U.S. Navy
9,416 reviews

U.S. Navy Employer Reviews

professional with rank structure for advancement
Ship Serviceman (Current Employee), Norfolk, VAFebruary 27, 2015
Pros: health care, advancement, steady pay
Cons: not choosing duty stations
while in the military I have worked at multiple commands. A typical day in the beginning of my career would have been receiving, storing, and displaying merchandise for ships morale but now in my career I work in customer service to provide worldwide assistance to military and civilian callers. Being in the military I've learned organization, how to work efficiently and effectively under pressure, to lead train and supervise, and to adjust quickly to changing environments. The most enjoyable part of my job is the chance to grow and advance. The worse of my job would have to be the instability and the inability to choose my next duty station is the reason I am choosing to transition back to a civilian life.
meet new people.
MD (Former Employee), CaliforniaFebruary 27, 2015
they can have fun and be strict at the same time. it was nice to meet new faces and learn a large set of skills and rolls. fun to travel and get paid to protect the world
fun place to work
Work Center Supervisor (Former Employee), San Diego, CAFebruary 27, 2015
There nice people around and like to help. Travel around the world for free the pay check with good looking number too.. Fantastic working experience.
Challenging work, closely knit community.
Fire Controlman (Current Employee), Norfolk, VAFebruary 27, 2015
Pros: great benefits, job security, comradery.
Cons: deploying, 72 hour-long work days, hectic and unpredictable work schedule.
A day in the life of an Aegis Fire Controlman begins at 0700 on-board the ship where our superiors give us either weekly or daily tasks. We break from that to clean and organize our working areas. by 0830 work officially starts. A spy radar tech we accomplish our daily/weekly maintenance. the routine maintenance includes taking test readings of our equipment to ensure proper operability, Making adjustments either on the radar's integrated computer or on the components themselves. Finally, if the radar is faulty I would work tirelessly through the day and night either diagnosing the problem or removing and replacing parts to repair the fault.

Working as a radar technician in the Navy I have learned 3 quintessential things; Quality work comes from scrupulous attention to detail, thorough knowledge of equipment (not afraid to ask questions/look up necessary info), and strict adherence to prescribed procedures.

The most important factor to management is the transfer of knowledge. Everybody must be up to date with the systems status.

Without team-work, nothing can get accomplished. The Navy fosters a professional working environment in which everybody can depend on everybody else.

The hardest part of the job is, by far, deploying. Being apart from everything that is familiar for 7 months at a time is a personal challenge.

The most enjoyable part of the Navy is the satisfaction of knowing that what you did wasn't just a trivial job for a paycheck. It is knowing that the ship will be able to protect herself and, in so doing, will protect America from her enemies. Knowing that what I do will save lives is incredibly rewarding.
High tempo work environment
Fire Controlamn First class (Current Employee), Norfolk, VAFebruary 27, 2015
Pros: benefits, advancement, travel
Cons: working hours, poor leadership, horrible time management from seniors
An average day at work consisted of a lot. It would start with morning quarters where I put out the plan for our division. We were involved in a lot from maintenance on weapons systems, training, career development, and admin work. I learned how to truly become a leader during my time in the Navy. I worked with a wide range of personalities and had to manage and supervise them all day to accomplish our daily tasks. The hardest part was being away from the family so much from my deployments to working an average of 12 hours a day. The best part was being able to see various countries that I never dreamed I'd be able to go to.
Go Navy!!
Aviation Ordnanceman (Former Employee), Everett, WAFebruary 27, 2015
Pros: travel the world, benefits, and new experience
Cons: being away from home and family
It was definitely hard work, at least after boot camp and training. A real commitment and you have to be dedicated to serving your country.
Fun flying, great travel
Naval Aviator (Former Employee), FL, TX, CA, JapanFebruary 27, 2015
Pros: nothing and i mean nothing compares to being shot off the pointy end of a carrier, except maybe landing on one.
Cons: long deployments.
Once a pilot earns their wings then the real work starts. Long hours. If you fly anything that deploys on a ship then standby for extended time at sea. Learning the working aspects of an aircraft carrier is fascinating, but after 4 cruises it got old for me.
Worlds Greatest Navy
Antiterrorism Force Protection Security Specialist (Former Employee), US, OverseasFebruary 27, 2015
Great place to work and serve your country. Enjoyed the time a served in various locations around the world. I would do it again if I had the chance and able.
Great Experience
Collections Manager; Front Line Supervisor (Current Employee), Washington, DCFebruary 27, 2015
The U.S. Navy has been a great overall experience for me. It has taught me to always be adaptive, confident, and the importance of team work. I love everything that is has allowed me to do through out my enlistment, and cheerish all of the relationships and experience I have as a result of it.
Amazing unique experience
Petty Officer Third Class (Former Employee), San Diego, CAFebruary 27, 2015
Pros: fun, challenging
Cons: full time all year round
Long rewarding hours. Incredible life experience is learned. Build strong bonds with co-workers, they become almost family. Management is ready to assist in any needs to improve productivity. Fun exciting once in a life time opportunity to serve in the Military.
Awesome
Gunner's Mate (Former Employee), Norfolk, VAFebruary 26, 2015
It was the best experience of my entire life. I wanted to make a career out of it but my rate was overmanned. I was able to launch 55 missiles before I was discharged. It was really fun and I got to see the world in the process. They also paid for me to get my BA degree.
Very busy
Aviation Structural Mechanic (Former Employee), San Diego, CAFebruary 26, 2015
Pros: experiance gained
Cons: no set hours, could work 8hrs could work 18hrs.
Assisted in Command Readiness with Inspections, documentation, working with high ranking individuals to keep training and licensing up to date, as well as safety reports.
Typical work day is busy. When not working on reports, i assisted in trouble shooting systems for multiple commands.
Most enjoyable part of the job was the people i worked with. Hardest part of the job was working with higher ranks.
Military
Military (Former Employee), San Antonio, TXFebruary 26, 2015
fun

hard tough work

good team work

good travel

not much down time

work more hours then sleep

learned more about guns and mechanics
The U. S. Navy is a good place to work.
Senior Manager (Current Employee), Port Hueneme, CAFebruary 26, 2015
The U. S. Navy gives you great training and the opportunity to advance in the ranks, advancement is unlimited if you take advantage of it.
Proud to have served in the greatest Navy.
Evaluator Supervisor (Former Employee), Coronado, CAFebruary 26, 2015
Typical day starts with a morning muster to ensure everyone is accounted for. A morning meeting occurs,then tasks and priorities are given through the chain of command to ensure execution of tasks.During the day,the status is updated for each task and the chain is notified when tasks are completed.

I learned an abundance of skills such as teamwork, leadership, work ethic, and our guiding principles of honor, courage and commitment.

In the Navy management is referred as leadership and chain of command.

Co-workers were my fellow sailors or shipmates.Good teamwork with co-workers was key.

The hardest part of the job was leaving the family for extended periods.

The most enjoyable part of the job was knowing that you were a part of the greatest Navy of the world and contributed to accomplishing great things.
Very professional work place.
Petty Officer Third Class (Former Employee), Dahlgren, VAFebruary 26, 2015
You develop a relationship with your job, your shipmates, and your country that you cannot find in any other profession.
its not just a job but an adventure
PNSN Educations services/Service Records Clerk (Former Employee), United statesFebruary 26, 2015
want to travel? not sure what to do after high school? Don't want to worry about being shot at? Then join the NAVY, its not just a job its an adventure.
Excellent Training and Skill Developement
Assistant Quality Assurance Officer (Current Employee), Bangor, WAFebruary 26, 2015
Pros: advancement opportunities
Cons: time spent on deployments / away from family
Typical work day varies greatly by assigned rating.

All ratings provide excellent skill development and advancement opportunities for those with a good work ethic.

Leadership varies by command and changes often, providing invaluable skills for adapting to different leadership styles and in developing your own leadership abilities.

Work groups (divisions) are tight-knit groups of individuals, in large part due to the amount of time you will spend together while at sea.

Most enjoyable aspects of this job are related to the visits conducted at foreign ports. Some ratings will experience less of the port visits than others.
Its what you make it to be.
Aviation Electrician's Mate Third Class (Current Employee), NAF Atsugi, JapanFebruary 26, 2015
A place where you take all your High school views and expand them with others. Not really a place for people with social difficulties. Demands many hours and dedication.
the best job i ever had
Awards Clerk (Former Employee), San Diego, CAFebruary 26, 2015
Pros: good people, great job satisfaction
Cons: can no longer remain in due to disability
worked as a parachute rigger 2nd class and worked on emergency aircraft equipment and aircrew survival gear. managed equipment for 6, 90 million dollar aircraft and deployed to several overseas assignments. worked on E2-C hawkeye aircraft and helped manage production and fabrication deadlines as well as mange crew and training schedules. later managed awards and merger of east coast and west coast wing commands.

1 2 3 4 5

About U.S. Navy

The US Navy maintains a variety of military equipment like ballistic missile submarines, aircraft carriers, surface warships, – Read more