UPS Employee Reviews

Found 13,090 reviews matching the search
UPS Employee
Driver/Unloader/Sorter/Data Corrections (Former Employee) –  Howell and Lansing, MINovember 24, 2016
At UPS you need to be a very hard worker. Many people think they can do the job but upon hire, quit after a couple weeks. If you stick around you can acquire phenomenal benefits and raises. The hardest part about the job is the beginning. Even for the most conditioned athletes it can be taxing on the body. If you can make it through one year it'll basically be second nature and you'll be set as long as you stay safe and make good work choices from the beginning. Management will fight for the ones who work hard for them. They want to keep the hard workers. During my time there I was able to build a lot of friendships and work my way up rather quick. Their benefits are unmatched in my opinion and there is good job security.
Pros
Benefits, Job Security, PTO, Friendly bunch
Cons
Long days for full timers, taxing on the body, hard to get into full time work
Fast, Hard, Rewarding
Driver (Former Employee) –  Berlin, VTJanuary 23, 2017
I can honestly say that working at UPS has changed me as a person.
They have taught me the importance of holding a job, and being punctual.
A daily day would be going in on a strict "ten minutes early is on time" and jumping into our trucks followed by a daily PRE-TRIP inspection, After that is on the road we went. from about 9am till 9pm. The work was hard and pushed your body to its core. but by the end of the day you felt as if you worked a days work for a fair days pay.

I learned most of my job experiences from ups, being that i was there for about 3+ years. Trained in several safe work habits and many long hours of ADG training has made me very attention oriented.
Pros
Pay, Time off, Benefits
Cons
Management was hard to work with. No personal life.
Great Benefits
Package Car Delivery Cover Driver (DOT Certified) (Current Employee) –  Alexandria, VAFebruary 16, 2017
This company has great benefits and pay. They demand a lot and the more you're able to do the more they demand. Everything is fast paced and urgent. Safety is prioritized but not always supported, so be your own advocate.

Management culture/style is less than desireable. Does not foster employee buy in to the company's mission. More management by fear and intimidation rather than fostering a team mission and pride. Adversarial and disjointed lacks symmetry between service providers and managerial staff. Managers focus on the gotcha...

If you like fast paced, independent and challenging UPS is an ok place. If you are looking for an environment with realistic, supportive and empathetic management you will not be happy.
Pros
Pay and Benefits
Cons
Management Culture
Great for Job Advancement and benefits. Terrible for health.
Package Handler (Current Employee) –  Chula Vista, CAJanuary 20, 2017
The highlight of working at UPS as Twilight Preload (the shift from anywhere from 2am-10am)
is the benefits.
That is one of the main reasons most people are working there.
The problem lies in that you get them after a year of employment, and the pay is not much above dirt and rocks.
It is guaranteed you will not have energy, you will be sore, and in a relatively bad mood for about the first 2 months of employment.
This job is not for everyone but if you can survive it, it's something to be quite proud of.
The employees are the lifeblood, many keep to themselves but they all live for the few loud and funny ones that brighten the work day.
It's not a bad place to start a career by any means, but be weary of not having time for your family, especially during holidays.
Management seemingly cares more about themselves and their positions than anyone in the company.
2 hours of HARD work followed by a 10 minute break, followed by another 3 hours of HARD work.
Best place I've ever worked for so far
Ramp Agent (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZDecember 16, 2016
A typical day for me working at UPS in the airport is pretty easy. First off you get there and set up the gate for the type of plane. Then you bring the plane in and unload it. We get a 30 minute to an hour break depending on where the plane is going. Once the upload is ready we do the upload. Management as a whole are easy going people who understand what life really is about(plus we are union members so they necessarily stay in their lane). My co-workers are a great bunch of MoFo's, I mean you get the guy who think he knows everything even though he just started but they are still great people. The hardest part of the job for me is trying to quit since they not only have great benefits such as healthcare for me and my family and discounts just about everywhere, why would I leave such a great place? In all honesty the most enjoyable part is just being there, I've never had a problem here and I don't think I ever will. I recommend UPS to everyone.
Pros
Union, Yearly raises
Cons
Hours(part-time)
Good benefits, poor job security
Auditor (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAFebruary 22, 2017
The moral in my final days of working at UPS Freight was very poor. There was very little done to quell the feeling of dread and doom. There were multiple retirements of upper management and no explanations given. Looks like they are downsizing the home office in Richmond. Management could have handled things better to make people feel valued. the hardest part of the job was that I was the only one qualified to do what i did and the workload was too great initially. I also had to train my replacement. The most enjoyable part of the job was the people I worked with. They were like a second family.
Benefits
Cons
Management, Job Security
Professional work place with great people
Team Lead (Former Employee) –  Cheektowaga, NYFebruary 13, 2017
A typical day at work involved conference calls, meetings with my team to delegate work, fix billing errors, train employees, help finish any unfinished work by end of day by assisting and supervising.

I learned a lot about creating excel worksheets, formulas, word documents, and professionally dealing with clients and fellow employees/supervisors.

I worked very closely with management. I was involved in daily conference calls updating upper management of any issues or progress. They were very helpful and always were able to be professional and assist in our daily questions.

The hardest part of my job was managing my work and personal life. I put my all into it and would often stay long hours to finish work. There was no pressure from management but I personally hate to leave a job undone.

The most enjoyable part of my job was the job in general. I loved being challenged every day and getting my hands into the work myself. Seeing the job done gave me a sense of accomplishment.
Pros
Good benefits and good pay
Cons
Pretty upbeat and fast paced workplace
Package Handler/Sorter (Current Employee) –  Burtonsville, MDFebruary 8, 2017
-Typical day includes scanning about 5,000+ packages. memorization of workplace procedures for different area codes.
-I learned zip codes, safety procedures, about UPS's policy with union and non union members.
-Out of the 5 different supervisors that passed through during my time with the company only two of them actually cared about their employees.
-The priciples of the organization as a whole is commendable and for the most part the higher ups try to live by it.
-Hardest part: Lifting, moving and transporting packages 70+ lbs.
Most enjoyable: Straight forward detailed lists of duties were always completed in a timely manner. i was able to set and accomplish goals everyday.
Pros
Healthcare Benifits
Cons
No breaks, poor management
Great full time benefits but extremely, poorly managed!
Package Handler (Current Employee) –  Newport News, VAFebruary 2, 2017
Your typical work day.... You only work for 3-4 hours, then done for the day! You learn how to load/unload and how to put in shipping information in the computers. Workplace is poorly managed! Most supervisors don't know where to put anybody and doesn't know what's going on most days. All management wants to do is argue and complain about everything you do instead of looking at the positives. The hardest part of this job is that, if you're in every area most days, it's very difficult to learn anything and how to do it, which management doesn't understand! The only good thing about this job, are the full time benefits!
Pros
Although part time, you get full time benefits!
Cons
Poorly managed, not enough working hours, no social life
Terrible place to work!!!!
Loader (Current Employee) –  Whites Creek, TNFebruary 10, 2017
UPS is probably the most unorganized business I've ever worked for in my 21 years on this earth. Management is very unprofessional they only look out for themselves. I started off in peak season making 14/hour. Management told us we were expected to go back down to 10/hour(yes 4 dollars) after peak season but then they told us we were keeping the 14 so they wouldn't lose any workers. Well low and behold we have been brought down to 10/hr for the past 3 weeks without notice from anyone. They keep saying the 14/hr is coming back but it's all bs so we don't quit. Only way to make decent money there is to work like a slave for 3-4 years basically.
Pros
Benefits after a year, school reimbursement
Cons
Management, no communication, horrible pay for the job
Negative work environment
Part-time Supervisor of Operations (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJanuary 11, 2017
Very harsh micromanagement on the employees who care while extremely lackadaisical on lazy employees. Extremely hard to obtain full time job (estimated time to get one is 8-10 years). You're expected to revolve your life around a part-time job, when it's hard to make ends meet with compensation. 3% annual raise is maximum permitted(less than inflation).
Pros
Decent benefits, job security, hard to get fired
Cons
Work 3rd shift but do not get paid for 3rd shift, harsh management, extreme lack of acknowlegdement, part-time, hard to get time off, favoritism rules over common sense daily
Competitive workplace
UPS FINANCIAL ANALYST (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 13, 2017
I enjoyed my employment at UPS. It provided me with a great understanding of how the company operates and the importance of how UPS maintains there well known name and continues to strive along their other competitive shipping companies. I've learned the many facets involved with their finances, sales, customer relations, and operations being apart of their company. The hardest part of the job would be not reaching the demands of every individual. Though it seems disappointing at times, it is impossible to satisfy everyone's needs and wants with customers. The most enjoyable part of the job is working with other team members who are knowledgeable, helpful, and on board to contribute to the success of the company.
Pros
healthcare, benefits, 401k
Cons
peak season
Very Productive working environment,fast pace
Package Handler (Part-Time) (Former Employee) –  Lathrop, CAJanuary 24, 2017
a typical day at work is very overwhelming depending on what your doing and if your supervisors chill or not,i learned how to develop patience and communicate with people a lot more effectively,management was okay in a nice way of putting it,the harder you worked the higher the expectations were,the hardest part of the job was when we have to clear a pathway for egress on the trailers which isn't hard at all. The most enjoyable part of the job was the people i worked with,everyone worked together or at least helped each other out if they had the free gap of time.
Pros
amazing benefits
Cons
short breaks, sometimes didn't have a lunch
Fast paced yet laid back work enviroment
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Louisville, KYJanuary 12, 2017
I enjoyed working at UPS as an admin. Its a very fast paced yet laid back atmosphere. All management were very knowledgeable, helpful and personable. The compensation and benefits were satisfactory. There was nothing about the position or company that was intolerable. The only things I would complain about would be that there are no full-time positions and that you are working in a enormous building where if its hot or cold outside then it is the same inside which sometime became uncomfortable. Also the hubs are very dirty and infested with mice which I understand is unavoidable in a warehouse type setting.
UPS Seasonal Helper Review
Driver's Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lakewood, NJFebruary 22, 2017
On a typical day I get a call after 6 am to determine if and where I'm working that day. I then go to meet the driver at their desired location.
I learned about delivery organization and route planning.
I report to the drivers and they report to the dispatchers.
There is not too much to say about the workplace, everyone is expected to work hard.
The hardest part of the job is getting customers to sign for packages when they aren't home.
The best part is being praised by my coworkers for exceeding expectations.
Unbeatable benefits, highly competative, high stress work environment.
UPS Package Handler (Current Employee) –  Hodgkins, ILNovember 21, 2016
The company takes better care of its low-level employees than any other company I've worked for. Benefits really can't be beaten, and are guaranteed advancement (the benefits) as you gain more seniority. That being said, it is a very demanding job physically, and managers are openly berated by their peers and superiors in front of subordinates if production goes under plan. Still, great company to work for those up to the challenge.
Pros
Competitive benefits, job security, clear expectations.
Cons
Physically demanding work, highly stressful environment.
Pretty standard warehouse job
UPS Package Handler (Former Employee) –  Edison, NJFebruary 1, 2017
Somehow it all seems fair if you want to compare it to other warehouse jobs, especially FedEx Ground, who are far more strict. The fact that you are part of Teamsters Union means they can yell at you to do your job, but you can yell back at them as long as you're doing the work safely. That's the environment here. Lots of lifting and yelling. If you ever work here, take it easy and go at your own pace. Because the harder you work, the harder they'll make you work, and that's my issue with the the safety aspect of it.
Otherwise, 9 minutes of break time in a 4 hour shift is somehow better than other jobs I have had, that made me work 2x longer shifts with no organized breaks.
Pros
Healthcare and other benefits after 30 days of working
Cons
Better take advantage of the healthcare benefits because your body is going to feel it.
Dont work for ups store
Graphic Designer (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAJanuary 4, 2017
I applied for a full time position as a graphic designer with a pay of $13hr when signing the paperwork the owner at the time was the current manager told me after the 90 day training period we would discuss about benefits and payment. Well I went through the 90days but the problem was even asking about it the owner refused to give me full time even though I completed everything he told me everything i needed to do to get full time. I will never work for ups again all they do is hand out false promises such as full benefits then refuse to give you them after the 90 days. Currently I am in the process of finding a new job and one where they don't treat their employees like garbage.
Pros
Schedule
Cons
Pay, managment, hours
Typical blue collar work in a typical blue collar environment
Scanner (Current Employee) –  Harvey, ILSeptember 30, 2016
UPS is a fast paced job with aggressive management. The bottom line is how their numbers look on paper, and not so much how they actually perform. A commonly used phrase among employees is "Safety first until it interferes with production." The management staff is comprised of good apples and bad apples, just like everywhere else in the world. The majority of my co-workers are hard working and do their jobs well once they have received proper training. However, management does not always properly train their employees. The hardest part about the job is watching members of our management team ignore problems that occur on a daily basis. The most enjoyable part of the job is going home at the end of the day.
Pros
Union Job, Guaranteed raises, Healthcare provided.
Cons
Short work hours, Regular harassment and negligence from management
Package Handler
Package Handler (Current Employee) –  San Marcos, CAFebruary 18, 2017
Working as a Package Handler is part time, fast paced, heavy work, and you get paid very little. You wont have the benefits right away, you will only get them once you complete a year with the company, so if you injured yourself you won't be covered. It will take a long time to move up as a driver, they are really strict about Seniority. If you want to transfer to another department it would have to be ONLY for school, if you haven't been with the company for a year you will lose your job and you would have to reapply again. I can go on and on about the place but the only thing that it is good about this company are the benefits. if you want to go to school and you want to get Tuition/ Reimbursement you would have to be a Part-Time Supervisor.

when you're applying or you have an interview with HR and you're planning to go to college, make sure you ask if they do Tuition/ Reimbursement for UNION workers.
Pros
Benefits for Part -Timer
Cons
Paid very little