U.S. Small Business Administration

U.S. Small Business Administration Employer Reviews

A Great opportunity to learn.
Program Support Assistant (Former Employee), Citrus Heights, CAMarch 1, 2014
Pros: you can gain good job skills
Cons: its a temporary position
It is a nice environment to work in. It offers lots of hand on training and growth within the company.
NA
Chief of Finance (Current Employee), Denver, ColoradoFebruary 24, 2014
Pros: na
Cons: na
Government agency established in 1953. Best mission statement in the Federal Government
Business Lending position
Supervisory Loan Officer (Current Employee), Fort Worth, TXFebruary 11, 2014
Management opportunity, completed and processed complex business loans. Supervised other loan officers to approve loans up to $2 million.
Very busy but exciting place to work
Loan Officer/ Underwriter (Former Employee), Fort Worth, TXFebruary 4, 2014
My experience at SBA was incredible. You get the chance to help out hundreds of people who've lost their homes and businesses.
great learning experiance
APEX Contractor - Underwriter/Site Manager (Former Employee), Fresno, CAJanuary 13, 2014
Pros: a very educational job
Cons: na
I started out as a loan officer and was promoted to site supervisor. I learned a great deal about commercial real estate. I learned a great deal about bankruptcy and foreclosure and loan liquidation.
My co - workers were nice people.
The hardest part of my job was not being able to help a client save their business.
The most enjoyable part of my job – more... was training new hires. – less
Productive Workplace
Loan Officer (Current Employee), Citrus Heights, CAJanuary 13, 2014
Productive Workplace good place to work...............................................................................................................................................................
Loan Officer/Customer Service
Loan Officer/Customer Service (Former Employee), Fort Worth, TXDecember 4, 2013
Pros: we had luncheon all the time
Cons: work hours
• Performs a variety of duties associated with providing disaster loan assistance to customers from across the United States, and in U. S. Territories and Commonwealths.
• Review and analyze all pertinent loan application facts, determining eligibility and recommendations for loan applications
• Write reports supporting recommendations and other conditions – more... relative to the loan application.
• Maintains effective portfolio management and records status of all loan disbursements and status of required documentation
• Communicates with insurance carriers, financial institutions and other third parties to obtain relevant information for loan recommendations.
• Prepare files in Disaster Credit Management System including pertinent details, analysis, and justifications to substantiate recommendations are in compliance with loan application
• Performs administrative assignments relevant to various forms, reports, correspondence and other loan documents
Provide responses to inquiries from applicants, their representative/ agents, and others concerning status of applications, reasons for Agency actions.

The hardest part of the job sometimes was the work hours......we would work 10hrs a day 7 days a week.
The most enjoyable part of the job was the co workers. – less
Productive and attention to details
Loan Officer (Former Employee), Fort Worth, TXNovember 19, 2013
Fast paced work envirnoment with little to none supervision, learned how to process and complete Government's loans modification and maintain confidentality during the process, managment very proactive with colleagues, job was not difficult due to management assistance availability, team orientation and collaboration was the most enjoyable aspect of – more... the job. – less
Assist disaster damaged businesses and residents in closing and disbursing loans
Attorney (Former Employee), Fort Worth, TXNovember 11, 2013
High volume and fast paced every day. The most difficult part of the job was reliance upon others to complete a portion of the process in a timely fashion.
SBA doesn't capture its potential
Attorney Advisor (Former Employee), Fort Worth, TXOctober 23, 2013
Pros: location, can't take work home with you
Cons: inflexible hours, opaque management
I worked almost a year as a temporary employee at SBA, and came away intensely disappointed. The work is fine-- not deeply legal, but engaging-- but the management lived fully up to its reputation. I've never witnessed worse people management. Surprisingly, the work atmosphere is pretty good. I enjoyed my time at SBA, even while knowing it couldn't – more... end well. Most of the employees behave professionally while at work. But the constant threat of layoffs give the business a gallows humor, and the opaque treatment of layoffs is 180 degrees wrong.

SBA repeatedly lays off workers just months from retirement; it made work hours less flexible (for bad reasons); decision making occurs in an intensely sclerotic hierarchy where one manager passes the buck to a higher one, forgetting the person affected by the decision. Managers don't (or won't) communicate to workers how workers compare with others, so firings appear arbitrary, at best-- or corrupt at worse. There's a soap-opera-worthy backstory to who's in charge and why, but the participants maintain professionalism, and the losers in the drama do not poison the well.

The work itself is a mixed bag-- the SBA disaster loan program is a broken program, and the lawyers and paralegals in charge of implementing it have almost impossible tasks. Management gets shuffled in and out in hopes that somebody can fix it, but the program itself is so full of conflicts and stupid requirements that I suspect any attempt to make it more efficient without simultaneous amendment of the statutes that govern the program will be frustrating and fruitless. – less
N/A
Customer Support Representative (Former Employee), Buffalo, NYOctober 22, 2013
It was often a long work day, which was good--made the job = $62,000 in early days (6-7 days per week), but the big brother approach was disrespectful, albeit efficient (so to speak).

I learned how to correspond with clients over the phone.
Co-workers were great!
Management did what they're supposed to do.
Fast paced environment
Public Affairs Specialist (Current Employee), Hadley, NYSeptember 16, 2013
Management supports the cultivation of talent. No single day is like any other.
Education and outreach to prospective small business owners
Business Opportunity Specialist (Current Employee), El Paso, TXAugust 31, 2013
Pros: getting to work with veterans
Cons: being located in el paso
This job has been a good opportunity to broaden my knowledge of business and financial management. The most enjoyable part of this job has been working with military personnel at Fort Bliss, TX. I also serve as liaison with the Service Corps of Retired Executives (SCORE) and with the local Native American tribe, the Tiguas.

To enhance my understanding – more... of business principles and practices, I have taken a course of work offered by the local Small Business Development Center. Through this Small Business Management Institute program, I am now able to analyze business plans, work ratios to determine the health of a company, and put together strategic marketing plans. This program was self-financed.

The hardest part of this job is doing file analysis for my 8(a) business clients. Since this process is new to me, and there is no formal training available, I am learning how to do this "piecemeal". I like to learn things utilizing proprietary training courses, which the SBA has no funds to finance.

A typical day at work for me will depend on the time of the month. During the last two weeks of the month, I focus on preparing for and then delivering the "Boots to Business" workshop. This is a program created by the SBA with Syracuse University to teach transitioning military personnel at Fort Bliss about how to start their own businesses. This is the most enjoyable aspect of my job.

During the remainder of the month, I maybe be doing outreach and educational activities with SCORE, the Tiguas or Veterans organization in the community. I serve as the veteran business liaison in our office, so these activities are priorities for me. Other days I am in the office, reviewing 8(a) program files and passing along pertinent information to my portfolio of companies that might help them grow their businesses.

I also serve as backup Public Information Officer and payroll technician. I have been tasked with organizing and implementing the annual Small Business Week activities which include a variety of different procedures over the course of months, culminating in a Small Business Week Awards Luncheon in May. – less
Didnt like the way Contractors were treated
Project Management Consultant/ Master Scheduler (Current Employee), Washington, DCAugust 7, 2013
Pros: convienent to metro
Cons: na
Contractors treated unfairly. Intemidation from Government principal.
Great Job
Paralegal Specialist (Former Employee), Fort Worth, TXJune 11, 2013
Great job, you don't take the stress of work home with you. Benefits fantastic as well as pay. Only downside is the budget gets cut often so many months in non pay status
Good Supportive Staff and Team Orineted Work Environment
General Clerk III/Financial Technician (Current Employee), Washington D.C.April 30, 2013
A typical day at work would include, a lot of admin, analysis, and communication. Several times a day i communicate with lender's and do initial analysis of all lender's applying for the 7a guaranty loan programs.

I've learned several new things when it comes to the financial lending field, including Capital Adiquacy, Proper Loan Reporting, necessary – more... and required loan experience, and Risk based assements.

Although, we have multiple tiers of management, i work very often with my direct superviosr to provide support to the entire team of Financial Technicians and Financial Anylysts. I communicate everyday and ver well with my direct supervisor on a daily basis.

Co-workers range from support staff to team leaders/supervisors. I generally work more with the support staff and my direct team lead/supervisor.

The Hardest part of the job is the attention to detail you must have to determine initial requirements at SBA. Lender's must meet the minimum requirements in several areas to be considered for review and approval to gain a guaranteed loan authority.

The most enjoyable part of my job would be how well my direct team lead/supervisor treats us and supports us as a staff. She makes it easy to do the job and gives us everything we need and fights for us to make sure we can do our jobs properly. – less
Greatest benefit is knowing that you are helping people reset their home/business.
Construction Analyst (Current Employee), Fairfield, CAApril 22, 2013
Pros: get to experience various parts of the country
Cons: working/living away from family for an unknown length of time
Performed on-site inspections of rental, residential and commercial properties to determine the extent of damage and costs to repair and/or replace property.

Scheduled appointments with potential loan applicants seeking assistance; answered questions at the inspection site; and prepared worksheets using automated software to transmit data electronically.

Maintained – more... a professional and productive work environment while conducting business in nationally condemned disaster effected areas. – less
Temporary Job for Federal Government
Paralegal/Legal Assistant (Former Employee), Fort Worth, TXApril 4, 2013
Pros: rewarding because you were helping people who suffered a disaster
Cons: when the work was over the job ended.
It was very good experience, speed and accuracy were extremely important. Long hours and a lot of overtime. Processed loans for Federal disaster victims and proof reading documents for accuracy.
Productive, Educational
Business Opportunity Assistant (Former Employee), Omaha, NEJanuary 25, 2013
Pros: constant challenge, no day is the same, many benefits
Cons: n/a
Provides many shifts in order to help employees with work/life balance. Learned to speak in front of groups, teach, work with communities, chambers of commerce, local, county, state and federal governments.

Learned to work with many software applications because they gave training constantly. Also traveled to different communities within State to work – more... with diverse groups. – less
Sacramento LGPC STAY AWAY
LOAN SPECIALISTS (Former Employee), Citrus Heights Sacramento CANovember 16, 2012
Pros: none a waste of your carreer if your a professional.
Cons: too many to mention. good old boys corrupt to the core. abusing the federal govt system.
This is the most horrific place anyone can work for. Management is corrupt to the core. Abusers abound and their top managers support the corrupt environment. Old concepts in a modern world dont mix. Still in the 1950s.
If it werent for the fact they are bailing the banks out by guaranteeing repayment of their bad loans. This agency would not be alive. – more... If your a non professional without a degree youll fit right in. A bunch of incompetents sucking up our tax dollars at work. Literally. – less

About U.S. Small Business Administration

The U.S. Small Business Administration, founded in 1953, champions the cause of small businesses, helping entrepreneurs start, – Read more