US Department of State

US Department of State Employee Reviews

Highly learning stage for me. Dealing with USAID bureaucracy was quite educating.
Regional Project Manager. (Former Employee), Washington D.C.May 4, 2015
Pros: Flexible work time. Not much overseas travelling. Well tutored in the learning curve.
Cons: ----
This was my first job in the US. The USAID bureacracy and my co-workers treated me with appreciation and respect. Flexible work hours. The salary was adjusted to my own lack of experience with international development and justice sector reform projects. Learned a lot.
I deal wirh integrity regardless of what.
Office Manager (Current Employee), Washington, DCMarch 3, 2015
Pros: flexible arrival time and telework
Cons: diversity
I always start my day with a "Thank You" because this is a day that I have never seen before. Which makes me grateful for having a job while looking for a part time job. A typical day at work is greating people and helping other to complete the teams assignments, answering phone, using my customer service skills, travel, running between annexes when needed. When I say team I mean the office as a whole. I learn each day that you must be flexible and not take other actions to the heart. There is no hard part to my job if it got to be done someone has to do it why not I. I love people no matter what.
Poor culture
Criminal Investigator (Current Employee), Washington, DCFebruary 15, 2015
The culture emphasizes "hallway reputation" while discouraging independent thought and action. The workforce is well educated but lacks imagination.
Challenging
Sr. Project Manager - Site Manager (Current Employee), Washington, DCJanuary 25, 2015
Pros: managing a great team
Cons: working hard
Managing multiple accounts
Manage 10-15 employees
Very Productive
Its Challenging and learning new technology
Working with our customer the Government
Work with Voice and Data Telecom Solutions
Department Overview
BUDGET ANALYST (Current Employee), Washington DCJanuary 13, 2015
Pros: telecommute available
Cons: little work/life balance, poor management
Reimburse accounts within state, and well as agency that provide/recieve service from the Department of State.

Process American salaries for NATO, Africom, and othe detailees located at oversesa embassy/post.

-Appropriation
-Aprotionments-
-Execute budgets based off budget request and CR's

Hardest part of my job is outdate systems. The most enjoyable parts is the vast knowledge that comes long with working as the main financial office within the department. We touch every part of the budget signed by congress.
Amazing Experience
Director of the American Center (Former Employee), JordanJanuary 6, 2015
Truly one of the best places to work at! Being the director of the American Center I enjoyed a lot of autonomy and had the opportunity to learn a lot and apply my skills and experiences on all the different scopes of the business.
Great people, a lot of appreciation for good work, and eventually great friends.
A diplomatic mission. Great place to work with American nationals of referent calibre
Senior Supply Clerk (Former Employee), US Embassy of KuwaitDecember 7, 2014
Serving diplomats of different requirements. Issuing supplies and providing them with furniture and other household items. Learned good customer service. Excellent management.
Great experience with opportunity to make positive impact
Foreign Service Clinical Social Worker (Former Employee), US Embassy PakistanDecember 2, 2014
Pros: positive impact; exciting environment; good compensation
Cons: living away from family and friends
Working overseas in a high threat Post for the Dept. of State was a professionally rewarding experience both from a clinical perspective and a personal growth perspective. As the lead social worker in a foreign country I was responsible for monitoring, assessing and improving the morale at Post. I was able to implement various groups and programs to reach this goal, working with heads of departments and the Ambassador. I also accomplished this goal by developing and maintaining a busy caseload for individual counseling of both State Dept. employees and military personnel. The challenges of learning to live and work in a high stress, high threat Post were difficult but also added to the overall sense of accomplishment. I loved my job so much that my one year tour became a 3.6 year tour. I would recommend this experience to any Clinical Social Worker who enjoys challenges and the opportunity to learn about different cultures.
An amazing employer
Protocol Officer for Diplomatic Affairs (Former Employee), Washington, DCSeptember 2, 2014
High paced, high priority and high visibility...this is the place to be at if you are looking to advance your career and world knowledge.
Fast paced, dynamic environment with great colleagues
Program Officer (Current Employee), Washington, DCAugust 28, 2014
Human rights work on a grand scale as one of the largest, most powerful donor entities means your work really does matter.
Awesome
Adjunct Instructor - ATA (Former Employee), Washington, DCAugust 26, 2014
Great places and good support. Awesome people and travel.
The people you meet are wonderful.
Furocious work at a fast pace
Security Technical Specialist (Former Employee), Kings Town VirginiaJuly 17, 2014
Pros: problems found quickly
Cons: getting help from indigneous personnel to help in repairs
Long days and at times quick reolution required to repair safety systems at a consulate or embassy overseas
Great job satisfaction
Personal Services Contractor (PSC) (Former Employee), Patrick AFB, FloridaMay 28, 2014
Pros: great assignment
Cons: having to deal with the politics associated with the job
A typical day at work have you oversee a multitude of domestic and international chores, flying in other countries, and it was a meaningful and intense mission. I learned to interact with US Embassy and foreign government / military officials in several Latin American countries, contractors, and US Department of State employees. Management was not centralized and was a great mix of ideals and transition from the typical military format of leadership. The military co-workers were a combination of GS employees and military participating agencies supporting the State department. The hardest part of the job was recognizing the limits of your authority, skill level, and those civilian workers assigned above you. The most enjoyable part of the job was knowing that your contributions play an important role in combating the flow of drugs into the USA.
A great life experience
Diplomatic Special police Officer (Inter-Con) (Former Employee), Washington, DCMay 6, 2014
Long hours and day rotations helps you appreciate the smaller things in life.
Intern
Intern (Former Employee), Washington, DCMay 5, 2014
I interned for the Dept. of State for a semester in Washington, D.C.
Pretty cool Co-Workers
Customer Service Manager Assistant (Former Employee), Washington, DCMarch 25, 2014
Laid back busy atomosphere. Management was pretty laid back and reserved.
Senior Technical Specialist (Current Employee), Washington, DCJanuary 14, 2014
Great people and a great mission. Management is well trained and works well with the employees. The job can be difficult, but is well worth it.
marginal
Security Officer (Current Employee), Washington, DCDecember 24, 2013
Pros: great food choices
Cons: standing long hours, short breaks
receive guidance from supervisors
work with other officers
professional environment
work in cold and hot weather conditions standing 10/12 hours a day
well compensated more than most entry level security positions
retired after almost 25 years as a US Diplomat - looking for new horizons
Foreign Serivce Office (Former Employee), variousDecember 17, 2013
Pros: exposure to different cultures and challenging work environments
Cons: dealing with entrenched attitudes which were counterproductive
Always task-oriented. Getting the job done is my top priority. But this can only be done by soliciting input from staff, providing constant training and guidance. The hardest part of the job in some of my State Dept assignments was wading through the bureaucracy. The most enjoyable part was seeing the personal growth in those I supervised and enlisting the support of my peers.
Invaluable consulting experience
Change Management Consultant (Former Employee), Washington, DCDecember 7, 2013
Pros: professional experience
Cons: bureaucracy
Environment was often disorganized, highly political, and dysfunctional. As a consultant it was horrible. Some good, competent people work for the government but they are very few.