U.S. Navy
11,099 reviews

U.S. Navy Employee Reviews

Well structured and easy going environment to work
System Admin (Former Employee), Bethesda, MDJuly 29, 2015
Pros: Difficult to advance
Cons: Awesome benefits
Worked as part of a four(4) man team mostly Creating and maintaining user accounts, profiles, security, rights, disk space and process monitoring.
The environment is mostly headed by Military officers and 2 civilians. Department consisted of about 24 military and civilian personnel. Normally teams were integrated.
Job growth or advancement was limited to civilian personnel which didn't favor me then but it they made sure we kept abreast with our specialty. There was always someone eager to lend a hand to make sure all task are completed on time. We held job training days monthly to further equip personnel.
Structured and safe.
Operation Specialist (Former Employee), Norfolk, VAJuly 29, 2015
Serving in the US Navy is a difficult lifestyle but the benefits are worth it! Definitely a fast paced environment and a strong sense of family!
Great Organization
Chief Administrative Manager (Current Employee), Virginia Beach, VAJuly 29, 2015
Pros: Job Security
Cons: Relocations
The U.S. Navy is a great place to learn and grow personally and professionally. I believe that everyone should spend at least two years in the military. It will prepare them for the rest of their lives.
Great job for someone fresh out of high school
Disbursing Officer, Petty Officer Third Class (Former Employee), Jacksonville, FloridaJuly 29, 2015
Pros: See the world
Cons: Not really any
Gave me a ton of opportunities and helped me mature and grow up! Also taught me discipline and love of this country! I am incredibly grateful for the United States Navy and all that they showed me!
US NAVY
Information Assurance/SYSADMIN (Current Employee), Oak Harbor, WAJuly 29, 2015
Pros: Pay, Medical/Dental, Housing, Travel
Cons: Time away from Family
Awesome life and professional experiences. From being stationed to different place in the world to meeting some new life long friends.
Military
Aviation Electrician (Former Employee), Honolulu, HIJuly 29, 2015
Basic military life. Not much to really explain about it besides always working and having little to no time off and numerous long deployments.
Eye opening experience
Avionics Electronics Technician (Current Employee), Lexington Park, MDJuly 29, 2015
While being in the navy, I learned a lot about how to work better with people from all backgrounds. Although the hours may be strenuous sometimes, it is worth in when you go home at night.
execellnt work place to grow and advamce
Logistic Specialist (Former Employee), San Diego, CAJuly 29, 2015
Pros: great oportunities
Cons: little time spent with your family
Receive shipments for the ship using the sling crane, and breakdown material in order from department, management can be real tough. working under pressure
Excellent Life Experience
Engineering Laboratory Technician (Former Employee), Goose Creek, SCJuly 29, 2015
The chance to serve my country and be able to travel the world is something that I will cherish for the rest of my life. There is nothing that I regret or would change in any way.
Great experience
Radioman (Former Employee), San Diego, CAJuly 29, 2015
I was responsible for maintaining the Navy's communications systems onboard ships, aircraft and at shore facilities. This was done utilizing various frequencies in the ELF, VLF, LF, MF, HF, VHF, UHF, SHF and EHF spectrums. The type of circuits maintained included voice and data circuits between the ships of a battle group and allied units.My duties also included message systems for generalized broadcasts and unit specific messages that were handled based on message priority and handling procedures.I was also responsible for the proper handling and destruction of classified material.
It's the military.
Hospital Corpsman (Former Employee), United StatesJuly 29, 2015
There are great things about working in any branch. It is a completely different lifestyle than you would have in any other institution. It must be experienced to fully appreciate.
United States Sailor
Operations Specialist (Former Employee), San Diego, CAJuly 29, 2015
Being in the Navy taught me a lot. It taught me dedication, integrity and time management. One of the hardest things about being i nthe Navy was leaving my family for long periods of time. The most enjoyable part of the Navy was that i was able to travel the world.
10 year experienced Military Veteran; Logistical support to over 3,000 US Soldiers and civilians with zero discrepancies;
Logistical Analyst (Former Employee), Patuxent River, MDJuly 29, 2015
Pros: Money management, teamwork
Cons: Long days while on deployment
Inventoried items, stocked and recorded discrepancies. Ordered items needed for division for deployment. I learned to balance receipt books and process order forms. Management was helpful in making sure that I was given a list of items and quantities that needed to be ordered prior to deployment. Myself and other employees worked together to make sure that 100% inventory was complete in a timely manner. The hardest part of the job was making sure that all numbers and money was input correctly. The most enjoyable part of the job was the freedom to make decisions on my own
High stress, High Enjoyment
Avionics Electronics Technician (Former Employee), Virginia Beach, VAJuly 29, 2015
Pros: Benefits, defending your country
Cons: Schedule, sacrifices
US Navy is what the commercials say it is on most days. High stress but lots of fun. There were days where I didn't enjoy myself and days where I had so much fun I was exhausted at the end of it. Well worth the time I put in and I wouldn't take it back for anything.
United States Navy
Information Systems Technician (Current Employee), Pensacola, FloridaJuly 29, 2015
Has given me such great skills, and an outstanding amount of information of my field. Great instructors during my training.
Greatest Team I've ever worked with
Quarter Master (Current Employee), San Diego, CAJuly 28, 2015
The United States Navy has been well to me. It has taught me a lot about being a leader and take charge in doing a task to better my team. The only reason I'm leaving is because I'm medically separated due to weakness in my left knee. I am very thankful for the opportunities that have been provide and will use what I learned in everyday life.
Excellent workplace that has been completely amazing to me thru everything.
Hospital Corpsman (Current Employee), Multiple LocationsJuly 28, 2015
I've enjoyed working for the Navy and being able to learn all these different things. The Navy on the military side and civilian side has treated me very well.
office work
Third Class Petty Officer (Former Employee), San Diego CAJuly 28, 2015
Pros: company picnics, family outings, and the over all experience
Cons: long hours, and the occasional bad mood
A typical day would consist of doing filing and maintaining files of already in data base clients. The experience was rewarding and interesting to understand all the depths of the location in which I was working. The management was enjoyable and let me do what needed to be done, they also took my advice on certain issues and applied when allowed to be applied. The co-workers were understanding, flexible and fun to be around most days. Every one has their off days and that is probably the hardest part about the job. when someone comes into work and there is no possible way to cheer them up. That emotion gets taken out on the person they are talking with and you must maintain a level of professionalism. The most enjoyable part of the day was knowing that someone was being helped in a way that was respectful and the appreciation that was given, a smile a thank you or a you made my day always was very rewarding to hear.
When you join, stay in!
Culinary Specialist, Submarine (Former Employee), Groton, CTJuly 28, 2015
Pros: Great benifits, pay, perks.
Cons: Treated terribly unless your good at your job, full of harassment.
My career for the navy was short lived due to needs of the navy and being removed however due to the benefits, the pay, and incentives you gain as a member of the military and with our current cost of living I recommend that anyone should remain in the navy if they can. After leaving I now make 3/4's of what I was making and the fact is that in this day and age we need to slave away in the military just to survive.
Very good environment.
Laborer (Former Employee), Lodge, VAJuly 28, 2015
The Navy Lodge is a wonderful place to meet an greet families from all over the globe and accommodate them as they get a feel off the VA lifestyles.

About U.S. Navy

Imagine working with the most awe-inspiring equipment and technology the world has ever seen. Making your living as a rescue swimmer – Read more

U.S. Navy Salaries