U.S. Navy
10,403 reviews

U.S. Navy Employee Reviews

Its the military
Training (Current Employee), Seattle, waMay 19, 2015
Pros: medical, dental
Cons: long stretches away from family
You have to take the good with the bad. Deployments, people who cant lead a fish to water, but the benefits are great. The way things are run now have declined steadily over the years.
High Work tempo
Manager (Former Employee), Norfolk,VAMay 19, 2015
Pros: Paid leave, Medical and dental coverage for self and spouse.
Cons: Long hours and extended time away from family extremely high work tempo.
Typical day at work consisted of morning meetings,Scheduled Maintenance.Review days plan. Conduct or attend training.
Hardest part of job was being deployed away from family for long periods of time. The most enjoyable part of job is visiting ports in other countries..
Extremely driven program
Engineering Laboratory Technician (Former Employee), Charleston, SCMay 19, 2015
Pros: Respect, and Comradery
Cons: Oppressively long hours (80-100 hr/wk)
The United States Naval Nuclear Program is a top notch educational setting, with emphasis on learning fast and applying what you learned to the big picture. You learn to process information quickly and adapt to changes.
Reliable, friendly and a team player
Admissions Clerk (Current Employee), Jacksonville FLMay 19, 2015
I try to get to work earlier than scheduled so that I can get a proper turn over from the off going shift. I designate assignments to my co-workers, complete daily task required of me as a Lead Clerk. As for the rest of the day we concur each task as a team as they come about. I cannot name a hard part of my day as I enjoy what I do. The most enjoyable part of my day is meeting and socializing with the patients.
The experience is what you make of it
Hospital Corpsman (Former Employee), Virginia, California, Illinois, Tennessee, SpainMay 19, 2015
Pros: Education, travel, Leadership, Benefits
Cons: Spending months at a time away from family
There are many different types of jobs that you can do in the Navy,of which many have an equivalent in the civilian job market. There are many opportunities for education and training. There is the opportunity to travel the world and go to places you would have never thought of going. There is a great culture and people from all walks of life work together to get the job done.
The military isn't for everyone, but it's got soemthign for everyone who's in it.
LPO / Leading Petty Officer (Former Employee), San Diego, CAMay 19, 2015
Pros: Guaranteed pay checks, 30-days of paid leave a year, medical and dental, travel, and lots of other benefits.
Cons: People, long hours, being too PC, time away from home, cliques, etc.
There's really no such thing as a typical day in the Navy. It varies which can be both a blessing and a curse. There are predictable moments, but if you do your own footwork and research, the Navy can be a good place to start.

I learned a lot over my 20-years in. I learned what makes me tick, how to think for myself and on my own which may be counterproductive in the military. You also learn what sort of person you want to be since you're suddenly thrown into the arena with people from all over the planet. There are bad leaders, there are unjust laws and regulations, and if you play by the Navy's rules, you'll more than likely succeed.

The most important part of my job was that I got to be stationed in CA for my entire Navy career. Granted I got to travel a lot in the Navy, but I always got to call CA home. I also got to attend some really good schools while being active duty. That's something I'll always remember and look back on fondly.
challenging, yet rewarding, competitive
Corpsman (Former Employee), Bremerton, WAMay 19, 2015
Pros: learned to multitask and push my limits
Cons: extended work hours and possibility of deployment
A typical day a work was, getting training requirements up to date, correspondence with the Naval Hospital that we where attached to and making sure that incoming new members of our duty station, where familiar with the base and requirements that must be met in order to acclimate to their new jobs. Their where many hardships to the job, as we were not in our positions for long. We had rotations every 3-4 months and that could be triage where I would be doing toe nail removal, vaccinations, suture removal or insertion, EKG's etc...
We where train to acclimate to every situation at a moments notice.
Fun rewarding and exciting
Quartermaster (Former Employee), Jacksonville Fl, Norfolk VirginiaMay 19, 2015
Pros: Travel the world
Quartermasters stand watch as assistants to officers of the deck and the navigator; serve as helmsman and perform ship control, navigation and bridge watch duties.
leah laura
Surgical Technologist, Main (Former Employee), Portsmouth, VAMay 19, 2015
I served eight honorable years in the navy and enjoyed every aspect of it. It taught me teamwork, dedication, self esteem. I was a surgical technologist for 5 years. I was able to further my education with the help of the military
Advancement opportunity Available
Cryptologic Technician Collection (CTR2) (Current Employee), Great Lakes, ILMay 19, 2015
IF you want to travel the world for free, this is the way to do it. With plenty of advancement opportunities available, you would not want to miss out on this opportunity.
awesome
Electronics Technician and Workcenter Supervisor (Former Employee), norfolk virginiaMay 19, 2015
it was an amazing adventure at all times I am glad I enlisted and got to do the things i did.. i was able to get a good education and learn so much and travel the world
Saw the world
Avionics Technician, Petty Officer, 2nd Class (Former Employee), Jacksonville, FLMay 19, 2015
Pros: Fanastic libeerty
Cons: Weekend Duties
It was the military. It wasn't all fun; but I made it work by making it the best time possible. You learn responsibility and discipline.
Exciting and cutting edge industry
Hospital Corpsman (Former Employee), Jacksonville North CarolinaMay 19, 2015
It was a great place for growth and development as an individual. Deployments were not the highlight of my time there. But it's expected and part of the job.
Overall very busy work environment, with little time for rest.
Firefighter (Former Employee), Honolulu, HIMay 18, 2015
Pros: Great benefits, retirement, dental and housing allowance.
Cons: Always being away from home, sometimes months at a time.
Typical work day ranged anywhere from 13 to 17 hours per day. I learned a lot about time management and how to work with others in stressful and highly demanding circumstances. I also learned a great deal about safety procedures and the hard work of labor. The most enjoyable part was being in the middle of the ocean performing task that others back in the US couldn't dream of. The hardest part of the was the physical demand and the hours, but it was well worth it.
Outstanding motivating job
Administration Clerk (Former Employee), Mayport, FLMay 18, 2015
Pros: Traveling the world
Cons: Being away from Family
Maintained all office protocols to ensure that the daily office tasks that were required were done in an orderly proficient manner. I worked with a myriad of different people to make sure that the job got done and the mission was a success...
Learned very valuable skills
Gas Turbine Electrician (Former Employee), Camp Pendelton, CaMay 18, 2015
Preformed preventive maintenance on equipment and preformed leadership roles in assisting younger members to adapt to military life.
awesome training
Aviation Electrician (Former Employee), San Diego CAMay 18, 2015
Pros: training
Cons: pay
Its the Navy. The pay isn't great but the training and the experience are awesome. Where else can an 18 year old work on F-18s?
Intresting and exciting envioronment to wor.
Heavy Equipment Operator (Current Employee), San Antonio, TXMay 18, 2015
Never a dull moment and never know what tomorrow is going to bring. Great opportunity to work with very broad aspect of different cultures and people.
Loved my job
Engineman 2nd class Petty Officer (Former Employee), Norfolk, VAMay 18, 2015
Great choice to serve my country. Learned skills and life lessons i would have never had the chance to without the navy. Ready to use my skills in the out side world.
Outstanding organization
Executive Assistant/Administrative Officer (Former Employee), various locations across the globeMay 18, 2015
Pros: Financial stability
Cons: Away from home alot in 20 years.
Completed over 20 years of service with a great organization. Received my training and I can utilize at work and at my new career in the civilian sector.

About U.S. Navy

Imagine working with the most awe-inspiring equipment and technology the world has ever seen. Making your living as a rescue swimmer – Read more

U.S. Navy Salaries