UPS Employee Reviews

Found 12,540 reviews matching the search
UPS Employee
Driver/Unloader/Sorter/Data Corrections (Former Employee) –  Howell and Lansing, MINovember 24, 2016
At UPS you need to be a very hard worker. Many people think they can do the job but upon hire, quit after a couple weeks. If you stick around you can acquire phenomenal benefits and raises. The hardest part about the job is the beginning. Even for the most conditioned athletes it can be taxing on the body. If you can make it through one year it'll basically be second nature and you'll be set as long as you stay safe and make good work choices from the beginning. Management will fight for the ones who work hard for them. They want to keep the hard workers. During my time there I was able to build a lot of friendships and work my way up rather quick. Their benefits are unmatched in my opinion and there is good job security.
Pros
Benefits, Job Security, PTO, Friendly bunch
Cons
Long days for full timers, taxing on the body, hard to get into full time work
Great for Job Advancement and benefits. Terrible for health.
Package Handler (Current Employee) –  Chula Vista, CAJanuary 20, 2017
The highlight of working at UPS as Twilight Preload (the shift from anywhere from 2am-10am)
is the benefits.
That is one of the main reasons most people are working there.
The problem lies in that you get them after a year of employment, and the pay is not much above dirt and rocks.
It is guaranteed you will not have energy, you will be sore, and in a relatively bad mood for about the first 2 months of employment.
This job is not for everyone but if you can survive it, it's something to be quite proud of.
The employees are the lifeblood, many keep to themselves but they all live for the few loud and funny ones that brighten the work day.
It's not a bad place to start a career by any means, but be weary of not having time for your family, especially during holidays.
Management seemingly cares more about themselves and their positions than anyone in the company.
2 hours of HARD work followed by a 10 minute break, followed by another 3 hours of HARD work.
Best place I've ever worked for so far
Ramp Agent (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZDecember 16, 2016
A typical day for me working at UPS in the airport is pretty easy. First off you get there and set up the gate for the type of plane. Then you bring the plane in and unload it. We get a 30 minute to an hour break depending on where the plane is going. Once the upload is ready we do the upload. Management as a whole are easy going people who understand what life really is about(plus we are union members so they necessarily stay in their lane). My co-workers are a great bunch of MoFo's, I mean you get the guy who think he knows everything even though he just started but they are still great people. The hardest part of the job for me is trying to quit since they not only have great benefits such as healthcare for me and my family and discounts just about everywhere, why would I leave such a great place? In all honesty the most enjoyable part is just being there, I've never had a problem here and I don't think I ever will. I recommend UPS to everyone.
Pros
Union, Yearly raises
Cons
Hours(part-time)
Unbeatable benefits, highly competative, high stress work environment.
UPS Package Handler (Current Employee) –  Hodgkins, ILNovember 21, 2016
The company takes better care of its low-level employees than any other company I've worked for. Benefits really can't be beaten, and are guaranteed advancement (the benefits) as you gain more seniority. That being said, it is a very demanding job physically, and managers are openly berated by their peers and superiors in front of subordinates if production goes under plan. Still, great company to work for those up to the challenge.
Pros
Competitive benefits, job security, clear expectations.
Cons
Physically demanding work, highly stressful environment.
Typical blue collar work in a typical blue collar environment
Scanner (Current Employee) –  Harvey, ILSeptember 30, 2016
UPS is a fast paced job with aggressive management. The bottom line is how their numbers look on paper, and not so much how they actually perform. A commonly used phrase among employees is "Safety first until it interferes with production." The management staff is comprised of good apples and bad apples, just like everywhere else in the world. The majority of my co-workers are hard working and do their jobs well once they have received proper training. However, management does not always properly train their employees. The hardest part about the job is watching members of our management team ignore problems that occur on a daily basis. The most enjoyable part of the job is going home at the end of the day.
Pros
Union Job, Guaranteed raises, Healthcare provided.
Cons
Short work hours, Regular harassment and negligence from management
Negative work environment
Part-time Supervisor of Operations (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJanuary 11, 2017
Very harsh micromanagement on the employees who care while extremely lackadaisical on lazy employees. Extremely hard to obtain full time job (estimated time to get one is 8-10 years). You're expected to revolve your life around a part-time job, when it's hard to make ends meet with compensation. 3% annual raise is maximum permitted(less than inflation).
Pros
Decent benefits, job security, hard to get fired
Cons
Work 3rd shift but do not get paid for 3rd shift, harsh management, extreme lack of acknowlegdement, part-time, hard to get time off, favoritism rules over common sense daily
Great place to work!
Package Handler (Former Employee) –  Hodgkins, ILOctober 11, 2016
I wish that I could have made that job last. The pay was great for me as a teenager and having benefits on top of that was awesome. I was always offered other inside jobs which I gladly took up. Everyone was moving up the ladder. It was a tough job but a good job. Management was always there doing their job to make sure we were doing ours safely. I really liked the hours as well. I worked the day shift and went to school at night which UPS helped me pay for. You literally got paid to work out 5+ hours a day. Then the worst day of my life happened and I suffered PTSD after saving my family and surviving a deadly house fire. I needed a week to find housing and be there for my remaining family members. Instead of being helpful; the union held it against me and fired me for the time off. They escorted me out of the building like a criminal in front of everyone. I was devastated.
Pros
Medical insurance, good pay, great management, flexible hours, help with tuition
Cons
Union didn't have my back when I needed them
Great for long term commitment
General Laborer (Former Employee) –  Vernon, CANovember 3, 2016
The job overall was cool. I was taught proper ways to maintain safety, which can be applied to any future job. My co workers seemed to be fine. Personally, I applied for the job because it fit perfect with my school schedule, and I was told I would be able to leave on time so I can attend school. However, the days I had school, the management wouldn't let me leave on time because "Seniority" leaves first. Overall, I was satisfied. recommended if you decide to spend the rest your life there.
Pros
benefits, chance for advancement
Cons
Seniority is more important than your education, Pay
Run as fast as you can
Payroll Processing Associate (Former Employee) –  Coppell, TXDecember 9, 2016
Company has its own payroll systems, so any previous payroll experience is of no use. They celebrate the mediocrity of tenured associates who have no education, drive, nor ambition to do anything else. All while monitoring your every move. Office cliques are rampant, due to most people having started working shortly after high school. Expect low pay with long hours - hopefully the extra overtime during peak season can carry your extreme boredom for the next 15-20 years before your next promotion.
Pros
The end of the day
Cons
Dress code, pay, management
Labor work during career advancement
Unloader/Package Handler (Former Employee) –  Shrewsbury, MAOctober 15, 2016
I worked at UPS for 2 and a half years and let me tell you, its quite a place to work. They whip you like slaves and treat employees like garbage. If you're a second slow at moving a package they'll yell at you. Management is atrocious and have no respect for their workers they just want to get the most they can out of you. But once holiday season (peak) rolls around, they need all your help. Stick it to them and don't come in unless you really need the money. Promised college benefits that I never saw even though I asked for 3 times. Raises were ok but not enough for the work you do. Review of the company is in order.
Great profession
Assisted Driver (Former Employee) –  Manhattan, NYSeptember 23, 2016
working for ups is a great career to start off with. A typical day at work is quite simple for a driver to get his or her shift started. If you are a commercial driver you are expected to have 1 specific route that you are assign to and you deliver packages daily and collect pick ups. The management works with you very well and there are very little mistakes with the pay roll system. Most of the employees are friendly and easy to work with, there are some that rather work alone. What I've learned from working with a Worldwide company is that you meet a lot of people they provide great benefits and they have a lot of flexible hours.
Pros
great pay, flexible, good management, benefits
productive, fast pacing environment
Sorter/Package Handler (Current Employee) –  Willow Grove, PAJanuary 4, 2017
The job is hard and requires continuous lifting, employees learn lifting techniques, safety and team work. Employees are friendly and management is by the book of operations. The hardest part is maintaining energy and strength through out the shift and different seasons. The most enjoyable part is the rewards you can qualify for good work ethic, the free food bbq's and good wage raises.
Pros
wages, promotions, benefits fitness
Cons
continuous lifting, hours
Fast pace and demanding job that can be satisfying to most.
Part Time Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Hodgkins, ILSeptember 13, 2016
This is a excellent job to learn about working as a team to achieving the required results. The benefits and compensation are okay for the job. You will have bosses, co-workers, and employees of all ages, that can be difficult to some at times. Ex. My first year working at UPS as a part time sup at the age of 19, I had a 30+ employee that did not taking orders from a teenager. From that I learned that while being in management you don't have to make friends, you have to hold people accountable to doing there job.
Pros
Benefits and compensation
Cons
Advancement opportunities
Very high intensity, fast paced production based warehouse job.
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Addison, ILNovember 30, 2016
A typical day at work consists of paperwork, dealing in employee relations, loading packages, assisting employees with any issues they may have, and overall safety of everybody. I have learned much better people skills through my work here. Having to deal with multiple different employees every night has improved my management skills and skills at talking to people overall. The management is very bottom line oriented, meaning they seem to care more about production and numbers than employee relations. However, I see this as an opportunity to try to strike my own personal balance between the two, being a member of management. The hardest part of my job is multi-tasking, having to deal with multiple trailers, employees, and issues all at the same time. The most enjoyable part of the job to me is employee relations, keeping a good relationship with all of my employees and making sure they have someone comfortable to come and talk to with any issues they have. Also, maintaining a positive work environment for everyone.
Pros
Good benefits, consistent hours, competitive pay
Cons
Management is very bottom line oriented
Stay in the union if you have heart
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Elkhart, INAugust 28, 2016
This is jail. 4am work starts winter hours be there or get wrote up and in your workarea no breaks hard work 10 min breather in the middle of the 4 hour shift. If you like to work hard not smart then this the place for you. Management and Unions have constant wars people get fired and come back in a week. Union works band together Management fights each other for manpower
hardest part is getting everything done on time without touching box with out someone filing a grievance. most enjoyable is leaving
Pros
its only 4hrs for union workers
Cons
you get treated like you are nothing and favortism is at an all time high here
Great working enviornment, the printing company that promotes productivity
Retail and Shipping Manager (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, ALDecember 3, 2016
A typical day at work is going into the office with mind to work hard and get results. Saving the company money and creating revenue is the primary objective. I've learned that, management is not about telling others what to do, but about motivating that individual to accomplish their duties at work. My co-workers are hard working and committed to the vision of the company. We all work together as a team to accomplish this every day, we are hear at work. The hardest part was creating those ideas and getting the target audience to appeal to us. We maintain a
Pros
We have company outings, such as Laser Tag, and bowling to create teamwork for the staff
Cons
We have short lunch breaks.
Pay competitive/long hard hours
Service Provider (Former Employee) –  Highland Heights, OHDecember 27, 2016
Ups is a company that provides total customer satisfaction.Hours are long and hard.Pay is competitive with benefits that are also competitive.coworkers worked as a team to ensure satisfaction.Hardest and most challenging part of job is the weather conditions.What I enjoyed the most is the daily face to face interaction with the customers.
Pros
Cons
Long hours/very mentally stressful
patients is a virtue
Operations Supervisor, Outbound Midnight Sort (Former Employee) –  Chelmsford, MADecember 7, 2016
if you stay hourly, union dues of 50$ isnt that bad compared to what you get. patients is required in order to get advancement

going into management is not worth compensation.college degree and willingness to play into company politics are necessary for advancement
Fast paced yet laid back work enviroment
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Louisville, KYJanuary 12, 2017
I enjoyed working at UPS as an admin. Its a very fast paced yet laid back atmosphere. All management were very knowledgeable, helpful and personable. The compensation and benefits were satisfactory. There was nothing about the position or company that was intolerable. The only things I would complain about would be that there are no full-time positions and that you are working in a enormous building where if its hot or cold outside then it is the same inside which sometime became uncomfortable. Also the hubs are very dirty and infested with mice which I understand is unavoidable in a warehouse type setting.
Good first job, not great for college graduates
Loader/Unloader (Former Employee) –  Ontario, CAJuly 25, 2016
Good job if you want to get in great shape.

Lots of politics.

Not great environment for women, getting better, though.

Takes forever to get seniority, but if you stay with it, you get an opportunity to make a nice living.

Supervisor turnover is high. High-stress environment for management.

Many accidents, easy to get hurt.

Don't take this job if you have allergies! They will get worse!
Pros
good benefits, hard to get fired
Cons
no air conditioning, lots of dust, high school mentality