U.S. Navy
10,186 reviews

U.S. Navy United States Employee Reviews

Going to sleep
Entry Level Medical Discharge (Former Employee), Great Lakes, IllinoisApril 23, 2015
Pros: Learn to sleep anywhere, anytime
Cons: Being yelled at, Food was no good.
I enjoyed joining the US Navy and it was my dream job but I was sent home due to shoulder dislocations, it was enjoyable being yelled at constantly as well as the camaraderie I learned.
Great opportunity
Master at Arms (Former Employee), Pearl Harbor, HIApril 23, 2015
Overall working for the Navy was a great a opportunity with many benefits. Every location is different as are the people, it always is what you make it.
Very Secure Job with great experience.
Operations Specialist Third Class Petty Officer (Current Employee), Great Lakes, ILApril 23, 2015
Pros: Benefits, Security, experiences.
Cons: No family time, pay.
The United States Navy is a great place to work with security and great benefits. Its a great place to work with amazing experiences but no time to spend with the family and thats what I want to start doing .
very interesting job
Aviation Electrician (Former Employee), Patuxent River, MDApril 23, 2015
liked working on the aircraft. received a great education while in the navy. very diverse workforce with some interesting people to interact with.
Good Life experience
Personnel Specialist/Pay Clerk (Former Employee), San Diego, CAApril 23, 2015
Pros: Good Benefit Package
Cons: A lot of time away from family
The experience working in the Navy is bitter sweet. The benefit package is great and it is easy to skate from work if you wan. But there is a lot of time spent away from family.
Great experience, poor career
Information Systems Technician (Current Employee), Norfolk, VAApril 23, 2015
Pros: co-workers feel like family, travel, great medical benifits, steady pay, pays for college
Cons: Away from family, long work hours, exposure to harmful chemicals, poor management skills
The Navy is great if you need a way to get out of a small town and pay for college. The benifits are fantastic, and you will get to travel (if you are medically sound). The draw backs vary for each person. If you can just go with the flow and not let things get to you, it's a great job.
One of a kind experience
Aviation Electricians Mate (Current Employee), Virginia Beach, VAApril 23, 2015
Great experience gained through Training. Every day was an evolving learning cycle. No task was ever the same. Same days were fast and exciting, other days were laid back and easy going. All in all I had a great experience.
HM
Dental Assistant (Former Employee), virginiaApril 23, 2015
Pros: benefits
Cons: advancement
It was okay. BEnefits are awesome but advancement in HM rate is horrible. Study, Volunteer and get involved and you will be okay. ASk questions!
Excellent benefits and travel
Workcenter Supervisor (Current Employee), Norfolk, VAApril 23, 2015
While the hours were long, the environment was very conducive to learning new skills, the other members were very team and mission oriented, and there was room for a lot of growth. There were some excellent travel opportunities. The deployments could be difficult, with extremely long hours and stressful environments.
Great place to work.
Boatswain's Mate (Former Employee), Norfolk, VAApril 23, 2015
Great place to grow as an person. Great people and very good work environment. lots of fisical activities. they really keep you in shape.
The Greatest Job Ever.
Culinary Specialist/Technician (Former Employee), San Diego, CAApril 22, 2015
Pros: Traveling
Cons: 18hr shifts
I can't explain how important serving my country was and enjoyable this was one of the greatest learning experience I've ever had.I learned how to adapt to situations as they arise and always remain professional and efficient.The Command I worked for was a family oriented environment and always focused on bettering every sailor that has crossed the door seal.The shipmates I worked with has forged a lifetime bond that can never be broken because we've been through a lot of ups and downs and we were only able to depend on each other.The hardest part of the job was writing a will everytime we deployed for the Gulf.The most enjoyable part was coming home to family.
Very progressive medical environment
Contract - Adult / Peds Critical Care Therapist (Former Employee), San Diego, CAApril 22, 2015
Pros: Constantly learning new moralities or procedures
Cons: Keeping those youthful minds in-the-game when appropriate
An ever changing environmental critical strategies for a wide variety of pulmonary patients. Everyday, as a clinician, new techniques are shared and applied for the betterment of patients and health care workers.
As a contract worker I was treated no different than Government Service workers.
But, the ill of the environment was the stubborn youthful minds that exhibited "flighty" attitudes at the wrong time. Such as putting their own interests before the patients, the mission, and the department.

The best part in my employment there was that it consummated, daily, a family environment that made it enjoyable to be there.
Very rewarding experience
Departmental Secretary (Former Employee), Norfolk, VAApril 22, 2015
Being in the military was a very rewarding experience. I experience and witnessed first hand the professionalism. Co-workers were always there for business and personal issues. What I enjoyed the most is learning and visiting different countries
Travel the world
Hull Technician (Former Employee), everywhereApril 22, 2015
Pros: job security travel
Cons: always deployed
The US Navy is a amazing opportunity and I loved every minute of it. Constant deployments will take a high toll on any family life.
Exceptional, Professional
Master-At-Arms/Senior Chief SW/AW (Former Employee), Virginia Beach, VAApril 22, 2015
Pros: Education and Advancement
Cons: Long Deployments
Qualified in every position as ABE and MAA. Extremely educational and able to find my niche within law enforcement, anti-terrorism and corrections. Long deployments that built strong camaraderie and interactions with all foreign law enforcement agencies. Hardest part of the job at times was the language barrier, however, all aspects of human behavior were the same. Best part of the job was in learning and developing new procedures that are now being used in law enforcement and corrections.
U.S NAVY
Construction Mechanic (Current Employee), Atlanta, GAApril 22, 2015
In the NAVY I have learned to be very self-efficient. I have no problem taking the leadership role when the situation arises. Those who are appointed over me have recognized my commitment by tasking me with collateral duties.
Great work environment and stepping stone to grow and inherit a skill
Machinist (Former Employee), Norfolk, VAApril 22, 2015
Pros: Benefits, Security, Learning plateau
Cons: Not many breaks, Short lunches, long hours
Absolutely love the hours worked and the people I worked with. The hardest part of the job is sometimes hours can go overtime a lot but on the other hand it is well worth it. The most enjoyable part of the job is learning the capabilites you have within.
good foundation
Interior Communications Electrician (Former Employee), Bremerton, WAApril 22, 2015
Great place to jump start your career, just not for me to do 20 years, you get to travel for free and meet people from all over.
Excellent Job Oppurtunity
Senior Chief Petty Officer (Former Employee), San Diego Naval Station, CAApril 22, 2015
Pros: Travel
Cons: Time away from Family
Service to the country and opportunity to see the world awaits anyone with the willingness and desire to work hard and dedicate their time and effort to something bigger than themselves... I served for 26 years and loved every minute!
Training Tommorow's Leaders Today @ USNA
Educational Technician (Administrative Assistant) (Current Employee), AnnapolisApril 22, 2015
Pros: Developing leaders
Cons: pay is set by congress not performance
I enjoyed working with future leaders of the Navy and Marine Corps. The job was very rewarding.

Things are done "the navy way" and changes with commanders who do two or three year tours. Once you understand that you will have no problem at the academy.

About U.S. Navy

Imagine working with the most awe-inspiring equipment and technology the world has ever seen. Making your living as a rescue swimmer – Read more

U.S. Navy Salaries