UPS Employee Reviews in United States

Found 11,155 reviews matching the search
A good place for work-a-holics, with decent compensation
Industrial Engineering Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXMarch 27, 2016
UPS has great employees with excellent work ethics, almost to a fault. They set the standard in the shipping industry, and they like to keep the bar high. UPS consistently outperforms competitors, but at a cost. I've seen a few people's health and relationships decline, and marriages fail at high positions in management, and even at a supervisor level.
It's easy to feel undervalued. There is great job security though. There are always problems to be solved and everyone is always shipping goods. UPS does like to try to fix things that don't need to be fixed though.
Overall it's a good stable company whose stock is a good bonus, but different assignments at any time with differing and conflicting hours (especially Christmas time) with no extra pay for management, gets unfair after a while.
Pros
decent salary, peers at my level are good people
Cons
have to pay for own healthcare, well over 40 hour work weeks, unreasonable expectations
fast past, high turnover
Mail processor/backup lead (Former Employee) –  Auburn, WAMarch 17, 2016
I learned to work in a fast pace work environment. There is very little training done. There is an off sight manager that we report to if there is any questions or problems.. He was not there very often on the shift I worked, but you could text and he usually responded in a timely manner. The highering is done strictly through a temp agency, so no one is hired full time through UPS. There is a very diverse population of co-workers. The hardest part of the job was learning all the different mail classes that each customer had, because they weren't always the same from customer to customer. The most enjoyable part of the job for me was learning to do the mail that required special processing. I enjoy learning new things on a job making it more challenging.
Pros
there realy aren't any pro's
Cons
Insurance was paid in full by emplyee, raises were givin whenever management felt like it, most benefits were taken from employees, never overtime
Productive, active movements and steady advancements
Air Recovery/Sorter (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDFebruary 17, 2016
load unloading a truck trailer of thousand packages of clothes, electronics and furniture. All Business and department stores contract UPS on a daily basic. Management operates each section of the hub center to ship out as much production as possible and often times harsh towards the section of there employees, to further more production in the building for on time shipments. Depending on the climate of staffing and production in the building, most co workers don't motivate each other to found solutions to complete the job. Keeping your body hydrated and having a lot of energy to lift and load packages that weigh over 60 pounds. Using my employee badge to gain discount from store retailors.
Pros
Benifets
Cons
Advancements Salary
Amazing place to work!
Pre loader/driver helper (Former Employee) –  Westville, INFebruary 11, 2016
UPS is an absolute amazing place to work. I learned how to organize in a quick and sense able fashion. If you can handle the most basic instructions and have the a moderate understanding of numerical order you can learn this job quick. The hardest part of this job is keeping up with the line during peek season, and making sure you put the proper parcel in the corresponding truck. Multi-tasking is key! UPS pays at higher rate than almost any entry level job, and even at part time, you can receive full time benefits. Amazing I know. Management at the Tri-City location in Westville,IN are friendly and outgoing. The culture of the job varies and is a great atmosphere. Young and old come together to allow all sorts of intriguing conversation. Job security is easy to achieve by joining the Union. This is absolutely a dream job.
Pros
Good hours, low stress, great atmosphere and even better bosses.
Cons
None.
Laborious
Package Handler (Former Employee) –  Warwick, RIMarch 31, 2016
Worked the 11 pm-3:30 am shift. A night would consist of using electronic devices to scan packages and properly load them into a truck trailer. These packages range from one pond to almost 70 lbs. when coming into the trucks via a belt system. Larger packages would require the use of a lift or another worker to team-lift because the packages would weigh more than 70 lbs. During peak season the packages will come down fast and sometimes overflow a belt, requiring some additional team member help and juggling the flow of packages based on the supervisors efforts. After peak season, the amount of trucks lessened and flow became slightly more steady. However, management would send people home early to try to cut costs and this could result in sometimes leaving right away or working half a shift. Most enjoyable was the hard work and moderate independence. However the work was steady and keeping package scan numbers up was a looming concern.
Pros
Union
Cons
Short breaks. Lack of information about benefits and union rights.
Ups was an excellent job
Package Car Driver (Former Employee) –  Addison, ILMarch 22, 2016
Each day you must be extremely organized and conscious of time. the job is fast paced and requires the ability to be versatile. Constantly changing weather and traffic conditions require you to plan ahead, and think on your feet. Management is knowledgeable and well equipped to help when there is an issue where the driver doesn't know what should be done. The Co-workers are all usually team players and are willing to help with dispatch issues. Extreme weather conditions ans stress were the most difficult challenges. and the customer interactions were the best part of the job
Pros
Great pay and benifits
Cons
physically demanding and extremely stressful
Co-workers are team players. Everyone is ready to help.
Administrative Assistant III (Current Employee) –  NJApril 3, 2016
Throughout the years the company has reduced costs which effect mostly the lower paid workers.The company, which was always demanding, was once very good to employees and made it stand out as a great place to work. We had better than average pay, healthcare and retirement. Economic changes have taken its toll. The job is still demanding but the perks are all gone. The best part of the job are the people. I have worked with some of the nicest people. We definitely worked as a team.
Pros
vacation time.
Cons
healthcare cost, salary- wage/raises, job opportunity/promotion
Early morning trailer unloading and packaging.
Truck Loader/Unloader (Former Employee) –  Seaside, CAFebruary 1, 2016
A typical day consisted of waking up around 3am and unloading trailers until 9am. I learned how to work hard, multi task, scan many boxes at once, manual labor, and proper lifting of heavy machinery. Management was very nice and polite, but like every big corporation, management has their cons. They would usually take their problems to their workers and work them five to six hours straight without a break. My co workers never really talked since it was such a fast pace job, workers needed to stay in front of the belt for packages. The hardest part of my job was waking up at 3am and going to sleep to get enough sleep for work. The most enjoyable part of my job was having the whole day free of work and the benefits.
Pros
Paid lunches, food celebrations, healthcare.
Cons
Early mornings.
Best Place I've Ever Worked
Mobile Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Alpharetta, GAApril 3, 2016
Working with UPS was one of the most positive experiences in my career. People are very professional, driven, smart, and easy to get along with.

I was a project manager on the mobile application team working as a contractor for a year. My manger was one of the brightest, most down-to-earth women I've ever had the opportunity to work with. It was because of my Manager that I was successful in my role. There are so few leaders like her, and I miss working with her every day.
Pros
Excellent working environment, good salary/benefits, professional, great leadership
Package handler (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAMarch 12, 2016
A typical day at UPS as a package handler...your start times vary between 12-4 and can end from 8-10 depending on the time of the year. The workload can also vary from light to heavy depending on the time of the year. You basically carry packages off a belt to your trucks and often roll heavy packages into the trucks. I learned about safety, work ethic, and stress management during my time with UPS. The management was very helpful at times. The supervisors will assist you and converse with you. The manager is very caring and will help you with any problems you have. My co-workers are a different story. Like any company, there are always the lazy and the hard-working employees. The hardest part of the job was dealing with the workload at times such as during peak season (November-January). The most enjoyable part of the job was the fact that it's a very honest job. You have to work for every cent you get and you get to meet a lot of cool people.
Pros
Work hours, Benefits, Management
Cons
Stressful, minimum wage, some lazy co-workers
United Parcel Service Package Sorter
Package Handler/Sorter (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAMarch 18, 2016
Excellent Part Time job. Able to work around school or day job. Good benefits. Fast paced and very physical. Company emphasizes safe work practices daily. Union membership required. You don't have much ability to work extra hours except during the holiday season. Advancement is slow for union employees but faster for non union supervisor positions.
Pros
Generous Vacation and Benifits
Cons
Large employer corporate culture, Starts at minimum wage, excessive employee review paperwork
Ups
Up-loader (Former Employee) –  Parsippany, NJFebruary 25, 2016
Being a part-time Up-loader was very difficult to get hours after peak season. Basically worked 10 hours a week. Hub supervisors are helpful but upper management needs help. Co-Workers are good people if you're respectful. Basically its non-stop box lifting. Boxes can range from 1 pound to 160 pounds. Sometimes it gets extremely busy and very fast paced. Someone with Claustrophobia would not enjoy this job, actually I would never recommend this job to someone who cant handle any sort of tight spaces. Part- time benefits are a plus regardless, which they offer health and dental after a year.
Pros
benefits, promote within company
Cons
tight spaces, lack of hours
UPS is a great work place
Package Handler (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXFebruary 16, 2016
getting up early lifting boxes loading trucks before they left to make there deliveries. Ive learned to be urgent, safe, and lift boxes properly. Management is terrible i'm not speaking for everybody that was a manager. UPS hired just about everybody so you will have people that were managers but didn't like certain people. It was like being in High school all over again. they always hired people to be supervisors but never truly ever had to load or unload a truck. I've noticed there would be a lot of disrespect amongst each other as well as physical confrontations. I never found anything hard about the job maybe the hardest thing was building walls in the 18 wheeler trucks. the Most enjoyable part about the Job it is a great workout and be sure you drink a lot of Water
Pros
Benefits for oneself and family and great workout and they feed the employees
Cons
they hire anybody for the most part, when they interview you they're really just sizing you up to see where you will be placed
A productive work place with a steady pace and a team oriented atmosphere.
Pre-loader (Current Employee) –  Franklin, TNMarch 17, 2016
This is by far my favorite job! Its straight to the point - using safety you move packages from one place to another utilizing organization skills while ensuring the proper handling of each package. I have not had any problems with our wonderful staff and management. The benefits are amazing and the work feels great! You learn how to be efficient while being quick and safe about it.
Pros
Amazing health benefits and a work out.
Cons
Peak season hours double(however more hours means more compensation).
United Parcel Service
Package Handler (Part-Time) (Current Employee) –  Secaucus, NJJanuary 27, 2016
A ordinary day of work for me is unloading multiple trailers within a three to four span with a ten minute break.

I learned that one person cannot to everything to get the work day accomplished, all hands have to be on deck. Teamwork is the way to go.

Management is on top of the what is coming in and out of the building before the work day begins. Furthermore, they're always communicating throughout the day operation to make sure things going according to plan.

My co-workers are about getting the task at hand accomplished.

There is nothing at all hard about what I do

Honestly I do not enjoy my job. It puts a strain on my lower back unloading trailers everyday. I have to be very careful to not pull a muscle.

Overall UPS is a good part-time job with nice benefits
Great job for Union worker, horrible job for a part time supervisor!
Part-Time Lead Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Chelmsford, MAJanuary 23, 2016
UPS is a great job for those who stay in the union (non-management). Management tries to put part time supervisors against union workers. Upper management also has no concept of accountability and responsibility. As a part time supervisor I have been harassed and physically pushed by my higher ups and everyone looked the other way. The benefits for a part time supervisor are horrible and so are the raises. They also force part time supervisors to stay for next shifts when it is not mandatory so they like to threaten your job if you do not do what they say. They punish the hardworking supervisors while those who suck up get praised. The best part or most enjoyable part about being a part time supervisor is the union workers that work under me. They would do anything for me since I show them respect and I would do the same for them! If you plan to work there stay UNION!!!! You get the best benefits, raises and have the Union who will protect you.
Rough starting out but a good place to work
Clerk (Current Employee) –  Aliso Viejo, CAMarch 27, 2016
I work early early mornings, I work in part of the company that helps make our packages get delivered on time. When the packages get unloaded from the trucks delivering the packages, they are scanned. They are scanned so we (and the customers) know where the package is at all times, some of the packages, will not scan, for various reasons, the label is torn, the label is missing, the person moved,etc... The work I do is to make sure we find the information on the computer and type up a new label, so the package will be delivered on time !
Pros
Great benefits, nice work
Cons
horrible bosses, unrealistic work standards
Overall it was a good job, it had it's good and bad, but it was good enough for me to had stuck it out for 18 years.
Unloader (Former Employee) –  Oak Creek, WIFebruary 1, 2016
Unloading trailers until the volume is done. I've learned to be a hard worker that's dedicated to getting the job done safely and wright. Management was okay but could've been better people persons Keeping up a steady flow once You get in a trailer that is mostly bulk. The benefits like medical, dental, vision, life insurance, and 401K, and also the pay.
Pros
Good paying job with benefits and also a physical job that'll keep You in shape and upbeat.
Cons
The management gave positions to people that haven't put in the years, compared to those that put in the years and had the senority to be working those positions.
Great work experience
Shifter (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLJanuary 2, 2016
Depending on what you do in the hub, work is pretty consistent. If you are asked to do anything outside of the normal, you do have the ability to refuse and/or accept without being punished. I have learned a great deal about general logistics and why it is important to stick with a scheduled operation time. As far as management goes, they are just trying to keep everyone on track and ensure safe work habits. Most of the coworkers there are equally treated. The hardest part of the job is working the strenuous hours for peak season. The most enjoyable part of working at UPS is full free benefits for part time employees and raises are equal among all employees.
Pros
Free Benefits, equal pay, and optimal job advancement
Cons
Long stressful hours during peak season
Fast paced work enviorment
Package sorter (Current Employee) –  Mesquite, TXJanuary 13, 2016
My typical day at UPS is teaming up with an unloader for the entire day. I follow him to his trailer and sort all the packages he sends on the belt to me to the correct belt according to the label. I enjoy talking with fellow employees. The management team is outgoing and I like the open door policy we have with them all. The hardest part of my day would be to constantly lift packages up to 70 pounds with only one ten minute break. Overall UPS is a great company to work for. You have to chance to change positions and/or move up in the company in little time.
Pros
Great benefits, raises every 6 months, will pay for school, flexible shifts
Cons
Short break, Very physical work