U.S. Navy

11.3K reviews

U.S. Navy Employee Reviews

Super Great Job
Shift Coordinator for the Supply Department (Former Employee), Bremerton, WashingtonAugust 24, 2015
Pros: Traveling
Cons: None
Got to travel the world for free. Learned about new cultures. Made new friends every year from around the world. Learned the meaning of brother hood.
No Longer a Family
Militay Police (Former Employee), Virginia Beach, VAAugust 24, 2015
The navy used to be considered a family, but over the years it has changed into a business. Upper management generally looked after junior personal. But it is a dog eat dog business.
Great
Machinist Mate Second class (E5) (Former Employee), EverywhereAugust 24, 2015
Its the military best thing that ever happen to me was joining. Changed my life for the better. Hardest part of the job leaving family
A very challenging job, yet very rewarding
Logistics Manager (Former Employee), Varoius locationsAugust 24, 2015
Pros: Benefits, Job experience
Cons: Fairness
A full time job 24 hours a day and 7 days a week. Required lots of sacrifice, and proud to be part of after 20 years of service.
MEMORABLE
Operations Specialist (Former Employee), NORFOLK, VAAugust 24, 2015
VERY HARD WORKING INDIVIDUALS, MET ALOT OF INTELLIGENT INDIVIDUALS THROUGHOUT THE COUNTRY. PRETTY GOOD ADVANCEMENT FOR MY RATE.
An ideal workplace for me
US Navy Sailor (Former Employee), Chicago, ILAugust 24, 2015
Eat, train and learn things on a daily basis is what a typical day would be like. Things that I took to heart are respect for others, treat your body well, always go the extra mile, and never give up. My commanders are friends were great people. The hardest part of my job was getting medically discharged. Training was the best part of the day.
Oustanding Institution with Great Leadership and Work Ethics.
Instructor (Current Employee), San Diego, CAAugust 24, 2015
Great work environment, with member the live by the core values of Honor, Courage and Commitment. Always learning and constantly evolving to became a better Leader and better Sailor for the protection of our country.
Great experience
Machinery Repairman Second Class (Former Employee), USS Ronald Reagan (CVN 6)August 24, 2015
A typical day was showing up for work early, getting briefed for things that needed to be done that day and in what time frame they needed to be done.
I learned how to be an adult, solve problems whether they were personal or work related. I learned how to supervise people in a professional manner.
The hardest part of the job was always remembering to maintain the boundaries between supervisor and friendship.
The most enjoyable part was traveling and making life long friendships.
Chief Maintenance Officer
Maintenance Material Management Coordinator (Former Employee), San Diego, CAAugust 24, 2015
Pros: Great People and Work Enviroment
Great place to work, lead and supervised ship maintenance system and database. Lead administrative department through 10 month deployment with direct leadership in the advancement of six employees to the next level.
IT'S NOT FOR EVERYONE
Office Manager / Admin Assistant / Paralegal (Current Employee), Gulfport, MSAugust 24, 2015
Military life. It's not for everyone. I have learned to be tolerable, accepting, open minded, thick skinned.
Long hours, days and months away from family and friends. It was my choice to serve the American people, not an option!
typical day as an LS
Logistic Specialist (Current Employee), Norfolk, VAAugust 24, 2015
Pros: traveling
Cons: long deployments
on a typical day i procure, receive, store and issue material and repair components,conduct and manage inventories of repair/general parts. I maintain financial records and inventory for material stocked on shore based warehouses and aboard the ship.
Armed Forces
Damage Controlman (Former Employee), San Diego, CAAugust 24, 2015
Pros: Traveling, experiences, interactions, diversity, unity, and benefits.
Cons: Deployment, 12-24 hr workdays, and cleaning up after gross people.
Being a member of the Armed Forces is a difficult lifestyle, but it is certainly worth the experience. We were assigned to maintenance and trained for emergencies daily. I learned how fires work and how to control them, the dangers of flooding and clean up for many chemicals, as well as maintaining fire fighting equipment. The chain of command is what determined "management" and often, they were good leaders and as considerate as they could be. A few times, we received new people in the chain of command that were placed higher because of schooling, but they did not know how to perform the tasks. We always worked together to get people trained quickly and effectively. The hardest part of the job is long hours, deployments, and stress. The most enjoyable is meeting new people from all over the world.
No better country to serve
Electronics Technician (Current Employee), Groton, CTAugust 24, 2015
Pros: travel, diversity, health care
Cons: away from family, exceptionally long hours
The military has been a life changing experience for me. Going from a 19 year old kid to becoming a man that can fully understand responsibilities and ethics in only 7 short years. In the Navy we have an ethos, Honor, Courage, and Commitment and with these 3 character traits most decisions become a lot clearer when you ally them to everyday life.
Provived effective career and life training
Personnel Specialist, Human Resources Specialist (Former Employee), Virginia Beach, VAAugust 24, 2015
Gave me the proper tools needed to excel. Also gave the motivation to further my education. Ability to travel and see different parts of the world which also helped me have a positive outlook on my personal and professional life.
Family-like environment
Deck Seaman (Former Employee), Everett, WAAugust 24, 2015
Pros: traveling
Cons: distractions
i had the best time of my life. i traveled the world. Helped people. Made friends. Sometimes i wished i had stayed in. I will never forget the people i met.
Great career path to help me with future plans
Aviation Maintenance and Re-fueler Management (Former Employee), Oceana, VirginiaAugust 23, 2015
Pros: travel, benefits, stable environment
Cons: deployments
Provided me with the opportunity to learn and advance my skills in the field of aviation and fuels. Taught me how to be a fantastic team player, also how to become a great leader.
excellent
Work Center Supervisor / PMEL Technician (Former Employee), the worldAugust 23, 2015
loved working for the UNITED STATES, obtained excellent education, and further advancement. not to mention seeing the world.
Electronics Technician / Reaction Force Team Leader
Electronics Technician, Reaction Force Leader (Former Employee), United States of AmericaAugust 23, 2015
Troubleshooting, repair, install radar and communications systems all throughout the ship. I was also on my ships reaction force team and eventually became the ships Reaction Force Team Leader.
Military and great benefits
Traffic Court Clerk/Bailiff (Former Employee), Bremerton, WAAugust 23, 2015
Great way to mature. The military provided great benefits and consistent pay. Great way to grow provide and grow a family.
US NAY
Operations Specialist - Task leader (Former Employee), CaliforniaAugust 23, 2015
• MAINTAINED OPERATIONAL AND LOGISTICS RECORDS BY USING LOGS AND THE USE OF THE NAVAL AVIATION LOGISTICS COMMAND MANAGEMENT INFORMATION SYSTEM (NALCOMIS).

• MANAGED INSPECTION, MAINTENANCE, ASSEMBLY AND OVERHAUL OF AIRCRAFT HANDLING EQUIPMENT WORTH $11+MILLION.

• REPRESENTED THE ASSIGNED MARINE AIR DETACHMENT (MAD) IN TEAM (NAVY) DRIVEN TESTING SORTIES.

• WORKED WITH SENIOR ENLISTED AND WITH JUNIOR OFFICERS TO ENSURE THAT FLIGHT OPERATIONS WERE EXECUTED IN ACCORDANCE TO THE FEDERAL AVIATION ADMINISTRATION (FAA) WHILE STATIONED WITH VX-9 AIR TEST AND EVALUATION SQUADRON NINE (AIRTEVRON NINE).

• TRAINED JUNIOR ENLISTED SAILORS AND HELPED THEM WITH THEIR CAREER DEVELOPMENT NEEDS.

• PROVIDED LOGISTIC AND CONTRACT ASSISTANCE TO SQUADRON WHEN DEPLOYED.

• ASSURE REQUIRED TEAM TRAINING WAS ACCOMPLISHED IN ACCORDANCE WITH CERTIFICATION REQUIREMENTS.

• DETERMINE KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES RELATED TO WORK PERFORMANCE OF ASSIGNED SUBORDINATES.
Headquarters