U.S. Navy Employee Reviews in United States

Found 13,690 reviews matching the search
very attention to detail kind of work, various countries visited
Logistics Specialist (Former Employee) –  asiaMay 16, 2016
overall fun expierence that was mind opening and educational, extremely stress full underways away from family and loved ones
Pros
many countires visited
Cons
long deployments
Good people to work with
Engineering Technician (Current Employee) –  Keyport, WAMay 15, 2016
I've worked for the Navy as a civilian for 13 years and have had many chances to advance myself and gain work experience. I've worked with many good and knowledgeable people while working there and am now training the next generation of people.
Pros
good work schedule
Cons
long commute
aviation
avaition (Former Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VAMay 15, 2016
hard working and dependable work. a environment where you have to be knowledgeable in many areas. safety and relying on a team is very important.
Great place to work, great benefits, and very great challenges
2ND CLASS PETTY OFFICER (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAMay 15, 2016
The U.S. Navy was a great challenge and a great expierience that allowed me to travel and meet new people, and make good money. It was alot to learn but now I appreciate the fact that because of these challenges I am now equipped to handle many different situations and I am much more capable of learning diverse things and being able to work in a diverse environment.
Pros
2 hour lunch and I got to travel alot
Cons
Inflexible schedule
Avionics Technician U.S. Navy
U.S. Navy Aviation Electronics Technician (Current Employee) –  Yigo, GUMay 15, 2016
Demanding lifestyle with many deployments each year. Mission oriented fast paced. Great benefits, opportunities for school if you have the time. Technical/Mechanical application needed to troubleshoot and repair complex systems.
Benefits
Cons
Long hours, Deployments
Great training and development opportunities
Intelligence Officer (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLMay 14, 2016
I will miss the challenging and fast-paced environment. Working with people from all over the world has dramatically improved my social, leadership, and team building skills.
Helps gain stability, not a job for everyone
Hazardous Materials Specialist (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAMay 13, 2016
Worked on an aircraft carrier and completed two deployments. Days were long and very slow paced. Not a lot to do if you are not part of the air crew
Pros
Paid on the 1st and the 15th
Cons
Long deployments, away from family
Good start
Aircraft Mechanic (Former Employee) –  VariedMay 13, 2016
Great place to learn a trade and see the world. Cruises can be long but pleasant if you don't mind working during the cruise.
Diverse and fun
Aviation Mechanic Third Class (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAMay 13, 2016
My typical work day was mustering early in the morning and working on helicopters all day. I learned so much being in the Navy, it made me grow as a person to be around so many diverse and intellectual people.
Challenging Work Hours, Good People
Nuclear Power Training Unit Certified Instructor (Current Employee) –  Charleston, SCMay 13, 2016
The People are great, the hours are tough. I enjoy teaching future sailors. This is a good place to start out as a young adult.
Pros
Healthcare is available when needed
Cons
Rotating Shifts
Ideal Career
Leading Petty Officer and Maintenance Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAMay 13, 2016
My time in the Navy was one of the greatest times of my life. I had the chance to travel the world and visit exotic ports of call. The work was arduous, but extremely satisfying. My day consisted of monitoring aircraft start-ups, marshaling aircraft to the catapult for launch, and marshaling aircraft to their final spot upon recovery. My shipmates were my brothers and sisters. I had the chance to lead, and work along side, some the greatest people that our country has to offer. The hardest part of my job were the hours. Many work days extended from 16 to 20 hours. The most enjoyable part of the job was returning from deployment with everybody we left with, and returning to our loved ones.
Serve Your Country
Officer (Former Employee) –  Silverdale, WAMay 13, 2016
Like any service, there is lots of hard work. It isn't for everyone and you may be required to sacrifice some of your personal goals or family priorities to be successful. You are serving at the need of the Navy (i.e. they are going send you were they need you and you will work crazy hours). Unlike in the civilian world were safety may be the most important thing, accomplishing the mission is the most important thing in the military. Due to a highly regulated promotion vehicle, opportunities for truly outstanding individuals is limited. Unless you believe the U.S. Government is getting ready to default, job security is extremely high and pay is structured to give you a tax advantage.
Pros
Job security and benefits
Cons
You have to sacrifice your rights
Go Navy
Machinist Mate (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAMay 13, 2016
My time in the Navy was an enjoyable time. I learned a lot about the ships given my rate of being a Machinist Mate. I also had the opportunity to work with an elite color guard. From completing HARP duty (working with the recruiter who enlisted you) to maintenance in the bilge (lowest part of the ship), my naval experience is one that I will never forget. I will also be able to apply things that I have learned to everyday life.
Great Experience
USN Recruiter (Former Employee) –  Lawton, OKMay 12, 2016
Honored for serving in the USN. Only issue is the inconsistency with what type of Command you will be attached to. My co-workers were like family to me and I will most definitely miss that aspect. Proud to have been apart of the Recruiting organization and got a lot of fulfillment out of changing peoples lives by assisting them with enlisting them into the Armed Forces
This is a short summery about my currant employer
Petty Officer (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VAMay 12, 2016
To be honest the Navy has given to a lot to be thankful for, I have no regrets about working for them for 4 years... But I do not see myself there long term which is a my biggest motivation for leaving. However I would say the security at this job alone with relative ease of the job my things become too relaxed. I enjoy working in a professional environment with a fast pace. Where everyday I will be challenged in someway. That's not to take anything away from the Navy it just couldn't give me that so I look forward to working in a business that can!
Pros
benfits, healthcare, co-workers, travel, clear path to advance
Cons
not challenging enough, too relaxed, not profession
Long hours and mandatory hand golding
Non Destructive Testing Laboratory Manager (Former Employee) –  Lemoore, CAMay 12, 2016
The experience was priceless but would not recommend as a carrier.
The personal treatment is on the level with grade school.
Awesome place to work, great people with great personalities
United States Navy Aviation Ordnance Technician (Former Employee) –  USNMay 12, 2016
A typical day was getting with our team to see what work we had for the day. Loading, arming, maintenance, etc. I learned Leadership skills and how to communicate with people of all kinds, different cultures, ethnicity, religions, etc. Management was great, our Officers and Chiefs were easy to get along with. The hardest part of the job was being away from home for Months and Years. The most enjoyable part was working with many persons and getting together, setting our differences aside and completing the missions.
Decent career
Food Service Worker (Former Employee) –  Everett, WAMay 12, 2016
I joined to do my part for this country and it was well worth it. If you want a career with a steady paycheck this it. Great benefits and all.
Pros
DECENT PAY
Cons
POOR LEADERSHIP AT TIMES
Wonderful place to work; provides job stability
Program Analyst NAVAIR 4.11.1 (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZMay 12, 2016
The most enjoyable part of the job is not doing the same thing day and day out. Always something new to work on. I could not ask for a better boss to work for. Travel is good too.
Pros
Travel, job stability
Cons
n/a
Extremely fast paced working environment.
SURGICAL TECHNOLOGIST (Former Employee) –  Bethesda, MDMay 12, 2016
Working in a fast paced environment you are strongly encouraged to succeed and advance in rank, also strongly encouraged to advance in education as well.
Pros
Wonderful opportunities, Great skill level as a surgical technologist
Cons
time away from family

4.4