UPS Employee Reviews

Found 11,511 reviews matching the search
Large Corporation / lacking in career advancements
Information Services/Data Security Adm (Current Employee) –  Mahwah, NJMarch 23, 2016
I work on a daily basis servicing ID's for Customers and employees.
Co-workers are very nice and helpful, Management lack leadership and few can make decisions.
My job is very easy and tends to get boring.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Very little career advancements for Administrators
Bad luck and timing working here
Preload/Driver Helper (Former Employee) –  Abilene, TXFebruary 4, 2016
started from the bottom of a company thats based off seniority.. was told to stick with and over time the opportunity of advancement was worth it.. worked 3 am- 10am M-F and driver helped 11 am -3pm.. considered on sticking with it and making a it a life long career and advance to delivery.. unfortunately I ended up getting laid off with 15+ workers and some of those workers who were committed to job that were laid off have been working there 5+ years..
Pros
Benifits
Cons
management
ups freight
city driver (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZMarch 2, 2016
great place to work good pay benifits good management co-workers
easy job long hours home on weekends mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
Operations Management
operations supervisor (Current Employee) –  Uniondale, NYDecember 15, 2015
Overview of staffing for the day. Planning a day that is cost effective and enables me to service our clientel. During regular season we service 15k-19k daily. During our 'peak' hours which are generally the holiday season we service up to 30k daily. I make about $72,000 yearly. I work 12-16 hours daily. The hardest part about the job are the hours I report to work at 12 midnight and work until 12 noon or until the job is complete. And during the holiday we start as early as 10pm and work as late as 4pm the following day. The most enjoyable part of the job was coaching and counseling my work group. I learned how to multi task, ensure safety, organize, accountability, leadership, time management and how to run cost effectively and still service our customers effectively and efficiently.
Pros
Good pay and full benefits
Cons
Climate control and long hours
Choose Your Own Career
Loader / Unloader / Sorter (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNDecember 16, 2015
I worked at UPS for nearly seven years on three different shifts doing innumerable jobs, including loading and unloading semi-trailers, sorting parcels, and fixing international shipping labels. There are many different job positions, and many advancement opportunities. I have had friends who went into management, or became package car drivers, or even over-the-road truckers. I worked with people who have been working full-time at UPS their entire lives, who appreciated the security they received by aligning themselves with that company. It's practically future-proof because as the internet grows, so does shipping.

But, you'll have to work hard.
Pros
Long-Term Potential
Cons
Physical Work
The work is very physically demanding.
Sorter (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INDecember 6, 2015
The work is very physically demanding on top of a lack of sleep, because you start work late night or early, early morning depending on the shift you chosen for part-time. Depending on what UPS center or city, it may take 5 years or more to advance to full-time. Many people don't have the patience to stick it though. If you decide to go into management, depending on the center or city in which you work; you probably won't get promoted to full-time management unless you have Bachelor's Degree. If you do decide to go into management whether full-time or part-time, be prepared to take 'flack' from the supervisors above you.
Pros
excellent benefits, great pay for part-time work, opportunity for advancement
Cons
very physically demanding, odd hours if part-time that makes it hard to fit it in with another job, going into management you won't know much about it until you're actually in it
Stable company with job security
Driver Helper/Package Handler (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMMarch 4, 2016
I enjoyed working for UPS. The pay was good as were the people that I worked with. The physicality of the job was refreshing because it provided a nice daily workout. The union representation and accompanied benefits were the best I have ever experienced.
Pros
Job security, employee representation, benefits
overnight
Package Handler (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLNovember 2, 2015
Relationships — Occupations that satisfy this work value allow employees to provide service to others and work with co-workers in a friendly non-competitive environment. Corresponding needs are Co-workers, Moral Values and Social Service. See more occupations related to this work value.
Support — Occupations that satisfy this work value offer supportive management that stands behind employees. Corresponding needs are Company Policies, Supervision: Human Relations and Supervision: Technical. See more occupations related to this work value.
Working Conditions — Occupations that satisfy this work value offer job security and good working conditions. Corresponding needs are Activity, Compensation, Independence, Security, Variety and Working Conditio
A productive work place with a steady pace and a team oriented atmosphere.
Pre-loader (Current Employee) –  Franklin, TNMarch 17, 2016
This is by far my favorite job! Its straight to the point - using safety you move packages from one place to another utilizing organization skills while ensuring the proper handling of each package. I have not had any problems with our wonderful staff and management. The benefits are amazing and the work feels great! You learn how to be efficient while being quick and safe about it.
Pros
Amazing health benefits and a work out.
Cons
Peak season hours double(however more hours means more compensation).
Fast-paced and teamwork environment
Frontline Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLDecember 3, 2015
A typical day involved fostering and encouraging team motivation and cohesiveness for extremely fast-paced work flow.

I learned about forecasting and was provided an opportunity for real-time application and usage of my current studies in quantitative analysis.

Management is stringent for efficiency, yet edifying for team members to improve and seek promotional opportunities.

The co-workers interact comradely within their respective ranks.

The hardest part of the job most of the time were employees who were not team players.

The most enjoyable part of the job is seeing my team meet and exceed the company goals.
Pros
Great Benefits (Health and Life Insurance), Compensation
Cons
Limited hours
Ups
Up-loader (Former Employee) –  Parsippany, NJFebruary 25, 2016
Being a part-time Up-loader was very difficult to get hours after peak season. Basically worked 10 hours a week. Hub supervisors are helpful but upper management needs help. Co-Workers are good people if you're respectful. Basically its non-stop box lifting. Boxes can range from 1 pound to 160 pounds. Sometimes it gets extremely busy and very fast paced. Someone with Claustrophobia would not enjoy this job, actually I would never recommend this job to someone who cant handle any sort of tight spaces. Part- time benefits are a plus regardless, which they offer health and dental after a year.
Pros
benefits, promote within company
Cons
tight spaces, lack of hours
UPS is a great work place
Package Handler (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXFebruary 16, 2016
getting up early lifting boxes loading trucks before they left to make there deliveries. Ive learned to be urgent, safe, and lift boxes properly. Management is terrible i'm not speaking for everybody that was a manager. UPS hired just about everybody so you will have people that were managers but didn't like certain people. It was like being in High school all over again. they always hired people to be supervisors but never truly ever had to load or unload a truck. I've noticed there would be a lot of disrespect amongst each other as well as physical confrontations. I never found anything hard about the job maybe the hardest thing was building walls in the 18 wheeler trucks. the Most enjoyable part about the Job it is a great workout and be sure you drink a lot of Water
Pros
Benefits for oneself and family and great workout and they feed the employees
Cons
they hire anybody for the most part, when they interview you they're really just sizing you up to see where you will be placed
okay job, no real advancement or benefit
Center Manager (Current Employee) –  Miramar, FLApril 6, 2016
I learned how to handle certain situations better, but overall it's a constant cycle of poor management. The employees are great but there is constant nagging and complaining over the things that we have no control over or things that only the owner has access too. there is too much responsibility given to myself and the employees because he doesn't want to deal with it or is "too stressed"
Pros
Cons
no real breaks, no benefits/workers comp, etc.
United Parcel Service
Package Handler (Part-Time) (Current Employee) –  Secaucus, NJJanuary 27, 2016
A ordinary day of work for me is unloading multiple trailers within a three to four span with a ten minute break.

I learned that one person cannot to everything to get the work day accomplished, all hands have to be on deck. Teamwork is the way to go.

Management is on top of the what is coming in and out of the building before the work day begins. Furthermore, they're always communicating throughout the day operation to make sure things going according to plan.

My co-workers are about getting the task at hand accomplished.

There is nothing at all hard about what I do

Honestly I do not enjoy my job. It puts a strain on my lower back unloading trailers everyday. I have to be very careful to not pull a muscle.

Overall UPS is a good part-time job with nice benefits
Fast pased and very physical job
Pre loader (Current Employee) –  Colorado Springs, COFebruary 20, 2016
I'm an extra pair of hands so vary day to day; I work in the mezzanine scanning and labeling packages, folding bags the packages come in and help sort mail. I help unload 20 to 40 foot trailers of heaver packages that come to our center; this is the most enjoyable position, makes the mornings seem to go by fast because its constant work. I can also load trucks; which is definitely the hardest job, making sure to load the right packages into the right truck. Management is fair to their employs.
Pros
very good benefits
Cons
Very short breaks; Early morning job, most co-workers arent very happy.
Overall it was a good job, it had it's good and bad, but it was good enough for me to had stuck it out for 18 years.
Unloader (Former Employee) –  Oak Creek, WIFebruary 1, 2016
Unloading trailers until the volume is done. I've learned to be a hard worker that's dedicated to getting the job done safely and wright. Management was okay but could've been better people persons Keeping up a steady flow once You get in a trailer that is mostly bulk. The benefits like medical, dental, vision, life insurance, and 401K, and also the pay.
Pros
Good paying job with benefits and also a physical job that'll keep You in shape and upbeat.
Cons
The management gave positions to people that haven't put in the years, compared to those that put in the years and had the senority to be working those positions.
They push us only for our best. We get conpensation for our good work.
DOCK WORKER (Current Employee) –  Chula Vista, CADecember 10, 2015
It is a great place to work. Management may push, but that is only because it can be a stressful job. We have deadlines to meet and they expect us to work hard to meet them. Everyone is usually left to work, by this I mean that management is not breathing down your neck all day. I can at least say that I look forward to working there everyday.
Pros
rewarded with food and gifts for good work, benefits, plenty of hours
Cons
management can be a bit over the top sometimes, they can be slow to respon on request, union sometimes can be against you especially if you are new.
Productive and Fun Place to Work
Designer and Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Great Neck, NYFebruary 6, 2016
The UPS Store is a great place to work in the start of your career. You learn many skills that can help you along in your career goals. Is it somewhere you want to work for the rest of your life? Not particularly, unless you wind up becoming a franchise owner. Every owner, manager and store is different. It's a great place to network and meet various types of people. The hardest part of the job is moving up. There is little room for advancement. Take what you can get in the time you need to get it.
Pros
Comfortable work environment, many skills to be learned
Cons
Varies between owners, competitive
great company and great benefits
Trainer and Package Sorter (Former Employee) –  Louisville, KYMarch 24, 2016
A very safe and good company to work for. Competitive pay and great benefits. Advancement opportunities are available.
Pros
good pay, good benefits
Cons
physical work
Great company
Loader/Unloader (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 25, 2016
The job itself is physically demanding in a challenging environment. I work outside unloading airplanes and cargo. It is a third shift position and outdoors, which the biggest downfall. It can be unpredictable with the weather and this can be challenging. The job itself is a bit physical but never boring. I get to work on different types of equipment and responsibility. The company itself has excellent benefits and scholarship programs for all employees, even part-time.
Pros
Excellent benefits and promotions
Cons
Odd hours and weather