U.S. Navy Employee Reviews

Found 15,809 reviews matching the search
Hard but fair
Machinist Mate Third Class (Current Employee) –  Bremerton, WAJanuary 20, 2017
The military is what you make it. It can be hard but fair(Military) because of the importance it has on our daily lives. It's not just a job it's a lifestyle. It hasn't been easy but it was the best decision I made in my entire life. A lot of great memories were made and that's what I remember the most.
Pros
Benefits, Faternity, Assistance, skill set
Cons
Bad management (sometimes), under represented, long hours
The Navy is a place for comraderie, learning, training, character building and exponentially increasing responsibilities
Surface Warfare Officer (Former Employee) –  Middle East, East Coast, Pacific and the SouthNovember 21, 2016
The Navy offers a plethora of opportunities to excel. No two days are the same and each day is designed to train sailors to perform under the most stressful conditions. During my 23 years with the Navy, I have learned how to follow orders and also how to lead people. I have learned the benefits of working as a team, as this is how new ideas are formulated. Every day is a new challenge which presents an opportunity for growth and learning.
Pros
Exceptional benefits
Cons
Deployed for 7-8 months at a time
Great way to start a career
Welder/Fabricator, plumber/pipfitter (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CANovember 6, 2016
When i first joined, i didnt truly understand the meaning of serving your country. After two years, i looked back and thought of the people that have come and gone. I realised that wach an every person i worked with, for, or even just a quick contact with, they all gave me something to remember. The military has given me a much clearer understanding of leadership, workmanship, being a student, and trusting in your superiors. With all these new skills i feel that this was one of the best decisions i have ever made.
Pros
Free living quarters, meals, healthcare benefits, family benefits
Cons
Long work days, deployment
Productive and interactive workforce
Command Career Counselor (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CADecember 10, 2016
Rewarding career. Very interactive workforce. Assisting fellow members with career decisions that best suited the member as well as their families was the most rewarding time in my 14 years of active duty. Being part of the submarine community was both challenging and fulfilling. I gained a great deal of experience in the world of mechanics, human resource, and customer service.
Pros
Benefits, experience and travel
Cons
Time away from family
Know and achieve your goals
Navy Officer- Pilot (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAJanuary 17, 2017
The navy offers opportunity. Know your goals before you join and ensure you are working toward those goals constantly. Daily life varies on job, duty station, operational tempo, and many other factors. You are always working toward the next milestone whether personal or professional.
Pros
Job security, training, benefits
Cons
Working conditions and management styles vary drastically.
US Navy
Machinist Mate (Former Employee) –  Great Lakes, ILJanuary 4, 2017
I joined the US Navy back in 2013. I thoroughly enjoyed my time while in service. The benefits are wonderful, from the vacation time to the health care. Advancement is dependent on your rate/mos. If you work hard in all aspects of your life (fitness, overall health, and rate study) you'll advance as quickly as possible. It offers many amazing opportunities to grow as a person and to learn new things.
Navy
Fire Controlman Second Class (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VAFebruary 18, 2017
Deployments can be long, but it is easy to get into a routine. The worst part are yard periods. There isn't always enough accountability so people are able to get away with no doing their jobs, which can really mess up your own career. Evaluations also can be based on favorites vs actual job performance.
Pros
Benefits are great. Family like atmosphere and life long friends.
Cons
lack of accountability, time away from home, lack of integrity.
Tough Job; great rewards
Chief Petty Officer (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLJanuary 12, 2017
Nothing greater than serving your country. There were plenty of challenges concerning job assignments: however, reflecting on a career in the U.S. Navy I am proud to say I completed every assignment and have great gratitude for having such a great family to support me; especially my loving wife, who always took great care of the family and me. Thank you sweetheart.
Pros
benefits for a lifetime for family
Cons
separation from family
Great place to learn and find new challenges with great opportunities for family
Workload Forecast Analyst (Current Employee) –  Bremerton Naval Station, WAOctober 25, 2016
The office provided a comfortable place to learn and expand existing knowledge by tapping co-workers who specialized in other areas of expertise. Workload was broken into three parts allowing a broader range of experience for each person.

The job was humbling in the sense that I did not know as much about database manipulation and MS Office as my college years lead me to believe. I was able to learn much more with on the job training and use some free time at work to expand my knowledge in areas that were most interesting.

The hardest part was the constantly changing deliverables based on the business cycle and place we were in each month. Management was not as consistent as they could have been with policies and expectations for work but were extremely accommodating with schedules allowing employees to use alternate work schedules and choose start and end times that suited our needs best.
Pros
choose our own schedules, flexibility, job stability, compensation
Cons
inconsistency in demands, repetitive work
I highly recommend at least one enlistment to everyone!
Information Systems Technician- USS Somerset (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAFebruary 20, 2017
Loved it and would have stayed active duty but I am onto something different for a new career. It made me the person I am today and wouldn't change a thing I experienced or the people I met.
Pros
Amazing Benefits, Travel, Meet all kinds of amazing people from all differnt walks of life, Brotherhood/family
Cons
Military life so expect the unexpected
Hard work but it is all worth it
Aviation Structural Mechanic (Current Employee) –  Oak Harbor, WADecember 6, 2016
The U.S. Navy does mean you will have an abundance of work, especially in the aviation field. There will be long hours and you will have to deal with many people and procedures that may be aggravating at first. It is all worth it in the end because you build great bonds and friendships, some which will help you in the future when you do decide to retire.
Pros
Benefits, travel the world
Cons
long days and some difficult jobs
A hard line
Fire Controlman (Current Employee) –  VariousAugust 9, 2016
This job is not for people who cannot maintain a sound mind in an environment of constant stress, danger, and physically demanding challenges. Danger isn't limited to just enemies of the United States, but the general work conditions, especially onboard a ship, or in a ship yard.
The daily operations vary greatly, but there is a semblance of general routine. Days can start as early a 0400 in the morning, and run well over 48 hours long in some circumstances.
The comraderie amongst sailors is very important, and long and lasting friendships can be made. You will also have to work alongside people that you don't necessarily like, or even distrust.
A lot of being a part of the Navy involves being able to adapt and deal with constantly changing situations. Being mentally flexible is vital.
Pros
Compensation, Benefits, Pay, Post-career oppertunities
Cons
Long hours, limited off-line, constant danger of not living to see tomorrow
Great first hand experience for electronics and different devices
Electronics Technician (Former Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VASeptember 14, 2016
In the mornings we take attendance, engage in physical fitness activities, and acquire information needed for the day before beginning our duties. Supervisors are informed of progress and accomplishments at the end of the day, There is continuous learning of electronic devices and network issues that arise with computers. Management is supportive and co-workers are team players. Troubleshooting and problem solving is the hardest part of the job; however, when you are able to resolve the problem it is extremely gratifying.
Pros
Travel, on the job training, and great benefits
Cons
Away from family when deployed.
High pace environment with challenging goals to accomplish.
AVIATION MACHINIST MATE (Former Employee) –  Millington, TNAugust 31, 2016
An early morning muster or check in happens with supervisor and after the supervisor establishes the goals for the day or maintenance actions for the crew to accomplish. Management is a great system in the Navy because with the ranking system, it allowed you to earn your position and let you gain experience and qualifications before getting promoted too quickly and consequently having an unexperienced leader. The hardest part of the job would be the extra shifts and hours you would have to put in to achieve maintenance goals and could be told to be working extra with no notice. But the best thing was the camaraderie with my shipmates or co workers. Whatever task we had we accomplished with great communication and professionalism.
Pros
healthcare
Cons
salary
Challenging
Hospital Corpsman (Former Employee) –  GuamFebruary 12, 2017
I had an office job, so a typical day for me was comparable to a civilian with the same job title. I sometimes had to work long hours standing watch. But it was twice a month at the most and it wasn't that bad. The most enjoyable part of the job was the travel and benefits (G.I. Bill, 30 days vacation, health insurance...) The hardest part of the job was being away from family and friends.
Benefits
Cons
Being away from home
Exciting, fulfilling and challenging experience.
Aircrew Rescue Swimmer (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAFebruary 24, 2017
Training, performing air rescue missions.
Discipline, management skills.
Management was strict.
Workplace culture was a large brotherhood.
Hardest part of the job was being away from family for 6 months at a time.
Most enjoyable part of the job was protecting our country in a time of war.
Pros
Benifits, travel
Cons
Travel for extending periods of time
A demadning work place with great benefits.
Aviation Electricians Mate (Former Employee) –  VAJanuary 7, 2017
The Navy is a demanding job. There is little time for work life balance, as such it is a job for some and not others. For those able to give everything to their career, which is what the work requires, this can be a very rewarding career.
Pros
Benefits, heathcare
Cons
Short breaks, political (who you know matter)
A secure and good choice for the very determined.
Nuclear Electrician's Mate Trainee (Former Employee) –  Charleston, SCDecember 7, 2016
It was painful to get through boot camp and the training programs especially nuclear requires extreme effort but if you manage to get through all this the benefits and skills are worth it and your hard work will get you very far even if you do one deployment only.
Pros
Learn discipline, attention to detail, many skills, hard work gets you far, and helps with college or future jobs.
Cons
No room for failure or mistakes, stressful, no time for yourself and many sleep deprived days.
Work and Life Experience
Culinary Specialist (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAAugust 20, 2016
In the U.S. Navy there is no ordinary day. Things can change in a heart beat. The navy consists of early mornings and late nights. The Navy gave me the skills that I have today to pursue a brighter career in the future. The management was professional and maintained a very high standard as well demanded the same. The morality of the ships crew was outstanding for the most part. everyone worked as an cohesive unit to make the work environment a conducive place to learn. the hardest part of the job was to work under high stressed environments. I really enjoyed the benefits of being a United States Sailor.
Benefits
Cons
Stress
Not for the ambitious
Engineering Laboratory Technician, Dates (Former Employee) –  Groton, CTJanuary 24, 2017
It's your typical structured and disciplined environment with plenty of the good ol' boys club mentality. "Since it happened to me, I'm going to do it to you" Long hours take advantage of not needing to pay you overtime since it's salary. They own you.
Pros
job security
Cons
everything else if you want a life

Ask a question about working or interviewing at U.S. Navy. Our community is ready to answer.

4.4