U.S. Xpress Enterprises, Inc.

U.S. Xpress Enterprises, Inc. Employee Reviews in United States

Team Driver Geared company
Professional Driver (Former Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNAugust 2, 2015
Large company that covered all of the United States and Canada. Multiple accounts with companies to carry freight including Dollar General, Wal-Mart, Target, Tractor Supply Company and many more. When I joined U.S. Xpress Enterprises I was fresh out of CDL school and spent four weeks with a trainer from Minnesota. My trainer was responsible for a dedicated account which covered parts of Minnesota and went to Illinois mainly Chicago rail yard. Training went very well. I learned a lot and experienced a lot. After training I went solo OTR. My issues began there. I experienced issues with my fifth wheel, shifting, no engine brake. I requested another truck where again I had more issues DEF regeneration issues, filters, bunk heater went out in dead of winter. All of these issues caused me to spend a lot of time in a hotel waiting for the shops to fix them. I was paid Fifty dollars a day for break down. I spent more time in a hotel then running miles. Dispatch was not on top of load assignments as far as paying attention to when your home time was or what your location was. Appointment times were next to impossible to meet because dispatch most times sent you a load that was already late. I learned a lot on my own the times I was on road. U.S. Xpress is a team driver priority kind of company. They get first priority almost every time. If you were solo or dedicated you were put off till later.
Pros
Great training, Insurance after three months, self learning experience
Cons
Dispact, communication, poor upkeep with OTR trucks
can be a hassle sometimes
otr driver (Current Employee) –  tunnel hill, gaJuly 27, 2015
been with usxpress for a couple months now... was great at first but drastically changed. my fleet manager works with me a lot to get great results but when it comes time to do a 34 reset they dont want to bargain with you and give you your break. a lot of trailer hunting if your otr my suggestion is go dedicated and stay dedicated. otr has too many screwups on managements end and will blame the driver. alot of the time the address they dispatch you on is incorrect. and dont be fooled about the drop and hook ratio.. its there but 70-80% of freight is live.
Pros
home time when you need it, pay is ok as long as your running the truck, full benefit package, new equipment
Cons
poor communication skills with management, not enough otr miles, slow shop time, too much live freight
Great company but not compensated well
Safety Compliance Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNJune 24, 2015
I work from 8pm-7am. Normally when I begin my shift I get hammered with numerous phone calls until about 1am. Then there is down time until about 6am when it picks back up. I enjoy my job but there isnt any room for advancement and no raises. Since I've been with the company: the guy who trained me and my supervisor have both left for companies that compensated them better. I enjoy my job and would like to stay but would also like to get paid in order to provide more for my family.
Pros
Company benefits and environment
Cons
Compensation and Promotions
You are a number
Driver (Former Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNJune 3, 2015
You are nothing more than a number. Do not pass go. Do not collect 200 dollars. Well, actually only collect 200 dollars because that's your expected paycheck.
Great company for starting CDL career
Company Driver (Current Employee) –  Pageland, SCJune 1, 2015
I enjoy my work schedule and the pay and benefits are exceedingly well. They work with me when I need assistance on the road.
Disappointing Company
Finance (Former Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNMay 1, 2015
US xpress does not have a company match for 401K, health insurance benefits are very high and no type of raise. The finance department has high turn over of employees. Management is poor and does not address the high turn over rate has long has they have a warm body to do the work. Also due to the high turn over rate extra hours are need plus saturdays to finish the work. This company is very disorganized and uses out of date software for it's financial system and in turn makes your job very tedious and time consuming.

Not all is bad. It is a large company in a good location and is very clean.
Pros
Large company
Fast Paced Office
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNApril 23, 2015
I communicated with customers on a daily basis and helped get pick-up and delivery appts scheduled for freight. Answered phone calls and email daily. Made spot quotes and solicited extra freight.
Probably the best truck company to work for.
OTR Tractor Trailer Driver (Current Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNApril 18, 2015
I have been with this company for a very long time. Benefits are great and their pay scale is at the top of the industry. They keep the equipment well maintained and they listen to drivers' concerns.
Pros
Excellent equipment with many high tech advantages.
Cons
There seems to be a lot of waste and inefficiency.
Dedicated driver
Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  paApril 16, 2015
Starting off they give you a good amount of hours. however when they hire on new drivers your hours decrease. dispatch does not take responsibility when they make mistakes. they put there mistakes on the drivers.
fun place to work
Over the road Truck Driver (Current Employee) –  chattenooga tnApril 13, 2015
great job otr driver i get to see alot of beautiful sites drive top of the equiptment management goes out of there way to try to keep you happy
dedicated driver
Dedicated Truck Driver (Current Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNApril 1, 2015
US Xpress is a good company if you are on a dedicated account miles are predictable and hometime. to me all trucking company are the same if you can handle the drama you can put up with that company. I have work for three large trucking companies and found USX is the company for me.
Pros
Large company
Cons
rude staffing in certain departments
Great starter company
US Express OTR Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Irving, TXMarch 9, 2015
US XPRESS is one of the largest Trucking companies and offer many benefits. Being an over the road a typical day is sitting behind a steering wheel all day. The lifestyle is nice seeing different parts of the country everyday but staying gone for 2-3 weeks at a time with only two days off at home was wearing on the family.
Pros
great benefits, pay
Cons
hours, being gone from family
Stressful
Company Driver (OTR) Class A CDL (Former Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNFebruary 27, 2015
Management needs to be more professional
Some co workers were very supportive, others were excited about getting people fired.
If driving locally, the company gives you the worst equipment ever, landing gear is extremely hard to turn, trailer doors are always broken, headlights were always out!
Shared trucks with another driver (skip seat) which can be horrible if the driver is not clean or a smoker.
Pros
not much!
Cons
most everything!
Poor. Poor. Poor.
Company Driver (Current Employee) –  OTRFebruary 23, 2015
If you come in as a solo driver.....good luck. Started dedicated dollar general.....wasn't for me. Switched to OTR. Ha ha ha. Broke down my second day out. Spent 10 hrs at the terminal to be told I had to go to a hotel for the night and they don't know when the truck will be fixed. Big big big mistake. If you choose this company, get your 3 months or 6 months in and get out. Or just don't come here at all. It is ruining truck driving for me and I'm about ready to quit but I know once I get experience and move on it will get better.
Pros
none.
Cons
just about everything.
Average Place to work
Fleet Manager/Account Supervisor (Former Employee) –  PAFebruary 19, 2015
Decent compensation and you stay busy as a fleet manager, however, upper management is a different story. Constantly changing things that are working, changing employees on a new account start up, providing under achieving drivers with loads and opportunities after they've failed so many times and certain drivers to rule the roost that shouldn't. Leaving capable, harder working drivers that meet delivery times to call looking for work constantly and they shouldn't have to.
Honestly, upper management is a joke.
Pros
decent environment, benefits and compensation
Cons
poor upper management decisions
I loved working at US Xpress Dedicated
Dedicated Operations Intern (Former Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNFebruary 11, 2015
During my time at USX Dedicated I learned many things. It was my first position at USX and they taught me how to make work fun and challenging every day. USX taught me responsibility and how things work interchangeably within the workplace.
Fuel Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNFebruary 4, 2015
Answering phone calls from drivers needing a variety of things, fuel card issues, money, permits. I leaned a lot of customer service skills having to help solve problems. My co-workers where all great people, sometimes things got overwhelming but it would always work out in the end. The thing I enjoyed most was the friendships I made with people that also worked there in my department and other ones.
challenging work environment.Great people on the front lines
director over extended coverage operations (Former Employee) –  chattanooga,tnJanuary 22, 2015
worked in conjunction with my daytime counterparts to make sure of company goals, and objectives were being met as an organization. hardest part of the job was balancing out work, and home life. the most enjoyable part of my job was working with people, and problem solving.
worse than stevens
OTR Driver (Former Employee) –  chat. tnJanuary 13, 2015
horrible company, i only worked there for 3 weeks and in that short amount of time i learned very quickly that if your manager is bad that you will not get anywhere or get any money. most of my time was spent in the shop or with a broke down truck. my truck broke down the same night it got out the shop, which i spent 3 days on the yard waiting for repairs, when i brought my truck in they said it was 3k miles over due.. i only have the truck for 10 days and sat around waiting for a load 4 out of the 10 days. so basically they gave me a bad truck and to make matters worse when i did get the truck fixed it broke down near lexington ky, and i sat in a motel for a week with no money and no food. i had to constantly call my manager who never answered the phone, would not send me a cash advance when i did talk o him. horrible company. only good thing is the trucks can do 80 mph when they work
Cheap, poorly managed company
OTR Driver, Team Driver, Dedicated Driver (Current Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNJanuary 3, 2015
As a solo OTR driver, your experience of this company is completely dictated by your fleet manager, either they get you plenty of miles, and forget that your human and need to stop and shower/eat once in a while, Or they run you so poorly that you paychecks are less than $400 for the week. You are frequently looking for empty trailers, half of the locations they send you to do not have trailers, the other half are so beat up they are not road worthy, which usually requires at least 2 or 3 stops to find a trailer. Often they try to send you out of route, the complete opposite direction, and still pay you for the same miles for the load.

There is absolutely no communication between departments, breakdown hold times are at least 30 minutes, often 1 hour, appointment times are frequently incorrect, detention pay is rarely, if ever, paid, and your paychecks are almost always missing some form of pay your entitled to.

Running as a team or for some dedicated accounts, is the only way to make any kind of money. I drove teams for a good 5 months, we ran an average of 5,000 miles a week. Our paychecks were typically $1,000 a week, on a slow week we still made the same as running 2,500 miles solo. The majority of our loads were FedEx (Los Angeles to Memphis), and Amazon, great miles, great pay, Dispatch actually cares about you. However loads for Shaw and P&G, are often non-existent. They frequently sent 2-3 teams at the same time to Shaw, to pick up a load that doesn't exist. Sent teams to P&G without pick up numbers, and assured us that they would get us one, and wound up sitting for
  more... 2-3 days until they got us a different load, which was also not real. The best pay you can make at US Xpress.

I also worked for two different Wal-Mart accounts, one out of DC#7030 near Pottsville, Pa the other out of DC#6055 in Gas City, IN.
At Pottsville, pay was $960 a week ($160 per day before taxes) just to show up with hours and be available for a load (typically less than 300 mi. round trip), paid even if they don't have a load for you that day. Wal-Mart dispatched us, usually within an hour of showing up to the window, all we had to do was make the deliveries before 2200, send the stops to USX to create a load so we could send our macros. Wal-Mart's end of it was run lawlessly, USX always dropped the ball, I was left to my own devices when I joined the account, to figure out for myself what my job duties were, wasn't even told what macros to send. Typically we were always behind 3 or 4 loads, because the people running the account, were regular dispatchers on a rotation, it was impossible to get a hold of the right person to create the loads for us to process them. Worst part was Philly deliveries, otherwise it was easy.
At Gas City, pay was supposed to be the same, but I worked temporarily for a week and was only paid 4 days, because they pay by the load, and if there isn't one, you get $50 layover. The difference? This DC has a USX office on site. Wal-Mart sent their loads to USX, for them to dispatch to us. We were supposed to call in, when we were available, also set availability before we shut down. Typically you sit between 3-6 hours for a load, that takes about 12 hours to run. usually 300 miles and 3-4 unload stops in the Chicago area, sometime backhaul. So in a week, including the time to run the load and sitting and waiting for one, I only was able to run four loads. Safety was not a concern, they're only concerned about not starting your 14 hr clock, anything else including repairs, was irrelevant. Worst experience with this company so far.

I also worked a Dollar General account for a week, it was basically slave labor. Avoid at all costs.
Pros
flat pay rate, teams, dedicated work
Cons
poor communication, constantly fighting for pay, beat up trailers

2.6