U.S. Navy
8,029 reviews

U.S. Navy Employer Reviews

Great Atmosphere
Hospital Corpsman (Former Employee), North Chicago, ILSeptember 10, 2014
There was stable income and great medical and dental benefits.
Good people
LS3 Logistic Specialist (Former Employee), Norfolk, vaSeptember 10, 2014
I worked about 9 hours a day. I learned many different aspects of the supply field.
Productive and enjoyable work environment
NAVAIR: In-Service Engineer Intern (Former Employee), Jacksonville, FLSeptember 10, 2014
Pros: hometown, rapport, unity
Cons: concurrence, recognition by industry
A typical day at work consisted of managing shop damage reports, manual changes, supporting and conducting engineering investigations in support of our military. I learned about the components and capabilities of each engine system and then proceeded to apply that knowledge to carryout day to day tasks. Management provided support when needed to complete – more... various tasks assigned and provided a detailed individual development plan. My co-workers provided a solid support group and included myself in new processes that I had yet to encounter as an In-service Engineer Intern. The hardest part of the job was understanding the partnership between NAVAIR and the contractors that are associated with the same product. The most enjoyable part of the job was being recognized for accomplishments of completing tasks, such as instituting Interim Rapid Action Changes and completing engineering investigations. – less
Exciting and Challenging
Seaman/Operations Specialist (Current Employee), Norfolk, VASeptember 10, 2014
Pros: benefits!, job security
Cons: deployments, all ways on the call, variable hours
Lots of travel, lots of chances of meeting different kind of people, and a chance to work with a lot of advanced equipment.
Productive and Fulfilling
GS12-2210 Technologies Specialist (Former Employee), Hampton RoadsSeptember 10, 2014
Although I can say anything bad about my journey as a DoD Civilian, as for the financial status of our government and going through the Sequester and Downsizing, I would have rather not been a part of that.
The Navy has given me so much and I love the oportunities it has given me.
CVN Habitability Rehabilitation Project Manager (Current Employee), Portsmouth VASeptember 10, 2014
Pros: life long friendships and the best professional training available.
Cons: time away from family.
The education, benefits and training the navy has given me is second to none. I have grown so much because of my time in and have experienced more than I thought possible. I have traveled the world, worked with incredible people and lead the very best this country has to offer in wartime environments.
Excellent opportunity that has allowed me to excel
Public Affairs Officer (Current Employee), Homestead, FLSeptember 10, 2014
Best opportunity I have been given, but due to the fiscal constraints of our government, reduction in manpower eliminated my position.
My Navy Career
Aviation Boatswain's Mate Equipment and Security (Former Employee), San Diego, CASeptember 10, 2014
Pros: i enjoyed meeting new people
Cons: i didn't get very many breaks and i was always sleep deprived it seemed
On a daily basis cleaned early in the morning which included dusting, swabbing, polishing and disinfect everything. My first fours in the Navy I was trained on the steam catapults system running it during flight hours as well as working on the arresting gear system. I was trained in other areas such as getting qualified to work on the flight deck. Occasionally – more... I worked on the computer and running errands for the higher chain of command. I easily worked at least 16 hours or more during our deployments out to sea.
We were constantly being trained in CPR as well as being a fire man.
The last four years of the Navy I went through a two week security class to become qualified to work in the security department. We went to Camp Pendleton to get all our gun qualifications as well as doing gun shoots on the elevator of an aircraft carrier. I worked around 12 hours everyday standing my post. Every week we were trained on gun qualifications as well as working security equipment and how to apprehend when needed. – less
Productive on the go work environment
Aviation Maintenance Administrationman (AZ) (Current Employee), Oak Harbor, WASeptember 9, 2014
Pros: travel, recognition, insurance, benefits
Cons: working hours and requirements, stress
A typical day at work invovles troubleshooting operating system and workstations and miscellaneous eletrical components within workspace. Assisting the person in charge with anything electrical. Managing a shift worth of personnel and work.
Coworkers come from every section of society and environment and very was able to meet a diverse range of personnel.
Most – more... enjoyably part of the job is the satisfaction of seeing junior personnel advance through training and definitely the travel. – less
Navy work environment
Lead Intelligence Analyst (Current Employee), San Diego, CA.September 9, 2014
With over 10 years of service, the Navy has been good, but now it is time to move on. The pay does not equal that of the same position in the private sector. The private sector pays double the salary for the same job and less "hats" to wear.
Cook
Culinary Specialist (Former Employee), San Diego, CASeptember 9, 2014
Pros: great health care
Cons: out to sea deployment
Cook for a crew aboard the USS Nimitz Cook for a crew aboard the USS Nimitz Cook for a crew aboard the USS Nimitz Cook for a crew aboard the USS Nimitz
License Examiner (Former Employee), Gulfport, MSSeptember 9, 2014
The Navy was great just wish I never decided to get off of active duty
good experiance
Yeoman (Former Employee), CaliforniaSeptember 9, 2014
I really grew a lot in those years. I wish now I had stayed in. But such is life.. we live and learn
Great for high school grads
Aircraft Structural Mechanic (Former Employee), Norfolk, VASeptember 9, 2014
If you just got out of high school its a great way to get into the work force is to join the military. it gives you time and resources to figure out what you want to do with your life.
Busy Labor and Delivery Unit
Registered Nurse- Labor and Delivery (Former Employee), San Diego, CASeptember 9, 2014
Worked night shift as charge nurse on busy labor and delivery unit
submarines
Submarine Sonar Technician Instructor (Former Employee), San Diego, CASeptember 8, 2014
submarines go under the water, that is all................................................................
US military
Petty Officer ABH (Former Employee), Norfolk, VASeptember 8, 2014
A typical day at work was long, but very rewarding.
I learned how to be confident in life.
My co-workers had my back in all that I did.
Hardest part of the job was being away from family and friends at extended amounts of time.
The Navy
CTR "C" School Instructor (Current Employee), Pensacola, FLSeptember 8, 2014
The military is not for everyone but the navy is a very easy job in general.
Aviation Electricins Mate
Aviation Electricians Mate (Former Employee), Kāne‘ohe Bay, HISeptember 8, 2014
Hooooyaaahhh!!!!
Loved the Navy, its a good ole boy system though so make sure you get qualified and manage your own advancement opportunities. The people who get capped usually aren't very deserving.
Office Administrator
Assisting military personnel (Former Employee), Camp Lejeune, NCSeptember 8, 2014
I work in the chaplain office and I love it. I was train in the military as an administration personnel. So my admin skills is great. There was always task daily that keep me busy and I enjoyed. I was also train in local security, small arms and the supply field.

About U.S. Navy

The US Navy maintains a variety of military equipment like ballistic missile submarines, aircraft carriers, surface warships, – Read more