U.S. Navy Employee Reviews

navy
PS3-Personnel Specialist (Current Employee) –  Norfolk Naval Station, VADecember 9, 2017
It is a pretty decent job to have. It definitely is something you can do to jump start your career. It opens many doors for you from schools to trade school.
Excellent place to learn a trade
Machinist Mate (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CA, Guam,December 9, 2017
Joint the Navy when I was 17 years old and traveled the world and was very enjoyable. Learned a trade in the operation and maintenance of steam turbines which lead to my position of Chief Engineer after retiring from the Navy.
Pros
Travel the world
Cons
little pay
They work you til no end and no exact schedule
Machinist Mate (Former Employee) –  Virginia, San Diego, JapanDecember 9, 2017
They come up with things at the last minute, mostly unorganized work. Stress is there from the lack of organization, everything else is just regular work. I can take the time to fix a pump but to fix it when supply dept wont give you parts or make you jump through hoops to get something the ship needs it gets difficult then your boss blames you for the set back...then you finally get it fixed then you have to go on watch because the manning for your shop is low. So now you've been up for like 20 hours or so and now you have to choose, do you want to sleep or go eat...you only have 6 hours off. if you go eat your waiting in line for an hour or you can live off ramen soup. if you sleep then your starving and grumpy for another horrible shift. thats the ship life. Shore duty is chill if you can handle the unorganized stuff and mandatory fun and last minute work at the end of everyday.
Pros
benifits
Cons
to much stress and work for the pay in Japan
A lifestyle
Ship Engineer Technician (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VADecember 9, 2017
Being in the navy is not just a job. It is a lifestyle. There really is a typical day as the job changes as needed to protect our nation. While we outwardly display a totally "professional" face the fact is that the lifestyle of sailors is somewhat rough. It takes special people to willingly put their life on the line in the name of our county and that shows as we go about our work. We work hard, and we play harder. Make no mistake, the work is hard, at least as an engineer. Lots of long hours spend getting the ship ready to get underway, then lots of time away from home. The plus is the things and people you see and meet. I went half way around the world. I have seen multiple counties and got a great view of the various cultures.
Pros
Lots of places to see and generous time off.
Cons
Long hours and lots of time away from home.
Not for everyone
Aviation Ordnanceman (Current Employee) –  Oak Harbor, WADecember 8, 2017
The Navy is a very hard job that is not for everyone. Advancement is easy if you actually care enough to study and be good at your job. The hardest part of the job is without a doubt deployment. If you are able to get past that your time in the Navy will be a breeze and enjoyable.
Great career field and diversity a plus
Logistic Manager (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CADecember 8, 2017
The whole experience serving in the Navy was definitely a great experience with a chance to see the world and travel. Picked up a lot of skills, traits, and leadership experience that can be carried on to the private sector. Only hard part of this job was if you have dependents and married, it is hard to leave your family behind for several months at a time to deploy overseas.
Pros
Tons of benefits, Retirement, travel around the world
Cons
deployments, long hours
challenging and beneficial
Corrosion Technician/Aviation Ordnanceman (Former Employee) –  Whidbey Island, WADecember 8, 2017
If you're young and joining the Navy there is a trend of acting like the bad seeds in the Navy and taking upon their mindsets.
But if you can be your own person and be optimistic you can flourish.
benefits
Cons
the negative mind sets of people
haze grey and under way!
Catcc-dair electronic technician (Former Employee) –  worldwideDecember 8, 2017
I was out to sea 70% of the time on the ship. So when inport, one would/should play hard. The recreation dept subsidized 50% of most entertainment expenses. The best part of the Navy was the camaraderie of the shipmates. Some of the most difficult times was staying on a problem until complete, which could take days meaning overnights.
great job
Fire Controlman second class (Former Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VADecember 8, 2017
the only down fall is missing your family. it was amazing traveling all over the world, I got a great education and money for further my education when I got out. pay was great and bonuses were even better. great medical and dental insurance. in my opinion the best branch of military to serve in.
The traveling was fun and exciting
Aviation Ordnanceman/ Gunners mate (Former Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VADecember 8, 2017
I would give anything to go back active duty if I was not forced out by a process called PTS or in other words Perform To Serve. Job helped prepare me for civilian life.
Pros
Travel
Cons
Deployment

Want to know more about U.S. Navy?

Ask a question
You always learn something new
Boatswain's Mate (Current Employee) –  Mayport, FLDecember 8, 2017
A typical day at work consumes of maintenance and training on a daily basis.
The learning experience has endless possibilities ranging from basic cpr, anti-terrorism, to daily devotion, and firefighting exercises, there is a braod list of many different aspects to learn from.
As a supervisor management is the key to success to get all goals accomplished.
The culture is very diverse there is no company on planet earth that can compare.
There is no such thing as an easy day, every task should be a challenge to learn something from the experience to become a subject matter level expert.
I enjoy all the military experiences the force has taught me something I would never have gained if I had not volunteerd.
Pros
Alot of benefits
Cons
Time away from loved ones.
Its a job make for a certain kind of person
Second Class Petty Officer (Current Employee) –  Waco, TXDecember 8, 2017
Learned a lot, traveled the world. You'll always be away from your family. It's all what you make it, and if you can find away to enjoy it. Which isn't hard if you don't mind hard work, low pay, and being away from your loved ones.
Great career choice
Deck Seaman/Operations Specialist (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VADecember 8, 2017
Great career choice, helps you open your mind and wyd to the world in a different light. Also is very stressful when it come down to being away from family
great place to work
Ship Serviceman (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CA 92136December 8, 2017
great job that pays the bills and great co-workers time is taking out of the day to teach you what you need to know, a chance to meet a lot of different people daily.
Serving was an honor
GSM3 (Former Employee) –  USS Carney DDG-64December 8, 2017
life long skills, comradery, brother/sisterhood, and the chance to do things you'll never do anywhere else. see new places, learn new and complex skills, and amazing personal growth as an adult.
its the navy
Aviation Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLDecember 8, 2017
loved it and was proud to be apart of america best. wish i could have done the whole 20+ but had to leave because my wife is the one who wanted to stay in.
Not for everyone
Machinist Mate (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CADecember 8, 2017
The U.S. Navy can be a wonderful place for some and an awful place for others. Most people are sorely disappointed when they discover how life really is in the branch. Anyone who considers this job should take the time to seek out former or active service members and get their advice before talking to a recruiter. Each job is different and has its own perks or downside. Do not make a hasty decision and if you are trying to be a "hero" just don't even bother unless you are a true badass who can make it into the special forces.
Pros
Free cruises around the world
Cons
Soul crushing loneliness and true lack of relationship success.
Great Organization
Senior Sales Instructor/Curriculum Developer (Former Employee) –  Pensacola, FLDecember 8, 2017
Great Organization. America,s Freedom Provider

Every day at work was a day of pride knowing that you are serving a great country and doing something valuable to ensure success and freedom.
Pros
Benefits and Pay
Cons
Time away from family
Hard but rewarding
Work Center Supervisor and Quality Assurance Rep (Current Employee) –  HawaiiDecember 8, 2017
The navy has been a life altering experience for my family and I. We’ve traveled all over the world to over ten countries. The downside is everyone will deploy. However the navy is a secure employment with all the benefits you will ever need
Prowd to serve
Gunners Mate Guns (Former Employee) –  Desron 12 6th fleetDecember 8, 2017
I was a Gunners Mate and small arms expert with a top secret clearance. I advanced to the rank of Petty Officer 3rd.. class, and was mount captain of a 5"-38 gun mount directing an 11 man crew.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at U.S. Navy. Our community is ready to answer.

4.4