U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission Employee Reviews

Great analyst experience in a non-competitive field
Student Honors Program Intern (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 23, 2016
Although I was only an intern here for a few short months, interning at the SEC opened my eyes to the possibility of fraud analysis as a career. I learned a lot of hands-on experience as well as worked directly with analysts themselves.
National Institutes of Health, Help Desk Analyst
Infrastructure Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJanuary 27, 2016
Great place to work, great team to be apart of

Occasionally provides backup support to other members of the team
Support Blackberry & iPhone
Excellent Workplace Environment
Accounting Technician III (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCDecember 7, 2015
Excellent environment with supportive management. Development is key and the enjoyable part of this job is working alongside my colleagues and learning from each one of them.
Great place to work and make connections
Honors Intern (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCOctober 29, 2015
Great people and many great connections to be made, however a bit of a slow work environment.

Projects were a bit dry and culture is not very friendly. Despite this, many great things to learn and all people are very smart and most are willing to help.
Pros
Free time, suppotive, smart coworkers
Cons
unpaid, dry work
Great work environment
BROKERAGE FIRM AUDITOR, BRANCH OF BROKER/DEALERS (Former Employee) –  Denver, COSeptember 23, 2015
Government jobs are great for advancement, security, and pay scale. This position was a bit stressful dealing with brokers and brokerage firms, but all in all, a very satisfying and rewarding job.
Decent place to work
Administrative Assistant III (Current Employee) –  Boston, MASeptember 1, 2015
I enjoy working at the U.S. Securities & Exchange Commission however the support staff doesn't get the recognition that they deserve.
Great Place to Work
Legal Intern (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCMay 19, 2015
Thoroughly enjoyed the internship during law school. I was provided substantive and engaging work, while learning from highly intelligent attorneys.
Tough Work Environment, Little Room For Advancement
BUSINESS AND SYSTEMS ANALYST (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCMay 2, 2015
Employees not listened to, no value for corporate culture. Some of the most talented staff I have worked with, yet employees were under-engaged and under-utilized.
Pros
Modern office furniture, gym in the basement.
Cons
No job security, little room for career advancement.
Learned alot
SEC Intern (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLApril 6, 2015
The people there were really nice and made sure I did meaningful work and learned a lot. The management were approachable and respectful.
Good Agency
Managment and Program Analyst (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCFebruary 12, 2015
This is a good agency to work for. I just started here, but so far so good. Because this agency has expanded at a very fast rate, there are some areas that could be improve.
Sec
SharePoint Developer (Current Employee) –  Washington,DcFebruary 6, 2015
Job Work/Life Balance,Very good Compensation/Benefits,Job Security/Advancement,Nice Management,Nice Job Culture,Nice location
Rewarding place
Contractor (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCOctober 11, 2014
over 4 to 5 offices moved their belonging to warehouse or to truck for their new area duty stations. lean to work with other and work hard. enjoying meeting new people and enjoy I am doing something for our soldiers, and civil.
Pros
working
Cons
partime and no benefix
Nice location and people
Receptionist - Contractor (Current Employee) –  CAJuly 21, 2014
Interesting branch of the U.S. Government to work for. Federal employee culture not as prevelant at SEC as in other agencies.
Pros
Flexible Hours
Cons
Contract work
Great place to learn
Legal Intern (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLMay 20, 2014
As an intern I did research and writing about securities law. The Internship was also heavy on Doc Review. The permanent staff was very friendly and helpful. Everyone was always willing to help the interns learn and slow to give out destructive criticism.
Productive and hands on internship
Investment Management Intern (Former Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 15, 2013
Great internship. Worked with numerous of external audits in the investment management department. Confidential information
Pros
learned a lot
Cons
unpaid internship
Educational and interesting
Legal Intern (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCOctober 6, 2013
I had the wonderful opportunity to intern at the Division of Enforcement and the Office of Administrative Law Judges.

At the Division of Enforcement, I worked on a variety of projects, I had the chance to observe on a deposition, and to contribute to an actual case. The staff at the SEC were extremely welcoming and helpful, and offered me invaluable career experience.

The Office of Administrative Law Judges gave me a chance to explore another aspect of an SEC proceedings. At the ALJ, I drafted judicial opinions and orders, attended administrative hearings, and edited and reviewed the opinions and orders written by the three administrative judges.
Challenging and a place you can get hands on experience
Research Analyst (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 10, 2013
• Assisted in the on-site compliance examinations of broker-dealer to determine adherence to federal securities regulations.
• Supported the assessment of the regulated entities' financial statements and the accuracy of their regulatory filings.
• Researched and analyzed examination-related data and records by using internal database.
• Drafted examination findings and recommended course of actions to the examiners.
• Assisted in the creation and modification of excel spreadsheets for standardizing all examination records.
• Managed communication with examiners, enforcement officers and other case related parties.
Pros
Willing to teach you; knowledgeable and informative co-workers
Lots of free time, but poorly managed and lots of red tape
Investigative Paralegal (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAAugust 14, 2013
Stick with the private sector unless you absolutely need more personal time.
Pros
You don't have to do much work and get an absurd amount of time off
Cons
Red tape, bad management, barely being allowed to think for yourself
Nice location
User Support Specialist (Contractor) (Former Employee) –  DCMay 16, 2013
The Securities and Exchange Commission is conveniently located at Union Station. I worked as a contractor under CACI for the Division of Enforcement and enjoyed my years as a User Support Specialist for the Division.
Very operational focused; process oriented - no room for creativity - follow process
Production Systems Support Manager (Former Employee) –  Alexandria, VAOctober 22, 2012
No room for slackers and mistakes; mistakes can be very costly and unforgiving. production oriented - high SLAs to meet
Pros
very competitive
Cons
lots of weekend and off hours work; mistakes can be unforgiving

Ask a question about working or interviewing at U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3