US Foodservice Employee Reviews in United States

Long hours and minimal life
Order Picker (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZDecember 8, 2014
I worked here for nearly a year. The pay was great but no room for advancement. The hours were very long (14 hours sometimes). Benefits were really good also. Co-workers were friendly but also felt the same as I did. Worked all the time and left minimal time for family or friends.
US Foods was a great company to work with and learn
Buyer (Former Employee) –  Plymouth, mnJuly 17, 2014
I would go in and check inventories according to the computer system. I placed all my orders by 10am. I also checked through all the DQ products, checked shelf life and ordered accordingly
Management and co workers were great there. They were always willing to lend a hand.
The hardest part of the job was traveling to other branches and training buyers on the the US system while maintaining my purchasing duties.
The most enjoyable was training buyers around the country on the US system
Pros
it was a very busy job all the time
Cons
i was expected to return all emails and voicemails same day. i received an average of 650 per week
Productive and fun all at the same time.
Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Fort Wayne, INJuly 25, 2014
I learned so much about the foodservice industry from working for this company. I was able to expand my customer service skills to better my service to my customer. The management and co-worker were really great to work with. There was a lot of team work there. I loved meeting new people and all of my account people.
Pros
different activities for learning and fun.
Cons
short breaks
Productive and great team collaboration.
Maintenance Mechanic (Former Employee) –  La Mirada, CAAugust 21, 2014
Repair and do preventive maintenance on forklifts (Crown standup, double jacks, single jacks, cherry pickers, and walking jacks), and drive forklifts throughout warehouse. Perform building maintenance, paint offices, repair dock doors and do all other maintenance required
Pros
constant work, good team members, and good pay.
Fun place to work!
Purchasing Assistant & Inside Sales (Former Employee) –  Clearwater, FLMay 5, 2014
I first learned how to be a purchasing assistant here. I enjoyed all that it took to make sure pricing, accuracy and deadlines were met. I enjoyed completing the whole cycle of assisting the buyers. Prior to being transferred to this position I enjoyed my inside sales position in forming and maintaining customer relationships. We had great work parties. Management was very fair.
Pros
great co-workers, team players, benefits and fun atmosphere.
Cons
there really weren't any.
I loved my job here; I learned many new skills
Order Selector/Loader (Former Employee) –  Salem, VAJuly 9, 2014
I loved working here because there were many rewards to meeting productivity goals. I learned many new skills and was challenged to always do better. The down side is the odd hours - 6pm to whenever - 2, 3, 4 in the morning. couldn't see my kids except for an hour in the afternoon after school.
Pros
money was good
Cons
poor work/life/family balance
very good company to work for.
Inventory Controller - Daily Cycle Counts (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKFebruary 10, 2014
come in at 4:30 a.m. turn on my computer to get started for my day of receiving n printing invoices n labels for warehouse employees, check in n out OTR drivers as they show up, schedule appts on retalix, collect lumper fees n call in on com data checks for approvals of pay from OTR drivers. answer phone calls n call dispatchers when drivers do not show for their appts. help with counting inventory when needed.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
lack of communication between managements n employees
Food service industry is difficult at best due to todays economical environment..
Inventory Control Manager/Supervisor (Former Employee) –  La Mirada, CAFebruary 3, 2014
Love working at UF Foods. Due to the economic downturn over the last three years it was very difficult to meet operational goals. US Foods L.A. was one of the best preforming divisions on a national level but the over all performance of the company has been down over the last couple of years. Resulting in the planned sale to Sysco Foods later this year.
Pros
great people, great benefits, managers were inpowered to make decisions.
Cons
uncertain future of the company.
Work your butt off for little money
Territory Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Bensenville, ILJanuary 16, 2014
The old VP of sales was not bad but the new one that they have now is terrible and could care less about the TM just produce your numbers period. Don't ask for help or support because you won't get it, if you don't figure it out on your own you will sink here fast. As far as family life "forget it" you won't have any.
Pros
its awful hard to find anything on the posititive for this company
Cons
work extremely hard and get paid nothing.
Great Company to work with.
Manager of Equipment and Smallwares (Former Employee) –  Fort Mill, SCJuly 12, 2013
Took calls from Outside Sales People and Customers to quote Equipment and take orders. Processed and Billed all non stocked equipment and smallwares. Also took care of walk-in Customers.
The hardest part of this job was getting 75 to 150 Food Sales People to sell equipment. However these were a great bunch of people and willing to learn. I enjoyed travling with the salesmen and helping them with a sale of equipment or furniture.

Want to know more about US Foodservice?

Ask a question
Worst Career Mistake of my Life
Category Manager (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXJuly 7, 2013
I would highly advise any applicant to steer clear of this company especially when applying for a management position in the field. Forget about work/life balance. There is none. Be prepared to travel 70% of the time and work 7 days a week. There Is no training at the Billion dollar company. They look at you strange when you want to get trained on something you never worked on before. You also MUST have Foodservice experience (they won't tell u that ).
Pros
salary, benefits
Cons
management, travel schedule, work/life balance
I enjoyed the first year there, but after a major acquisition, I was forced into a union which was not a pleasant or productive environment.
Driver (Former Employee) –  Englewood, COMay 28, 2013
My duties at U.S. Foodservice included delivering food product to various customers, while operating equipment in a safe, professional manner, and ensuring a productive relationship between the company and the customers on my route. Additionally, I assisted the transportation manager with administrative duties for approximately nine months.
Pros
fun family type atmosphere
Cons
i don't like working in a union shop.
not good for driver you'r a number for them
DELIVERY DRIVER (Former Employee) –  NY,NJNovember 30, 2012
Pfg ,sysco ,us food ,dicarlo food sevices, they are the bad company in food delivery ,,,,you are a animal for them,,, be prepared to unload 800 to 1200 cases each day....They will fire you for nothign,,,, they aways looking for driver ,,,driver quit an get fire ,,,,,I you'r a driver stay away from this companys ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,pfg ,sysco,us food, dicarlos,maximos food,pepsi,jb hunt, an much more companys every week hire driver.....
Pros
16 hr /work day
Cons
dont work for this company if you'r crazzy ok
Awesome Place
Order Picker (Former Employee) –  Perth Amboy, NJAugust 1, 2012
My experience with US Foods Pompano Beach, FL was very good. I learned a lot of the warehouse production aspect of the business with them. The way our supervisor treated us motivated us to want to come to work everyday becoming more reliable employees and to work as a team. Awesome experience. Can't say the same for when I got transferred to US Foods Perth Amboy NJ.
Pros
benefits, pay, holiday pay, etc
Cons
the only con i have is that i feel i wasn't given a fair opportunity at the perth amboy, nj facility when i was transferred there.
Great job
Driver Checkin (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLJune 8, 2012
Really enjoyed my job. Different personalities you get to talk to everyday. I was usually the only one in the office. I could sit and read a book, or when the drivers came in I completed paperwork or checked trucks in. Only time it was bad if there was an accident. Then you had to deal with more paperwork , worrying about drivers.they made the job more enjoyable, get to know them like your family. Had a lot of nice people to work with.Job was very easy.learned a lot on computers. My boss was O K most of the time.
Pros
had a lot of free lunches, drivers always brought food in from different restaurants
Cons
four o'clock meetings.
Enjoyed learning all about sales and marketing.
Territory Manager (Former Employee) –  Natchez, MSOctober 2, 2012
Called on over 50 customers each week to place food orders and help them increase profit by adding new items to menu. Worked closely with manager and co-workers daily. This was my first sales job and I learned so much on how to sell by adding value to the products for the customer by increasing their bottom line profit. The hardest part of this job was making sure the customer saw me as someone who was going to help them make money and not buy from me on price alone. This is what also made me a successful sales representative for over four years by constantly building relationships and implementing new ideas.
Pros
great incentive programs
Cons
having to work every sunday
You do not want to work for this company.
Terminal/Driver Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Nashville TNApril 17, 2012
I worked for the Nashville TN branch as the terminal supervisor. I was managed by people based in Alcoa TN (Knoxville). They wanted to use me as a strike buster in areas outside Tennessee where they had union drivers. I was told to be ready on 12 hours notice and jet off to who knows where to deliver groceries during a strike for an idefinite amount of time. The clown that was the VP of Ops in Alcoa was arrogant and cocky. He couldn't keep people under him. Since I left there in 2010 I have seen numerous ads to fill that position. As far as I can tell the whole company works this way.
Cons
working for self centered arrogant egotists
Financial Independance
Distict Manager(Asst) (Former Employee) –  Garland, TXApril 13, 2012
work day around 10-12 Hours

I learned the value of sharing the same core values as your customer base

Management was somewhat unstable- quite of bit of turnover

Co-workers were mostly energetic and helpful

Hardest part of job was having to rely so much on internal employees to accomplish customer satisfaction

The most enjoyable part of the job was the competiveness amongst peers
Pros
trips and bonuses
Cons
ever changing inside help-turnover
productive but very stressful place ot work
Contract Management/Finance dept. (Former Employee) –  Salem, MOJanuary 9, 2013
would have to investigate and resolve any and all pricing errors. The process to do this was very intense wtih several steps to perform and on an older computer system which made it extremely stressful. During this time I learned how to use excel, which I ejoyed very much. Management and co-workers were very good to work with. The hardest part of the job was to find the pricing error. The most injoyable part of the job was making the excel spreadsheet to calculate the rebates. It was always a concern that the company would be sold and your job would be in jepordy.
Pros
working with excel
Cons
did not feel you had job security.
over worked and under paid
driver (Current Employee) –  new englandOctober 5, 2012
the first couple years i made decent money. then they started working us to death, injuries through the roof. I worked 55 hours my first 2 years the past 3 i have worked 67-72 (yes over HOS) and have taken a 40% pay DECREASE. the management is awful. and they will cheat you if you dont go through your cheque with a fine tooth comb. they abuse their help and practice unsafe procedures just to nickle and dime the bottom line.
Pros
nothing
Cons
no lunch breaks, routed 14 hours