U.S. Navy Employee Reviews

Work environment
Petty Officer 3rd Class (Former Employee) –  Everett, WANovember 14, 2017
the work culture was excellent. nothing but great people working around you. work environment was very dangerous but there were other people who always had your back.
Pros
3 square meals a day. great vacation time. superiors were great
Cons
gone from home a lot
Challenging and Rewarding Occupation
Course Supervisor (Former Employee) –  U.S. NavyNovember 14, 2017
A typical day consisted of meeting in the morning to discuss and assign job responsibilities as directed from the Department Heads. Once assignments were given out, we carried out the routine until mission was completed. Everyday was an unique experience and a valuable learning tool if you were open to receive it. Management styles varied and I believe gives you a good example of what and what not to do. Effective leadership is being able to learn from others and develop techniques that will enhance your ability to successfully complete each assigned task. The diversity you get from the different styles and culture itself allows you to be a more effective communicator, it also helps you to relate to some of the concerns of others as you learn more about the how and why they feel about what their decision making process is. In fact, this is both the hardest and most enjoyable aspect of working in the US Navy. Learning to work effectively with people of different ethnic backgrounds and beliefs can make you a well rounded person, but it does make communicating your ideas to them a little more challenging, however it causes you to pay more attention to detail and if done properly, almost always produces exceptional results.
Pros
Stability, Education, Friendship
Cons
Travel, Advangement Procedures
Unique and Diverse
Supervisor of supply & logistics management (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CANovember 13, 2017
There's a wonderful thing about serving your country. Especially when going to other countries, meeting new people and learning about different cultures. You really do get to see the world. I would definitely recommend this opportunity to anyone who have not had the chance to experience it.
Pros
paid medical and dental benefits.
Cons
away from home a lot.
Naval Leader
Fuels Facility Director at NAS North Island (Current Employee) –  Coronado, CANovember 13, 2017
If you want a great career, education opportunities, travel, advancement and secure pay your home is the US Navy! I have had the opportunity to serve on 3 different platforms of ships as well as 4 different shore duty stations making my scope of work and resume more broad. I have learned more than any typical education from a text book could ever teach. The pride of wearing the uniform and serving this great country is the most rewarding.
Pros
pay, education, travel, advancment, benifits.
Cons
Family life can be stressful
US Navy
Electrical Officer (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VANovember 13, 2017
Work on a ship is 24 hours a day
Watch is usually 6 on 12 off
Now i'm just typing to make sure i reach the limit of characters in this box in order to move on ....
Orthopedic love
Supervised active military personnel Corpsman (Former Employee) –  Portsmouth, VANovember 13, 2017
A typical day at the Naval Medical Center, was filled with broken bones, suture removals, unwrapping casts and drawing up medications, as well as making appointments, ordering x-rays, and labs. it was a day I looked forward to seeing as I have became family with all the people I worked with and I miss them so dearly. I learned how to become a better medical assistant and became one who desired to further my education as I love helping people. Management was great and she had a great way of making the clinic run like a well oiled machine. The hardest part of the job was when parents brought in their children and they cried because their child was hurt and the procedure they needed.
The Navy
MM3 (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VANovember 13, 2017
The US Navy was a great place to work and a great place to meet new friends. I have found that those bonds last a life time. The other part about the Navy that made it Great was the structure, we knew what our job was and what needed to be done.
Cons
deployments
Construction Mechanic
Crane program manager (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VANovember 13, 2017
Perform preventive and corrective maintenance on Civil Engineer Support Equipment. Learned how to operate and work on cranes. learned how to instruct in front of big groups. Excellent workplace culture. Hardest part is deploying away from family. Always doing something different supporting real world events.
Pros
Always learning
Cons
Deployments
Beneficial
Boatswain's mate-E5 (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXNovember 13, 2017
This was more of a career move. Navy allowed me to travel, meet new people, and also be able to earn more education. Days are always different so nothing was repeated often. Great way of life
Pros
Growth in life
Cons
Being away from family
Do it Good
Aviation Ordnance Technician (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CANovember 13, 2017
I am proud to have served in the navy, it gave me a place to grow and see thisng that most only see on tv. great people and fun traveling the world. I would do it all over again
The Most Enjoyable Part of the Job
Aviation Machinist Mate (Former Employee) –  Guantanamo Bay, CubaNovember 13, 2017
Serving one's country is an honor that few get to undertake. I personally didn't like the lack of a regimented life that the Navy offered. I felt that it needed to be more disciplined and more structured.
US Navy
Electrician's Mate (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VANovember 13, 2017
The entire system for advancement is based on tests given to everyone fleet wide. They will put you where they need you the most, not where your skill sets are or where you want to be.
Navy Life
Hospital Corpsman (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CANovember 13, 2017
We started everyday with the plan of the day (our daily schedule)
Then we would do sick call on a walk-in basis. Write soap notes on each individual patient present to medical officer which come in do an assessment prescribed medication and give us a plan for patient. I learned so much I learned how to take care of medical needs from carries in combat to doing the right assessment for the right patient. Depending on who was in charge made the work environment more stressful or not. The workplace was very stressful at times but was always able to work through. The hardest part was being away from my family 6-8 months at a time and not seeing any of my children born due to being away on duty. I served my country with pride and was honorably discharged.
Pros
Pay, Benefits
Cons
Time away from family
U. S. Navy
INDEPENDENT DUTY CORPSMAN (HM1) (Former Employee) –  Portsmouth, VA 23707November 13, 2017
The Navy is a great place for someone who is looking to find themselves and they aren't really sure who they are. If you want to travel and do not have a lot of responsibility to small children as a caregiver this is a great opportunity. It is also a great way to earn money for a higher education if you wish. This is not a job where you can ask a lot of questions or be slow paced. You must be willing to get your butt chewed, move at a fast pace and get the job done. This is not an 8 hour 5 day a week kind of job.
Pros
Exciting, travel, education
Cons
down time (boring), advancement, leadership (sometimes)
loved it
CWO3 Nuclear Technical Expert (Former Employee) –  variousNovember 13, 2017
Good training and experience in a wide variety of fields. Exposure to many jobs. Teamwork and dedication to quality work. Discipline and structure always in the forefront.
Builds Character
Enginman (Former Employee) –  Ingleside, TXNovember 13, 2017
I enjoyed my experience in the navy for the most part. It was very educational, and a hard working 24hr. a day environment. I would recommend the navy to anyone.
Very difficult atmosphere to get things done for the patient.
Nurse (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CANovember 13, 2017
I love the people I work with but it is a teaching hospital. There is high turnover and nursing practice is not necessarily based on evidence based nursing research. Quite often we are out of the most basic supplies (pillows, hats to catch urine, mepilex for pressure ulcers, MRSA swabs, etc.). Very frustrating environment to work in and, in my opinion, dangerous for patients and staff.
Loved it
Aviation Boatswains Mate (Former Employee) –  Coronado, CANovember 13, 2017
Great place to get started out of high school. I wish i could do it all over again. It was hard work and dangerous work on the flight deck of an aircraft carrier, but it was the most exciting job i have ever had. I have never felt so proud to do a job.
Pros
Traveling, and being on the open ocean
Cons
You start to miss your family but you get used to it.
Undesignated (Former Employee) –  Coronado, CANovember 13, 2017
I worked on board an aircraft carrier and at an aircraft squadron. I had to obey orders from the chain of command. The hours of work changed on a daily basis. I served during Iraqi Freedom.
Good experience
Aviation Mechanic (AM) (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CANovember 13, 2017
I loved serving in the Navy. It was tough but taught me valuable life skills and made me lifelong friends. The Navy trained me in a very good trade Aviation Mechanic and paid me a good salary. I would recommend the US Navy to anyone seeking good training and experience.
Pros
Good experience
Cons
Very demanding and hard work

Ask a question about working or interviewing at U.S. Navy. Our community is ready to answer.

4.4