UPS Employee Reviews

Found 14,086 reviews matching the search
Plenty of job security with not much to enjoy about job
PART-TIME PACKAGE CENTER SUPERVISOR (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORMarch 17, 2017
UPS is a strong company that probably will never go out of business. Your job is very secure and safe here. There is plenty of room to grow and move within the company. The culture, management team, and corporation on the other hand, are very poorly managed. The compensation structure is abysmal and should be completely reworked from the ground up. The only hope is to be part of the union as a driver. Management that are full-time are expected to put in 60+ hours a week as they are all salaried. To be a full-time manager or supervisor is to basically give up a work/life balance.
Pros
Job security, Room to move in company
Cons
Poor compensation structure, lack of work/life balance for full-time
Hard Work
Operations Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Redmond, WAMarch 1, 2017
Let's get this out in the open: When you start at UPS, you start at the bottom on the barrel. If you work hard and have a desire to move up in the company, - you will move up -

Starting pay is not good. If you stick around for a year you will have access to some of the best healthcare benefits available. If you seek it, you can make a career that can support you and your family if you're willing to work hard. The easiest way to start something like that would be to have an excellent driving record, know how to drive stick, and invest several months at the bottom until a driver spot opens up. With that said, there are several avenues to move up, just dont hesitate to ask and work your butt off to get there.
Pros
Company promotes from within, yearly raises, Teamsters Union, Consistent hours
Cons
Hard work, Short breaks
Fast, Hard, Rewarding
Driver (Former Employee) –  Berlin, VTJanuary 23, 2017
I can honestly say that working at UPS has changed me as a person.
They have taught me the importance of holding a job, and being punctual.
A daily day would be going in on a strict "ten minutes early is on time" and jumping into our trucks followed by a daily PRE-TRIP inspection, After that is on the road we went. from about 9am till 9pm. The work was hard and pushed your body to its core. but by the end of the day you felt as if you worked a days work for a fair days pay.

I learned most of my job experiences from ups, being that i was there for about 3+ years. Trained in several safe work habits and many long hours of ADG training has made me very attention oriented.
Pros
Pay, Time off, Benefits
Cons
Management was hard to work with. No personal life.
Great Benefits
Package Car Delivery Cover Driver (DOT Certified) (Current Employee) –  Alexandria, VAFebruary 16, 2017
This company has great benefits and pay. They demand a lot and the more you're able to do the more they demand. Everything is fast paced and urgent. Safety is prioritized but not always supported, so be your own advocate.

Management culture/style is less than desireable. Does not foster employee buy in to the company's mission. More management by fear and intimidation rather than fostering a team mission and pride. Adversarial and disjointed lacks symmetry between service providers and managerial staff. Managers focus on the gotcha...

If you like fast paced, independent and challenging UPS is an ok place. If you are looking for an environment with realistic, supportive and empathetic management you will not be happy.
Pros
Pay and Benefits
Cons
Management Culture
Great for Job Advancement and benefits. Terrible for health.
Package Handler (Current Employee) –  Chula Vista, CAJanuary 20, 2017
The highlight of working at UPS as Twilight Preload (the shift from anywhere from 2am-10am)
is the benefits.
That is one of the main reasons most people are working there.
The problem lies in that you get them after a year of employment, and the pay is not much above dirt and rocks.
It is guaranteed you will not have energy, you will be sore, and in a relatively bad mood for about the first 2 months of employment.
This job is not for everyone but if you can survive it, it's something to be quite proud of.
The employees are the lifeblood, many keep to themselves but they all live for the few loud and funny ones that brighten the work day.
It's not a bad place to start a career by any means, but be weary of not having time for your family, especially during holidays.
Management seemingly cares more about themselves and their positions than anyone in the company.
2 hours of HARD work followed by a 10 minute break, followed by another 3 hours of HARD work.
UPS Employee
Driver/Unloader/Sorter/Data Corrections (Former Employee) –  Howell and Lansing, MINovember 24, 2016
At UPS you need to be a very hard worker. Many people think they can do the job but upon hire, quit after a couple weeks. If you stick around you can acquire phenomenal benefits and raises. The hardest part about the job is the beginning. Even for the most conditioned athletes it can be taxing on the body. If you can make it through one year it'll basically be second nature and you'll be set as long as you stay safe and make good work choices from the beginning. Management will fight for the ones who work hard for them. They want to keep the hard workers. During my time there I was able to build a lot of friendships and work my way up rather quick. Their benefits are unmatched in my opinion and there is good job security.
Pros
Benefits, Job Security, PTO, Friendly bunch
Cons
Long days for full timers, taxing on the body, hard to get into full time work
I am a former employee of UPS for 5 years service
Heavy package handler (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXMarch 21, 2017
I worked as a heavy package handler at UPS. This job is for people who are students, full time parents, people who have certain disabilities, retired but can still work and people you have other jobs but want flexibilitiy. People who start out at UPS do it for the benefits, if you add up the benefits with the pay is is about $15.00 hr. You don't pay for benefits. You do get raises over a five year period I received four scheduled pay raises totaling $4.50 my hourly pay was $16.50. Different jobs at the time had different pay rates at the time. UPS is primarily for people who want to have a permanent career with a stable company with good benefits.
Pros
Good pay the needs of the employee and can fit the schedule.
Cons
Benefits depend on where you work.
Good benefits, poor job security
Auditor (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAFebruary 22, 2017
The moral in my final days of working at UPS Freight was very poor. There was very little done to quell the feeling of dread and doom. There were multiple retirements of upper management and no explanations given. Looks like they are downsizing the home office in Richmond. Management could have handled things better to make people feel valued. the hardest part of the job was that I was the only one qualified to do what i did and the workload was too great initially. I also had to train my replacement. The most enjoyable part of the job was the people I worked with. They were like a second family.
Benefits
Cons
Management, Job Security
Great management and opportunity to learn multiple skills
Sales Associate and Print Specialist (Current Employee) –  North Reading, MAMarch 25, 2017
An overall great place to work for. I worked hand in hand with my boss for many years and I can't say enough good things about the management and the store itself. A typical day might involve packing up large sets of porcelain china, designing and printing a business card for a start up company, and serving the public as a Notary. I've learned over the years how to efficiently use all of the Microsoft office programs, Adobe Illustrator, and work on large scale printers and plotters. There are only 4 employees including me and my manager so we have a very close and friendly work environment. We've been working together for years so it's easy to work harmoniously and efficiently to get everything done in a timely manner.
Pros
Great management and friendly work environment
Cons
Hourly wages, no benefits
Fun easy going work environment
Clerk/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Hobbs, NMMarch 17, 2017
Management could be a whole lot better in my opinion nothing's ever set and stone they always require last minute changes to your day. They ask the most of a worker while giving back little to nothing for a worker compensating to benefit company needs I onced had training for 16 hours with guaranteed overtime pay but only received half the over time pay. I work the customer counter (cc) and help after with local sort if our air driver has to run a route due to lack of drivers I am required to perform both jobs with very little to no help when it's a two man job to be finished at our required feeder pull time
Pros
Benefits and healthcare, union
Cons
No breaks, will put you in overwhelming situations, make you go out of your way for their needs with no term of reward
Professional work place with great people
Team Lead (Former Employee) –  Cheektowaga, NYFebruary 13, 2017
A typical day at work involved conference calls, meetings with my team to delegate work, fix billing errors, train employees, help finish any unfinished work by end of day by assisting and supervising.

I learned a lot about creating excel worksheets, formulas, word documents, and professionally dealing with clients and fellow employees/supervisors.

I worked very closely with management. I was involved in daily conference calls updating upper management of any issues or progress. They were very helpful and always were able to be professional and assist in our daily questions.

The hardest part of my job was managing my work and personal life. I put my all into it and would often stay long hours to finish work. There was no pressure from management but I personally hate to leave a job undone.

The most enjoyable part of my job was the job in general. I loved being challenged every day and getting my hands into the work myself. Seeing the job done gave me a sense of accomplishment.
Pros
Good benefits and good pay
Cons
Fast paced work environment with multiple and challenging job tasks every day.
Supervisor of Operations (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNMarch 22, 2017
Working for UPS the past three I have managed to learn a lot about managing areas on outbound loads, inbound loads, and even managing buildings flows and the amount of volume that comes through the building to keep it running. I have gained great management skills and know how to manage large areas with a lot of employees under me. There are many great sides to UPS especially since I learned how to be a great supervisor there but the job itself is just too much stress for not enough pay and the hours are really bad.
Pros
Good benefits and learned a lot of leadership skills
Cons
Bad hours, not enough hours, upper management does not care about any of the lower supervisors or employees.
Pretty upbeat and fast paced workplace
Package Handler/Sorter (Current Employee) –  Burtonsville, MDFebruary 8, 2017
-Typical day includes scanning about 5,000+ packages. memorization of workplace procedures for different area codes.
-I learned zip codes, safety procedures, about UPS's policy with union and non union members.
-Out of the 5 different supervisors that passed through during my time with the company only two of them actually cared about their employees.
-The priciples of the organization as a whole is commendable and for the most part the higher ups try to live by it.
-Hardest part: Lifting, moving and transporting packages 70+ lbs.
Most enjoyable: Straight forward detailed lists of duties were always completed in a timely manner. i was able to set and accomplish goals everyday.
Pros
Healthcare Benifits
Cons
No breaks, poor management
Sometimes More Then A Job
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Shrewsbury, MAMarch 12, 2017
Typical transportation company, the place was customer orientated driven, the package had to get delivered on time as promised. The managers were in a love hate relationship with the preloaders (union employees). Both sides played games with each other.

As a part time manager, the full time management staff abused the part time managers who were required only to work 20 to 22 hours each week, but were forced to work 30 plus hours, basically became full time but not compensated for it.

Benefits were decent for a part time employee, it is a place to work for if you are self employed.
Pros
Great Benefits
Cons
No Advancement
Great full time benefits but extremely, poorly managed!
Package Handler (Current Employee) –  Newport News, VAFebruary 2, 2017
Your typical work day.... You only work for 3-4 hours, then done for the day! You learn how to load/unload and how to put in shipping information in the computers. Workplace is poorly managed! Most supervisors don't know where to put anybody and doesn't know what's going on most days. All management wants to do is argue and complain about everything you do instead of looking at the positives. The hardest part of this job is that, if you're in every area most days, it's very difficult to learn anything and how to do it, which management doesn't understand! The only good thing about this job, are the full time benefits!
Pros
Although part time, you get full time benefits!
Cons
Poorly managed, not enough working hours, no social life
Terrible place to work!!!!
Loader (Current Employee) –  Whites Creek, TNFebruary 10, 2017
UPS is probably the most unorganized business I've ever worked for in my 21 years on this earth. Management is very unprofessional they only look out for themselves. I started off in peak season making 14/hour. Management told us we were expected to go back down to 10/hour(yes 4 dollars) after peak season but then they told us we were keeping the 14 so they wouldn't lose any workers. Well low and behold we have been brought down to 10/hr for the past 3 weeks without notice from anyone. They keep saying the 14/hr is coming back but it's all bs so we don't quit. Only way to make decent money there is to work like a slave for 3-4 years basically.
Pros
Benefits after a year, school reimbursement
Cons
Management, no communication, horrible pay for the job
Warehouse Industrial
Supervisor- Outbound Shipping (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORMarch 18, 2017
A typical day at work required a 6 to 7 hour day which included writing and logging metrics of information on outbound shipping and destination arrivals of packaging trailers. I began learning to multitask as a quick rate as well as time management, as the day was short for the amount of work that was required to be completed. Although after time, routines and systems began to become easy and conventional. The most difficult thing to get past in working for UPS was the lack of some forms of structures. Many things were meant to be adapted by oneself to know how to treat certain situations with care and respect such as interpersonal communications. Although UPS had its challenges though, learning to create my own systems of perfecting the supervisor role in my own way was one of the most rewarding benefits to a job I've had to this day.
Pros
Free Range on Creating a Work Environment
Cons
Difficult Management, Steep Learning Curve
Competitive workplace
UPS FINANCIAL ANALYST (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 13, 2017
I enjoyed my employment at UPS. It provided me with a great understanding of how the company operates and the importance of how UPS maintains there well known name and continues to strive along their other competitive shipping companies. I've learned the many facets involved with their finances, sales, customer relations, and operations being apart of their company. The hardest part of the job would be not reaching the demands of every individual. Though it seems disappointing at times, it is impossible to satisfy everyone's needs and wants with customers. The most enjoyable part of the job is working with other team members who are knowledgeable, helpful, and on board to contribute to the success of the company.
Pros
healthcare, benefits, 401k
Cons
peak season
Best place I've ever worked for so far
Ramp Agent (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZDecember 16, 2016
A typical day for me working at UPS in the airport is pretty easy. First off you get there and set up the gate for the type of plane. Then you bring the plane in and unload it. We get a 30 minute to an hour break depending on where the plane is going. Once the upload is ready we do the upload. Management as a whole are easy going people who understand what life really is about(plus we are union members so they necessarily stay in their lane). My co-workers are a great bunch of MoFo's, I mean you get the guy who think he knows everything even though he just started but they are still great people. The hardest part of the job for me is trying to quit since they not only have great benefits such as healthcare for me and my family and discounts just about everywhere, why would I leave such a great place? In all honesty the most enjoyable part is just being there, I've never had a problem here and I don't think I ever will. I recommend UPS to everyone.
Pros
Union, Yearly raises
Cons
Hours(part-time)
Negative work environment
Part-time Supervisor of Operations (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJanuary 11, 2017
Very harsh micromanagement on the employees who care while extremely lackadaisical on lazy employees. Extremely hard to obtain full time job (estimated time to get one is 8-10 years). You're expected to revolve your life around a part-time job, when it's hard to make ends meet with compensation. 3% annual raise is maximum permitted(less than inflation).
Pros
Decent benefits, job security, hard to get fired
Cons
Work 3rd shift but do not get paid for 3rd shift, harsh management, extreme lack of acknowlegdement, part-time, hard to get time off, favoritism rules over common sense daily

79%