U.S. Navy
6,685 reviews

U.S. Navy Employer Reviews

Military Service
Loadmaster Instructor Operations Supervisor (Former Employee), Kaneohe, HIApril 16, 2014
Pros: world travel, excellent pay, benefits
Cons: contiuously working extended hours, world-wide.
Challenging and rewarding, travelled the world many times over, worked with nothing less than superb fellow Americans, proudly serving our country. Long hours over many years of service builds character, new responsibilities and time management shape your future. The people I served with were second to none.
Educational and excellent job security
SECRETARY/MANAGEMENT ANALYST/TRAINING COORDINATOR (Former Employee), Washington, DCApril 16, 2014
Pros: never boring
Cons: never boring
A typical day at work included:

Organizaing & developing training procedures manuals/guides and course materials;

Assess training needs through surveys, talking to employees & consulting w/managers, instructors;

Monitoring training costs so that they did not exceed my budgeted dollars & preparing reports for my immediate supervisor;

Preparing bi-weekly – more... time & attendance reports

Ordering all office supplies, maintaining logs of all expenditures so that they did not exceed my budgeted dollars & preparing reports fo my immediate supervisor;

Ordering & maintaining logs of all Cell phones, Blackberrys, etc. and preparing reports for my supervisor;

Maintaining and updating Personnel records of all Civilian & Military employees under our purview.

In my 40 years, I worked for many good & not so good managers. My last manager ,as far as manging went, fell in the not so good category. A very nicem sympthetic and personable indivdual, but a very poor manager.

Many of my co-workers were very intelligent, hard-working and knew their areas of expertise backwards and forwards. All-in-all a good office to work in. Although very busy and stressful.

Hardest part of my job was the Personnel area, due to the many comings and goings of Military personnel.

Best part of my job was the different challenges it offered every day. Never boring. – less
Live Love Laugh
Gold Star Recepient (Current Employee), Poway, CAApril 16, 2014
Gold Star Mother's pull together and help hold each other up.
Fast paced and highly rewarding
Leading Chief Petty Officer (Current Employee), San Diego, CAApril 16, 2014
Pros: great benefits, time to workout, and stability
Cons: very little time for breaks and extended periods away from family
A typical day at work for me consists of ensuring all pending tasks are on schedule and finding solutions to any work related or personnel problems that come up. I create taskers and follow up on tickler items.

My co-workers are extremely hard working and very dependable.

The hardest part of my job is dealing with all the additional outside issues – more... that come up such as standing duty days and additional military training requirements that must be taken care of during working hours.

The most enjoyable part of my job is seeing my Sailors succeed under my leadership. – less
Its the Navy
AV for U.S. Navy boot camp (Former Employee), Great Lakes, ILApril 16, 2014
Pay was great especially because we had no where to spend it. Benefits couldn't have been better, and peers were great. Even the upper ranks and officers were ok.
Great Place to work .. Diversity at it best
ENGINEERING SUPERVISOR (Former Employee), Norfolk, VirginiaApril 16, 2014
Loved my time in the NAVY ... Great people.. great job and got to see the world .. Nothing like it .. great experience
Fulfilling and Challenging work environment and career
Quality Assurance Division Manager (Current Employee), Virginia Beach, VAApril 15, 2014
Assist the Maintenance Material Control Officer in squadrons in carrying out production responsibilities. Provides liaison between Maintenance Material Control Officer and the Production Division Supervisors. Performs managerial functions in the areas of operational commitments, aircraft status, workload requirements and personnel assets. Coordinates, – more... prioritizes and monitors all production division maintenance efforts. Assigns material priorities and monitors overall material and logistical support, ground support equipment usage and cannibalization of assets. – less
Fast Paced environment with guaranteed job security
Satellite Communications Operator and Maintainer (Former Employee), USAApril 15, 2014
If you want to see the world on the government's dime, join the United States Navy. However, be prepared to put in long hours, complete job tasks that you may not necessarily want to do, and work under management that may or may not care about your opinion. All in all, the benefits can't be beat, the traveling is a huge plus, and it's next to impossible – more... to get fired. Just learn to follow the rules. – less
Work Load
Physical Therapy Technician (Current Employee), Napoli, CAMApril 15, 2014
I love my job and I love doing physical therapy. I get a chance to work with amazing patients and I want to make this as a career.
Exciting work environment
Airman E-3 (Former Employee), Everett, WAApril 15, 2014
Learned a lot and became a better person because of the military discipline.
Great work environment
Boatswain's Mate (Former Employee), Norfolk, VAApril 15, 2014
great job if you want to see the world and have chance to choose your career
Times are changing
Aviation Ordnanceman (Former Employee), Norfolk, VAApril 15, 2014
Pros: excellent benefits
Cons: no familiy consideration (work/ life balance)
The Navy was a great career in the beginning. It offers unlimited advancement potential and great benefits. Times are changing and the military is leaning towards forcing out strong and intelligent workers leaving many people who are just there to collect a pay check.
Go Navy, beat Army!
Petty Officer First Class (Former Employee), Coronado, CAApril 15, 2014
Long hours with decent pay. If you can get up in rank quickly, it's not bad. Beware poor mid level management.
great
Motor Vehicle Operator--Weapons Department (Former Employee), overseasApril 15, 2014
wonderful experience

was able to travel the world and gain invaluable knowledge
rewarding experience
First line supervisor (Former Employee), San Diego, CAApril 15, 2014
Pros: seeing the wrold
Cons: being away from family
serving in the U.S. Navy allowed me to interact with all kinds of people. it helped me to advance my communication skills. also being in charge of a vast amount of sailors allowed my management skills to flourish.
Constantly changing atmosphere
Maintainer/Supervisor (Current Employee), Norfolk, VAApril 15, 2014
Pros: medical coverage, job security, leave days
Cons: 13 month deployments, long periods away from family.
In the military you never quite know what to expect day by day. So it allowed me to build upon my time management skills while prioritizing daily production work loads. The Navy has taught me a great deal on basic leadership, team organization, as well as many other quality traits. The comradery I have experienced is like no other place else I have – more... seen. You form strong friendships and come to highly respect those appointed over the sailors. We learn and had to be able to depend on each other due to the fact that it truly is life or death situations we deal with. We have to strictly practice safe working procedures. Implement training and proper certification/licensing programs so that we can ensure that any maintenance is done properly and with the right knowledge of expertise. It ultimately has been a great honor to serve my country. I am proudly looking forward to a bright future with the technical experience I have gained. – less
On time, on target.
NAVIGATOR (Former Employee), Yokosuka, JapanApril 14, 2014
Pros: great benefits and gi bill
Cons: less than 5 hours of sleep per day and food is horrible.
Its easy, be at the right place, on time in the right uniform and do what you're told. Not more not less.
Highly demanding career
Electronics Technician (Supervisor) (Current Employee), Norfolk, VAApril 14, 2014
Pros: provides valuable skillsets through high stress situations
Cons: limited family/personal time, extremely high stress, constantly changing management
A typical day at work would include meetings discussing daily tasks or deadlines, then engaging in the supervision of required repairs or system maintenance. The day may also include counseling a subordinate on performance evaluations.
I've learned to be patient and understanding while dealing with people from many different lifestyles and cultures. – more... I have also learned to stay calm in highly stressful situations, which promotes clearer thinking and usually a safer environment.
Management has varied greatly. I have had the pleasure of working with and learning from outstanding managers, and at the same time learning how not to manage from the not so great managers. I have made it a goal to learn from those I work with/for to better myself.
I have had worked with some excellent co-workers who have become great friends. I couldnt ask for better co-workers.
The hardest part of the job would have to be the long deployments away from family. The unknown in scheduling had the potential to cause excessive stress.
The most enjoyable parts of this job are learning new things and while the deployments were hard, seeing countries that I would have otherwise never traveled to was a great reward. – less
Productive and proactive atmosphere.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Norfolk, VAApril 14, 2014
Pros: opportunities to advance.
Cons: a lot of time away from home during deployments
I have served 11 years in the Navy, and I have managed divisions and offices of 75 to 100 personnel throughout the course of my career in the military. My commitment to being a proactive member of the United States Navy has granted me the ability to learn all of the necessary requirements to manage, administrative skills, and provide great customer – more... service. Enlisting into the Navy has been by far the one of the greatest achievements thus far. – less
productive work place
Petty Officer Third Class (Former Employee), norfolfk, vaApril 14, 2014
During my time in the navy i was fortunate enough to learn time management, technical skills and most importantly leadership skills. My typical day included making sure all maintenance was complete correctly, verify all systems up and running.

1 2 3 4 5

About U.S. Navy

The US Navy maintains a variety of military equipment like ballistic missile submarines, aircraft carriers, surface warships, – Read more