U.S. Navy
8,578 reviews

U.S. Navy Employer Reviews

Low Management quality
OPERATION SPECIALIST (Former Employee), San Diego, CANovember 14, 2014
A typical day at work was aggravating and unproductive. even though that is what it felt that way I learned a from the navy. Management was a big issue it seemed that no one really cared. My co-workers were great they helped me out a lot. The hardest part about my job was that I could not be myself I had to be what the navy wanted me to be. The most – more... enjoyable part about my job was getting to meet new people and seeing different places. – less
The US Navy taught me leadership, responsibility and efficiency.
Aviation Boatswain's Mate (Former Employee), Norfolk, VANovember 14, 2014
Pros: actively participating in us navy tradition.
Cons: dealing with the accidental loss of shipmates due to unavoidable mishaps.
A typical day would be a twelve hour shift consisting of executing all duties related to safety and management of sailors and equipment aboard ship both at sea and in port.
I learned leadership skills that surpass anything that could possibly be taught in a civilian setting.
My highly trained and experienced leaders shepherded me through the obstacles – more... related to my time working aboard the aircraft carrier.
My co-workers and fellow crew members were among the elite of the US Navy's fighting force.
The hardest part of the job was dealing with the aftermath of unavoidable accidents which rarely occurred working on the flight deck.
The most enjoyable parts of my job was working along side many capable and proficient people, visiting exciting port-o-calls and learning other cultures which was educating and enlightening. – less
Great Company
Information Assurance Manager, NAVAIR (Current Employee), Patuxent River, MDNovember 14, 2014
In my role as Information Assurance Manager I worked directly with program management for the gathering of requirements, design, and the deployment of a Wide Area Network(WAN) that processes data at the National Security Level. I have established working relationships with the Navy Cyber Security Directorate for the Certification and Accreditation of – more... the WAN and also for four separate legacy Local Area Networks that operate within Department of Defense compartmentalizes security requirements. I had responsibility to manage four system administrators and I was the liaison between program management, program security, and many different organizations to meet management’s goals. I maintain all documentation pertaining to all systems under my control including System Security Plans (SSP’s), Standard Operating Procedures, and other various government compliance documents.
Subject matter expert Government Cyber Security Compliance.

Information Assurance Manager Mar 2010 – May 2012
Office of the Secretary of Defense, Director Special Programs Office

Under the authority of the Under Secretary of Defense for Acquisition Technology and Logistics(AT&L), Government Program Management and team leads I was responsible for the IT/IA security of an enterprise national security environment and the systems that fell within the security domain. I applied discretionary access and mandatory access rules and policies to the systems and had responsibility for continuous monitoring of the systems. I was also a member of an inspection team that traveled to sites that processed data under our security domain and was the IT/IA inspector for those sites. I made recommendations to government management for the accreditation of the sites and the systems. Working with IT/IA staff at sites I helped with the remediation and mitigation of findings and develop plans of action and milestones for the accreditation of the sites and their systems. – less
Demanding, challenging, REWARDING
Auxiliaryman (Current Employee), Portsmouth, VANovember 14, 2014
Every day consists of generating work authorization forms, danger tagout line items, preventive and corrective maintenance, troubleshooting, and schematics analysis. Some days include equipment repair and operation, trend analysis of running equipment via logs, and security watches.
Stable environment
Aviation Ordnanceman (Former Employee), San Diego, CANovember 13, 2014
Pros: travel
Cons: on call 24/7
Great benefits and stable income. I learned the value of a good team. co-workers are friendly competition. the hours were too long. pay and benefits are great.
Military
Machinist Mate Third Class (E4) (Former Employee), Norfolk, VANovember 13, 2014
Very rewarding and important career. Being part of the greatest Navy in the world was awesome.
Great experence
Boatswains Mate (Former Employee), San Diego, CANovember 13, 2014
overall it was a great experence and i am very proud to have been part of this organazation
I enjoyed being a mechanic
Gas Turbine Technician (Former Employee), Norfolk, VANovember 13, 2014
Pros: being a leader
Cons: working around the clock
My day would consist of maintenance on various equipment troubleshooting and being a leader. I learned how to be a leader how to manage my time and equipment that kept the ship in operation. I loved working with the different people and getting to know them we all worked together as a team. The most enjoyable part of my job was being able to work on – more... gas turbine engines and being able to fix problems. – less
fun with tons of traveling
Master At Arms (Former Employee), marietta gaNovember 13, 2014
I got to travel to different states to learn from different people and how to do diffrent tasks.
Traveled the World
ABE-2 Catapult Captain (Former Employee), San Diego, CANovember 13, 2014
Pros: education
Cons: away from home
Best place on earth to learn leadership skills.
Sailed the Pacific Ocean and traveled to a lot of neat places.
Ten years as a shipboard mechanic, ten years as an equipment mechanic
Shipboard Engineer/Construction Mechanic (Former Employee), Various throughout the worldNovember 13, 2014
No such thing as a "typical" day. Work is done as needs dictate, until the work is done. Rotating shifts could be anywhere from to 12 hours, performing maintenance on vehicles, shipboard engines, etc.
I take pride of what i accomplished in the military
Loading and offloading ammunitions and rig captain (Former Employee), Long Beach, CANovember 13, 2014
You are owned by the government 24/7 for as long you can tolerate and to provide security for both military and civilians.
Productive and Rewarding
Aviation Maintenance Administrator (Current Employee), Virginia Beach, VANovember 12, 2014
Pros: team work and benefits
Cons: long deployments
Shift work.

Team work

Being away from family for long deployments

Working with your fellow sailors and accomplishing a task as a team.
Personnel Specialist (Former Employee), Norfolk, VirginiaNovember 12, 2014
Good career choice. I would highly recommended the military as a career choice.
Military service is a great thing
Department Supervisor (Former Employee), Norfolk, VANovember 12, 2014
This job was the best job I've ever had. It opened my eyes to cultures I've never seen and allowed me to enhance my education through on the job training and management.
happy to serve
Enginemen (Former Employee), Norfolk, VANovember 12, 2014
the best part was serving my country in a time of war and being able to help ensure that we got everywhere we needed to go safely
in-depth technical and operational knowledge of emerging technologies and their network centric applications
Operations Officer,Training Officer (Former Employee), San Diego, CANovember 12, 2014
Responsible to brief, interact, and mentor senior officers in advanced planning and logistics Operations on a day to day schedule, manage work out put for over 40 personnel. work well with co-workers, the hardest part is making sure deadlines are on time. Love working with people.
Millitary
Aviation Mechanic (Current Employee), Jacksonville, FLNovember 12, 2014
Pros: pay, comrodery
Cons: overtime, deployment
I am in a supervisory position. Oversee installation of parts and verify that all the proper steps were performed as per the correct manuals. Verify the specific inspections were completed and signed off correctly. Ensure that specific jobs / maintenance was completed in a timely and safely manner. Ensure that all safety guidlines are strictly followed – more... ie. ppe, hazmat. – less
Great Career
Information Systems Technician (Former Employee), worldwideNovember 12, 2014
Great job with amazing benefits and a teamwork enviroment.
Navy review
Quartermaster (Current Employee), San Diego, CANovember 12, 2014
Pros: long breaks, time for personal errands, help from co-workers for anything, can get free housing (room or ship)
Cons: out to sea for extended periods of time, being away from home, people in your personal buisness
the Navy has a lot of culture and its own rules. its more of a daily lifestyle rather than just a "job". there are a mix of people you have to work with. i dont wish to speak to much about the navy.

About U.S. Navy

The US Navy maintains a variety of military equipment like ballistic missile submarines, aircraft carriers, surface warships, – Read more