UPS
7,713 reviews

UPS Employee Reviews

Productive workplace with loud machinery
UPS Package Handler (Former Employee), Dulles, VAMay 22, 2015
Pros: Allowed to bring food and drinks to your work area
Cons: Not allowed to sit down for the whole work day start to finish, which some days lasted 14 hours
A typical day at work was to load the UPS trucks with boxes from the slide and irregulars belt.

What I learned was how hard you have to work on a day to day basis with a labor job.

My co-workers were great very enjoyable people to be around.

The hardest part of the job is lifting the furniture, boxed basketball hoops, televisions, etc..
open door policy, team oriented with plenty of opertunities for advacnement
Supervisor (Current Employee), Minneapolis, MNMay 21, 2015
Pros: advancement, team- Oriented
Cons: short breaks
it's a fast-paced environment with many changing factors. I'm consistently interacting with employees and management to have an efficient and success shift.
Awesome people to work for. Job is hard and compensation is low, but for someone in college this is a good place to work.
Cindy Carpenter, mgr (Former Employee), Lynchburg, VAMay 21, 2015
Pros: No late nights, closed on Sunday
Cons: Job is HARD
I would recommend anyone here. They are so nice and helpful! The owner is super! I would go back to work here any time if needed.
Good part-time job if you have thick skin and don't mind hard work.
Package Handler (Former Employee), Edison, NJMay 21, 2015
Pros: Benefits/tuition assistance, decent pay, safe lifting techniques, room for advancement (supervisor or driver), overtime and time and a half, decent coworkers, payed vacation, sick days, willing to work with you, the longer you stay with the company the more money you will make
Cons: Hard work if you are not use to it, management can be annoying, very short break, fast turn over people quit constantly, work environment can be dirty, work environment can be stressful
Working for UPS as a package handler is hard work. HR will direct you to a working location in the hub and give you title, you will either work in the unload, loading, sorting, or air building (small sort). Sorting requires you to take and pass a sort test, you will need to know zip codes, and you will get a 1.00$ raise. If you are in the unload to can expect to unload 5-10+ trailers a shift depending on the work load. There is not much you need to know as a unloader you just get everything out of the trailer and onto the extendo belt as fast and safe as you can and move to the next trailer, its hard work and you will get a work out and sweat. Sorting is self explanatory you stand and sort packages all shift nothing else to it. If you are a loader like I was you can expect to constantly lifting and loading trailers for 5 to 6 hours a day. Packages can weigh from 5 ounces- 100 pounds+. You are required to scan each package, build strong and solid walls with packages, handle hazmats, and pick up irregular freight packages that drivers drop off outside your trailer. Management wants you to work fast and have at least a (200 package per hour load rate) so that trailers can get out on time. Management can be annoying sometimes but they are just doing their job. They won't bother you if you are doing your work. Starting pay is 10.00$ i believe now that the new contract is negotiated. pay increase after 90 days and another increase after 1 year. Union dues start at 25.00$ a month. Good benefits with tuition assistance if you are a college student they will pay for books and help with – more... tuition. Room for advancement you can become a supervisor if you work hard, pass the test, and management likes you. Supervisors are non-union, about $15.00 a hourly/salary i believe. You will loose weight and gain muscle within the 3 months of work if you are a loader or in the unload and if you work hard. It is not a bad job just work hard, don't be lazy, and have thick skin and you will be fine.

When you start work make sure you bring:
- A gallon of water
-Steel toe boots
- A light snack
- your ID
- gloves
and a handkerchief or a rag. – less
Working at United Parcal Service has it's rewards.
Unloader (Current Employee), Horsham, PAMay 21, 2015
Pros: Company Shirts
Cons: No breaks
work start at 6:00pm to the work is done. I learned to work safely watching what I do in every step of my work day. The hardest part of the day when your done I enjoy the new start of each day it 's always different.
Another Day at UPS
Package Handler (Current Employee), Louisville, KYMay 21, 2015
Pros: Getting a paycheck
Cons: short breaks, short staffed
Too much work not enough pay. It would be nice if employee's could work the day shift and get 100% of their tuition paid for. Working nights is a trap. Most employee's end up quitting school because they're too tired to go to class during the day. So their life becomes just working at UPS.
Technician II (Former Employee), Louisville, KYMay 21, 2015
Pros: Advancement, Wages, Benefits, 401K Match, People
Cons: Weather, if you are not in the hub, you are on the ramp.
I would say it was the best company that I have ever worked for. If given the chance I would work there once again. I grew a lot in the IT field here with multiple ways to promote yourself and advance within the company.
Great company for hard workers
UPS Driver (Current Employee), Hialeah, FLMay 20, 2015
A typical day at UPS includes a lot of physical labor. You have to be prepared for anything and be able to deal with a high pressured environment which I believe is the hardest part of the job. The most enjoyable part of the job is working with different people and personalities from different backgrounds. Management at UPS is very impersonal and mainly are concerned with numbers which can be frustrating. I learned to work hard for myself and my family and that's what keeps me going strong.
Good pay, good management.
Mail Sorter (Former Employee), Durham, NCMay 20, 2015
I worked here for the summer in between college semesters. The managers worked with me when I went back to school. It was an overnight position through a staffing company. Hiring process was swift and smooth.
Fast pace work
Package Handler (Current Employee), Hodgkins, ILMay 20, 2015
Pros: You can meet new people
Cons: Short breaks, Rude managers
Day at ups is 4 hours a day of non-stop lifting and lowering boxes. I learned that you can change your position but it will take time. Management are always breathing down your neck and very rude. I have no problem with my co-workers they come to work and do there job and go home.
The Hardest part of work at ups is getting up going to work, because after you leave there when your done with you shift your so tried. The most enjoyable part of my job you get to meet new people
Fun workplace
Package Handler (Former Employee), Austin, TXMay 20, 2015
It was a great easy job. It wasn't any complicated but it did get tiring at times. Most of the coworkers were very hard workers. Everyone had very great communication skills. Only problem was we all didn't get enough hours at this job. The pay was good, but not the hours.
Good place to work, good opportunities
Preload Supervisor (Current Employee), Sarasota, FLMay 20, 2015
Pros: Good benefits
Cons: Short breaks, upper management not always helpful, occasional breakdown of communication
Set up work area for employees, and continuously train and retrain employees to use proper company methods to safely complete the job in a timely manner. Try to find ways to make belt run more efficiently while making sure service numbers are made.
Productive and Systemtic work place
Package Handler (Current Employee), Sacramento, CAMay 20, 2015
Pros: Apart of a union
Cons: Physically tiring
Working at UPS varies, some days are strenuous and very busy with high volume of packages, and other days it's a walk in the park. I've learned to move at a fast pace, keep area clean, have patience and always meet my personal goal, which is to make sure packages are treated properly in order to get to the consumers, Management and co workers all works as a team and are extremely friendly. The hardest part of it all is keeping things organized by zip codes. The most enjoyable is the medical benefits I reap from this job.
Fun place to work, while offering the flexibility needed for school
Assistant Manager, IT Manager (Current Employee), Glen Carbon, ILMay 20, 2015
Pros: Fun culture, great boss, rewarding
Cons: Part time
This position was valuable to me in that it fit my exact needs for a college job. I assisted local small business professionals as well as the general public in shipping and print services. Management changed over the years, and the owners were an enormous benefit to me learning great customer service tactics. My co-workers were extremely easy to get along with and we grew to become friends. The hardest part of the job was dealing with conflict, such as a package being broken. The most enjoyable part of the job was the laid back atmosphere, and the ability to solve problems for individuals.
Hard working environment
Package Handler (Former Employee), Jackson, MSMay 20, 2015
This company was amazing to work for and workers absolutely take pride in what they are doing. The workers are eager to get the job done.
Productive, Hard Working environment
Sorter (Former Employee), Laurel, MDMay 20, 2015
I enjoyed working here at the UPS Warehouse. Typically the main task would be to move packages from one belt to another, it was definitely a workout. The management was okay but the co workers were the best.
A good job for starting out
Driver Helper (Former Employee), Shrewsbury MAMay 20, 2015
Pros: Lot of exercise, see the sights around the town you're working in
Cons: Very fast paced, every second counts
A driver helper position is a good job for starting out, but your experience can vary wildly depending on the driver you are assigned to.

It is a seasonal position, in the winter for the Christmas rush, and I was lucky in that the weather was unusually mild for winter. You are outdoors most of the day, and I would recommend good gloves and waterproof boots.

Management was a little hard to reach sometimes(you had to call every morning to find out when you were meeting your driver), but there was not much interaction with them besides that.

I think the hardest part of the job was keeping the same fast pace while maintaining safety. Also, in many cases I had trouble Identifying the proper homes because the numbers were either hard to see or were not even there.

The most enjoyable part was the conversations I had with my driver

All in all, it was a fun job, good if you have no experience and relatively easy to get hired for.
Open energy
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Houston, TXMay 20, 2015
Talking with customers and making sure their packages got to there destination safe and in well care. If a customer didn't understand I would kindly take them step by step on the process at hand.
Great First Job for Anyone
Scanning Supervisor (Current Employee), Bedford ParkMay 19, 2015
Pros: Compensation package
Cons: Very hard work
UPS is a company that is built off of hard labor and meeting deadlines. Being a upser can help mode you into a professional who meets goals and understands time management.

They have an awesome benefit package being that rather you are full-time or part-time, you receive full-time benefits. However, do understand being a upser is hard work.
Good company with outdated expectations
Transportation Engineering (Current Employee), TXMay 19, 2015
Spent 12 years with UPS and have enjoyed my time. The pension plan that is no longer offered is a benefit that is tough to leave. However, the culture within the company can push people to their limits with 12+ hour days year round and longer during peak, hot and dirty facilities and union bureaucracy to manage.

1 2 3 4 5

About UPS

As a global leader in package delivery and supply chain solutions, UPS is passionate about innovating new ways to make business – Read more

UPS Salaries