U.S. Small Business Administration Employee Reviews

Good Employer
Senior Area Manager Northern and Eastern Arizona (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZAugust 2, 2016
Had to vacate position to care for aging parents. Traveled in district to promote programs. Before vacating responsible for review of numerous programs and assisted with set up of regional conference
Great company to work for
LOAN SPECIALIST (Former Employee) –  Citrus Heights, CAMay 17, 2016
I really enjoyed my time with this company. It was high stress, but you felt rewarded helping small business succeed in a time where the economy was down.
Mission driven agency
Lender Relations & Economic Development Specialist (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHApril 5, 2016
The SBA is a well respected agency. It is such a pride to work promoting access to capital for our small businesses and help create jobs through private agency.
administrative assistant (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCNovember 4, 2015
Very productive and a great workplace, had many out of office events, and enjoyed the staff tremendously. Was able to work independently, was assigned many tasks that I enjoyed doing.
Pros
Office was very famly oriented
Cons
No cons
Excellent camaraderie between co-workers and pleasant working conditions for a production environment.
Loan Specialist (Former Employee) –  Citrus Heights, CASeptember 10, 2015
Each day was rewarding because you were helping people overcome the hardship of natural disasters. I learned to be professional while working with with emotional homeowners and business owners. The hardest part of the job was, in some cases, not being able to make the homeowner or business whole due to the product being a loan with qualifications. Management was very understanding of the pressures of dealing with frustrated disaster victims.
Pros
Great job
Cons
Not enough time or resources to help everyone.
Great place.
DAA (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCAugust 27, 2015
Working at the SBA is rewarding knowing you are helping small businesses thrive.

A typical day includes a morning meeting, assessing the days agenda, and beginning to contact our stakeholders.

Most days are broken up well by interaction with coworkers and meetings.
Not a great culture; highly politicized
Director, Training and Benefits Division (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJuly 16, 2015
I do not recommend SBA as a career choice. Managers and executives micromanage. There are a number of political appointees who do not take the mission seriously.
ok
Human Resource Specialist (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJuly 9, 2015
ok but in my opinion and THAT IS ALL THIS and this is no reflection on the employees that work there so it was just ok lots of travel in peak timw
Pros
Cons
mone
fun, hard work
LOAN OFFICER 3 (Current Employee) –  Citrus Heights, CAMarch 20, 2015
excellent part time job, sad SBA does not appreciate the good people the hire.

Good tech support, excellent computers

co-workers mostly dedicated and smart

hardest part was the hours, 12 a day, 7 days a week

Enjoyable part help others in need.
Pros
helping people with loans
Cons
7 day a week 12 hour days
Enjoyed it until my last two years
Administrative Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXFebruary 1, 2015
I loved and miss my coworkers, and everyday was different, with a new set of challenges. However, a few people can make a job miserable.
Pros
hourly pay.
Cons
managment
Good
Loan Officer/Loan Assistant (Former Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXJanuary 12, 2015
Great place to work management cared about their personnel
compensation benefits were good, job culture enjoyable work balance was hard work more than 40 hrs/7 days a week.
Pros
pot lucks, short breaks, healthcare, lunch hours 45 min, flexible request for time off
Cons
no days off, worked more than 40hrs week
Execelent enviroment, great training
Business Analyst Intern (Current Employee) –  Fresno CaliforniaDecember 6, 2014
Excellent place to work. Powerhouse executives controlling boardrooms, and managing projects with expertise. Where I learned the technical skills of being an analyst. My day consists of constructing/managing/administrating dashboard databases, records management, technical writing, financial forecasting, and trend analysis.
Pros
training, career advancement, professional enviroment.
productive work enviroment
Construction Analyst (Former Employee) –  Herndon, VAJune 27, 2014
 Using a practical knowledge of architectural design and construction practices, performed examinations of federal construction standards (IBC 2006), the estimation of costs of construction or repair of both residential and commercial construction.
 Performed on-site inspections of residential and commercial properties to determine extent of damage and costs to repair and/or replace fiscal and real property losses.
 Duties also included the collection, analysis and development of cost information for both fiscal and real property on residential and construction.
The agency failed to fulfill its promises under the PMF program.
Presidential Management Fellow (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJune 25, 2014
When I first started working at this agency, I was really excited. The Small Business Administration has a great mission. Small businesses are the key to America's economy and I had the opportunity to work on a lot of high-profile projects through the PMF program. Those who make it through the extremely competitive PMF vetting process are supposed to receive: (1) growth and development opportunities and career development mentorship, (2) eighty hours of education and training opportunities each year, and (3) external developmental rotations with other agencies to "try out" other cultures and see where your best fit is in the federal service.

However, after the first few months, the agency started falling short on its promises. I found myself rotating from work station to work station because they had no permanent place for me. And, even though I came to them with two graduate degrees, I ended up as a glorified copy room assistant/mailroom clerk for four or five months -- doing nothing but putting together packets of materials they needed to ship out to the district offices.

They did eventually outsource this work and they allowed me to go on a few field visits. However, I was repeatedly asked to put in extra hours and log "comp time" which they never allowed me to take. It was always a dramatic production to take any of the leave I earned. And, I was asked to put off all of the education and training and the external developmental rotations for the first year.

Finally, after they front loaded all of the work and it was time for them to start paying for the education and training
  more... and the external developmental rotations, they renegged on their promises and terminated me. And, the agency did nothing about it. I would strongly urge PMFs to avoid this agency at all costs. If you make it through the vetting process, you're a commodity to the federal service and other agencies will take care of you a lot better than this one does.  less
Pros
great mission
Cons
doesn't take care of pmfs
Assist people from FEMA
Loan Officer/Underwriter (Former Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXJune 14, 2014
Great place to work! you work 10 hour days 7 days a wek but its nice to know that you help people who need it.
Pros
love helping people in need
Cons
no benifts
Positive and Opened Minded
Customer Service Clerk (Former Employee) –  Irving TexasMay 8, 2014
I'm really able to attack anything that comes my way. Screening and receiving
fun place to work
Loan Processor (Current Employee) –  Citrus Heights, CAMarch 17, 2014
great,,, love this job,,, great place to work,,,, bosses are great
good
A Great opportunity to learn.
Program Support Assistant (Former Employee) –  Citrus Heights, CAMarch 1, 2014
It is a nice environment to work in. It offers lots of hand on training and growth within the company.
Pros
you can gain good job skills
Cons
its a temporary position
Na
Chief of Finance (Current Employee) –  Denver, ColoradoFebruary 24, 2014
Government agency established in 1953. Best mission statement in the Federal Government
Pros
na
Cons
na
Business Lending position
Supervisory Loan Officer (Current Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXFebruary 11, 2014
Management opportunity, completed and processed complex business loans. Supervised other loan officers to approve loans up to $2 million.

U.S. Small Business Administration Reviews by Location