U.S. Small Business Administration

U.S. Small Business Administration United States Employee Reviews

fun, hard work
LOAN OFFICER 3 (Current Employee), Citrus Heights, CAMarch 20, 2015
Pros: helping people with loans
Cons: 7 day a week 12 hour days
excellent part time job, sad SBA does not appreciate the good people the hire.

Good tech support, excellent computers

co-workers mostly dedicated and smart

hardest part was the hours, 12 a day, 7 days a week

Enjoyable part help others in need.
Enjoyed it until my last two years
Administrative Support Specialist (Former Employee), Fort Worth, TXFebruary 1, 2015
Pros: hourly pay.
Cons: managment
I loved and miss my coworkers, and everyday was different, with a new set of challenges. However, a few people can make a job miserable.
Good
Loan Officer/Loan Assistant (Former Employee), Fort Worth, TXJanuary 12, 2015
Pros: pot lucks, short breaks, healthcare, lunch hours 45 min, flexible request for time off
Cons: no days off, worked more than 40hrs week
Great place to work management cared about their personnel
compensation benefits were good, job culture enjoyable work balance was hard work more than 40 hrs/7 days a week.
Execelent enviroment, great training
Business Analyst Intern (Current Employee), Fresno CaliforniaDecember 6, 2014
Pros: training, career advancement, professional enviroment.
Excellent place to work. Powerhouse executives controlling boardrooms, and managing projects with expertise. Where I learned the technical skills of being an analyst. My day consists of constructing/managing/administrating dashboard databases, records management, technical writing, financial forecasting, and trend analysis.
productive work enviroment
Construction Analyst (Former Employee), Herndon, VAJune 27, 2014
 Using a practical knowledge of architectural design and construction practices, performed examinations of federal construction standards (IBC 2006), the estimation of costs of construction or repair of both residential and commercial construction.
 Performed on-site inspections of residential and commercial properties to determine extent of damage and costs to repair and/or replace fiscal and real property losses.
 Duties also included the collection, analysis and development of cost information for both fiscal and real property on residential and construction.
The agency failed to fulfill its promises under the PMF program.
Presidential Management Fellow (Former Employee), Washington, DCJune 25, 2014
Pros: great mission
Cons: doesn't take care of pmfs
When I first started working at this agency, I was really excited. The Small Business Administration has a great mission. Small businesses are the key to America's economy and I had the opportunity to work on a lot of high-profile projects through the PMF program. Those who make it through the extremely competitive PMF vetting process are supposed to receive: (1) growth and development opportunities and career development mentorship, (2) eighty hours of education and training opportunities each year, and (3) external developmental rotations with other agencies to "try out" other cultures and see where your best fit is in the federal service.

However, after the first few months, the agency started falling short on its promises. I found myself rotating from work station to work station because they had no permanent place for me. And, even though I came to them with two graduate degrees, I ended up as a glorified copy room assistant/mailroom clerk for four or five months -- doing nothing but putting together packets of materials they needed to ship out to the district offices.

They did eventually outsource this work and they allowed me to go on a few field visits. However, I was repeatedly asked to put in extra hours and log "comp time" which they never allowed me to take. It was always a dramatic production to take any of the leave I earned. And, I was asked to put off all of the education and training and the external developmental rotations for the first year.

Finally, after they front loaded all of the work and it was time for them to start paying for the education and training and the external developmental rotations, they renegged on their promises and terminated me. And, the agency did nothing about it. I would strongly urge PMFs to avoid this agency at all costs. If you make it through the vetting process, you're a commodity to the federal service and other agencies will take care of you a lot better than this one does.
Assist people from FEMA
Loan Officer/Underwriter (Former Employee), Fort Worth, TXJune 14, 2014
Pros: love helping people in need
Cons: no benifts
Great place to work! you work 10 hour days 7 days a wek but its nice to know that you help people who need it.
Positive and Opened Minded
Customer Service Clerk (Former Employee), Irving TexasMay 8, 2014
I'm really able to attack anything that comes my way. Screening and receiving
fun place to work
Loan Processor (Current Employee), Citrus Heights, CAMarch 17, 2014
Pros: good
great,,, love this job,,, great place to work,,,, bosses are great
A Great opportunity to learn.
Program Support Assistant (Former Employee), Citrus Heights, CAMarch 1, 2014
Pros: you can gain good job skills
Cons: its a temporary position
It is a nice environment to work in. It offers lots of hand on training and growth within the company.
NA
Chief of Finance (Current Employee), Denver, ColoradoFebruary 24, 2014
Pros: na
Cons: na
Government agency established in 1953. Best mission statement in the Federal Government
Business Lending position
Supervisory Loan Officer (Current Employee), Fort Worth, TXFebruary 11, 2014
Management opportunity, completed and processed complex business loans. Supervised other loan officers to approve loans up to $2 million.
Very busy but exciting place to work
Loan Officer/ Underwriter (Former Employee), Fort Worth, TXFebruary 4, 2014
My experience at SBA was incredible. You get the chance to help out hundreds of people who've lost their homes and businesses.
great learning experiance
APEX Contractor - Underwriter/Site Manager (Former Employee), Fresno, CAJanuary 13, 2014
Pros: a very educational job
Cons: na
I started out as a loan officer and was promoted to site supervisor. I learned a great deal about commercial real estate. I learned a great deal about bankruptcy and foreclosure and loan liquidation.
My co - workers were nice people.
The hardest part of my job was not being able to help a client save their business.
The most enjoyable part of my job was training new hires.
Productive Workplace
Loan Officer (Current Employee), Citrus Heights, CAJanuary 13, 2014
Productive Workplace good place to work...............................................................................................................................................................
Loan Officer/Customer Service
Loan Officer/Customer Service (Former Employee), Fort Worth, TXDecember 4, 2013
Pros: we had luncheon all the time
Cons: work hours
• Performs a variety of duties associated with providing disaster loan assistance to customers from across the United States, and in U. S. Territories and Commonwealths.
• Review and analyze all pertinent loan application facts, determining eligibility and recommendations for loan applications
• Write reports supporting recommendations and other conditions relative to the loan application.
• Maintains effective portfolio management and records status of all loan disbursements and status of required documentation
• Communicates with insurance carriers, financial institutions and other third parties to obtain relevant information for loan recommendations.
• Prepare files in Disaster Credit Management System including pertinent details, analysis, and justifications to substantiate recommendations are in compliance with loan application
• Performs administrative assignments relevant to various forms, reports, correspondence and other loan documents
Provide responses to inquiries from applicants, their representative/ agents, and others concerning status of applications, reasons for Agency actions.

The hardest part of the job sometimes was the work hours......we would work 10hrs a day 7 days a week.
The most enjoyable part of the job was the co workers.
Productive and attention to details
Loan Officer (Former Employee), Fort Worth, TXNovember 19, 2013
Fast paced work envirnoment with little to none supervision, learned how to process and complete Government's loans modification and maintain confidentality during the process, managment very proactive with colleagues, job was not difficult due to management assistance availability, team orientation and collaboration was the most enjoyable aspect of the job.
Assist disaster damaged businesses and residents in closing and disbursing loans
Attorney (Former Employee), Fort Worth, TXNovember 11, 2013
High volume and fast paced every day. The most difficult part of the job was reliance upon others to complete a portion of the process in a timely fashion.
SBA doesn't capture its potential
Attorney Advisor (Former Employee), Fort Worth, TXOctober 23, 2013
Pros: location, can't take work home with you
Cons: inflexible hours, opaque management
I worked almost a year as a temporary employee at SBA, and came away intensely disappointed. The work is fine-- not deeply legal, but engaging-- but the management lived fully up to its reputation. I've never witnessed worse people management. Surprisingly, the work atmosphere is pretty good. I enjoyed my time at SBA, even while knowing it couldn't end well. Most of the employees behave professionally while at work. But the constant threat of layoffs give the business a gallows humor, and the opaque treatment of layoffs is 180 degrees wrong.

SBA repeatedly lays off workers just months from retirement; it made work hours less flexible (for bad reasons); decision making occurs in an intensely sclerotic hierarchy where one manager passes the buck to a higher one, forgetting the person affected by the decision. Managers don't (or won't) communicate to workers how workers compare with others, so firings appear arbitrary, at best-- or corrupt at worse. There's a soap-opera-worthy backstory to who's in charge and why, but the participants maintain professionalism, and the losers in the drama do not poison the well.

The work itself is a mixed bag-- the SBA disaster loan program is a broken program, and the lawyers and paralegals in charge of implementing it have almost impossible tasks. Management gets shuffled in and out in hopes that somebody can fix it, but the program itself is so full of conflicts and stupid requirements that I suspect any attempt to make it more efficient without simultaneous amendment of the statutes that govern the program will be frustrating and fruitless.
N/A
Customer Support Representative (Former Employee), Buffalo, NYOctober 22, 2013
It was often a long work day, which was good--made the job = $62,000 in early days (6-7 days per week), but the big brother approach was disrespectful, albeit efficient (so to speak).

I learned how to correspond with clients over the phone.
Co-workers were great!
Management did what they're supposed to do.

About U.S. Small Business Administration

The U.S. Small Business Administration, founded in 1953, champions the cause of small businesses, helping entrepreneurs start, – Read more

U.S. Small Business Administration Salaries