U.S. Navy
6,709 reviews

U.S. Navy Employer Reviews

On time, on target.
NAVIGATOR (Former Employee), Yokosuka, JapanApril 14, 2014
Pros: great benefits and gi bill
Cons: less than 5 hours of sleep per day and food is horrible.
Its easy, be at the right place, on time in the right uniform and do what you're told. Not more not less.
Highly demanding career
Electronics Technician (Supervisor) (Current Employee), Norfolk, VAApril 14, 2014
Pros: provides valuable skillsets through high stress situations
Cons: limited family/personal time, extremely high stress, constantly changing management
A typical day at work would include meetings discussing daily tasks or deadlines, then engaging in the supervision of required repairs or system maintenance. The day may also include counseling a subordinate on performance evaluations.
I've learned to be patient and understanding while dealing with people from many different lifestyles and cultures. – more... I have also learned to stay calm in highly stressful situations, which promotes clearer thinking and usually a safer environment.
Management has varied greatly. I have had the pleasure of working with and learning from outstanding managers, and at the same time learning how not to manage from the not so great managers. I have made it a goal to learn from those I work with/for to better myself.
I have had worked with some excellent co-workers who have become great friends. I couldnt ask for better co-workers.
The hardest part of the job would have to be the long deployments away from family. The unknown in scheduling had the potential to cause excessive stress.
The most enjoyable parts of this job are learning new things and while the deployments were hard, seeing countries that I would have otherwise never traveled to was a great reward. – less
Productive and proactive atmosphere.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Norfolk, VAApril 14, 2014
Pros: opportunities to advance.
Cons: a lot of time away from home during deployments
I have served 11 years in the Navy, and I have managed divisions and offices of 75 to 100 personnel throughout the course of my career in the military. My commitment to being a proactive member of the United States Navy has granted me the ability to learn all of the necessary requirements to manage, administrative skills, and provide great customer – more... service. Enlisting into the Navy has been by far the one of the greatest achievements thus far. – less
productive work place
Petty Officer Third Class (Former Employee), norfolfk, vaApril 14, 2014
During my time in the navy i was fortunate enough to learn time management, technical skills and most importantly leadership skills. My typical day included making sure all maintenance was complete correctly, verify all systems up and running.
United States Navy
Hydraulic systems maintenance technician (Former Employee), Norfolk, VAApril 13, 2014
Many pros and many cons to being a sailor but overall a very good experience.
Paralegal Specialist
Paralegal Specialist (Former Employee), VAApril 13, 2014
Paralegal Specialist for the US Navy JAG Office at Pentagon Code 13.
A great way for anyone just out of high school to start their career
Aviation Electricians Mate (Former Employee), Virginia Beach, VAApril 13, 2014
Pros: free healthcare
Cons: lots of time spent away from family
I would recommend the Navy or any other branch of the service to anyone just out of high school. It teaches respect discipline and a good trade.
Best decision I ever made
SE Asset Manager/ Avionics Technician (Former Employee), Fort Worth, TXApril 12, 2014
Pros: pay, benefits
Cons: hours/ little to no advancement (in navy)
I would recommend everyone join the military. Tough job, but worth every dime.
it's what you expect from a career in the military
Personnel Officer - 'HR Generalist (Former Employee), Pensacola, FLApril 12, 2014
promotion tight.
good for 20 years, then get out and make your way in the civilian world
Productive and exhilarating experience
Boatswain Mate Active Reserves (Current Employee), San Diego, CAApril 12, 2014
Pros: traveling
Cons: leaving my family for a long period of time.
Technical and industrial enviroment on a daily basis while building a good working relationship with others. While gaining an immense amount of professionalsim, attention to detail, and work ethic in the Navy. The hardest part about the job is being away from family. The most enjoyable part about being in the Navy is the gratification I get from making – more... a difference. – less
A good opportunity to serve with great people.
Fire Control Technician (Former Employee), San Diego, CAApril 11, 2014
Pros: healthcare, meals covered, paid vacations (leave), espirit de corps.
Cons: extensive deployments, extremely long working hours, long periods of time separated from family and friends.
This position was very challenging both physically and mentally. The work/life balance could be quite taxing at times. It was also very rewarding, I take pride in having served my nation alongside some of the finest men and women that I have ever met. Being a Sailor in the US Navy imbued me with discipline, leadership skills, mental fortitude, and patience. – more... It was a life changing experience and I am thankful for having had the opportunity to serve. Describing the typical day in the Naval service is difficult, because so often things were so different from day to day, a myriad of factors would dictate our operational tempo. Most days I would perform extensive maintenance, and manage other Sailors in the execution of these and many other tasks. – less
Life experience in the Navy
Boiler Operator (Former Employee), San Diego, CAApril 11, 2014
Pros: see different countries
Cons: long work days
Great opportunity to meet new people and see the world and receive a great education and grow as a man.
Exciting opportunities
lead Instructor (Former Employee), Pensacola, FLApril 10, 2014
The work is hard and the hours are long, but the benefits are worth it.
An Adventure! Made me the man I am today!
Divsion Lead / Senior Manager (Former Employee), Oak Harbor, WAApril 10, 2014
The days are long, but the work is challenging and rewarding. After 26 years, I'd recommended it for anyone....
Excellent job
Command Senior Enlisted Leader, Command Chief (Former Employee), Saratoga Springs, NYApril 10, 2014
Excellent work environment cultivated by the excellent management.
Ship and shore duty
Boatswains Mate (Former Employee), san diego californiaApril 10, 2014
Pros: great benefits
Cons: much time away from family
Managing 500 personnel in all aspects of running a ship.

The hardest part of the job was the time away from family.

The most enjoyable part was going all over the world.
It is a good start...
Petty Officer (Former Employee), Pearl Harbor, HIApril 10, 2014
The Navy taught me real responsibility, the ability to take in the status of my surroundings, managing safety, respect, enhanced learning of my job, enhanced studying methods, and gave me the ability to adapt to a plethora of situations.
Uncle Sam
Master At Arms (Former Employee), Kings Bay, GAApril 10, 2014
Serve your country and love what you do. as a Master at Arms (MP) I received intensive training to be sure I was ready
mechanics
Machinist Mate (Former Employee), Norfolk, VAApril 10, 2014
Nocomplaints, 8hr shifts and more. Management was excelent. Co-workers were good. no hard part but being away from home.
Great organization
CRYTOLOGY TECHNICIAN (Former Employee), Augusta,GaApril 10, 2014
Pros: benefits
Cons: deployments take you away from family
You get get out of the navy what you out into it. I decided it was time to move on and desired to do what i did in the military on the civilian side.

About U.S. Navy

The US Navy maintains a variety of military equipment like ballistic missile submarines, aircraft carriers, surface warships, – Read more