UPS Employee Reviews

Found 11,501 reviews matching the search
Amazing place to work!
Pre loader/driver helper (Former Employee) –  Westville, INFebruary 11, 2016
UPS is an absolute amazing place to work. I learned how to organize in a quick and sense able fashion. If you can handle the most basic instructions and have the a moderate understanding of numerical order you can learn this job quick. The hardest part of this job is keeping up with the line during peek season, and making sure you put the proper parcel in the corresponding truck. Multi-tasking is key! UPS pays at higher rate than almost any entry level job, and even at part time, you can receive full time benefits. Amazing I know. Management at the Tri-City location in Westville,IN are friendly and outgoing. The culture of the job varies and is a great atmosphere. Young and old come together to allow all sorts of intriguing conversation. Job security is easy to achieve by joining the Union. This is absolutely a dream job.
Pros
Good hours, low stress, great atmosphere and even better bosses.
Cons
None.
A good place for work-a-holics, with decent compensation
Industrial Engineering Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXMarch 27, 2016
UPS has great employees with excellent work ethics, almost to a fault. They set the standard in the shipping industry, and they like to keep the bar high. UPS consistently outperforms competitors, but at a cost. I've seen a few people's health and relationships decline, and marriages fail at high positions in management, and even at a supervisor level.
It's easy to feel undervalued. There is great job security though. There are always problems to be solved and everyone is always shipping goods. UPS does like to try to fix things that don't need to be fixed though.
Overall it's a good stable company whose stock is a good bonus, but different assignments at any time with differing and conflicting hours (especially Christmas time) with no extra pay for management, gets unfair after a while.
Pros
decent salary, peers at my level are good people
Cons
have to pay for own healthcare, well over 40 hour work weeks, unreasonable expectations
fast past, high turnover
Mail processor/backup lead (Former Employee) –  Auburn, WAMarch 17, 2016
I learned to work in a fast pace work environment. There is very little training done. There is an off sight manager that we report to if there is any questions or problems.. He was not there very often on the shift I worked, but you could text and he usually responded in a timely manner. The highering is done strictly through a temp agency, so no one is hired full time through UPS. There is a very diverse population of co-workers. The hardest part of the job was learning all the different mail classes that each customer had, because they weren't always the same from customer to customer. The most enjoyable part of the job for me was learning to do the mail that required special processing. I enjoy learning new things on a job making it more challenging.
Pros
there realy aren't any pro's
Cons
Insurance was paid in full by emplyee, raises were givin whenever management felt like it, most benefits were taken from employees, never overtime
Productive, active movements and steady advancements
Air Recovery/Sorter (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDFebruary 17, 2016
load unloading a truck trailer of thousand packages of clothes, electronics and furniture. All Business and department stores contract UPS on a daily basic. Management operates each section of the hub center to ship out as much production as possible and often times harsh towards the section of there employees, to further more production in the building for on time shipments. Depending on the climate of staffing and production in the building, most co workers don't motivate each other to found solutions to complete the job. Keeping your body hydrated and having a lot of energy to lift and load packages that weigh over 60 pounds. Using my employee badge to gain discount from store retailors.
Pros
Benifets
Cons
Advancements Salary
Early morning trailer unloading and packaging.
Truck Loader/Unloader (Former Employee) –  Seaside, CAFebruary 1, 2016
A typical day consisted of waking up around 3am and unloading trailers until 9am. I learned how to work hard, multi task, scan many boxes at once, manual labor, and proper lifting of heavy machinery. Management was very nice and polite, but like every big corporation, management has their cons. They would usually take their problems to their workers and work them five to six hours straight without a break. My co workers never really talked since it was such a fast pace job, workers needed to stay in front of the belt for packages. The hardest part of my job was waking up at 3am and going to sleep to get enough sleep for work. The most enjoyable part of my job was having the whole day free of work and the benefits.
Pros
Paid lunches, food celebrations, healthcare.
Cons
Early mornings.
United Parcel Service Package Sorter
Package Handler/Sorter (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAMarch 18, 2016
Excellent Part Time job. Able to work around school or day job. Good benefits. Fast paced and very physical. Company emphasizes safe work practices daily. Union membership required. You don't have much ability to work extra hours except during the holiday season. Advancement is slow for union employees but faster for non union supervisor positions.
Pros
Generous Vacation and Benifits
Cons
Large employer corporate culture, Starts at minimum wage, excessive employee review paperwork
Great job for Union worker, horrible job for a part time supervisor!
Part-Time Lead Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Chelmsford, MAJanuary 23, 2016
UPS is a great job for those who stay in the union (non-management). Management tries to put part time supervisors against union workers. Upper management also has no concept of accountability and responsibility. As a part time supervisor I have been harassed and physically pushed by my higher ups and everyone looked the other way. The benefits for a part time supervisor are horrible and so are the raises. They also force part time supervisors to stay for next shifts when it is not mandatory so they like to threaten your job if you do not do what they say. They punish the hardworking supervisors while those who suck up get praised. The best part or most enjoyable part about being a part time supervisor is the union workers that work under me. They would do anything for me since I show them respect and I would do the same for them! If you plan to work there stay UNION!!!! You get the best benefits, raises and have the Union who will protect you.
Why can't more companies be like this.
Peak Season Delivery Driver (Former Employee) –  Medford, ORFebruary 10, 2016
UPS was the best employer I've worked for so far. The company pays well in exchange for an honest days work. Some of the younger guys would complain, but I've noticed that among millennials. The only thing I did not like about the job was knowing that I would be most likely laid off after the busy holiday season. If I had it my way I would still be delivering packages.
Pros
Outstanding management, Great pay and benefits, Job security if you can get on full time.
Cons
Laid off after peak season
Laborious
Package Handler (Former Employee) –  Warwick, RIMarch 31, 2016
Worked the 11 pm-3:30 am shift. A night would consist of using electronic devices to scan packages and properly load them into a truck trailer. These packages range from one pond to almost 70 lbs. when coming into the trucks via a belt system. Larger packages would require the use of a lift or another worker to team-lift because the packages would weigh more than 70 lbs. During peak season the packages will come down fast and sometimes overflow a belt, requiring some additional team member help and juggling the flow of packages based on the supervisors efforts. After peak season, the amount of trucks lessened and flow became slightly more steady. However, management would send people home early to try to cut costs and this could result in sometimes leaving right away or working half a shift. Most enjoyable was the hard work and moderate independence. However the work was steady and keeping package scan numbers up was a looming concern.
Pros
Union
Cons
Short breaks. Lack of information about benefits and union rights.
Fast paced work enviorment
Package sorter (Current Employee) –  Mesquite, TXJanuary 13, 2016
My typical day at UPS is teaming up with an unloader for the entire day. I follow him to his trailer and sort all the packages he sends on the belt to me to the correct belt according to the label. I enjoy talking with fellow employees. The management team is outgoing and I like the open door policy we have with them all. The hardest part of my day would be to constantly lift packages up to 70 pounds with only one ten minute break. Overall UPS is a great company to work for. You have to chance to change positions and/or move up in the company in little time.
Pros
Great benefits, raises every 6 months, will pay for school, flexible shifts
Cons
Short break, Very physical work

Want to know more about UPS?

Ask a question
Horrible structure, bullying culture.
Package Handler Pre-Load (Former Employee) –  Landover, MDApril 6, 2016
Worse company to work for internally. It has a bullying culture and no life or work life balance. Working for UPS is like a night-mare, the schedules are irratic and their is simply no respect of personnel.
Pros
Paid every week and good benefits
Cons
No work-life balance. Bullying culture. Uneducated Mangement.
Great work experience
Shifter (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLJanuary 2, 2016
Depending on what you do in the hub, work is pretty consistent. If you are asked to do anything outside of the normal, you do have the ability to refuse and/or accept without being punished. I have learned a great deal about general logistics and why it is important to stick with a scheduled operation time. As far as management goes, they are just trying to keep everyone on track and ensure safe work habits. Most of the coworkers there are equally treated. The hardest part of the job is working the strenuous hours for peak season. The most enjoyable part of working at UPS is full free benefits for part time employees and raises are equal among all employees.
Pros
Free Benefits, equal pay, and optimal job advancement
Cons
Long stressful hours during peak season
A good place to work part-time
Package Center Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJanuary 23, 2016
A typical day at work was always different, but some things remained the same. The reports were done daily, some hourly. Peak time was from November through Christmas, and was very busy, the rest of the year was pretty simple as long as you knew what you were supposed to do. It was a great part time job. You don't really have an opportunity for advancement, unless you want to take the chance of being transferred to different buildings all the time, about every 6 months or sometimes even less time than that.
Pros
Good benefits, nice part time schedule with good pay
Cons
some of the management.
Ups was an excellent job
Package Car Driver (Former Employee) –  Addison, ILMarch 22, 2016
Each day you must be extremely organized and conscious of time. the job is fast paced and requires the ability to be versatile. Constantly changing weather and traffic conditions require you to plan ahead, and think on your feet. Management is knowledgeable and well equipped to help when there is an issue where the driver doesn't know what should be done. The Co-workers are all usually team players and are willing to help with dispatch issues. Extreme weather conditions ans stress were the most difficult challenges. and the customer interactions were the best part of the job
Pros
Great pay and benifits
Cons
physically demanding and extremely stressful
Co-workers are team players. Everyone is ready to help.
Administrative Assistant III (Current Employee) –  NJApril 3, 2016
Throughout the years the company has reduced costs which effect mostly the lower paid workers.The company, which was always demanding, was once very good to employees and made it stand out as a great place to work. We had better than average pay, healthcare and retirement. Economic changes have taken its toll. The job is still demanding but the perks are all gone. The best part of the job are the people. I have worked with some of the nicest people. We definitely worked as a team.
Pros
vacation time.
Cons
healthcare cost, salary- wage/raises, job opportunity/promotion
Great flexible job with a great job culture
package handler (Current Employee) –  Oak Creek, WIJanuary 5, 2016
At UPS, I unload packages from a number of trailers that go all around the United States. I work with a diverse group of individuals. The job culture is phenomenal. Everyone seems to be comfortable with each other. Management is also great. They made me feel welcomed and helped prepare me for the job. Although the job may be real physical, many people see it as having a free work out. To me, the most enjoyable part is working with a diverse group of people. You get the opportunity to socialize with them while you work.
Pros
Great benefits even though it's part time, good wages, tuition reimbursement, great people, flexible schedule
Cons
can be really physical at times
Best Place I've Ever Worked
Mobile Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Alpharetta, GAApril 3, 2016
Working with UPS was one of the most positive experiences in my career. People are very professional, driven, smart, and easy to get along with.

I was a project manager on the mobile application team working as a contractor for a year. My manger was one of the brightest, most down-to-earth women I've ever had the opportunity to work with. It was because of my Manager that I was successful in my role. There are so few leaders like her, and I miss working with her every day.
Pros
Excellent working environment, good salary/benefits, professional, great leadership
Hard working employees in a fast paced environment
Preload Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Baraboo, WIJanuary 12, 2016
Everyday was different and would require frequent problem solving skills. There was never the opportunity to get bored as everything was always changing.

Management was very difficult to work for due to unrealistic productions expectations on hourly employees and lower management. The hourly union employees were often very hostile due to the competitive nature created in the workplace.
Pros
Good pay and benefits
Cons
Work/Life balance
Decent pay with poor hours
DRIVER HELPER (Former Employee) –  Reading, PAMarch 15, 2016
A typical day at work is average for loading. Except during holidays it gets very hectic with very long hours and no breaks. Normal work hours none holiday season is 4 to 5 hours. So on a normal work week the most hours you'll see is no more than 25 hours. During holidays it can be between 5 to 9 and you don't stop till everything is done. You may take bathroom breaks and water breaks. They encourage you to drink a lot water and are big on safety. Management is not what you expect from a huge company like UPS. Its not very professional and lacks communication and everyone is only worried about their self.
Pros
Pay is good
Cons
bad management
Package handler (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAMarch 12, 2016
A typical day at UPS as a package handler...your start times vary between 12-4 and can end from 8-10 depending on the time of the year. The workload can also vary from light to heavy depending on the time of the year. You basically carry packages off a belt to your trucks and often roll heavy packages into the trucks. I learned about safety, work ethic, and stress management during my time with UPS. The management was very helpful at times. The supervisors will assist you and converse with you. The manager is very caring and will help you with any problems you have. My co-workers are a different story. Like any company, there are always the lazy and the hard-working employees. The hardest part of the job was dealing with the workload at times such as during peak season (November-January). The most enjoyable part of the job was the fact that it's a very honest job. You have to work for every cent you get and you get to meet a lot of cool people.
Pros
Work hours, Benefits, Management
Cons
Stressful, minimum wage, some lazy co-workers