U.S. Navy
6,685 reviews

U.S. Navy Employer Reviews

not a very work friendly enviorment
Construction Worker (Former Employee), Norfolk, VAApril 10, 2014
they tell you certain things and do another. if i had to choose i would never have joined the military. i think that they do nothing but tell you lies.
Flight deck fire fighting and parts tracking systems.
ABH (flight deck fire fighter) (Current Employee), Norfolk, VaApril 10, 2014
Pros: fantastic health benefits
Cons: not a lot of family time
Over the last 5 years I have been in charge of multiple fire teams and have gained the skills for leadership. I have worked office jobs toward the end of my career and was directly in charge of the successful disassembly of the ship, USS Enterprise (CVN-65). I have learned how to use computer tracking systems to track and order new parts and have even – more... been involved in parts assembly. I have enjoyed seeing much of the world and meeting other hard working men and women from all walks of life. It was a once in a lifetime opportunity I should never forget. – less
Diversity
Helicopter Mechanic (Former Employee), Agana, GUApril 10, 2014
Shifts were pretty easy going, work wasn't to bad, but I got a little homesick with being overseas for four years.
Stable
Network Communications Supervisor (Current Employee), Yokosuka, JapanApril 10, 2014
Pros: medical/dental benfits
Cons: long hours, always recallable
Incredibly diverse co-workers, frequent training, high-stress and high-tempo work environment.
Great worksite
GS-11 DoD Civil Service Electronics Technician (Current Employee), Corpus ChristiApril 10, 2014
This location is a great site and team to be a part of, with much experience here there isn't anything far beyond the abilities of these individuals. I have grown outside of just working on RADAR equipment and my experience has taken me to being more of an all around electronics technician working with communication systems, navigational aids, and even – more... weather equipment. The management and my coworkers make up a great team. Leadership is fair and there is no favoritism or "one way" of doing business here, very open atmosphere. The actual team members are great at making everyone feel welcome and bring you up to speed on anything you're a little "rusty" on. – less
a typical day at work
Submarine Missile Technician (Former Employee), Kings Bay GAApril 9, 2014
Pros: great people
Cons: long deployments
* Inspect, troubleshoot and repair missile launch systems
* Replace and repair of hydraulic lines, pumps, valves and filters
* Replace and repair pneumatic regulators and components
* Conduct diagnostics of electrical circuit boards related to missile launch systems
Military life was not for me.
Radioman (Former Employee), LST 1082April 9, 2014
Work days started when I enlisted and ended when I was discharged from the Navy.

I learned basic electricity and electronics theory and practices, International Morse Code, and operations of a variety of radio equipment and the maintenance of the equipment.

Shipmates were alright.

The most enjoyable part of the job was visiting a variety of countries – more... when not in combat zones. – less
great branch to serve in
Machinist Mate E-4 Engine Room Supervisor (Former Employee), philadelphiaApril 9, 2014
The navy help me to get my start into the industry very educational great experience
Overall great life training
Information Systems Technician 2nd Class (Former Employee), Napoli, CAMApril 9, 2014
The most enjoyable part about the job is all the people you meet around the world and the lifelong friendships that are made
Productive and fun workplace
Business Analyst (Current Employee), Arlington, VAApril 9, 2014
Very laid back environment, family like but still a results based environment where we all come together to ensure our clients are completely satisfied with our services.
good
Culinary Specialist/ Supply Administrator (Former Employee), Jacksonville, FLApril 9, 2014
Pros: good
Cons: good
good, nice place to work cant wait to work again, enjoyed the place that I worked when I was in the navy
EXCELLENT WORK ENVIORMENT GREAT TRAVEL
Gunners Mate (Current Employee), Honolulu, HIApril 9, 2014
SERVING IN THE US NAVY IS THE EXPERIENCE OF A LIFE TIME. GREAT TRAVELING BENIFITS.
Navy
ADVERTISING/MARKETING COORDINATOR (Current Employee), Pittsburgh, PAApril 9, 2014
The Navy has provided me a wealth of knowledge and experience in a great many areas. I truly enjoyed the daily challenges that tested my ability to adapt and overcome.

I would have no problem recommending this type of career to anyone interested in challenging themselves.
Long and unforgiving hours for little compensation and very little consideration for the work force.
Logistical Specialist E-3 (Former Employee), Norfolk VAApril 9, 2014
Pros: consitent work.
Cons: long hours, little pay, demanding deployment cycles.
Every day over seas was a 12 hour shift while enduring temperatures of up to 120 degrees while trapped down inside sweltering store rooms.

In port the 'leadership' shown by our chiefs and officers was poor to say the least. Constantly hampering work flow, making false carrot on a stick promises, and in general showing little regard for their fellow – more... sailors. – less
Good
electronics technician (Current Employee), kingsville, txApril 9, 2014
Pretty good, pay was ok and I got to see the world. Hardest part was being away for so long from family.
Best way to show my country how i feel.
Aviation Boatswain's Mate - Fuels (ABF) (Current Employee), Battle Creek, MiApril 8, 2014
Pros: see the world, great pay and great benefits
Cons: long hours, and long deployment
I have serve in the US Navy for 10 years now, and I don't regret one thing about it. I seen so much of the world, that would of never even of thought of seeing. Great Pay, and Great Insurance.
Excellent place to learn responsibility and gain valuable experience
GAS TURBINES SYSTEMS (ELECTRICAL) (Former Employee), San Diego, CaliforniaApril 8, 2014
Pros: excellent medical and dental insurance program
Cons: periodic absences from family
Everyday was a challenge because the environment was so dynamic. I learned the value of proper planning and flawless execution while under a tremendous amount of pressure.
My Job
Transportation and Maintenance Manager (Current Employee), Naval Station Norfolk, VAApril 8, 2014
Pros: good people and excellent job
Cons: im soon to retire
The easy part of my job is managing good people. The hardest part is dealing with people who get in trouble. I have about 15 years experience in managing people. A typical day at work is having everybody together in the morning to put out information, and then checking up on people and our workload to make sure work is getting done.
GREAT
SAFETY OFFICER (Former Employee), 1175 uss henry clay blvd kingsbay gaApril 8, 2014
i retired in 2012 after 20 years .i miss it every day .i would go back tommorrow if i could. once a seabee always a seabee.
Its not for everyone.
Electronics Technician (Current Employee), Norfolk, VAApril 8, 2014
Pros: job security/satisfaction
Cons: deployments
The US Navy has its ups and downs. Ship life can be rough, so can being away from home. The job is very satisfying though and the people are great. All walks of life; all colors and creeds; all living together, working together, trying to solve the same problems. Only in the US military.

About U.S. Navy

The US Navy maintains a variety of military equipment like ballistic missile submarines, aircraft carriers, surface warships, – Read more