U.S. Vision Employee Reviews

Be careful no job security
Licensed optician manager (Former Employee) –  Toledo ohioDecember 18, 2016
I worked for the company for 10 years and was fired for not selling enough two Pairs of glasses to each and every customer. No training from senor management
Cons
No training from corporate
management
District Manager (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXMay 27, 2016
the turnover in senior management very high, stability and job security very low. Job culture changes too frequently.
Fast paced work environment
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Blackwood, NJOctober 10, 2015
Management was able to solve problems professionally. Unrealistic quotas had to be made. Other employees are easy to get a long with. The do not pay there employees enough for the amount of work that they are required to do
Pros
Free lunches. Heath benefits
Cons
Short breaks, unrealistic quotas, Low pay
Will compensate you for job well done
Apprenticing Optician (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHMay 31, 2016
This is a company that works out of JcPenny's optical department. Optician is a job that begins as an apprentice and ends with a State test in the state of Ohio. There are a lot of tedious important things to know and learn. You work one on one with clients and their prescriptions. Only two - three people per store so you will be given plenty of work hours.
Pros
If you hit the correct number of sales, bonuses are given
Cons
Little room for error-- you are working with someone's vision
Enjoyable retail sales job
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  JC Penney Optical Birmingham, ALFebruary 20, 2012
I enjoyed working for U.S. Vision. The pay was far superior than any other retail optical that i had worked for. The hours were a little better. The overall operation of the stor was a lot better. Being that the store was so small I didn't ahve to work with a lot of people. The only thing was that since it was in the mall it was open on Sund unlike most of the other free-standing retail optical stores.
Pros
store and mall discount, commission based salary, very laid back position.
Cons
short lunches, open during retail hours, work weekends and some holidays
Horrible Company to work for
Staff Accountant (Former Employee) –  Blackwood, NJApril 11, 2016
This company does not care about its employees! They will let you go in a heartbeat and not think twice about it. Expect the world out of you for peanuts!!!! Tons of Nepotism within company and your job is in jeopardy if one family member or married spouse hints at dislike!
Pros
NONE
Cons
Anything you can think of
It was ok but I new I can do better
Optical Technician (Former Employee) –  McAllen, TXApril 9, 2012
It was a good experience for me, I had so much fun working there, but the reason I left is the reason I rated them so low, they dont hear out the employees.
Pros
great benefits, good pay, worked with a eye dr.
Cons
stress out if we didnt have our quota for the day, no overtime, not so great management
My overall rating is good
Production Worker/Daycare (Current Employee) –  Glendora, NJFebruary 25, 2013
I am an teachers aide. I learned how to work as a team. My co workers are nice.
benefits
Cons
my job does not relate to my college major.
Started a store for them and was replaced by someone whom I trained for less money.
Manager (Former Employee) –  Tiffany Springs, MOOctober 7, 2013
Not much of a review to write. Worked for the company back in the 90s till early 2000s, It was a good place to work. I was invited back to open a new store. When management changed hands above me, it became a circus with bad management ideas, I had to comply with. I over came them and had the highest profits in the area for the store and than was fired for no reason given that would comply with a company policy of termination. It was due to jealousy and bogus ideas of upper management. Ive never written a bad review for a company , but this one is well deserved.
Pros
not many
Cons
upper managment doesnt care about its people, only cares about what makes them look good in the eyes of their superiors
incredible potential for higher production if changes in management
Optical manager (Former Employee) –  MiamiApril 4, 2013
US vision had recently changed the computer system. Former employees said it took 3 months to train. I learned the system on about one month however I was switched to another store to learn the insurance.The person training me did not know how to teach. Certain learning comes through repetition and I was constantly belittled by being told " remember" I was left with my customer for over 30 min while the others made multiple sales and commissions. I was labeled a non acting manager until further notice. I was hired at a time when sales were dropping, even the Doctors appt book was declining in appointments and for some reason it was my fault the goals were not met. I was told to move to a third location for a "personality" trial. I felt pressure when the optical got very busy with two ringing phones people would spontaneously walk in with orders, repairs, and to pick up glasses. they would notice and actually comment "you need a helper" but instead I felt pressure and single out that I can't handle it and basically felt forced to quit. The customer receipt system should be more transparent to the customer, the frame quality should be better, the training should be professional, and headquarters should allow the employee training to send an anonymous report if they feel their training is just, proper, and that they are being treated with respect. It is more important to make a sale to reach goals, than providing other optic issues that are important.I was hired at 35 hrs then cut to 30 hrs , many other seasoned employees hours were cut back as well, some did get raises but these  more... were the non licensed.  less
Pros
health insurance 401k store discount vacation
Cons
poor training, short lunches, called on your day off
Management did not communicate well.
Optician (Former Employee) –  NashuaMay 7, 2012
It was a good place to work until you were micro managed by 3 managers that did not communicate with each other. They hired people that did not know what they were doing to manage stores. Played favorites with promotions.
Pros
flexible hours, good people to work with.
Cons
management. all lunches were working lunches, it was expected.
Loved my manager
Stock Associate (Former Employee) –  Blackwood, NJAugust 10, 2015
My manager was the best, always taught me something new and worked herself not just sat at desk. Co workers were also amazing and all worked well together. This by far was my favorite job.
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Not much advancement
Great hours initially and a good starting point for management growth.
Certified Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Buford, GAMay 21, 2014
I enjoyed the sense of control I had on the day-to-day process. Being able to make decisions for the office, hiring associates, and making the schedules. Also, inspecting the finished eyewear and being able to remake something that didn't pass standards. My first district manager was an amazing support system for me. Moving to a new district and state was a disappointment however. The company eliminated a brand entirely therefore many people were laid off including myself. It was done immorally & unethically. Giving none of us a two week notice nor a reason for being cut. I was told it was nothing I did, just the company downsizing. What their formula was, I don't know. Nonetheless, I have many great memories and wish to just move on to a new environment that rewarded employees and kept the lines of communication open!
Pros
Commission
Cons
We didn't get great commission, especially when a months' goal wasn't met. Even if individual goal was.
Think twice
Optical specialist (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXFebruary 24, 2015
Management is selfish employees are underpaid. Stress levels are high. Upper management lazy and "uppity" they aim to intimidate. Commission pay is low and delayed you have to wait a month to get your pay for it, Stores closed in JCPenney locations leaving people jobless and upper management did not seem to care. CHOOSE WISELY NOT U.S.Vision
Pros
Non
Cons
Help people with their sight
Optician (Former Employee) –  COMay 14, 2013
With four locations, I got around on the bus very well. The doctors were wonderful and the customers were great. Teammates worked together and long hours with no breaks. Customers came first. One big happy family.
Pros
The Doctors
Cons
Long bus rides
Ok but no loyalty
lab tech (Former Employee) –  glendora njOctober 14, 2014
i worked for 7 yrs for this company. Worked as a supervisor in lab without supervisor pay trained new people only to find out I was training a new supervisor. When asked why I didn't get the position my pay rate would have been over the cap.
Pros
Daycare on site
Cons
management sucks no loyalty
A challenging and interesting field
Optician (Current Employee) –  Woodbridge, VAMay 26, 2015
The opportunity to work with a supportive and knowledgeable group of people.
Challenging and interesting but also very satisfying in the knowledge of knowing that i am improving the quality of life for every patient i come in contact with.
Pros
relaxed environment
Cons
traveling to different locations
Great selection of glasses for the clients
Optech/ Optician Trainee (Current Employee) –  Albany, NYJune 30, 2015
The selection and prices of the glasses went hand in hand when it came down to the final cost of purchasing and the sales were a great way to attract the clients in and show them the new styles with-in the selection
I love the job but i do not appreciatew the company
Optical Technician (Current Employee) –  Media, PAMarch 22, 2015
I have worked for this company for some time now and I haven't been able to move up at all. This company does not appreciate their workers and take us for granted. I am currently still here because I need to pay my bills
Optician (Current Employee) –  Redding, CAJuly 11, 2012
You help each patient who walks through the door. You are required to greet them with a long spill about the sales and what you can get on your lenses. You have to do it because they send in secret shoppers all the time. Department is small gets busy. The manager you work for is super sweet a great trainer. You just have to be able to work under pressure.
Pros
rasises are yearly
Cons
small department, busy, understaffed

Ask a question about working or interviewing at U.S. Vision. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9