U.S. Navy
8,537 reviews

U.S. Navy Employer Reviews

Navy review
Quartermaster (Current Employee), San Diego, CANovember 12, 2014
Pros: long breaks, time for personal errands, help from co-workers for anything, can get free housing (room or ship)
Cons: out to sea for extended periods of time, being away from home, people in your personal buisness
the Navy has a lot of culture and its own rules. its more of a daily lifestyle rather than just a "job". there are a mix of people you have to work with. i dont wish to speak to much about the navy.
Best 30 year job you could have.
Maintenance Supervisor (Former Employee), Lemoore, CANovember 12, 2014
Pros: people
Cons: mandatory retirement. long periods from home.
Professional and always willing to grow. Developed me from a young person with no direction to someone who ended up managing 400+ people. Teaching was the best part of the job.
Can be a great place to improve yourself physically and professionally, given the opportunity.
Electronics Technician Third Class Petty Officer (Current Employee), Kittery, MENovember 12, 2014
I can not review the navy at this time. It is not for me to say what i feel online.
great experiance
Interior Communication Electrician (Former Employee), us navyNovember 12, 2014
the navy was a great job that developed me into a great leader and mentor to many people.

it also tough me allot of different skills ranging from electronics to carpentry
had a great time. Travel all around the world
Equipment Supervisor (Former Employee), Palms, CANovember 12, 2014
There was something new to do every day I came to work. Most of the time it depend on what was going on in the news. Co-workers were great. i have a lot of friends across the world now. The hardest part of my job is pressure we have sometimes to make sure everything work smoothly.
Typical day at work.
Aircraft Mechanic and Designated Plane Captain (Current Employee), Tinker AFB, OKNovember 11, 2014
Pros: benefits, team effort, opportunities
Cons: sometimes no breaks, conflicting schedules
A typical day at work consisted of showing up 15 minutes early for turn over. There are three shifts and each has an appointed supervisor. I was appointed day shift supervisor which was in charge of all shifts (including their supervisors). Each day the supervisors would show up early to start the turn over process which included inventory, work schedule – more... pass down, and updates on current events. I learned a great deal of time and resource management, delegation, and conflict resolution. During my time of work the most stressful of situations tended to be an overloaded work load which trained me to be a better manager. Managing others to do tasks at certain times and places was the most enjoyable experience as I was able to see and learn what was the most effective way of getting the job done in an orderly and safe way. Making future tasks much easier to accomplish. Most co-workers were very competent and got the job done, although there were few that ended up needing disciplinary action. I loved being in an environment where everyone was working together to accomplish the task and succeed. – less
Life career i just chose to be with my new family than be away from them all the time
Aviation Ordnanceman (Former Employee), Bremerton, WANovember 11, 2014
Pros: traveling, friends, family, all in the military. not to mention serving my country.
Nothing negative to say about my military life. Definitely a career job wish i had of re-enlisted.
Productive and challenging
Building Maintenance Manager (Former Employee), Norfolk, VaNovember 11, 2014
Pros: travel, excellent benifits
Cons: being away from family
A typical day included mustering, inspection of personnel, and doing Preventive Maintenance in the reactor plant. The upper management was great and really gave great guidance. My co-workers were very dependable. The hardest part of the job was getting underway for deployments and the most enjoyable part was traveling
Excellent rewards and Life
US Navy Hospital Corpsman (Current Employee), San Diego, CaNovember 11, 2014
As a hospital corpsman my career has been very rewarding I have been given the opportunity to have a very diverse career. I have worked with Marines and have been forward deployed in combative regions in the world and have been able to call myself a combat corpsman. I have been in hospital settings clinics, hospitals, and have worked in almost every – more... department in those facilities. The job has been very rewarding and I have learned so much in that setting. I have served onboard Naval Warships and have learned what it means to be challenged on a daily basis. I can and will be able to adapt and overcome any challenge that I face I would recommend any civilian to join the Navy and serve their country. – less
The best alot learned, and discipline
Gas Turbine Mechanic (Former Employee), Everett, WANovember 11, 2014
Responsible for the operation and maintenance of the Gas Turbine Engines (GTE) and gas turbine generators
Reduction gears, and associated equipment (such as pumps, valves, oil purifiers, heat exchangers, shafts, and shaft bearings)
Keep a constant supply of materials needed, process orders, answer phones
Record keeping, LM2500 (FFG engine) parts, to – more... keep record of parts ordered and replaced
Customer service, Write work orders, and Tag in/out equipment – less
Team of Professionals
Maintenance Department Head and COR (Current Employee), Fallon, NVNovember 11, 2014
Pros: teamwork, professionalism, challenging
Cons: government funding
Excellent work environment! Management and daily interaction with this team of professionals made the job both enjoyable and provided a feeling of accomplishment. As Contracting Officer Representative (COR), some days were challenging to maintain high morale and government compliance.
hard work long hours
E2 Aviation Technician (Former Employee), virginia beachNovember 11, 2014
Pros: free healthcare
Cons: short breaks long hours and lots of restrictions
not always the best leadership they are usually looking out for themselves and don't care if your sick or hurt unless you go get every little thing documented and i d not like that
Ability to see different cultures around the world.
Cryptologic Technician (Maintenance) (Former Employee), San Diego, CANovember 11, 2014
A typical day would be conducting preventative, corrective or scheduled maintenance. Learning how to use various types of testing equipment. All co-workers came together as one unit to ensure all jobs, maintenance and duties were completed for the day or week. Hardest part of the job was being away from family for so long. Most enjoyable part of the – more... job was a sense of accomplishment when I needed to trouble shoot and fix any problems related to the system I maintained. – less
no such thing as a typical day in the navy
Electronic Technician Lead (STS2) (Former Employee), Bangor, WashingtonNovember 11, 2014
Pros: best benefits you can get
Cons: lack of freedom
some days are spent training, others are spent working on various electronic equipment.
I learned so much! I by the time I left, I was the tech expert, training others how to be a sonar technician, often collaborated with the foreman on what the best way to go about do a job would be. For example: one of out servers had crashed and after exhausting – more... all troubleshooting procedures the server still would not work. The foreman (chief, for those who understand navy), had given up and decided to call contractors to fix it for us. I laid out a plan as to how I would complete my own, more detailed, troubleshooting process. He liked it and let me go at it. I found what the problem was, a port on one of the servers had gone bad, luckily there was another port that I could use. switched ports and the system booted up fine.
Another example: a switch had gone bad on a legacy piece of equipment (fathometer), the replacement of this switch was not covered by any procedure, so I wrote one. It passed all checks and is in use today onboard the USS Alabama SSBN 731.
Anytime there was an issue that nobody could figure out, and I mean anyone in any electronics field, they would seek me out and pick my brain. I became the system expert of many systems, a few of which did not belong to my division (workgroup/shop), simply because nobody else could figure it out.
I have a natural ability to figure things out, where training may lack, I make up in my intuitive nature.
I work very well with others, I love to workload share when allowed. I have miles and miles of patience (part of why I am good at figuring things out).
Management, was ok, you can imagine how they are in the military, I now have extremely thick skin.
loved every one of my co-workers, some people need more help than others, im known as the glue that keeps everyone together. When I first got to my last boat, there was a lot of drama in my division, as well as people who hated being in this state. I brought everyone together by taking them out camping in the Olympic mountains, they loved it so much, we all became quick friends and all of them have stayed in Washington or moved back to Washington.
Hardest part of the job, I gave up my freedoms to be in the military, they rule every aspect of you life inside and out. Also, being away from my family in an isolated environment for months at a time.
The most enjoyable part of my job is the coolest part of my job is the things I did and cant talk about. not to mention, I worked on a submarine, how cool is that!? Not to toot my own horn, I really think that was quite enjoyable to see my boat in dry-dock and think about how I take that thing deep under the water. They trust ME to guide them safely to their destinations.
Nice to be a free man though. – less
Its the military
Electronics Technician (Former Employee), Great lakesNovember 10, 2014
Waking up at 0600 every morning to stand watch along with fixing broken equipment on the command deck. I learned plenty of things while doing my tour of duty. Management does not listen nor try to help out in the slightest. Co-workers at times could be less helpful than the management. Hardest part about the job was everything. The travel was the enjoyable – more... part. – less
Productive and fast paced
Aviation Structural Mechanic (Former Employee), Pensacola, FLNovember 10, 2014
Pros: travel all over the world
I had a great experience meeting people from all over and going to different countries.
Great Comradery
Steel Worker/Construction (Former Employee), Port Hueneme, CANovember 10, 2014
Pros: benefits
Cons: wasn't able to advance in pay grade
I was a welder, but also did some minor carpentry, electrical, plumbing, mechanic and machine operation. Knowledgeable with power tools. Hardest part was being away from family for long periods of time, as well as deployments. Enjoyed the classes that were given pertaining to my job as a welder.
Great Job
En2 Main Machinery Room Superviser (Former Employee), little Creek VaNovember 10, 2014
Pros: great benifits
Cons: tours to long
Spent to Much time away from my family. The work was very demanding and at times days ran together. Had a lot of fun over seas and the people I worked for and with were great
Harder than it looks
Recruiter/Trainer (Former Employee), Kansas City, MONovember 10, 2014
Pros: good pay and benefits, meet very interesting people
Cons: may talk to over fifty people to find one who is interested in the navy.
A typical day might include talking to over fifty people, wearing a bright white uniform, calming parents down, helping new recruits understand there is nothing to fear at basic training then running 2 miles and doing plenty of pushups.
Aviation Boswainsmate Fuel (Former Employee), Norfolk, VANovember 10, 2014
Pros: good pay, excellent health care
Cons: not enough family time
If you need/ want structure the US Navy is for you. You can learn a lot, travel the world and meet diverse peoples.

About U.S. Navy

The US Navy maintains a variety of military equipment like ballistic missile submarines, aircraft carriers, surface warships, – Read more