U.S. Pipe Employee Reviews

great place to work
Senior Network Administrator (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALMarch 19, 2017
rewarding place to work. they helped me to add to my job skills and were helpful when I had questions about any assignment I was given. the supervisors were also helpful
Great
Process Technician (Seasonal) (Former Employee) –  Bessemer, ALJanuary 15, 2017
Great I'm trying to get back out there it a really great place to work so far I haven't worked for a better place like them yet
Excellent
Crane Operator (Former Employee) –  Bessemer, ALNovember 16, 2016
Great place to work. Great company overall .Great hours and excellent pay. Willing to return if called. One of the best companies I've ever worked for.
Not worth the time and effort you put into this company.
Lathe Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Bloomfield, CTSeptember 7, 2016
Corporate have no idea about anything. Corporate would sell you dreams on how much business would be coming your way and then they would come in and permanently close down your plant. Happened to a few plants including the one I worked for. Oh and did so with no type of notice. It was lie after lie after lie with them. The pay rate for the work you do, the fumes and junk you breath in, and the shops being so disgustingly dirty is a joke. My manager was a very good guy and cared about his employees that's about the only good thing I can say about the company, unfortunately he was axed along with the rest of us (some who put in more than 10 years of their lives for this company.)
Pros
Great manager
Cons
everything
Electrical work
Electrician Helper (Former Employee) –  Bessemer, ALJuly 28, 2016
A lot of work. Long hours. The comprehension of the electrician determined state of technology. Great friends bad benefits. Real crazy management, six sigma eliminated capital expenditures to make money off depreciation. Plant got real old with nutty decisions with new management. Constant new management from up north, rarely from local state. Closed down 3 plants, chatt valves was shut down so they could buy from china at HIGHER PRICES, closing North Bham big mistake. New management from Chicago real lost,extremely selfish and self centered. They eliminated free vendor lunches except for themselves. Took away bonus and went back a year and made old managers pay it back. One Chicago exec was standing in middle of road yelling and screaming at the sky. Plant managers scared of their on shadows. Cancelled retiree insurance just to be mean.
Pros
Free access to toilet
Cons
No water fountains in new modern plant. No drawings. No mechanical drawings, no mechanical manuals, no mechanical standards.
i really hate the plant was closed down
Welder (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALJuly 18, 2016
to start our day with fellow coworkers an have some of the best coworkers who all was on the same page with getting our assignment to work
Pros
vacation time
Cons
a 1 healthcare
Very poor uper management!!!!
Payroll Specialist (Former Employee) –  Bessemer, ALFebruary 12, 2016
You have no home life if you work here. Salary employees are forced to work 6 to 7 days a week with no pay over 40 hours. Production employees are very nice people to work with, but upper management is terrible. I have never seen so much turnover in salary positions like they have here. HR president is terrible. If you are not one of her hand picked employees then your days are numbered. Payroll manager is rude, self centered and will do whatever it takes to make herself look better. This is definitely not the good company that it once was!!!!!
great place to work
Crane Operator/Forklift Operator (Former Employee) –  North Birmingham, ALFebruary 1, 2016
A typical day would consist of taking machines apart with the overhead crane, then pulling molds out of machine. Once that was done I would place new molds in the machine for the next day.

I learned how to operate an overhead crane and operate a forklift,and a casting machine while I worked here.

Management do a good job of making sure production never stopped. Management would have meetings periodically to let you know how the company was doing.

My co-workers were great. They taught you how to run the equipment the proper way, so that nobody got hurt.

The hardest part of the job was getting use to the heat , from the molten iron.
Pros
good insurance, decent pay
Cons
the heat and dust
repair all pipng needs in the plant
pipefitter (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALNovember 9, 2015
repair and replace piping and valves,propane systems,gas on furnaces water piping systems received calls all over plant when service was needed
labor pool (Current Employee) –  lynchburg,vaSeptember 20, 2015
Good company to work for you can get all the overtime you want but if your a single parent hours are too long especially on second shift. You know what time you go in but you don't know what time you get off. Don't like working all day and night on Saturdays.
Pros
money is great!!
Cons
long hours, love to work you on Saturdays, no time with your family
had great electrical shop
Class A Journeyman Electrician (Former Employee) –  Bessemer, ALAugust 11, 2015
A pipe foundary is a different kind of place to work in,Safety is first in every job you do over head cranes moving over head all the time hot metal being poured latles . Learned a lot in the short time I worked there.Hardest job was jumping out on top of stir beam when motor stopped working sitting on top of 20 tons hot metal. Lunch with guys kinda like a home kitchen come in fix lunch talk to guys.Managment ok had cook outs some month to meet workers.
Pros
Some times vendors brought in lunch for crew.
Cons
health care great 100% paid
Good Paying Job
Sand Balster (Former Employee) –  Olivehurst, CAAugust 9, 2015
This is a good company but the job wasn't for me and i left the job for that reason. Everyone was nice to work with and very helpful if i had any questions they were there to help.
Mundane Work Days
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  TXJuly 20, 2015
If you like being micro-managed for a position that you are overly qualified for...if you like getting written up for spending the night in the ER and not being able to work the next day (with a dr note that restricted work for 4-5 days). If you like having to use vacation days for bad weather when the plant and shop are shut down...if you like to feel stuck in your position with little to no training...

By all means. Work here.

Make sure dr appointments are during your lunch break or after shift unless you want to have "attendance issues" thrown in your face.

I loved my co-workers, who were equally as stressed and underappreciated but did not complain and were told to get over it when they voiced their concerns.
Pros
M-F 9-5 schedule, hour long lunch, getting to know customers and vendors
Cons
Miscommunication among leaders, outdated practices, unclear expectations/priorities, lack of appreciation shown by anyone
Productive work environment
Data Entry Specialist (Former Employee) –  Township of Burlington, NJJune 19, 2015
This is a small office with focus on independent work. There is a steady flow of work throughout the day and always something to do. I enjoyed working there.
Good days to work
Plant Electrical Engineer/Maintenance Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Burlington, NJJune 14, 2015
Typical day was fun
I knew valuable work lesson
Management OK
Co-workers very great
Hardest part was very beautiful
The most enjoyable part of the job was when all machines are working smoothly.
Pros
Great
Cons
Not so sure
good long term
Machinist (Former Employee) –  Bessemer, ALDecember 15, 2014
rotating shifts so you work days and nights learned how too handle different conditions wether it was weather or work it helped with both.good peoples place they really care for the employee
No work/life balance, not very much managerial support
Melting Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Bessemer, ALDecember 4, 2014
Work 7 days a week 12 hours a day. In supervision they want you to work from the neck down and rely on management for every decision that needs to be made; not allow you to be a supervisor. Pay is good, company owned by investment group so minimal benefits. Work atmosphere is horrible due to cut throat people trying to survive in the environment. If you find yourself unemployed go there, otherwise stay away.....far far away.
good place to work great benefits.
Pipe Runner (Former Employee) –  Bessemer, ALSeptember 11, 2014
very good physical demanding job alot of team work involve .
Pros
lots of overtime
Cons
dusty in air difficult to breath at time.
Stay Away!!!!!
Employee (Current Employee) –  AlabamaAugust 1, 2014
Corporate Management is the worst that I worked for in my entire career. If the investment group that owns this company does not sell the company soon, this leadership team will put them out of business. HR "leadership" is particularly poor. Stay away!!
Pros
There are some great, hardworking people in this company.
Cons
The best talent is leaving or thinking about leaving, HR department and particularly the HR Vice President are a joke.
Machine Operation
Machine Operator/ Shop Steward (Former Employee) –  Burlington, NJJune 12, 2014
Repair equipment and machinery
Time Management
Detail Oriented
Operations of machinery
Handle complaints

Ask a question about working or interviewing at U.S. Pipe. Our community is ready to answer.