U.S. Navy

11.1K reviews

U.S. Navy Employee Reviews

A good life experience
Construction Mechanic (Former Employee), Port Hueneme, CAJuly 27, 2015
Pros: Great education
Cons: Strict rutine
Being in the Navy helped me in countless ways. I was more physically fit then ever, and it taught great attention to detail. The education offered was great, and I learned much from both instructors and fellow students.
Challenging lifestyle
LOGISTICS SPECIALIST (Former Employee), Jacksonville, FlJuly 27, 2015
Pros: Great benefits! Travel! brotherhood!
Cons: away from family too long
Proud to once be apart of the Navy and serve with some great people! Once you adapt to the job it can be the best job in the world
Great learning experience
Crew Leader/Manager/ Crew Member (Former Employee), Port huenemeJuly 26, 2015
Working for the Navy is a great learning experience. Ample training is provided and advancement relies solely on the individual.
Professional and productive
Mechanic (Former Employee), WashingtonJuly 26, 2015
All Hands at work by a specific time.
Held morning meeting with my division to put out information and work for the day.
Worked or delegated tasks and had several tiers of leadership to manage.
Hardest part was entering the shipyard for an overhaul.
Loved the camaraderie, pride and going underway
Military Review
Information Systems Technician (Current Employee), Gulfport MSJuly 26, 2015
I was responsible for the maintenance of 300 computers and 500 user accounts as well as the external devices and peripherals for each system. I learned the value of team work and hard work. Management is sometimes inexperienced or not knowledgeable on the job at hand thus requiring more work to be done than necessary. The hardest part of the job was being away from my family. The most enjoyable part of the job was serving my country.
Job of a lifetime
Corrections Specialist /Supervisor (Former Employee), Japan, Hawaii, San DiegoJuly 26, 2015
The Navy provided many opportunities that some would not have if they don't enlist. Traveling the world, participating in joint exercises, having endless possibilities for advancements. Where else are you going to get a career like that?
Hard Work for an Engineer
Engineer (Former Employee), San DiegoJuly 26, 2015
Conduct regular maintenance on equipment, cleaning the boat, process reports for the oil testing. Keep tracking of platoon information an records for my department.

I learned how to manage my time and to mulit-task. Also learned how to do tune ups on Caterpillar 18.L Engines and preform proper maintenance on all equipment. I learned some good leadership skills from my peers around me and how to motivate individuals to keep a stable work environment.
Go Navy
Boatswains Mate, USS Lake Erie (Former Employee), Pearl Harbor, HIJuly 26, 2015
Pros: Very cool. Get to learn a lot
Cons: Hard work, not for the lazy or those looking for a hand-out
It is exactly what you think it is. Always looking for ways to protect and oversee the amazing citizens of the United States of America. A wonderful opportunity to protect the Constitution and the freedoms that only Americans enjoy.
United States Navy
Boatswain Mate (Former Employee), Charleston, SCJuly 26, 2015
Pros: Traveling and seeing the world.
Cons: Away at sea for lengths of time without being able to see family.
USN is one of the best outfits in the world. You work very hard and have the opportunity to be promoted from within. One gets the opportunity to see the world and truly sail the seven seas. As much as I enjoyed the Navy and its camaraderie my obligation was fulfilled and it was time to move on to the next venture.
Professional
Force Analyst (Current Employee), San Diego, CAJuly 25, 2015
Protective Services professional who brings 6 years experience working in Navy facilities. Executes each task with the
well-being of all citizens and government personnel in mind.
Military service
Electricians Mate (nuclear) and Supervisor (Former Employee), San Diego, CAJuly 25, 2015
Pros: Job stability
Cons: Low pay, unpredictable lifestyle
Pretty standard military service. Good benefits, low pay, lots of room for advancement and job security. Good for a short tour and then take the benefits and training elsewhere.
Military Police
Master at Arms (Former Employee), Groton, CTJuly 25, 2015
I did it but I wasn't a fan of where I was at.
Paid for some school not all, paid for medical stuff, stable job, unstable co-workers,
U.S. Navy
3rd Class Petty Officer (Former Employee), Norfolk, VAJuly 25, 2015
Pros: Seeing the world
Cons: Being away from family
Work depended on a day to day basis. Deployment daily work hours were around 17 hours per day, 7 days a week. Management was inconsistent. The hardest part of the job is the long hours and being away from family. The most enjoyable part of this job is being able to see the world.
Excellent Work Environment and Learning Experience
Religious Program Specialist (Former Employee), Quantico, VAJuly 25, 2015
Pros: medical insurance, life insurance, excellent work atmosphere
Cons: inconsistent work hours
I learned about various different religious views and how to properly cater to their needs. I also learned effective communication, customer service, and leadership skills. On a daily basis I would provide customer service, visit inmates in the brig, improve morale, provide religious services to over 1,000 people, handle over $4,000, and handle sensitive information. My coworkers were excellent to work with and had a vast knowledge of the field. The most enjoyable part of the job was serving the military community. The hardest part of the job was the inconsistent hours.
Training/Readiness Program Manager and Inspector (Current Employee), Washington, DCJuly 24, 2015
Pros: Advancement
Cons: Deployments
Cant beat the US NAVY! GO NAVY BEAT ARMY! Great benefits, and advancement opportunities! Be a part of the "big picture"!
Typical day of a Navy Seabee
Safety and Project Supervisor (Current Employee), Gulfport, MsJuly 24, 2015
Pros: Team building, professional atmosphere
Cons: The Navy has gone away with Quality Construction
Working hours consists of 0630 in the morning and project planning of potential projects throughout the day with a 30 min lunch and working hours ends 1530 on a typical day. Monday thru Friday. Once a week we have duty in which we have to guard Battalions Headquarters. We have 6 months a year where the Battalion focuses on training.

On deployment we work 12-16 hours a day Monday thru Saturday. If we fall behind on projects we work on Sundays. In Combat zones we work 7 days a week. Safety is our number 1 concern above project completion.
Great camaraderie among workers.
Machinist's Mate (Nuclear) 3rd Class (Former Employee), WorldwideJuly 24, 2015
Pros: Overall compensation
Cons: Long days
Working for the United States Navy will instill a great work ethic while among the lower ranks and provide an experience that can be obtained nowhere else in life. Certain aspects were very dynamic (management and priorities held by the management), while others where static (daily work/life routines).
The ends don't justify the means.
Maintenance Group Supervisor (Current Employee), Bremerton, WAJuly 24, 2015
Have you ever seen Shawshank Redemption? Being a Nuke is basically the same thing. Some people end up like Andy, and crawl through 500 yards of putrid waste and make it. Some end up like Brooks and get out and can't handle it. Some just aren't cut out. If you like the environment, work life balance and benefits of the Massachusetts prison system, the Navy is the place for you.
fun and relaxed environment
PHYSICAL THERAPY TECHNICIAN (Former Employee), camp lejeune NCJuly 24, 2015
Pros: fun, relaxed, positive environment
Cons: no cons
really loved working at naval hospital camp Lejeune in the Physical therapy department because my co workers and bosses were always relaxed and personable. we were to keep a good balance of fun and positivity that the patients seemed to thrive off of. our patients loved coming to physical therapy because we could get the job done and enjoy it while doing it. our patients could tell we loved what we did. loved that we had monthly hands on training and being able to shadow physical therapists on evals and on inpatient wards.
Navy Review
Postal Clerk/ Logistics Specialist - Annual Salary (Former Employee), Madison, WIJuly 24, 2015
I loved working for the Navy, I got to travel many places. The work was good it kept me busy and on my toes and I was always learning. I liked the people I worked with too, very diverse and sometimes learning curves but we all worked through them.
Headquarters