U.S. Navy Employee Reviews in United States

Found 13,925 reviews matching the search
Miss it every day
Data Systems Technician (E5 Rank), Instructor (Former Employee) –  Newport, RIJuly 14, 2016
There is no typical day in the Navy. From fixing the tactical computer systems to line handling to firefighting. I would recommend the US Navy to anyone
Pros
See the World, Education and experiences
Cons
separation from lovedones
Very safe work place
U.S. Navy Police (Current Employee) –  Bronx, NYJuly 14, 2016
A typical day at work is very fast paced. What I learned is team work and how to deal with different personalities. Some managers are better then others, it depends on that persons style.
My co-workers are great to work with and have a lot of experience.
The hardest part of the job is starting off brand new and having to prove yourself all over again when you go to a new command and learning the new people that you are working with.

The most enjoyable part of my job is working with different people and learning from them.
Pros
gaining knowledge.
Cons
!8 to 20 hour days
Bad Leadership
Aviation Machinist Mate (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJuly 14, 2016
Bad leadership brings down everyone. The navy is full of it. Its like high school times 10. Long hours. pugpiu;gjlhj'f;cjg;kjk
Awesome experiance working with different people,and a/c
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLJuly 14, 2016
I have so enjoyed all my commands and time in the navy I love new challenges, troubleshooting, diversity of the job. honor serving and I want to work for company that will me helping defend our great nation and families.
Pros
people
Cons
time away from family
Unforgettable Experience
Warehouse Supervisor (Former Employee) –  New Orleans, LAJuly 13, 2016
The US Navy is an organization with unlimited areas of advancement. You control your destiny; the sky's the limit. You meet people from various parts of the country and visit extraordinary destinations. The hardest part of this adventure is the time spent away from family. But the transferable skills and experience gained makes up for the time away.
Pros
Excellent Benefits
Cons
Family Separations
Productive and constructive
Human Resources Service Liaison (Former Employee) –  Fort Gordon, GAJuly 13, 2016
Teaches you how to survive in the real world. Prepares you for real life events. I was taught how to save lives. The downside is your always away from you family.
life changing in every aspect.
Technician and supervisor (Former Employee) –  WorldJuly 13, 2016
I meet some really good people and did and seen some exciting things over a 14 year career with the Navy. I enjoyed everyday that I was active duty and the friendships I made.
Pros
diverse skills, different people, strong leadership, wealth of knowledge
Cons
long hrs, away from family for extended periods of time, some living conditions.
its the military
Aviation Ordnanceman Technician (Former Employee) –  Lemoore, CAJuly 13, 2016
long days and long hours are expected, with rotating on call weekends and moving around the country every so often.
benefits
US Navy
Mass Communication Specialist (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJuly 13, 2016
Not a great place to work. On paper, it looks great. In reality, its not somewhere you would want to work for 20 minutes, let alone 20 years.
Pros
GI Bill
Cons
Everything else you do for the GI Bill
Administrative Assistant
ABH/Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bremerton, WAJuly 12, 2016
Great teamwork. Constant customer service being with diverse cultures. Most enjoyable part of the job was being among excellent staff members that were reliable and a joy to be around.
Awesome
Aviation Structural Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Bremerton, WAJuly 12, 2016
It Got me out and allowed me to travel the world. I met some amazing people and worked with many different people. I learned things i would of never thought possible.
Hoped for a normal day.
Machinist Mate((SS) Third Class (Former Employee) –  Kings Bay, GAJuly 12, 2016
On an old boat as a Machinist Mate SS(submarines), I along with the division had more than a fair share of things to be done. Along with daily cleaning, daily operations, and watch standing you were seeing at least 12 hours a day. If the command decided there was information or training that needed to be done, you were also apart of that. A normal day however was a good day, because when things weren't working out neither was your sleep for the night. I've worked on 2-4 hours of sleep a lot, and if I had to do it again I would, it was an honor to serve.
Pros
The food was amazing. The health preps for underway were good too.
Cons
Not enough trained people to give us enough break time.
Leadership
Public Health Technician (Former Employee) –  Groton, CTJuly 12, 2016
In the US Navy you learn about yourself and what you are capable of accomplishing under a very challenging environment. Everyday is a different day to be productive and communicate with your coworkers and leadership.
Good and Bad
Electronics Technician (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJuly 12, 2016
Learned a lot and gained new experiences. However I could not work in the environment I was given, instead of moving me to another environment (and saving all the money the Navy had already spent on me) I was separated and only given 2 months to prepare.
Enjoyable
Builder (Former Employee) –  Gulfport, MS 39503July 12, 2016
Best part of my career was being in the Navy. Enjoyed the people, travel and the experience.

I learned how to build, maintain calendars, appointments and base issues.

The hardest part was missing family. But the most enjoyable was being able to accomplish goals that were set for the jobs that we had to do.
Challenging environment
Nuclear Electrican's Mate (Current Employee) –  Portsmouth, VAJuly 12, 2016
You are part of a bigger picture that will lose sight of who you are. Promotion is dependent on what job field you are in, not how hard you work.
Pros
gauranteed pay check
Cons
Never seeing your family
Time Spent was well worth it!
Maintenance Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAJuly 12, 2016
Serving in the United States Navy was one of my greatest accomplishments to date. The experience gained as a team member as well as a Leader was phenomenal! I am grateful for the opportunity to be a part of such an organization that promoted excellence as well motivation to obtain any goal set forth.

The leadership pushed you to be your best and that is vital in today's employment market.
Pros
Co-workers, travel opportunities, pay
Cons
long hours, deployments
Loved the Job
LCPO (Former Employee) –  Whidbey Island Naval Air Station, WAJuly 12, 2016
Spent 22 years, spending most of my time deployed. spent time in Japan, and had 12 years sea duty. I have seen many changes and faced many challenges in my time. it was a very rewarding experience that taught may many lessons.
Pros
service to country
Cons
deployments
No comment
Training Department Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Port Hueneme, CAJuly 12, 2016
Builders may work in a variety of conditions, independently or as members of a large team. Their many different duties may be performed in climates ranging from desert to arctic and enjoy every minute of it. sometimes the work load becomes tedious but its worth while.
The best decision I made in my Life
Yeoman First Class (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJuly 12, 2016
To start, there are no typical days in the Military. Everyday is different. From the time I graduated from boot camp to the time I reported to my first assignment, it was an adventure. I learned and acquired more skills in my time on active duty, then I would have had I not enlisted into the Navy. The most difficult part of the job was being away from loved ones for an extended period of time and the long work days.
Pros
Travels the world
Cons
Can be extremely political at times

4.4