U.S. Navy
8,313 reviews

U.S. Navy Employer Reviews

United States Navy, Sailor, Honor, Courage, and Commitment
Yeoman, Second Class Petty Officer (Former Employee), Pascagoula, MS; Jacksonville, FL; Manama, BahrainOctober 14, 2014
Pros: benefits (health/dental), tuition assistance, salary
Cons: long work hours
A typical day at work consist of me filing, typing, and preparing correspondence; awards, letters, and etc.
Organizing and conducting award ceremonies
Taking care of mail-ins and mail-outs
Stood quarter watch to monitor for harmful situations such as terrorism
US NAVY
Seaman Apprentice (Former Employee), Great Lakes, ILOctober 14, 2014
BEST JOB IN THE WORLD. WOULD ENLIST AGAIN IN A HEARTBEAT. MET A BUNCH OF GREAT GUYS AND LEARNED A BUNCH.
Hospital Corpsman
Hospital Corpsman (Former Employee), Jacksonville, FLOctober 14, 2014
Qualified basic emergency technician. Schedule patient appointments. Administer EKG's, visual acuity test, take vital signs.
BUSY BUSY BUSY
Operation Specialist/ Reserve Liaison Admin Clerk (Former Employee), san diego, caOctober 14, 2014
Pros: see the world, experience different cultures, great benefits for family
Cons: not enough time spent with family
The Navy as a whole was an exciting experience for me. I enjoyed being able to travel, meet new people, and be out to sea from time to time.
Provides a good starting point for careers
ABH, BU (Former Employee), multiple locationsOctober 14, 2014
A great place to build a solid based career. Many jobs to choose from. You will get the opportunity to travel and see the world like you never seen it before.
My experience in the military
QA Inspector/Special Projects Coordinator (Former Employee), Williamsburg, VAOctober 13, 2014
Pros: great opportunity to see the world, grow as an adult, learn new cultures
Cons: management may vary, hard to advance
Mostly everything is laid out for you for the work day. You know what you have to do, when you need to be somewhere, and what is expected for the most part. Being a Seabee, a typical day for me would be inspecting vehicles, ordering parts, performing quality assurance checks on work completed, reviewing documents.

I learned such a vast amount knowledge – more... and gained just as much experience to follow. Hard to really share it all. Major things I learned would have to be understanding the importance of the objective, knowing who to go to for answers because being a leader isn't about having all the answers but knowing where to find them. And I would have to say taking responsibility.

Management is always different cause you could be working for more than one boss so to speak. Mostly you can go to your leadership for help or guidance as long as you stick to the chain of command.

Co-workers are always interesting as in you learn new things from how they were brought up and what they experience. New tricks and tips, how to be proactive in a lot of other areas of working. You pick up traits as you go along.

Knowing that you are part of a team, growing together, working together. Sharing blood, tears, sweat, and having to leave that behind sometimes because its your time to rotate. The camaraderie
would have to be the hardest thing of the job cause you dont get that everywhere you go.

Most enjoyable thing would be going out to different countries, the training, learning new things, and being a person that serves – less
Great chain of command structure.
AIR TRAFFIC CONTROLLER (Former Employee), Jacksonville, FLOctober 13, 2014
I was a primary ground controller where I formulated and issued ground movement clearances to 11 aircraft squadrons and multiple vehicles operating on the airport. I was also directly involved in the operations of the U.S. Customs totaling over 138,000 annual flight operations
High Tempo/With little home time
Central Technical Publications Librarian (Current Employee), Lemoore Naval Air Station, CAOctober 13, 2014
Pros: satisfaction of serving our great country
Cons: time away from family
Job security is awesome, but that comes at the expense of time spent with family.
Worked as a dental technician and thoroughly enjoyed it.
Electronics Technician ET2 E5 (Former Employee), CaliforniaOctober 13, 2014
Was kept very busy and enjoyed working with all in the Air Force, a great bunch of people.
A very highly paced and challenging job
Assistant Safety Training Representative (Former Employee), Virginia Beach, VirginiaOctober 13, 2014
It was a very good job, high paced, mentally and physically demanding, requires discipline, ambition, focus and motivation. Multiple areas of opportunities and benefits.
Fast paced, challenging
Logistics Specialist (Former Employee), VAOctober 13, 2014
Pros: fun, challenging, interactive
Cons: gone from home
Ordering and receiving of parts.
Part inspections on HH-60 Helicopters.
Inventories
Deployments
An experience I will never forget
Seaman (Former Employee), Earle, NJOctober 13, 2014
Hardest part of being in the Navy was the amount of time away from my family. I was proud and enjoyed being part of the worlds greatest Navy.
Great learning experience
3rd Class Petty Officer (Former Employee), Norfolk, VAOctober 13, 2014
A great workplace for traveling, meeting people and learning new things. It's not a good place to start and raise a family with both parents being in the military because it all comes down to the needs of the military.
Great Way to Start Life
Sonar Technician 2nd Class (Former Employee), Oak Harbor, WAOctober 13, 2014
Being in the Navy has taught me so much as far as being responsible and deciding how I want to live life. They provide excellent means of going to college and working a full job at the same time. Excellent flexibility and bring on the job teaches you the necessary skills needed for civilian life.
Outstanding Work Place
Advanced Radiographic Technologist (Former Employee), Portsmouth VAOctober 13, 2014
Pros: great educations opportunity
Cons: long hours
Working in the US Navy as a Hospital Corpsman was and outstanding job. I had the opportunity to work in all phase of Radiology was excellent. Every day was an new experience that build on to my skill set. As you advanced in rant you advanced your working knowledge.
A constant challenge with bad coffee.
Electrical maintenance technician (Current Employee), San Diego, CAOctober 13, 2014
Pros: job security, free training, exciting lifestyle.
Cons: poor working conditions, old computers, lack of proper equipment
While I greatly value the skills I have learned in the navy I'm looking for somewhere less transitory. My job is very challenging and not a lot of people choose to remain in our position for a career including myself. With regards to my day to day work environment, there was none. Every day held new challenges to be overcome. Work was a constant mix – more... of maintenance, troubleshooting, operating the plant, qualifying, and training. The hardest part of the job was trying to accomplish all your goals at once. I have grown used to switching between maintenance, studying, and qualifying on almost no sleep. While the work is brutal I have met some of the most interest and decent people during my career. While I cant say this is job I would want to do again I'm glad I did it. – less
Career Change
Machinist's Mate 2nd Class (Former Employee), Pensacola, FLOctober 12, 2014
Pros: training in such a wide variety of areas.
Cons: i spent a lot of time away from friends and family
I grew up in the Navy , I loved it. It was an excellent experience. Truth be know I miss it.
Hard work but very rewarding.
Damage Controlman (Former Employee), San Diego, CAOctober 12, 2014
You start your day bright and early, and if your like me you have to wake up earlier to get a good shave in to pass your morning muster. But after ward it passed like any other job, you show up for work do your job, go home. A lot of the work was easy, mainly drills take place though out the day. If its your day of duty, you do not go home after the – more... work day, you stay behind and maintain the ship. I learned a lot from working in the military far to much to list. The management is like any other, You listen to your senior, Some are good some are bad. Your co-workers are your family, if your thousands f miles away from your family, you have no one else.There were quite a few hard parts, Being such a big man, its hard for me to squeeze into the small areas I had to to work on my systems. The most enjoyable part, is the benefits and respect you get for doing it. – less
Productive and quality enviornment
Hospital Corpsman (Former Employee), Washington, D.C.October 12, 2014
Pros: great benefits, and great co-workers
Cons: deployments
It's a great place to grow and learn how to be a professional. Learn a lot of great qualities and skills you can take with you as you further your career, whether it is in the civilian sector or the military. Meet a great group of sailors from all walks of life.
Very good experience for a young person 1956-1960
Petty Officer Aviation Electronics Tech (Former Employee), Uss Intrepid,NYRota, Spain, Incerlik,TurkeyOctober 12, 2014
Pros: travel
Cons: danger
Awesome travel experience Shipboard on aircraft Carrier

Flying over the Back Sea and Russia performing electronics Countermeasures

About U.S. Navy

The US Navy maintains a variety of military equipment like ballistic missile submarines, aircraft carriers, surface warships, – Read more