UPS Employee Reviews

Found 11,946 reviews matching the search
Seasonal Feeder Driver and I would never go back to UPS
Feeder driver (Former Employee) –  Edison, NJNovember 2, 2016
Here's the real truth. As a seasonal feeder driver, you are the bottom of the barrel. You get the worst and oldest trucks in the fleet to drive, Your start time will be between 6pm-12am if you're lucky to get a route for the week, if not you are on the extra board and give you the junk that's left over. Management treats you bad and if they don't like you, they would send you home after 4 or 5 hrs for the day or tell you not to come in when they are slow. I came back for my 2nd time and quit after a few weeks. the worst mistake I've ever made going back.............. Plus no holiday pay and no benefits.
Pros
pay
Cons
management, dispatch, late night start times, old and out dated trucks
Unbeatable benefits, highly competative, high stress work environment.
UPS Package Handler (Current Employee) –  Hodgkins, ILNovember 21, 2016
The company takes better care of its low-level employees than any other company I've worked for. Benefits really can't be beaten, and are guaranteed advancement (the benefits) as you gain more seniority. That being said, it is a very demanding job physically, and managers are openly berated by their peers and superiors in front of subordinates if production goes under plan. Still, great company to work for those up to the challenge.
Pros
Competitive benefits, job security, clear expectations.
Cons
Physically demanding work, highly stressful environment.
Great for long term commitment
General Laborer (Former Employee) –  Vernon, CANovember 3, 2016
The job overall was cool. I was taught proper ways to maintain safety, which can be applied to any future job. My co workers seemed to be fine. Personally, I applied for the job because it fit perfect with my school schedule, and I was told I would be able to leave on time so I can attend school. However, the days I had school, the management wouldn't let me leave on time because "Seniority" leaves first. Overall, I was satisfied. recommended if you decide to spend the rest your life there.
Pros
benefits, chance for advancement
Cons
Seniority is more important than your education, Pay
Not all that great to work at.
Package Handler (Current Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXNovember 28, 2016
Working as a package handler at UPS its as great as most people make it seem. The management is not the best and when the start time for next work day changes you MAY NOT be informed of the change. Also when you work there you are guaranteed 3 hours a work day but sometimes the supervisors will send you home as soon as you arrive at your work area telling you that they are "OVERSTAFFED".
Benefits
Cons
ONE 10 MINUTE BREAK, SUPERVISORS WILL SEND YOU HOME IF YOUR WORK AREA IS "OVERSTAFFED".
Good atmosphere with great people
Package Handler (Part-Time) (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIDecember 2, 2016
The best part of the job is the people. I enjoyed working with nearly everyone that was on my belt. The management team is just as great too. The supervisors can be either good or bad, it just depends on the belt. The job was really tiring, tedious, stressful, and at times completely unreasonable. That is the only thing I did not like was the actual job.
Pros
Great people, great atmosphere
Cons
Tedious, tiring, stressful, and unreasonable at times
Like working in the military,disrespectful leaders,they dont care about you or your family
Driver (Former Employee) –  Lynchburg, VANovember 23, 2016
These people don't care about you or your family. As long as you get the packages out then you are fine. Some of the most disrespectful supervisors and manager I've ever encountered. Will talk to you any kind of way they feel. Money is good after you have been there for a while but they will jerm you around and play with your money as long as they can. Long hours, so hope you don't have family. They would rather slave the workers 12hrs or more a day,paying overtime instead of hiring more workers on the road to let everyone go home at a decent time!
Pros
Only the money
Cons
Disrespectful leaders, long hours, pressure under time limits
Secure employment but a difficult culture
Accounting Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GANovember 12, 2016
Conservative culture with an old school mentality, but there are great peers to work with and learn from. Management styles are very split between rigid and flexible. Dress code has gradually become more casual leading to a more relaxed environment, but the politics have gotten worse. Pay is extremely non-competitive when compared to other companies, but they do not lay off employees when business hits a slump.
Pros
Becoming more casual dress
Cons
Inconsistent management, non-competitive pay
Package Handler
Package Handler/Sorter (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 19, 2016
A normal day at UPS starts off with your sectioned station depending on where your at your are reminded about safety precautions. What i learned was how to stack packages properly and also sorting out different packages to different states. Management there was helpful with guiding you to follow correct steps. The hardest part about the job was the weight of some of the packages and the heat in the warehouse. Nonetheless, the most enjoyable part was rewarding ceremony.
Benefits
Cons
Tempature/ Breaks
Part-Time Night Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Little Rock, ARNovember 1, 2016
A typical day of work for a supervisor at UPS usually consisted of a lot of running around watching employees and equipment to make sure everything was working safely and efficiently. I learned many lessons at UPS like communicating with co-workers, and keeping a positive attitude throughout the work place. Management was a different story not much help came from my full time supervisors. I went through many problems with employees because of my full times. The hardest part of the job was the manual labor, but this didnt keep me from enjoying the people on my work force, and getting to know new people that came into UPS.
Pros
Benefits, 401K, experience.
Very Strenuous work but the compensation makes up for it.
Pre-Loader and Package Handler (Current Employee) –  Wyoming, MINovember 3, 2016
The daily labor is hard work, but it is something the body gets used to after a few months. There is a very small learning curb, and the management works with college students and family's very well.

The employees of UPS are a great presence and make the job more enjoyable; however, it does not take away from how hard the job actually is. Team work really makes a difference, so I suggest making friends quickly.
Physical, yet relaxing environment.
Package Handler (Current Employee) –  Vernon, CANovember 4, 2016
A day at UPS consists anywhere from sorting packages for their trailer location, loading packages onto trailers, and sorting misplaced packages. Within all of these are packages that range anywhere from 0-120 pound packages. The management is split into various work areas where they are in charge of a number of workers. Co-workers are more than cooperative to help anyone with heavy packages. The most enjoyable part is the friendly environment.
Pros
Amazing benefits, physically active job
Cons
Hazardous environment
Bad management
SUPERVISOR (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CANovember 9, 2016
I worked with the company for over two years. As an hourly, you are treated as a machine. I worked at 2 different hubs and under 4 different full time managers and only one actually treated me as a human. The others wouldn't acknowledge the hard work and devotion I put into my work. The upside is you can move up easily in the company if you are a hard worker. I got promoted to supervisor a little over a year of being there, but even then you have to deal with the full- time managers more. In the end they pay good but the overall respect for the hourlys is very limited.
Pros
easy to promote, decent pay
Cons
management
Good job
Sales associate (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PANovember 13, 2016
Receive orders from customers that need packages packed in a timely manner. Print flyers and other type of print. I learned to be a team member that could help us make money. since this was my first full time job it taught me how to have a good work ethic everyday coming to work. my co workers are great and so is management. The only problem is the wage is not good enough and I see no chances to advance in the business. I am also looking for more of a set schedule that will work for my college classes.
Pros
Covienent to my home
Cons
No health care and no 401k plan
Son worked there
Box Handler (Former Employee) –  Sioux City, Ia.November 15, 2016
My son went to work with them as an evening job while he was studying fire science in college. When tUPS says one has to be able to lift 50lb, they mean lift televisions by yourself over your head onto the pile in the semi heading out of town. He hurt so badly that he couldn't go to school. I told him to give it up, as he was only going to hurt himself. Lifting 50lbs is one thing, but lifting it over your head alone is a totally different thing.
Cons
ridiculous lifting expectations
UPS is a horrible slave driver company
UPS Driver (Former Employee) –  Louisville, KYNovember 20, 2016
This company will ask the world of you and then when you give it to them ,they will stab you in the back. The work is rediculous. Carrying heavy boxes long distance, getting bit by dogs, slipping in the snow . You're expected to be at work even in conditions the authorities tell you to stay inside. I worked here as a driver for 22 years. You can not have a life outside of UPS. It consumes your life. Makes you miserable and stressed out all the time.
Pros
Cons
Everything about UPS is bad.
nine years of service
Diesel Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXNovember 20, 2016
a typical is starting the day off seeing whats on ur agenda to work on, whether its truck or trailer. I've learn that safety is always a top priority for their employers and employees that they may go to the most important thing to them (family). Management giving assignment. the hardest part of the job is working night shift. No one cares if u get tire throughout the night.
Pros
you learn about a lot of safety to take where ever you
Cons
ups not loyal to their employees that has been faithful to them
Fun at times but over working for the most part
Loader/Unloader (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PADecember 1, 2016
This job is like a gym membership that pays you, it teaches you strong leadership skills, they work you as hard as they can comparable to the US Marines, and the pay is low compared to the amount of work they throw at you. They pay for colledge from day one if interested and they have an employee discount site and after one year full benefits kick in like full health and dental, 401k and several others but its up to you to decide if its worth it for you.
Pros
Occasional free food, great benefits after one year
Cons
No breaks, over working, stressful
The Good & The Bad...
Package Handler (Former Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXNovember 1, 2016
PROS: Great starting pay
Entry level hiring with no experience required
Full benefits and insurance
Ability to work multiple shifts and overtime
Promote within
Union job with job security
TUITION REIMBURSEMENT to college working employees
CONS: Very hard physical labor
Almost no breaks during shift
Very stressful and fast paced environment
Not flexible at all on work schedule for first 2 months
High turnover ratio
Pros
Union, job security, great starting pay, full benefits after a year, tuition reimbursement
Cons
Very hard physical labor, fast paced environment, short breaks, not flexible with schedule
One story at interview, another when you start.
Driver (Current Employee) –  Dupont, PAOctober 31, 2016
I first applied for a full-time driver position(was a lie) only to find out it is a on-call part-time position. Must be ready every morning in case they need you. Human resources had very few answers to questions only contact information was their email address and had to wait for answers. Hourly rate was different depending on who you talked to. If you have nothing better to do for the next 3-4 years until someone retires or gets fired and you can get their route all power to you. I was looking for a pay check weekly and have not been called on now for 3 weeks and it is considered "peak season"
Pros
Benefits, pay
Cons
Communication sucks
Productive and Knowledgeable
Office Coordinator Specialist (Former Employee) –  Savannah, GAOctober 29, 2016
When having a group of educated people who know the in's and out of the logistics business helps your day be productive and knowing that your knowledge and ability played an important part too. We were a group people and employees, friends and know each other children names,... we were family away from home, but work was always done in a timely manner with a smile at the end of the day!
Pros
Work was always available when overtime was needed
Cons
Too much favoritism at times...