UPS Employee Reviews

Found 11,980 reviews matching the search
UPS Employee
Driver/Unloader/Sorter/Data Corrections (Former Employee) –  Howell and Lansing, MINovember 24, 2016
At UPS you need to be a very hard worker. Many people think they can do the job but upon hire, quit after a couple weeks. If you stick around you can acquire phenomenal benefits and raises. The hardest part about the job is the beginning. Even for the most conditioned athletes it can be taxing on the body. If you can make it through one year it'll basically be second nature and you'll be set as long as you stay safe and make good work choices from the beginning. Management will fight for the ones who work hard for them. They want to keep the hard workers. During my time there I was able to build a lot of friendships and work my way up rather quick. Their benefits are unmatched in my opinion and there is good job security.
Pros
Benefits, Job Security, PTO, Friendly bunch
Cons
Long days for full timers, taxing on the body, hard to get into full time work
Typical blue collar work in a typical blue collar environment
Scanner (Current Employee) –  Harvey, ILSeptember 30, 2016
UPS is a fast paced job with aggressive management. The bottom line is how their numbers look on paper, and not so much how they actually perform. A commonly used phrase among employees is "Safety first until it interferes with production." The management staff is comprised of good apples and bad apples, just like everywhere else in the world. The majority of my co-workers are hard working and do their jobs well once they have received proper training. However, management does not always properly train their employees. The hardest part about the job is watching members of our management team ignore problems that occur on a daily basis. The most enjoyable part of the job is going home at the end of the day.
Pros
Union Job, Guaranteed raises, Healthcare provided.
Cons
Short work hours, Regular harassment and negligence from management
Great place to work!
Package Handler (Former Employee) –  Hodgkins, ILOctober 11, 2016
I wish that I could have made that job last. The pay was great for me as a teenager and having benefits on top of that was awesome. I was always offered other inside jobs which I gladly took up. Everyone was moving up the ladder. It was a tough job but a good job. Management was always there doing their job to make sure we were doing ours safely. I really liked the hours as well. I worked the day shift and went to school at night which UPS helped me pay for. You literally got paid to work out 5+ hours a day. Then the worst day of my life happened and I suffered PTSD after saving my family and surviving a deadly house fire. I needed a week to find housing and be there for my remaining family members. Instead of being helpful; the union held it against me and fired me for the time off. They escorted me out of the building like a criminal in front of everyone. I was devastated.
Pros
Medical insurance, good pay, great management, flexible hours, help with tuition
Cons
Union didn't have my back when I needed them
Great profession
Assisted Driver (Former Employee) –  Manhattan, NYSeptember 23, 2016
working for ups is a great career to start off with. A typical day at work is quite simple for a driver to get his or her shift started. If you are a commercial driver you are expected to have 1 specific route that you are assign to and you deliver packages daily and collect pick ups. The management works with you very well and there are very little mistakes with the pay roll system. Most of the employees are friendly and easy to work with, there are some that rather work alone. What I've learned from working with a Worldwide company is that you meet a lot of people they provide great benefits and they have a lot of flexible hours.
Pros
great pay, flexible, good management, benefits
Unbeatable benefits, highly competative, high stress work environment.
UPS Package Handler (Current Employee) –  Hodgkins, ILNovember 21, 2016
The company takes better care of its low-level employees than any other company I've worked for. Benefits really can't be beaten, and are guaranteed advancement (the benefits) as you gain more seniority. That being said, it is a very demanding job physically, and managers are openly berated by their peers and superiors in front of subordinates if production goes under plan. Still, great company to work for those up to the challenge.
Pros
Competitive benefits, job security, clear expectations.
Cons
Physically demanding work, highly stressful environment.
Labor work during career advancement
Unloader/Package Handler (Former Employee) –  Shrewsbury, MAOctober 15, 2016
I worked at UPS for 2 and a half years and let me tell you, its quite a place to work. They whip you like slaves and treat employees like garbage. If you're a second slow at moving a package they'll yell at you. Management is atrocious and have no respect for their workers they just want to get the most they can out of you. But once holiday season (peak) rolls around, they need all your help. Stick it to them and don't come in unless you really need the money. Promised college benefits that I never saw even though I asked for 3 times. Raises were ok but not enough for the work you do. Review of the company is in order.
Great for long term commitment
General Laborer (Former Employee) –  Vernon, CANovember 3, 2016
The job overall was cool. I was taught proper ways to maintain safety, which can be applied to any future job. My co workers seemed to be fine. Personally, I applied for the job because it fit perfect with my school schedule, and I was told I would be able to leave on time so I can attend school. However, the days I had school, the management wouldn't let me leave on time because "Seniority" leaves first. Overall, I was satisfied. recommended if you decide to spend the rest your life there.
Pros
benefits, chance for advancement
Cons
Seniority is more important than your education, Pay
Fast pace and demanding job that can be satisfying to most.
Part Time Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Hodgkins, ILSeptember 13, 2016
This is a excellent job to learn about working as a team to achieving the required results. The benefits and compensation are okay for the job. You will have bosses, co-workers, and employees of all ages, that can be difficult to some at times. Ex. My first year working at UPS as a part time sup at the age of 19, I had a 30+ employee that did not taking orders from a teenager. From that I learned that while being in management you don't have to make friends, you have to hold people accountable to doing there job.
Pros
Benefits and compensation
Cons
Advancement opportunities
Stay in the union if you have heart
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Elkhart, INAugust 28, 2016
This is jail. 4am work starts winter hours be there or get wrote up and in your workarea no breaks hard work 10 min breather in the middle of the 4 hour shift. If you like to work hard not smart then this the place for you. Management and Unions have constant wars people get fired and come back in a week. Union works band together Management fights each other for manpower
hardest part is getting everything done on time without touching box with out someone filing a grievance. most enjoyable is leaving
Pros
its only 4hrs for union workers
Cons
you get treated like you are nothing and favortism is at an all time high here
Good first job, not great for college graduates
Loader/Unloader (Former Employee) –  Ontario, CAJuly 25, 2016
Good job if you want to get in great shape.

Lots of politics.

Not great environment for women, getting better, though.

Takes forever to get seniority, but if you stay with it, you get an opportunity to make a nice living.

Supervisor turnover is high. High-stress environment for management.

Many accidents, easy to get hurt.

Don't take this job if you have allergies! They will get worse!
Pros
good benefits, hard to get fired
Cons
no air conditioning, lots of dust, high school mentality
Very high intensity, fast paced production based warehouse job.
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Addison, ILNovember 30, 2016
A typical day at work consists of paperwork, dealing in employee relations, loading packages, assisting employees with any issues they may have, and overall safety of everybody. I have learned much better people skills through my work here. Having to deal with multiple different employees every night has improved my management skills and skills at talking to people overall. The management is very bottom line oriented, meaning they seem to care more about production and numbers than employee relations. However, I see this as an opportunity to try to strike my own personal balance between the two, being a member of management. The hardest part of my job is multi-tasking, having to deal with multiple trailers, employees, and issues all at the same time. The most enjoyable part of the job to me is employee relations, keeping a good relationship with all of my employees and making sure they have someone comfortable to come and talk to with any issues they have. Also, maintaining a positive work environment for everyone.
Pros
Good benefits, consistent hours, competitive pay
Cons
Management is very bottom line oriented
Great working enviornment, the printing company that promotes productivity
Retail and Shipping Manager (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, ALDecember 3, 2016
A typical day at work is going into the office with mind to work hard and get results. Saving the company money and creating revenue is the primary objective. I've learned that, management is not about telling others what to do, but about motivating that individual to accomplish their duties at work. My co-workers are hard working and committed to the vision of the company. We all work together as a team to accomplish this every day, we are hear at work. The hardest part was creating those ideas and getting the target audience to appeal to us. We maintain a
Pros
We have company outings, such as Laser Tag, and bowling to create teamwork for the staff
Cons
We have short lunch breaks.
Awesome company for part time student
Package Sorter (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORJuly 14, 2016
UPS is the perfect place to work if you need a job while you're going to school. The pay is decent, you get some of the best health benefits even if you're part time, and they help you pay for school day one. Most of the jobs are quite physically demanding, which can be a positive and a negative. You get plenty of exercise working at UPS but having the energy for school after work can be a struggle. Job security is excellent. As long as you're working steady and safely, it is very hard to get fired. It's comforting to show up every day and not having to worry about your job not being there tomorrow. Typically the only real downside is that occasionally you will get an assortment of supervisors who are too inexperienced to run their sections effectively. Poor management can have a domino effect on the rest of the building making the shift more stressful than it needs to be. Other than that I've very much enjoyed my time at UPS.
Pros
Benefits, Tuition Assistance, Job Security, Decent Pay
Cons
Managers can be hit or miss, can be exhausting
The knowledge hose never turns off
Account Executive (Current Employee) –  Bremerton, WAMay 15, 2016
UPS is a very challenging environment for a sales executive. Although the position is very challenging you can succeed if you have thick skin and a unrelenting drive. I gave a maximum of 3 stars only because the benefits are not up to standard for the work done. There is an unlimited amount of knowledge you can learn, the industry changes very rapidly.
The hardest part of your job will be the success you earn will be your immediate downfall the following year with growth to your 'plan'. The best part is that if you can work well independently yet create a virtual team...you will never be alone and you will always have a partner to assist you.
If you want to get rich quick, this is not the job for you. You will have to work hard and will not get paid handsomely but at the end of your 10th year you will have a solid career (but can you make it?).
Pros
Make your own schedule, Always more to learn
Cons
Benefits are subpar for the cost, You will work a LOT
patients is a virtue
Operations Supervisor, Outbound Midnight Sort (Former Employee) –  Chelmsford, MADecember 7, 2016
if you stay hourly, union dues of 50$ isnt that bad compared to what you get. patients is required in order to get advancement

going into management is not worth compensation.college degree and willingness to play into company politics are necessary for advancement
Good company, good compensation
Feeder Driver / Package Car Driver (Former Employee) –  Addison, ILOctober 24, 2016
Some of the best workers I have ever been around. You are on your own most of the time, and are expected to finish the job in a timely manner. The pay is good, as are the benefits and vacation. Like all big companies, the people at the top seem to forget what got UPS to where it is today. Management has some great people and I think UPS takes advantage of them. Hourly workers can and will be pushed hard. It's about putting your time in the company and hopefully retiring with a good pension. The equipment is on the newer side, but not top line. The clerks and mechanics are top notch. The hours can be odd depending on your job title, but they get better with more seniority. If you take pride in your work you will find many people here with the same mindset. Yeah, I am a fan. Stayed there a long time, and proud to be UPSer.
Pros
good pay, benefits, vacation
Cons
misguided corporate ideas, union vs. management mentality
You need thick skin to work in a Hub
Operations Management Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Palatine, ILOctober 10, 2016
This job is not for everyone. They will find capable employees and load them up with responsibilities with out knowing when to stop. It is very easy to advance if you show them you are a competent worker and can take responsibility for your own actions. The environment is hostile. The pay an benefits are the only reason employees stay. If you have worked for major corporations before and understand micromanaging then you will do just fine here. If you do not understand micromanaging or think everyone is out to get you, you may want to consider something else. They only care about numbers and not that they are seriously overworking their delivery drivers.
Pros
Pay and Bennefits
Cons
Management and holidays
Senior management throw others under the bus to cover themselves.
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Dayton, OHAugust 14, 2016
Senior management provide little support to Shift Supervisor's. If local sort misses production schedule senior management blames lower level supervisors. Culture is toxic worse than a bar no one has your back and it's everyone for themselves. Union employees are as lazy as they come and are rewarded for time on job and not productivity. Avoid at all cost if possible.
Benefits
Cons
Just about everything besides the benefits
Hard manual labor, not worth the 10.15 an hour
Preload (Current Employee) –  Louisville, KYSeptember 17, 2016
Doesn't matter if you have been there 11 months or 11 days still same pay 10.15 an hour, and NO BENEFITS,also was supposed to be getting bonus on our checks,NEVER RECEIVED, if supervisors don't like you,there isn't room for advancement, EVERYONE there ALWAYS plays the I'VE BEEN HERE LONGER CARD!! UNION STEWART is a joke!!
1 very monitored 10 minute break,doesn't matter if you can get out of your truck when they call break due to hundreds of packages in your way and can't get out,it's still only 10 minutes
Almost NEVER know when return belt called down tote,no communication on their part
Yes I still work there but only til after Christmas due to Supervisors are rude,yell at employees in front of everyone, low pay for the work you do, union Stewart does not help with problems, no benefits ,even though it's a law to have insurance, so now I will get penalized when it's tax time!!
Pros
Weekly pay
Cons
Pay, no benefits, no advancements if not liked, treated badly low hour's
Seasonal Feeder Driver and I would never go back to UPS
Feeder driver (Former Employee) –  Edison, NJNovember 2, 2016
Here's the real truth. As a seasonal feeder driver, you are the bottom of the barrel. You get the worst and oldest trucks in the fleet to drive, Your start time will be between 6pm-12am if you're lucky to get a route for the week, if not you are on the extra board and give you the junk that's left over. Management treats you bad and if they don't like you, they would send you home after 4 or 5 hrs for the day or tell you not to come in when they are slow. I came back for my 2nd time and quit after a few weeks. the worst mistake I've ever made going back.............. Plus no holiday pay and no benefits.
Pros
pay
Cons
management, dispatch, late night start times, old and out dated trucks