Urs Flint

Urs Flint Employer Reviews

enjoyable work place
Crane Operator- Daily (Former Employee), fort mcmurrayJuly 9, 2013
Pros: good pay
I have learned how to work with cranes and work in all different kinds of environment.
enjoyed working with all my co workers
I enjoyed working with my crane
OK but not great
INDUSTRIAL ELECTRICIAN (Current Employee), Calgary, ABJuly 4, 2013
Pros: safety
Cons: poor management
Safety is #1 24/7 but maybe not the employees. could be better manage
Horrible work environment
Welder (Former Employee), Cold lakeJune 12, 2013
Pros: paid weekly
Cons: everything
Flint in cold lake is a joke! They have their bbo cards but it is frowned upon if you have a safety concern. The foreman were good except for their dsp foreman who enjoyed walking over apprentices. No family life I was hired on a 40 hour work week and was forced to work a 60 hour 12/2 shift.

Stay away from flint in cold lake!!!
Great company
High Angle Rescue Lead/Safety Advisor (Current Employee), Sherwood Park, ABJune 1, 2013
amazing company to work for. Willing to spend money on their workers to help out on careers. Pays not to bad and most people are easy to work with. Safety is really number one with the company.
Productive and fun place to work
Sub-Contract Coordinator (Current Employee), CalgaryMay 29, 2013
An interesting atmosphere to work, people from various parts of the world, huge exercise room to distress after the day's work, good meals and overall pleasant communication with all managers and fellow employees.
Undo stress from unqulified formen
Crane operator (Former Employee), Surmont 2May 25, 2013
Pros: camp is ok
Cons: management plays favourites
No encouragement always criticized treated like children! If your from newfoundland and like to kiss butt, you might be ok!

June 11, 2013

I was there, your comments are sad but true.

Working At URS Flint
EHS Administrator / Training Coordinator (Current Employee), Conklin, ABMay 23, 2013
URS Flint is an excellent company to work for. I have had the opportunity to advance in my career and work with some wonderful people.
One of the worst companies I have ever worked for
Senior Administrator/EA (Former Employee), Calgary, ABMay 15, 2013
Pros: free parking
Cons: long hours, low pay, no thank you for your hard work only criticism if you made a mistake
There is no such thing as work/life balance here. A typical workday always included overtime (which was banked and never paid out) and working through your lunch break. The expectation was unrealistic. You never felt like you had sufficient time to finish projects before more projects were piled on you.
Management didn't care how many hours you worked – more... or how hard you worked or how much stress you were under, they just wanted you get the job done. There was absolutely no on the job training provided, you were just expected to figure it out as you went along. The co-workers were awesome, but don't get attached because there were firings and layoffs weekly. The most enjoyable part of the job were the great people that worked there. – less
Surmont 2
Pipefitter (Former Employee), Surmont 2May 15, 2013
Pros: have your own washrooms.
Cons: too many to list.
Job site is a joke. Unless you're from Newfoundland or the Phillipines forget about actually working in your trade. The job is totally unorganized. Most foreman are completely clueless and unable to manage their crew.

You are treated like a prisoner while in this camp with all the rules.

If you want to make a quick couple of grand it's o.k but be – more... prepared to lose some sanity while being there. – less
Terrible erratic Management
Compliance function - Management (Former Employee), Sherwood ParkMay 10, 2013
Pros: good pay scale
Cons: uninspiring, uncertain, lack of hr values and not truthful.
Awful company to work for, due to erratic centralised decision by unqualified group that has risen through the ranks. Good policies on paper that is only for reference and show casing. Terrible employee morale due to inconsistent labour policies and frequent terminations.
NA
Contract Trades Recruiter (Current Employee), Calgary, AlbertaMay 10, 2013
Pros: na
Cons: na
na

I am a contractor, and therefore I cannot answer other than to say, it is a very fast paced and unique environment. I have also met a lot of great people.
Disorganized
Pipefitter Apprentice (Former Employee), Calgary, ABApril 11, 2013
Pros: easy for new workers to get into a pipefitting trade
Cons: low salary, poor management, slow learning curve
This is my first experience with URS Flint, but the impression is not the greatest. There are some good things, but overall, the managerial skills are severely lacking, and this makes everything seem much worse.
In a typical day, workers meet for the morning tailgate, there is a safety moment, and we go over the tasks for the day. Then we meet with – more... our foremen and discuss individual tasks. We write up THA (Task Hazard Assessments) and proceed with gathering our tools and getting to our job sites. We work for 10 hour shifts.
The hardest part of the day would probably be getting through the length of the day and the physicality of the work.
The most enjoyable part is learning new things about pipefitting.
I have learned a great deal about safety procedures, including tool use, and assessing and eliminating hazards. – less
Great Place to Work
Billing Specialist (Project Accountant) (Current Employee), Richmond Hill, OntarioMarch 29, 2013
Pros: good work environment in canada division
Cons: powerless against us policy makers and very less decision making power.
When I joined this company as A/P clerk, situation was really bad because of transition of accounting system to ERP and old clerk left job with short notice. I managed independently whole A/P to stabilize. I was the only one in A/P. In 2011 I joined Billing department. Enjoyed working, learning about new area in J.D. Edward system. Staff and supervisor – more... are very co-operative and social. Company is currently undergoing major cost cutting and consolidation of jobs with US counterpart. – less
Productive and cultural workplace
Civil CADD Technician (Former Employee), Markham, ONMarch 4, 2013
I have learned some subsurfaces
The management is excellent
My co-workers are very nice
The hardest part of the job is transit.
The most enjoyable part of the job is being a CADD Technician
Good working atmosphere where you are encouraged regularly.
Area Project Accountant (Current Employee), Fort McMurray, ABFebruary 14, 2013
I have learned to grow as an employee and personally. Management is willing to help in all ways possible and they encourage your best work. I love coming to work everyday, as there is a great working environment and atmosphere
Nothing good to say
Supervisory (Former Employee), Ft. MacJanuary 17, 2013
Cons: get out while your ahead
Not a good company to work for. Very high turnover rate in the HSE Department. Being micro managed by corporate. Basically they monitor every minute your in the office and wondering why your not in the field. To many Bosses. They just pass the buck so Lead Safety don't have to do anything.
yaaaaaaa noooooo
pipefitter (Former Employee), Edmonton AlbertaJanuary 16, 2013
Pros: nothing
Cons: more important to make money then safety is
this is easily the crappyest company around I work for them this summer for 1 month in a mod yard in Edmonton just off clover bar road and it was the most disorganized site I've ever seen in my life not to mention all the foreign workers so many people out here can't find work or having trouble getting apprenticeships and they're hiring 1000 thousands – more... of people from other countries I think it's completely disrespectful completely stupid its not always easy to become apprentice sometimes it is sometimes it isn't it depends on the company !all the foreign workers could barely speak a lick of English they wouldn't even put up tape during crane lifts with red ribbon tape it was just the danger zone so many little things happen that I could see someone getting severely injured on that site 1 of my friends work there and he was there for just over a month as well as a lectrician if he left it after a month too! should be mandatory did they put all foreign workers through an English course I even told the safety that it's kinda hard to say you're all about safety when the workers around you can't even understand each other and they start talking in amongst our language when we're doing a crane lift and I'm on the tagline I have no idea what they're saying It really madee me mad – less
Okay place to work, terrible management
Heavy Equipment Operator (Current Employee), Conklin, ABJanuary 14, 2013
Pros: travel covered, stress free
Cons: poor management, boring, no real respect for employees
Was at MEG Energy Christina lake site, travel was about the only benefit of working there, management was terrible, no communication and very poor planning, spent most of the shift doing nothing but sitting around, might of worked 40 - 60 hours in two weeks. I prefer to be kept busy but thats just me. crews were pretty good, except for the local labour – more... i think they hired at fort mac 7/11 as some of the guys have never seen a shovel in there lives. foreman were good, 2.25 for night shift bonus which was ok, top Operator rate was 42.74 including night shift premium, if you get into Poplar ridge camp on site you will be lucky as it is a awesome camp with great food and rooms – less

June 11, 2013

I currently work for Flint at MEG Christina Lake and agree that communication / planning is very poor. I have found this to be the case with Flint the previous two time I have worked for them. Flint was bought by URS last year and I have been told that URS has been observing management, operations and that "restructuring" of management from top to bottom will begin in the next 8 to 12 months.

Very good company to work for , looking for more out of town work
Safety/Electrician (Current Employee), Calgary AlbertaDecember 27, 2012
I enjoy my time at URS FLINT they have been very good to me. They allowed me time off to complete my NCSO training. FLINT always encouraged me to keep advancing myself and I'm greatful for all ive learned here.
Poor work environment
Journeymen (Former Employee), Conklin ABDecember 16, 2012
Pros: 11 hr days (meg) onsite training for safety tickets
Cons: disorganized and passive aggressive management culture, lost work to ledcor
Went too their MEG 2 project in Conklin in September 2012 with promises of over a year of work and the best camp in Alberta with flights but the five star camp is full of office staff  who get priority. also met a few well connected green hats who had no experience and started later, but were sent to the nice camp right away while we (experienced JM) – more... were put up in a hole called MEG 2 camp,  and the flights , well only office staff got flights and the rest took the bus, and they were once again laying off by Dec. They lied through thier teeth to keep guys from leaving just to lay them off middle of dec 2012, with little hope of finding a job until well after the holidays.

The site was severely disorganized, all too often  one or two crews would be halted by another crew due too poor planning. This contributed too the very low moral. Many of the foremen, GFs and up had jobs based on thier relationships even if they were greatly lacking experience . It was very obvious to everyone the management team was of very poor caliber and instead of accepting responsibility  the blame was passed down the line in the morning meetings
We called the weekly safety meeting demoralizing meetings as it sucked the little energy out of the craftsmen.
 I do not expect to be treated like a king, and I can take a good deal of BS from an employer, but they had very little respect for good craft workers, therefor I want to help others avoid wasting thier time with the incompetent project management team employed by flint, hopefully URS cleans up flint a bit and employes a much more positive management team in the future. It sounds  like the surmount job is even worse, yikes! – less

About Urs Flint

URS Flint is a leading provider of an expanding range of integrated products and services for the oil and gas industry including: – Read more