U.S. Navy

11.1K reviews

U.S. Navy Employee Reviews

Challenging, intenstive work experience
Surgical Technologist (Current Employee), Okinawa, Japan; Norfolk, VAJuly 23, 2015
A typical day included supervising 13 techs in the support of 4 surgeons in an OMFS outpatient setting. I work as a surgial tech during conflicts in the middle east. I've learned how to lead, manage, and be an efficient tech. The hardest part of my job is being so far from my family for extended periods on time. The most enjoyable part is the culture and camaraderie.
I enjoyed serving in the military during the Vietnam era and doing what was needed.
Data Analyst/Production/Maintenance Supervisor (Former Employee), Jacksonville, FLJuly 22, 2015
Pros: Defending our country.
Cons: war.
I served in the Navy for 13 years as a Aviation Data Analyst/Production/Maintenance Control Supervisor working in Operational squadrons of A6A Intruder aircraft and SH3G helicopters. I served with these squadrons in Vietnam 4 times and finally resigned after Vietnam was over. I was honorably discharged and received many awards and citations while serving.
Great place to start
Steel Worker, Convoy Security Team (Former Employee), Charelston SCJuly 22, 2015
The work experience I got there will never be forgotten. I learned so much from not only there but from my whole military experience. I started in the Marines and served 4years. After that I went into the Navy as a Seabee and served another 3 years. It teaches you so much about your self and how to deal with many different situations. I learned something that is very important to me and that is discipline.
Ship's servieman/ Lodging
Administrative Clerk (Former Employee), Washington StateJuly 22, 2015
Job duties included record keeping, lodging of Officers, laundry services, sales, organization, maintenance, and team work. Working in the atmosphere is a great way to learn great leadership and a great opportunity to work with a verity of people and cultures.
overal good structure but didnt like being away from family
airmen (Former Employee), camarillo californiaJuly 22, 2015
It was very structured. The job security was there and they took great care of your family. You were always on call but you mainly worked 12 on 12 off. You got deployed for a year and was suppose to be home for a year.
Good starter job with great benefits whether you stay in or get out.
Master At Arms (Military Police) (Current Employee), Silverdale, WAJuly 22, 2015
Pros: Great benefits, Job Security, Good pay.
Cons: Constant change in leadership, Not a job to settle down with a family in one area. Long hours.
Working every other weekend on a schedule (Ex- First Week: Mon, Tues, Fri, Sat, Sun, you work then the next week you work Weds & Thurs) Work Starts at 4am and ends around 530pm-6pm.
I learned a lot of law enforcement regulations and violations as well as making the environment safe for the public. Nuclear Security is the main mission but there are a lot of opportunities to get involved with. I myself have experience with Harbor Security as well as Military Working Dogs (K9 Officer). I love working with my co-workers. I think its cool to get to know people from all walks of life and come together as a unit. I've been in the Navy for some time now and really don't find anything to challenging. I think the Navy is a great place to be for those like myself that was coming out of High School not knowing too much about what I was interested in doing for a career because the Military is very helpful in that sense with providing numerous job opportunities and counseling to help find exactly what field you should try to pursue whether it be staying in the military or going elsewhere. Management at least in my work area is sub-par. Its always a constant change in management which causes a lot of confusion in leadership. All in all, the military is a good starter job with great benefits whether you stay in or get out.
Well worth the experience.
Aviation Electronics Technician O Level (Current Employee), NAS Lemoore, CAJuly 22, 2015
Pros: Solid foundation, job security, coworkers, world travel, personal growth
Cons: Work life balance, overseas for extended periods of time, some politics
It's a busy schedule, and at times a hectic lifestyle; but if you put in the effort, and do your job, there's no limit to what you can accomplish. Being put in situations initially outside of my comfort zone showed me a lot of qualities about myself I never knew I had. I've become a natural leader, who's work ethic and production increases with a rise in pressure. My time management skills, and ability to prioritize a work load are among the best in my peer group. My technical knowledge, and ability to troubleshoot a problem have increased exponentially with a rise in responsibility. Most importantly though, I've had the privilege of working with and building relationships with some of the best people and mentors I've known. All in all, the military has been an amazing place to work for, and could build a solid professional foundation for anyone interested in a career.
Continually learning and progressive work environment!
GUNNERS MATE (Former Employee), San Diego, California.July 22, 2015
Pros: Long lunches, Normally weekends off. Wonderfull healthcare.
Cons: Stressfull work environment, Hazardous material's everywhere.
A typical day at work is going in at 7am and working until 4pm. What I normally did was work with Hydraulic and Pneumatic system's on board the ship and taught the Sailors how to conduct proper maintenance plus showed them how to use a majority of the computer programs needed for our job.

What I learned was how to adapt and be versatile to any situation/hazard and to think clearly and always get the job done! My skill's range from being a Technician to being a leader and teaching the new sailors everything they needed to know so they could conduct proper maintenance techniques without me!

Management was always 'different' so I'm used to a variety of different people telling me what to do and I am able to juggle in between task properly because of it. Doesn't matter who it is if they were above me I'll do as they ask, Two specific people though did teach me everything I know and taught me how to be a leader.

Co workers were always fun and friendly, Occasionally some minor situations when sailor's would disagree over some certain aspects of what to do during the day but luckily we are all great listener's and know very good conflict resolution skill's.

Hardest part of the job were the day's where I wasn't able to sleep for 2 day's because of work. Other than that nothing was too difficult for me.

Most enjoyable part of my job was constantly meeting new people and learning from their experiences.
Welder Sup.
Shop Supervisor / Division Officer (Former Employee), Kings Bay, Ga Norfolk, VaJuly 22, 2015
Pros: Being apart of the Navy
Cons: having to b away from wife and kids.
Working as a welding sup . repairing broking things and having to make something on our on. Worked in kings bay Ga, Norfolk, Va. but have been on a lot of cuises. The best thing about this job was I was learning everyday something new.
United States Military
Hospital Corpsman (Former Employee), United StatesJuly 22, 2015
The military does not really have a typical day. I was trained in emergency care and how to train others how to respond to emergency. saw an evaluated patients. reviewed medical records, aided in the pharmacy and lab. I learned allot about leadership while I was in the military. There isn't management there just is a chain of command, but that taught me allot about going to the person first then working your way up. the hardest part of the job was it 24/7. the most enjoyable part was I got to do allot of travel.
job security
Supply/Inventory Management Specialist (Former Employee), norfolk, vaJuly 22, 2015
Pros: learning new skills
It was a experience of a life time. I enjoy the traveling and meeting new people. My job consist of me managing about 10 people at a time. The hardest part of my job was that it was never enough time in the day to complete it. The most enjoyable part of my job was putting smiles on people faces.
Awesome Experience
Torpedoman (Former Employee), Vallejo, CAJuly 22, 2015
I've met the best people and learned so much. Its given me the opportunities of a lifetime. It builds character and strengthens your inner drive.
The Worlds Finest Navy
Logistic Specialist (Former Employee), San Diego, CAJuly 22, 2015
Pros: health care dental and housing
Cons: advancement limitations for some ratings
Truly enjoyed my 14 years in the United States Navy but due to quota limitations i was processed out due to Higher Tenure i would join again tomorrow if they would let me this job not only teaches skills but many life lessons and you will meet many different types of people who you will never forget
Grate carer
Substance Abuse Rehabilitation Program (Current Employee), San Diego, CAJuly 21, 2015
Pros: Job security
Cons: Time away from family
Been with the Navy for 19 years and I have enjoyed every day of it. however my time has came to an end and now it is time to start a new carer and adventure.
Awesome Place to Work
Machinist Mate 1st Class (Former Employee), Norfolk VAJuly 21, 2015
Equal Opportunity, Great Advancement, Wonderful Culture. Jobs sometimes very time consuming, Vast array of knowledge attained. Great People to work with
Very productive and gave me a sense purpose
Hospital Corpsman (Former Employee), San Diego, CAJuly 21, 2015
I spent five years in the Navy as a Hospital Corpsman, whom are known as the Navy's "jack of all trades," and did everything from treating combat casualties to administrative work. I learned how to thoroughly examine and treat patients who present with acute clinical symptoms, as well as traumatic injuries. In terms of administrative work, I learned how to screen and update medical records (hard copies and online).
A well balenced work place
Electricians Mate (Current Employee), Norfolk, VAJuly 21, 2015
Pros: good people
Cons: never able to catch a break
It was a day in and day out job that taught me a lot about being a mature working class adult. I really enjoyed it but it really wasnt for me with all the traveling on such a enclosed space.
demanding and rewarding
Machinist Mate Nuclear (Submarines) (Current Employee), Bremerton, WAJuly 21, 2015
Pros: you are rapidly thrust into learning new things that are very useful later.
Cons: the food is pretty bad.
my life onboard a SSBN was broken into three segments.

refit
underway
off crew

during refit the work load was at its peak, 12-18 hr days on non duty days, 36 hr duty days just to breathe the fresh air of a 12-18 hr day. all of this averaged to 120-126 hr work week of a variety of tasks ranging from administrative work, to manual labor, to delicate precise machining, to large orchestrated operations of a reactor plant.

during underway work was 24/7 with the pleasant submarine weather of 65 degrees and fluorescent . the work was not as demanding as the refit but it was round the clock. we were afforded the privilege of email to loved ones. so it could have been a lot worse.

off crew was the garden of eden. our days were 7-8 hours long with a standard 5 day work week for a total of 1-2 months. work consisted mostly of administrative tasking and watching you tube videos at lunch.

what I learned from all of this is that you work hard, so hard.... hard enough to realize that your life is only work all for a higher purpose. in my experiences here I have been told that purpose was providing freedom for my fellow americans, but I have found that I work hard for my friends first knowing that if I slack in my duties they don't get as much of that precious time with there families. I also find that I work hard for myself because there is honor and dignity in an honest days work.
I wont sugar coat that I hated my past life in the navy, but I respected it and now that its over I cherish the cold and difficult lessons that every man has to learn in this life. respect for – more... authority right or wrong, respect for yourself, and integrity.

in my small experience of the navy the leadership in most cases was a cause of attrition and not something strived for out of what I believe to be the right reasons to lead.
the men and women that I served along side of varied the men of my division and I were as close as close gets. within my ship we were a tight knit team and effective. few worked harder than most and the majority lived off the few.

the hardest part of my job would have to be learning that you don't get to pick your leaders all you can do is decide what type of leader your going to be when your time comes.

the most enjoyable part of the job would be a tie between the relationships I forged with others and all of the new things I have learned to do in my time here. – less
I give an overall rating of 4 1/2 stars
V.I.P Driver (Former Employee), Pearl Harbor, HawaiiJuly 21, 2015
Pros: Meeting foriegn and domestic dignataries
Cons: Could also be boring sometimes waiting for them while they were at their events.
My time in the Navy I've experienced some good things and some bad. My time as a V.I.P driver was exciting and sometimes boring. My daily duties were to report every morning for roll call, have our daily meeting to find out what was going on for the day, maintain the up keep of the vehicles before heading out for the day. Sometimes would have to due security watches on the vehicles overnight.
U.S. Navy
Career Counselor (Current Employee), San Diego, CAJuly 21, 2015
The most enjoyable part of my job has been that I get to interact with people from different and unique backgrounds, and together we have built an efficient team and accomplished our mission.
Headquarters