The position is for a full time lab technician (research assistant) to assist the PI in neuropathology research that investigates the pathogenesis of Alzheimer's disease, frontotemporal dementia, and related disorders at UCSF Mission bay campus
The candidate MUST have experience in routine histotechnology and is expected to be open to learn new methods.
Responsibilities will include:
1) brain tissue processing, embedding, microtomy and coverslipping
2) performing basic histological stains (H&E, PAS, silver stainings)
3) performing immunohistochemical staining
4) lab upkeep and maintenance
5) maintain organized and accurate records/lab notebooks
6) use computerized databases,
7) miscellaneous research-related administrative duties.
One year of experience in laboratory histology (embedding, cutting and coversliping)
Working knowledge of lab equipment including balances, pH meters, etc.
Experience in preparing reagents and buffers
- Experience with word processing and database software, such as Microsoft Access and Excel
- Ability to work independently as well as part of a team
- Ability to manage multiple tasks and priorities to achieve desired goals
Impeccable aseptic techniques
Excellent attention to detail
Excellent organization, problem-solving, verbal/written communication and PC skills
The position represents an excellent opportunity to further basic laboratory and research skills in a dynamic clinical neuroscience environment. The successful applicant will be an energetic, self-directed learner with a keen interest in research.
One year of relevant histology laboratory experience IS REQUIRED and certification as as histotechnician, HT (ASCP) or histotechnologist, HTL (ASCP) is desirable.
A two-year commitment is preferred; applicants must be able to commit to at least one year for consideration.
Please, do not submit to this position if you don't have experience as an histotechnologist