U.S. Navy
10,355 reviews

U.S. Navy Employee Reviews

very diverse workplace that promotes, team work, health and physical fitness
Management/Leadership (Current Employee), Fort Dix, NJMay 20, 2015
Pros: affordable health care
Cons: relocating every 3 years
A typical day at work involves providing first class customer service to our internal and external customers. Providing training for the junior personnel and developing them for future leadership roles. The hardest part of my job is assigning every teammember in the right job where they are challenged but able to be successful and at the same fulfil the organization's mission. The most enjoyable part of my job is to see Sailors enjoy what they do and getting promoted.
responsibility and advancement
Chief Machinist Mate (E-7) (Former Employee), Norfolk, VAMay 20, 2015
Pros: meeting new people and travel
Cons: N/A
improved management skills and advanced training. Enjoyed meeting new people and places during my 23 years of enlisted service.
Productive and leadership building environment.
Logistics Specialist (Current Employee), Las Vegas, NVMay 20, 2015
Pros: Great job prospects and opportunities.
Cons: time away from family
My 10 years of naval experience has taught me to be a leader, to learn to organize my time better and how to make the most of any stressful, bad situation.
Great learning expirence
Seaman Recruit (Former Employee), Great Lakes, ILMay 20, 2015
you learn how to handle different situations in life and its a great place to learn different job skills that you normally need a degree for and you can get paid while you go to school
Serve your Country
Welder (Former Employee), Norfolk, VAMay 20, 2015
U.S. Navy is an amazing way to start your life. You have many opportunities to fulfill your dream job. Go SEEBEES!! I've learned how to weld and got many certificates.
Great learning experience and stepping stone
Instructor (Former Employee), Groton, CTMay 20, 2015
I was able to teach new sailors out of boot camp on how to become efficient mechanics.I learned how to adapt to teach to each individuals learning style. At any given time I was in charge of over 30 students at any given time.
Overall great experience
Quartermaster, Second Class (Former Employee), Norfolk Naval Station, VAMay 20, 2015
Pros: Good builder of character, excellent benefits
Cons: Unreliable schedule, poor communication within departments
My experience while on active duty was very positive. The work environment was always challenging, which I appreciated. This job also really helped me to work very hard for my personal goals.
An adventure
Quality Assurance Inspector (Former Employee), Patuxent River, MDMay 20, 2015
Pros: Good miltary life.
Cons: Long family seperation times.
For people who want to see the world and who have Honor, Courage and Commitment. If you cannot uphold Honor, Courage and Commitment, the U.S. Navy is not for you!
The sense of honor and pride one feels when serving this nation is immeasurable.
Hospital Corpsman (8506, 8404) (Former Employee), San Diego, CAMay 20, 2015
The United States Navy provides an excellent demonstration of teamwork, quality, pride and motivation! The best part of this experience was meeting people from all different walks of life and knowing that we all had something in common: the desire to serve our country!
You're either military or you're not.
Logistics Specialist (Current Employee), Oceana Naval Air station, VAMay 20, 2015
Pros: Guaranteed salary, potential pension, excellent benefits
Cons: Unbearable lifestyle, ranked highest stress job (enlisted), potential danger
What is there to say? If you can survive 20 years of it, then you'll receive a paycheck for the rest of your life. No guarantees there though. While you're in, the benefits package is great.
great experience/fun
Aircraft Maintenance Technician (Former Employee), Coronado, CAMay 20, 2015
best place I have ever worked in my life. great benefits and pay. travel. great eperience all around. only problem is that advancement for chief is difficult.
Very productive and hands-on
Aviation Machinist Mate (Former Employee), Lemoore Naval Air Station, CAMay 19, 2015
Pros: Benefits, possible relocation
Cons: extended deployments
- you can work 8-24 hours a day
- most co-workers are positive and motivating
- hardest part is frequent miscommunication and being eligible to go out on Deployments.
- Most enjoyable overall workplace is camaraderie
Torpedo Man TM1 (Former Employee), New Haven, CTMay 19, 2015
I enjoyed working with weapons and serving my country. The experience of being in the Navy changed my life and I was able to help impact the lives of others.
Outstanding
Recruiter / Canvasser (Former Employee), New Orleans, LAMay 19, 2015
Pros: free health care and dental care
Cons: being away from the family
Being in the military is a complete adventure. I have been doing it since I graduated from school. I have ended my 20 year tour and now its time to step back into the civilian sector. I have gained so much knowledge just from my specific job but mainly from the Sailors, Airmen, Marines and Soldiers that I have served with. The hardest part about the Navy is being away from the family, but that comes and go with your job. The most enjoyable was the service to my county.
Great company to work for.
Petty Officer Second Class (Former Employee), United StatesMay 19, 2015
Pros: Best training, Growth, and benefits
The day would start depending on whether or not you had duty the previous evening. If you had duty you would show up to work at 0600 to check the refrigerators in which the vaccines were kept, you would check the crash cart to ensure that all equipment is in proper working order and that any medications were not expired, you would then work at the clinic phone and schedule appointments or have patients that were acutely ill come in and see the provider that was on call. If you were not on duty the night before you will show up for work a 0645 for morning pass down, after that you will report to your designated workstation of the day and carry out the mission. Coworkers were the best, these people are lifelong friends and most can be considered family. I believe this is because you are with them while deployed and training 24 hours a day and the bound that is formed in battle and training is one of the strongest. The hardest part of the job is leaving your family and in some cases losing friends while deployed. The most enjoyable part is that the Navy prepares you for any and all challenges that life may throw at you. You have a sense of confidence that many do not in the civilian sector.
US Navy
Culinary Specialist (Former Employee), Point Mugu, CAMay 19, 2015
Pros: Good pay
Cons: Long deployments
I loved being in the military and being able to help our cause to end the Iraqi war and give freedom to its people. My job was to stand watch against any enemy that wants to attack our ship and also to cook for our ship members.
Its the military
Training (Current Employee), Seattle, waMay 19, 2015
Pros: medical, dental
Cons: long stretches away from family
You have to take the good with the bad. Deployments, people who cant lead a fish to water, but the benefits are great. The way things are run now have declined steadily over the years.
High Work tempo
Manager (Former Employee), Norfolk,VAMay 19, 2015
Pros: Paid leave, Medical and dental coverage for self and spouse.
Cons: Long hours and extended time away from family extremely high work tempo.
Typical day at work consisted of morning meetings,Scheduled Maintenance.Review days plan. Conduct or attend training.
Hardest part of job was being deployed away from family for long periods of time. The most enjoyable part of job is visiting ports in other countries..
Extremely driven program
Engineering Laboratory Technician (Former Employee), Charleston, SCMay 19, 2015
Pros: Respect, and Comradery
Cons: Oppressively long hours (80-100 hr/wk)
The United States Naval Nuclear Program is a top notch educational setting, with emphasis on learning fast and applying what you learned to the big picture. You learn to process information quickly and adapt to changes.
Reliable, friendly and a team player
Admissions Clerk (Current Employee), Jacksonville FLMay 19, 2015
I try to get to work earlier than scheduled so that I can get a proper turn over from the off going shift. I designate assignments to my co-workers, complete daily task required of me as a Lead Clerk. As for the rest of the day we concur each task as a team as they come about. I cannot name a hard part of my day as I enjoy what I do. The most enjoyable part of my day is meeting and socializing with the patients.

1 2 3 4 5

About U.S. Navy

Imagine working with the most awe-inspiring equipment and technology the world has ever seen. Making your living as a rescue swimmer – Read more

U.S. Navy Salaries