U.S. Navy
9,403 reviews

U.S. Navy Employer Reviews

It was the Navy
Nuclear Machinist's Mate (Surface) (Former Employee), Bremerton, WAFebruary 23, 2015
The job was terrible but rewarding. We deployed a lot. It set me up for a decent life outside of the Navy. I would go back in a heart beat because the job was so much more satisfying than anything I have found in the civilian sector.
Best Decision Ever
Aviation Ordnanceman (Former Employee), San Diego, CAFebruary 23, 2015
I'd Join again if i could. Best decision of my life. I miss the people and new places we would get to visit. It taught me a lot and help me grow. The satisfaction i would get when receiving a simple Thank you was enough payment for me.
The US Navy is a great career however in recent years we've downsized and overloaded the remaining work force to thin.
Table of Allowance Asset Manager (Current Employee), Port Hueneme, CAFebruary 23, 2015
Pros: Pride in service and great benefits
Cons: Place you where you don't fit and expect high results.
A typical day at work for me in the US Navy started before 0600 and ended after 1700-1800.

I gained two to three times the experience in service as I would've some where else because you get a large level of responsibility earlier and you have minimal resources to get the mission done. Additionally, we are required to have a vast level of knowledge in order to be put in charge of the away teams.

Co-workers are great managers and highly efficient group of people.

I enjoy the working through the challenges with my team and being a part of something bigger and higher than myself.
military
ABH (Current Employee), WashingtonFebruary 23, 2015
military military military military military military military military military military military military military military military military
Professional and productive work environment
Information Systems Technician (Former Employee), Norfolk, VAFebruary 23, 2015
Pros: steady paycheck, adventure, camaraderie, service of country, great benefits
Cons: working extremely long hours, no freedom
I learned to work with many different types of people, and became very close with the people that I work with, to the point that i consider them a part of my family. I received traditional and on the job training for network administration, Linux and Windows operation and maintenance, and management. Extremely long hours on a very regular basis, leaving friends and family, and lack of communication are the hardest part of my job.
Very stressful
Departmental Manager (Former Employee), Pt. Mugu, Oxnard CAFebruary 23, 2015
Pros: see the world and experience other cultures.
Cons: uusally had to pick others up. usually o-3's who acted lost and inexperienced.
US Navy is very time oriented. Projects must be accomplished
or the department will fail. Always have to be aware of your task at hand and help others who can't keep up.
Excellent adventure
Machinist, Quality Control Inspector (Former Employee), San Diego, CAFebruary 23, 2015
Pros: excellent college fund
Cons: time away from family
Provides free trips, meals, lodging, healthcare and excellent college fund. Showing up in the right uniform and grooming standards is a must and do that, you have accomplished 50% of what you have to do for the day.
A Global Force for Good
Regional Human Resources Director (Current Employee), Dallas, TXFebruary 23, 2015
The U.S. Navy given me the fortunate opportunity to serve the people of this great Nation, travel the world, and gain the skills and leadership development necessary to be successful.
productive, can be very fun, see the world
Non-commissioned Officer (Current Employee), Lemoore, CAFebruary 23, 2015
Pros: brotherhood, great benifits, travel to some great places
Cons: unpredictablity in hours and location
A typical day can range anywhere from running around on a flight deck with no break for 12 hours to watching movies and doing nothing for another 12 hours.
I learned teamwork, sense of accomplishment, craftsmanship and pride in my work.
Management is typical of any other job. You can have good leaders and managers to bad. It changes very rapidly.
My co-workers come from all walks of life in a wide range of different backgrounds. From the backwoods of Alaska to the inner city of Chicago and New York.
Hardest part of my job is the long hours that can happen and being away from home on deployment.
The most enjoyable is the travel, the people you meet, the sense of pride in your work when the mission is complete, and the great expanse of our ocean.
All phases of aircraft maintenance, repair, and operations.
Aviation Worker (Former Employee), NAS Whidbey, Oak Harbor Washington.February 23, 2015
Pros: retirement
We spent a long time at work making sure the planes were up and flying with few problems, none that were bad enough for the plane to stay on the ground. We made sure the flight schedules were met, orders were cut correctly, and eveything was documented correctly.
Best life decision I have ever made.
Electrician/Supervisor (Former Employee), Norfolk, VAFebruary 23, 2015
Pros: pay, coworkers, and benefits
Cons: very little advancement
A typical day of work was not easy. It came with many challenges, but also came with friends that would last a lifetime. Nothing stood in our way because we were a team, and a family. I learned not only to be an electrician, but more importantly I learned how to be a man.
All things Navy and Marine corps for MIDN and active duty staff
Administrative Asst (Current Employee), Boston, MAFebruary 23, 2015
Active duty orders for MIDN traveling
Remedy of any pay issues
Scholarship activation at MIT, Tufts, Harvard, BU, BC, NEU
Routine correspondence per Navy guidelines w/r/t commissioning scholar Midshipmen
enjoyed my job and the people I worked with
Grant Specialist (Former Employee), Chicago, ILFebruary 23, 2015
Pros: my job was enjoyable to me. i really enjoyed what i did and was good at it.
Cons: i couldn't take care of my husband and work there.
Awesome place to work. I worked there for 6 years and enjoyed my job. I retired early to care for my husband who died in 2005.
Deployment Tech
HP-Deployment Technician (Former Employee), Bremerton, WAFebruary 23, 2015
Deployed new Windows 7 desktops and laptops for users within various United States Navy sites. Also able to troubleshoot printer issues and outlook issues.
An adventure.
Instructor/Avionics Tech/QA Supervisor/AVCM (Former Employee), NAS PAX River, NAS Jacksonville, Many Deployments.February 23, 2015
Pros: regular paychecks. 30 days paid vacation per year.
Cons: can be a hazard.
Very flexible hours. You can see the world courtesy of the United States Navy. Diverse coworkers from all walks of life. All the overtime you want or need.
Great way to see the world, and gain experience.
SH-Ships Serviceman (Former Employee), San Diego, CAFebruary 23, 2015
A typical day would be as: Early to bed/ Early to rise: Hurry Up and Wait! Lessons on taking pride in what you do, how you look, and learning patience. co.workers / fellow servicemen all learn how to work as a strong team or be self motivated when working alone.
Miliary
Aviation Electronics Technician (Former Employee), Jacksonville, FLFebruary 23, 2015
It is the military, so you should know what to expect before going in.
Sometime long hours sometimes short hours. Job security but will take you from home.
Very good learning experience with great travel benefits.
Personnel Specialist (Former Employee), World-WideFebruary 23, 2015
The US Navy was a good experience with a lot of benefits, including travel. The work was decent with a lot of good advancement oppurtunities. Always meeting new people and experiencing multiple different cultures was always the most difficult part, but it added to the job discipline.
OK
Budget and Logistics Analyst (Former Employee), Bethesda, MDFebruary 22, 2015
Can be very difficult if you have a family as it often puts a strain of family life. An OK place to work depending on your command.
Great way to jumpstart your life, or a great career if you choose.
An active Electronics Technician (Current Employee), Norfolk, VAFebruary 22, 2015
Great way to receive education and training. Can be hard on family life. Alot of time away from home and family. If you choose to stay and make a career can have many good benefits.

About U.S. Navy

The US Navy maintains a variety of military equipment like ballistic missile submarines, aircraft carriers, surface warships, – Read more