UPS Employee Reviews in United States

Found 11,122 reviews matching the search
Fast-paced environment with good potential benefits
Preload Package Handler (Former Employee) –  Arlington, WAMarch 21, 2016
Enjoyed working here, for the most part. Very fast-paced, physical job. They only give you about 10 minutes worth of training before leaving you alone which means you learn by making some mistakes which is a little stressful with how fast-paced it is and how crucial it is to NOT make mistakes. But it is easy to learn what is expected and you should pick it up in no time. Met some nice co-workers, and you have time to chat a little during an occasional 10-minute break. UPS has good benefits but they don't kick in until you've worked there a year. I was basically a seasonal worker during peak season (Thanksgiving through Christmas). After the New Year, they were over-staffed and I was sent home sometimes without work.

The work is very physical and is definitely not for everyone. Typically moving/lifting boxes up to 50+ pounds, but occasionally up to 75 or 100 pounds and sometimes there is not someone close enough to help you. The company is good as stressing work safety, but because the work is so fast-paced and rigorous, it can be easy to get hurt at work if you are not in good enough shape or if you move or twist in an "unsafe" manner while moving/lifting a box.
Pros
Built-in workout, good benefits if you stay long enough, sense of accomplishment
Cons
Lack of communication from management at times
overnight
Package Handler (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLNovember 2, 2015
Relationships — Occupations that satisfy this work value allow employees to provide service to others and work with co-workers in a friendly non-competitive environment. Corresponding needs are Co-workers, Moral Values and Social Service. See more occupations related to this work value.
Support — Occupations that satisfy this work value offer supportive management that stands behind employees. Corresponding needs are Company Policies, Supervision: Human Relations and Supervision: Technical. See more occupations related to this work value.
Working Conditions — Occupations that satisfy this work value offer job security and good working conditions. Corresponding needs are Activity, Compensation, Independence, Security, Variety and Working Conditio
Positive work environment
Preload Package Handler (Current Employee) –  Rancho Cordova, CAMarch 22, 2016
As a pre-load crew member we unload and load trucks and sort packages. With the management changes over the last six months it has been a huge spark in morale and productivity. It is physically demanding but also rewarding as it keeps you in great shape.
Pros
benefits are incredible!
Cons
physically demanding
One of the best jobs out there
Data Operations Management Specialist (Former Employee) –  Manhattan, KSJanuary 26, 2016
I loved working for UPS. Some days were hectic, but it kept me busy. I got to work with really great people and learned a lot from my supervisor. UPSers are the best type of people there are because they're hard working, caring, and they look out for each other. I did a lot of work on the computer, but got to also speak with and assist customers. I got to know my customers on a first name basis and it really made the job better. The pay is great and the benefits are also great.
Pros
Great pay, great benefits, great people
Great work enviroment,
UPS Driver Helper (Former Employee) –  Pelham, NYJanuary 20, 2016
A typical work day is the truck is packed with about 200 to 300 boxes and packages. I learned that its a fast paced non stop on the grind to deliver every package to every stop on the DIAD board. management is Great co workers were fun to be around. the hardest part of the Job I would say delivering the packages on time severe weather. and the enjoyable part is the look on the customers face when they receive their packages.
Pros
1 Hour Lunch
Cons
Great Healthcare, 401K plan
Wish I was still working there
Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  Alpharetta, GADecember 10, 2015
UPS is a huge company with lots of red tape and politics. It was difficult to know if I was successful in my job or not, because I was not a developer. Well I guess I know now that I wasn't, because I was fired as part of workforce reduction/ reorganization. The job was pretty monotonous. I feel that being in the wrong department / wrong job title was why I got let go. If I had stayed in the Logistics side, I would probably still be working there.
Pros
Benefits & Compensation good
Cons
Some managers have a lack of experience and don't mesh with employees.
Simple loading or unloading trucks.
Bulk Package Handler (Former Employee) –  Hodgkins, ILMarch 20, 2016
You have designated trucks to keep an eye on. Making sure the trucks doesn't get backed up and overflowed. You are usually put in the truck that your supervisor feels that you can handle.
Pros
Job Security, Benefits, and Flexibility
Cons
Short hours, no overtime, Hard Labor, and low pay.
Family environment good people
Unloader (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLDecember 19, 2015
I worked for this company for almost 4 years it's a great place to work if your a college student looking for a part time job other then that the place sucks. Working 12 hours a week can't support any average human being with a life and bills the best thing about there was the family environment and the benefits ups has the best benefits of any job I've ever worked at and I lost 40 pounds unloading 10 trucks a night while there they also have great supervisors and management team that's rear to say that about any work place in America today
Benefits
Cons
No hours
Excellent benefits Set hours
Loading/Unloading (Former Employee) –  Hodgkins, ILJanuary 20, 2016
A typical day at work was a lot of lifting and staying safe. It was also fast paced. I learned how to send out packages in unique orders. Management were very nice and eager to please. My co workers were hard workers and very dependable. The hardest part of the job was making sure you didn't have any jams so you always had to pace yourself. The most enjoyable part of the job was you always had something to do.
Pros
Excellent benefits
Cons
Not enough hours
Productive and enjoyable enviroment
preloader (Current Employee) –  Kalispell, MTJanuary 14, 2016
I work the part time position at Kalispell U.P.S Center 5:30 am-9.15am unloading the Semi truck trailers that come in with the Merchandise that vary from 28feet in length up to 45 feet in length, very fast paced, Hard work the harder you work the more you will be appreciated of course. Great supervisors, good management. Amazing health benefits competive pay, paid vacation.
Pros
healthcare Oppourtinity vast growth good enviroment payed vaction
Cons
short breaks
heavily time oriented atmosphere
Driver (Former Employee) –  TexasFebruary 8, 2016
typical day begins the moment you step foot in the building. time is of the essence so breaks are short coming. Any job offered by UPS will require you to earn every penny you make. You will however be compensated accordingly. Amazing health and company benefits. You build a strong sense of family with your coworkers and even some of the management personnel.
benefits
Cons
short breaks
very stressful!
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  San Leandro, CAOctober 23, 2015
Management and employeess treated unfair requiring employees to be over worked. Management pay scale is based off a 50 hour work week yet they work 60+ with no added compensation due to being salary. Also, randomly have Saturday management meetings after working 60 hours. The salary seems very good until you take into consideration where you will be working. Living in the Bay Area is extremely expensive but so is commuting with the cost of fuel and tolls. Management does not even have time for lunch!

It is all about numbers and never about the employees, welcome to corporate america if you decide to work here. Also, be ready to get written up a lot for every little thing. Supervisors 5 minutes late and they get a write up! Maybe other locations are better, but I would not recommend UPS Freight in San Leandro, CA.
Pros
Cons
no lunch, disrespect, long hours
Good envirement
UPS Package Handler (Former Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXMarch 14, 2016
Came into work early, went to my station and prepared my self mentally and physically. I learned the different location to each package. The principal of logistics. Management was fair. My co-workers were great. there was no hard part about the day. I liked everything about it.
Benefits
Cons
Timing
Good job if you don't mind working as a slave..
Hub Person/Revenue Recovery/Drivers Helper (Former Employee) –  Ontario, CANovember 15, 2015
I can't believe I wasted 11 years 4 months with thinking my efforts would accumulate to something, but the reality in the end was I was expendable.Be careful of your associates cause they will attempt to deviate you from your goals or purpose.Stay focused on your objectives that what I've done.Originally I signed into a contract for 10 years still the economy was so bad I chose to leave once I noticed the quality of co-workers had diminished.Not a bad job if your willing to go combo which was full time.
I was making $17.39 after after my 10th year what waste of time and efforts.
Pros
Good benefits for cell phones, dental sucks, cause you really can't use it till you quit.
Cons
Co-workers, Management
good workout
Dock worker (Current Employee) –  Tukwila, WADecember 20, 2015
The job is very fast-paced but it starts off slow then as the night progresses the flow of voulume begins to pick up,ive been there for 7 years without any major injuries because of the methods that i was trained on and thats pretty much the key to being successful there and always keep a positive mind set because there will be days that certain things or people will get under your skin,so keep it cool and follow the methods that they train you on and you will do just fine.
Pros
Great workout, Great benifits, Teamsters based job
Cons
semi good management
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Ontario, CANovember 24, 2015
Overall the work is good. They pay is good if you are an hourly employee.

My experience are mostly as a part time supervisor. Once you go management things change. The benefits use to be decent but with the financial crisis a lot of it was stripped away quickly, and only a small bit is slowly coming back. If you plan on advancing or obtaining full time you got to make sure you have what they are looking for and then you have to know the right people.

The management is probably the worse part of the job. Their opinions are the only ones that matter. The best part is probably your co-workers. Generally your team knows the deal and will help you out.
Cons
full time opertunities
hard work not enough hours
package sorter (Current Employee) –  DFW Airport, TXMarch 27, 2016
I go to work and i usually get about 4 hours a day. it is a good job when it comes to benefits but as far as supporting your family you have to be there many years to get high pay. it is a progressive pay scale and its not easy but if you tough it out it might be worth it.
Pros
great benefits
Cons
you dont get many hours to work full time work is hard to get.
Productive, good place to work
Part Time Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Tempe, AZFebruary 2, 2016
UPS is a good place to begin an entry level job. There are many openings for moving upwards in the company, and they provide tuition assistance for employees who are looking for job advancement or other job opportunities.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Sometimes the work environment can be difficult in the summer. The hub is not air conditioned.
Good part-time job
Off-Site Representative (Former Employee) –  Cerritos, CAFebruary 28, 2016
A typical day at work can be hectic with a constant workload of 300 boxes an hour minimum and ranging from 1lb - 150 lbs. I learned how to be efficient, organized and a team player. The hardest part of the job was the uncertainty of the change in workload per day. Although it could be a tough job it was also rewarding like at the end of a workout.
Pros
Paid vacation, benefits
Cons
dirty and heavy lifting
Good Company to work for
Driver Helper (Former Employee) –  Fort Myers, FLMarch 29, 2016
Good Benefits, but long hours, which limits your Work/Life Balance, Physical work, but you are able to be outdoors and not stuck indoors all day
Pros
Outside, Physicl work
Cons
could be compensated better, monetarily