U.S. Navy
7,781 reviews

U.S. Navy Employer Reviews

Variety of jobs
IC2 (Former Employee), Orlando, FLAugust 18, 2014
Pros: job security
Cons: was not a female world when i was on active duty.
I had several jobs in the navy. As a Recruit Company Commander (Navy Drill Sergeant and my favorite job) not only did I train recruits to be recruits I also taught classed on Chemical and Biological Warfare, Damage Control and Firefighting, Survival at Sea. I taught recruits how to swim and float and pass the swim and physical training requirements – more... to pass boot camp. – less
A great place to work and learn
Computer Engineer (Current Employee), Orlando, FLAugust 17, 2014
I was very fortunate to have been mentored by the senior visual engineer. I've been able to work on a variety of projects and learn a great deal in the 3.5 years that I've worked at NAWCTSD. The work I've done has improved training systems that are used around the world.
Teaches young people job and life skills.
Aviation Hydraulic Mechanic (Former Employee), Lemoore Naval Air Station, CAAugust 17, 2014
I enjoyed my time in the service, got schooling and travel. Would recommend a four year enlistment to every young person.
Submarines demanded a lot from their crew, but it was rewarding
Fire Control Technician (Former Employee), Pearl Harbor, HIAugust 17, 2014
Pros: being counted among the best in the navy. earning your dolphins
Cons: don't expect to have a rich personal life. you won't have a personal life.
There wasn't really a "typical" day on the submarine. You had your regular tasks but the mission was always evolving, there was always training to be done, there was always something to learn, and there was most definitely always something to fix.
Be prepared to lose sleep. Be prepared for a change of plans. It will happen. It will happen a lot.
Submarine – more... service is its own reward. – less
Room for Improvement Always Exists
Electronics Systems Supervisor (Current Employee), Norfolk, VAAugust 16, 2014
Pros: technical training, networking, travel, life experience
Cons: quality of life, not family-friendly, bureaucratically constrained, organizational management too varient in quality
Probably the greatest quality about the US Navy from my perspective, is the vocational benefits it provides.

Not many opportunities exists like the Navy for those who cannot afford technical training and college to gain the preferred work experience that is prerequisite to competitively perform to meet modern demand for skilled labor.

The jobs in – more... the Navy vary in quality, I can only speak for my own. I've learned a lot about electronics, and how to fix them. This is my favorite part of my job. You meet some great folks, and a lot of not so great folks, but that is as it is everywhere.

Management is generally subpar, with the exception of some folks that are phenomenal managers and the margin between these two layers is staggering. This can happen since in many cases, talent and ability isn't an overwhelming factor in the determination of who is a manager.

The job isn't very friendly to family life, regardless of the emphasis the US Navy asserts. The occupational requirements of being part of the US Navy inherits a imbalance with family related obligations. Scientific studies support that there exists a re-integration period for the family to experience following long absences between the service member and their respective families. Not to suggest that this is show-stopping, many people complete their careers and have a happy family life. Though because of separation and readjustment and re-integration, this job is objectively arduous for family and the service member, and this can be said because this occupation is unique and requires substantial more travel than the rest of the work market.

In closing, I submit the US Navy as one of the best equal opportunity employers to serve as a stepping stone, or a doorway to greater opportunities for future employment and education. – less
A tough Day's Work
Maintenance Supervisor (Former Employee), Bremerton, WAAugust 16, 2014
Pros: travel
Cons: military
You'll be gone a lot, and paid lightly. The job isn't very satisfying, but the pay is consistent without undulation. Enjoy the friends you make and seeing the world.
Great place to learn about job commitment and teamwork
Air Operations Radar Technician (Former Employee), NAS Patuxent River, MDAugust 16, 2014
Pros: job security and benefits
Cons: physically demanding
Typical days started around 6am with exercise. worked long shift many times with around the clock coverage needed. Had to learn to work with co-workers from many different backgrounds and varying degrees of education.
Greatly enjoyed being part of a productive team and serving my country
serving my country and proud to do it
Electronics / Computer Repair Technician (Former Employee), Vallejo, CAAugust 15, 2014
Pros: job security, and pay, and benefits.
Cons: putting up with some undesirable people.
Get to see the world and getting payed for it.
training on computers and computer displays and trouble shooting.
Learned program languages in my spare time
Hardest part of the job is inspections and mustering in the mornings.
Riding rough seas in our travels from country to country.
seeing all the different cultures of the world and meeting people.
Proud navy vet.
Quatermaster (Former Employee), VirginiaAugust 15, 2014
Pros: travel
Cons: time away from love ones.
Joining the navy was the smartest decision I ever made. While deployed coworkers become friends then family. I would recommend it to anyone not sure on what career path they want to follow. Traveling the world was priceless. Im grateful that I had the the chance to represent the U.S Navy. If given a second opportunity I would have join right out of – more... high school again. – less
A great stepping stone to pave a way for a career.
2nd Class Petty Officer (Former Employee), Everett, WAAugust 15, 2014
Come to work with a positive attitude and listen to your superiors. Management by the leadership is fair because there are those who would stick up for their peers and others would not. The workers come and go because they transfer to their next duty station, it's end of their enlistment, or they make a bad decision and get discharged. The hardest part – more... of the job is being away from your family and friends. The most enjoyable part of the job is meeting different people from all part of the country and going on deployment. – less
Great travel Experience and fun to work at.
Aviation Maintenance Administration (Former Employee), Bremerton, WAAugust 15, 2014
Pros: housing, food, electricity and water were all payed for.
Cons: a lot of work and time spent away from home.
My days were filled with work that made the work go by faster. I was able to learn how to respect authority, and how to always be punctual. The management to was great and I enjoyed working with them. My co-workers made my 12 hour shifts bearable. The hardest part of this job was being away from my family for long periods of time. The most enjoyable – more... times were traveling to different countries and experiencing new things. – less
An unforgettable journey.
Aviation Boatswains mate (Former Employee), Norfolk, VAAugust 15, 2014
Pros: travel experience.
Cons: being away for long periods of time.
The majority of the day would be spent preforming minor on the spot repairs during flight operations. Which would also include movement of aircraft around the flight deck as well as using elevators to move them from the hanger bay to the flight deck.

I based my life on the core elements that the military embodies. namely honor in a hard days work, – more... courage to meet and challenge presented, and commitment to my job.

Management was tough as normal but i respected them as our safety and completion on the mission was a top objective. Also they where always pushing and assisting us with taking the necessary steps for advancement.

The hardest part with most military careers is being away from home six months to a year.

Also with that being said, the most enjoyable part was the opportunity to travel to various countries throughout the world. – less
Comfortable workplace.
Information Systems Technician (Former Employee), Pensacola, FLAugust 15, 2014
Pros: free breakfast, lunch, dinner, and housing.
IT "A" School. Consisted of learning computer Hardware and Software Achieved my A+ certification in the process. Management and co-workers were great and worked well together to achieve the necessary goals.
Not for everyone, but is rewarding
Hospital Corpsman (Former Employee), Twentynine Palms Base, CAAugust 15, 2014
Pros: benefits, learn skills, culture, brothers in arms, satisfaction
Cons: difficult higher ups, abnormal work hours, time away from family
The military is a tough place to be if you enter expecting everyone to bow down to you. But if you put in the time, effort, and enthusiasm, you can have a successful career and feel that your time was rewarding.
Long days and enjoy the different things we learned
Third Class Construction Electrician (E-4) (Former Employee), Saginaw, MIAugust 15, 2014
Pros: free meals, healthcare
Cons: long days, co-workers, politics
We normally worked 6am-4pm. Which included running in the morning to. I enjoyed the environment and the people. I learned that no matter who you are or where you come from that people are all always either going to be there for you or they are not. I also made some wonderful friends along the way and new life experiences. Management wasn't the greatest – more... and on most days it did show but we just kept moving along just to finish the job or for the day. I enjoyed the travel of seeing different places and meeting new people. – less
Instills values and skills the average person will never achieve.
Fire Control Technician (Former Employee), Groton, CTAugust 15, 2014
Pros: travel
Cons: away from family
Turns you into a better person and teaches you to carry yourself a better way, while educating you across all levels.
Very Productive and Enjoyable
Air Field Support Specialist (Former Employee), Naval Air Station Meridian, MSAugust 15, 2014
Pros: travel, healthcare, dental, exchange and commissionary benefits
Cons: long hours
The military is outstanding organization; I've learned a lot through the years.A typical day is normally being underway at sea receiving incoming aircrafts and parking them in tight spaces in the hangar bay. Management has its challenges but I've learned a lot from the military on how to lead people through difficult moments on and off duty.What I enjoyed – more... the most about the job is that I get to travel around the world and see many different cultures and experience new foods. – less
It Is the military
Electronics Work Center Supervisor (Former Employee), Pearl Harbor, HIAugust 15, 2014
Everything is always changing. its the military. NO work life balance
Navy-Machinist Mate
Machinist Mate (Former Employee), USS Dwight D. EisenhowerAugust 14, 2014
Pros: i had the opportunity to travel and see the world.
Cons: time away from friends and family.
Although I was away from family and friends for considerable amounts of time, being in the Navy teaches you lessons you may not learn anywhere else in the amount of time. It's a great place to work considering the ample amount of different jobs the military has to offer.
Everyday was a challenge
Weapons Technician (Former Employee), San Diego, CAAugust 14, 2014
Pros: got to be outside all day
Cons: had to iron clothes everyday
Physical Fitness training in the morning, Operational excellence and focused discipline training throughout the day. Constant team building and classroom time. Enjoyed every second of the day!

About U.S. Navy

The US Navy maintains a variety of military equipment like ballistic missile submarines, aircraft carriers, surface warships, – Read more