U.S. Navy
9,075 reviews

U.S. Navy Employer Reviews

Overall steady work paired with unpredicatable shifts, but thats what the military is!
Aviation Electrician Workcenter Supervisor (Former Employee), NAS North Island, CAJanuary 22, 2015
Pros: learning new skills, comraderie
Every day held some new learning experience whether it was a positive or negative experience. I learned how to maintain and troubleshoot all individual electrical, mechanical, and hydroelectric systems of a multimillion dollar aircraft and did so on a daily basis.
It was a fun fast paced environment most of the time. I loved the camaraderie and working in groups to meet a challenging task that seemed impossible. The hardest part was being away from my family that many hours a day or weeks and months at a time.
Excellent Experience
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Oceana, VAJanuary 21, 2015
Pros: benefits
Typical day at work is assisting service members in the office with various needs. I learned teamwork, enhanced my communication skills and learned to be a superior sailor. My superiors were squared away and always encouraging. They were hardworking and made sure that we were also. The hardest part of the job was learning not to work so much. The most enjoyable part of the job was coming into work and knowing that we were making a difference.
one of the most rewarding and challenging things in the world!
Deck Supervisor (Current Employee), San Diego, CAJanuary 21, 2015
Pros: benefits and travel
Cons: working hours can be pretty long and ships food isnt the best
Joining the military was one of the best decisions I've ever made! everyday was a new challenge and a new adventure. there is no typical work day in the Navy and you will learn quickly that teamwork and motivation are a must! The hardest part of the job is having to adjust and learn quickly at a moments notice. The most enjoyable part is definitely seeing the world!
U S Military
Disbursing Clerk/E-4 (Former Employee), San Diego, CAJanuary 21, 2015
Pros: great benefits, free travel, fast pace environment
Cons: long periods of time way from your family, long rotations
I started my career in human resources in the military. I processed payroll for enlisted and offices, processed travel claims for everyone on the ship. I did database management, customer service, research & resolved pay problems, and travel the world.
a rewarding adventure
Hospital Corpsman (Former Employee), Great Lakes, ILJanuary 21, 2015
Pros: learned discipline, leadership, hard work, paid for my education
Cons: duty, contracts for years at a time
Not just a job, and adventure

Very hard working dedicated people

Hardest part was learning the way of life and standing duty (sometimes for 24 hours straight)
Navy
Hospital Corpsman (Occupational Therapy Assistant) (Current Employee), Hampton, VAJanuary 21, 2015
I typically go to work at 7 am and I get off work around 3:30pm, I work in an Occupational Therapy Hand clinic and I really like what I do. I provide treatment for patients in need of therapy, I see active duty, dependents, and retirees on a daily basis. I work with some really good people from all over the country, I like the blending of different cultures in my work environment. The hardest part of my job is being away from home and my family but I get to see them when I take leave so it makes things bearable.
A good initial start to a career
Operations Specialist (Former Employee), WashingtonJanuary 21, 2015
Pros: life long friends
Cons: always away from family during holidays and special events
A good place to grow into an adult. Understand life's challenges and learn to be on your own. Job security however it consumes your life with the rotating shifts, frequent deployments.
Excellent work environment, state of the art equipment available.
Pharmacist in Charge (Former Employee), Naval Academy, MDJanuary 21, 2015
Pros: lived off base like a regular job.
Cons: had to walk to and from work.
Knowledgeable work staff, with the finest doctors at our disposal.
Military Lifestyle
Avionics Electrician Technician (Former Employee), Lemoore, CaJanuary 21, 2015
It's basically everything you would ever think of having a military job. The life style is tough and you are gone for a majority of your time. It's a very tough career for a young family.
Fast paced challenging work atmosphere.
First Line Supervisor (Former Employee), San Diego, CAJanuary 21, 2015
As a prior member of this well known global organization, it keeps you on alert constantly with changes in tasks and objectives with a short time line to meet on time. The skills attained on how to be efficient in time management, leadership skills, mentoring, self development, and self pride of belonging are unique. Multicultural environment and very diverse people will make it interesting and exciting to meet other people and cultures. The hardest part would be being detached from home and experiencing new things and being home sick, with those new experiences would overcome the feelings by going to different places all around the world and tasting world cuisine.
It's a adventure
Machinist Mate (Former Employee), Long Beach, CAJanuary 21, 2015
Pros: graduate from boot camp
Cons: being in boot camp
Too much to say about the United States navy,, But it's great place to grow and work.
Overall a great career
Production Work Center Manager/QA Supervisor (Current Employee), San Diego, CAJanuary 20, 2015
Pros: pay and benefits
Cons: moving every 3-4 years
Spent over half my life in the US Navy, days were long but pay and benefits were good.
Keeps you busy
Corpsman (Current Employee), Alexandria, VAJanuary 20, 2015
Pros: free hands on exprience, a chance to save someones life
Cons: minimum wage
a typical day at work would 30 or so surgical cases, me checking each room and maintaining supply in each room which in result to provider satisfaction. its really a simple job. the most enjoyable part of the job is interacting with patients while placing IV because right from the start, you establish a trust with the patient.
Hard work
Chief Reactor Watch / Nuclear Mechanical Operator (Current Employee), Coronado, CAJanuary 20, 2015
Only for the individuals that work extremely hard. A tough job that requires alot of hours.
Military Life
PETTY OFFICER THIRD CLASS (Former Employee), Jacksonville, FLJanuary 20, 2015
Joining the military was the best thing I could do, I had a chance to travel the world and experience different cultures and ways of life.
work hard play hard
Operations Specialist (Former Employee), San Diego, CAJanuary 20, 2015
long hours. exhausting deployments. My supervisors were unorganized. My fellow co workers were amazing. I learned a lot of responsibility and time management.
Fun and always changing day
Navy Corpsman (Former Employee), TexasJanuary 20, 2015
Pros: benefits, knowing that you have a check coming in twice a month
Cons: leaving family behind.
A typical day at work starts early with getting ready for the day starting with making sure that your uniform is ready and you look professional everyday. If you are in a leadership position you make have 5 are 20 people under you with questions on everything that goes on at work and in there life. It is a place to grow but the life is not for all some have a hard time adapting to orders from others. The hardest part of the job would be having to leave family behind when deployments come up knowing that they have to take care of everything bye themselves. The most enjoyable is the traveling to see different cultures which give you a different perspective of what you have back at home.
Armed services
Transient Personnel Officer (Former Employee), Silverdale, WAJanuary 20, 2015
The hours really were not bad and being able to see other countries was a huge plus. I would recommend this to anyone looking for a job.
See the world...
Chief Petty Officer (Former Employee), San Diego, CAJanuary 20, 2015
Cons: policy micro-managing, disconnect between senior leadership and juniors, long deployments, advancement opportunities
See the world, but be ready to be treated like the lowest common denominator. Don't expect to get off the ship in port and be able to be treated like an adult. You will be told what you can and cannot wear, what time to be back, where you can and cannot go, stay overnight, eat, and drink.

Advancement opportunities are there to a certain point, but don't expect to be rewarded based upon how hard you work. If there isn't an opening...well you are not going to advance.

Benefits are good although they are changing with budget constraints.
Great experience but not for the faint of heart.
Shipboard Electronics Technician (Radio) (Former Employee), Groton CTJanuary 20, 2015
Pros: good food. great crew. got to see other countries.
Cons: long underways. not being able to see the sun for extended periods of time.
Work days were long but if you got what you needed done in a timely manner then it was an easy life. If something broke that was extremely important then you had a long day ahead of you. Doing a 24 hour day every 4 days was not something everyone wanted to do. But you got through it.

About U.S. Navy

The US Navy maintains a variety of military equipment like ballistic missile submarines, aircraft carriers, surface warships, – Read more