The US-Libya Business Association (USLBA) is the only bilateral U.S. trade association focusing on the United States and Libya. Founded in 2005 to promote the U.S.-Libya commercial and diplomatic relationship, the USLBA is a non-profit, member-based organization that analyzes and reports developments in the Libyan economy and in the bilateral U.S.-Libya relationship and organizes member-only and public events with U.S. and Libyan officials.
The USLBA is a separate entity managed by and co-located with the National Foreign Trade Council (NFTC). Advancing global commerce for 95 years, the NFTC is a leading business organization advocating an open, rules-based global trading system. Founded in 1914 by a broad-based group of American companies, the NFTC now serves hundreds of member companies through its offices in Washington and New York.
Major responsibilities of this position include:
- In depth research into aspects of the modern Libyan economy and Libyan politics
- Monitoring and summarizing Libyan print and broadcast media as well as social media, focusing on electoral politics and business issues
- Attending conferences related to Libya and producing written summaries
- Administrative support, maintaining databases of companies interested in Libya
Qualifications for this position include:
- Arabic Proficiency
- Strong commercial and policy research skills with the ability to synthesize information
- Strong writing skills
- An interest in international commercial and trade issues is preferred
- Self-motivated professional able to work independently and as a member of a team
- Excellent internet and computer skills
Interested interns will also have the opportunity to contribute to the U.S.-Middle East Free Trade Coalition, also managed by NFTC. Since 2004, the U.S.-Middle East Free Trade Coalition, with more than 100 U.S. member companies, trade associations and other organizations, has supported the expansion of trade, investment and commercial ties to foster economic development with countries of the Middle East.
This position is unpaid. Undergraduate students, graduate students, and recent graduates accepted.