U.S. Navy
10,195 reviews

U.S. Navy United States Employee Reviews

Takes a few weeks to get use to the change of pace, but once you fully commit its one of the best experiences you can have.
DCPO/ cook (Former Employee), San Diego, CAApril 27, 2015
A typical work day as a cook began at 6 am and would normally end around 12pm(midnight). we would cook many different dishes, many different cultures influenced these dishes. We would cook about three meals a day. It was a buffet style of serving and was available for other sailors all day. The kitchen would close at certain times for cleaning and switching watches(shifts). Other than that it was open 24 hours of day. Its a non-stop fast paced job. You meet everyone by cooking for them, its a very social job. I had long days, but it was all worth it in the end.
Co-workers are what make the military such a fun worth while experience. you bond with these people to the point where your no longer just co-workers your brothers and sisters.
The hardest part of the job was being away from your loved ones. I had a daughter my second year in. It was very hard to be away from her as a baby, but its part of the job its what i signed up for.
The part i most enjoyed was traveling. I loved every part about it, the food, the people, the scenery.
US Navy
Personnel Specialist/Interview Classifier (Current Employee), Fort Jackson, SCApril 27, 2015
Pros: consistent paycheck, great benefits, health care
Cons: lots of work
It's the Navy. I could go on and on about it, but most folks already know the benefits and risks associated.

The Navy is, like most things in life, what you make it for yourself. It's the military.
Great experience and worked with lots of great and outstanding personel
Leading Petty Officer / Supervisor (Current Employee), Norfolk, VAApril 27, 2015
Pros: Great people
Cons: very long hours
hours always changed, but the atmosphere was fast paced and demanding. the people that worked for me and that i worked for was like having a second family away from home. lots of traveling and adventures that took me all over the world.
Worked in the weather office aboard the USS Tripoli (LPH-10)
Aerographers Mate 3nd Class Petty Officer (Former Employee), San Diego, CAApril 27, 2015
Pros: Served my country.
Cons: Mostly being homesick
One of the greatest experiences of my life. It was a very demanding and rewarding life style. I can't say enough about the men I served with.
Exactly What it says on the Tin
Administrative Clerk (Former Employee), Bethesda, MDApril 27, 2015
Your mileage will certainly vary, but it was a thoroughly rewarding experience that I enjoyed greatly.The leadership is questionable at times, but most of it boils down to a difference in approach.
Demanding Work environment that expects the Best
Electrician (Former Employee), Norfolk, VAApril 27, 2015
Pros: Great Health Benefits
Cons: Requires a lot of sacrifice
I learned a lot about myself from being in the Navy and I wouldn't change a thing. The most enjoyable part of the job was the possibility of traveling the world while I was at a younger age.
Great place to work.
Petty Officer (Former Employee), JPCApril 26, 2015
Pros: Benefits, Easy to advance as long as you are doing what you are supposed to.
Cons: personal time. there isnt a whole lot unless you take leave. 80% of your time will be spent at work.
Good place to work good environment.
Benefits are outstanding.
Job security is great.
co-workers become family.
job is very rewarding.
"I had the opportunity to travel and to meet people from all over the country
Magazine Group Supervisor (Former Employee), USS Carl VinsonApril 26, 2015
Pros: Full medical and dental benefits
Cons: being away from family
Great benefits with the opportunity to advance your career while exploring the world. Job Security - Everyday you wake up knowing you still have a job. The pay and benefits are great but mostly that I get to serve my country.
Had the opportunity of serving my country while at the same time traveling around the world.
Information Systems Technician (Former Employee), VariousApril 26, 2015
Pros: Early retirement after 20 years of active duty service
Cons: None
Served as the initial point of contact for issues reported in person (walk-in), via telephone call or e-mail for troubleshooting hardware/software for desktops, laptops, tablets, smartphones, multi-function devices, and other network peripheral equipment problems.
Best job of my life.
Avionics Electronics Technician - (Former Employee), Fort Worth, TXApril 26, 2015
Pros: Security and friends
Cons: Long deployments
The camaraderie was excellent. Life long friends. World travel. What else can you say about jets, ships....and ports?
Stable
Leading Petty Officer (Former Employee), United StatesApril 26, 2015
Pros: Education and training
Cons: Long work hours
The 20 years of service had rewards and pitfalls, personal achievements of getting those around you promoted to ranks not expected by others.
Diverse and multifaceted work environment
Logistics Specialist / Supervisor (Current Employee), Norfolk, vaApril 26, 2015
Pros: Free housing
Cons: Constantly moving locations
Everyday you learn something new and are thrown into new situations, I learned to be highly adaptable. The hardest part of the job is adapting to the many different leadership styles I've encountered.
Challenging work place
Communications Assistant Leading Petty Officer (Former Employee), Norfolk, VAApril 26, 2015
Managed 15 to 20 sailors in the day to day world of communications. The hardest part of the job was being away from my daughters for months at a time. The most enjoyable part was knowing I could assist with the day to day operations of the ship and aircraft communications to get the mission complete.
Outstanding and Rewarding
Maintenance Manager, Quality Assurance Supervisor (Former Employee), Brunswick, MaineApril 26, 2015
Pros: Rewarding and challenging
Cons: Time away from family
Recommend that every young man or women consider a career start in the USN. Great training, leadership and life skills acquisition. Would not trade the experience gained for any other start out of High School / Junior College.
productive diverse n fun place to work
Office Automation Clerk Summer Program (Former Employee), Quantico, VAApril 26, 2015
This job was so educational and fulfilling. It enhanced my work ethics, customer service and office skills. Very educational. I am a team player. I can say everyone on my team were as well. We got the job done and enjoyed.
Patriotic service
Information Systems Technician (Former Employee), Western Coast of USAApril 25, 2015
Pros: Defending Democracy
Cons: Long deployments
Glad to support our country, by serving its citizens and defending freedom and democracy around the world!

Worked as an Information Systems Security technician and completed a government contract.
Place which fosters great potential for growth and self development
Cytology Technician (Former Employee), Jacksonville, FLApril 25, 2015
A Cytotechnologist is responsible for assisting Pathologists by prescreening specimens for the presence of precancerous/cancerous cells. In the medical field as a whole, especially within the military culture, you truly gain an unparellelled appreciation by way of understanding that every specimen collected or processed is more than just that...it is someone's loved one.

Management is an inescapable duty as a military member. However, just as much as management is expected to manage, it is imperative for all to recognize the necessity to be just as effective as a follower regardless of rank or title.

The hardest part of being a Cytotechnologist comes by way of missing precancerous cells during the screening phase. Mostly because it shakes the faith in your ability to catch the most obscure cancerous cells.
Adventure daily
P-3 Flight Engineer Instructor (Former Employee), Jacksonville, FLApril 24, 2015
Pros: See the world
Cons: Some one must man the watch.
Chose your rate; chose your fate. The military isn't for someone that doesn't want to work hard for their country. If job satisfaction is something you seek, today's Navy has it and then some.
Great opportunity .
Data Analyst - QA (Former Employee), Point Mugu, CAApril 24, 2015
Pros: Great experience
Cons: Low Pay
The US Navy was an exciting opportunity in an early stage of my life and it set the tone and the high standards that now accompany my life and work ethics.

I remained in the aviation field and management both.
The job was great and the people I met were even better
Technical Manual Librarian (Former Employee), Everett, WAApril 24, 2015
Pros: Benefits
Cons: Travel Alot
I learned a lot from being in the Navy and living aboard a ship but the most important things are that you have to learn to not be selfish, accepting of others who may be different, always be on time and most importantly patience.

About U.S. Navy

Imagine working with the most awe-inspiring equipment and technology the world has ever seen. Making your living as a rescue swimmer – Read more

U.S. Navy Salaries