US Foods Employee Reviews

No life if you work for this company. MONEY MONEY MONEY!
Night Clerk (Former Employee) –  Topeka, KSDecember 1, 2016
This isnt a bad company to work for IF you don't have a family. This is more of a single persons job. The pay is great. While working here they were going through management changes and from what I have been told they are going through it again. It was like working in a high school. There was so much drama and rumors. The job itself is very demanding. While I was there I was working 10-12 hour days 5-6 days a week. They pay is good though after working all of those long hours. Turn over rate is INSANE!!!
Run! Run fast and don't look back.
Delivery Driver (Current Employee) –  Plymouth, MNNovember 23, 2016
This is the worst company I have ever worked for! This may be solely associated with the warehouse I work out of, but there seems to be a common theme across the board. I was told I would be working either 4-10hr days or 5-8hr days during my interview. Management failed to exclaim that on your "days off" you will be forced a route and have to work, making it a 6 day work week at 12-14hrs per day. All they care about is that you get your 10 hours off and you show up, to the minute, when that time has elapsed. If you have a family or value your sanity, don't work here....it's a joke!
Pros
Pay
Cons
Deception, hours, routes, extended probationary period, etc.
You Never stopped learning
Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Plymouth, MNDecember 5, 2016
You were kept on your toes frequently. You never stopped learning. To cross train was the easiest I have ever seen. Everyone was treated as a equal. The interaction with the sales reps,distributers and cutomers would alway expand your knowledge. My saying when I worked there was if I didn't learn something new when I left I didn't go to work. It was the only job I had that took a very lengthy time to learn. It was so worth the time
Pros
the benefits, pay and ability to learn
Cons
can't think of any
Accelerated my professional growth at US Foods
Director, National Sales and Service (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CADecember 7, 2016
Daily functions include managing customer and US Foods corporate relations, management of customer LTO's, analyzing profitability, and achieving sales goals.

Periodic functions include quarterly customer business reviews to drive contract compliance, promote new product lines, engage regional VP's and division presidents to insure alignment, and coordinate sales opportunities with merchandising team to reach company objectives for exclusive brand sales.
Pros
Autonomy, on-line systems, professional development
Cons
Deadlines not met by functional areas regarding time sensitive requests
Large phoenix facility with bad management
Driver (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZOctober 25, 2016
As a driver, If you want to just bust your butt and get fired after 90 days this is the job for you. Management has been fighting the Union for years and using the drivers as leverage, they hire about 6 drivers every few months but when it comes time to sign your union protection papers they let you go on the 89th day. Managers mistreat and lie to your face, they should be ashamed to put the US in there name.
Pros
Starting pay is good
Cons
Terrible management
Very fast pace, KPI driven, customer first philosophy
Fleet Manager (Current Employee) –  Centennial, COOctober 25, 2016
Extremely fast pace, very little time to analyze root causes, government controls are a big part in keeping our food products safe, but oversights in these controls seem to be ignored by upper senior management.
The management has limited vision on the daily operation of all departments.
The hardest part of the operation is getting information on the SOP and the standards expected from employees.
Overall decent company
Supervisor, Divisional Accounting (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MODecember 5, 2016
Divisions are not treated the same as the corporate office. There is a lot of training that occurs and is offered on the corporate level. At the Divisions, not so much. US Foods focuses a lot on the improvement of the sales IT systems and not others. Therefore, other areas have a lot of manual work that has to be done in order to make things work effectively. This leads to an inefficient use of resources.
Had a cafeteria
AR Specialist (Former Employee) –  Tempe, AZDecember 2, 2016
Didn't enjoy this company. The accounting department was very more so like a call center based experience. Management was always at edge with each other and hence brought bickering amongst themselves constantly. Atmosphere was very pins and needles with management. Many employees were not happy there. Many complaints from employees regarding management. Very much so on the clock and constantly micromanaged.
Great Place to Work
Territory Manager (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WADecember 1, 2016
I've been with the company over 4 years and there's really not a bad thing I can say about the company. From top to bottom, management is stellar and very professional. The products, services and technology are top notch and unmatched in the industry. I would highly recommend working for US Foods to anyone looking to get in to the industry. Great balance between personal and professional lifestyle.
Great Company
Contract Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Tempe, AZ 85284September 27, 2016
The co-workers quickly become your family. Relying on team members to analyze contracts and clientele's needs, there is always a helping hand. Short travel opportunities for those that work hard and willing to travel for a week. Company often has festivities and truly believe in work/life balance, but depending on field you cover may need to meet time sensitive deadlines even if it means overtime. The company is willing to give overtime as long as you have a project you're working on. Great growth rate with potential advancement opportunities.
Pros
Flexible Schedule, No weekends
Cons
Learning curve happens on the floor, not the training program
If you like working in a police state go ahead
Shuttle Driver (Former Employee) –  Montgomery, ALSeptember 20, 2016
the job of shuttle driver is easy, but being watched by camera's all the time, I.E. if you are on camera taking a sip of water while driving a truck you will be written up, work very unpredictable hours, lack of communication from managers and really no training, kinda do it own your own, pay is ok, but it is not worth the what you have to put up with, there are many more jobs that pay better and are more worker friendly and have stable hours
Pros
may get perks sometimes
Cons
no communication, buddy system, hours not stable
Angered Ex-Employee
Sanitation Worker (Former Employee) –  Greensburg, PANovember 15, 2016
Enjoyed working here prior to being terminated because of a no call no show due to incarceration even though I notified my supervisor the night of my incarceration...all my acquired vacation and holiday pay was taken without even being discussed of the nature of my termination. I feel I was wrongfully terminated without even being given a chance.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Excessive Work
production
Lift Operator (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHSeptember 8, 2016
great company to work for great benefits.i learned how to operate all warehouse equipment while working for us foods.we'd start@6:30pm-until finished and after the work was over most guys would go the breakfast together.the fast pace environment got stressful at times,but you found a way to adjust to that.i really wanted to retire from USFood,it was a great company to work for.I hope the next company i work for is jus as equal
Pros
pay and the benefits
Cons
management
Good company to work for depending upon the division
Delivery Driver (Current Employee) –  Charlottesville, VASeptember 7, 2016
Easy job, not rocket science. Management does not work with you. They will not adapt to current situations, would rather do what worked 20 years ago. Do your research before going here. It is a physically demanding job, keeps you in shape. Hardest part of the job is dealing with upper management who reject to change.
Pros
Weekends off, affordable benefits
Cons
Poor management, poor routing, poor planning all around
Run Away, As Fast as You Can...
Selector (Current Employee) –  Fort Mill, SCNovember 2, 2016
Worst Job I have ever had. Management will lie to you. Management has favorites. Management refuses to give you your back Retro pay. Management does the blame game. Coworker's will say things behind your back NOT to you. Coworker's will say they make 80K a year, but NOT come close to that number. The branch is screwed up the way it ran. Be very afraid.
Depends on the location
Delivery Route Driver (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLSeptember 3, 2016
I worked for US Foods as a driver for almost 4 years. I started in Omaha, Ne and later transferred to Tampa, Fl. Omaha was a great location to work for. Management was organized and helpful. There was a strong team environment, as well as a driver's union. Then I transferred to Tampa, and got to see another side of the company. Horrible management, poor routing, no union which meant that management could play favorites and only assign the good routes and days off to their favorite employees. Pay was not the same either. It didn't measure up to the cost of living. Be careful which branch you work for, and make sure you are in a union.
Pros
Good if there is a union
Cons
Long hours, no life outside work, always on call even on days off, poor management
It can be a great place to work, but at times stressful
Accounts Payable Processor (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZOctober 20, 2016
I've been with the company for a long time. Its a decent place to work and overall they treat everyone fairly. The company is going through a number of changes after a failed merger with a larger rival. It has now gone public successfully and should continue to grow.
Pros
Good people, clear goals
Cons
communication
Productive, Innovative, Detail Oriented, Hardworking
Product Line Manager (Former Employee) –  Columbia, MDOctober 26, 2016
Us Food Service was an excellent opportunity I really enjoyed going to work. They offered: excellent training, good benefits, Bonuses
Vacation, 401 k, mileage for out of the office training, relocation ability, competitive salaries, and much more.
Pros
Cons
Downsized the corporate office
Good Compensation for Hard Work
Night Sele (Current Employee) –  Salem, VANovember 27, 2016
Jobs like this are hard to come by with regard to compensation. On the flip side this job will take a toll on your body. Some of the slots you pick from are only a couple feet off the ground and you will have to crawl to pick something that may way 35-50 Lbs. Other times the slot may be 5 feet off the ground and the only way possible to grab the item is to climb. They preach safety, but under these circumstances it is only preached because you are not paid to be safe. You are paid to be productive. There is no way to do this job for years and not have back pain. Nonetheless, I know that some selectors make $70,000 per year. I would say the average selector makes $45-50K. Pretty much everyone is overworked and irritated. Management seems to care and somehow seems like they are not doing enough.
Pros
Compensation, Weekends off
Cons
10 hr days, night shift, poor working conditions
Ok to work there
Warehouse Manager (Former Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXAugust 6, 2016
I worked at US Foods

Pros

Great teamwork but you are still allowed to operate the Distribution Centre as you and your management team see it as necessary to meet and even exceed the customer expectation.
You feel as part of an International Team and your suggestions are considered valuable.

Cons

As an organization, we lost quite a few businesses and thus as a new manager, I lost my position even though my Centre as doing very well.

Advice to Management

This a solid organization with strong support system. I feel that a site manager should be fully responsibly for their centre and should not be bail out if their account is lost to another company. Much more another manager should not lose their position because of other centres failure.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at US Foods. Our community is ready to answer.