U.S. Navy Employee Reviews

Found 18,183 reviews matching the search
Its the Militray
Calibration Petty Officer (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAJuly 21, 2017
Really I have to review the untied States Navy? this iis funny its the military. its not for all. take ti or leave it they will teach you things but will grind your soul away at the same time.
Government work
Electronics Technician (Former Employee) –  Silverdale, WAJuly 20, 2017
I personally loved the Navy. I would've stayed career if I didn't have medical issues that made it to where they wouldn't let me re-enlist. Got to see the world and work with a lot of good people.
Pros
Guaranteed work
Cons
Government work
Great career if college is not your cup of tea
Production Control, Quality Assurance Supervisor (Former Employee) –  VariousJuly 20, 2017
I have traveled all over the world and having served for 20 years, I would go back tomorrow if they asked me. I learned skills that helped me transition to civilian life.
Pros
travel
Cons
time away from family when deployed
A very tough job.
Marine corp Security Force (Former Employee) –  South CarolinaJuly 20, 2017
The Navy, like any military organization is very hard on the personal life especially when you have a family and have to be deployed for months or years on end. I completed 11 years at sea and have travel the world.
I have learned many skills and different skill sets that have helped me advance in the military and in the civilian sector. A very tight nit community with a well structured and historic culture.
Pros
Traveled the world.
Cons
Being away from the family.
US Navy- not for everyone!
Petty Officer Second Class (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJuly 20, 2017
The US Navy is a great place to cut your teeth and acquire real-life skills. They say it's not for everyone, and it's difficult to understand until you've served. Serving on board a US Navy vessel is a challenging and industrial setting where many toxic fumes from various hazardous material can infiltrate confined spaces.
Individual talent and recognition is often way-sided in preference of a big-picture outlook for the command.
I've seen the most diligent workers go unnoticed and unappreciated, but at the same time, when I advanced through the ranks, I was able to more directly and positively boost the morale of the personnel working under my supervision.
Pros
Reliable pay, health benefits, retirement savings plan, equal opportunity employer, experience in the real world, cultural impact
Cons
long hours, unclear parameters for management positions, minimal individual incentive
The Military is what you make of it.
Interior Communications Electrician (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJuly 20, 2017
I enjoyed my 4 years in the military. I was able to come out of it more patient and discipline than when I went in. With the varying work environment I learned adaptability. I also enjoyed meeting people from all over the world. A typical day at work would start with meeting my grooming standards than checking inventory of equipment. Once that was done I would conduct scheduled repairs to equipment in a timely manner. I enjoyed the military very much however I had to leave to further my career and education.
Pros
Healthcare, Job security
Cons
Being far away from family often for months at a time
Life experience
Aviation Ordnanceman (Former Employee) –  Lemoore Naval Air Station, CAJuly 20, 2017
Could be stressful depending on your job. Long hours, long deployments. My shop was more or less like a family. Must be able to be a hard worker and go the extra mile to be successful.
great place
Culinary Specialist (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAJuly 20, 2017
the navy taught me a lot of things and made me the hardworking person i am today. it taught me leadership, teamwork and organization. it also taught me discipline.
Time in Service
Cryptologic Technician Interpretive (Former Employee) –  Great Lakes, ILJuly 20, 2017
I didn't leave the Navy in the best of terms but I will always value my time in service. I came from a family with a lot of military background and the values instilled in my parents definitely transferred to their parenting styles. I always loved the stability and structure provided by the military. I learned so much, from professional bearing to Mandarin. The hardest part of the job was always being on call. Occasionally I wished that as a lower enlisted I had more a voice in management but thats just how it goes.
Pros
Stability, experience, great benefits, stayed in shape
Cons
always on call
absolutely sucked
Gas Turbine Technician Mechanical (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJuly 20, 2017
they tried to sweep a medical issue under the rug and i will forever hate the navy for that. if youre thinking about the navy... dont. once you are no longer useful to them they will throw you away like a used condom.
This is where it all starts
Medic for a Platoon Element of US Marines (Former Employee) –  Portsmouth, VAJuly 20, 2017
Proud of my service and the training that i got in leadership and got to see the world great to learn a trade or to make a career would recomend for any body
Challenging and rewarding.
Senior Chief Petty Officer (Current Employee) –  Kings Bay, GAJuly 20, 2017
Serving in the United States Navy is a very challenging and rewarding Job. It takes dedication and never ending days to succeed in this career field; However, you will build a life long brotherhood and superior attributes for the competitive work market once military service ends. The benefits gained of retiring from the US Military significantly out ways the hardships.
Pros
Payed leave; Always have a place to sleep and hot food to eat; good advancement and Pay.
Cons
long challenging days and deployments.
Awesome
Master-at-Arms (Former Employee) –  USAJuly 20, 2017
It was an experience that I loved and would want anyone to experience the same. Everyone should join the service and travel the world, not to mention you get to serve your country.
Pros
Travel, college, benefits
Cons
You could go without seeing your family for long periods of time.
Great experience and life training.
Armament weapons support equipment technician (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAJuly 20, 2017
Work days varied in the Navy depending on what mission and job was needed to be done at the time. When we were out to sea my work schedule were 12 hours shifts 6 days a week.When in port I worked a 8 hour shift. Most of the work consisted on maintenance on weapons support equipment and elevators.
N/a
Information Systems Technician (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJuly 20, 2017
I hated being in the Navy. I was very good at what I did but the military is for people who do not have a plan and have no intention of making one for their life.
Fun place to work
EM3 (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJuly 20, 2017
I recommend everyone should serve their country in the armed forces so how some way. Culture is great, brotherhood is promoted and a strong sense of camaraderie.
US Navy a place to excel
Petty Officer 2nd Class (E-5) (Current Employee) –  Honolulu, HI & Gulfport, MSJuly 20, 2017
The US Navy is what you make of it. Take advantage of the opportunities & benefits available to you. Its pretty honorable to be able to say you wore that uniform for your country.
Pros
Tuition Assistance, GI Bill, Health Care
Cons
Personal Time
Great place to work with great benefits.
Machinist Mate and Naval Officer (Former Employee) –  Little Creek, VAJuly 20, 2017
See the world, clean the ship, perform maintenance, stand the watch. If you want a challenging yet rewarding career, consider the Navy. Great health, dental, and educational benefits and you will have the experience of a lifetime here.
Productive fast pace workplace
GSE (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VAJuly 20, 2017
When I joined I had no idea what to expect. I found a huge group of support that taught me how to live, eat, sleep, and work. I built my values around the United Sates Navy. I became a hard worker through them. It was the fresh start I needed.
Pros
Saftey Nets
Cons
Healthcare
Fast Paced
(IT Helpdesk Manager) (Current Employee) –  HIJuly 20, 2017
It can be hard but so worth it all. You learn a lot of different jobs and learn to be very flexible. It is also very stressful working in a high paced location but once you get a routine down it doesn't seem so bad.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at U.S. Navy. Our community is ready to answer.

4.4