U.S. Navy
7,764 reviews

U.S. Navy Employer Reviews

Disciplined and great teamwork environment
Machinist Mate Third Class (Current Employee), Norfolk Va.August 18, 2014
Pros: job security, all benefits for my family and myself.
Cons: being away from family, duty days and deployment.
A typical day consists of beginning the weeks maintenance on hydraulic, compressed air, and refrigeration systems, and troubleshooting any equipment that wasn't in proper working condition.

Management worked at my level and helped me with anything I ask assistance on

Co-workers are motivated and always in high spirits especially when it means getting – more... a job done.

The hardest part of the job is not getting to spend time with my family as much as I would like to.

The most enjoyable part of the job is being able to see the world and learn about new cultures while at the same time learning a career building job. – less
A very difficult, but rewarding job.
Electronics Technician First Class (Former Employee), San Diego, CA, Bremerton, WA, Everett, WA.August 18, 2014
Long days, 24 hour duty every 4th day- six hours on six hours off, deployments and under ways where you are gone anywhere from a week to eight months.

If you can get past that it's not so bad.
Great Organization
Administrative Operations Manager (Former Employee), Indianapolis, IN, Memphis, TN, Whidbey Island, WAAugust 18, 2014
Great opportunity for training, security, advancement, travel, and personal achievement and accomplishment.
Productive, Professional Environment
Training Coordinator (Former Employee), Lemoore, CAAugust 18, 2014
Occasionally had some rough moments. Deployments kept me away from my family and friends. I became proficient in Microsoft Office. We managed training records for 1000 sailors. Managers rotated on a yearly basis. The best part of the job was the job security. The worst part was being away during deployments and the occasional 70 hour weeks.
United States Navy
Second Class Petty Officer (Former Employee), Norfolk, VAAugust 18, 2014
Pros: pay, free basic needs - shelter, food, healthcare, great co-workers, 30 days vacation, free education
Cons: the stress of the jobs, dealing with rank structure, politics.
A typical day at worked started with formation at 0545 and receiving the plan of the day. I worked on the Gas Free Engineering Systems and had an extra duty of maintaining the qualifications of the ship in Damage Control aspects.

I learned a great deal about military politics, personal growth, and management skills.

Management here is always in training – more... and learning new skills. Some people have great interpersonal skills, while others are new and are still learning.

With a team of over 80 people, some of the co-workers were great to be around, while others just seemed to be there or didn't care.

The hardest part of the job is learning the politics of the military and finding your niche to fit in.

The most enjoyable part of the job is meeting great people and having lasting friendships later on. – less
life changing a place of belonging
Youth Leader (Former Employee), Virginia Beach, VAAugust 18, 2014
working as a youth leader for the united states navy was a rewarding experience.the hardest part of the job was having a child in my group leave, due to a parent being stationed somewhere else.The most enjoyable part of my job was observing the youth group i was assigned to work with grow and use the tools I taught them in their daily lives.
Exciting and Challenging
LCS SUW DET 3 Senior Enlisted Leader (Current Employee), San Diego, CAAugust 18, 2014
Pros: pay, benefits and job security
Cons: separation of family and some restrictions on advancing your career.
The US Navy and Military is structured and predictable - which I like and look forward to but won't mind having a little more freedom of my own schedule. Unique experiences, constantly working with new people and on different jobs all over the world with cutting edge equipment. I have experienced many different leadership / management styles, been trained – more... on a number of schools, both military and civilian. Hardest part of this job is the separation of family, but at the same time the best part of this job is the travel. – less
Great Place
Expeditor, Night Shift Supervisor (Former Employee), Norfolk, VAAugust 18, 2014
Pros: great benefits, lifelife friendships, contributing to the greater good of the country
Cons: away from family while on deployment
Great leadership that is always there to help guide you threw problems/ questions/ issues that may arise.
Variety of jobs
IC2 (Former Employee), Orlando, FLAugust 18, 2014
Pros: job security
Cons: was not a female world when i was on active duty.
I had several jobs in the navy. As a Recruit Company Commander (Navy Drill Sergeant and my favorite job) not only did I train recruits to be recruits I also taught classed on Chemical and Biological Warfare, Damage Control and Firefighting, Survival at Sea. I taught recruits how to swim and float and pass the swim and physical training requirements – more... to pass boot camp. – less
A great place to work and learn
Computer Engineer (Current Employee), Orlando, FLAugust 17, 2014
I was very fortunate to have been mentored by the senior visual engineer. I've been able to work on a variety of projects and learn a great deal in the 3.5 years that I've worked at NAWCTSD. The work I've done has improved training systems that are used around the world.
Teaches young people job and life skills.
Aviation Hydraulic Mechanic (Former Employee), Lemoore Naval Air Station, CAAugust 17, 2014
I enjoyed my time in the service, got schooling and travel. Would recommend a four year enlistment to every young person.
Submarines demanded a lot from their crew, but it was rewarding
Fire Control Technician (Former Employee), Pearl Harbor, HIAugust 17, 2014
Pros: being counted among the best in the navy. earning your dolphins
Cons: don't expect to have a rich personal life. you won't have a personal life.
There wasn't really a "typical" day on the submarine. You had your regular tasks but the mission was always evolving, there was always training to be done, there was always something to learn, and there was most definitely always something to fix.
Be prepared to lose sleep. Be prepared for a change of plans. It will happen. It will happen a lot.
Submarine – more... service is its own reward. – less
Room for Improvement Always Exists
Electronics Systems Supervisor (Current Employee), Norfolk, VAAugust 16, 2014
Pros: technical training, networking, travel, life experience
Cons: quality of life, not family-friendly, bureaucratically constrained, organizational management too varient in quality
Probably the greatest quality about the US Navy from my perspective, is the vocational benefits it provides.

Not many opportunities exists like the Navy for those who cannot afford technical training and college to gain the preferred work experience that is prerequisite to competitively perform to meet modern demand for skilled labor.

The jobs in – more... the Navy vary in quality, I can only speak for my own. I've learned a lot about electronics, and how to fix them. This is my favorite part of my job. You meet some great folks, and a lot of not so great folks, but that is as it is everywhere.

Management is generally subpar, with the exception of some folks that are phenomenal managers and the margin between these two layers is staggering. This can happen since in many cases, talent and ability isn't an overwhelming factor in the determination of who is a manager.

The job isn't very friendly to family life, regardless of the emphasis the US Navy asserts. The occupational requirements of being part of the US Navy inherits a imbalance with family related obligations. Scientific studies support that there exists a re-integration period for the family to experience following long absences between the service member and their respective families. Not to suggest that this is show-stopping, many people complete their careers and have a happy family life. Though because of separation and readjustment and re-integration, this job is objectively arduous for family and the service member, and this can be said because this occupation is unique and requires substantial more travel than the rest of the work market.

In closing, I submit the US Navy as one of the best equal opportunity employers to serve as a stepping stone, or a doorway to greater opportunities for future employment and education. – less
A tough Day's Work
Maintenance Supervisor (Former Employee), Bremerton, WAAugust 16, 2014
Pros: travel
Cons: military
You'll be gone a lot, and paid lightly. The job isn't very satisfying, but the pay is consistent without undulation. Enjoy the friends you make and seeing the world.
Great place to learn about job commitment and teamwork
Air Operations Radar Technician (Former Employee), NAS Patuxent River, MDAugust 16, 2014
Pros: job security and benefits
Cons: physically demanding
Typical days started around 6am with exercise. worked long shift many times with around the clock coverage needed. Had to learn to work with co-workers from many different backgrounds and varying degrees of education.
Greatly enjoyed being part of a productive team and serving my country
Proud navy vet.
Quatermaster (Former Employee), VirginiaAugust 15, 2014
Pros: travel
Cons: time away from love ones.
Joining the navy was the smartest decision I ever made. While deployed coworkers become friends then family. I would recommend it to anyone not sure on what career path they want to follow. Traveling the world was priceless. Im grateful that I had the the chance to represent the U.S Navy. If given a second opportunity I would have join right out of – more... high school again. – less
Great travel Experience and fun to work at.
Aviation Maintenance Administration (Former Employee), Bremerton, WAAugust 15, 2014
Pros: housing, food, electricity and water were all payed for.
Cons: a lot of work and time spent away from home.
My days were filled with work that made the work go by faster. I was able to learn how to respect authority, and how to always be punctual. The management to was great and I enjoyed working with them. My co-workers made my 12 hour shifts bearable. The hardest part of this job was being away from my family for long periods of time. The most enjoyable – more... times were traveling to different countries and experiencing new things. – less
An unforgettable journey.
Aviation Boatswains mate (Former Employee), Norfolk, VAAugust 15, 2014
Pros: travel experience.
Cons: being away for long periods of time.
The majority of the day would be spent preforming minor on the spot repairs during flight operations. Which would also include movement of aircraft around the flight deck as well as using elevators to move them from the hanger bay to the flight deck.

I based my life on the core elements that the military embodies. namely honor in a hard days work, – more... courage to meet and challenge presented, and commitment to my job.

Management was tough as normal but i respected them as our safety and completion on the mission was a top objective. Also they where always pushing and assisting us with taking the necessary steps for advancement.

The hardest part with most military careers is being away from home six months to a year.

Also with that being said, the most enjoyable part was the opportunity to travel to various countries throughout the world. – less
Comfortable workplace.
Information Systems Technician (Former Employee), Pensacola, FLAugust 15, 2014
Pros: free breakfast, lunch, dinner, and housing.
IT "A" School. Consisted of learning computer Hardware and Software Achieved my A+ certification in the process. Management and co-workers were great and worked well together to achieve the necessary goals.
Not for everyone, but is rewarding
Hospital Corpsman (Former Employee), Twentynine Palms Base, CAAugust 15, 2014
Pros: benefits, learn skills, culture, brothers in arms, satisfaction
Cons: difficult higher ups, abnormal work hours, time away from family
The military is a tough place to be if you enter expecting everyone to bow down to you. But if you put in the time, effort, and enthusiasm, you can have a successful career and feel that your time was rewarding.

1 2 3 4 5

About U.S. Navy

The US Navy maintains a variety of military equipment like ballistic missile submarines, aircraft carriers, surface warships, – Read more