U.S. Navy
10,446 reviews

U.S. Navy Employee Reviews

SAILING THE SEVEN SEAS
Enlisted - Chief Petty Officer (Former Employee), Virginia Beach, VAMay 27, 2015
Pros: Excellent retirement, pay and travel.
Cons: Constantly on the go!!!
After completing 24 years of service, I enjoyed the traveling from all points of the world, being able to work with anyone from different lifestyles and cultures. This is a point in my life I have completed without any regrets. If I could do it again, believe me I will do it without any hesitation.
Get to travel, learn new experience, interact with all cultures
Electronic Technician/Navigation (Former Employee), Groton, CT.May 27, 2015
Teach great skills for the civilian world.
Great benifits and policies.
Depending how long in the military, harder the transisiton to interact with the civilian world
Scheduled and Organized
First Class Petty Officer - CTT1 (Former Employee), Little Creek, VAMay 27, 2015
US Navy provided me training to become a leader, team player and a hard worker. I believe in being fair, firm and impartial to all.
Electronics Tech
Electronics Technician (E6) Served (Former Employee), San Diego, CAMay 27, 2015
Pros: Travel
Cons: Downsizing of the Navy
Served 12 years, loved it. traveled all over the world, served on an admirals staff, built a destroyer taught electronics and met many interesting people.
Outstanding career oriented workplace.
Electronic Warfare Operator Flight Instructor (Current Employee), Jacksonville, FLMay 27, 2015
I was able to complete a full 20 year career and enjoyed every part of it along with gaining a tremendous amount of experience.
Administrative Assistant/Clerical Support
Aviation Maintenance Administration (Former Employee), CaliforniaMay 27, 2015
Typical days consisted of answering phones, filing documents, sending electronic mail on company information. Managed over 15 people on a daily basis. The most enjoyable part was knowing that I'd done a hard day work for a fair amount of pay.
Good for young people. Terrible for a married young professional.
Division Officer (Current Employee), Norfolk, VAMay 27, 2015
Your boss can be a tyrant and you will not even be able to vent out after work since everyone is trapped on a ship and your friends and family are far away. Your stress level never comes down. You will question yourself if it is worth it as a career everyday, considering the sacrifice you make constantly.
Serve and Protect...
USN (Former Employee), Fort George G Meade, MDMay 27, 2015
Pros: TEAM
Cons: Stability for life - always moved
Serve, protect and allow our country to have the freedom we do. Career was unmatched and never ever have had such opportunities to be part of this kind of TEAM. Miss it dearly.
Stepping Stone
Hull Maintenance Technician (Former Employee), san diegoMay 27, 2015
the navy was a fantastic stepping stone to introduce me into a new career and a trade! i seen alot of great places and have done alot of great things for our country while serving in the navy.
Friendly, Unified, Constructive, Knowledgeable
Fire Controlman (Former Employee), Norfolk, VirginiaMay 26, 2015
Pros: Great pay, advancement opportunities
Cons: Your life is no longer your own
This is the military. It is what it is. Do not take this job if you want vacations. This job is awesome and terrible at the same time. At times you will have some of the best times of your entire life and at others your worst nightmares. That said it is what you want it to be. If you want to suceed, then all you have to do is come to work and do your job. Promotions will come in quickly if you respond well to military life.
Best Decision I've Ever Made
United States Navy (Veteran) (Former Employee), Virginia Beach, VAMay 26, 2015
Pros: Defend the UNITED STATES
Cons: NONE
The US NAVY was a great adventure. I traveled to places I could only dream of. Taught me responsibility and discipline. Would sign up again if I could.
Stepping Stone Organization
Aviation Electronics Technician (Former Employee), San Diego, CAMay 26, 2015
Great for four years and done. Wouldnt recommend career. Enjoyed my time served but didnt want a career. Comradery and discipline unmatched.
Great for young non-experienced
Nuclear Machinist Mate (Current Employee), Norfolk, VAMay 26, 2015
Pros: training, travel, honorable service
Cons: paid jail time
The Navy will give you independence and training and the qualifying factors to find good work. If you go 20 years you will get a retirement. The first enlistment will give you free college, great health care, and eventually extra pay for housing and cost of living. Everything in between is rough. You will have a poor work life balance and thats being nice about it.
Hands down the best experience of my life.
Logistics Specialist (Former Employee), WorldwideMay 26, 2015
Supervisors are firm but fair. Advancement is always available and its in our hands. Like the comercial says, It's not a Job it is an Adventure. Great experience both in work and life.
A way of Life
Intelligence Analyst (Current Employee), U.S. NavyMay 26, 2015
Pros: Extensive Benefits and pay, job security
Cons: Periods away from home and family
Typical day included managing personnel, coordinating with customers, producing and disseminating products to senior leadership, conduct training on work related processes and Navy requirements.
Learned to quickly adapt to a variety of situations, able to shift from task to task without wasting time and resources, greatly improved my computer skills, and focusing on inter-personnel relations.
I have managed offices with as few as 2 personnel to providing training for more than 300 military and civilian employees.
Hardest part of job was balancing work with home life; deployments and long working hours, last minute tasking and periods of uncertainty of requirements.
Best thing I got from the navy is a great network of friends that I can always depend on, and an increased feeling of self-worth.
Great place to get your career started
Enlisted Recruiter (Current Employee), Elyria, OHMay 26, 2015
Pros: Benefits
Cons: working hours
work with many great people from all over the world. Can learn a great skill and get outstanding training. Get to travel the world for free and the benefits can not be over stressed. great health and dental coverage.
It's the Navy
Corpsmen (Current Employee), Great Lakes, ILMay 26, 2015
Pros: Navy, Travel
Cons: Family detachment
Stress full but great to work at! Only for the few and stay in it as long as you can! Great way to have a good life! You all should join!
Best time of my life
Boatswain's Mate Seamen (Former Employee), San Diego, CAMay 26, 2015
Pros: Friends and family for life
Cons: N/A
There where a lot of hectic days but I had to do what needed to be done.
I have learned a lot of life experiences
I learned a that I can be counted on when things need to be tasked with
Reactor Division
Machinist Mate 2nd Class (Former Employee), San Diego.May 26, 2015
Pros: Always had a paycheck
Cons: Reactor Division
Long days.
Trouble shooting.
Standing watch.
Maintenance.
Mechanical knowledge.
Training.
Supervising and Following.
Repair Parts.
Working with other divisions.
Tag outs.
It was a great experience.
Ship's Serviceman Second Class Petty Officer (Former Employee), San Diego, CAMay 25, 2015
Pros: Traveling, meeting new people, benefits
Cons: Away from family, long work hours
The navy taught me many life lessons. While some both good and bad. I do not regret serving my country. A typical work day was working anywhere from 7 am to 4-6 pm. Depending on what was going on that day. Deployments were fun, as long as I got myself into a routine time passed much faster.

About U.S. Navy

Imagine working with the most awe-inspiring equipment and technology the world has ever seen. Making your living as a rescue swimmer – Read more

U.S. Navy Salaries