U.S. Navy
9,040 reviews

U.S. Navy Employer Reviews

Productive and Fun Workplace
Computer Engineer (Current Employee), Charleston, SCJanuary 24, 2015
Great place to work! The opportunities are endless. The most enjoyable part of the day is knowing you are making a difference.
High stress environment
GSM3, Engineroom Technician (Former Employee), Joint Base Pearl Hbr Hickam, HIJanuary 24, 2015
Pros: benefits
Cons: time away
Stressful, demanding work. It' s the military, it has its price. Thats why less than 1% of Americas population enlist. I learned alot of mechanical skills, the best people to work with in the world but some of the hardest people to work FOR! Hardest part of job is the time away from family.
Military Life
Logistics Specialist (Former Employee), Millington TNJanuary 24, 2015
Pros: the travel, i've been, seen, and lived in over 18 different countries.
Cons: not able to see your family, or having all of your own time.
Honestly it changed with duty stations. For the most part I dealt with the mail, and parts. I learn to work with others, and what team work really means. My co-works came from all walks of life, and offered me a look at not just different people, but different cultures as well. Once again management changed with commands, so it was different from place to place. The hardest part of the job was the hours. Sometimes you could have it easy, others it would be around the clock. No telling what would happen.
AMAZING
Hospital Corpsman 3rd Class, (Former Employee), Jacksonvile NCJanuary 24, 2015
It was a great experience. The training education and the life style is something that is unforgettable. I would recommend anyone who is thinking about enlisting to go for it!! The people you meet from all over the world and being able to travel is exciting.. Everything you get is earned and not given to you!!!
The best experience of my life
Aviation Electricians Mate (Former Employee), Oak HArbor, WashingtonJanuary 24, 2015
Pros: paid well, saw the world
Cons: deployments were dangerous and kept me away from family
I was an Aviation Electricians mate for my 5 years of service in the US Navy. The job taught me how to show up early, look my best, and take my job very seriously because one small mistake could cost lives.
hard work that reuires many hour
Nuclear Machinist Mate (Former Employee), NavyJanuary 24, 2015
Pros: taken care of with pay, food, housing
Cons: huge commitment with long hours and out to sea for months
work all day and all night if necessary
lots of knowledge based training that is provided for you by the navy
free food training housing medical dental
spouse and family taken care of
management can be demanding
coworkers can become a tight-knit group
rewarding work environment
Productive workplace with great benefits
Logistics Specialist 2nd Class (Former Employee), Honolulu, HI and Everett, WAJanuary 23, 2015
Pros: health and dental care, guarenteed pay, travel
Cons: being away from home
The most enjoyable part of the job was meeting new people and discovering other countries.
A typical day at work would be to clean, and provide customer service.
Management was the same as any other job. There are good ones, and there are bad ones.
Co-workers are great, unless they don't do anything and you end up doing their job, but again you will run into that issue at almost every job.
Great place to Learn!
Gunners Mate (Former Employee), FL, IL, HI, AZ, SC, PA, SC, TN, SC, FLJanuary 23, 2015
Pros: lifetime health care
U.S. Navy, Proud to have been a member of the World's Greatest Navy!
GREAT EXPERINCE OVERALL
electrician (Former Employee), NEWPORT NEWS,VAJanuary 23, 2015
Pros: great benefits
Cons: long hours
IT WAS A GREAT EXPERINCE SERVING MY COUNTRY AND GETTING TO MEET ALL TYPES OF PEOPLE AND PEOPLE WHO COME FROM ALL WALKS OF LIFE.THE HARDEST PART OF MY JOB WAS TO KNOW THAT I HAD TO LEAVE MY CHILD AT ANY TIME.
Productive environment with plenty of structure
Logistic Specialist (Former Employee), N.A.S. Willow Grove, PAJanuary 23, 2015
Pros: benefits, advancement, structure.
Cons: deployments-if you're married or have children
Very structured environment. Great training. Usually in most commands you'll find great leadership looking to build up their sailors. Pretty even work/home balance when not deployed. I truly enjoyed my time in the Navy.
productive and fun
Program Analyst GS (Former Employee), Arlington, VAJanuary 23, 2015
Pros: security
Cons: relocated
•Maintain and manage contract pricing & change request files. Ensure logs and reports are continually updated to provide cost and billing data to management teams.
•Follow up with General Contractors for billing and payment issues
•Assist in maintaining purchase orders and material purchases records (Data entry and file maintenance, and more as needed)
•Ability to obtain notary certification
•Provide general office support for the Operations Coordinator as requested.
— Mail distributions, meeting arrangements, photocopying, faxing, office supply inventory, filing.
— Special Projects as assigned.
•Ability to juggle multiple projects with accuracy
•Strong sense of urgency and problem solving skills
•Attention to detail with strong organizational & administrative skills
•Team player with a positive attitude
The Navy offered a vast majority of leaders who taught me many lessons.
third class petty officer I supervised (Former Employee), San diego , CaliforniaJanuary 23, 2015
Pros: three meals a day, pay, health care, location
Cons: overnight stay, gone for weeks at a time, deployment
My first command was very different from the last. At my first command the USS San Diego LPD22 i went through many phases of the ship & crews readiness for deployment. During last phase the day started at 5:45 am through 5:30pm, my supervisors would delegate the assignments to us the " work supervisors " who would take a groups of sailors to complete a task. In the mornings i would handle all the paperwork necessary for the day, taking muster, preparing training reports, and any other documents my superiors instructed me to make ready. Say for example we are doing preventative maintenance, i would directed my group to gather supplies needed for the assignment and give a plan for how i expected work to executed. By the end of the day myself and the rest of the work supervisors would meet with our supervisors to share our progress for the day. Before we let anyone go for the day we would gather everyone and divide them into pairs to clean our spaces on the ship own by our department. At the San diego many of our assignments called for more time than we where allotted, i learned time management and how to handle subordinates under great stress.The hardest part of the this job was the work environment it self it was very fast paced with long hours, and very abrasive individuals above me in my chain of command. At the same time it prepared me for any stressful environment i may encounter in the future. The best part of the job was working side by side with my subordinates, their characters made the hard times enjoyable and we often enjoyed the work itself.
N/A
Chief (Current Employee), Milton FlJanuary 23, 2015
Senior enlisted person of a 40 person unit. Represent the Commanding Officer, communicating the commander's goals and direction for the command to the enlisted workforce, while simultaneously representing the enlisted personnel's views and concerns to the commander. Enhance communication and foster a better understanding of the needs and viewpoints of all members of the Navy family. By advising, consulting, and participating in the senior leadership team; play a role in the continuous improvement of the command. Advise all Navy members on personnel policies, programs, ideas, and opportunities pertinent to their well-being, allowing the mission to continue. Report directly to the commander and keep the chain of command aware and informed of sensitive and current issues whenever appropriate.
Fast-paced work environment
Aviation Machinist Mate (Former Employee), Lemoore, CAJanuary 23, 2015
Pros: great benefits and associates to work with
Cons: deployments away from family
A normal day at work would consisted of many things. For the most part, we would conduct any maintenance on any aircraft that had an open work order which usually consisted of removing and replacing components on the aircraft. If nothing was open, we would spend our time training and studying for any qualifications needed for our job. Being in the military, I've learned so much. Just to name a few things; being more discipline and being patient with other associates.My fellow co-workers played a big role in my development as a mechanic. From on-the-job training and studying for qualifications after working hours. I would have to say the the hardest part about being in the military was being months away from family. The most enjoyable was being to see the pilots leave for the mission without any delays or any problems with the aircraft. Overall, I enjoyed my time in the military and i just loved being in the avaition field.
Great Job and Life Experience
Master at Arms (Military Police) (Former Employee), Guam and Chesepeake, VirginiaJanuary 22, 2015
Pros: brotherhood, community
Cons: workplace drama when it happened
I truly enjoyed working in the Navy, I got to see a lot of things and got to work in the field that most interests me.

Work was always busy, we were constantly moving from one thing to the next. Training on weapons or tactical movements, first aid anything that we had to deal with out in the field or on deployment or while we were doing law enforcement. I learned a lot of things, conflict resolution skills, skills in using weapons and force appropriatly, when and when not to use force, verbal judo and how to remain aware of your surroundings and of situations. Management was great for the most part, they really wanted to help you succeed in and out of the military and would do what ever they could do to help. The co-workers were something I never got to experience outside of the military and that was brotherhood, they had your back in more than just the work place, it was actually like a family. The hardest part of the job really for the most part was not knowing what was next or things of that nature. My most enjoyable part of the job was either successfully helping someone in need or when I would get to go on deployments, we always were having fun on deployments, even when we had to do 6 hours on and 6 hours off it was fun, I loved watching everything that was going on and providing security.
Professional and Experience that will last a life time
Maintenance Administrative Clerk (Former Employee), Norfolk, VAJanuary 22, 2015
Pros: benefits and tuition paid in full
Cons: being away from family
Working with the Navy provided me with a structure I can use in an everyday work place. I've learned through the experience how to deal with stressful situations and professionalism in the workplace. The hardest part of the job was being away from the family for long periods of time. But in the end the experience I was provided is helping continue my career I need to pursue something in the nursing field.
Great Career in the Navy
Military Liaison / Damage Control Coordinator (Current Employee), Virginia Beach, VAJanuary 22, 2015
Pros: benefits, job security, travel the world
Cons: away from the family
I loved serving in the Navy for the past 23 years and look forward to moving on to a new career. One of the best things I enjoyed the most about the Navy was meeting different people from different areas of the world. It was good to serve with so many good people. You never knew what you were going to encounter when you came to work, everyday something new was thrown at you to handle. The hardest part was being deployed and spending time away from the family. I will miss it but I am ready to move on to a new life.
Mixed Emotions about transitioning out of the US NAVY
Nuclear Programs Coordinator (Current Employee), New York, NYJanuary 22, 2015
Pros: great benefits, extensive ojt
I am grateful for the opportunities afforded by the Naval Nuclear Program, Uniquely, my entire engineering base experience is built on top of what they would refer to as the "Six Pillars of Naval Nuclear Propulsion". Integrity, Formality, Procedural Compliance, Level of Knowledge, Questioning Attitude, and Forceful Backup are essential to all aspects of Engineering and my evaluated stellar performance, both on and off the submarine, is a direct emulation of those pillars.
Perferct place to start in life
Ships Serviceman Second Class(E-5) (Former Employee), Long Beach, CAJanuary 22, 2015
Pros: travel
Cons: travel, watch duties
This was the most influential time in my life. Grew a lot as a man. The hardest part was being at the bottom of the ranks and having to really earn my rank.
The most enjoyable part was the travel and gaining wisdom from senior members
Military Life
Electronics Technician (Former Employee), Norfolk, AnnapolisJanuary 22, 2015
Work in the Navy was typical 7-4 or 5 pm (1700).
Trained to troubleshoot and maintain a lot of electronic equipment.
Coworkers were hit and miss.
Hardest part of the job was having to be away so much.
Most enjoyable part of the job was going places.

1 2 3 4 5

About U.S. Navy

The US Navy maintains a variety of military equipment like ballistic missile submarines, aircraft carriers, surface warships, – Read more