U.S. Navy
9,897 reviews

U.S. Navy Employer Reviews

Great Training, Long Hours
Circuit Card Repair Division Supervisor (Former Employee), Norfolk, VAMarch 24, 2015
As is any job in the military, you work very long hours. This is and was expected going in. The training I received was top-notch and I feel it prepared me well for the civilian sector.
Wonderful team to be apart of.
Administrative Assistant (Yeoman) E-8 (Former Employee), Great Lakes, ILMarch 24, 2015
this is the best team to be apart of. I have seen so much of the world. I've also learned things that I'd never thought I'd be able to do.
Best job in the world!
Administrative Manager (Current Employee), Norfolk, VAMarch 24, 2015
Pros: Steady pay
Cons: Time away from family
I really enjoyed my 24 years in the Navy. I got to travel all over the world and experience different cultures. I made lots of friends and created a strong network of varying areas of expertise.
Highly motivating and challenging work place.
Hospital Corpsman Petty Officer 1st Class (Former Employee), Last duty station was Quantico,VaMarch 24, 2015
Pros: Physically challenging and highly diverse culture.
Cons: Very authoritarian aND LOTS of deployments.
Being called into service of my country, given the opportunity to train and lead has been an immensely rewarding experience. Personal responsibility, proper use of equipment, and time management skills are the most valuable of the take-a-way assets I have gained. I have gained great insight into what real leadership is, and what it is not. Many of the friendships were molded I n the joint commitments to job accomplishment. Ironically the hardest and yet most enjoyable parts of this experience was the constant change in personnel.
Excellent place to work.
Seabee (Former Employee), Kings Bay, GaMarch 24, 2015
Military constructions and operations. Also was considered light infantry. Was great to be paid to stay in shape. Get to travel the world.
Great opportunity
Electronics Technician (Former Employee), GAMarch 24, 2015
I went into the Navy after high school to get money for college. Going into Submarines was the best choice I have ever made.
Vet
Cryptologic Technician Collections (Former Employee), augusta gaMarch 24, 2015
• Turned controls & throw switches to activate power, adjusted voice volume and modulation, and set transmitters on specified frequencies.
• Operated sound-recording equipment to record signals and preserve broadcasts for purposes such as analysis by intelligence personnel.
• Sent, received, and interpreted coded messages.
• Repaired radio equipment as necessary, using electronic testing equipment, hand tools, and power tools
• Validated known intelligence with data from other sources.
Gathered, analyzed, correlated, & evaluated information from a variety of resources, such as law enforcement databases.
High tempo, loved it!
ADMINISTRATIVE OFFICER (Former Employee), Port Hueneme, CAMarch 24, 2015
Pros: Travel, New People, Developing a global perspective.
Cons: Long deployments away from family.
Never a dull moment, great camaraderie! Sharpened and honed in on all aspects of my life to make me a better at all I do. Really enjoyed meeting people from all over the world and experiencing life on a ship.
Clerical clerk
Administartion (Former Employee), Virginia Beach, VAMarch 24, 2015
Managed over 5,000 personal records. Supervised 20 junior sailors in the completion of daily task. Helped with clerical duties and correspondences for the Commanding and Executive officer of a command. Helped sailors maintain personal records. Held a Secret security clearance through the military
Extremely stressful environment
Aviation Structural Mechanic of Safety Equipment (Former Employee), Lemoore, CAMarch 24, 2015
A place where honor, courage, and commitment motivates every sailor to stand proud to serve his/her country with integrity.
good and bad as a navy seabee
Crane Mechanic (Former Employee), gulfport msMarch 23, 2015
Pros: lots of different types of equipment
Cons: lack of speclity tools
always waiting on parts never enough tools or proper tools for the job but we always got it done. one of the best crane programs out there military or civil world
Good out of Highschool
Aviation Ordnanceman (Former Employee), EverywhereMarch 23, 2015
Good to work and be able to receive benefits to go to school with later although many do not. Do not really care about the people who work for them.
GREAT BENEFITS
Manager (Former Employee), norfolk, vaMarch 23, 2015
Tough schedule but great benefits. Has a diverse work environment. Great for single people who want to travel the world.
A day in the life of a United States Navy sailor
Aviation Ordnanceman 3rd Class (Former Employee), Oceana, VAMarch 23, 2015
Pros: the feeling of hearing from the troops on the ground, that the weapons we load, saved their lives.
Cons: being away from your family for long periods of time.
My job in the Navy was an Aviation Ordnance. A typical day a work consisted of handing all ammunition, including missiles, fuses, detonators and rockets. We were responsible for the acquisition, safety, storage, buildup, delivery and subsequent loading and unloading of ammunition onto aircraft. I learned the meaning of teamwork. The individuals I worked with were not just my co-workers but my family. We were a brotherhood, always pushing each other for greatness. I learned that in order to become a great leader, you must first be a follower. That the people who have a big Eco' are the ones that never become a leader everyone looks up to. If you have to use power to lead your people, you are never a true leader. I learned that you should be firm but fair. The people you are in charge of should not fear you but want to work for you. The hardest part of the job was going on 9 months deployments, leaving your family behind. The most enjoyable part of my job was knowing I am defending my country.
Life changing experience
Fire Control Technician Third Class (Former Employee), Kings Bay, GAMarch 23, 2015
I could spend an entire day writing about the US Navy and how much fun it was for me to be apart of the worlds greatest military. They only words I have to put are life changing
For the love of my Country
Hospital Corpsman (Former Employee), Camp Lejeune, NCMarch 23, 2015
Pros: great medical care and travel opportunites
Cons: away from family due to military duties
The United States Navy taught me discipline and loyalty. I enjoyed traveling to different countries and meeting new people. I gained a large amount of medical experience from working in the Emergency room at the Naval Hospital on Camp Lejuene.
Productive and Fast Pace
Aviation Structural Mechanic (Current Employee), Jacksonville, FLMarch 23, 2015
Sailors would get to work and check the tool inventory. Upon completion a maintenance meeting will be held to figure out what maintenance needs to be done on what aircraft and which aircraft would need a pre flight inspection to accommodate the daily mission. All sailors would work together to meet maintenance deadlines.
Nice, but strict
Operation Specialist (Former Employee), Norfolk, VAMarch 23, 2015
I really enjoyed the Navy. I loved being out to sea, where there's nothing but water as far as you can see. it was fun, especially when we pull into ports. you get to see all sorts of different people.
US Navy is a hard working committed work environment dedicated to honor, courage and committment.
Airman (Current Employee), McGuire AFBMarch 23, 2015
Pros: free medical benefits, gym time during work, military discounts, companionship
Cons: no cons at this point.
As a motivated individual, working for the US Navy is perfect. There are many leadership classes geared towards helping out the employees for the civilian world as well as the military aspect. A typical day at work starts promptly at 0645 and consists of taking care of every action that is passed down to me and my work center. We finish our work in as expeditious a manner as possible, while still maintaining a safe work ethic along with paying attention to detail. The hardest part of the job is that you have to be ready for anything at any time possible, day or night, so you have to always keep your head on a swivel and watch out for your shipmates. I enjoy most everything about the job and am glad I was able to serve my country as a United States Sailor.
On the job airframe training
Aviation Structural Mechanic (Former Employee), Jacksonville, FLMarch 23, 2015
Pros: knowledge, experience, group work
Cons: no overtime, being put into military related duties instead of keeping you in your job
During my time in the Navy I worked on P-3 Orions performing Airframe functions. These functions trained me well on hydraulics, landing gear, structural repair, minor finishes and a little rigging. I was sometimes put in charge of a group of people for plane washes and lubrication. The job has a variety of jobs, sometimes they are performed by one person who is qualified and trained, and sometimes it would require help of one or two more, i.e. heavy lifting or doing different things at once. The hardest part of the job was balancing the military duties and the job, whenever it became demanding. But it was never an issue to handle both. The most enjoyable part of the job was the unlimited knowledge, availability of tools and material to learn as much as desired.

About U.S. Navy

Imagine working with the most awe-inspiring equipment and technology the world has ever seen. Making your living as a rescue swimmer – Read more

U.S. Navy Salaries