U.S. Pipe Employee Reviews in United States

Very poor uper management!!!!
Payroll Specialist (Former Employee) –  Bessemer, ALFebruary 12, 2016
You have no home life if you work here. Salary employees are forced to work 6 to 7 days a week with no pay over 40 hours. Production employees are very nice people to work with, but upper management is terrible. I have never seen so much turnover in salary positions like they have here. HR president is terrible. If you are not one of her hand picked employees then your days are numbered. Payroll manager is rude, self centered and will do whatever it takes to make herself look better. This is definitely not the good company that it once was!!!!!
great place to work
Crane Operator/Forklift Operator (Former Employee) –  North Birmingham, ALFebruary 1, 2016
A typical day would consist of taking machines apart with the overhead crane, then pulling molds out of machine. Once that was done I would place new molds in the machine for the next day.

I learned how to operate an overhead crane and operate a forklift,and a casting machine while I worked here.

Management do a good job of making sure production never stopped. Management would have meetings periodically to let you know how the company was doing.

My co-workers were great. They taught you how to run the equipment the proper way, so that nobody got hurt.

The hardest part of the job was getting use to the heat , from the molten iron.
Pros
good insurance, decent pay
Cons
the heat and dust
labor pool (Current Employee) –  lynchburg,vaSeptember 20, 2015
Good company to work for you can get all the overtime you want but if your a single parent hours are too long especially on second shift. You know what time you go in but you don't know what time you get off. Don't like working all day and night on Saturdays.
Pros
money is great!!
Cons
long hours, love to work you on Saturdays, no time with your family
had great electrical shop
Class A Journeyman Electrician (Former Employee) –  Bessemer, ALAugust 11, 2015
A pipe foundary is a different kind of place to work in,Safety is first in every job you do over head cranes moving over head all the time hot metal being poured latles . Learned a lot in the short time I worked there.Hardest job was jumping out on top of stir beam when motor stopped working sitting on top of 20 tons hot metal. Lunch with guys kinda like a home kitchen come in fix lunch talk to guys.Managment ok had cook outs some month to meet workers.
Pros
Some times vendors brought in lunch for crew.
Cons
health care great 100% paid
Mundane Work Days
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  TXJuly 20, 2015
If you like being micro-managed for a position that you are overly qualified for...if you like getting written up for spending the night in the ER and not being able to work the next day (with a dr note that restricted work for 4-5 days). If you like having to use vacation days for bad weather when the plant and shop are shut down...if you like to feel stuck in your position with little to no training...

By all means. Work here.

Make sure dr appointments are during your lunch break or after shift unless you want to have "attendance issues" thrown in your face.

I loved my co-workers, who were equally as stressed and underappreciated but did not complain and were told to get over it when they voiced their concerns.
Pros
M-F 9-5 schedule, hour long lunch, getting to know customers and vendors
Cons
Miscommunication among leaders, outdated practices, unclear expectations/priorities, lack of appreciation shown by anyone
Good days to work
Plant Electrical Engineer/Maintenance Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Burlington, NJJune 14, 2015
Typical day was fun
I knew valuable work lesson
Management OK
Co-workers very great
Hardest part was very beautiful
The most enjoyable part of the job was when all machines are working smoothly.
Pros
Great
Cons
Not so sure
Good Paying Job
Sand Balster (Former Employee) –  Olivehurst, CAAugust 9, 2015
This is a good company but the job wasn't for me and i left the job for that reason. Everyone was nice to work with and very helpful if i had any questions they were there to help.
Productive work environment
Data Entry Specialist (Former Employee) –  Township of Burlington, NJJune 19, 2015
This is a small office with focus on independent work. There is a steady flow of work throughout the day and always something to do. I enjoyed working there.
No work/life balance, not very much managerial support
Melting Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Bessemer, ALDecember 4, 2014
Work 7 days a week 12 hours a day. In supervision they want you to work from the neck down and rely on management for every decision that needs to be made; not allow you to be a supervisor. Pay is good, company owned by investment group so minimal benefits. Work atmosphere is horrible due to cut throat people trying to survive in the environment. If you find yourself unemployed go there, otherwise stay away.....far far away.
Stay Away!!!!!
Employee (Current Employee) –  AlabamaAugust 1, 2014
Corporate Management is the worst that I worked for in my entire career. If the investment group that owns this company does not sell the company soon, this leadership team will put them out of business. HR "leadership" is particularly poor. Stay away!!
Pros
there are some great, hardworking people in this company.
Cons
the best talent is leaving or thinking about leaving, hr department and particularly the hr vice president are a joke.
Awful place to work
Forklift Driver/ melting department (Former Employee) –  Bessemer, ALOctober 28, 2013
I was in the melting department. On nights all the reviews above are garbage. You do not have a home life there. The supervisors are good ole boys that treat only there friends with respect. The hr department are corrupt and go by there own rules. There is no room for advancement becouse they are union which means you can only bid on a job and can only move up if it's a bad job overall bad place work bad work values and the place deserves to be shutdown.
Cons
everything is bad
challenging and rewarding environment
Maintenance Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Union City, CADecember 6, 2012
In the early morning test machinery to make sure it was ready for production. Followed by employees group meetings to discuss work orders and appropriate actions to be taken.

I learned how to manage time and make employees more efficient for the company,to solve problems with employees . I was also send to training to be more efficient in computer because I also did the ordering for the maintenance dept.

The hardest part was terminated an employer.

Hardest part of my job was terminating and employer.

I enjoy assembly machinery and reading blue prints. Putting machinery from the beginning.
Pros
safety awards
Cons
health care benefits
Typical plant job with a lot of maintanence problems
melting technician (Current Employee) –  Bessemer, ALAugust 1, 2012
My typical workday consisted of a 5p.m to 5a.m shift. I learned every job in my department and I have been offered a leaderperson position. My supervisors and managers were very moral people whom I have grown to love. the hardest part of my job was working 7 days a week 12 hours with no off time.
Pros
free uniforms, free backpack
Cons
have to pay 90% of insurance
it's a excellent work environment
Foundry Worker (Former Employee) –  bessemer,alFebruary 12, 2014
-Operated Cupola, Alloy station. Skimming station, and the Pouring station.
-Operate hand-controlled mechanisms to pour and regulate the flow of molten metal into molds to produce castings or ingots.
-Skim slag or remove excess metal from ingots or equipment, using hand tools, strainers, rakes, or burners; collect scrap for recycling
Potential Lifetime Career
Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  USMay 18, 2014
Potential for decades long employment, so long as advancement isn't in your plans. Streamlined management limits potential upward career movement.Friendly coworkers, but company policies are old, outdated and slow progress.
Pros
fair compensation
Cons
travel
good long term
Machinist (Former Employee) –  Bessemer, ALDecember 15, 2014
rotating shifts so you work days and nights learned how too handle different conditions wether it was weather or work it helped with both.good peoples place they really care for the employee
Great work environment with substantial benefits.
crane operator (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, AlabamaJanuary 19, 2012
Good experience working for a well known employer. I learned alot of valuable skills and how to operate various equipment (forklifts, pipe cars, and grinders etc.). Safety was a big factor along with quality production.
Pros
compensation and benefits.
Enjoyed the time i worked there,have no regrets.
Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Louisville, KYApril 8, 2014
In my 22 yrs,watched a company grow and expand and was treated with respect and have nothing but thanks and praise to say about U.S.Pipe.
Pros
great team of people, good insurance and pay scale.
Cons
constantly noisy and heavy lifting .
good place to work great benefits.
Pipe Runner (Former Employee) –  Bessemer, ALSeptember 11, 2014
very good physical demanding job alot of team work involve .
Pros
lots of overtime
Cons
dusty in air difficult to breath at time.
Very great place to work
Processing Supervisor I (Former Employee) –  bessemer, Al.March 9, 2013
Make sure that what needs to be done is done right, always. was in charge of production and safety. Management was great.
Pros
hours were great
Cons
night shift