U.S. Navy
9,444 reviews

U.S. Navy Employer Reviews

Navy
Cook/Security/Aeriographers Mate/Petty Officer (Former Employee), Oak Harbor, WAFebruary 25, 2015
Navy was fast paced and required discipline and hard work. Obtained several attributes from serving in the U.S. Navy, with hard work came great rewards.
People working together to achive great things.
Machinist Mate 3rd class petty officer (Current Employee), Norfolk, VAFebruary 24, 2015
Pros: free travel, benifts, a second family
Cons: long periods of time from home, high stress
A typical day at work can be stressful from not only the job at hand but also working along side co-workers of all ages from all different back rounds. The hardest thing I have come across is people that don't have an open mind to view things from a different perspective. It creates an obstacle in not only completing a job but the over all well being of the crew. the most enjoyable part of the job is the traveling and experience gained. I've learned multiple new skills and new techniques to complete jobs and transactions.
Assit military in air operations.
Flight Clearance (Current Employee), Yuma, AZFebruary 24, 2015
As a flight clearance specialist I am responsible for the following duties receiving and scheduling military flight plans, also detecting and reducing identified security threats to the airfield. I respond to threats, violations or potential violations and security incidents that happen on the airfield. Receive and process flight information on inbound and outbound flights. Monitors with the proper agencies, any overdue flights. Alerts crash crew for emergencies.
Tight community with motivated personal
Analyst, Shop Supervisor and Instructor (Former Employee), Jacksonville, FLFebruary 24, 2015
Pros: great health care for member and family, plus housing on base is free when available.
Cons: schedule can change over night and you can work odd hours. deployments are difficult at times.
I have loved my time in the navy. It was a great experience and I was able to do and see so many things. The moving around has become to difficult for me and I want to start rooting myself to a community. I am happy to suggest it to anyone who is considering working in the navy.
FUNDAMENTAL WORK ENVIORMENT
OPERATIONAL SPECIALIST (Former Employee), SAN DIEGO , CAFebruary 24, 2015
MY JOB WAS AN OPERATIONAL SPECIALIST. MY DUTIES WERE TO STAND WATCH AND AID IN THE NAVIGATION OF THE SHIP ACCORDING TO THE WINDS AND THE OCEANS CURRENTS. I ALSO HAD HAD TO PARTAKE IN FIRE WATCH AND I ALSO BECAME CPR QUALIFIED.
Life experieence is unmatched. Hard work and Dangerous on some levels
Administration Specialist (Current Employee), GlobalFebruary 24, 2015
Pros: godd benefits, world travel
Cons: away from family often, and pay is disproportionate to workload
It was a great experience culturally and as far as seeing the world. The work life balance was about 80/20 all work. It is not recommended for someone who is family oriented. The pay is not equal to the workload for enlisted active duty. I would recommend it to someone who has a degree and would be willing to enter military service as an Officer.
I was able well trained to do my job and I am very appreciative of that aspect of the time I spent on Active duty, but I am beginning to transition into a more family oriented person and I would like to be home more.
Travel, Diversity, Leadership, Honor, Courage, Commitment
Aviation Support Equipment Technician (Current Employee), Mayport, FLFebruary 24, 2015
Maintenance technician, extensive opportunity for leadership. I am a work center supervisor who manages my own work center and personnel.
Served my country proudly
Office Administrator (Former Employee), Norfolk, VAFebruary 24, 2015
Pros: everything
I will always cherish my time in the United States Navy. It was the best decision I have ever made. I learned a career, met awesome people, and got to travel. I would recommend the military for anyone who isn't quite sure what they want to do with their life.
great place to set the grounds for a great supervisor in the civilian world
Aviation Maintenance Admin (Former Employee), Oak Harbor, WAFebruary 24, 2015
Travel many places in the world and meet alot of really awesome people.
Learned a huge variety of skills that are great for transition to the civilian world.
The most incredible working environment!
Maintenance Department Leading Chief (Current Employee), EverywhereFebruary 24, 2015
Pros: opportunities
Cons: possible long periods away from family
Opportunities galore! Training galore! Words would never express the wonders of this job in it's entirety. You need to experience it for yourself. Join the United States Navy today!!
Electrician and Ship Scheduler
Nuclear Ships Scheduler (Former Employee), Bremerton, WAFebruary 24, 2015
Pros: constant challenges to learn new things.
Cons: could be overwhelming at times, with deadlines.
Enjoyed my career at the Puget Sound Naval Shipyard.
I learned a lot about the art of scheduling and how to work in project management.
A rewarding Experience
US Navy Senior Enlisted Leader (SEL)/BMTAC (Former Employee), Colorado Springs, COFebruary 24, 2015
Pros: helping people
Cons: long days
A typical day for me involves many management decisions. Every time I have to make those decisions it effects the people who work for me. For me that is the biggest learning tool anyone can have. If it weren't for my co-workers this job would be impossible. Their guidance is invaluable.
A stimulating job with a great team atmosphere
Aviation structural mechanic (Former Employee), Virginia Beach, VirginiaFebruary 24, 2015
Pros: good benefits, good advancement, traveling
Cons: at times 18 plus hour days
an exciting technical workplace with a professional team of trained and dedicated co- workers and friends Highly organized and motivated to accomplish measurable goals in a time sensitive manner
Great working experience
Petty Officer Second Class (Former Employee), Bremerton, WAFebruary 24, 2015
Serving the US Navy was a great experience and I took with me a whole sets of skill for which I am very thankful. This set of skill will help me achieve my goals in the near future.
military cook
Culinary Specialist (Former Employee), San Diego, CAFebruary 24, 2015
Pros: pride, service, recognition
Cons: extremely competitive advancement
I served in the Navy for 14 years as a culinary specialist. i separated after 14 years as an E-5. i supervised 23 personnel in the Navy's finest dining establishments. we prepared and served 18,000 meals daily.
GO NAVY
ELECTRONIC TECHNICIAN (Former Employee), USS BriscoeFebruary 24, 2015
Learned a lot and made some lifetime friends that will always be there for me. The navy gave me skills that I use to this day and I will never regret joining.
Interesting and fast paced environment with a lot of pros and cons.
Automotive mechanic; Hazmat representative (Former Employee), world wideFebruary 24, 2015
Pros: shooting weapons, driving and operating various military equipment, 30 days paid leave a year, free medical, free dental, free vision, free specialized training.
Cons: long times away from home in combat situations, constantly on call, required to relocate
Most don't understand this but a typical day in the military isn't much different from a typical day at work. Your higher ups are like your managers and their higher ups are like the ceos. there is a lot of down time but when it's time to work be ready because it can be hectic. the nice part though is you have people there to help you in a moments notice and can count on them having the same training and skills you have to accomplish the task at hand.
Its the military. Its a hard life sometimes.
Aviation Electronics Technician (Former Employee), Norfolk VirginiaFebruary 23, 2015
Pros: learn skills. education travel
Cons: hard schedules
Spent 6 years. Saw parts of the world people usually just read about. Made a few good friends. Not a good job for the newly married. I spent most of my time deployed.
Great experience
Training & Development (Former Employee), San Diego, CAFebruary 23, 2015
It was more then could be expected from a military job. I loved the travel and people. Of course deployments are hard and it was more work then imagined, but so much fun. This kind of job is what you make of it, but with hard work it is easy to climb the ladder.
It was the Navy
Nuclear Machinist's Mate (Surface) (Former Employee), Bremerton, WAFebruary 23, 2015
The job was terrible but rewarding. We deployed a lot. It set me up for a decent life outside of the Navy. I would go back in a heart beat because the job was so much more satisfying than anything I have found in the civilian sector.

About U.S. Navy

The US Navy maintains a variety of military equipment like ballistic missile submarines, aircraft carriers, surface warships, – Read more