U.S. Navy Employee Reviews in United States

Found 14,170 reviews matching the search
Has Great Benefits
Petty Officer Second Class (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VANovember 10, 2015
Was overall a good experience. Got to see the world, help people in need and serve my country. Was stationed onboard an amphibious assault ship, got to take part in relief efforts, homeland security missions, and in national defense operations.

After sea duty was complete switched to a Naval Air Station. Worked in the taxiing aircraft, manifesting of passengers, and firefighting efforts. Was very relaxed and was given opportunities to volunteer in the community.
Pros
Education benefits, free healthcare, free travel
Cons
Disagree with the way advancement is done.
Navy Veteran
Career Counselor/Anti-terrorism Security (Former Employee) –  Annapolis, MDSeptember 28, 2015
Military life on active duty 8+years
Travelled the world
Interpersonal relations with diversity

The experience will vary for everyone. I am in the best shape of my life due to the lifestyle incorporated. The Navy will always be a fond memory of hard work, focus, and dedication. I worked on different platforms and did different jobs as a supervisor, career counselor and fitness leader. I also trained students. The hours are unlimited. It truly teaches one time management and a positive attitude. I pursued school while working but had to do so in between when I could so it was not the most consistent. Mission came first.
Pros
Travel, financial security, benefits
Cons
Overtime without compensation, Unbalanced promotion system, advancement varied
Would do it again
Hospital Corpsman (Former Employee) –  Allentown, PAMarch 18, 2016
Its the Navy..., good benefits, good pay, good room to advance, but deployments were difficult as you are away from your family. Definitely was a life changing experience.
Good start but has strings
Small Arms Instructor (Current Employee) –  Great Lakes, ILNovember 30, 2015
A lot of your career is based on luck with chain of command, if you have a supervisor( our E-7's) who is willing to look out for you then you can have great potential for advancement and learning. However if your chain of command does not look out for their workers, then its extremely hard to be recognized.
Pros
Lots of expericence in on the job training, helped out during holidays, steady pay, great benefits
Cons
Away from home constantly, mission first and family second, paid salary
Fast-paced tempo with unlimited growth potential
Aviation Electronics Technician/ Quality Assurance (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAOctober 20, 2015
I love working for the US Navy. The training and skills have given me a fantastic foundation to build on. A typical day at work in the Navy consists of what I call "controlled chaos". I was able to learn management skills that enabled me to complete all tasking with excellent results. The best part of the Navy is the people. The men and women that work together to achieve a common goal, are what make this Job worth all of the inherent stress. The hardest part of this Job is managing stress, long deployments, and having time for loved ones at home.
Pros
benefits, 30 vacation days per year, quality training
Cons
Stress, deployments, shortage of resources
Produective and Professional Enviroment
Yeoman (Administrator) (Current Employee) –  Silverdale, WAJanuary 22, 2016
Great on the job training, productive environment, good hours, great people, fast paced environment, patient and very knowledgeable supervisors, willing co-workers with great character. learned how to prioritize and effective time management
Pros
good pay and benefits
Challenging but Rewarding
Aviation Administration (Current Employee) –  Oak Harbor, WADecember 17, 2015
A typical day in the Navy depends on what your job is and if you are on deployment or not. On deployment, we work 12 hours a day everyday. No days off until we pull in to a port (happens about once a month). Life in the Navy is definitely not easy, but it makes you appreciate the small things in life. We work hard to make sure that the mission is accomplished.
Benefits
Cons
Family Seperation
Politics.
Nuclear Electricians Mate/Operations Specialist (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAJanuary 10, 2016
Politics are a major factor in many policies. There are many things that are done the way that they should be. It has changed a lot in the 9 yeas I was in and I was a little concerned with the changes I experienced.
Pros
Benefits.
Cons
Deployments, advancement, time for family.
Navy was not the greatest place to work
Team Leader (Former Employee) –  New Orleans, LAFebruary 2, 2016
The Navy offered a challenging position; however, the management would move people around and let them retain their seniority without having a real job.
benefits
Cons
promotions
Great place to grow up
Aviation Ordnanceman First Class (Former Employee) –  Willow Grove, PANovember 21, 2015
Awesome, rewarding place to grow up. I started at age 17 and retired at age 38. Met wonderful people along the way and my wife. Raised my family and protected this great nation. Had a great job working with ordnance and aircraft, getting to shoot weapons and see exciting places overseas. Everyone should enlist or go officer to get the experience and pride.
Pros
excitement, travel, awesome equipment, great people
Cons
war, leaving family behind, loss of shipmates, constant inspections
Service
Hospital Corpsman (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAFebruary 4, 2016
Military service is not for every one but it was right for me at the time and now I am broadening my horizons and looking forward to continue the leadership and values that the Navy instilled in me and carry them on into the civilian sector.
Pros
Benefits, culture, people
Cons
Hours (sporadic)
Good Company
Intelligence Specialist - Imagery (Current Employee) –  Springfield, VAMarch 20, 2016
Great place to work and plenty of opportunities. No limits on what one can achieve. Take advantage of what is offered because the benefits are great.
Great place to work!
Department Manager (Former Employee) –  Port Hueneme, CAFebruary 2, 2016
Good place to learn leadership skills, get a college degree, and learn technical skills. If you work hard advancement is available fairly quickly. Many benefits!
Hard working industrial environment
Electrician, USS Oklahoma City (Former Employee) –  Agana Heights, GUJanuary 2, 2016
A self-motivated work ethic is a must. Potential 16 hour work days require a level of commitment to job completion I found unparalleled in any previous employment. The hardest part of the job was the inability of some superiors to take into consideration new ideas of subordinates, while the most enjoyable part of the job was the job satisfaction of completing a large scale project.
Benefits
Awesome
Machinist Mate Second Class, USS Cape St. George (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAMarch 24, 2016
fast paced environment, accelerate your life! great expierence and benefits. a lot of life ling friends gained! AWESOME!
benefits
Cons
hours
It has many perks.
Aviation Machinist Mate (Former Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VAFebruary 10, 2016
Work schedule is long considering there is a salary, but otherwise I enjoyed myself thoroughly while I was in. Definitely worth the experience.
Pros
money, job security
Cons
advancment low, no overtime pay
Challenging place to work
Ordnance Leading Chief Petty Officer (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAJanuary 26, 2016
Squadron environments are never easy but serving the Navy was fulfilling and benefits were outstanding. A new challenge every day with a great group of dedicated Sailors.
Pros
Service to the Navy
Cons
The people are great, and it is fun, but they could work on being more organized and efficient.
Information Systems Technician (Current Employee) –  Perrysburg, OHNovember 1, 2015
The navy is a nice place to work. I have learned many things from the navy, from learning how to be more responsible to getting my Comptia A+ certification. There are a few things that i don't like. At my drill it seems like we waste a lot of time, i feel like we could be doing more during our days to make better use of our time, be it fixing computers or even working out. I also do not like how unorganized the navy is. They told me when i first got into the navy to make copies of everything that i get. Which is a great tip in general, but they told me that because they tend to lose paper work.
Pros
Great benefits, good people, free subway for lunch.
Cons
Unorganized.
Personnel Specialist First Class Petty Officer
Personnel Specialist (Former Employee) –  Naval Station MayportOctober 21, 2015
Provide enlisted people with information and counseling related to Navy occupations, opportunities for general education and job training, requirements for promotion, and rights and benefits. Maintains and audits pay and personnel records of military personnel. Determine military pay, travel entitlements, and deductions.Prepare the financial/accounting reports related to individual pay and travel transactions and operate associated accounting systems. Also assist enlisted personnel and their families with special problems or personal hardships.
Alright work atmosphere
Intelligence/Data Analyst (Former Employee) –  Doral, FLFebruary 22, 2016
Can be stressful depending on job and location, but has some nice benefits that come with serving in the Armed Forces. The best benefit that I've used so far is 36 months of free college with a housing stipend for where ever you want to go.

4.4