U.S. Navy Employee Reviews

Mm2
Petty Officer Second Class (E-5) (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAOctober 20, 2017
As long as your willing to learn and willing to actually put in a good days work then you will be able to advance and have a long and successful career.
Pros
way a life and friends
Cons
not everyone is willing to work
Retail Manager (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAOctober 20, 2017
The United States Navy is a great opportunity for adventure and career opportunity. I would recommend anyone to the Navy. Its a great opportunity for young men and women to start a career.
benefits
Cons
Not home a lot.
Petty officer
Petty Officer 3rd Class Mess Management Specialist (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAOctober 20, 2017
A typical day in the Navy is different for different people, Depending on shore duty or sea duty makes a difference. The Navy experience was good because you get a chance to represent your country all over the world.
Pros
Serve your country
Cons
no cons
Great branch to join..
Information Assurance Manager (Former Employee) –  New Orleans, LAOctober 20, 2017
Depending on where you are stationed..you will work 23 hour days, seven days a week.... or three or four hour days three or four days a week. Plenty of time off, free travel, and paid college and housing!
Pros
Travel! Paid vacation, time off
Cons
deployments
Interesting
Information Systems Technician (IT) (Current Employee) –  Portland, OROctober 20, 2017
I can't say for everything because I am in the reserve portion of the Navy, but the reserves it not that bad. If you know how to play things right and get he right job in the reserves you could be something called Active Duty Reserve which is you just take deployment after deployment. Then after you do enough just take some months off (longer than you would get on leave) and just enjoy life. I typed this up mainly because this is required for me to advance on this process.
Fun and exciting
Aviation Structural Mechanic (Honorable Discharge) (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAOctober 20, 2017
On the positive side of being in the military is the amount of people you get to meet. One thing I also liked was learning how to assess every job and going in with a game plan and learning to set goals and standards.
Pros
Healthcare
Cons
Long hours at time and
Very diverse.
Petty Officer Second Class (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAOctober 20, 2017
My time in the service consisted of a multitude of different challenges and obstacles. From chasing pirates in the Gulf of Guine to sipping wine on the shores of France.
Police Cadet Only
Police Officer (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAOctober 20, 2017
While in the police academy, had the opportunity to meet different people and get first hand knowledge and training as to what law enforcement was like.
Pros
Great hours
Cons
Inadequate pay
productive
Gunners Mate (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VAOctober 20, 2017
its an good place to start right after college, you will learn a lot. you will be able to see the world. its an guaranteed check on the 1st and 15th and you benefit a lot from being in the military.
benefits
Cons
As the saying goes "Join the NAVY And see the world"
Aviation Electronics Technician (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLOctober 20, 2017
Excellent training, good pay, and a great place to instill discipline in young adults. Excellent place to learn about different cultures around the world.
Pros
Excellent benefits
Cons
If your work was caught up you were required to stay at your job until your shift was over
Great Opportunities
Air Traffic Controller (Former Employee) –  New Orleans, LAOctober 20, 2017
The military in my opinion is the best way to start a career if you don't know what you want to do. Over the 4 years I was in I learned a lot about myself.
Excellent job security
Senior Chief Petty Officer (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAOctober 19, 2017
Paid Vacation
Medical
Dental
College Money
Serving my country for over 26 years and always had upper management looking out for the best interest of their junior Sailors.
Rewarding but stressful experience
Naval Aviator (Pilot) / Division Officer (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAOctober 19, 2017
The typical day was anywhere between 6 hours to 12+ hours (especially on deployment) and required a great deal of time spent learning about your specific job/role/rank and was as the overarching structure of the Navy and it's bureaucracy.
Pros
Multiple benefits such as medical, dental and housing allowances
Cons
Long stressful work weeks and danger to life on the job
Loved this job best of all my jobs
US Navy (Former Employee) –  Untied States of America.October 19, 2017
you see the world, make new friends, and family. living the life as an Adventurer. I truly wish I had never got out. Job of a life time. great people.
Pros
love the ocean
Cons
away from friends and family months at a time.
decent place to work
Aviation Warfare Specialist (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VAOctober 19, 2017
Its a great place if you need a way out of your current situation, it pays decent and gives you a place to sleep at night, and there is 3 meals a day.
High Morale
Commander Sealift Command Atlantic (Former Employee) –  Bayonne, NJOctober 19, 2017
Great working condition and was always recognizing you for excellent performance. Always had an answer to any questions I have ask. Great Officers and Enlisted members.
Pros
Port Visits; Food; Snacks; Prices on food, merchandise always cheap
Cons
Long hours while at sea.
Disorganized
Electrician (Former Employee) –  Bremerton, WAOctober 19, 2017
A typical day at work is a muster in the morning where they usually put out the days tasks. Throughout the day new tasks will pop up with no warning which would be fine but, everything is considered high priority and if your not working on some 0-1's blown out light bulb instead of the water desalination plant that provides clean water for the whole ship you get your !@# chewed.
Pros
If you don't enjoy your family, you wont have to see them
Cons
If you enjoy your family, good luck getting to see them
What an experience
Information Technician Specialist (Former Employee) –  Groton, CTOctober 19, 2017
Had to be at work but 7 am. We would have our divisional meetings and discuss what needed to be done for the day on top of the daily routine. I would work about 80 hours a week when not out to sea but would be working 24/7 minus the 6 hours of sleep you could get if you were lucky. The people I worked with was fun but the double standards were terrible.
fun place
Construction Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Ventura, CAOctober 19, 2017
This was the best place i ever work. It was very organized and offer advancement. The managers didn't bother you as long as you got the work done. I would recommend them to anyone.
Hurry up and wait
Ship Serviceman (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAOctober 19, 2017
It has its pros and cons. Its hard to balance a family and be active duty. Has decent pay once you start ranking up. Deployments are very stressful, but if you get liberty sometimes traveling to other countries is fun.
Pros
decent pay, travel, insurance
Cons
barely any family time, gone long periods of time, stressful

Ask a question about working or interviewing at U.S. Navy. Our community is ready to answer.

4.4