US Foods Employee Reviews in United States

This company is a great place to work for
Selector (Current Employee) –  Ogden, UTMarch 19, 2016
The Ogden location in the Salt Lake City division is by far the best place to work hands down. The great thing about this place is that the pay is worth the work that you put in. This job challenges you and strengthens you to work harder and strive for more. It builds your character development and work ethic. This company is great if you are looking to establish yourself and your family. The compensation plans are amazing and beneficial. There is room for advancement and next level progression to move up in the company and do bigger and better. This is a good company to call home and start a career at. It is a launching point. Yes the work is labor intensive and the hours can be long but the pay is worth it. This company values their employees and the hard work that they put in.
Pros
Great pay, Amazing benefits
Good pay and benefits. Needs to resolve warehouse problems. Needs to have better routing.
Delivery Driver (Current Employee) –  North Little Rock, ARFebruary 23, 2016
Great paying job with good benefits. I have never NOT had a raise every year. If you are loyal, you will be shown grace, but also will be used more. Drivers work 4 days a week normally. The exceptions to that is if drivers are short. Home daily, no weekends. The 4 days you work will be anywhere from 11-16 hours with more 12 to 13hrs pr day generally. Exceed rules of DOT. (no hands free devices can be used)
Pros
Pay and benefits
Cons
Long hours, inconsistent routes, job is harder because of continuing inept warehouse, Company exceeds DOT rules in some areas (Over reaching), Company is a corp. it is PC= such as No Christmas party etc., (one example: Has had decorations for Easter, but crosses were not allowed in display.)

Comment – March 24, 2016

If your a driver looking for work at this particular division, I would keep searching. It's horrible right now.

I was able to learn a lot in different departments, I was able to meet a lot of customers and vendors
National Accts Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Clearfield, UTFebruary 3, 2016
I would help any customer that needed same day delivery, or coordinate the next available delivery (depending on location), I would review customer's orders and make sure all store locations had their order in on time to ensure we provided products needed. I needed to ensure any promotional items were available and delivered on time to each store location. We also provided help on our company's food shows and got to meet different vendors that would show new product lines. Great co-worker's and I did enjoy working and learning with some of the management team.
Pros
Free lunche's
Cons
Pay raises didn't happen often
Always busy
Local Commercial Driver (Former Employee) –  Denver, COJanuary 20, 2016
I typically got exactly the government workforce required hours off between shifts. You work at least 6 days a week and if you think you will get a permanent route you wont someone senior to you will take it as is union policy. Constantly people quitting so you are needed to pull longer shifts than you should and they find loopholes to get around the minimum driving time even with the fancy computers in the trucks. You will get stuck hours from home due to poor directions, weather, and bad planning on part of the management. They do pay very well compared to other trucking companies I worked for but you will be busting your butt driving long hours and doing tons of physically stressful labor walking down dangerous flights of stairs with a dolly loaded with food and dealing with a few unpleasant restaurant managers. not to mention driving your semi in crowded narrow city streets and trying to park in feet of snow (if you did colorado routes like I did). The senior workers that cant get fired look pretty happy though.. Being able to just say no to all the extra hours and not get fired due to their union contracts.
Pros
pay
Cons
the job
Exciting retail environment but limited advancement/promotion
Front End Lead (Former Employee) –  Tempe, AZFebruary 20, 2016
Would come in early in the morning to prepare the store for business day. High amount of cash handling everyday. Management was great, although some issues with them favoring certain employees over others. Difficult part of job was dealing with upset/incompetent customers who would never be satisfied.
Also management would share information with certain employees and not others. Enjoyed most working with the team and majority of the customers were very pleasant and a joy to serve.
Pros
Great work like balance.
Cons
Limited advancement and promotions
Good company but to micro managed. Trying to re-invent the wheel again and again. To suceed at this position you must sacrifice time with the family.
Territory Manager (Current Employee) –  MissouriJanuary 18, 2016
To grow your sales in a very competitive field, you better plan on working 55-60 hours a week. Sundays are gone because of having to call customers and put in orders. Very competitive market and your payed on profitabilty which can be very hard at times.They provide lot's of training and support but also lots of micro- management. Beware if they tell you that they give you plenty of time before putting you on click down to commission. I had 1 year and it started. I wouldn't suggest taking this position unless you inherit a 50,000 plus a week in established sales territory. Otherwise your in for a tough battle!
Pros
You are your own business in some ways
Cons
Weekend work, hot shots, collections.
Was a great place to work
Delivery Driver (Former Employee) –  Severn, MDNovember 13, 2015
US Food Severn was a great place to work until about 2009 when two lay offs occurred putting over 30 drivers out of work. There was about 220 drivers at the time because of the work volume, that was hiven to other divisions and underbidded on accounts. There are about 80 drivers and the work is becoming minimal. There's a different transportation manager every 12-16 months who usually gets walked out due to "not performing job duties". The warehouse is 60% full of product and there was a memo put out about a "tentative closing" in turn wanting the driver's and warehouse to take a $5-6 pay cut, pay their own benefits and 401K, and lose 3 days of personal time and this is a union facility. I don't see US Foods Severn surviving the next 2-5 years. The glory days are over.
Pros
Good pay, union, good work environment
Cons
Management, job security, work volume
A great company to work for focused on the guiding principals - Food, Food people, Easy
National Sales & Account Manager (Former Employee) –  New Orleans, LAOctober 23, 2015
Work days consist of 70% of time with customers, 30% in the office.

I learned to communicate across many departments internally and externally on many levels. The importance to be able to multi task, adapt to change and compartmentalize the day to be effective and productive. The use of internal tools and programs ( Prism, Tandem, Edge, Discover, Merlin, Edge) to effectively do my job. Being a great
salesmen is not just about the product but the value you and the product bring to the customer.

Management is focused on its employees putting together the best team of professionals and instilling company values all with one goal in mind bringing great service to the customer.

I truly feel fortunate to have met and worked with so many great and caring people during my tenure.
Pros
the great people you work with, diverse customer base, benefits provided, promotional incentives.
Cons
Limited advancement if working outside the division
Long hours, good pay, very physical job, Union
Delivery Driver (Current Employee) –  CaliforniaApril 3, 2016
This job is very physical, the pay is good for the branch I work at. Every branch has a different union contract meaning pay and benefits are different. The one I'm at starting pay is $19.84 an hour and you cap out at 1 year and a half at $24 something. Theirs overtime every day. 12 plus hours a day. Schedule is a 4/10. The thing I like about working at US Foods is I don't have to rotate product, I don't have to put anything away. All I have to do is line it up in the cooler or outside the cooler and have the customer sign and on to the next. Start time depends on the route, some routes u have to start at midnight , other routes between 3 and 4:30am. You get between 10 to 15 accounts per day . 400-1000 cases per day. The pallets are all mixed with 3 other accounts. You have to dig around to to get the case you need.
Pros
Good pay, Union, employee discounts on food, automatic trucks .
Cons
Drive cams, pallets are mixed with other accounts, Bad equipment. Electric pallet jacks are never charged fully. Tight parking spots.
Company not what it use to be
Territory Manager (Former Employee) –  Springfield, MOMarch 16, 2016
The people are great, the corporate windmill however is in full control and dictates everything. Directly before, during, and even after Sysco's failed acquisition of USF, the company got in it's own head and got away from what they had done so well, and that is treating their people with respect and appreciation. Took me leaving to realize just how bad it was. Gave me my opportunity and am grateful, but never looking back. A shame too, because it use to be a company many people envied.
Pros
Marketing, peers, compensation
Cons
Corrupt, desperate, immoral
Great company to work for.
Senior Account Executive (Former Employee) –  Fairfield, CTMarch 4, 2016
US Foodservice provided a great work environment. I would work for this company again if given the opportunity.

I learned time management. I enjoyed the benefits and client meetings.
Sales driven work place leading in food service consulting
Sales Coordinator/ Will Call Clerk (Current Employee) –  Wixom, MIFebruary 16, 2016
An average work day consisted of processing information for the out side sales force, including; researching new and existing products, submitting credit requests for product discrepancies, and providing logistics reports. On occasion you would be required to cover a sales route in which you would contact customers to place their orders for delivery.

It is very exciting to work in food distribution because you work closely with a majority of the local restaurants. With multiple chefs on site you get to experience new food trends before they hit the restaurants.
Pros
Always on top of the latest food trends and best local restaurants.
Cons
Not a lot of opportunity for advancement unless you are interested in sales
Good Place to work with excellent management
Senior Pricing Analyst (Current Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKFebruary 2, 2016
I grew an an individual since joining US Foods in 1992. I have had several supervisor who helped my growth and who made it a joy to work for this company. Over the course of the past few years the company has started to streamline some processes ,while there may still be opportunity for me to remain with this Great American Food Company, I wanted to explore other opportunities in the market at this time.
Pros
Benefits, pay, great people
Cons
ever changing structure in recent years.
great place to work
forklift operator (Former Employee) –  Lakeland, FLFebruary 23, 2016
I was able to work my way from a selector on night thru the ranks, Forklift operator, Cherry Picker operator up to Leadman. From there worked in the computer department. I topped out on the pay scale no raise for 4 years,
Very Professional and Current
Territory Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLFebruary 9, 2016
Well organized company...
Good structure...
Great benefits...

Selling food is a very competitive. US Foods gives all the tools one needs to succeed. Very fair pay and benefits.
hard work paid off, fast work place
Order Selector (Former Employee) –  boca raton , FLOctober 12, 2015
typical day started as getting dressed with freezer wear and pre pair to work in negative degree environment. proceed to grab electric pallet jack, load up RF UNIT and on the way to start first order, location of slot where product was stationed, load on pallet jack requested amount of products for food distribution. based upon how hard i worked the more cases i pulled the more the money, at times was requested to use cheery picker on selected nights if shortage of personal was also requested to use forklift. Had training in all machinery and certifications. Enjoyed the team work, love the physical aspect of the job. loved the cold environment, did not agree with some of the management ways of organization. But was a team player and did my job
Pros
great money, great co workers, love used the equipment
Cons
very long hours, bad managment
Ok to work there
Warehouse Manager (Former Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXAugust 6, 2016
I worked at US Foods

Pros

Great teamwork but you are still allowed to operate the Distribution Centre as you and your management team see it as necessary to meet and even exceed the customer expectation.
You feel as part of an International Team and your suggestions are considered valuable.

Cons

As an organization, we lost quite a few businesses and thus as a new manager, I lost my position even though my Centre as doing very well.

Advice to Management

This a solid organization with strong support system. I feel that a site manager should be fully responsibly for their centre and should not be bail out if their account is lost to another company. Much more another manager should not lose their position because of other centres failure.
opportunity to learn, fast paced environment, job security
Sr Logistics Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Severn, MDJune 30, 2016
US Foods is a rapidly growing company with much potential. The management in the Operations Department is like a revolving door. The constant change in management causes disruption and a lack of accountability/structure. The team members are awesome and pull together to make it happen no matter what the work conditions are. I enjoyed the "family" like relaxed environment I was a part of.
Pros
Cell Phone Discounts, Stocks, flexibility, generous vacation/personal, vision and dental insurance are great time
Cons
treatment of employees is not always fair. Medical benefits could be much better. The rates, deductibles and out of pocket expenses are crazy for a company of this size.
Dynamic Sales & Marketing Company
District Sales Manager (Current Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHJune 13, 2016
My company has lead the way for the past 5 years with offering our customers the required products & resources they need to remain competitive in a challenging market place. We educate and task our sales professionals with consulting with our customers to create partnerships matching value added resources to their specific challenges. The company works hard to continuously create the additional resources and advance our company initiatives to remain a leader in the food service industry. Our culture is one of accountability, honest evaluation and open communication to constantly grow making it easy for our customers to do business with us.
Pros
Great culture, healthcare benefits, sales rewards systems, technology
Cons
Keeping up with the work load can be challenging when balancing time with family.
Used to be a great place to work
IT Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  Peabody, MAJanuary 20, 2016
I have been with the company for 3 years now. My routine daily work is very diverse and what I mean is there is always projects to complete in the local division and at the corporate level. This includes addressing networking issues, Laptop, OS, and management (assets). I very grateful for many reasons to this company. I have learned from analog cross connections to asset management to network monitoring and management. Not much I can say about coworker since I am the only IT person managing an entire division but most coworkers (end users) are pleasant and easy going. The hardest part of the job is not having the ability to manage certain IT areas that are manage by corporate for example IP phone system. What I enjoy the most about working at Usfoods is the fact that you are given tremendous amount opportunity to learn many things within IT dept.; which again I am extremely grateful.
Pros
free food
Cons
company had bad financial issue lot of people losing their job.