U.S. News & World Report Employee Reviews

Laidback and Enjoyable Work Environment with Communication Issues
Digital Analyst (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCApril 13, 2017
The workplace itself is very casual in behavior and dress since employees rarely meet with outside clients. The work itself comes in waves. Things can get busy during website redesigns or product launches but at other times there is very little to do. The staff is fairly young and turnover is moderate. There are a lot of opportunities to take on new responsibilities and expand your job skills. However, any duty that you volunteer to do temporarily is likely to become your permanent responsibility. Having a manager that likes you personally is probably the most important factor in succeeding at this company.
Pros
Actual 9-5 work hours, opportunities to learn new skills, free beer on Fridays
Cons
Management is overly insulated from the rest of the company, raise structure is too rigid, minimal interactions between departments
A great place to work but room for improvement
Advertising  (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCMay 20, 2013
This is a start up environment couched in a legacy company. Fantastic work/life balance and kind and driven coworkers. The work can be dull at times and compensation is lower than other competitors. Management is pretty flexible but sometimes lacks a clear vision.
OK if you're not bothered by the concept.
Writer-editor (Former Employee) –  Reston, VAMarch 14, 2013
I was hired here to work on their autos website, which basically involved aggregating information about cars from other websites that actually tested the cars. Then we would write summaries of the other sites' reviews and assign the car a rating based on those reviews. I did nothing more than any car buyer could do by surfing the web, although I suppose USN&WR felt it was providing a "one-stop shop" by collecting all the data in one place. Still, as an experienced editor and journalist I was very uncomfortable rating cars I had never driven, and I left for a more satisfying job at the first opportunity.
Pros
friendly staff that seemed enthusiastic about what they were doing
Cons
aggregation/evaluation model doesn't contribute anything new to the body of information about cars.
Fabulous place to work
Vice President, Dir. Worldwide Advertising Sales (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 29, 2012
Took USN from bankrupt to highly profitable for 20 years. Enter the internet and the rest is history!
Pros
owner and president were great!
Cons
really none!
Productive and not overly stressful
Sales & Advertising Intern (Current Employee) –  New York, NYApril 6, 2012
A young environment with most employees in the Sales/Advertising department being in their mid to late 20s. As an intern I have been given freedom to learn skills and assist in projects that fit my interest in sales and advertising.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at U.S. News & World Report. Our community is ready to answer.

U.S. News & World Report Reviews by Location