U.S. Navy
10,726 reviews

U.S. Navy Employee Reviews

Awesome Job
Air Traffic Control Second Class Petty Officer (Former Employee), Kingsville, TexasJune 18, 2015
I loved the Navy and spent a lot of time there because I could get so much accomplished in a day. I learned a lot about people and life. My co-workers changed often, but they were from all over. Hardest part was being away from my family. The most enjoyable part was seeing the world and what it has to offer.
It's the military
Nuclear Machinist Mate (Former Employee), Norfolk, VAJune 18, 2015
Pros: Healthcare, Federal Job, Cultural Diversity
Cons: work to home life limited based on your job
Highly demanding, very well organized, advancement available, management changes as the duty assignment changes. Highly diverse culture from all around the country and territories.
Alright
Electronics Technician 2nd Class (E5) (Former Employee), GuamJune 18, 2015
Pros: GI Bill, tuition assistance
Cons: Constantly cleaning, standing watch, galley food, supervisors, drills
I enjoyed the technical part of my job. It was the additional stresses that I felt like I was underpaid for. Most of the time I felt like a professional janitor with the amount of cleaning we did.
Time spent in the navy was a valuable experience.
Navy Nuclear Electrician (Former Employee), Norfolk, VirginiaJune 18, 2015
It was a good start for my life and I have gained job experience throughout my time spent in the service. I've had good and bad supervisors and been through good and bad times at work but am currently moving on in life and looking for a career to get started in.
Outstanding Career.
Sonar Technician Third Class (Former Employee), San Diego, CaJune 18, 2015
Pros: Traveling to different countries.
While enlisted in the Navy, the most enjoyable part of the job was the travel, the people, and the work. I earned leadership skills as well as management skills. I worked with many people of different backgrounds.
See the World.
Avionics Supervisor (Current Employee), Oceana, VAJune 18, 2015
The Navy is a very good organization. If you like to travel, meet different people and experience life, then you've come to the right place.
Great way to start a career
Journalist First Class (Former Employee), Washington, D.C.June 18, 2015
Pros: Great travel, people; supportive training, working environment
Cons: unless on vacation, you work 24/7
• Trained non-technical end users to utilize Avid Media Composer video editing software.
• Instructed subordinates to use Sony Umatic format and Betacam SP video cameras.
• Operated and advised others in the use of professional grade Grass Valley Production and on-air switchers to broadcast programs to a local and global audience.
• Installed and used desktop publishing software for the publication of a weekly newspaper.
fun time operating construction equipment
Equipment Operator (Current Employee), Gulfport, MSJune 18, 2015
my time in the active duty side of the military was great. I loved operating construction equipment and I would recommend join the military, with that being said though the military isn't for everyone. decide carefully
Fun and great group of people
Environmental, Safety & Health Specialist (Former Employee), Virginia Beach VAJune 18, 2015
Awesome experience. I miss it! Had a blast and got to see the world. Would go back in a heart beat. Being on an aircraft carrier is the most satisfying and exciting job you could ever have.
Very rewarding experience
Personnel Specialist (Former Employee), Washington , DCJune 18, 2015
Pros: Great team setting
Cons: Very little time with family
Since the Navy is not just a job but a way of life its difficult to break the experience down but it was overall rewarding and I am a better professional because of it.
Great work environment with great education
Utilitiesman/Project Maintenance Manager (Former Employee), Gulf Port MS 39501June 18, 2015
Pros: great advancements
Cons: deployments
I spent 10.5 years in the navy and worked in maintenance department great experience had a great time i learned a trade and was able to use it as a Maintenance supervisor
Military
Engineman 2nd Class (Former Employee), Jacksonville, FLJune 18, 2015
Pros: Healthcare and benefits
Cons: social life is awful
Its the military, you have to experience it to understand. It is very time consuming and it is not for every person. Work days can be very long and your family suffers.
Navy
Aviation Maintenance Administrator (Former Employee), Oak HarborJune 18, 2015
Joining the United States Navy can be a life changing and enhancing experience, if you are willing to work hard, show up to work on time, and be a squared away sailor you will go far in the Navy
Great benifits and learned new things everyday
Culinary Specialist Third Class Petty Officer (Former Employee), for tworth, texas 76127June 18, 2015
Pros: The people I worked with were friendly
Cons: working long hours
Got to learn about everyones background cultures, learned new things everyday, management kept yo to date with inventory, I got to do alot of volunteer work in different organizations
GO Navy
N/A (Former Employee), N/AJune 18, 2015
Pros: Go Navy
Cons: N/A
Solid work enviroment, you know what to expect every day and always room for growth. having job security is not an issue. management is very structured
Wonderful Experience
Electronics Technician (Former Employee), Norfolk, VAJune 18, 2015
Pros: healthcare
Cons: long hours at sea, family life cut short.
I learned so much as a person and developed skills that I will attend for life. I never thought that I would be on a Naval Vessel and repairing parts vital to a mission for my country, and yet it happened and I would never change it for anything. The new culture was rewarding as well as the hard work and dedicated time to the crew life. The hardest part of working in the Navy was the long hours of watch, at random hours when normally sleeping. It took time to adjust but eventually it was just apart of my routine. The most enjoyable part of this job was meeting new people and learning how to be a sailor. I met life long friends and my future husband. I have gained so much from this experience and will always look back on it as one of the most wonderful experiences of my life.
A great life experience!!
Engineman Petty Officer (E4) (Former Employee), Little Creek, VAJune 18, 2015
Pros: travel the world. Meet great people.
Cons: Away from Home and Family for long periods of time.
Boot camp is hard but working in the fleet it gets better. It give you many different kinds of training that you will use for the rest of life. How to communicate and work with total strangers, on the job training, Chain of command And enjoy your free time.
It's not just a job, it's your entire life.
Hospital Corpsman (Former Employee), Marine Corps Base Camp Lejeune, North CarolinaJune 18, 2015
Pros: Too many to list
Cons: Too many to list
As a Sailor in the US Navy, it is impossible not to dedicate every aspect of your life to your job. Even if you're not at work, you must remember that how you act in your personal life can have a direct, and sometimes lasting, effect on your career.

Being a Hospital Corpsman in the Navy meant that, many times, it was early mornings and late nights. It meant constantly bettering myself through classroom education as well and hands on experience. It was physically taxing and mentally draining and when the time came, I was more than ready to leave the Navy and move on to other things, but that doesn't mean I regret any of it. I will never look back at my time in the Navy and not feel an overwhelming sense of pride.

I was given the opportunity for leadership early on and I worked with some of the greatest human beings anyone would be lucky to meet. I had many leaders and mentors during my 10+ year enlistment, some left no impact on me, while others I still seek out for support and advice in both my personal and professional life.

Joining the Military is never something someone should consider lightly. It's life changing, terrifying, and sometimes heartbreaking. But, if you decide to join, you will be putting yourself among some of the worlds most elite men and women who share a passion to serve the country that they love so dearly.
An alright job if you don't know what you're doing
Logistic Specialist (Former Employee), Tracy, CAJune 18, 2015
This job should be your last resort job if you do not know what you can do in life. Otherwise go to school and get your degree
Daily job performance
Aviation Electronics Technician (Former Employee), Oak Harbor, WAJune 17, 2015
Directed a staff of minimum of 5 personnel focused on maintaining, troubleshooting, and repairing electronic communication systems, flight management systems, navigation, and satellite communication systems, repair and reclamation, inspections. As Shift Supervisor, responsible for ensuring the safety and flight-readiness of heavy aircraft, defining work priorities and schedules for teams while maintaining essential documentation and paperwork.

About U.S. Navy

Imagine working with the most awe-inspiring equipment and technology the world has ever seen. Making your living as a rescue swimmer – Read more

U.S. Navy Salaries