U.S. Navy
8,326 reviews

U.S. Navy Employer Reviews

U.S. Navy
Information Systems Technician (Former Employee), Honolulu, HIOctober 21, 2014
The work/life balance depended on where you were stationed and who you worked for. The benefits were great and couldn't compare to most civilian jobs. The opportunity for advancement is up to the person and how hard they work. The job and lifestyle is what you put into it.
Enjoyable 4 years of my life.
Communications Specialist (Former Employee), Portsmouth, VAOctober 21, 2014
Pros: travel
Cons: time away from home.
I enlisted right out of High school and went through Basic and Tech school.
Hard Life
Aviation Structural Mechanic (Former Employee), USOctober 21, 2014
Pros: free training
Cons: deployments
Sometimes your out to sea for month's at a time. It is what you make it in the military. Some people leave after 6 or 20 years with every tool they need to succeed in life.
good experience
Material Control Supervisor (Current Employee), Lemoore, CAOctober 21, 2014
Pros: good benefits
Cons: seperated with family
Long hour everyday.
I learned how to be a leader.
Co-workers all cool people.
Long hour and seperated with family hardest part of the job.
The most enjoyable part of the job is being a Logistics.
Military service
Yeoman (Former Employee), Gulfport , MSOctober 21, 2014
A typical say at work is lots of customer service, helping service members with varies things from record books information, pay, also typing awards, instructions and other correspondence dealing with military duties
Department of the Navy
Hospital Corpsman and Civilian Health Tech (Former Employee), FL, Italy, San Diego, Camp PendletonOctober 21, 2014
I will always be honored to have served my country. I served 8 years active duty as a hospital corpsman in the United States Navy and two years United States Navy Reserves.
Continued my career as a health tech and now working as a full time mom to my first child.
Loved it
Information Technician 3 (Former Employee), Virginia Beach, VAOctober 21, 2014
Some of the best years of my life, I made friends for life and feel everyone should have to serve!
it was a great learning experience.
Machinist Mate Third Class Petty Officer (Former Employee), San Diego, CAOctober 21, 2014
a typical day at work was talking to officers and important contractors every day, organizing future projects on systems that needed work to be done,reviewing verifying and planning; diagrams, sketches, verbal and written orders in order to keep the ships goal afloat. one of the hardest parts of my job was learning and understanding the different ways – more... people want work to be done and understanding safety measures. a part that i believed to be the most enjoyable was getting to know so many people. – less
Great place to advance and educate your professional skills
BM,LS, DC (Former Employee), WashingtonOctober 20, 2014
Pros: develops a great ability to work in all situations mindset
Cons: really tough specially overseas
Navy was one of the hardest jobs I ever had, but at the same time I learned many skills and learned to cope with numerous different jobs .
Learning experience
Hospital Corpsman (Former Employee), Fort Worth, TexasOctober 20, 2014
I enjoyed being apart of the Navy organization. I traveled the world in service of my country. I received the best training in the medical and dental fields and formed some amazing relationships. I learned the meaning of hard work and developed outstanding work ethic. Most of all, I had the pleasure of serving with the most diverse group of people, – more... which I've learned so much from and grew to be a better person. – less
Electrician's Mate Nuclear (Submarines)
ELECTRICIAN'S MATE (NUCLEAR) (Current Employee), Kings Bay Base, GAOctober 20, 2014
Pros: unparalled training, the smartest and most hard-working peers you will ever meet, the experience of being a salty submariner
Cons: the navy has a terrible business model, low compensation in comparison with respective civilian jobs, loss of autonomy due to being in the military, leaders which you cannot change or transfer from
I spent 6 years in the US Navy, ultimately serving as an Electrician's Mate Nuclear on a ballistic missile submarine.

EM's own essentially every major electrical piece of equipment on a submarine, from components directly related to power production (Turbine generators/motor-generators), to appliances (Hot-plates/ovens in the galley), and essentially – more... everything in between.

As such, the life of a submarine electrician is most probably one of the hardest jobs which requires both an extremely high level of knowledge and an immense amount of grunt work. I think a coal miners job is worse than mine, however, the coal miner isn't expected to have a high level of knowledge and work at an hourly rate which is much lower than his civilian counterpart.

Not only will you troubleshoot and repair equipment that is constantly breaking, but you will have scheduled periodic maintenance that is mind-numbing and long (Consider wiping out the inside of a motor-generator twice a month for 8+ hours straight).

On top of maintenance, you will stand watch as part of a team operating a nuclear reactor, either critical or shutdown. This is probably the most rewarding part of the job. I truly enjoyed being a nuclear operator.

During intense maintenance periods, such as refueling of the reactor core or shipyard availabilities, it will NOT be uncommon for you to work 14+ hour days, without weekends off, for the same pay you always receive, because you are salaried.

Lastly, on a submarine, you will stand a 24 hour duty day, in which you cannot leave the close proximity of the boat, usually every 3 days, but sometimes you will be Port and Starboard, meaning you will have duty every other day.

In conclusion, the only, let me reiterate, only reason that a person should be a US Navy Submarine Electrician is so that they know once they survive the paces of their tour, that no job that they will ever have again will be as bad. The civilian opportunities that the naval nuclear community affords a person are essentially endless, but I would recommend being a Nuclear Electronic's Technician or Machinist Mate before an EMN. – less
Great place to work 15 to 20 years ago
Personnel Specialist/HR Specialist (Former Employee), World-Wide, WorldOctober 19, 2014
Pros: guided missile destroyers
Cons: frequent deployments on above referenced ddgs
World's greatest Navy, way too many politicians. One of the greatest experiences of my life.
I loved serving my country
Aviation Ordnance (Former Employee), San Diego, CAOctober 19, 2014
Greatest joy in my life was working for my country, a great sense of pride in this job
A learning experience
Logistic Specialist (Former Employee), USS Peleliu LHA5October 19, 2014
I thought four years in retail prepared me for it, but the Navy was a whole different beast. I learned much over my six years, as the Navy is always willing to teach you what you need to know.
Great place to serve
Helicopter Crew Chief (Former Employee), Helicopter Crew ChiefOctober 19, 2014
Pros: service
Six year contract with the US Navy entailed 2 years of training and 4 years of deployable service.

Two combat deployments to the persian gulf
Multitasking job
Petty Officer US Navy (Former Employee), Norfolk, VA , San Diego ,CAOctober 19, 2014
Pros: job security
Cons: no breaks, deployed, away from home
Providing the organized collection of information. Navigation of naval ship. Categorizing charts and maps worldwide. Operating radars, computers, cell phone tower and other communication equipment.
Educational Work Experience
Helicopter Naval Aircrewman (E-5) (Current Employee), Norfolk, VAOctober 19, 2014
I've learned lots of life lessons in the navy that will help me in my personal life as well as my working career. Have had the opportunity to meet some of the most amazing people in the world, all while learning skills to help me succeed.
The Navy Summary
Cryptological Technician (Former Employee), San Diego, CAOctober 19, 2014
Pros: gi bill, the good times
Cons: the bad times
The US Navy gave me unforgettable experiences and training.
Lots of travel to foreign counties
Culinary Specialist (Former Employee), Pearl Harbor, HIOctober 19, 2014
Pros: i was able to ride and work onboard a nuclear submarine
Cons: long sea deployments
There is no such thing as a typical day at work in the US Navy. However underway on a nuclear submarine did have a set schedule for breakfast, lunch and dinner. That is what my job schedule revolved around. I learned about military operations and lifestyle. The management was hit or miss. I had a few really amazingly good Chiefs and Officers (leaders) – more... and as well as a few not so good Chiefs and Officers. My co-workers were great guys. Everyone was close because we had to all depend on each other to keep the submarine operating smoothly. The hardest part about the job was the long sea deployments. It is hard to raise a family when you are on a six month sea deployment on the opposite side of the world. The most enjoyable part of the job was the travel. I have been all over the world and touch every continent except Africa and Antarctica. – less
Overall blessing to be a part of!
MACS/E-8, Senior Chief Petty Officer (Former Employee), Norfolk, VAOctober 19, 2014
Pros: serving the country, medical, dental, friendships, free education, and travel.
Cons: being away from family for extended periods
- Always seemed to learn something different each day.

- Refined the ability to work with diverse group of personnel

- Management, good management consists of not only being a good leader but a follower at times as well. There's no substitute for "knowing your people"!

- Got along with all well.

- Being away from family for extended period and going – more... into combat situations, (Iraq).

- Knowing you served your country proudly, visiting many places around the world and the relationships and potential networks you have created along the way. – less

1 2 3 4 5

About U.S. Navy

The US Navy maintains a variety of military equipment like ballistic missile submarines, aircraft carriers, surface warships, – Read more