging place and was really an adventure.
Training was exceptional and unique
Inventory Management, Procurment (Former Employee), NASNI San Diego Ca.May 5, 2015
Pros: Travel
Cons: deployed for 6 months or more
Very good work atmosphere,Coworkers always willing to help and answer question.Ability to see and experience various worldwide cultures .
United States Navy
Administrative Supervisor (Former Employee), Norfolk, VAMay 5, 2015
Pros: Benefits and Pay
Cons: Away from family for long periods of time
The military provides a huge array of different environments and is able to meet anyone's needs. There are a lot of long working hours but the advancement is based on work ethic and knowledge. It is not a civilian employer where you would need to "befriend" to get ahead.
Military life
Navy Command Career Counselor (Former Employee), Great Lakes, ILMay 5, 2015
There is nothing that is typical about being in the military. You are either cut out for it or you are not. Uniforms required, can not do as you please, must follow orders.
14 year military veteran
Career Counselor (Former Employee), Virginia Beach, VAMay 4, 2015
Provided career assistance in the professional development of 168 Sailors and collaborated with the analysis, development and implementation of career information programs.
Supervised ten technicians in the maintenance and repairs of 110 Mobile Electrical Power Plants and associated electrical and electronic components valued at 1.6 million dollars.
Develop, edited and updated training and licensing courses and related material
Proud to have served!
Nuclear Submarine Division Manager (Former Employee), Goose Creek, SCMay 4, 2015
Pros: Excellent opportunities for personal growth, great training.
Cons: Deployments, duty days, lots of ocean, low oxygen levels (submarines), more ocean, more duty days.
It's the military...work-life balance is more of a privilege and it is one that we all knew we were sacrificing when we were sworn in. There isn't a day that goes by that I don't miss being in the military (generally speaking) but I don't really miss it either...if that makes any sense. The days were long and hard and the work was pretty thankless, however, I was proud to have served and it shaped me and my life. The stress is significant and the amount of responsibility thrust on us at such young ages is taxing, to say the least. The US Navy is, however, the best thing that happened to me at that point in my life. It gave me the training, discipline, and drive to be the successful corporate leader that I am today and I wouldn't have the family that I have today without it.
Great benefits, Subpar management
Airfield Specialist (Current Employee), Virginia Beach, VAMay 4, 2015
A typical work day, you report in the morning at 0730.
Perform daily airfield inspections and maintenance.
Lunch Break.
Clean Facility.
Depart from work.

I've learned that hard work really is noticed, and gain a plethora of knowledge in tools.

Management is relatively about self.

The hardest part is dealing with the inconsistency in leadership.

The most enjoyable part is being involved with fighter pilots.
Honorable and Courageous job with amazing benefits
2ND Class Petty Officer (Current Employee), Pearl Harbor, HawaiiMay 4, 2015
There is no such thing as a typical day in the Navy. Everything was often changing. I learned how to adapt responsibly and quickly to those changes. I also learned how to work with people with all different types of personalities. I learned I have outstanding leadership skills and others willingly follow and were eager to learn from me. My co-workers made life in the navy manageable. It was fun to work with them. The hardest part of being in the navy was being so far away from family, The most enjoyable part of the job was getting to travel to different countries and enjoying their culture.
Flight Deck Duties
Military Postal Clerk (Former Employee), California and FloridaMay 4, 2015
Pros: Learn a lot there
Cons: I have to leave for my family
Postal clerk duties. Supply Flight Deck Team Member, handle mail,luggage, food and supplies around the flight deck into the planes and helicopters. The hardest part was working long standing hours in high temperatures levels in Iraqui Freedom Operations.
Great
Training Program Manager Norfolk Naval Base (Former Employee), Norfolk, VAMay 4, 2015
Pros: Benefits
Cons: Saftey
US Naval Training Program Manager. Operations Specialist in four different ships within the US Navy. Coordinated training programs and within each command.

1 2 3 4 5

About U.S. Navy

Imagine working with the most awe-inspiring equipment and technology the world has ever seen. Making your living as a rescue swimmer – Read more

U.S. Navy Salaries