U.S. Navy
9,032 reviews

U.S. Navy Employer Reviews

good eexperience as militar
Assigned as Patrol Officer (Former Employee), Puerto RicoJanuary 20, 2015
Pros: mililtary benefits
Cons: long working shifts
Good experience been part of the Navy most of the time as a reservist, my position was a law enforcement officer and sometimes police officer work harder and in long shifts periods .
US Navy most amazing time of my life
Petty Officer 3rd Class (Former Employee), San Diego, CAJanuary 20, 2015
Pros: great advancement
I loved the military it taught me to be strong, dependable, and deal with high risk situations in emergency first aid
Excellent understanding supervisor allowing me to telecommute
General/Ocean Engineer (Current Employee), Washington, DCJanuary 20, 2015
Very unique position, not a lot of people doing this type of job. This position has provided me the opportunity to become familiar with many aspects of underwater construction including dredging and hydrographic surveying. I also have been exposed to project management including earned value management, preparing and executing contracts.
productive work place
General Duty Hospital Corpsman (Former Employee), Portsmouth, VAJanuary 20, 2015
worked several shifts to include 0700 to 1900, 000 to 1600, 1100 to 2000, 2300 to 0700, 1900 to 0700, and 1400 to 2300.

learned customer service skills, patient care, and basic laboratory procedures.
Fun and interesting workplace. Always changing
Manager, Network installer/sysadmin, trainer, EO, (Current Employee), Japan, Fort Meade Md, Bahrain, UK, Norfolk VaJanuary 19, 2015
Pros: advancement and travel opportunities
Cons: micromanagement
Loved my time in the Navy. Served in the US, overseas and onboard several ships. The job was always new, and moving every 3 years allowed me to keep learning and not stagnate.
High Paced and Prestige
Noncommissioned Officer in Charge (Former Employee), Wahiawā, HIJanuary 19, 2015
The Navy gave me the tools for what I need in the real world. I went in with little confidence and came out on top. I advanced normally. My co-workers were from all walks of life originally, but I felt like I was a part of team. I felt like I belonged to something greater than myself. Serving my country was the best thing I've done yet.
demanding yet rewarding
Fire Controlman (Former Employee), Dahlgren, VAJanuary 19, 2015
learned vast knowledge in electronics including radar and weapons systems. military chain of command is the most organized and best form of management I have seen from any employer. co-workers are always supportive and always looking out.
Deployments to Guam and Afghanistan
Leading Petty Office (Current Employee), Gulfport, MSJanuary 19, 2015
Pros: working with army, navy, airforce, and marines
Cons: 14-18 hour days
Typical day- There were not any typical days.

Not authorized to talk about Deployments.

US Navy has been an outstanding Career.
Great place to learn how to grow up. The hard way.
Electrician's Mate Petty Officer 3rd Class (Former Employee), San Diego, CAJanuary 19, 2015
The navy is not for everyone. barely get any sleep, always around dangerous equipment, chemicals, JETS... it's a crazy place, nothing like the outside world.
deployment was rough
Seaman (Former Employee), Norfolk, VAJanuary 19, 2015
Pros: benifits
Cons: deployments
Being in the military can be rough at times especially deployments away from family and friends. Deployments can be long and hard on families. In fact some families fall apart due to a deployment.
However being in the military you are apart of something that is larger than just being in a job. Its a whole way of life that changes you. From the clothes you wear to the words you speak, heck even the way you do things like folding and ironing. Its an experience that some people chose to do for their whole lives.
A job that tests the limits of one's adaptability
Logistics Specialist Second Class (Former Employee), Lemoore, CAJanuary 19, 2015
Pros: great benefits
Cons: unbalanced hours, commands are not standardized in policy
The US Navy is not for everyone. It provides great benefits and unmatched type of work experience. It tests one's level of adaptability in a very wide range of responsibilities that are outside of one's specialty. This engages personnel in a way no tehr job will outside of the organization. The positive benefits of this is acquiring a high level efficiency when it comes to multi-tasking even during crucial times of the month. The negative aspect is that it can drain someone both mentally and physically very quickly.

All in all, it is a great job for those who can look past the politics and continue doing his/her responsibilities. Co-workers depend on which command you are stationed in and can be either good or bad. It is how one adapts to the culture of their current work place that affects how they ultimately feel in it.

The most difficult part of the job is following orders from someone who knows less and have assigned taskes that hinder efficiency or daily work. Though it is part of one's duty to follow orders from those appointed over him/her, it is difficult to be frustrated when the orders run counter to work efficiency. The balance comes from the enjoyable part in which you are exposed to different work cultures and different people, making you a more diverse customer relations specialist.
Challenging and fun adventure!
LIEUTENANT COMMANDER (Current Employee), Jacksonville, FLJanuary 19, 2015
Pros: job stability
Cons: time away from family and friends.
Strategic planning of Military Sealift Command vessels deployed to the FOURTH Fleet Area of Operations.

Liaison Officer coordinating safety, logistics and operations for all MSC ships.
Challenging and rewarding
Master at arms Third Class (Former Employee), NAS Lemoore, CAJanuary 19, 2015
Pros: job security
Cons: not very family friendly
Enjoyed being part of the US Navy. I was taught a lot of new things and were able to use them in my life.
Amazing Organization To Be A Part Of
NUCLEAR ELECTRICIAN/E-7 (Former Employee), Norfolk, VAJanuary 19, 2015
There is no such thing as a typical day in the Navy. Everyday was a different challenge and learning experience. I worked with some amazing people. The most enjoyable part was being exposed to all the different people and cultures.
productive and fun place to work
Human Resources Manager (Former Employee), San Diego, CAJanuary 19, 2015
Hard work lots of employees and fun work as you get to travel the world
A GREAT EXPERIENCE
DECK DEPARTMENT SUPERVISOR (Former Employee), Norfolk, VAJanuary 18, 2015
Pros: travel; food; experience;
It was truly something that i never wanted to leave...the United States Navy...I miss the traveling...I miss the foreign countries and meeting new people. All I can say is I will Always Love the United States Navy!!!!
Productive learning
Machinist Mate (Former Employee), Bangor, WAJanuary 18, 2015
Pros: great pay and benefits
Cons: worked way to much for what i was getting payed
A typical day at work started at 530 in the morning and usually ended around 4 to 6, depending on the work load. Very stress full environment.
Had a Different Experience
Recruit (Former Employee), Great Lakes, ILJanuary 18, 2015
Since I was medically discharged after 3 months of active duty my experience is different from most other recruits. Unfortunately I never got past boot camp because of a serious shoulder injury I sustained on duty that led to me being medically discharged. I was only a recruit during my time there so I never got to see the real Navy that I was hoping for.
Great training provided by the navy
Master at Arms (Current Employee), Little Rock, ARJanuary 17, 2015
Depending on the higher ups we spend the day training to be military police. So that if we are to be deployed we can just pick up from our training be able to handle situations in military matters.
US Navy
Human Resource Mgr, Req Analyst, Tech Writer (Former Employee), Virginia Beach, VirginiaJanuary 17, 2015
Pros: diversity in the workforce
Cons: a lot of regulations to work through
Typical day in the Navy begins with physical fitness activities followed by daily meetings. My co-workers and subordinates were engaged with daily tasks and reported to me at the end of the week on progress of tasks and percentage complete of each task. Toward the end of my Navy career I was involved in work activities at the strategic level. The hardest part about my job was using technology in the military environment to complete tasks. This was due to many restrictions applied to the military intranet that prohibited using the latest operating software available on the market to mass aggregate information to manage assets and people. The most enjoyable part about my job was subordinate development, writing award and promotion recommendations,and aiding poor performers out of the military.

Ross Garcia

About U.S. Navy

The US Navy maintains a variety of military equipment like ballistic missile submarines, aircraft carriers, surface warships, – Read more