U.S. Navy

11.3K reviews

U.S. Navy Employee Reviews

Fun group of individuals from all different backgrounds
Construction Mechanic (Current Employee), St. Louis, MOAugust 21, 2015
Pros: Finding common ground with individuals, coming together as a whole to accomplish a mission, traveling, and the training.
Cons: Not a lot of room for advancement
A typical day starts off with PT followed by a muster. The next thing to happen is a list of meetings and any words passed down from higher chain of command. Once the appropriate people are aware of their meetings and times, we then go into training via computer or we train using the white board and a Certified Facilitator. During training, if needed, individuals also check on existing Order applications or deadlines on Certifications.
I have learned to work well with a team while also ensuring that I keep myself up to date on all Certifications, training, and travel information for training purposes. I have learned to use a number of different programs that are used to help the Navy run better as a whole.
Management is supervising us as individuals, grooming their younger sailors to become leaders but ensuring that it is done in a proper manner. They make sure that all paperwork is done correctly and finished in a timely manner.
My coworkers and I all get along very well. We see each other outside of work when time is available, we check each others paperwork for mistakes, and we make it easy for new individuals to approach us with any questions they may have.
Hardest part of the job is having to keep up with the numerous changes that the Military is making with each program. Having to keep up with changes that come so rapidly can prove to be a challenge but not one that has ever kept me from advancing.
The most enjoyable part of the job is being able to work so fluidly with the group as a whole. Seeing how building yourself up to be a vital part of the mission and watching as it comes together is a probably my favorite part of it all, followed closely by the training and traveling.
Amazing Company
Department Administrator (Former Employee), Groton, CTAugust 21, 2015
UNITED STATES NAVY, GROTON, CT
Department Administrator, Jan 2011 – Mar 2012
 Played pivotal role in fast-moving military environment, providing executive level support for "two" high-ranking naval
officials. Directly responsible for performing all administrative program and technical work to support operations of three
submarine squadrons, 15 nuclear submarines, support fleet, and a manning of over 1200 Sailors and 300 civilian and
Department of Defense contract workers
 Coordinated all administrative operational activities, with wide latitude on those activities requiring federal and naval consid -
eration, clearance, inter-staff coordination and determination for decision-making by all required department heads
Submarine Fire Control Technician, Oct 2008 – Jan 2011
 Responsible for all operational and administrative aspects of the submarine's computer and control mechanisms used in
weapons systems and related programs
 Perform organizational and intermediate level maintenance on submarine combat control systems and equipment, and associated
test equipment including tactical computer systems and peripherals
 Received and implemented combat orders and directed deployment of personnel in offensive, defensive and retrograde
operations. Developed and maintained the divisions daily personnel accountability report for entire weapons department.
Trained hundreds of peers and subordinates on basic submarines operations
A Typical Day At Work
Recruit Yeoman (Former Employee), Great Lakes, IlAugust 20, 2015
Pros: Three meals, dental, medical, insurance
Cons: Training evolutions
A typical day in the United States Navy was surprising. No matter what you always met somebody new. Not knowing that you have the same job as the next person it becomes easy to build the team spirit. Dealing with personalities is apart of all jobs, but in that environment you are willingly to take your emotions out the equation and continue operating as one machine.
Porductive
Machinist Mate (Former Employee), FPO/AEAugust 20, 2015
Pros: n/a
Cons: n/a
Workplace and people were great. Benefits were great. I learned a lot about engineering and ship propulsion. The benefits were the best part, everything else was alright...
Productive workplace
Logistics Supervisor (Former Employee), Chesapeake, VAAugust 20, 2015
On a typical workday it was very busy yet productive. When first starting in the field, I knew right away that this was something that I would enjoy doing.
Great stepping stone
Security Reaction Force Team Member/Leader (Former Employee), Norfolk, VAAugust 20, 2015
Pros: Healthcare, advancement, travel
Cons: Long time away from family, food
Great for anyone without motives and needs to learn about different cultures and work with different people. Supportive chain of command when they are needed. Traveled to many different countries.
What i learned
Hospital Corpsman Second Class (Former Employee), VariousAugust 20, 2015
I learned a lot of the past 14 years in the Navy. I've met some of the nicest people and come of my closest friends. I wouldn't change the experience for anything.
Military
Machinist Mate 3rd Class, CVN75 Reactor Department (Former Employee), Norfolk VAAugust 20, 2015
Pros: You can save a lot of money while on deployment
Cons: Only thing around you is the ocean
Military active duty means just that. you are obligated to fullfill the terms of the contract that you have signed with the federal government. My duty station was a deployable air craft career. We deployed on schedule and supported the needs of our country as the Ships Captain seen fit.
Fun exciting work environment.
Emergency Medical Technician (Former Employee), Camp Pendelton, CAAugust 20, 2015
Pros: Guaranteed Pay, excellent medical and dental, lots of travel
Cons: Long hours, time away from family
Fun knowledgeable people, easy learning schedules, ever changing environment, fast and slow paced work days, great benefits for school and jobs after being associated with Military.
Disciplined and Life Changing Workplace
Seaman Recruit - Navy SEAL Contract (Former Employee), Great Lakes, ILAugust 20, 2015
Pros: Camaraderie
Cons: Not much freedom
I was with the Navy for only a short period until a medical condition out of my control forced me to leave. I loved it. The discipline and mental toughness it takes were new challenges to me that forced me to grow and become a better person. I learned that attention to detail is everything and that you are never above your teammates. You must be a driven person to wake up every day and take on the challenges head-on if you want to succeed. The most satisfying aspect of the job was the brotherhood and camaraderie that was built.
I joined the Navy after graduating high school and I really didn't know what to expect.
Aviation Boatswain's Mate Handler (Former Employee), Norfolk Va.August 20, 2015
Pros: You get to meet people and visit countries you never thought would be possible.
Cons: You spend a lot of time away form your family
I enjoyed being in the Navy I visited countries I never would have seen if I hadn't been in the Navy. I am glad I joined I just regret not staying in and doing more.
Petty Officer
E4, Petty Officer 3rd Class (Former Employee), VirginiaAugust 19, 2015
Good branch to work for. I learned many new trades while in this branch. The pay is not so good but, you do receive other benefits that make up for that.
Interesting Place to work
Electronic Technician (Former Employee), San Diego, CAAugust 19, 2015
Pros: Healthcare
Cons: The Hours
Learned a lot about the field of Electronics and Leadership. The Navy taught me everything from history to patience and more
Productive and time consuming
Military Policeman (Current Employee), Fallon, NVAugust 19, 2015
Working in the Navy has given me a lot of work experience in Security and as a Training supervisor. Everyone doesn't work all that great together because are from all around the world but we do get the job done and that's all that matters.
Great Job
Engineman 2nd Class, Machinist Mate 1st Class (Former Employee), WorldAugust 19, 2015
Pros: Steady job, Good experience, A Brotherhood.
Cons: Deployments, Unstable Schedule
I loved the Navy, Looking at going back into the Reserves soon once I lose a little weight. Would recommend everyone do at least 4 years.
stressfull, more work then pay
boatswain mate (Current Employee), seattleAugust 18, 2015
Unprofessional supervisors and chain of command. Required to work long hours , not equivalent to pay salary. Unfair and favoritism with certain people.
A great education with adventure as an added bonus.
Work Center Supervisor (Former Employee), Norfolk, VAAugust 18, 2015
In port, a normal work day schedule was followed, focusing on training, major repairs if needed, watch-standing, and loading of needed supplies, allowing precious time with family and friends. At sea, a rotation shift was followed. Watch-standing, preventative maintenance, training, and drills were the norm. Off duty time was spent on personal activities. Separation from family and friends was the most difficult to deal with, away for extended periods of time. The best part was the ability to visit many places around the globe, interacting with diverse cultures and people.
A rewarding experience
2nd class petty officer (Former Employee), San DiegoAugust 18, 2015
worked and lived on a ship, maintaining and repairing communication equipment and leading fellow sailors. Honorable discharged
rewarding work if you're a patriot, can be extremely demanding
journalist (Former Employee), worldwideAugust 18, 2015
Pros: allowances for food, housing, uniforms, and medical benefits the best
Cons: sacrificing family time, long periods away from home, pay
must drink the kool aid to buy into this culture. not for the faint of heart. sacrifice is part of the expectation: privacy, family time, individualism...
no two days are alike and most offer plenty of challenge.
HIGH SCHOOL
Machinist Mate (Current Employee), bangor, waAugust 18, 2015
It has a real high school feel probably because most of those enlisted came straight from high school. So there's still a lot of immaturity all the way up the chain of command.
Headquarters