U.S. Navy
8,131 reviews

U.S. Navy Employer Reviews

Great Travel and good friends
Yeoman/Petty Officer (Former Employee), World Wide locationsSeptember 29, 2014
Pros: travel
Cons: not for married people
A Career was first desired, until marriage, 4 yrs shore duty and 4 yrs sea duty as a married man, no longer suited me, I was happy as a single man to work 24hrs around the clock and be overseas for up to 9 months, but once married, it no longer suited my situation.
Went around the world
Marine Diesel Mechanic (Former Employee), UnitedstatesSeptember 29, 2014
Diesal Mechanic in the Navy was kind of a dieing rate back then. Seeing all of the different countries was a blast. Honorably discharged as an E-4. Probably should have stayed.
A one of a kind experience
Aviation Electronics Technician Second Class (Former Employee), United StatesSeptember 29, 2014
I cannot recommend enlistment enough. Few jobs offer the training and life experience afforded by military service.
Great place to serve
Customs Border Clearance Agent (Former Employee), KuwaitSeptember 29, 2014
I was inspecting different types of equipment, vehicles,cargo and personel. The only difficult part was the temperatures since we were working on the desert.
A challenging and exciting workpace
Chief Culinary Specialist, CSS-15 (Former Employee), Guam, USASeptember 29, 2014
Pros: job location
This was an exciting and challenging position in the US Navy submarine force. Everyday was a new beginning. The area of operation was on the island of Guam. It was a logistic challenge. Planning was a priority. The hardest part of the job was foresight. You had to be a predictive individual to forecast what was going to happen next.
Navy
Hospital Corpsman (Former Employee), Camp Pendleton, CASeptember 29, 2014
Enjoyed the travel and benefits. Great carrier starter. Paid from 4 years of college and all. No complaints.
U.S NAVY
Cook/E5 (Former Employee), Norfolk VirginiaSeptember 29, 2014
Pros: life learning experience
Cons: 8 months away from family
The NAVY was a life changing experience. Learning something new each and everyday. Leadership rolls no matter what your pay grade was. Supporting my co workers by giving them hot and delicious at all times. If it was coming from the bake shop and main line. I was ready for the tasks at hand. From I had to be at station at 0400 to when I got off at 2200. – more... But the hardest part of my job was being out to sea away from my family for a long period of time. – less
Military people
E-5 (Former Employee), EverywhereSeptember 29, 2014
I advanced extremely well. Hard work pays off here. Free medical and dental!!! See the world. Shoot people without getting into trouble. What's not to like?
Honest Military Experience
UN Airman (Former Employee), Everett, WASeptember 29, 2014
Pros: travel, structure, discipline
Cons: can lack independency
Graduating from Basic Training was the beginning of one of my greatest achievements. The U.S. Navy can allow you opportunities to travel the world. You meet many people and quickly learn discipline and structure. If you are someone who likes to stay grounded in one place, it is not likely it will happen in the service. It is understood that you may – more... not be located at one station during you contracted career. You also may not experience as much independency because there are always people surrounding you and it can be like a family. Either a family environment that you can live with or one that you cant wait to get away from. I always encourage anyone who has interest in the military to make an attempt to go to college first. If this is not an option make sure you learn about the great opportunities for education while serving. Joining the service without a specific job title (Undesignated) may not offer the best jobs. Leadership has a huge role in your experience. If your leaders are honest and fair, it may be more enjoyable. – less
Very life-changing
Operations Specialist (Former Employee), Lawton, OKSeptember 29, 2014
Serving in the military was very enjoyable yet very challenging at the same time. Deployments and being away from family was the hardest part. The learning experiences, traveling, and the friends made really made the whole experience worth while.
An adventure that you live!
Electricians Mate Third Class (Former Employee), San Diego, CASeptember 29, 2014
Pros: free healthcare for me and my family.
Cons: you live your job. still kind of a "pro" though.
Typical!? No typical in the NAVY. Everyday was a balls to the wall action packed endeavor!
I learned A lot! Basic electrical engineering, hazmat, troubleshooting, shooting, fire fighting, deflooding, leadership, how to drive a boat, and much much more.
Management and I got along nicely.
My co-workers were my brothers.
The hardest part of the job were – more... the long hours away from home.
The most enjoyable part of the job, was the job. – less
Travel while providing global security
Petty Officer Third Class/ Army sergeant (Current Employee), San Diego CA/ Fort Knox, KYSeptember 29, 2014
My time in the Navy was an outstanding life experince. Gaining the needed work ethic and growth as an individual and team member. My only regret is that I wish i could have stayed longer, however I recived an oppurtunity to further my abilites in the United States Army. I have since become a leader and mentor to Soldiers striving to take their place – more... in history. – less
Enjoyed immensely, wish I would've stayed enlisted
Military Police Officer (Former Employee), Lemoore, CASeptember 28, 2014
Pros: benefits, coworkers
Cons: different rules then non military
Can only say I loved the military and grew a lot. Learned how to overcome obstacles, work well with others, learned about interpersonal skills. Made me who I am.
Always a new experience, a sense of self pride
Watch Commander (Former Employee), Atlanta, GASeptember 28, 2014
Pros: seeing the world.
Cons: deployments
Typical day can consist of working in the lab to training for a hostile situation, or training coworkers to ensure they are ready in any situation. I learned the foundation of leadership and discipline. We must prepare to work at the next pay grade at all times.

Management will change in due time, or your will change your location. Coworkers understood – more... the team concept because it takes all of the people to complete the mission.

The hardest part will be the deployments and the unknown events that can happen during a daily workday.

The most enjoyable part of the job is seeing the world! – less
The life on the sea was great for me
boatswainmate (Former Employee), Long Beach, CaSeptember 28, 2014
Pros: there was always room for advancement
Cons: the ruff seas
everyday was a learning experience during my tour of duty in the U.S.Navy
US NAVY
HULL TECHNICIAN (Former Employee), Norfolk,VaSeptember 28, 2014
Had a great experience in the NAVY traveling and learning my craft I would recommend to anyone.
discipline
Boatswain Mate (Former Employee), Norfolk, VaSeptember 27, 2014
It taught me what to value and made me appreciate the authenticity of hard work.
Long and rewarding hours training junior personnel in the Bosunmate Rate
Chief Bosunmate (Former Employee), San Diego, CASeptember 27, 2014
Pros: travel, doing things few people ever get to do, great benefits, respectable pay.
Cons: takes you away from your family for extended periods and you miss so much, lack of sleep, lack of privacy.
As a Chief Bosunmate in the US Navy you have an awesome amount of responsibility and accountability to your chain of command, and your junior personnel. You are responsible for the training, safety, and growth of up to 40 personnel at different times. You teach them the job and skills you have been doing all your life and love, and you love it when – more... they succeed and advance in there career. You do things like land helicopters on small moving decks at night with no lights with lives and equipment at stake if a wrong move or decision is made. You move from flight deck operations to an Underway Replenishment where your ship is 100-150 feet from another moving at 15 knts, connected by highly tensioned lines, and pumping thousands of gallons of fuel oil across through a giant rubber hose. You are soaking wet and cold as waves crash over you, but you take pride and satisfaction of getting it done and keeping your ship on station and mission ready. You often work 20 hours a day at sea, and get little rest with constant training, work, and events happening that make the days seem never ending. You get exhausted, but the drive and desire to do the job right and train your junior personnel, your kids as you call them, keeps you going.
It hurts when you can't be at home when your family needs you, you leave your wife alone, often thousands of miles from your families in areas she is not familiar with, and you worry that something could go wrong and you won't be there to help her. That fear never leaves you, but it is part of the job. – less
Not just a job, An adventure
Chief Petty Officer (Former Employee), VariouseSeptember 27, 2014
Pros: skills taught and adventures
Cons: limited amount of time you can work there
True to the statement the Navy is a great place to work. I served overseas and in different places around America. I traveled the world and seen some amazing things. I did see some things I wish I never saw as well.
Productive Self-Motivated Easy to get along with.
Intelligence Specialist & Personnel Specialist (Former Employee), Washington , DCSeptember 27, 2014
I have learned how to deal with fast paced and hostile situation. My co-workers and I get the job done but have fun no matter what. Because in the end if you aren't loving what you are doing then you shouldn't be doing it. The part I like most about my job was the people.

1 2 3 4 5

About U.S. Navy

The US Navy maintains a variety of military equipment like ballistic missile submarines, aircraft carriers, surface warships, – Read more