UPS Employee Reviews

Found 13,090 reviews matching the search
UPS Employee
Driver/Unloader/Sorter/Data Corrections (Former Employee) –  Howell and Lansing, MINovember 24, 2016
At UPS you need to be a very hard worker. Many people think they can do the job but upon hire, quit after a couple weeks. If you stick around you can acquire phenomenal benefits and raises. The hardest part about the job is the beginning. Even for the most conditioned athletes it can be taxing on the body. If you can make it through one year it'll basically be second nature and you'll be set as long as you stay safe and make good work choices from the beginning. Management will fight for the ones who work hard for them. They want to keep the hard workers. During my time there I was able to build a lot of friendships and work my way up rather quick. Their benefits are unmatched in my opinion and there is good job security.
Pros
Benefits, Job Security, PTO, Friendly bunch
Cons
Long days for full timers, taxing on the body, hard to get into full time work
working to serve the public
Driver/Delivery, Assistant Business Manager (Current Employee) –  Lancaster, PA, York,PA, Harrisburg,PaJanuary 25, 2017
a typical day at UPS is 10 to 12 hours, long days and nights, however those long day give you endless knowledge of the transportation industry as you grow as a manager your experience will be fulfilling,The workplace culture is different jobs at UPS, it wouldn't be fair to rate the whole company just based on one division or job function, Hardest part of the job is the hours, not seeing your family and trying to keep yourself healthy, Most enjoyable part of the job with out a doubt is the people, you will develop friends that last a lifetime at UPS, You will spend 75% on your time with them so finding someone to connect with makes it enjoyable
Pros
every day is an adventure, you never know whats going to happen next
Cons
long hours, management styles, hard to retire, not a good healthy envirnment
Great Benefits
Package Car Delivery Cover Driver (DOT Certified) (Current Employee) –  Alexandria, VAFebruary 16, 2017
This company has great benefits and pay. They demand a lot and the more you're able to do the more they demand. Everything is fast paced and urgent. Safety is prioritized but not always supported, so be your own advocate.

Management culture/style is less than desireable. Does not foster employee buy in to the company's mission. More management by fear and intimidation rather than fostering a team mission and pride. Adversarial and disjointed lacks symmetry between service providers and managerial staff. Managers focus on the gotcha...

If you like fast paced, independent and challenging UPS is an ok place. If you are looking for an environment with realistic, supportive and empathetic management you will not be happy.
Pros
Pay and Benefits
Cons
Management Culture
Great for Job Advancement and benefits. Terrible for health.
Package Handler (Current Employee) –  Chula Vista, CAJanuary 20, 2017
The highlight of working at UPS as Twilight Preload (the shift from anywhere from 2am-10am)
is the benefits.
That is one of the main reasons most people are working there.
The problem lies in that you get them after a year of employment, and the pay is not much above dirt and rocks.
It is guaranteed you will not have energy, you will be sore, and in a relatively bad mood for about the first 2 months of employment.
This job is not for everyone but if you can survive it, it's something to be quite proud of.
The employees are the lifeblood, many keep to themselves but they all live for the few loud and funny ones that brighten the work day.
It's not a bad place to start a career by any means, but be weary of not having time for your family, especially during holidays.
Management seemingly cares more about themselves and their positions than anyone in the company.
2 hours of HARD work followed by a 10 minute break, followed by another 3 hours of HARD work.
Fast, Hard, Rewarding
Driver (Former Employee) –  Berlin, VTJanuary 23, 2017
I can honestly say that working at UPS has changed me as a person.
They have taught me the importance of holding a job, and being punctual.
A daily day would be going in on a strict "ten minutes early is on time" and jumping into our trucks followed by a daily PRE-TRIP inspection, After that is on the road we went. from about 9am till 9pm. The work was hard and pushed your body to its core. but by the end of the day you felt as if you worked a days work for a fair days pay.

I learned most of my job experiences from ups, being that i was there for about 3+ years. Trained in several safe work habits and many long hours of ADG training has made me very attention oriented.
Pros
Pay, Time off, Benefits
Cons
Management was hard to work with. No personal life.
I had great advancement with this company.
SUPERVISOR /TRAINER (Former Employee) –  Mesquite, TXFebruary 6, 2017
Working on and off with UPS over a 12 year period, never burning my bridges with them, I was able to join their team again recently in 2016. I started from the bottom and with hard work and mental placement as where i saw myself furthering in management. 4 months i was able to accomplish that goal. UPS has great opportunities for life changing long term goals. It help me gain knowledge and motivating skills to push others and myself pass their own expectations. You work hard and stay focused and you can work there the rest of your life being safe and getting paid every week.
Pros
Fast advancement
Cons
Union Reps do not represent you once you become management
Best place I've ever worked for so far
Ramp Agent (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZDecember 16, 2016
A typical day for me working at UPS in the airport is pretty easy. First off you get there and set up the gate for the type of plane. Then you bring the plane in and unload it. We get a 30 minute to an hour break depending on where the plane is going. Once the upload is ready we do the upload. Management as a whole are easy going people who understand what life really is about(plus we are union members so they necessarily stay in their lane). My co-workers are a great bunch of MoFo's, I mean you get the guy who think he knows everything even though he just started but they are still great people. The hardest part of the job for me is trying to quit since they not only have great benefits such as healthcare for me and my family and discounts just about everywhere, why would I leave such a great place? In all honesty the most enjoyable part is just being there, I've never had a problem here and I don't think I ever will. I recommend UPS to everyone.
Pros
Union, Yearly raises
Cons
Hours(part-time)
Good benefits, poor job security
Auditor (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAFebruary 22, 2017
The moral in my final days of working at UPS Freight was very poor. There was very little done to quell the feeling of dread and doom. There were multiple retirements of upper management and no explanations given. Looks like they are downsizing the home office in Richmond. Management could have handled things better to make people feel valued. the hardest part of the job was that I was the only one qualified to do what i did and the workload was too great initially. I also had to train my replacement. The most enjoyable part of the job was the people I worked with. They were like a second family.
Benefits
Cons
Management, Job Security
Professional work place with great people
Team Lead (Former Employee) –  Cheektowaga, NYFebruary 13, 2017
A typical day at work involved conference calls, meetings with my team to delegate work, fix billing errors, train employees, help finish any unfinished work by end of day by assisting and supervising.

I learned a lot about creating excel worksheets, formulas, word documents, and professionally dealing with clients and fellow employees/supervisors.

I worked very closely with management. I was involved in daily conference calls updating upper management of any issues or progress. They were very helpful and always were able to be professional and assist in our daily questions.

The hardest part of my job was managing my work and personal life. I put my all into it and would often stay long hours to finish work. There was no pressure from management but I personally hate to leave a job undone.

The most enjoyable part of my job was the job in general. I loved being challenged every day and getting my hands into the work myself. Seeing the job done gave me a sense of accomplishment.
Pros
Good benefits and good pay
Negative work environment
Part-time Supervisor of Operations (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJanuary 11, 2017
Very harsh micromanagement on the employees who care while extremely lackadaisical on lazy employees. Extremely hard to obtain full time job (estimated time to get one is 8-10 years). You're expected to revolve your life around a part-time job, when it's hard to make ends meet with compensation. 3% annual raise is maximum permitted(less than inflation).
Pros
Decent benefits, job security, hard to get fired
Cons
Work 3rd shift but do not get paid for 3rd shift, harsh management, extreme lack of acknowlegdement, part-time, hard to get time off, favoritism rules over common sense daily
Unbeatable benefits, highly competative, high stress work environment.
UPS Package Handler (Current Employee) –  Hodgkins, ILNovember 21, 2016
The company takes better care of its low-level employees than any other company I've worked for. Benefits really can't be beaten, and are guaranteed advancement (the benefits) as you gain more seniority. That being said, it is a very demanding job physically, and managers are openly berated by their peers and superiors in front of subordinates if production goes under plan. Still, great company to work for those up to the challenge.
Pros
Competitive benefits, job security, clear expectations.
Cons
Physically demanding work, highly stressful environment.
Run as fast as you can
Payroll Processing Associate (Former Employee) –  Coppell, TXDecember 9, 2016
Company has its own payroll systems, so any previous payroll experience is of no use. They celebrate the mediocrity of tenured associates who have no education, drive, nor ambition to do anything else. All while monitoring your every move. Office cliques are rampant, due to most people having started working shortly after high school. Expect low pay with long hours - hopefully the extra overtime during peak season can carry your extreme boredom for the next 15-20 years before your next promotion.
Pros
The end of the day
Cons
Dress code, pay, management
UPS Seasonal Helper Review
Driver's Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lakewood, NJFebruary 22, 2017
On a typical day I get a call after 6 am to determine if and where I'm working that day. I then go to meet the driver at their desired location.
I learned about delivery organization and route planning.
I report to the drivers and they report to the dispatchers.
There is not too much to say about the workplace, everyone is expected to work hard.
The hardest part of the job is getting customers to sign for packages when they aren't home.
The best part is being praised by my coworkers for exceeding expectations.
Corporate UPS is a great place to work
Business Development - District Account Executive (Former Employee) –  Newark, NJJanuary 31, 2017
Great place to work great work life balance. Room for advancement if you are in Atlanta at the corporate location. Management is supportive and due to the amount of advancement opportunities, you will find a lot of people who have retired there.
Pros
Great health benefits
Cons
Salary not competitive
Typical blue collar work in a typical blue collar environment
Scanner (Current Employee) –  Harvey, ILSeptember 30, 2016
UPS is a fast paced job with aggressive management. The bottom line is how their numbers look on paper, and not so much how they actually perform. A commonly used phrase among employees is "Safety first until it interferes with production." The management staff is comprised of good apples and bad apples, just like everywhere else in the world. The majority of my co-workers are hard working and do their jobs well once they have received proper training. However, management does not always properly train their employees. The hardest part about the job is watching members of our management team ignore problems that occur on a daily basis. The most enjoyable part of the job is going home at the end of the day.
Pros
Union Job, Guaranteed raises, Healthcare provided.
Cons
Short work hours, Regular harassment and negligence from management
Great for long term commitment
General Laborer (Former Employee) –  Vernon, CANovember 3, 2016
The job overall was cool. I was taught proper ways to maintain safety, which can be applied to any future job. My co workers seemed to be fine. Personally, I applied for the job because it fit perfect with my school schedule, and I was told I would be able to leave on time so I can attend school. However, the days I had school, the management wouldn't let me leave on time because "Seniority" leaves first. Overall, I was satisfied. recommended if you decide to spend the rest your life there.
Pros
benefits, chance for advancement
Cons
Seniority is more important than your education, Pay
Great place to work!
Package Handler (Former Employee) –  Hodgkins, ILOctober 11, 2016
I wish that I could have made that job last. The pay was great for me as a teenager and having benefits on top of that was awesome. I was always offered other inside jobs which I gladly took up. Everyone was moving up the ladder. It was a tough job but a good job. Management was always there doing their job to make sure we were doing ours safely. I really liked the hours as well. I worked the day shift and went to school at night which UPS helped me pay for. You literally got paid to work out 5+ hours a day. Then the worst day of my life happened and I suffered PTSD after saving my family and surviving a deadly house fire. I needed a week to find housing and be there for my remaining family members. Instead of being helpful; the union held it against me and fired me for the time off. They escorted me out of the building like a criminal in front of everyone. I was devastated.
Pros
Medical insurance, good pay, great management, flexible hours, help with tuition
Cons
Union didn't have my back when I needed them
Labor work during career advancement
Unloader/Package Handler (Former Employee) –  Shrewsbury, MAOctober 15, 2016
I worked at UPS for 2 and a half years and let me tell you, its quite a place to work. They whip you like slaves and treat employees like garbage. If you're a second slow at moving a package they'll yell at you. Management is atrocious and have no respect for their workers they just want to get the most they can out of you. But once holiday season (peak) rolls around, they need all your help. Stick it to them and don't come in unless you really need the money. Promised college benefits that I never saw even though I asked for 3 times. Raises were ok but not enough for the work you do. Review of the company is in order.
productive, fast pacing environment
Sorter/Package Handler (Current Employee) –  Willow Grove, PAJanuary 4, 2017
The job is hard and requires continuous lifting, employees learn lifting techniques, safety and team work. Employees are friendly and management is by the book of operations. The hardest part is maintaining energy and strength through out the shift and different seasons. The most enjoyable part is the rewards you can qualify for good work ethic, the free food bbq's and good wage raises.
Pros
wages, promotions, benefits fitness
Cons
continuous lifting, hours
UPS managers do not show the union employees much respect
Package Car Driver (Former Employee) –  Durham, NCFebruary 1, 2017
Great benefits and pay. UPS doesn't care about people...only profits. After 30 years in the Durham, NC location, employees are still working 55 hours a week because it's cheaper to pay overtime than hire a new person. These employees sacrifice time with family for this company then turn around and get fired for not putting their flashers on one time.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Retaliation from management if the union enforces the contract