U.S. Navy Employee Reviews

Good Place to Use as Stepping Stone for future
Aviation Ordnanceman (Current Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VANovember 18, 2017
Overall, I like the Navy.It is pretty fair and it's nice that you get a lot of different exposure and experiences. I would recommend to someone right out of high school or someone looking to advance their life but are indecisive or stuck in a rut. Enlisted is good, Officers get paid great money and benefits so I suggest going that route.
Recomended
Aircraft Mechanic Egress/Environmental E-5 (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLNovember 17, 2017
I would tell anyone to go into the Navy it is all that and makes you a productive worker, young men and woman get so much out of enlisting I am very proud to serve for the US Navy.
Pros
Great
I had a great time in the US Navy
Chief Petty Officer (E-7) (Former Employee) –  United StatesNovember 17, 2017
Great time in the Navy.
Adventurous and fulfilling
Outstanding Management, Peers, and Subordinates
Being away from family on Deployment was the hardest Part.
Accomplishments were the most enjoyable part of the job.
Machinist Mate (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VANovember 17, 2017
do what your told make the right moves get advancement. travel see the world get paid to do and have fun doing it. Meet some friends for life. The life can be how you want it. retire at a young age and live the dream.
Pros
early retirment
stressful and busy
Aviation Maintenance Administration (Former Employee) –  Oak Harbor, WANovember 17, 2017
A lot of work hours that don't necessarily end at your shift. There's duty and watches to stand. Also the work that doesn't pertain to your rate that you have to do.
Pros
Health
Cons
stress and long hours
Various
Medical & Dental Clinic Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Twentynine Palms, CANovember 17, 2017
Varies... I would very much recommend the service to young people who do not have a direction in life. Great way to develop work ethics and employment skills.
Maybe I'll return
Boatswain's Mate Third Class (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VANovember 17, 2017
The Navy was a very good time for me, being young and full of steam I loved the fast paced and culture of the military.
I did not enjoy being away from home or the chain of command that can sometimes be used to ruin a good persons career for petty reasons.
No regrets ever being a part of the United States Navy
Hull Maintenance Technician (Former Employee) –  Alameda, CANovember 17, 2017
Serving in the United States Navy is one of the proudest accomplishments of my life. I learned confidence and I accomplished things that I would have never thought I could do.

I learned how to weld, fight fires, fabricate sheet metal.

I traveled all over the world.

I am proud to be a veteran of the United States Navy. I would serve our country again, any time. It was my pleasure.
Pros
Pride, Lifetime friendships, learned skills valuable in the civilian world
Cons
A great deal of work and significant sacrifice for very little pay
Active Duty onboard Navy vessel
Electronics Technician, Submarines (Former Employee) –  Pearl Harbor Naval Station, HINovember 17, 2017
Challenging, fast-paced and opportunity for technical training and travel. Limited communication due to confidential nature of work and vessel. In port routine consisted of withstanding and maintenance.
Pros
stability
Cons
schedule
Loved the job
electrician (Former Employee) –  Great Lakes, ILNovember 17, 2017
A typical day in the navy was exciting and fun filled. Depending on your job title. I only left because i had a family and was missing events at home.
Pros
Benefits training
Cons
time away from home
Productive work place with great people
Aviation Launch and Recovery (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VANovember 17, 2017
A typical day include working together with your shipmates as a team to accomplish any task. I learned that unity is a very important thing to do great work. The management was up and down but all of them imbedded hard work in our heads and set that culture. The hardest part of the job was to get used to the physically demanding task that was presented at first. The most enjoyable part of the job was working with your friends.
Pros
Traveling around the world.
Cons
Long tiring work hours
Went in at 17 to better mature myself
aviation ordnanceman (Former Employee) –  Naval Air Station Lemoore, CANovember 17, 2017
Best thing I ever did .Got to go and seeplaces I would never get to do as a civilian. Made me a responsible person and gave me self respect which I lacked as a youth.
Pros
travel
Cons
long hours and asa ordananceman a sometimes dangerous job
Amazing place to learn new skills and meet new people.
Navy (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 17, 2017
A typical day was.. well it was bootcamp so it was early mornings and learning as much as you could throughout the day until taps.
I learned so many things its impossible to list.
Management was amazing and fair
workplace culture was good among everyone, everyone is there to learn and grow.
Hardest part is pulling poor watch times and still getting through the next day.
Most enjoyable part of the day would be learning some new things everyday and growing as a person.
Pros
Free food and place to sleep.
United States Navy Reserves
Data Entry Task/ Fuels Assistant. (Former Employee) –  Ingleside Naval Station, TXNovember 17, 2017
Competitive, Defending Country, Hazardous. Was my most memorable, Career. Awesome Team on United States Inchon. Also assisted in Patient Administration, department as General Office Clerk.
Pros
Benefits, College, Training, Travel, Business, Teamwork/Family.
Cons
Deployments/Missing Family.
Not for everyone
Petty Officer (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MONovember 17, 2017
The USN is a great way to learn about yourself and get invaluable training and on the job experience. Management skills are learned throughout your career. I can't really tell you what a typical day is, because every job is different, sometimes even if you have the same job title.
Pros
Great resume bullet points, training and leadership experience.
Cons
Long hours away from home.
Life sucking and boring
Electrical Technician Nuclear (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CANovember 17, 2017
hardest part is waiting around doing nothing
poor culture
typical day is waiting for the experiment someone high ranking was to throw out then scrambling to make it happen with little to no instruction
Good
Licensed Practical Nurse 22yrs (Former Employee) –  Portsmouth, VANovember 17, 2017
Was all of the military and civillian staff made it into work. I learned so much as anlpn that it prepared me for my rn. Management in a military faility was geered towards the military not the civillians. Multicultural based on rank. The hardest part of the job was having the ranking officers take 1 patent to the civillians taking twice as many.The most joyable part of the job was wrking with the fellow professionals
Pros
Close to home, A lot of experience offered
Cons
A lot of the hard work fell on the civillians
A place with poor leadership but great benefits
Avionics Technician (Former Employee) –  Kaneohe HawaiiNovember 16, 2017
What a great opportunity to travel the world and receive great benefits. There are many unique opportunities like working on planes or seeing the top deck of a carrier but know what you're getting yourself into before you start complaining because the job is stressful and requires a lot of your time so don't join if you expect to get a free ride through life.
Pros
See other countries, great benefits, unique opportunities
Cons
Stressful, long work hours, poor leadership
Great military branch
Facilities Specialist (Former Employee) –  Provincia di Napoli, CampaniaNovember 16, 2017
Fast pace environment working hard to defend our freedom. I wouldn't change it for anything. Got to see a bunch of the world, met a lot of great people that will impact your life.
Pros
Traveling, benefits
Cons
Lack of sleep, pay
Diverse culture
Electronics Technician (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CANovember 16, 2017
The Navy is not for everybody. You have to be ready to leave and go places you may not feel comfortable in. However, you are also able to see parts of the world you wouldn't have been able to otherwise; and get paid to be there.
Pros
World travel
Cons
Long working hours sometimes

Ask a question about working or interviewing at U.S. Navy. Our community is ready to answer.

4.4