U.S. Navy
10,784 reviews

U.S. Navy Employee Reviews

Recommended
(NCDOC) IT/Cyber Security (Former Employee), Suffolk, VAJune 30, 2015
Pros: Training, school, experience.
Cons: Schedule
Awesome place to work. I was able to get good training, experience, and certifications that will help me advance in my field.
quality life with good benefits
supervisor airframes mechanic (Current Employee), Tinker AFB, Ok, 73145June 30, 2015
enjoyed all the info learned and skills attained. had great co workers. management pushed me to better myself on a regular basis which is just what I needed. of course military has great benefits.
US Navy is a fantastic Career
Chief Petty Officer (Former Employee), Various locationsJune 30, 2015
Pros: Great benefits, working with awesome Chief Petty Officers
Cons: Lack of management training
I joined when I was 20 and retired at 43 years old. I joined not knowing anything about the HR field and retired as a Command Chief of a US Naval Reserve Unit that was out of Naval Air Station Atlanta, Ga.

Having nothing bad to say about the military.
Working on jet engines
Jet Mechanic (Former Employee), Lemoore CA and Rota SpainJune 30, 2015
Pros: 30 days paid vacation, free meals, free place to live.
Cons: Working odd hours when your used to day hours.
I worked on the jet engines that would go on the aircraft. I also worked a few months with the military police. This is where I learned how to do my job fast but accurately, and where I learned how to pay attention to the minute details to make sure everything was done correctly. I also learned to be disciplined in making sure I got to work on time and on the days I was scheduled for. Management was – more... good to me in helping me learn everything I needed to make sure things were done the right way. My co-workers were easy to get along with and I found it interesting to learn about their various backgrounds. The hardest part of the job was lifting the heavier items. The most enjoyable part was putting the engines together the correct way and then watch them get put on the aircraft, knowing the pilots would be safe when doing their missions. – less
Great career path
Damage Controlman (Former Employee), Norfolk, VAJune 30, 2015
Great career opportunity, with benefits and travel!
• Conducted shipboard firefighting; flooding prevention and containment; chemical, biological, radiological, and nuclear defense.
• Performed procedures for extinguishing class A, B, C, and D fires.
• Numerous hours dedicated to changing various advanced pumps and valves/piping.
• Repaired and replaced various firefighting systems (Halon, AFFF, CO2, and APC).
• Successful in rebuilding mechanical pumps, completing ships weekly maintenance.
really exciting
base security (Former Employee), Honolulu, HIJune 30, 2015
i love working there, the job, the co workers, everthing about it was exciting. my day to day was great pt in the morning then my shift would start after.
Overpaid Janitor
Aviation Ordnanceman (Former Employee), Navy, VAJune 29, 2015
I spent 4 years basically as a janitor, it is easy money, but it is not worth all the of the headache. I would not do it again if I had to.
Rewarding job while serving my country
Second Class Personnelman Specialist (Current Employee), Tucson, AZJune 29, 2015
Pros: Camaraderie
Cons: Being away from family during training but part of my commitment
Updating reports, pay, records and complete training for mobilization and deployments.
Prepare for weekend and annual training. Furthermore, prepare for testing for advancement and support our junior troops.
I loved working for them
Aviation Boatswain's Mate (Former Employee), Greece, NYJune 29, 2015
I was there for a long period of time it was my first job. I started when I was 15 and the reason I left was I graduated and went into the Navy.
Great Experience
Third Class Petty Officer/Culinary Specialist (Former Employee), Norfolk, VAJune 29, 2015
The traveling was great, the benefits are awesome, the hardest part is dealing with people who were consistently angry and being away from home for periods at a time
Lots of room for growth, and protect our country at the same time.
Turbine Engine Technician/Shift Manager (Current Employee), San Diego, CAJune 29, 2015
After 7 years in the military, which was a great experience in general, I decided it was time to move on. It was great to be able to travel to different countries like Malta, Dubai, Korea, and the other great places. Advancement all depended on how hard I worked for it, and studied and applied myself.
My Career
Administrative Assistance/Policeman (Former Employee), Shreveport, LAJune 29, 2015
Pros: I traveled all over the wolrd.
Cons: I didn't get a chance to do 20 years.
I loved the US navy. I was making it my career until I was medically discharged. The US navy was the best job that I ever had.
United States Navy
Laboratory Technician (Current Employee), Beaufort, SCJune 29, 2015
Pros: Benefits and education
Cons: Time away from family and restrictions to individuality
A typical day in the Navy begins with arriving to work at least 15 minutes early. We muster and find out what the game plan is for the day and where we are assigned, and any requirements to be taken care of. I learned to professionalism, time management, customer service, critical thinking, how to lead and how to follow. Management was mostly efficient. There are several different styles and I believe – more... I experienced them all. Co-workers were more like family. We have to be able to help where there's a shortage in order to make the environment flexible and manageable for us all. The hardest part of the job would be the long hours away from my children at times. The most enjoyable part of the job is that you are constantly learning new things and experiencing different things with different people. The Navy is very diverse and you have the opportunity to get to know people from many cultures. – less
work but have no life til the bar
US Navy Boatswains mate (Former Employee), Great Lakes, ILJune 28, 2015
Pros: well paid no thinking just doing
Cons: no life just work
daily scheduled of can you hack it in our world;
wake
bar or explore
sleep work
Great World Experience
Boatswain' s Mates (BM) (Former Employee), Mayport, FLJune 28, 2015
Pros: Developement and Growth, Good first step out of school
Cons: recruiters are lyers, do your own research
All branches of our military offer a great foundation for men and women right out of HS, however if you can go to college first and go in as an Officer.. even better.

The ability to travel the world, save money, and get a free education trump any opportunities you will find in the street.
A great life experience
Intelligence Specialist Second Class (Current Employee), Great Lakes, ILJune 28, 2015
A difficult at times job, but it is a by far rewarding opportunity to serve in the US Navy. It has granted me the chance to better myself as a leader and to see many new places and people.
Great pace to work
Operation Specialist (Former Employee), San Diego, CAJune 28, 2015
Pros: Free lunch, paid breaks
Cons: none
However at the time that the company closed that really put a damper on all of the employees. That job was great the people the was great and the bonuses was great as well.Hard work and diligence gets you places in a company like that.
Extremely Work Driven Program
Engineering Laboratory Technician (Former Employee), Goose Creek, SCJune 28, 2015
A typical day in the US Navy can have you working anywhere from 8 to 24 hours straight, with the possibility of your shift starting at any time of the day or night. I learned to manage big groups of people, work in industrial settings, critical thinking and trend analysis.
Ensuring both CIWS and personnel were ready if called upon
(CIWS) - Work Center Supervisor (Former Employee), IL,,CA, Republic of the Phillipines, RIJune 28, 2015
Pros: just the atmosphere of your surroundings
USNavy was a very rewarding career. Serving your country is the greatest. My experiences, some not so good but for the most part great, cannot be expressed in a review with limited room. What I gained thru the training and people I served with was most rewarding.
Get what you need and get out.
Yeoman / Avionics Technician (Former Employee), Jacksonville, FLJune 28, 2015
Pros: Benefits.
Cons: Live to work not work to live, Idiots in management, too many rules.
The US navy is NOT for everyone. I had a positive experience overall, a lot of lessons a lot of growth, but if I had to do it all over again I wouldn't have enlisted.

About U.S. Navy

Imagine working with the most awe-inspiring equipment and technology the world has ever seen. Making your living as a rescue swimmer – Read more

U.S. Navy Salaries