UPS Employee Reviews

Found 12,564 reviews matching the search
UPS Employee
Driver/Unloader/Sorter/Data Corrections (Former Employee) –  Howell and Lansing, MINovember 24, 2016
At UPS you need to be a very hard worker. Many people think they can do the job but upon hire, quit after a couple weeks. If you stick around you can acquire phenomenal benefits and raises. The hardest part about the job is the beginning. Even for the most conditioned athletes it can be taxing on the body. If you can make it through one year it'll basically be second nature and you'll be set as long as you stay safe and make good work choices from the beginning. Management will fight for the ones who work hard for them. They want to keep the hard workers. During my time there I was able to build a lot of friendships and work my way up rather quick. Their benefits are unmatched in my opinion and there is good job security.
Pros
Benefits, Job Security, PTO, Friendly bunch
Cons
Long days for full timers, taxing on the body, hard to get into full time work
Great for Job Advancement and benefits. Terrible for health.
Package Handler (Current Employee) –  Chula Vista, CAJanuary 20, 2017
The highlight of working at UPS as Twilight Preload (the shift from anywhere from 2am-10am)
is the benefits.
That is one of the main reasons most people are working there.
The problem lies in that you get them after a year of employment, and the pay is not much above dirt and rocks.
It is guaranteed you will not have energy, you will be sore, and in a relatively bad mood for about the first 2 months of employment.
This job is not for everyone but if you can survive it, it's something to be quite proud of.
The employees are the lifeblood, many keep to themselves but they all live for the few loud and funny ones that brighten the work day.
It's not a bad place to start a career by any means, but be weary of not having time for your family, especially during holidays.
Management seemingly cares more about themselves and their positions than anyone in the company.
2 hours of HARD work followed by a 10 minute break, followed by another 3 hours of HARD work.
Best place I've ever worked for so far
Ramp Agent (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZDecember 16, 2016
A typical day for me working at UPS in the airport is pretty easy. First off you get there and set up the gate for the type of plane. Then you bring the plane in and unload it. We get a 30 minute to an hour break depending on where the plane is going. Once the upload is ready we do the upload. Management as a whole are easy going people who understand what life really is about(plus we are union members so they necessarily stay in their lane). My co-workers are a great bunch of MoFo's, I mean you get the guy who think he knows everything even though he just started but they are still great people. The hardest part of the job for me is trying to quit since they not only have great benefits such as healthcare for me and my family and discounts just about everywhere, why would I leave such a great place? In all honesty the most enjoyable part is just being there, I've never had a problem here and I don't think I ever will. I recommend UPS to everyone.
Pros
Union, Yearly raises
Cons
Hours(part-time)
Typical blue collar work in a typical blue collar environment
Scanner (Current Employee) –  Harvey, ILSeptember 30, 2016
UPS is a fast paced job with aggressive management. The bottom line is how their numbers look on paper, and not so much how they actually perform. A commonly used phrase among employees is "Safety first until it interferes with production." The management staff is comprised of good apples and bad apples, just like everywhere else in the world. The majority of my co-workers are hard working and do their jobs well once they have received proper training. However, management does not always properly train their employees. The hardest part about the job is watching members of our management team ignore problems that occur on a daily basis. The most enjoyable part of the job is going home at the end of the day.
Pros
Union Job, Guaranteed raises, Healthcare provided.
Cons
Short work hours, Regular harassment and negligence from management
Negative work environment
Part-time Supervisor of Operations (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJanuary 11, 2017
Very harsh micromanagement on the employees who care while extremely lackadaisical on lazy employees. Extremely hard to obtain full time job (estimated time to get one is 8-10 years). You're expected to revolve your life around a part-time job, when it's hard to make ends meet with compensation. 3% annual raise is maximum permitted(less than inflation).
Pros
Decent benefits, job security, hard to get fired
Cons
Work 3rd shift but do not get paid for 3rd shift, harsh management, extreme lack of acknowlegdement, part-time, hard to get time off, favoritism rules over common sense daily
Unbeatable benefits, highly competative, high stress work environment.
UPS Package Handler (Current Employee) –  Hodgkins, ILNovember 21, 2016
The company takes better care of its low-level employees than any other company I've worked for. Benefits really can't be beaten, and are guaranteed advancement (the benefits) as you gain more seniority. That being said, it is a very demanding job physically, and managers are openly berated by their peers and superiors in front of subordinates if production goes under plan. Still, great company to work for those up to the challenge.
Pros
Competitive benefits, job security, clear expectations.
Cons
Physically demanding work, highly stressful environment.
Great place to work!
Package Handler (Former Employee) –  Hodgkins, ILOctober 11, 2016
I wish that I could have made that job last. The pay was great for me as a teenager and having benefits on top of that was awesome. I was always offered other inside jobs which I gladly took up. Everyone was moving up the ladder. It was a tough job but a good job. Management was always there doing their job to make sure we were doing ours safely. I really liked the hours as well. I worked the day shift and went to school at night which UPS helped me pay for. You literally got paid to work out 5+ hours a day. Then the worst day of my life happened and I suffered PTSD after saving my family and surviving a deadly house fire. I needed a week to find housing and be there for my remaining family members. Instead of being helpful; the union held it against me and fired me for the time off. They escorted me out of the building like a criminal in front of everyone. I was devastated.
Pros
Medical insurance, good pay, great management, flexible hours, help with tuition
Cons
Union didn't have my back when I needed them
Fast paced yet laid back work enviroment
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Louisville, KYJanuary 12, 2017
I enjoyed working at UPS as an admin. Its a very fast paced yet laid back atmosphere. All management were very knowledgeable, helpful and personable. The compensation and benefits were satisfactory. There was nothing about the position or company that was intolerable. The only things I would complain about would be that there are no full-time positions and that you are working in a enormous building where if its hot or cold outside then it is the same inside which sometime became uncomfortable. Also the hubs are very dirty and infested with mice which I understand is unavoidable in a warehouse type setting.
Good company, good compensation
Feeder Driver / Package Car Driver (Former Employee) –  Addison, ILOctober 24, 2016
Some of the best workers I have ever been around. You are on your own most of the time, and are expected to finish the job in a timely manner. The pay is good, as are the benefits and vacation. Like all big companies, the people at the top seem to forget what got UPS to where it is today. Management has some great people and I think UPS takes advantage of them. Hourly workers can and will be pushed hard. It's about putting your time in the company and hopefully retiring with a good pension. The equipment is on the newer side, but not top line. The clerks and mechanics are top notch. The hours can be odd depending on your job title, but they get better with more seniority. If you take pride in your work you will find many people here with the same mindset. Yeah, I am a fan. Stayed there a long time, and proud to be UPSer.
Pros
good pay, benefits, vacation
Cons
misguided corporate ideas, union vs. management mentality
Labor work during career advancement
Unloader/Package Handler (Former Employee) –  Shrewsbury, MAOctober 15, 2016
I worked at UPS for 2 and a half years and let me tell you, its quite a place to work. They whip you like slaves and treat employees like garbage. If you're a second slow at moving a package they'll yell at you. Management is atrocious and have no respect for their workers they just want to get the most they can out of you. But once holiday season (peak) rolls around, they need all your help. Stick it to them and don't come in unless you really need the money. Promised college benefits that I never saw even though I asked for 3 times. Raises were ok but not enough for the work you do. Review of the company is in order.
Great for long term commitment
General Laborer (Former Employee) –  Vernon, CANovember 3, 2016
The job overall was cool. I was taught proper ways to maintain safety, which can be applied to any future job. My co workers seemed to be fine. Personally, I applied for the job because it fit perfect with my school schedule, and I was told I would be able to leave on time so I can attend school. However, the days I had school, the management wouldn't let me leave on time because "Seniority" leaves first. Overall, I was satisfied. recommended if you decide to spend the rest your life there.
Pros
benefits, chance for advancement
Cons
Seniority is more important than your education, Pay
Seasonal Feeder Driver and I would never go back to UPS
Feeder driver (Former Employee) –  Edison, NJNovember 2, 2016
Here's the real truth. As a seasonal feeder driver, you are the bottom of the barrel. You get the worst and oldest trucks in the fleet to drive, Your start time will be between 6pm-12am if you're lucky to get a route for the week, if not you are on the extra board and give you the junk that's left over. Management treats you bad and if they don't like you, they would send you home after 4 or 5 hrs for the day or tell you not to come in when they are slow. I came back for my 2nd time and quit after a few weeks. the worst mistake I've ever made going back.............. Plus no holiday pay and no benefits.
Pros
pay
Cons
management, dispatch, late night start times, old and out dated trucks
Great profession
Assisted Driver (Former Employee) –  Manhattan, NYSeptember 23, 2016
working for ups is a great career to start off with. A typical day at work is quite simple for a driver to get his or her shift started. If you are a commercial driver you are expected to have 1 specific route that you are assign to and you deliver packages daily and collect pick ups. The management works with you very well and there are very little mistakes with the pay roll system. Most of the employees are friendly and easy to work with, there are some that rather work alone. What I've learned from working with a Worldwide company is that you meet a lot of people they provide great benefits and they have a lot of flexible hours.
Pros
great pay, flexible, good management, benefits
You need thick skin to work in a Hub
Operations Management Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Palatine, ILOctober 10, 2016
This job is not for everyone. They will find capable employees and load them up with responsibilities with out knowing when to stop. It is very easy to advance if you show them you are a competent worker and can take responsibility for your own actions. The environment is hostile. The pay an benefits are the only reason employees stay. If you have worked for major corporations before and understand micromanaging then you will do just fine here. If you do not understand micromanaging or think everyone is out to get you, you may want to consider something else. They only care about numbers and not that they are seriously overworking their delivery drivers.
Pros
Pay and Bennefits
Cons
Management and holidays
Part-Time Night Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Little Rock, ARNovember 1, 2016
A typical day of work for a supervisor at UPS usually consisted of a lot of running around watching employees and equipment to make sure everything was working safely and efficiently. I learned many lessons at UPS like communicating with co-workers, and keeping a positive attitude throughout the work place. Management was a different story not much help came from my full time supervisors. I went through many problems with employees because of my full times. The hardest part of the job was the manual labor, but this didnt keep me from enjoying the people on my work force, and getting to know new people that came into UPS.
Pros
Benefits, 401K, experience.
One story at interview, another when you start.
Driver (Current Employee) –  Dupont, PAOctober 31, 2016
I first applied for a full-time driver position(was a lie) only to find out it is a on-call part-time position. Must be ready every morning in case they need you. Human resources had very few answers to questions only contact information was their email address and had to wait for answers. Hourly rate was different depending on who you talked to. If you have nothing better to do for the next 3-4 years until someone retires or gets fired and you can get their route all power to you. I was looking for a pay check weekly and have not been called on now for 3 weeks and it is considered "peak season"
Pros
Benefits, pay
Cons
Communication sucks
Dont work for ups store
Graphic Designer (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAJanuary 4, 2017
I applied for a full time position as a graphic designer with a pay of $13hr when signing the paperwork the owner at the time was the current manager told me after the 90 day training period we would discuss about benefits and payment. Well I went through the 90days but the problem was even asking about it the owner refused to give me full time even though I completed everything he told me everything i needed to do to get full time. I will never work for ups again all they do is hand out false promises such as full benefits then refuse to give you them after the 90 days. Currently I am in the process of finding a new job and one where they don't treat their employees like garbage.
Pros
Schedule
Cons
Pay, managment, hours
Very hard work, good experience
Package Handler (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GADecember 12, 2016
Worked as Package Handle for two months, very hard work, it gets easier, it's like working out, it gets hot in the summer.

First month worked putting boxes on the belts, the second month worked putting boxes in trucks. I preferred putting boxes on the belts, even though you were drained at the end, it was less pressure, even though it was heavy lifting. Working on the trucks was tough, because there's a time limit, and you have to mark all the boxes and put them all neatly. Working on the trucks hurts your body more than the belts, because everything hurts as opposed to the belts where only your back hurts but only for a while.

The hours were from 3am to 8am Monday-Friday, not easy waking up, once it's over all you want to do is sleep.
The Pay is good, good benefits, helps if you're in college or a good temporary summer job.

The management was bad, my Supervisor was cool, but the days he wasn't there the other Supervisors & upper management were awful, treat people like slaves.
Pros
Pay, Benefits, Good workout
Cons
Management, Early Morning Hours, Too much expected in little time
The Good & The Bad...
Package Handler (Former Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXNovember 1, 2016
PROS: Great starting pay
Entry level hiring with no experience required
Full benefits and insurance
Ability to work multiple shifts and overtime
Promote within
Union job with job security
TUITION REIMBURSEMENT to college working employees
CONS: Very hard physical labor
Almost no breaks during shift
Very stressful and fast paced environment
Not flexible at all on work schedule for first 2 months
High turnover ratio
Pros
Union, job security, great starting pay, full benefits after a year, tuition reimbursement
Cons
Very hard physical labor, fast paced environment, short breaks, not flexible with schedule
Hardcore teamwork with good people
Navigational Control/First Responders (Current Employee) –  Raleigh-Durham, NCJanuary 16, 2017
UPS has taught me more then I can say here. Its a No Nonsense 0 tolerance environment. If you are on time, you're late. Always be prepared to expect the unexpected because things can shift without warning. Patience and communication is Key and Teamwork is a Must! Employees here develop friendships very quickly because they rely upon one another. Organization, preparation, information, speed and efficiency is the name of the game. Technology now gives us the ability to be accurate and accoutable to our customers. One of the biggest things UPS has taught me is NEVER ASSUME ANYTHING and dont ever get comfortable. Use every minute to its fullest. Most of all.......The Customer has other options! The competition is ALWAYS lurking outside the door. So don't give the customer any reason to leave....
Pros
Decent salary and 7 weeks of vacation 1 week pd sick days
Cons
3rd shift, subjected to weather, struggling for sleep