US General Services Administration Employee Reviews in United States

Great deal of independence, great benefits, mediocre pay
Auditor (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAFebruary 7, 2016
Management team is excellent, provides mentorship, and fosters the independence of their reports.
Work-life balance was great. The work week rarely exceeded 40 hours.
Pay is considerably less than the private sector once you've been there awhile (see GS pay schedule). You trade pay for excellent job security and good benefits.
High Quality Federal Agency
Associate Administrator (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCFebruary 15, 2016
The GSA is an excellent federal agency to work for and has first class leadership. The agency is very friendly to small businesses which aids in the achievement of our small business goals. As part of the senior executive service level, I am part of management which is responsible for executing the mission and policies of the agency. I learned while working at the GSA that it is hard to change the culture of a large agency. It is a significant challenge but it is very worthwhile and very fulfilling. I had much success at GSA and I look forward to my next challenge!
Pros
Teleworking promoted a strong work life balance
Cons
Culture of enabling disengaged employees is a federal government hurdle
awesome
Budget Analyst and Purchasing Agent (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOApril 6, 2016
Very Best of the Best of government agencies. If you can get on there please enjoy it! Good benefits, salaries and overall good people!
Great work/life balance
Building Management Specialist (Current Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 3, 2015
Work with building occupants, tenants, building contractors and personnel to ensure a smooth building operation on a day-to-day basis.

Daily meetings to plan quarterly and yearly budgets, projects, upgrades, and to follow up with current projects or issues.

Great workforce.

Most enjoyable part of the job is the work/life balance. GSA is very flexible; it allows alternative work schedules, telework opportunities, and flexible work hours.

The hardest part of the job is dealing with bureaucracy.
Pros
Flexible work schedule, job security.
Cons
Does not pay as much as private industry.
Good place to start
Project Engineer (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJanuary 13, 2016
Overall a good place to work, especially if you have a family. The work life balance is fantastic. The primary criticism that I have is that there is little chance to advance your career, and they lose a lot of good employees who are seeking more upward mobility
Top Employer
Contract Specialist (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMarch 29, 2016
General Services Administrative is a top employer that provides a wealth of opportunities for advancement. The management, no matter what level has an open door policy which is great for employees.
like any other federal agency
intern (Current Employee) –  san franciscoMay 13, 2015
At GSA, management can make or break you. Advancement can be dependent on who you know, not what you know and your senority. Great job security and benefits and offers alternative work schedule and telework opportunities for most positions.
Productive and Professional
Secretary (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCMarch 7, 2016
The job culture of US General Services Administration is productive and the working environment is also pleasant and professional. There is diversity in the workplace which foster a working experience with working and understanding diverse cultures as well.
Increased Experience
Construction Project and Procurement Manager (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GANovember 11, 2015
During my tenure at the Sam Nunn Building, I gained invaluable experience, in the area of dealing with MOLD Remediation.

Due to an accident, dealing with a water break, leading to the need to determine the contamination. Working with certified Mold experts, it was determined that the walls of approximately 10 floors were affected. It was necessary for me to relocate 5 agencies and the Child Care Center to temporary premises.

I was also required to provide written documentation of the Mold for submission to Congress to appropriate the necessary funds to for the relocations and work necessary to rebuild some of the floors entirely.

Aside from the Mold Remediation, I was trained as one of the first female construction representatives, and was responsible for the renovation and/or build out of approximately 1.3 million square feet of rental space and the accompanying garage.
Pros
Increased experience and training as a Planner Estimator and Construction Representative
Cons
Expiration of Regional Contract
Exciting and challenging workplace
Procurement and Budget Specialist Contractor (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJanuary 9, 2016
GSA was an exciting and challenging place to work. My colleagues were very bright, easy to get along with and encouraged team work in all facets.

I learned a lot about the IT world, finance, budget, and procurement of government contracts.

I liked working in the District of Columbia as it was in a city environment which lent to creativity.

Want to know more about US General Services Administration?

Ask a question
Productive and Exciting Place to Work
Clerk-Typist (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJanuary 28, 2016
During my tenure at GSA it was a short one but pleasant.

I performed clerical duties as a Clerk-Typist and worked with an exceptionally wonderful team of people.

Maintained supervisor's calendar, prepared travel, typed as needed.
Pros
Great supervisor and team of people
Excellent work/life balance & job security
Rocky Mountain Regional Public Affairs Officer (Current Employee) –  Denver, COMarch 3, 2014
If you are a go getter that can take the ball and run with it, this is a great place to grow and learn. This federal agency covers a lot of ground so there's never a lack of being able to learn new products, services, or programs. Networking, negotiating skills and being politically astute are key in navigating these waters. You may be surprised to meet a talented group of hard-working government workers who really know their stuff. GSA is family friendly and supportive when life throws you a curve ball.
Pros
flexibility, pay, variety, international, benefits, job security
Cons
leadership, management, strategy
Politics and Favoritism
IT PROJECT MANAGEMENT (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCMay 7, 2014
WOrked there six years and was very frustrated when left. Worst agency in the federal government that I worked for; worked for Department of Defense, Transportation, Social Security Adminstration and the Department of Treasury and this was the worst agency because the managers just wanted to help people they liked instead of being fair; politics at its worst! Sat in the same department and branch for six years, even after they asked where I wanted to go and what I wanted to do they would not move me so I eventually had to leave. The benefits are awesome as a federal worker; and you might even get some telework days but eventually the agency was also letting people they like work at home almost everyday and if they did not like you, you were put in the basement with one or no telework days. Very bias leadership!
Pros
great benefits, hours are flexible, pay is competitive
Cons
poor leadership
Accounting Department - Run very well
OPAC Accounting Technician (Federal) (Former Employee) –  Downtown in the Federal BuildingNovember 16, 2012
A typical day was coming in and doing routine work every day.

Cost Transfers

Management was good

Most of the Federal employees were very harsh towards the contract employees and made very rude comments.

Having our meetings with receivables and payable s and hearing the harsh comments that were read aloud about the contractor employees.

The most enjoyable part of the job, when you received cash awards for a job well done from managers and fellow employees.
Pros
good pay, and excellent benefits
Cons
being hired as a term employee and having to leave at the end of the term.
Really nice company
Executive Assistant (Former Employee) –  Landover, MDOctober 22, 2015
I really enjoyed working with this company. Management was very fair to work for. My co-workers was team players and helpful.
Management IT Services
Specialist Management Issues (Current Employee) –  San Juan Puerto RicoOctober 23, 2015
To assume a position in which it can contribute to the development of a company and my personal growth using the experience and knowledge gained during my education.
Stable, but limited upside
Facilities Manager (Current Employee) –  Washington DCSeptember 12, 2013
Working for the Government is a blessing for many, but it's not for everybody. As a person who is serious about my career, I've come to a point in my life where I need to move on from the Government. But overall the experience has been good. I would take GSA over a lot of agencies. I was fortunate in that I had an amazing boss. Otherwise I would have left a long time ago.
Pros
flexible schedules, decent compensation
Cons
bureaucracy, slow promotion potential, very political, real workers not necessary rewarded
Unbelievable work life balance and benefits with open office culture
Management and Program Analyst (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCOctober 4, 2014
GSA represents one of the best government agencies in the nation. GSA offers excellent training for associates and features a culture and work life balance that is second to none. In a typical day, I engage with multiple parties from several business lines internally and a number of stakeholders externally. The main task is to develop technical solutions to improve business processes, administer contracts and handle acquisitions in a regulatory conscious manner, and assist the mission of building and managing sustainable and smart buildings. I have learned not only to be customer service oriented with strong interpersonal skills, I also learned relevant industry standard technical and operational skills that can translate to any business environment. The hardest part of the job is catering to ever changing customer needs sometimes at a moments notice. The most rewarding part of the job is the chance to work with great people.
Pros
work life balance, culture
Cons
management, advancement
Tools for more efficient Federal Employee Productivity
Web Content Specialist (GS-12) (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CANovember 6, 2015
The web document services department is staffed w/ sharp and engaging professionals, who are very conscientious about Federal productivity and budgetary efficiency.
Standard issue Government work
Financial Analyst (Current Employee) –  New York, nyNovember 1, 2013
Worked to ensure timely and accurate billing for federally owned and leased properties throughout the Northeast and Caribbean. This position has increased my analytical skills from having to thoroughly check lease documents to validate rent rates. Managed a small team of three people who successfully managed to exceed program goals by over 7%.
Pros
challenging & enganging work
Cons
raises are far and few inbetween