U.S. Navy Employee Reviews

Us navy
officer, Naval Aircraft Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLFebruary 17, 2018
I joined right out of high school , and travel all over the world , if your young and don't have any idea about what to do with your life , join the navy they will tell you
Great job
Captain (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCFebruary 17, 2018
A global force for good, join the Navy and see the world. All true, remains the world's greatest fighting force at sea. All young men and women benefit from being a part of this organization.
Feeling hot, hot, hot.
ABE2 / Catapult Maintenance and Operation (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAFebruary 17, 2018
I worked in a place that other divisions would send jr. sailors as a punishment to work for an hour. Extreme heat, extremely long days, no weekends, long lines for terrible food.
Pros
Skinny, Tan, GI Bill
Cons
To skinny, goggle tan, paid dirt until you make E-5, deployment
Honorably Retired
Work Center Supervisor (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAFebruary 17, 2018
It was one of the best things I have done. I learned many skills and traveled to many places. My view of the world and receiving a college education molded me, and I am proud of my time. I just I had did more.
Pros
Develops Discipline, Professionalism, and ethics
Cons
I wish I could have stayed longer.
U.S. Navy
Machinist Mate (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLFebruary 17, 2018
Work environment was excellent and I was in charge of everything I made out the work list every day for our 25 to 30 men I was an A.M.O.W. Auxiliary Machinist Mate of the Watch so I was in charge of all watch standers and I had to take a tour of the space once an hour to check on equipment to make sure everything was running properly and I was a Quality Control Inspector so I had to oversee all major maintenance projects done in my boiler room and had to sign off on each step taken and I was also a Maintenance Manager so I had to schedule all preventative maintenance and that was daily checks, weekly checks, monthly checks, quarterly checks, semi-annual checks, annual checks, every five year checks and finally every ten year checks.
Pros
Excellent working enviroment
US Navy
Airman Apprentice (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLFebruary 16, 2018
I loved working for the US Navy.
I was in great physical shape.
I was providing security for my country over in a section of my companies hanger and in my draftsman apprentice office.
I loved the uniforms.
It made you feel good about yourself. Gave you a sense on pride.
Pros
Pride in your work.
Cons
during down time you are put under a lot of stress and they played a lot of head games.
Training received
Electronics Technician (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAFebruary 16, 2018
The Training received while serving apart of the US Navy is very comprehensive. Everything needed to succeed in the Navy is provided in a manner to help everyone grow.
A good way to gain skills
Sailor (Former Employee) –  Bremerton, WAFebruary 16, 2018
The Navy is great for anyone that had a slow start and needs some direction. The benefits are fantastic, and the job can be great depending on what you are doing and where you are located.
Stressful, rewarding, Long periods away from home
Sonar Technician (Former Employee) –  Norfolk Naval Station, VA,February 16, 2018
Its a great job for some and Terrible for others, Be prepared to be away from friends and family for long periods. There are lots of Duty Stations to go to and places and countries to visit.
Amazing
Marketing and Advertising Department Head (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIFebruary 16, 2018
The most amazing experience ever. The pay, benefits, security, travel, and family benefits are top notch. The college benefits while in service plus the gi Bill are second to none.
Fast paced and rewarding enviorment.
Reactor Technician (Current Employee) –  Goose Creek, SCFebruary 16, 2018
A typical days work was consistent and long, very arduous. Though I did learn very good management skills with people and my time. Workplace culture is very unified and supportive. Hardest part of the job was keeping up personal life, work life, and social life. Most enjoyable was the chance to travel and meet many new people while doing something only a few people get to know about in a lifetime.
Navy jobs
Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Eureka, CAFebruary 16, 2018
If you decide to go into the military, really take the time to decide what you want to do because your job will decide the type of work and life style you will have while in.
Travel
Military Police Officer (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAFebruary 16, 2018
If you are young and want to explore the world the navy is the place to be. You will work long hours at times but will get to go and see places all over the world that most are required to pay for.
Dental officer
Assistant Dental Officer (Former Employee) –  Point Mugu, CAFebruary 16, 2018
A general practice residency was very instrumental and rewarding. It provided me a dental as well as a medical residency and then I was placed as an independent dental officer on a US Navy ship and performed both dental and medical care to all ship board personnel and marines. It was very rewarding and I really learned a lot. Then I was transferred to NAS Point Mugu and served 4 years there. After 4 years there, I resigned my commission to further my education and training in the field of Orthodontics
Pros
Independent working environment
Cons
At sea most of the time
Fun
member of damage control (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAFebruary 16, 2018
The Navy brought me from a boy to a man. Gave me discipline. Got to experience many different cultures when we deployed. Got to learn about many different weapons and drive a US Navy ship
Sea duty can be very demanding
Chief Petty Officer (E-7) (Former Employee) –  Millington, TNFebruary 16, 2018
Stood a lot of underway watches and in-port duty

Sometimes difficult to plan off-duty activities due to operational commitments

Awesome travel, health and educational benefits

Was very challenging at times but so glad I stayed for 20 years
Pros
retirement benefits (retainer pay, low health insurance premiums, Post 9/11 GI Bill, disability compensation)
Cons
deployments; missing family and friends
Not the Navy
Plant Leading Chemist and Nuclear Plant Operator (Former Employee) –  Groton, CTFebruary 16, 2018
The navy was a great place to work for travel, but with improper officers and not being part of their "good old boy" click, one is quickly discouraged and worked to the breaking point (i.e. 4 hours of sleep every 48 hour period) and when the Navy decides to get rid of your rating, you are out and have no benefits with no consideration to you as a person. You are only a number and no one cares.
A great place to work
United States Navy (Former Employee) –  Newport News, VAFebruary 16, 2018
Definetly a great opportunity if you are looking to travel the world, get stationed in different places, improve your patriotism, while getting paid decently.
E-3 PSN (Former Employee) –  Meridian, MSFebruary 16, 2018
Great company. Got to travel and see the world. The benefit was so sweet. Benefits was incredible and management t hits. The work expression if learn is unmatch.
Benefits
Cons
Very struck as far as rules
Fun places to work if you want to visit places
MESS SPECIALIST (Former Employee) –  CaliforniaFebruary 16, 2018
Enjoyed my time as a sailor, boat life well 12 hours on 12hours off when your on a ship, but wow what an adventure and saw so many things,meet so many people that will always be my family
Pros
Free food, your very own bunk, activities on ships, free entertainment
Cons
Little pay

Ask a question about working or interviewing at U.S. Navy. Our community is ready to answer.

4.4