U.S. Navy Employee Reviews

Found 14,361 reviews matching the search
Daily Responsibilities
Administrative Assistant/Lead (Current Employee) –  Oak Harbor, WADecember 31, 2015
I enjoyed leading Sailors and Marines on a daily basis, teaching life skills such as job hunting, resume writing as well as tips for evaluations and awards. Management of major command programs has challenging at times yet very rewarding. I enjoy helping others excel at their life and job goals. Leading civilians in an office environment is rewarding as well. I enjoy teaching and facilitating and making sure all the details are completed appropriately.
Pros
Advancement, Job Security, and Benefits
Cons
Pay is not necessarily commesurate with civilian sector
Great experience, gained confidence, learned important life skills, emergency medical skill, and patient skills.
Hospital Corpsman (Former Employee) –  Camp Pendleton, CAFebruary 28, 2016
From 2011-2014, I served with 1st Light Armored Reconnaissance (LAR) Battalion, as a combat medic. My duties where to maintain over a 100 marines deployable status while in garrison, by keeping their immunizations, lab work, general health and medical records up to date. While participating in field exercises I ran all of the drills with my Marines and had to be ready for any medical emergencies. 2011-2012, I deployed to Afghanistan, where I participated in over 120 combat patrols, and treated 33 casualties. 2014-2015, I transferred to Naval Hospital Camp Pendleton, where I was a general duty Corpsman for L&D, SCN, and MIU. My main job was baby care, but I also drew blood on moms and babies, started IVs, gave immunizations, and triaged patients. I worked very well with all of my co-workers. The hardest part was being separated from my family while deployed or participating in field exercises. In addition management changed very often, so it was hard to get stuff done because their were always new people telling you new ways to do things, not always the most productive environment.
Pros
Great health benefits, and job security
Cons
Many hours spent away from family, and management was average.
demanding and rewarding
Administrative Manager (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAMarch 30, 2016
Because of the Navy I am able to work well under pressure and in a diverse environment realizing and being able to treat everyone as an individual. A typical day at work would consist of many challenges ranging from completing tasks due to lack of manpower to late hours which ultimately lead to completing daily tasks successfully. Being in the military there is a constant change of personnel in the workplace which mean not only constant training, but constant learning to become successful no matter if the tasks are temporary or permanent. Managing teams of personnel ranging from 10 to 100 personnel can become challenging but the job is always done because at the end of the day no matter the job we are a team and where one person lacks the other picks up which is due to great communication and proper personnel management. The hardest part of the job for me is delegation because i am a very hands on type of person who likes to ensure the job is done correctly the first time, but I have learned to trust my people and prove themselves.
Pros
Paid vacation, medical and dental benefits, consistent pay
Cons
accountability
Submarine Warfare Officer
Submarine Warfare Officer (Current Employee) –  VariousMarch 26, 2016
My time serving onboard a submarine has been very rewarding.

The training and culture of the Naval Nuclear Propulsion Program are not for everyone. I think it's a great program and grew tremendously in it.

However, the hours and personal investment required to succeed are great. Itt is difficult to plan against your schedule, and you will have expended periods of time spent away from your family.
Pros
Great Training and Development, Great People
Cons
Long Hours, Extended Time Away from Home
Great experiences, good people, stressful at times.
MH-60S Aircrewman/Rescue Swimmer (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAFebruary 3, 2016
As a rescue swimmer, my time in the Navy gave me some of the most rewarding experiences that I will certainly miss, and while the job was very stressful and physically demanding at times, the experiences and people I worked with have had a lifelong impact.

It's not without its downsides however. Command politics, repetitive training, sleep deprivation, health hazards, and potential life-threatening situations all contribute to making this a very high-stress organization, and will not fit with those who are unable to accept those risks.
Pros
Good Training, Great Experiences, Visiting Foriegn Countries, Active-Duty and Verterans Benefits
Cons
Stressful, Repetitive, Dangerous, Physically Demanding
Rewarding work if you can keep it!
Command Career Counselor (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLFebruary 22, 2016
The military of today is not like in any time past. The overall workforce is better educated and must be the most reflexive to world events than it ever has.

In keeping with that basic tenant, the United States military has become a competitive and dynamic work environment where one has to prove themselves willing to take the hard jobs in return for a pay and compensation package that is top tier. It is true that many military members that want to stay are no longer allowed due to performance factors and unwillingness to be flexible with what the military needs of its workforce.

Overall I am proud to be retiring from the US Navy and recommend military service to any young man or woman out there who is seeking to find their place in our country. If you go in with the mindset of simply being the best you can be, you will be.
Pros
Pay and compensation, medical and dental benefits, housing allowances.
Cons
Long deployments away from families, extended and hard working hours, adapting to strict military standards 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
Overall review
Maintenance Group Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAMarch 19, 2016
A typical day in the U.S. Navy could be very challenging depending on the day. What I mean is every day was different. I gained a lot of knowledge in my field and what the mission was for the command. The experience ultimately led to personal and professional growth for me. Serving in the Navy allowed me to lead and manage hundreds of personnel with various back grounds and from around the world. My co-workers were great, there was times where of course you didn't always agree with each other but we knew that we had to come up with a solution to ensure the job was being met. I would say the hardest part of my job was really not job related it was deploying and being away from my family. But if I had to say anything that was hard maybe it was the grueling under way's and long hours of work but there was never anything I couldn't overcome. As for the most enjoyable part of my job I would say grooming my junior subordinates and watching them excel and being a part of their success and seeing them advance to the next higher pay grade. There is no better feeling then helping others achieve in life.
Pros
Health care, Job security
Cons
Deployments, food, living conditions on the ship.
Patriotic and Fullfilling
Emergency Program Manager (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAFebruary 5, 2016
Going to work every day was a fulfilled, meaningful, and a team building experience every time! A typical work day is based around pride and professionalism, ensuring the safety and preparedness of a ship's crew for emergencies or disasters involved with military deployment. Being a part of a team filled with camaraderie every day I go to work is immeasurable. Even though the difficulty is always leaving our homeland for action and adventure over seas, it is worth the reminder of how great and free our country is. As a shipboard firefighting and flooding damage control professional, normal work included ensuring optimal operation of fire suppression systems; organizing, training, and evaluating emergency teams, and responding to crisis such as flooding, fire, and chemical, biological, and radiological events. Going to work is a new job every day!
Pros
Morale and Welfare, Teamwork, Patriotism, Job Security, Benefits
Cons
Leaving family often for extended periods of time, War/Battle
NAVY was a great learning experence
Electrician, Third Class Petty Officer (Former Employee) –  FloridaOctober 21, 2015
A normal day would begin with trouble calls and a list of maintenance items to perform on some of the electrical equipment on the ship. The navy taught me how to wire up equipment and route cables including how to troubleshoot and read schematics. The management was great, was always taking care of all of the workers and also would make sure we knew what we were doing. The co-workers were always hard working, and nice people, whenever trouble calls would come up we would go to the calls in groups. The hardest part of my last job was the days when there were multiple items broken so we had to manage the large inflow of trouble calls needing to be repaired in a timely manner. The most enjoyable part about my last job is when we would fix equipment and knew that the repair would have a positive/important impact.
Pros
great benefits, job security, traveled the world, learn a trade
Cons
lacked work life balance, dangerous environment, far from family
Productive employment with great benefits.
Hull Maintenance Technician (Former Employee) –  GuamMarch 24, 2016
Great place to learn and grow as an individual while learning components of working as a team. Good benefits and job security.
Benefits
Cons
Productive work environment Learn to manage personnel
Team Leader - Ordnance Evolutions (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAFebruary 5, 2016
I've grown within the US Navy. I've climbed the ranks from E-1 to E-5. Had to learn how to manage personnel effectively. I've had to make quick decisions in short time frames. I've guided the careers of over 160 sailors as a Career Counselor. The hardest part of my job was going on deployments. Although I am deeply proud of my service, I'm ready to tackle the civilian world head on! The most enjoyable part of my job was helping junior sailors achieve their personal and professional goals.
Pros
Health Care, Traveling
Cons
Long hours, deployments
Cant say anything bad.
Supply Technician (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAMarch 15, 2016
You know what you signed up for (for the most part). Can't say much other than choose your rate(job), you choose your fate. Cant really control who your "management" is, as with any job. The benefits were great for the individual and their families. Sometimes their can be crazy working hours, but it's the military and not a 9-5.
Pros
Heathcare, life insurance, potential to advance
Cons
working hours, time spent away from family in general
Very rewarding work and help builds character
U.S. Navy (Former Employee) –  Millington, TNJanuary 30, 2016
In a typical days work, it felt very rewarding to help the community in need as well as serving your country. The hardest part of the job was getting there in the morning.It was constantly a learning experience everyday because everyday was a new challenge, new obstacle. The men and women I served with were hands down the finest human beings ever to work with.The most enjoyable part of the job was getting to travel to many different cities and countries.
Pros
Travel, good food, great management
Cons
Long hours, standing long guard duty on your feet all day.
Very opertunistic organization
Mechanical Engineer (Current Employee) –  Great Lakes, ILMarch 28, 2016
Enjoyed every minute of my career, endless opportunities for personal and professional growth. One of the most diverse organization in the world. Equal and fair treatment with great benefits for members and their families.
Benefits
Cons
Time away from family
Great job, just not for me
Firecontrolman (Former Employee) –  FPO, AEFebruary 5, 2016
A work day as a Firecontrolman is pretty easy when pulled into port. You come in at 0630, clean spaces, do some maintenance, and then go home at 1430 or 1500.

Management is horrible in most cases. A lot of micro management when none is needed. Also, even when you give a good idea to improve something, it gets brushed aside as if it wasn't worth it.

The co-workers are great. I have made some life time friends.

The hardest part of the day was having to do busy work. Other than that its fun for the rest of the day
Pros
Great benefits and pay
Great Career
Gas Turbine Systems Mechanic (GSM) (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CADecember 28, 2015
What makes the Navy special is its job-driven subculture. Roles you serve in the Navy translate well to either long-term US Navy careers or into the private sector. The technical expertise — plus the practical application of it on a daily basis — can give you an edge in the job market.

The training and continuing education opportunities are outstanding as well. Paid training in the Navy and the Reserve can count as college credit or toward credentialing and licensing. Not to mention the GI Bill, which helps qualifying veterans get their degrees.

The Navy is on the ready at all times, all over the world. So when you learn something in the classroom, you are expected to be able to put that knowledge to practical use quickly. You drill and stay ready at all times, but when the moment comes, world-class Navy training makes you prepared for the mission. It's the very definition of hands-on training.
US Navy is a phenomenal way to find a career.
Electronics Technician, Radioman (Former Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VAJanuary 4, 2016
Fantastic career path to choose even if you only do it for a few years the work is hard but it is immeasurably rewarding at the end of the tour. You learn so much but only as much as you're willing to put yourself in. You can advance quickly and create a life you can very much enjoy. The flip side of the coin is it keeps you away from home and family often and work long hours and deployments can be stressful but the sea stories you'll gain are unforgettable.
Pros
Great career path, and great way to travel and enjoy the world. The time off is pretty great as well.
Cons
Keeps you away from stateside and family for long periods but
Challenging workplace
Information Technology Specialist (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAFebruary 29, 2016
Worked from 12 to 36 hours from time to time with a 12 hour workday as a mean. Acquired many skills in the IT field to include administration of networks, servers and systems. Had the opportunity to lead and work along people from different ethnic and social backgrounds that allowed me to sharpen my leadership skills.
Pros
Job security and health benefits
Cons
time away from family
Most Rewarding Experience i have ever had, not without sacrifice
Navy Recruiting Station Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Burlington, WAApril 5, 2016
I have had many jobs in my life, none of which, was Ever like the military. Go from working on 50 million dollar aircraft's to sitting down as recruiter for Navy, Talking to young men and woman about serving in the armed forces, and then at the end of the day taking off your uniform and boots to spend time with your incredible family. The Values of hard work, discipline, and sacrifice have always proven to be worth the cost. It has made me into the man i am today, always having unparalleled commitment to every task i receive, and never giving up on the objective that you've set out to complete.
Pros
Exceptional Benefits, Excellent training, Pride in Serving, The Principles one learns.
Cons
Having a family with very young children can be difficult.
Aviation Supply Clerk
Aviation Supply Clerk (Former Employee) –  Various locationsDecember 21, 2015
Logistics Specialist and Military Veteran with 8 years of experience managing all aspects of the logistics field, overseeing a staff of up to 15 employees and maintaining inventory of government equipment and supplies valued in excess of $1M. Expertise in the functionality of the Naval Aviation Logistics Command Management Information System, the Space and Naval Warfare System and the Naval Tactical Command Support System. Led an effective team of 15 storekeepers in the processing of 950 issues, induction of 513 assets into the local repair cycle and inventory of 13 Depot level repairable storerooms with 100% accuracy. Broad based knowledge and practical application of researching gains and losses, and providing recommendations to prevent future discrepancies. Career is supported as a 2 time recipient of the Navy Marine Corps Achievement Medal.
Pros
Working with different people
Cons
Working with different people

4.4