U.S. Navy Employee Reviews in United States

Found 14,177 reviews matching the search
Overworked, underpaid, No family time.
Radar Technician (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAAugust 21, 2016
wake up 1:45mins before work. show up to work 1hr before liberty expires 0545, get self work done before quarters 0645. manage work, repair, or do preventive maintenance. 2000 call it a day, while in port, if at sea work may continue work well into the night 2-3am before getting a nap and repeating the day at 0715.
Pros
job security
Cons
extremely high stress, little sleep, no family or self time, work may exceed 140hrs a week.
A good structure, but not the lifestyle for me
Boatswain Mate (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAAugust 20, 2016
A typical day at see would consist of painting, grinding/chipping rust, and driving the shift. Some days we would perform Boat, LCAC, and other aqueous operations. I am very proud and grateful that I served in the Navy, but the military lifestyle is not for everyone, including me.
Every child in America, should serve at least four year in the military
Petty Officer (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAAugust 20, 2016
I full enjoyed my time in the Navy. I grew up fast, and learned a ton. I had some amazing teammates, and I was promoted rapidly due to my performance. I received numerous awards and honors.
Pros
Loved it
Cons
Non
Productive, strict work environment
Electrician's Mate (Former Employee) –  VariousAugust 20, 2016
It's hard to write a standard review on the military compared to a civilian company, because it's more than just a job. It's your lifestyle. People volunteer for the military and have to sign a minimum 4 year contract. You cannot get fired, and you cannot quit if you dislike it. The Navy works extremely hard and I put in a lot of hours at work. But the difference is, when you leave the ship and go home at the end of the day, you're still in the Navy. I learned a lot from the military and met some outstanding people. I loved my experience and would not change it for anything in the world.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
You have very little choice on where you live
Operations Specialist (Former Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VAAugust 20, 2016
This is a very productive career full of great chances of travel on a huge commitment level. As the saying goes, "the military is for everyone", believe that! But it is also very fulfilling and you get to meet great people from all walks of life. The pay is decent and the hours vary, depending on your rate(job). My typical work day in port was from 8am-2pm. Not bad right? Well, my job wasn't a 'port' job, it was an out to sea job, so we rarely had anything to do in port.My management was ok for the most part. My co-workers were decent people, just disgruntled sometimes. The hardest part of the job was to sit around and wait for something to do, in port. The most enjoyable part was the traveling and the free college opportunities, not to mention the guaranteed pay and meeting awesome people.
Work and Life Experience
Culinary Specialist (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAAugust 20, 2016
In the U.S. Navy there is no ordinary day. Things can change in a heart beat. The navy consists of early mornings and late nights. The Navy gave me the skills that I have today to pursue a brighter career in the future. The management was professional and maintained a very high standard as well demanded the same. The morality of the ships crew was outstanding for the most part. everyone worked as an cohesive unit to make the work environment a conducive place to learn. the hardest part of the job was to work under high stressed environments. I really enjoyed the benefits of being a United States Sailor.
Benefits
Cons
Stress
Good people, very to the point.
OPERATIONS SPECIALIST (Former Employee) –  Mayport, FLAugust 20, 2016
Get to work while in port 0630 go home 1530. Learned a lot out ship inner and outer workings. Micromanagement was there. co-workers are great. Hardest part of job was going out to sea for weeks at a time.
Pros
Everything is taken care of
Cons
You live where you work
One of the most amazing places to work
Machinist Mate third class (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAAugust 19, 2016
While working there I had never seen such comaraderie. It is a giant family and you grow as a person. You learn the ins and out of your job while traveling to protect america
great, stable, and challenging job
Culinary Specialist submarines (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAAugust 19, 2016
a great and challenging opportunity i recommend being able to dedicate 20 years to it though. you learn a lot of different things about the things u need to do, and meet and work with a lot of different people.
Pros
stability, guaranteed income, bah, free healthcare.
Cons
very little sleep, short breaks, lots of time away from home.
Amazing teamwork
Aviation ordinance (Former Employee) –  IllinoisAugust 19, 2016
There is nothing like the teamwork that I had experienced. Overall we as a whole came together and became a whole new family.
Interesting
Intelligence Specialist (Current Employee) –  MarylandAugust 19, 2016
Overall it is ok. The reserve's can vary depending on what unit you end up in. The administrative support is terrible in the NAVY. I dont know what the YN's and support staff are doing at the NOSC but I dont think it is work. There has been months, that I have not been paid.
Diverse, global team work.
License Examiner (Former Employee) –  Imperial Beach, CAAugust 19, 2016
A typical Day at work consists of daily exercise, taking care of personal, problem solving, in add ition to doing your regular job, being responsible for auxillary committees, and command wide responsibilities.
I learned to be extremely flexible, always ready, and to work with a diverse community from all walks of life. Also to multitask not only daily work, but to be able to "build and fight" at the same time.
Managment takes special skills to make the team and dream work.
The hardest part of the job is the time and hours away from your family.
The most enjoyable part of this job is the travel, comrodary, and never having to have everyday the same.
Pros
Free education, guarenteed paycheck, free medical/dental, travel, housing.
Cons
Long hours, inability to pick up and go wherever and do whatever you want.
Defense of the United States is uncompromised
Director of Training Operations (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAAugust 19, 2016
A career in the United States Navy as a Surface Warfare Officer is rewarding, demanding, and life long fulfillment.Serving on 7 ships and making 9 deployments around the world have been an honor and privilege.
Learned different things
Culinary Specialist (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAAugust 19, 2016
It was like any other job. It was a learning process. It was hard work. Depending on the command, the management, the command was good.
Hard But Rewarding
Boatswain's Mate (Former Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VAAugust 18, 2016
Tough Long Hours But Great Benefits.Days Are Long Depending On The Job. The Hardest Part Of The Job Lack Of Sleep And Constant Work. The People Could Be A Pain But It Were Still Manageable To Work With. The Most Enjoyable Part Was Being Out On The Open Ocean. I Learned Discipline And A Great Deal Of Leadership Being Put In Charge In Day To Day Operations. Time Management Was A Big Thing I Took Away From Here. Having To Fine Time To Get Things Done On Time Or In A Timely Manner.
Pros
Discounts And Free Access To Certain Theme Parks
Cons
Short Breaks No Set Hours Mostly Working Sun Up To Sun Down
Taking work to a new level
Leadership Team Member (Former Employee) –  Washington StateAugust 18, 2016
Navy is not for the weak hearted, amazing people fill the walls and great leaders are in-charge. Any day was fast paced and always kept you on your toes. Flexibility is key with any military Career. The hardest part was the always changing schedule.
USN - A Convoluted Rollercoaster
Power Plant Supervisor (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAAugust 18, 2016
United States Navy is the best thing I have done in my life.
I was a Gas Turbine System Technician working in a propulsion plant engine room. I have learned some invaluable skills during my time and loved the foreign ports.
Professional environment to work in.
Aviation Structural Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VAAugust 18, 2016
Working in the navy was a great learning experience. I learned a lot from all types of people. The leadership and mentorship made me a stronger employee
Fast paced work environment and a lot of traveling
Aviation Machinist Mate (Former Employee) –  Point Mugu, CAAugust 18, 2016
Working in the Navy is very fast paced job and always surprising. A normal work day as a jet mechanic (Aviation Machinist Mate) consists of the usual day to day maintenance and flight schedule. It also usually consists of unscheduled maintenance which keeps a worker on their feet. I learned to always be prepare for the worst situation and hope for the best. I also learned to be aware of what is going on around me at all times. Management in the military can vary. If you have a higher up who understands the kind of work you do and the time and effort needed for a job, your going to have an efficient workflow. Unfortunately, the majority of the time it consisted of people who frequently regarded their own opinion and ego over the advice of experienced workers. The majority of my co-workers understood that as a team we could get things done more efficiently. The hardest part of my job personally was working on a troublesome engine that would frequently break for numerous gripes on a number of different systems at one time. The best part of in my line of work at the time was the camaraderie between my fellow workers and myself. I've never had more fun on the job, than with my friends in the navy.
Pros
camaraderie, life experience, travel, benefits
Cons
micro-management, faulty engine, work hours
Its the service
Navy Military Training Instructor (Current Employee) –  Great Lakes, ILAugust 18, 2016
I was forced to live in Japan due to operational commitment, after that I was an instructor. The military can even tell you what to do with your family. I never liked that. Pay is good, experience is great. However, go spec war if possible. Don't go gen pop. Ex. go Diver, EOD, SWCC, SEAL, Air Rescue
Pros
Good Benifets, steady promotion
Cons
Dragonian style management. Have to compromise morals.

4.4