U.S. Navy Employee Reviews

Found 11,823 reviews matching the search
I loved working for the Navy as a civilian employee.
Secretary (Former Employee) –  Newport, RIFebruary 1, 2016
I enjoyed meeting personnel as they rotated in from different areas of the United States and from overseas. I tried to be a friend to all to help make their transition into a new area easier. I answered questions and made recommendations to whomever asked for assistance.
Pros
Meeting a lot of wonderful people and assisting to do a great job.
Cons
Had to say "Good Bye" to a lot of wonderful people as they rotated on to their next duty stations.
Awesome workplace
Supervisor, US Navy (Former Employee) –  Pearl City, HIFebruary 1, 2016
A great place to learn your rate and job field, awesome leadership, and great morale. Good interaction with civilian workers and exciting operations out to sea.
its the navy, you get what you expect
Equipment Operator (Current Employee) –  Gulfport, MSFebruary 1, 2016
ok pay if you are married horrible management. Your going to sit around most of the day doing nothing but then someone is going to yell at you telling to to get to work but have nothing for you to do
Pros
Houing allowance
Productive workplace
Aviation Flight Deck Director (Former Employee) –  Bremerton, WAFebruary 1, 2016
I enjoyed being put in fast pace situations just to get the mission complete. I also enjoyed being able to communicate with people from around the world.
It's The Navy
Sailor (Former Employee) –  Fort George G Meade, MDFebruary 1, 2016
I love The Navy and I loved serving my country for however brief a time it was. Benefits are great. It is like having a second family.
Worked as an electrician on helicopters
Aviation Electrician (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLFebruary 1, 2016
Hours are terrible. As well as leadership. Everyone seems to pull together, though. Just to get the job done so we can all go home. Not a bad job, just high stress and not enough pay for what we go through.
Pros
benifits, guarenteed paycheck
Cons
high stress, poor leadership.
Overall a very wonderful experiance
Departmental Leading Chief Petty Officer (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAJanuary 31, 2016
During my 22 Years of active duty the Navy is what you make it. I was able to use a lot of my benefits to achieve more than your average person.
Great Place to learn and excel.
Quality Assurance Inspector (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLJanuary 30, 2016
I have enjoyed my time in the military, but looking for other options. Military life is difficult specially being away from your family.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
long deployments
US Navy Chief
Storekeeper and 27' & 34' Patrol Boat Coxswain U/I (Current Employee) –  Charleston, SCJanuary 30, 2016
There is never a typical day. That's not a bad thing as far as I'm concerned. it keeps us all on our toes. I love what I do in the Navy and wouldn't change it for anything.
Pros
When Activated: free medical, dental, lodging..etc
Cons
long hours and many times short deadlines. But it's all worth it.
Love working with wounded, ill and injured service members
Certified Therapeutic Recreation Specialist (Current Employee) –  Naval Medical Center San Diego, CAJanuary 30, 2016
Poor leadership and management in Department I am assigned, I love working in a medical setting and helping hundreds of wounded, ill and injured service members and their family's using the medium of therapeutic recreation treatment.
Pros
Felt I made a difference in the lives of my patients and their families, good benefits
Cons
Department Head did not support good patient care
Good work environment with many benefits.
Information Systems Technician (Former Employee) –  Pensacola, FLJanuary 30, 2016
Working with the Navy was an exemplary opportunity with many educational opportunities. I was mentored in repairing and troubleshooting computer systems and network components as well as in leadership and basic organization.
Greatplace to work.
Assistant Manager for Repair Deparment (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VAJanuary 30, 2016
It's all what up make of it. Learn your job,do your job,be on time. Go see the world learn skills that you can use once you decide to leave.
Pros
Rtirement. Medical. Seapay. Great group of people.
Cons
Deployments being away from your family. Work ups. Training Cycles
Enjoyed my time
Master Training Specialist (Former Employee) –  Great Lakes, ILJanuary 30, 2016
Spent 10 years and 3 months in the US navy. Sadly that all came to an end due to being in an over manned rating. I fell victim to the ERB (Enlisted Retention Board.) I have no regrets and would have done it all over again. This wasn't just a job but was a way of life. Memories that will be with me forever
A Challenge For Successful Time Management
Fire Watch Work Lead (Current Employee) –  Bremerton, WAJanuary 30, 2016
Working on a military base, you'll often hear the phrase "Hurry up and wait.", meaning, as an employee, you are expected to show up for work on time but there may be days that you do not go on your job site for hours of not at all on any given day.

To some this can be seen as government waste, however it is important to realize that, as an employee, you are expected to be 'ready to work' at all times.

Faced with down time at work I have observed those who use that time productively by progressively educated themselves on their job duties or with outside personal interests. On the flip, there were those who wasted the time by 'resting' and idly chit-chatting.

My personal practice and opinion; If I am given the freedom to sit around and be paid for it, then I am going to use that time to better manage my skills, knowledge, and aptitude as it pertains to my work-related and personal interest abilities.
Pros
Structured Days, Diverse Work Staff, Compensation, Experience
Cons
Inconsistent Communication and Work Loads
Great place to be.
Electronics Technician (Current Employee) –  West Palm Beach, FLJanuary 30, 2016
Joining the Navy is one of the best choices I have made. It has some outstanding people who really take care of others. Numerous opportunities abound for those looking to join the military.
supervised maintanece
ELECTRONIC TECHNICIAN (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAJanuary 30, 2016
reviewed all maintainace cards scheduled to be maintained that week issued them out to people acccording to skill set
did all 2m repair myself
Great Place to work
Telecommunications Center Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAJanuary 30, 2016
Experienced tons of training and leadership experience. Very demanding work tempo. Times of very long work hours during watch rotation.
Very rewarding work and help builds character
U.S. Navy (Former Employee) –  Millington, TNJanuary 30, 2016
In a typical days work, it felt very rewarding to help the community in need as well as serving your country. The hardest part of the job was getting there in the morning.It was constantly a learning experience everyday because everyday was a new challenge, new obstacle. The men and women I served with were hands down the finest human beings ever to work with.The most enjoyable part of the job was getting to travel to many different cities and countries.
Pros
Travel, good food, great management
Cons
Long hours, standing long guard duty on your feet all day.
Intense workplace with good people.
SYSTEM ADMIN (Former Employee) –  Norfolk VirginiaJanuary 29, 2016
I loved the navy and i still do! With its intense and time consuming work that it provided i gained valuable training, hands on knowledge and forged new friendships while apart of the best Navy the world has ever seen.
Pros
healthcare, travel, good company
Cons
short breaks, terrible food, bad living arrangements, time away from family
Awesome
Aviation Boatswains Mate-Handling (TK) (Former Employee) –  Coronado, CAJanuary 29, 2016
Great environment to work and was an honor to have served in the U.S Navy. Hardest part of the job was living family while deployed

4.5