U.S. Navy
6,746 reviews

U.S. Navy Employer Reviews

Productive workplace
Aviation Electrician (Former Employee), San Diego, CAApril 18, 2014
Pros: everyday was exciting
Cons: constantly being overseas
I was an Aviation electrician, swim qualified, in-flight tech. I spent my career in search and rescue and anti-submarine warfare, in the some of the best people in the greatest Navy in the world.
Navy is ok
Hull Maintenance Technician (Current Employee), Norfolk, VAApril 18, 2014
It's what you make it. Have good days and bad days. It depends on the location where you work at.
Productive Environment
Contractor (Current Employee), Bethesda, MarylandApril 18, 2014
Overall professional company
Clean Environment
True Patriotism
Good food
Great experience
Deck Seaman (Former Employee), Norfolk, VirginiaApril 18, 2014
Pros: traveling
Cons: out at sea for long periods of the time
great learning experience....lots of great shipmates who all believe and take pride in being ambassadors for their country.
Fast paced, constant improvement environment
Quality Assurance/ Safety Inspector (Current Employee), Point Mugu NAWC, CAApril 17, 2014
Pros: 30 days of time off a year from day one
Cons: deployments
Always changing and taking on new duties. Dynamic environment that has high expectations. Constant training and teaching.
Rewarding experience
Surgical Technologist (Current Employee), Camp Pendleton, CAApril 17, 2014
Pros: benefits, exposure, exercise
Cons: can have very long hour, short notices, less freedom
Although it is a very challenging occupation you grow and mature in ways you thought that you would. I am so much more appreciative and open minded that I was before. I've experienced so many different cultures and beliefs from traveling and working with people from all over the United States. It is very rewarding to serve this country and provide the – more... best medical care possible. Working in military healthcare has also given me the freedom to learn a lot more and assist in a lot more procedures that I would have been able to outside of the military. I am very thankful for my experience and opportunities the military has given me. – less
Great learning experience in gaining a trade.
Dental Asst, Lab Tech, Instructor, & manager (Former Employee), The WorldApril 17, 2014
Pros: medical, dental, life insurance, a pay check, & a trip around the world.
Cons: long hours & time away from family and friends
6am Work day begins
1 hour lunch
8pm Work day ends

I've learned a lot. I started from a dental technician to a basic dental prosthetics technician to advance dental prosthetics to finally an instructor in dental prosthetics. Full circle.

I've gone from being on the lowest of the todem pole to being in charge of my own dental clinic and laboratory.

Commrodery – more... goes deep in the Navy. I've made life long friends.

The hardest part of the job is being away from family and friends from home.

The most enjoyable part of the job was literally travelling around the world. I can honestly say that I've visited at least 26 countries. – less
Served my Country...
Hull Technician (Former Employee), USA and AbroadApril 17, 2014
What can I say. The Navy was an experience. Learned a lot of the basics that I still use till this day. From welding techniques to putting out fires. I was trained in a lot of things. To many to just list out for you. Co-workers/ Shipmates...good people. Of course traveled...a lot. I remember one year I saw my family for only 3 months, total. What I – more... miss about the Navy was my team/guys. What I didn't care for was all the political...stuff. But, other than that, had an adventure. – less
Great place to work, some management hurdles to jump over.
Aviation Electronics Technician (Former Employee), NAS LemooreApril 17, 2014
Pros: room and board is provided along with food
Cons: long work hours
Work starts at 5:30 a.m. which isn't bad it's just a little stressful having to get up that early, co-workers are like family, simply because we're around each other all the time. Management puts quite a bit of pressure on the team to meet deadlines. The only really hard part about the job is the separation from family and friends. The best part of – more... the job is getting to see some pretty cool things not many people get to see. – less
Diverse challenging work space with constant changes.
Information Systems Technician 3rd Class (Former Employee), Youkosuka, JapanApril 17, 2014
Pros: free breakfast lunch and dinner, benefits, flexible schedules diverse environment.
Cons: out to sea for 6 months, general stress
Typical day in port:
Report for duty at 0500.
Cleaning stations from 0600- 0700.
From 0745 until 1430 work including maintenance reports scheduling system checks sending and receiving messages as well as connecting and communicating over frequencies.
From 1430 to 1530 cleaning stations.
Released from work at 1600 unless on duty.
I learned how to send – more... messages in military format as well as connect to frequencies and communicate over them as well as storage regulations on-board an aircraft carrier and how to fight fires. Management was fair and very strict about rules and regulations. Co-workers were diverse and friendly. – less
Professional workplace with high standards.
Command Duty Driver/Transportation (Former Employee), Portsmouth, VAApril 17, 2014
Pros: enjoyable work environment
Cons: deployments overseas
A typical day at work required early morning physical training followed by the work day which included training and standing watch. The United States Navy gave me the opportunity to grow as an individual and experience various cultures outside of my own. I learned about professionalism and attention to detail regarding job responsibilities. The hardest – more... part of the job were deployments and being away from friends and family for long periods of time. The most enjoyable part of the job was to work with a close knit diverse group who trusted and relied on each other to perform job duties. – less
Great place and great people.
Supervisor (Former Employee), everett,waApril 17, 2014
Great place to work. Maintaining equipment and providing for the facility. The hardest part of the job is keeping people happy, which is the most enjoyable.
Busy
Aviation Boatswains Mate Fuels (Former Employee), Norfolk, VAApril 17, 2014
I worked as a cashier, and was a member before the store opened, helping put together shelves and registers. Fun to work here, depending on the manager you are working with.
AO
Aviation Ordnanceman (Former Employee), Jacksonville, FLApril 17, 2014
Its the Navy. You join, and either you stay in or you get out to do other things with your life. Too funny that the job location was required.
An Adventure
Human Resources Manager (Former Employee), Miami, FLApril 17, 2014
Travel the world & get the best training known to man.
The Best Adventure Ever!
It was the military.
Electronics Technician (Former Employee), San Diego, CAApril 16, 2014
The typical work day included a lot of janitorial work. However it was a fun experience and I got to see a number of countries most people will never see in their lifetimes, that alone was worth my service.
Military Service
Loadmaster Instructor Operations Supervisor (Former Employee), Kaneohe, HIApril 16, 2014
Pros: world travel, excellent pay, benefits
Cons: contiuously working extended hours, world-wide.
Challenging and rewarding, travelled the world many times over, worked with nothing less than superb fellow Americans, proudly serving our country. Long hours over many years of service builds character, new responsibilities and time management shape your future. The people I served with were second to none.
Long hours, Many months away
Personnel Specialist (Former Employee), Norfolk, VAApril 16, 2014
It was hard being away from my family for such long periods of time. I would recommend it to young singles before I would recommend it to a married person.
Educational and excellent job security
SECRETARY/MANAGEMENT ANALYST/TRAINING COORDINATOR (Former Employee), Washington, DCApril 16, 2014
Pros: never boring
Cons: never boring
A typical day at work included:

Organizaing & developing training procedures manuals/guides and course materials;

Assess training needs through surveys, talking to employees & consulting w/managers, instructors;

Monitoring training costs so that they did not exceed my budgeted dollars & preparing reports for my immediate supervisor;

Preparing bi-weekly – more... time & attendance reports

Ordering all office supplies, maintaining logs of all expenditures so that they did not exceed my budgeted dollars & preparing reports fo my immediate supervisor;

Ordering & maintaining logs of all Cell phones, Blackberrys, etc. and preparing reports for my supervisor;

Maintaining and updating Personnel records of all Civilian & Military employees under our purview.

In my 40 years, I worked for many good & not so good managers. My last manager ,as far as manging went, fell in the not so good category. A very nicem sympthetic and personable indivdual, but a very poor manager.

Many of my co-workers were very intelligent, hard-working and knew their areas of expertise backwards and forwards. All-in-all a good office to work in. Although very busy and stressful.

Hardest part of my job was the Personnel area, due to the many comings and goings of Military personnel.

Best part of my job was the different challenges it offered every day. Never boring. – less
Professional Organization
Language Analyst (Current Employee), Various LocationsApril 16, 2014
For well over 200 years, America’s Navy has been instrumental in presenting these ideals to the world – through the selfless service of upstanding men and women; through their responsible use of incredibly powerful capabilities; and through the pride, purpose and professionalism that comes through in all they do.

About U.S. Navy

The US Navy maintains a variety of military equipment like ballistic missile submarines, aircraft carriers, surface warships, – Read more