U.S. Navy
9,061 reviews

U.S. Navy Employer Reviews

Hard work
Chief Reactor Watch / Nuclear Mechanical Operator (Current Employee), Coronado, CAJanuary 20, 2015
Only for the individuals that work extremely hard. A tough job that requires alot of hours.
Military Life
PETTY OFFICER THIRD CLASS (Former Employee), Jacksonville, FLJanuary 20, 2015
Joining the military was the best thing I could do, I had a chance to travel the world and experience different cultures and ways of life.
work hard play hard
Operations Specialist (Former Employee), San Diego, CAJanuary 20, 2015
long hours. exhausting deployments. My supervisors were unorganized. My fellow co workers were amazing. I learned a lot of responsibility and time management.
Fun and always changing day
Navy Corpsman (Former Employee), TexasJanuary 20, 2015
Pros: benefits, knowing that you have a check coming in twice a month
Cons: leaving family behind.
A typical day at work starts early with getting ready for the day starting with making sure that your uniform is ready and you look professional everyday. If you are in a leadership position you make have 5 are 20 people under you with questions on everything that goes on at work and in there life. It is a place to grow but the life is not for all some have a hard time adapting to orders from others. The hardest part of the job would be having to leave family behind when deployments come up knowing that they have to take care of everything bye themselves. The most enjoyable is the traveling to see different cultures which give you a different perspective of what you have back at home.
Armed services
Transient Personnel Officer (Former Employee), Silverdale, WAJanuary 20, 2015
The hours really were not bad and being able to see other countries was a huge plus. I would recommend this to anyone looking for a job.
See the world...
Chief Petty Officer (Former Employee), San Diego, CAJanuary 20, 2015
Cons: policy micro-managing, disconnect between senior leadership and juniors, long deployments, advancement opportunities
See the world, but be ready to be treated like the lowest common denominator. Don't expect to get off the ship in port and be able to be treated like an adult. You will be told what you can and cannot wear, what time to be back, where you can and cannot go, stay overnight, eat, and drink.

Advancement opportunities are there to a certain point, but don't expect to be rewarded based upon how hard you work. If there isn't an opening...well you are not going to advance.

Benefits are good although they are changing with budget constraints.
Great experience but not for the faint of heart.
Shipboard Electronics Technician (Radio) (Former Employee), Groton CTJanuary 20, 2015
Pros: good food. great crew. got to see other countries.
Cons: long underways. not being able to see the sun for extended periods of time.
Work days were long but if you got what you needed done in a timely manner then it was an easy life. If something broke that was extremely important then you had a long day ahead of you. Doing a 24 hour day every 4 days was not something everyone wanted to do. But you got through it.
Best branch of the Military
EOD (Former Employee), San Diego, CAJanuary 20, 2015
Hands down the best job. No finer thing than serving our country.
good eexperience as militar
Assigned as Patrol Officer (Former Employee), Puerto RicoJanuary 20, 2015
Pros: mililtary benefits
Cons: long working shifts
Good experience been part of the Navy most of the time as a reservist, my position was a law enforcement officer and sometimes police officer work harder and in long shifts periods .
US Navy most amazing time of my life
Petty Officer 3rd Class (Former Employee), San Diego, CAJanuary 20, 2015
Pros: great advancement
I loved the military it taught me to be strong, dependable, and deal with high risk situations in emergency first aid
Excellent understanding supervisor allowing me to telecommute
General/Ocean Engineer (Current Employee), Washington, DCJanuary 20, 2015
Very unique position, not a lot of people doing this type of job. This position has provided me the opportunity to become familiar with many aspects of underwater construction including dredging and hydrographic surveying. I also have been exposed to project management including earned value management, preparing and executing contracts.
productive work place
General Duty Hospital Corpsman (Former Employee), Portsmouth, VAJanuary 20, 2015
worked several shifts to include 0700 to 1900, 000 to 1600, 1100 to 2000, 2300 to 0700, 1900 to 0700, and 1400 to 2300.

learned customer service skills, patient care, and basic laboratory procedures.
Fun and interesting workplace. Always changing
Manager, Network installer/sysadmin, trainer, EO, (Current Employee), Japan, Fort Meade Md, Bahrain, UK, Norfolk VaJanuary 19, 2015
Pros: advancement and travel opportunities
Cons: micromanagement
Loved my time in the Navy. Served in the US, overseas and onboard several ships. The job was always new, and moving every 3 years allowed me to keep learning and not stagnate.
High Paced and Prestige
Noncommissioned Officer in Charge (Former Employee), Wahiawā, HIJanuary 19, 2015
The Navy gave me the tools for what I need in the real world. I went in with little confidence and came out on top. I advanced normally. My co-workers were from all walks of life originally, but I felt like I was a part of team. I felt like I belonged to something greater than myself. Serving my country was the best thing I've done yet.
demanding yet rewarding
Fire Controlman (Former Employee), Dahlgren, VAJanuary 19, 2015
learned vast knowledge in electronics including radar and weapons systems. military chain of command is the most organized and best form of management I have seen from any employer. co-workers are always supportive and always looking out.
Deployments to Guam and Afghanistan
Leading Petty Office (Current Employee), Gulfport, MSJanuary 19, 2015
Pros: working with army, navy, airforce, and marines
Cons: 14-18 hour days
Typical day- There were not any typical days.

Not authorized to talk about Deployments.

US Navy has been an outstanding Career.
Great place to learn how to grow up. The hard way.
Electrician's Mate Petty Officer 3rd Class (Former Employee), San Diego, CAJanuary 19, 2015
The navy is not for everyone. barely get any sleep, always around dangerous equipment, chemicals, JETS... it's a crazy place, nothing like the outside world.
deployment was rough
Seaman (Former Employee), Norfolk, VAJanuary 19, 2015
Pros: benifits
Cons: deployments
Being in the military can be rough at times especially deployments away from family and friends. Deployments can be long and hard on families. In fact some families fall apart due to a deployment.
However being in the military you are apart of something that is larger than just being in a job. Its a whole way of life that changes you. From the clothes you wear to the words you speak, heck even the way you do things like folding and ironing. Its an experience that some people chose to do for their whole lives.
A job that tests the limits of one's adaptability
Logistics Specialist Second Class (Former Employee), Lemoore, CAJanuary 19, 2015
Pros: great benefits
Cons: unbalanced hours, commands are not standardized in policy
The US Navy is not for everyone. It provides great benefits and unmatched type of work experience. It tests one's level of adaptability in a very wide range of responsibilities that are outside of one's specialty. This engages personnel in a way no tehr job will outside of the organization. The positive benefits of this is acquiring a high level efficiency when it comes to multi-tasking even during crucial times of the month. The negative aspect is that it can drain someone both mentally and physically very quickly.

All in all, it is a great job for those who can look past the politics and continue doing his/her responsibilities. Co-workers depend on which command you are stationed in and can be either good or bad. It is how one adapts to the culture of their current work place that affects how they ultimately feel in it.

The most difficult part of the job is following orders from someone who knows less and have assigned taskes that hinder efficiency or daily work. Though it is part of one's duty to follow orders from those appointed over him/her, it is difficult to be frustrated when the orders run counter to work efficiency. The balance comes from the enjoyable part in which you are exposed to different work cultures and different people, making you a more diverse customer relations specialist.
Challenging and fun adventure!
LIEUTENANT COMMANDER (Current Employee), Jacksonville, FLJanuary 19, 2015
Pros: job stability
Cons: time away from family and friends.
Strategic planning of Military Sealift Command vessels deployed to the FOURTH Fleet Area of Operations.

Liaison Officer coordinating safety, logistics and operations for all MSC ships.

About U.S. Navy

The US Navy maintains a variety of military equipment like ballistic missile submarines, aircraft carriers, surface warships, – Read more