U.S. Navy
10,767 reviews

U.S. Navy Employee Reviews

Tremendous learning experience
Work Center Supervisor/ Chief Engineer (Former Employee), Coronado, CAJune 24, 2015
A typical day at this job was managing different work crews, inspecting and maintaining the engines of the boats and purchasing tools and supplies. I learned about organization and responsibility.
Great place to travel while serving your country!
Training Officer (Former Employee), Norfolk, VAJune 24, 2015
A typical day in the United States Navy was very fast paced and productive. From the time we stepped foot on the ship or shop and from the time we left was work. Our days were very exhausting but rewarding to able to serve our country. There were amazing individuals I had the pleasure of working with. Although we came from different walks of life we still built strong and lasting friendships. The hardest part of the job was having to be away from family while on deployment. The most enjoyable part of the job was being able to serve my country and the people!
U.S Navy
Yeoman (Current Employee), Meridian, MSJune 23, 2015
Loved every minute of it. Typical off by 4pm. My superiors were great , very helpful. Best thing about my job , my shipmates.
Very chalenging job, lots of fun
Division Production Control Supervisor (Former Employee), Virginia Beach, Va.June 23, 2015
Pros: Secured job
Cons: Long hours
. Enjoy everyday at work
. Learned different cultures
. Good chain of command
. Loved the teamworks
. Pressure from the Chain Of Command
. Very proud I served the country
It was a learning experience
Master at Arms (Former Employee), Covington, GAJune 23, 2015
There were alot of different things done at the different duty stations, but mostly i did everyday law enforcement. I learned a lot of discipline and respect. The management was very disorganized most the time but overall they looked out for the best interest of their sailors. There is a variety of people from all different places who each bring a unique factor to the workplace with ideas and things that can improve everyday work conditions. The hardest part of the job was working over 60 hours a week with no compensation for my extra efforts. the most enjoyable part of the job was serving my country and being a role model to kids that saw me in uniform, and giving my part to making this great country even greater.
Excellent
Seaman Recruit (Former Employee), Great Lakes, ILJune 23, 2015
I loved every second I was in the Navy, up until I was sent home. Most day's we'd start with Physical Training (working out), then we would clean the compartment, and usually thereafter we would go to class.
Current and previous positions
Executive Officer and Program Manager (Current Employee), Navy Operational Support Center Kansas CityJune 23, 2015
Pros: Off fridays
Cons: Spend a lot of time behind a desk.
Executive Officer and Program Manager at Navy Operational Support Center Kansas City 0730 to 1600 work hours. More than half of the day is spent sitting behind a desk. Off every Friday and work one weekend a month. Managed facility and personnel.

Department Head and Division Officer onboard USS Dewey (DDG-105): 0645 to 1700 working hours Monday thru Sunday. Long working hours and many rewarding months spent away from home. Traveled the world and made life long friends with some very capable and intelligent co-workers. Structured days but every day was different presenting new and different challenges.
Great experience
Collateral Duty Inspector (Former Employee), paJune 23, 2015
I was able to learn so much from working in the U.S. Navy. I was able to better myself and learn discipline as well as skills that i have been able to use in every day life.
Normal military organization
Senior Paralegal (Former Employee), U. S. NavyJune 23, 2015
worked with a diverse group of people
working together to reach a goal as a team
dependability on one another
work place knowledge
good morale
Diverse and Life changing Experience
Career Manager (Current Employee), Norfolk, VAJune 23, 2015
One of the greatest opportunities I've ever had! Received a lot of hands on experience. Traveled the world. Met a lot of great people supervisors and subordinates. Learned first-hand how to handle situations correctly under stressful circumstances.
Interesting
Medical Support Assistant (Former Employee), San Diego CAJune 23, 2015
Pros: Great 401k and medical benefits
Cons: Short lunch breaks, reduction in force
Working as a civilian employee for the US Navy was different. You meet a lot of interesting people from different backgrounds. There's a lot to learn but can be somewhat repetitive depending on what your job duties entail.
One of a kind job that alows you to see the world.
Radar Lead Technician (Former Employee), Jacksonville, FLJune 23, 2015
Pros: pay and benefits
Cons: High tempo and travel
Learned almost everything I know from the united states navy and am very appreciative of the opportunity. Completed almost 2 years of training with the Navy.
Hard yet rewarding work defines the United States Navy.
Information Systems Technician (Former Employee), Norfolk, VAJune 23, 2015
Pros: Medical and Dental benefits, job security
Cons: 24 hour duty
Spending 9 months on board a Naval warship, in the middle of the hot and sweaty North Arabian Gulf or the Gulf of Oman can, at first, seem like the worst place on earth. The work days are long and the pace is non-stop. Twelve on, twelve off, fifteen on, eight off, eighteen on, five off; these are the typical work hours on a deployment. But, the vast knowledge and discipline one attains at the end of the day is invaluable.

As an Information Systems Technician in the Navy, work can get pretty monotonous with the seemingly endless amount of maintenance and paperwork that has to be completed on a daily basis. However, when you realize that you've just rebuilt a LINUX or Windows server from scratch, mitigated a security threat, discovered suspicious behavior in the DNS or Data Loss Prevention logs, patched your systems to 100% compliance, brought Exchange or DHCP services back up, or even successfully re-wired 200 or 300 computers, it's all worth it.

You won't always like who you work with, but the Navy has a way of dealing with this. We are always taught, that even though we may have our differences, we aren't working for ourselves but are working so that others may have peace, freedom and comforts not afforded to anyone else in the world and that the mission, whatever it may be, gets accomplished to the fullest. Some may consider these things to be cliche, but this ideal stands firms at the core of every sailor.

The most difficult part of the job would have to be the living conditions. A Naval warship is definitely not a luxury cruise line. You may not always have working toilets or water. The beds are hard as work and there isn't a whole lot of room for anything but you get used to it.

To counteract the hardest part of the job, the most enjoyable part would have to be, besides a job well done, the port visits. On a deployment, you get the privilege of visiting places most people in the world have never seen. It's definitely better than television.
A career well worth it
Administration Officer (Former Employee), EverywhereJune 23, 2015
I began everyday by working out, I leaned valuable communication, conflict resolution and organization skills as well a man others. My management team was very helpful in assisting me in growth throughout my career and my coworkers became like an extended family. The hardest part of my job was leaving my loved ones behind the most enjoyable part was experiencing multiple cultures and learning about them.
Challenges and numerous opportunities for professional development.
Project Manager/Financial Officer (Current Employee), Arlington VAJune 23, 2015
Very enjoyable experience. Lots of opportunities to do meaningful work that impacts the Department of Defense. Managed multiple projects at once due to my track record of overcoming roadblocks, seizing opportunities and seeing work through to completion. As the Financial Officer I had to recreate all of the financial processes since this role had not been filled for a few years.
navy life
Interior Communications Petty Officer Third Class (Former Employee), jacksonvilleJune 23, 2015
Pros: benefits
Cons: hours
deploying all the time. you got cussed at for everything you did wrong and everything you did right. very biased to certain people. military lifestyle is a wolfpit lifestyle
Very competitive and diverse learning opportunities
Cryptologic Technician Technical (Former Employee), JPHJune 22, 2015
Pros: diverse learning environment
Cons: Stressful work environment
morning meetings, then cleaning of work space. Morning and afternoon equipment maintenance, inspections, lunch break. more meetings and training. stand operational watch. gym time, dinner and sleep.

I learned how to manage a diverse group of people and how to prioritize work.

Management was fair but firm

Learned how to work with a diverse group of people from different backgrounds

hardest part of the job was the long work hours and extreme working conditions

Most enjoyable part of the job was the many interesting places that I traveled to around the world
Great experience.
SPECIAL COLLECTIONS ANALYST / SGA (Former Employee), coronado, caJune 22, 2015
Pros: great training/experience, travel, and job security.
Cons: Not very efficient with manpower and priorities are out of order.
I learned many great things and new skills that were not used to their full potential. In my experience it seems as though the surface Navy is more focused on getting as much money for their budget then actually doing their mission. With SOF it was very different, we all wanted to do our job and didn't care to much about the budget. With NSW we were held back with rules and limitations instead of letting us do our job.
Best Experience I've had in my life
Undesignated Seaman/ Hull Maintence Technician (Former Employee), U.S.S. Abraham Lincoln , Newport NewsJune 22, 2015
The navy is a great and learning experience. There are ups and downs, but the best part about that is that you learn and gain knowledge from those ups and downs.
Give and take
Senior Aviation Electronic Technician (Former Employee), United StatesJune 22, 2015
Pros: Stability
Cons: Lot of timed sacrificed from your family
The Navy expects you to give them 100% effort and become a leader and teacher. In return they give you the best benefits and security that one could hope for. Many who may have not had a chance in the civilian world, find that they can excel here and make a difference.

About U.S. Navy

Imagine working with the most awe-inspiring equipment and technology the world has ever seen. Making your living as a rescue swimmer – Read more

U.S. Navy Salaries