U.S. Navy Employee Reviews in United States

Found 13,930 reviews matching the search
Cant say anything bad.
Supply Technician (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAMarch 15, 2016
You know what you signed up for (for the most part). Can't say much other than choose your rate(job), you choose your fate. Cant really control who your "management" is, as with any job. The benefits were great for the individual and their families. Sometimes their can be crazy working hours, but it's the military and not a 9-5.
Pros
Heathcare, life insurance, potential to advance
Cons
working hours, time spent away from family in general
Daily Responsibilities
Administrative Assistant/Lead (Current Employee) –  Oak Harbor, WADecember 31, 2015
I enjoyed leading Sailors and Marines on a daily basis, teaching life skills such as job hunting, resume writing as well as tips for evaluations and awards. Management of major command programs has challenging at times yet very rewarding. I enjoy helping others excel at their life and job goals. Leading civilians in an office environment is rewarding as well. I enjoy teaching and facilitating and making sure all the details are completed appropriately.
Pros
Advancement, Job Security, and Benefits
Cons
Pay is not necessarily commesurate with civilian sector
Great job, just not for me
Firecontrolman (Former Employee) –  FPO, AEFebruary 5, 2016
A work day as a Firecontrolman is pretty easy when pulled into port. You come in at 0630, clean spaces, do some maintenance, and then go home at 1430 or 1500.

Management is horrible in most cases. A lot of micro management when none is needed. Also, even when you give a good idea to improve something, it gets brushed aside as if it wasn't worth it.

The co-workers are great. I have made some life time friends.

The hardest part of the day was having to do busy work. Other than that its fun for the rest of the day
Pros
Great benefits and pay
A Challenge For Successful Time Management
Fire Watch Work Lead (Current Employee) –  Bremerton, WAJanuary 30, 2016
Working on a military base, you'll often hear the phrase "Hurry up and wait.", meaning, as an employee, you are expected to show up for work on time but there may be days that you do not go on your job site for hours of not at all on any given day.

To some this can be seen as government waste, however it is important to realize that, as an employee, you are expected to be 'ready to work' at all times.

Faced with down time at work I have observed those who use that time productively by progressively educated themselves on their job duties or with outside personal interests. On the flip, there were those who wasted the time by 'resting' and idly chit-chatting.

My personal practice and opinion; If I am given the freedom to sit around and be paid for it, then I am going to use that time to better manage my skills, knowledge, and aptitude as it pertains to my work-related and personal interest abilities.
Pros
Structured Days, Diverse Work Staff, Compensation, Experience
Cons
Inconsistent Communication and Work Loads
The United States Navy is an environment that rewards a diligent work ethic.
Hospital Corpsman (Former Employee) –  Bethesda, MDDecember 13, 2015
a typical day for me would be to see 15-30 patients. I learned many things while in the United States Navy such as, punctuality, work ethic, morals, professionalism, attention to detail, and much more. Leadership was always there to guide me in the right direction, my co-workers were always there as a support system that went above and beyond expectations. Relocating often is both the hardest and best part of being in the United States Navy. It is hard to leave co-workers that you have grown fond of but it is also exciting to go out and have more experiences.
Pros
Benefits and camaraderie
Cons
depending on what rate you are advancement opportunities may be limited due to administrative quotas
Travel the world and learn a job skill and get paid all at the same time
Radar Technician (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAMarch 16, 2016
It is the military, it isn't easy. The Navy is usually seen as the safest of the branches as most of us stay on a ship even during a time of war. However it's still a tough job filled with people who clash with others all inside a metal ship isolated from any way of escaping those problems. The friendships that form are great and long lasting. The benefits are better than you will find in civilian life too.
Great experience, gained confidence, learned important life skills, emergency medical skill, and patient skills.
Hospital Corpsman (Former Employee) –  Camp Pendleton, CAFebruary 28, 2016
From 2011-2014, I served with 1st Light Armored Reconnaissance (LAR) Battalion, as a combat medic. My duties where to maintain over a 100 marines deployable status while in garrison, by keeping their immunizations, lab work, general health and medical records up to date. While participating in field exercises I ran all of the drills with my Marines and had to be ready for any medical emergencies. 2011-2012, I deployed to Afghanistan, where I participated in over 120 combat patrols, and treated 33 casualties. 2014-2015, I transferred to Naval Hospital Camp Pendleton, where I was a general duty Corpsman for L&D, SCN, and MIU. My main job was baby care, but I also drew blood on moms and babies, started IVs, gave immunizations, and triaged patients. I worked very well with all of my co-workers. The hardest part was being separated from my family while deployed or participating in field exercises. In addition management changed very often, so it was hard to get stuff done because their were always new people telling you new ways to do things, not always the most productive environment.
Pros
Great health benefits, and job security
Cons
Many hours spent away from family, and management was average.
Best decision of my life
Cryptologic Technician Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAApril 5, 2016
I could not have made a better decision about my life, when I decided I wasn't going to go to college right after high school.

I recommend everyone do at least 2-3 years. I enjoyed traveling, meeting new people, being able to be independent & my military training set me up to be employed very well, afterwards.
Pros
Guaranteed food, pay and a place to stay, military benefits, travel
Cons
Your life is not your own
Challenging workplace
Information Technology Specialist (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAFebruary 29, 2016
Worked from 12 to 36 hours from time to time with a 12 hour workday as a mean. Acquired many skills in the IT field to include administration of networks, servers and systems. Had the opportunity to lead and work along people from different ethnic and social backgrounds that allowed me to sharpen my leadership skills.
Pros
Job security and health benefits
Cons
time away from family
Not just a job but an adventure also
Administrative Personnelman (Former Employee) –  Ventura, CADecember 4, 2015
Providing customer service for the men and women of the US military. Dealing with their personal and professional questions about their service record and personal living quarters. Learned how to become a responsible, hard working, honest and dedicated individual with discipline. The one the best examples of management. The chain of command is precise and respected. Co-workers are more than just people you see everyday, your are individuals part of a collective team of patriots who believe in one concept and one goal. Hardest part the job was allowing acceptance of the armed forces code and beliefs. Most enjoyable part of the job was being able to visit over 5 countries.
Pros
job stability, excellent benefits, genuine concerned for veterans
Cons
Can die in war
A good place to begin
Aviation Structural Mechanic (Current Employee) –  Oak Harbor, WAMarch 2, 2016
The Navy was an experience. Learned a lot of skills that I never would of imagined (I can fit everything I need in life in a space smaller then your average suitcase). I met many great people who challenge the way I look at the world and for that I am thankful.
Pros
Medical Benifits, Job Security, Advancment
Cons
Poor morale, terrible leadership, and even worse communication
Long hours and hard work in service of my country
Power Plant Operator (Former Employee) –  Silverdale, WAFebruary 8, 2016
Like all military work, there is a mission to complete. There are long hours, hard jobs, bad supervisors but in the end its all worth it. Hardest parts of the job has to be leaving your family behind for months on end. However the skills I received are invaluable.
Pros
Friendships for life, great benefits for the families
Cons
Hard work, long hours, little gratification for the work you do
Very opertunistic organization
Mechanical Engineer (Current Employee) –  Great Lakes, ILMarch 28, 2016
Enjoyed every minute of my career, endless opportunities for personal and professional growth. One of the most diverse organization in the world. Equal and fair treatment with great benefits for members and their families.
Benefits
Cons
Time away from family
Fun work experience while earning honor of serving the country
Airframe Mechanic/ Line service Technician (Former Employee) –  Lemoore Naval Air Station, CADecember 29, 2015
Advancement and other opportunities in military is limitless. Navy provides its sailors the opportunities to travel around world while providing technical skill which can be use in civilian side. All the benefits are almost superior comparing to other huge organization. Teaches disciplines required for success in life. Other than deployments and separation from family, this is the best job i have ever had.
Pros
Benefits, education, travel, promotion
Cons
Deployments
Love working with wounded, ill and injured service members
Certified Therapeutic Recreation Specialist (Current Employee) –  Naval Medical Center San Diego, CAJanuary 30, 2016
Poor leadership and management in Department I am assigned, I love working in a medical setting and helping hundreds of wounded, ill and injured service members and their family's using the medium of therapeutic recreation treatment.
Pros
Felt I made a difference in the lives of my patients and their families, good benefits
Cons
Department Head did not support good patient care
A fascinating experience.
Sailor (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VAApril 3, 2016
I've had a lot of fun working in the Navy. It allowed me to grow and discipline myself. I've been given the opportunity to travel to places most people my age only dream about.
Despite the stressful environment and the long work hours I believe that it has given me a chance to figure out what I want to do in life.
Pros
Amazing benefits, free meals
Cons
Lack of communication, political nonsence
An amazing career to jumpstart your future
ATI "A" School Instructor (Current Employee) –  Pensacola, FLFebruary 11, 2016
The Navy is a great choice if you want to serve. They give you the training you need to be successful and mentorship is always right around the corner. The pace of work is always enough to stay busy and sometimes more. My family couldn't endure the deployments anymore so I had to transition out.
Pros
Benefits, security, training
Cons
High stress, Long hours
Productive, always on the move
Sonar Technician (Current Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VAFebruary 25, 2016
Working on a submarine is hard. The work hours are 6 on 12 off, but during that 12 off you are conducting maintenance, cleaning, studying, and sleep. my coworkers became my brothers, its sad to say but I knew them better than my wife. The hardest part is not being able to get to see or even talk to your loved ones. the best part is getting to see your loved one after a month or longer out at sea.
benefits
Cons
being out to sea for long periods of time
It was an honor to serve.
Aviation Boatswain's Mate Equipment (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAApril 1, 2016
The navy was a great stepping stone for me. I left my home as a boy but definitely became a man in the navy. A lot of life lessons were learnt & management in the navy has been taught through blood. The hardest part of the job was definitely the prolonged separation from one's family. Depending on where you get stationed and who the people you're around will define your opinion on "co-worker." As for me, I definitely had the outmost respect for the men and women that I worked with whilst being forward deployed. They are definitely some of the greatest Americans I know. Working with a group of people of which I could trust my life with was a humbling experience, of which I'll forever take with me. But by far the most enjoyable part of the job was the traveling. No matter who you were, in a foreign port, you were an Ambassador of America and everything you did reflected our people. I think we all did our best.
Pros
Job Security, Equality, Promotions, & Traveling
Cons
Long hours, Long periods away from family.
Spent 85% of the time away from my family
Electrician's Mate (Former Employee) –  Bremerton, WAFebruary 29, 2016
Start work at 7am. Work until 7 pm, and sometimes even later. Easily 15 hr days, sometimes. Food was terrible, unless you got some from the officer's quarters. Attitudes are the worst.
Pros
Job security
Cons
management, salary, military politics

4.4