U.S. Navy
8,788 reviews

U.S. Navy Employer Reviews

Disciplined environment fostered from comradery
Project Manager (Former Employee), Norfolk, VADecember 12, 2014
Pros: full medical and dental benefits as well as the opportunity to travel all over the country
Cons: i have to be away from family at long periods of time for deployments
A typical day consisted of performing MFOM pulls. Performing trend analysis of pulled data. writing summaries on pulled data. Performing briefs to the higher chain of command to inform of issues as well as ways to combat.

The hardest part was leaving my family at any given notice whether that be for deployments or under ways or fast cruises and duty – more... days.

the most enjoyable is the knowing you have fought for your country – less
US Navy
Quartermaster (Former Employee), Pensacola, FLDecember 12, 2014
I enjoyed my military service. It filled me with great pride and patriotism to serve my country.
A fun, educational and rewarding experience.
Assigned as Information Assurance Manager (Former Employee), Virginia Beach, VADecember 12, 2014
Pros: steady pay
Cons: the politics
Typical work day is work is never done being an IT. I have learned every component of IT except software development. I enjoy working with others. I love being apart of a team. Hardest part of job was time away from family. Most enjoyable is being tasked with something I know nothing about and mastering it.
Great experience learned more than I ever thought possible
Field Service Calibration Technician (Former Employee), San Diego, CADecember 12, 2014
In the US Navy I learned so many key valuable skills to give me a head start in life and in the work force. As a result of the navy I am always punctual, hard working, used to long hours, have attention to detail, and understand accountability. My typical day consisted of a mourning meeting at 5 am a pass down of the days task at 5:30 and begin accepting – more... items for calibration at 6:00. Some days I would calibrate electronics or standards in the lab and others I would be down in the machinery spaces calibrating gages thermometer and switches for crucial ship components. The best part of this job was the amount of knowledge i would gain. I was constantly learning something new on a daily basis. The hardest part of this job and the reason I decided not to re-enlist was the amount of time I didn't get to see my family and the distance, – less
US Navy
Cook/ Records Keeper (Former Employee), jacksonville flDecember 12, 2014
What can I say. The navy made me the man I'm today. Got to see the world.
Very Demanding, Self Satisfying
Information Systems Technician 2nd Class (E-5) (Current Employee), Norfolk, VADecember 12, 2014
Pros: health care, job security
Cons: work to personal life ratio
The Navy requires many hours of work put in away from home for very little appreciation. I would recommend the Navy to anyone if you are a very self motivated person and can respond professionally to every situation imaginable.
Mission essential
Aviation Electrician's Mate (Former Employee), Norfolk, VADecember 12, 2014
Pros: benefits
Cons: pay is not comparable to civilian sector
-A typical day at work consists of arriving to your command at the base to perform your assigned function.
- I learned how to troubleshoot electric and electronic devices, read schematics and wiring diagrams, how to manage people, how to manage a huge inventory worth hundreds of millions of dollars.
- Management fluctuated from the very poor to the – more... very best.
- My co-workers could be anything from very lazy to very motivated.
- The hardest part of the job was being away from my family.
- The most enjoyable part was knowing that I was serving my country. – less
Outstanding place to work with opportunities to excel.
Food Service Director/Manager (Current Employee), Point Mugu, CADecember 12, 2014
Outstanding place to work at with outstanding benefits not only for you but also your dependents. You'll have the opportunity to work with different personnel from different backgrounds and cultures.
Able to learn valuable job skills while protecting the country.
Logistics Specialist (Former Employee), Various locationsDecember 11, 2014
Pros: free medical and dental; many opportunities for advancement.
Cons: some ships get underway quite often.
I learned many valuable job skills. I learned how to deal with various types of co-workers. My typical day included inventory management, shipping and receiving parts, material procurement, and financial budget management.
Professional and stimulating work place.
Naval Engineer (Former Employee), San Diego, CADecember 11, 2014
Pros: excellent benefits, pride, experience
Cons: long hours, poor management occasionally, very high demands
The Navy took me all around the world, and taught me several skills both trade and leadership skills. The people I served with are more like family than co-workers. Although the day were long and the down time occasionally sparse, the pride, experience and adventure was priceless. The hardest part was being away for extended periods at a time but i – more... found it gets easier. The comradery was the best part easily. – less
I am thankful for the opportunity I had. However, the military lifestyle wasn't worth the pay I was getting.
Nuclear Machinist Mate (Former Employee), Bremerton, WADecember 11, 2014
Pros: excellent benefits
Cons: average work week was 70+ hours, undesirable lifestyle.
A typical day consisted of studying for watch qualifications whenever there wasn't any other jobs that currently needed doing. These other jobs ranged from cleaning, maintenance, and standing watch.

I learned about every piece of equipment in the navy's propulsion plant (reactor, steam generators, turbines, pumps, engines, valves, piping). This includes – more... plant support systems such as lube oil, protective trips, etc.

Management was across the board and changed often due to promotions, contracts ending, and switching commands. I had some very good leaders occasionally. Most of my LPOs, LCPOs, etc., were terrible leaders that managed divisions poorly.

The hardest part of the job was that it was so much more than a job. With most weeks ending with 70+ hours, and duty days, underway periods, it was more of a lifestyle that I didn't care for.

I really enjoyed the comaradarie that I had with many of my co-workers. – less
Great experience
Damage Controlman Second Class (Former Employee), Norfolk, VADecember 11, 2014
Good way to see the world and serve our great country. Overall great experience very challenging every job after the navy wont compare.
Good learning experience, but too much time spent away from home.
Machinist mate (Former Employee), Norfolk VADecember 11, 2014
Provides good work experience, but long hours and going underway frequently can be very stressful. I would recommend for anyone who wants a challenge or a decent job without having a collage education.
You get what you give
Master At Arms (Former Employee), Kings Bay, GADecember 10, 2014
Pros: benefits, new experience, not a routine job
Cons: hours
The Navy gave me experience and made me a confident potential employee for any company.
Stressfull, High Operational Tempo, Rewarding Job
Fire Control Instructor (Current Employee), Norfolk, VADecember 10, 2014
Pros: benefits, stability, advancement
Cons: away from family, idiots
The US Submarine force is an exceptional place for anyone to succeed if the are a fast learner and perform well under stress. The force doesn't provide much family time or flexibility when attached to a sea going command. The hardest part of the job was sleeping on board every three days while working 10-14 hour days. The fact that you are in port and – more... your family is a mere 20 minutes away is the worst. The Navy comes first and once the Navy is satisfied then you can go spend time with your family. The most enjoyable part of the job was the Camaraderie and skills obtained. Being stuck in a steal tube with a limited amount of people you have to make it work so you might as well make it fun. I learned so many skills from mechanical to electrical. I also learned a lot about life skills from people and the fast paced life of a fast attack sailor. – less
Serving my country
Journalist (Former Employee), Overseas billetsDecember 10, 2014
Pros: the pleasure of serving ones country
Cons: generally poor leadership
I was a broadcast journalist in the United States Navy for four-and-a-half years. Outside of basic training and schooling, I spent my entire career posted overseas. I worked for the Naval Media Center-Pacific and American Forces Network Europe-South in that time. I worked as a television news producer and radio DJ. In my time in the Navy I received – more... the Army Achievement Medal, the Navy Good Conduct Medal, and the National Defense Medal. I was honorably discharged in April of 2004. – less
Overall rating for the U.S. Navy
1st Class Petty Officer Avionics Technician (Current Employee), Norfolk, Va.December 10, 2014
Pros: the comradery, the places that i have gone, the vacation time
Cons: the time away from family, the food, the long hours and standing watches in the cold
The U.S. Navy has been a great place to work for the past 20 years. I am sad to be leaving now. I have no regrets other than I leave my brothers and sisters behind. I love that Navy and what is has done for me. I have had a great time living, growing, and being part of the world’s greatest Navy.
Interesting work environment
Master At Arms (Former Employee), Key West, FLDecember 10, 2014
Pros: great compensation pay
Cons: lack of good supervisors
It was a good work environment, however only due to my fellow employees. My supervisors were never very welcoming or understanding, they aslo lacked common sense.
Work orientated and Fun when time allowed
Aviation electricians mate (Former Employee), Lemoore, CADecember 9, 2014
Pros: great job security, great benefits, good people to work with, always learning and lots of travel
Cons: the ocasional mean and nasty person, the ocasional 16 hour day and horrible coffee
The job was mostly work all day, but their were times when we had little to no work, at these times we would sit talk or find something to do when nothing else had to be done. Most of the people I worked with were good at their jobs and very knowledgeable about it and had no problem teaching new comers. Twice a month we would have pot lucks and have – more... food in appropriate places and would have fun both in and out of work. Most of the management I had to deal with were reliable and would work with you if you did your job, very few people I met did not do what they were meant to do and very few of the management personal were harsh and inflexible and out right mean. I learned How to trouble shoot the electrical systems of most aircraft and their components, I also learned how to work on generators, batters, internal navigation units, night vision goggles and fiber optics. The hardest part of the job was working up on the flight deck while their were aircraft taking off, The most enjoyable was working in a nice air conditioned room. – less
Great place to begin a career
Aviation Structural Mechanic Safety (Former Employee), VAQ-137December 9, 2014
Pros: great advancement for dedicated employees
Cons: lots of hours
learned a lot about leading and communicating with others as well as many other skills that are irreplaceable.

About U.S. Navy

The US Navy maintains a variety of military equipment like ballistic missile submarines, aircraft carriers, surface warships, – Read more