U.S. Navy Employee Reviews

Found 15,802 reviews matching the search
US Navy Submarine Force
RECRUIT DIVISION COMMANDER (Former Employee) –  Great Lakes, ILFebruary 8, 2017
Submarine service is a stealthy and secretive business by nature and necessity. The course of executing missions routinely involves venturing unseen into the unknown. Conducting classified work that can’t be discussed outside the world in which one operates. And taking on responsibilities that most can’t fathom.

If you want to make it here, you need to have the smarts to do highly technical work. You need to be versatile enough to do your job and at the same time be prepared to do things like fight fires and control flooding. And you need to have an unwavering team mentality.
good
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAFebruary 9, 2017
Manages multiple projects of great complexity. Manages cross-department and cross-division projects. I Can operate as the lead Matrix PM and has the ability to run an entire Program. Defines problems/needs and solutions involving substantial latitude in course of action.
-Conducts business analysis. Develops, updates and presents business cases.
Creates project presentations and presents to manager. Ensures projects are completed according to time
and budget schedules, and that objectives conform to line of business.
Pros
everything
Grateful to have served
INFORMATION SYSTEMS TECHNICIAN (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAFebruary 15, 2017
The Navy is an excellent place to work. The people that you work along side, as well as the places you go will leave memories with you for the rest of your life.The experience gained in the Navy can be used anywhere in the world. The Navy defines leadership in all individuals. Each and every person in the military has the potential to become better than they were the day before. The hardest thing to handle with the job, however is the time spent away from home. It is expected for a sailor to spend half of their naval career out at sea; but on the opposite side of the same coin, the best part about the job is the ability to travel and see sights that not very many people get to see.
Pros
Travel
Cons
People
Aviation Ordnanceman (Former Employee) –  Oceana Naval Air station, VAFebruary 13, 2017
The U.S. Navy was a wonderful experience. I got to work on and learn about military aircraft. My day was aircraft readiness day in and day out. I would come in attend the morning meetings and get my assignments for the day. I would then complete my assignments and then wait for my work to be inspected for safety and readiness. The culture was like minded by everyone safety first. I learned the true meaning of team work.
Pros
Got to travel all over the world
Cons
sleeping in small quarters
My time in the Navy.
Sonar operator (Former Employee) –  Naval Base, VAFebruary 16, 2017
My time in the Navy was a great and enjoyable experience. I learned many things and got to travel a lot. A normal workday was between 8-12hrs a day. The culture in the submarine community was awesome still to this day getting my dolphins was one of the most awarding and hardest things I've ever had to do. I learned many things like the difference between a good leader and a great leader and how to get the most out of your personal.
Pros
Good pay and advancement
Cons
working long hours and always out at sea
proud to serve my country and be submerged in the military aviation field
Aviation Machinist Mate (Former Employee) –  China Lake, CAFebruary 20, 2017
once again another classified job involving secret clearance and classified information. Great coworkers and a lot of diversity and ethnic backgrounds to appreciate. Management was always changing but always mission minded and professional. Hardest part of the job was long extensive work days. Most enjoyable part of this job was performing flight line maintenance and operations involving F/A 18's!!!
Pros
benefits, housing, travel, type of work
Cons
long extensive hours
Superb travel, excellent benefits both short and long term, excellent learning environment
U S Navy Safety Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAFebruary 21, 2017
20 years of military service with many deployments, and experiences. I have seen many different countries and was able to experience the local culture while visiting these countries. Highly detailed training and attention to detail which provide me with the focus on quality not quantity.
Pros
As mentioned above
Cons
Long hours, long deployments and time away from home
20 years of service in the United States and around the world
Mayport Medical Clinic Department Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Mayport, FLFebruary 21, 2017
With 20 years of naval service, I was able to see parts of the world while having positive interactions with different cultures and people. This enhanced my foundation in diversity, in not judging other people and cultures just because it was different from mine. Providing health care and services, providing relief operations to Kurdish refugees was the highlight of my career.
Pros
Health benefits, steady income, travel, advancement
Cons
Management, moving your family every 3-4 years
Extremely demanding, high tempo job
Nuclear Operations Instructor (Current Employee) –  Charleston, SCFebruary 21, 2017
The Naval Nuclear Power Program is a very intellectually demanding job that is very fast paced and demanding. It requires lots of motivation and drive to succeed and can be very rewarding if you enjoy problem solving and and working in a team environment with people from all over the country. I have made lifelong friends and am very grateful for the opportunities that it has afforded me.
Pros
Free health care
Cons
Very demanding
Amazing experience
Machinist Mate (Former Employee) –  Everett, WAFebruary 22, 2017
Deployments, oceans and education? Why not! This was one of the best times of my life. All of the 3 star ratings are purely objective. I had great chiefs and terrible ones, I had some trouble seeing family at times (this was the terrible chief), you sign a contract so job security is a bonus but advancing was near impossible due to my rate (Machinist Mate) and I was unable to change it. If I could do it again, I would. Just great.
Pros
The overall experience.
Cons
The kids straight out of high school.
Lots of experience gained
Logistics Specialist, Second Class Petty Officer (Former Employee) –  Lemoore Naval Air Station, CAFebruary 24, 2017
Being in the navy was the most productive and enlightening experience I ever had. I learned how to work hard and study harder. My time there shaped me for the student that I am now and the nurse that I will be in the near future. I was a Logistics Specialist and I worked mostly in a "store" or an office, but sometimes I was out driving a forklift, receiving material and supplies. All in all, it was an experience I would not have been able to have anywhere else.
Most rewarding time in my life.
Work Center Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Stationed for most time in Mayport, FlaFebruary 11, 2017
You can be all you want to be in the navy too (even though that is the army's motto). I was 18 when i went in, and 23 when I came out. I got to see 20 different countries, and live in 5 different states in America in that span of time. It's a mili-world, and I may have exited it too soon. But I don't like dwelling on the past. I received my honorable discharge.
Pros
Meeting people from every corner of the globe.
Cons
Meeting people from every corner of the globe.
Great way to start out instead of going straight to college
Cryptologic Technician Maintenance (Former Employee) –  HawaiiJanuary 20, 2017

Teamwork
Discipline
Consistency

Management:
Trained people and got the task at hand done early

Workplace Culture:
Very diverse mix of people.
laid back at times
Hard Charging if things need to get done

Hardest part of the job:
Being so faraway from family. Lived in Hawaii tickets were expensive to come home to the mainland.

Most enjoyable part of the job:
Playing team sports during group Physical Training and Living in Hawaii of course.
Great environment to excel
LIMITED DUTY PROGRAM COORDINATOR/BENEFITS ADVISOR (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJanuary 26, 2017
I am proud to stand as a in front of the mirror and see a successful person I have become.
The navy provides and astonishing amount of paths for success, it is however up to the individual person to put in the hard work and obtain the goals they set for themselves.
No matter if you are deployed or not there is always something one can do to move ahead and be a better version of themselves.
Pros
opportunity
Cons
hours
Great Career Starter
Information System Technician (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAFebruary 2, 2017
A typical day at work I mustered at 0600 until 1200 when we took lunch worked until about 1700. I learned how to be a self sustained learning machine. I maintain all the schedules and organizing everyone's day. Very friendly but everyone came together to fix any problem. Learning the material to become helpful to the machine at work was by far the hardest part of the job. That pat on the back when you have got'n something done right!
Jet Engine Mechanic
Shop or Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Chicago, IL -Oak Harbor, WaJanuary 18, 2017
Things didn't differ much whether we were at our home base or onboard ship. Support the flight schedule, make repairs, prepare for the next flight. Different crews worked different areas, shop/hangar and the flight line/deck. Working in the hangar performing PM's (upkeep maintenance), of engines and fuel systems, plus the removal and replacing of the engine/s and prepare for the engine test run. Flight Line supporting the Flight Schedule, minor repairs upon the return of the aircraft, then refuel and prepare for the next flight.
Pros
the closeness that I felt with the people/family that I worked with
Cons
I'm not doing it anymore
Fast pace difficult but fun working environment
Electronic Technician (Former Employee) –  Pearl Harbor, HIJanuary 18, 2017
During my time in the navy i was often asked to do things that i may have not been ready for, due to the lack of personnel and demanding work environment. Although this created stress on me it caused me to learn quickly and become a better worker. It was a rewarding time serving in the Navy and the experience and experiences i gained from it i will forever be humble.
Pros
Great benefits and advancement
Cons
Away from friends and family a lot
militant, time conserving, practical and efficient tactics
Culinary Specialist (Former Employee) –  Everett, WAJanuary 18, 2017
the military was an interesting experience in which I learned how to work with my hands and brain alike. it takes a lot of initiative to get things done and the harder I worked during the day the faster I got off in the afternoon. it is a place where your shipmates are not only your coworkers but your roommate as well. therefore there is no inclination to privacy or discretion.
Pros
you live at work so all your needs are always met
Cons
you live at work so there is no going home
It is what you make it.
Electronics Technician (Former Employee) –  Various locations inside and outside of USJanuary 18, 2017
You will never have a set schedule, you may work 40 hours straight get a 3 hour nap then work another 20+ hours. Upper management is a joke and more concerned with politics than getting a job done quickly and correctly. Your coworkers will be your family, you eat, sleep, work, etc with them every day you will become closer with them than anyone else in your life. The hardest part of the job isn't the long hours its the red tape and politics.
Pros
Decent benifits, permenant job if you dont get into trouble with the law.
Cons
Mismanagment, little to know time with family
I should have never got out.
Information Technology Specialist (Former Employee) –  Coronado, CA. Norfolk, VAJanuary 17, 2017
Just like every job the navy has its ups and downs, The downs seem even worse because you're typically thousands of miles away from home, but in the long run the navy is definitely worth it. At no other job I have ever had i've never felt the same sense of accomplishment for completing tasks, i've never had the same sense of pride as i did when i showed up to work knowing its for the sake of my country, and i've never made friends as loyal and good hearted as the ones i did in the service. 10 out of 10 would recommend.
Pros
free housing, food, dental, medical.
Cons
Being told you have an accent by people that have an accent.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at U.S. Navy. Our community is ready to answer.

4.4