US Airways Employee Reviews in United States

I have loved the experience and knowledge I have gained with US Airways over the past 27 years. It has become a part of my family as well.
Analyst - Inventory Services (Current Employee) –  Winston-Salem, NCNovember 23, 2014
A typical day at work is assisting other US Airways employees using analytical skills to determine whether I can or can't overbook a flight due to weather related issues, schedule changes, or errors made.

I have always got along with the various management personnel in my many different positions within the company as well as became a part of the team when called upon for company planned events.

The hardest part of my job is during extemely bad weather. The reservation and airport personnel depend on my department to assist in a timely manner and provide a seamless customer service experience regardless of the operational demands.
Pros
have great flying benefits.
Cons
we are a 24x7 operation.
Heavy stress job
Senior Reservations Sales Agent (Former Employee) –  Syracuse NYMay 20, 2015
My work career with USAirways was a learning experience on dealing with the public in the customer service field. Very micro-managed and not alot of room for advancement from the customer service position without transferring.
Environment is like a family
Customer Service Shift Manager (Former Employee) –  Essington, PANovember 21, 2014
A typical day consisted of helping a passenger with problems with his/her ticket and getting them to their destination in a timely manner. What I learned is that relationships are very important. Management works with the personal issue that you may have and try to help you out if they can. The co-workers are like members of your own family and help out when they see the need arise. The hardest part of the job was disciplining a hard-worker because of a minor mistake. The most enjoyable part of the job besides being able to travel for free was putting smiles on the faces of the passengers when they realized they were getting to their destination and a reasonable time.
Pros
being able to fly for free and benefits
Cons
long nights on bad weather days.
not a good company to work for
Customer Service Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Arlington, VASeptember 15, 2015
they have a poor management to work for. They only promoted among friends job was not equally distributed. The environment and work condition not safe.
Pros
Cons
non
POST America West Merger Review
Aircraft Maintenance Technician (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCNovember 25, 2013
Make no bones about it you commercial aviation job seekers. This airline, on virtuslly EVERY conceivable level and over SO MANY DECADES, was the festering boil on the buttocks of both the flying public and its embedded employees. I assure you I could go on for VOLUMES with over 30 years of what this employer ONCE had to offer!

HOWEVER. ...

When this airline merged with AWA in the mid 2000's, THANKFULLY the CEO Doug Parker literally completed the purging of the lunacy that still remained at the old US Air. Noticeably. ..and it felt like OVERNIGHT. ..the entire culture of this employer changed as the one "built in arrogance" of your daily tour of duty quickly diminished.

NOT knowing exactly what challenging this latest of mergers with AA will bring...but KNOWING the culture and good work environment of both entities in this case. ..I personally would not hesitate to recommend this combined airline for the future career hopes of all who wush to engage this industry.
Pros
good work environment, across the board benefits, under control unions, genuine training, aircraft environment, pretty darn good flying public
Cons
there will be those frustrating winter days
Great opportunity to travel the world
International Sales Training Instructor (Former Employee) –  Winston-Salem, NCJanuary 10, 2015
The day begins with briefings and system updates. The daily objective is to enhance revenues and encourage customer loyalty via exemplary customer service. The company has a diversified job culture. The hardest part of the job is reporting to work when there is ice on the road. The most enjoyable part of the job is making a positive difference with each customer when there is a problem.
Pros
ablity to travel the world
Cons
there really are no cons. the benefits and salary balance the company demands.
great place to work
Captain (Former Employee) –  cltDecember 10, 2015
The best job any one would want to have. Great pay. The scenery changed all the time from winter to summer. The feeling going down the runway gaining speed until pulling back the yoke and drilling a hole in the sky. Nothing better..
Pros
free lunch
Micromanagement
Accounts Payable Specialist I (Former Employee) –  Rio West - Tempe, AZAugust 29, 2012
Management in the Payables department is less than desired for the controlling micromanaging team in place.

It feels as though you are always being watched, and management is overwhelmed because they are too busy keeping tabs on everyone to do their part for the group.

The job in it's own is great. The team members are typical for a large company. Praise and recognition are mentioned when interviewed, however not handled appropriately within the department to encourage team members to go above and beyond.
Pros
flight benefits, medical benefits
Cons
management
Typical Work Day
Station Support Representative (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXOctober 1, 2015
Fun people to work with, always a new fresh face due to shift changes and new schedule bids. I had very supportive managers and co-workers. Plenty of red tape but considering it was an airline that was totally expected. Began with a small airline that morphed into the biggest airline in the world. Merger added lots of levels of learning for all of us, it never got monotonous.
Pros
Free flights and training opportunities.
Cons
Lots of regulations to keep up with.
goood
Manager (Current Employee) –  Winston-Salem, NCSeptember 26, 2015
good place to work. suggest anyone to work there make it happen fun work place with goo management. you will grow with them
Great work atmosphere
Ramp Agent/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Richlands, NCJuly 23, 2015
The first thing that happens upon arrival is for us to go set up the plane, getting ready for our first flight of the day. Following that, we go inside and begin to check in passengers for their flights. We load and unload planes and return the luggage to the passengers.
Pros
Free flight benefits
Cons
Wages are low, health benefits are bad
Fast, Fun and Diverse place to work.
Customer Service Agent (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJuly 13, 2015
My day would consist of CSA briefings on daily reminders, passenger bookings and assisting customers with their travel needs.. Management was fair. I loved my co-workers. I learned to handle every single persons issue individually. Exceeding and completing my tasks were the most enjoyable parts of my job.
Fun task oriented
Aircraft Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZAugust 20, 2015
Good comprehensive Training
Challenging work, in a good way.
Always new things to learn.
Relaxed environment with some time constrains.
Good benefits.
Overall a nice job environment.
Not Bad
Duty Manager - HUB (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PADecember 17, 2015
Fast paced, free flights. Staff was not very engaged in the operation at this site and it took a handful of hard-working leaders to turn this around. turned 100+ flights a day.
Pros
Free flights
Cons
Sore feet
fun work place
Ramp Agent (Former Employee) –  Greenville, NCAugust 20, 2015
exceptional place to work great benefits . great people very serene.would love to work for them again . it was like a family
Free Flying
Reservation Agent (Former Employee) –  Tempe, AZJanuary 30, 2015
Typical Day was being at the computer on the phone.

I learned every Airport code in the whole world.

Management as far us just above myself was great, higher than that and there was no give for anything.

Co-workers. Loved them, still keep in touch with most of them.

Hardest part of my job was the crazy hours and them changing every 3 months.

Most enjoyable part of my job was the VTO.
Pros
great benefits, free flights
Cons
by the book with the policy, no forgivness
Unfriendly place to work
Customer Service Agent (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis/St. PaulJuly 21, 2015
Lack of communication between management and other
employees. Other employees would belittle the newly hired and not work as a team. Gossiping would be a daily event. Pay was way too low for the responsibility and expectations.
Pros
Exciting environment
Cons
Poor pay, not a team environment, lack of communication
great job!
customer service rep (Current Employee) –  phila.paJune 25, 2015
I've been here so long because I never know what the day will bring.I've met many people from so many different cultures!And the experience on a day to day basis invaluable!When it's bad it can be really bad;but when it's good it's wonderful and fun.Either scenario makes for a job experience like no other.
Pros
free flights, great coworkers, ability to make the hours u need.
Cons
stressful at times
Great place to work!
Captain (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZMay 10, 2015
My time at U S Airways was absolutely the best. In the tumultuous airline industry, it is rare to not be furloughed, yet I never even got downgraded to first officer during a period of bankruptcy. My salary moved up continuously, (although slowly). I was well liked, well treated and I looked forward to going to work. I liked meeting new crew members and getting to know them on lay-overs. I enjoyed the challenge of getting a flight out on time and safely to the destination on time.
Pros
Nice hotels most of the time
Cons
sometimes difficult schedules during my lower seniority years
Productive place to work
Reservations Agent (Former Employee) –  Winston-Salem, NCDecember 2, 2015
i quit working there because of the commute time to winston salem north carolina. it was a hard drive. if you work there, make sure you have a short commute time.