10,469 reviews

U.S. Navy Employee Reviews

Awesome place to grow leaders
Department Leader (Former Employee), VariousJune 2, 2015
Pros: Broad experience and chances to learn
I am eternally greatful that I was able to join such a team. Each command and job assignment presented opportunities to improve and build a solid basis that has served well through out my civilian life.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), USAJune 1, 2015
The U.S.Navy is for dedicated individuals that are able to be fully immersed in their work and have families that are very supportive. I only wish I could have advanced and was able to stay.
Awesome place to work and a great experience
Machinist Mate 3rd Class (Former Employee), Newport News, VAJune 1, 2015
The navy turned me into the person I am today. I learn a lot of things in the navy but the main thing is teamwork and everybody trying to accomplish the same goal. Hardest part of the job was the watch hours. most enjoyable part was the people and the friends you make.
Go Navy
Operations Manager (Former Employee), Bremerton, WashingtonJune 1, 2015
Pros: Free lunches
Cons: Free lunches
Everyone coming out of high school should have to serve. Just a couple of years to pay for college tuition. Plus the advance training available cannot be beat.
Seeing the world
Boatswain's Mate (Former Employee), San Diego, CAJune 1, 2015
Pros: Meeting new people
Cons: Bad pay
I was a young man when I joined the Navy, Days were long I spent most of my enlistment underway in the pacific ocean, Had a great time seeing new countries and the people that live there. Mid watch on the helm was what I would say was the hardest part of my job.
Productive and fun workplace to work at.
Information System Technician (Former Employee), Norfolk, VAJune 1, 2015
Pros: Benefits, medical, optometry, dental, food, and housing
Cons: Stressful and face pace oriented
A typical day would be coming into the workshop and completing the mission of the day. Once completed with the mission downtime would be use for training.
Flexible work hours, Excellent Instrumentation
Research Chemist (Current Employee), Washington, DCJune 1, 2015
Learned a lot about instrumentation and the flexible schedule allowed for time with my family. The people are friendly and easy to work around.
Serving in the United States Navy was the most rewarding thing I have ever done.
E-5/ Second Class Petty Officer (Former Employee), Norfolk, VaJune 1, 2015
Pros: free lunches, free travel, free health and dental care
Cons: deployoments, long hours
Joining the military at the age of 19 taught me how to grow up fast. I learned the value of hard work and leadership at a younger age than most. The most enjoyable part of serving in the military was getting to know all the people I served with, and became friends with. By far, the hardest part was going on two deployments overseas. Serving in the Arabian Gulf was extremely hard and challenging, but it taught me what it takes to rely on others to get through challenging times. Once I achieved the rank of E-5, I was given a substantial amount of responsibility. I was in charge of around 20 people on a daily basis at the age of 24. While this was at times challenging, it taught me a lot about how to handle problems and become an effective leader.
Diverse workplace with good people
Work Center Supervisor (Former Employee), Norfolk, VirginiaJune 1, 2015
Pros: Working with my hands
Cons: Minimal advancement within my rating
During my time in service I learned how to communicate with, work with, and manage people from various backgrounds. The most enjoyable part of the job was the satisfaction that came from serving my country.
Good Expericence
Boatswain Mate (Former Employee), San Diego, CAJune 1, 2015
Learned a lot about professionalism and hard work ethic's. Got to travel a lot and was able to be a leader in multiple work places.
A once in a lifetime experience
Aviation Quality Assurance Representative (Former Employee), Virginia Beach, VirginiaJune 1, 2015
Pros: Travel, culture, security for family
Cons: Medically retired
I enjoyed my military career and all that the U.S. Navy has provided me and my family. I was able to travel the world and see 22 countries while serving my country with honor.
Productive and fun working place
Aviation Electrician (Former Employee), San Diego, CAJune 1, 2015
Pros: Weekends and holidays
Cons: Short breaks
Maintains and repairs electrical, instrument, and power systems on various aircraft. This includes power generation, conversion, and distribution system; aircraft systems, including hydraulic, landing gear, flight control, anti-icing, rain control, anti-skid braking, fire protection, utility, and power plant and related systems; instrument systems, including aircraft engine, flight, and other indicating and warning systems; automatic flight control and stabilization systems.
Full of opportunities in training and traveling the world.
Equipment Operator (Current Employee), West Palm Beach, FLJune 1, 2015
Long days that can be stress filled are offset by the opportunity to lead and mentor others, while traveling throughout the United States and the world.

Real life experience abounds with college and journeyman classes available.

Co-workers are generally eager to support you, though need your support as well.

Juggling both home and Navy life can be challenging, but full of it's own personal and professional rewards.
A good experience to start off out of high school
Lead Supervisor (LPO) (Former Employee), Norfolk VAJune 1, 2015
Pros: Work experience in desired field
Cons: 7 Deployments plus workups in a 12 year period
gained invaluable experience and connection to be utilized in the civilian side. The position assigned to the individual will have several other responsibilities not covered or initially agreed upon during the recruiting process.
Skilled Leader
Operations Officer (Former Employee), Nas Meridian, MSJune 1, 2015
Pros: The travel
Cons: Being away from family at times
I would give the US Navy an overall excellent rating. I Navy was like being in a family. You could rely on your fellow shipmates. The management was understanding willing to listen to your ideas. The most enjoyable part was the chance to see the world.
Good advancement oppurtunities
Aviation Ordnanceman (Former Employee), Great Lakes, ILMay 31, 2015
I learned how to take the back seat and listen. I also learned how to be more of a team player instead of focusing on just myself.
I spent many hours onboard US Navy steam Propelled ships. Many days underway. That does not leave much for social life.
Senior Boil;er Operator and Technician (Former Employee), VariousMay 31, 2015
A typical day started at 5am and depending if underway or not could last till 6 pm or even longer. As a Chief Petty Officer my underway hours were six on and six off. This meant I stood Engineering Office of the Watch for six hours, then rested or tended to my Senior Boiler Technician duties and then went on watch six hours later. It wears you down.
United States Navy Great place of employment
Machinist Mate (Former Employee), Newport news VAMay 31, 2015
Pros: great benefits, I was able to see the world and gain many experience
Cons: Missed my family and a lot of family functions
A typical day at work would normally start off at around 5am and end around 5 or 6pm. I always seemed to learn something new everyday. I worked on heavy machinery from elevators to engines and many more. My co workers were like family to me and we are still connected today. the Hardest part of my job was being away from my family for months at a time. My last deployment was 9 months long, I did experience many things which was very enjoyable but I also missed out on my family growing.
U.S. Navy
Boatswain's Mate 2nd Class Petty Officer (Former Employee), San Diego, CAMay 30, 2015
Pros: Travel, Experience, Leadership, Responsibility, Diversity, Discipline
Cons: Stress, away from home, long hours
It is a life and experience unlike any other. One day I could have found myself in one end of the world and 2 days later find myself on the other side of the world at a moments notice. It is stressful and rewarding but so gratifying. I loved it and would do it all over again.
US Navy served with pride
First Class Electronic Technician (Former Employee), Pearl HarborMay 30, 2015
Pros: travel and education
Cons: 18 months drydock
Served 7+ years in the Navy.
Was stationed aboard the submarine USS Barb SSN596 for 5 years where I received the rank of E6.

1 2 3 4 5

About U.S. Navy

Imagine working with the most awe-inspiring equipment and technology the world has ever seen. Making your living as a rescue swimmer – Read more

U.S. Navy Salaries