US Foodservice Employee Reviews

I enjoyed how much I learned about all the differents aspects of this business.
Territory Manager (Former Employee) –  Ogden, UTNovember 21, 2015
A typical day was 9-12 hours of work. depending on the department I was a part of at the time, I would do a number of different tasks. From the beginning position to the position I was in when I left, I worked almost every part of the Operations side of the business. I moved to Sales once mastering all that I could in Operations. This is when it became obvious to me that Sales was a good fit for me and I found great success in it as well. Among other, smaller awards, I won the Business Excellence Award the final two years I was in Sales.
I learned almost all there is to know about the Operations side of a distribution company. I also learned a lot in Sales. From the incoming of product to the delivery of product to the customers door, there is not a lot about that business I did not understand. In Sales, I learned so much about customer interaction, scheduling, the dynamics of a sales call and product knowledge required to be successful.
I was also a part of a Safety Committee who spent a portion of their time focused on making a safe work environment for all. We met once a month where we evaluated accidents and future safety hazards. We also developed programs and events to promote safety. My crew that I worked with went two years without an accident.
My co-workers were a very hard working bunch of people which inspired a culture that was hard working and honest about goals. To this day, I still miss a great portion of the people I worked with there.
The hardest part of this job was when the economy changed in '08 and the company began the lay-off process. This company
  more... began with benefit cuts and then moved to retiring their longest tenured employees. I ended up being one of them.
The most enjoyable part of the job was the company I worked for had always taken good care of me and my family and made it much easier to push myself to the next level to be the best I could be.
Pros
Great company that I enjoyed almost everything about.
Cons
This company fell viction to the depression that took place in '08.
It looks good.
warehouseman/ day receiver/ forklift operator (Former Employee) –  NW 37th and 122nd street, Oklahoma City, OklahomaJune 23, 2015
We started work at 5:00am and finished around 3-4:00pm! We worked at a fast pace which made our center one of the top leaders in production (manpower verses product handling). We stocked product for nighttime warehouse selectors. We stored all inbound freight into warehouse racking using laser scanners for location. We swept and picked up trash over large warehouse areas. The quotas were set at a very high rate which created unsafe working conditions. The management was always concerned with the bottom dollar and disciplinary action whenever someone got injured or something got damaged or inventory was inaccurate. Management always expected quality to maintain at high levels even though they constantly cut manpower and pay! There was not a very good incentive system in place! The bonus system was based on safety but any accident of any kind between the transportation department or warehouse department severely crippled any bonus for each individual employee. The management team did not have people skills and treated employees as a number and much less as a person. They weren't interested in ideas or solutions to problems until the almighty bottom dollar went belly up! This could have been prevented if only more time, care, and money was invested in the employee! It was no surprise to we, the employees, that our center cut its own throat and closed its doors for good in 2014. Companies should be concerned about their bottom dollar but if they really care about it there should always be a strong commitment to the company's first customer and that is its own employees! Otherwise,  more... quality, production, and business go down the drain! Most co-workers were great to work with! The hardest part of the job was putting up with bad managers who were disrespectful to all of us! The most enjoyable part of the job was the relationships developed with employees in all the different departments!  less
Pros
healthcare, 401k, and pension
Cons
poor managers, not enough manpower, punishment for using sick time
Fast Paced and Fun Workplace, which lead to a high turn over rate.
Equipment Technical Operator (Former Employee) –  Lexington, SCMarch 25, 2012
At U.S. Foodservice, service level, safety, speed, and the ability to pay attention to detail was the key. A typical day at work consisted of driving a dual pallet jack down aisles and pulling and stacking groceries all while talking into a headset that gave you the proper amount of quantity needed for each item. You also had labels for every item that was recited via the headset, which helped to verify that the employee was choosing the right item and placing them on the correct pallets. After finishing a batch, you would drive onto the dock area, where you would seperate the pallets, wrap them tightly, then park them near the dock correct dock door to be loaded onto the proper trailer for delivery. You got paid based on your Service Level (Picking Correct Product), Speed (Production based incentives), and overall ability to maintain a certain pace due to the fact of working 6-12 hours shifts Sunday-Thursday. You were able to be yourself while working as long as you were safe, doing your job, and being respectful to your fellow co-workers and members of management. We were allowed to have radios at the dock doors so as you were coming in and out of aisles you were able to hear some of your favorite songs throughout the night, which kept you motivated and energized. It wasn't the easiest job due to the constant picking up and placing of products ranging from 1-100lbs on pallets throughout the night. Not to mention having to walk fast around the pallets while carrying shrink wrap to maintain a tight grip on your groceries as they were to be loaded onto their proper trailer.
Pros
being yourself, ability to listen to music while working, competing against co-workers, family day at the state fair
Cons
short breaks, having to work every sunday, wearing headsets, heavy battery packs wrapped around your waist.
I went in optimistic and came out a pestimistic!! If you family oriented, have a life stay away from this place. Money isn't everything.
Warehouse, picker (Former Employee) –  Plymouth, MnApril 18, 2013
Good starting pay at 18.50 hr. Partimer is expected to work 10.5 hour shifts plus mandatory overtime, sometimes twelve hours plus a night. You are also required to work fours day, sometimes five. Very high turn over rate. Nothing but negative energy when you first start. Employees aren't friendly to you, they feel why get to know you when you might not last long. Management tells you right off the bat, people don't make it one, two, or three days. The longest most last is two weeks. This is a red flag, why tell people that? That's why they can't keep people. They become intimidated right away and quit. Union teamsters local 120, the most corrupt union and local. You can't sign up for direct deposit until after ninety days probation. Another red flag. Weekly pay, good benefits only if you get fulltime. Management and human resource are useless, even the hr lady didn't know, or claimed she didn't know when you can sign up for direct deposit. Come on human resource didn't know this. Very physical work. They fire you if you don't keep up your percentage rate. Cant fall below 85%. Top out pay 25.00 hr for picker, warehouse. If you have a life, family look for something better. Money isn't everything. If you like working your but off, no life, family, and like money then this is for you. My opinion look for something better.
Pros
pay, weekly checks.
Cons
long hours, physical work, bad management, disgruntled employees.
US Foods
Finance Manager (Current Employee) –  Streator, ILJanuary 10, 2014
Every day is a different day. I touch every single aspect of the business. Can spend all day in front of the computer preparing reports, analyzing income and expenses, or spend time on the warehouse floor addressing product issues, or speding time with sales reps out on customer calls. I have had a terrific career with US Foods and appreciate everything my co-workers and supervisors have done for me over my career. I am consistently trying to become better and make my department better. Over the course of my career I have helped automate most reporting and am profecient with Excel. The hardest part of my job is not knowing what big obstacle I will have to tackle next, but I will also say that is extremely enjoyable too as I am not doing the same repetitive tasks every day. To have the interaction with all departments, and help drive better results, and make jobs easier is something I enjoy. One of my favorite sayings is "Work smarter not harder." If you can think it through first, come up with a plan of attack, and are able to reduce time on specific tasks, it just opens more time to work on other tasks not getting completed in a timely manner.
Pros
coworkers, and work environment
GOOD LUCK!!
Driver (Former Employee) –  TexasApril 16, 2012
This place is all messed up.When you work for a place this strenuous, positive work place is key. Not to management, it's cut throat for management bonuses. They will shut you down 30 minutes from home{happened multiple times} and have you get a hotel when your out of hours as long as it's one less problem for them to deal with. Tell you about a referral bonus but then tell you it didn't fall in there guidelines. Ask you to come in between 2 and 4 in the morning, you get there and your truck is being used for shuttles.Give you sick days and personal days but when you go to use them, they're always shorthanded.Only 3 guaranteed holidays a year. Always threatened to be written up/terminated for the littlest things. Very high turnover rate. in 9 months span, estimated they hired at least 30 drivers, at least 20 have left already.some last a day,a week,some a month. But they all got fed up eventually. not a lot of opportunity to make good money at first as you will be doing clean up duties{No set route}.
Pros
great benefits, chance to make pretty good money, 4 day work weeks
Cons
everything else about the job
Professional work environment with professionals who carries about success.
Director of Procurement (Former Employee) –  Ogden, UTApril 26, 2014
work included meeting with a number if vendors and working with corporate to meet the direction provided by national headquarters.

Co workers assisted in replenishment of products and supplies to assist sales in filling customer requests. most part professional carrying buyers with strong ability to succeed.

Management was weak a number of senior staff was replaced and companies VP of sales seem to have an agenda that did not reflect the overall goals for the company. Made it tough to fulfill the request of sales for correct product mix.

Hardest part of the job was ending long term profitable vendor relationships directed by corporate. It was understandable yet no consideration was given to these loyal suppliers.

Success in seeing a new rep become successful due to training we provided and the attention to detail we provided the customer.
Pros
easy company to work for.
Cons
overall few cons management's lack of experience.
District Sales Manager of 6 Territory Managers in Boston territory
District Manager (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAOctober 18, 2012
Daily was on the rode prospecting and penetrating accounts with my team. This position involved a lot of coaching and development of staff members, and quarterly performance reviews. The sales training provided here was excellent and I grew my skills further here on building confidence to ask for the sale and close the deal. We utilized many technologies to monitor our business and use that for decision making to grow the accounts. The management was professional and fair and there were lots of training and development opportunities. The hardest part of the job was managing unhappy customers when their truck came much later than expected and they were not able to have the food they needed for their meal service. The best part of the job was seeing my Territory Managers grow and meet their goals as a result of my coaching-that was very rewarding for me!
Pros
every day was different!
Cons
dealing with very unhappy customers over late trucks
Being able to help other restaurants grow their business.
Territory Manager (Former Employee) –  West Seneca NyOctober 5, 2012
A typical day: Up at the crack of dawn, review my daily goals and hit the street running. Take care of my current customers and their needs, show them new and exiting products and recipes that can help profitize them a bit more. When my customers were all set for the day I would cold call to build my business and create new accounts and contacts. Management: My Management team was very supportive and would assist in any way I needed them to. Co-workers: I was in good standing with all co-workers being on the road most of the day in sales we would mostly only see each other at sales meetings or from time to time we would cross paths at the office. Price fighting with other competitors in the field.Over coming that fight through product knowledge and cuttings of product when the customer saw the value in what I was showing them.
Pros
setting my own paycheck based on how hard and smart i worked, management support.
Cons
price fights with other venders. price of gasoline.
SNEAKY COMPANY
DELIVERY DRIVER (Former Employee) –  DENVER,COAugust 24, 2012
Do not for work for this company they are liars and sneaky im not going to say I'm that innocent but IL tell ya the truth in may 2012 i had a small incident involving property damage and if they would have suspended or fired me within a week i would have chalked it up as a mess up and moved on instead they said nothing they have a review board when somebody has an accident with safety and your peers to discuss it your supposed to be there or on conference call they did it in the middle of my work day and didn't tell me till a week later then they tell you about pay for performance LIE! yea if you can pick your own root what they don't tell you is that if you have pickups or customers not open or ant extra stuff or generally get delayed its bad you make no money so be careful its a joke now back to the accident i went to work in august .....august is said and when i get there the boss who conveniently drove 300 miles was there and handed me my termination papers WITHOUT WARNING
Pros
pays decient
Cons
liars and sneeks
The fun of the freezer
Night Freezer Selector (Former Employee) –  Zebulon, NCJuly 16, 2013
Selecting in the Freezer day usually starts five or five thirty. starts with you putting all your freezer gear to prepare you for one of your most chilliest night. That night is every night when you hop on your pallet jack and prepare for a nights worth of work. You and about nineteen others guys you will need just to help you make it threw the night. Every one has to be on there job to get there assignment they select in a timely fashion as well correct. Fewer mistakes the better and most important safe. You see and learn routes different places shipments go that your going to be selecting or packing the truck or having something to do with. You will come by a task or to that may slow you up like a product not in they slot and your trying to get the job done in the time you usually get it done at. I just little thing that gets in the way from day to day. Beating the time is the best part of my day every day.
Pros
fast learner, understanding
Cons
n/a
Over educated, under qualified.
Driver (Current Employee) –  Wixom, miSeptember 19, 2012
The management doesn't listen to its employees that are seeing the customer on a daily basis. They promote safety and a caring, positive "yes" attitude but the follow through and the way they treat you is with a "no" attitude. Some managers try and others just don't care. They coddle the night warehouse crew by begging them to come in on Sunday's and during major sporting events. They raffle off gaming systems and bribe the crew with a bonus for them to split, just for showing up. They can't seem to get simple things right, like getting the pickers to not put 200 pounds of flour on top of chips. I've been here 3 years and they have promised change. I have yet to see it, other than uniform changes.
But they do bend over backward for customers! They will step over a $100 bill to pick up a penny. I get paid component pay and I do very well for myself. It's a good plan if you work.
Pros
good pay, good benefits
Cons
management, pickers and caring

Comment – December 17, 2012

This will not change, it's been the same for at least 10 years. Management will stab a driver in the back. They don't care about employees!!

It was an every changing environment. The good times far outweighed the bad.
Intermediate Accounts Payable Clerk (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZAugust 14, 2013
I loved the company values and the work. The benefits were pretty good with the exception of the medical. Medical was very expensive. I worked in Accounts Payable reconciling invoices with the receiving reports. Some invoices could be over 500 lines long. There was also a daily quota of invoices that each person was required to meet or exceed. I loved the challenge of making the quota and without any errors. The accounts payable reconciling branch was for those with intermediate accounting skills or higher.

While there I had an opportunity to exclusively work the Pilot fuel program as well as train new employess how to reconcile. This was a remarkable opportunity because I was the newest member in the section
Pros
training, pilot, reconciling, and learning how to use people soft
Cons
rather not say.
hard work paid off, fast work place
Order Selector (Former Employee) –  boca raton , FLOctober 12, 2015
typical day started as getting dressed with freezer wear and pre pair to work in negative degree environment. proceed to grab electric pallet jack, load up RF UNIT and on the way to start first order, location of slot where product was stationed, load on pallet jack requested amount of products for food distribution. based upon how hard i worked the more cases i pulled the more the money, at times was requested to use cheery picker on selected nights if shortage of personal was also requested to use forklift. Had training in all machinery and certifications. Enjoyed the team work, love the physical aspect of the job. loved the cold environment, did not agree with some of the management ways of organization. But was a team player and did my job
Pros
great money, great co workers, love used the equipment
Cons
very long hours, bad managment
New challenges and customer relations.
Territory Manager (Current Employee) –  Corona, CAJuly 16, 2012
US is a very challenging job with many avenues of learning new things each and every day. The support of the customer service team, the procurement department and the IT department is incredible. My challenges are working with the credit department and having to depend on the customer having perfect credit to move forward with the accounts. The collection of 'past due' accounts is the hardest part; to be the 'bad guy' then have to still be the 'good guy to buy from' is the most challenging skill to master. I thoroughly enjoy the interaction with the customers, building relationships that could last a lifetime. The thrill of tackling their challenges and being able to be a part of their operations.
Pros
variety, customer relations, versitility, traveling, completion of challenges.
Cons
collections of 'past due' debts

Comment – November 2, 2012

After being a credit manager for over 25 years in the food industry I would say 100% depend upon the sales reps to aid in the collections of money. You are not the bad guy trying to collect money due to your company. By allowing a customer to fall behind you are only help them dig a hole that maybe they will not be able to dig out of. I have always tried to help my sales force with ideas to overcome the ones like you have when collecting. Maybe a payment plan could help stop the bad debt. Your credit department should help and maybe visit the customer with you to resolve any problems!

Fast pace and high productivity
Warehouse Distribution Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Hurricane, WV.March 23, 2014
The warehouse is typically driven by receiving and shipping in food distribution. There are many aspects of sanitation involved in all areas of warehouse cleanliness. The areas consist of dry,cooler and freezer. There are SOP's and GMP's in place that have guidelines.

The 29 years that I have been there has given me experience in all warehouse distribution knowledge.

The last 14 years of my tenure was spent in management.

The greatest asset to a company's success is their talented people.

When it comes to warehouse distribution success, hard work and experience go hand-in-hand.

The greatest filling is seeing most if not all of everybody's hard work and dedication become a reality at the end of every day.
Pros
the pay and the vacation time was good.
Cons
medical cost and promotions.
Hurts Families and Loyal Employees of over 10 years.
Driver (Former Employee) –  WixomJanuary 28, 2015
This place is corrupt, if you want stability...do not work here. Management is sneaky and will lie to do anything they want with you. They are slimeballs. I personally have a family and don't have time for games and bs so the dedication and hard work I have shown US Foods has meant nothing and oh well I must suck it up and move on for my family. They act like they care about employees and families when in reality they only care about bottom lines and who kisses whose butt. Hopefully Sysco will rid US Wixom of the terrible management when the acquisition is completely done. I have a soul and could never be as spineless as the hr and management I have worked with.
Pros
friends
Cons
lying harassing management, horrible money wasting routing, no real support from hr or union when being harassed.
looking for a fast paced sales growth opportunity with room for advancement
Sexton (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAJanuary 14, 2015
· Expert professional in business development
· Strong planner and executor of business strategies
· Master in developing new market channels
· Excellent salesmanship and ability to close a deal
· In-depth knowledge of the food industry
· Understanding of nutrition and the basic benefits or dangers of specific foods
· Solid verbal and written communication skills
· Available to travel when necessary and work nights or weekends if needed
· Exceptional mathematics skills need to perform calculations and give estimates.
· Ability to manage pricing and monitor credit term compliance.
· Successful working in a team environment as well as independently
· Thorough in all accounting paperwork and recordkeeping
· Committed to exceeding sal
Building a new sales territory.
Territory Manager (Former Employee) –  La Mirada, CANovember 11, 2014
• Manage and develop business relationships between current and prospective foodservice operators
• Represent product offerings to clients that assist in achieving the business goals for their operation
• Responsible for profitable client base. Achieve drop size objectives, minimum gross profit dollars per drop, off day delivery goals and minimize product returns
• Work with clients to overcome food cost issues, develop labor saving systems, food safety training (Serve Safe) and continue to bring service and value to each and every call
• Manage, communicate and collect all accounts receivables within client’s portfolio to achieve 90% current A/R
• Electronically record and transmit customer orders
• Continued education training programs maintained
Company does not value it's employees
Driver (Former Employee) –  North DakotaOctober 5, 2012
There are significant differences between branches; the branch I worked for as a driver pushes for long hours, expects you to spend 2-4 nights a week out of town. Several employees have not received benefits (for no apparent reason) and are told to wait until the enrollment period next year. Middle management is over worked and generally ignored by upper management.

Pay is just slightly higher than average for the industry, the benefits for those that get them are decent, retirement is good if one cares to stay that long.

Coworkers are friendly and helpful. Middle management is tired and frustrated, Upper management thinks they can fix everything with a smile.
Pros
pay is decent, long hours if that's what your looking for.
Cons
long hours, very little time at home.