US General Services Administration Employee Reviews in United States

Politics and Favoritism
IT PROJECT MANAGEMENT (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCMay 7, 2014
WOrked there six years and was very frustrated when left. Worst agency in the federal government that I worked for; worked for Department of Defense, Transportation, Social Security Adminstration and the Department of Treasury and this was the worst agency because the managers just wanted to help people they liked instead of being fair; politics at its worst! Sat in the same department and branch for six years, even after they asked where I wanted to go and what I wanted to do they would not move me so I eventually had to leave. The benefits are awesome as a federal worker; and you might even get some telework days but eventually the agency was also letting people they like work at home almost everyday and if they did not like you, you were put in the basement with one or no telework days. Very bias leadership!
Pros
great benefits, hours are flexible, pay is competitive
Cons
poor leadership
Productive work environment
Network Engineer (Current Employee) –  washington DCAugust 24, 2015
Maintaining, repairing and upgrading network equipment.
I spend a lot of time going over log files,determining where we can improve service if it's network related. I spend a lot of time evaluating requested changes and reconciling those requests with our security Productive fun workplace.
Fun company, great coworkers
Clerical Assistant (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAApril 15, 2015
I had such a great learning experience working with GSA. My supervisor worked hard to make sure we had a balanced work and personal life. My coworkers worked hard to support each other to meet deadlines. The most enjoyable part of the job was being able to experience so many different types of work, from project management, to office administration, to inventory, and even out in the field!
GSA is one of the top ten federal govt workplaces.
Program Analyst (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAAugust 23, 2015
A typical day is intake of all federal agency requests for space. I use Google docs to record the information, process and send to the appropriate branch for processing.
Pros
GSA has a gym, offers us football tickets.
Cons
No Cons
Great work environment
Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXApril 5, 2015
Awesome training program and job advancement opportunities. Plus, telework option makes it a great place to work.

We are giving projects and assigned mentors to help us with our projects. Plus, ongoing training helps tremendously to work on different types of leasing projects.
Pros
Telework
Accounting Department - Run very well
OPAC Accounting Technician (Federal) (Former Employee) –  Downtown in the Federal BuildingNovember 16, 2012
A typical day was coming in and doing routine work every day.

Cost Transfers

Management was good

Most of the Federal employees were very harsh towards the contract employees and made very rude comments.

Having our meetings with receivables and payable s and hearing the harsh comments that were read aloud about the contractor employees.

The most enjoyable part of the job, when you received cash awards for a job well done from managers and fellow employees.
Pros
good pay, and excellent benefits
Cons
being hired as a term employee and having to leave at the end of the term.
Secure and comfortable
Transportation Operations Specialist (Former Employee) –  Smyrna, GAJanuary 22, 2015
The work was not very challenging. The bureacracy of getting the job done made it more difficult. There was very little potential for growth given because of the "lifers" that refused to retire. Pay was average for a mid-level professional.
Pros
job security
Cons
lack of advancement opportunity, i found it to be difficult to change career paths despite education credentials.
Stable, but limited upside
Facilities Manager (Current Employee) –  Washington DCSeptember 12, 2013
Working for the Government is a blessing for many, but it's not for everybody. As a person who is serious about my career, I've come to a point in my life where I need to move on from the Government. But overall the experience has been good. I would take GSA over a lot of agencies. I was fortunate in that I had an amazing boss. Otherwise I would have left a long time ago.
Pros
flexible schedules, decent compensation
Cons
bureaucracy, slow promotion potential, very political, real workers not necessary rewarded
I enjoyed I enjoyed making a difference in the lives of the personnel in the work place from the health and safety standpoint.
Industrial Hygienist - retired 2012 (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 15, 2015
A typical day could vary greatly. I enjoyed immensely trouble shooting employee concerns regarding their environmental health concerns. To do this, I traveled a six state region performing various environmental testing, consulting and employee safety and health training.

The most difficult problem in the job was the extensive travel. I much preferred one on one assignment on a continuous basis.
Pros
Sense of accomplishment
Cons
Road travel
Standard issue Government work
Financial Analyst (Current Employee) –  New York, nyNovember 1, 2013
Worked to ensure timely and accurate billing for federally owned and leased properties throughout the Northeast and Caribbean. This position has increased my analytical skills from having to thoroughly check lease documents to validate rent rates. Managed a small team of three people who successfully managed to exceed program goals by over 7%.
Pros
challenging & enganging work
Cons
raises are far and few inbetween
Good Telework
Budget Analyst (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCApril 24, 2014
Work can be boring, co-workers are nice, and mostly management has no idea what is going on.
Pros
great benefits, telework policy
Cons
no training or promotions
work/life balance good
GS-13 Project Manager / Engineer (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 27, 2014
High level of office politics and "boy's" and "girl's" silos type of work environment for advancement.
Encouraging Work Atmosphere
Space Specialist (Current Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXDecember 31, 2012
Typical Day: Reviewing documents and processing tenant inquiries.
What I've learned: Work hard and your success will be your reward.
Management: Very encouraging
Co-Workers: Helpful when challenges arise
Hardest Part: There is no hard part just minor challenges
Enjoyable: Being able to work with very helpful people.
Pros
teamwork
Excellent
Realty Specialist (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 29, 2014
Each day is enjoyable. The management and career advancement is pretty good, for some people.
Program Analyst
Online IT Instructor (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZNovember 26, 2014
I am responsible for the intake of the space requests from all federal agencies. I am the administrator for our space inventory for the southeast sunbelt region. I help the agencies refine their requirements to obtain the best space available. My co-workers are involved in data management for the leases. There are no hard parts of the job and I enjoy keeping track of the data.
Pros
i work a 10/4 felx schedule
Cons
no cons
Good, progressive work environment
Internal Business Consultant (Current Employee) –  Lakewood, COJuly 9, 2014
Great work life balance. Many good business challenges, but also subject to disruption and unnecessary change based on national politics.
Great Stay-In-School Program
Clerk/Typist (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CASeptember 24, 2012
This was basically my first job in an office. Therefore, I virtually learned much of what I know about administrative and clerical duties here. Great management team. They were very supportive.
Pros
super management and co-workers and a learning environment.
Cons
no benefits.
World Of Experience
Property Manager (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GaMay 7, 2014
I supervised and monitored the activities for over 1200 inmates and detainees while restricted. I coordinated and monitored inmate movements, conducted counts, and provided emergency response when needed. I prepared reports and maintained daily logs as required. I ensured prompt and appropriate assistance to inmates in the event of injury, illness, and trauma. I served as a member of special teams delegated to respond to emergencies as required. I completed training courses as required by facility training standards and performed correctional duties for any shift as defined by management
My Opinion
Program Analyst/Specialist, GS (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAAugust 3, 2013
I've worked in the Federal Government for 26 years and have to say GSA has been quite disappointing for me after having the opportunity to work for some really great agencies. The best Federal agencies for which I've had the privilege to work was OPM and Department of the Army. GSA is top heavy in my opinion and communication doesn't flow down to the employees. Training and Development is another area that could use some work. Although I am the training officer for the Region, the funding is an issue.

I spend 3 tours overseas in Germany working for Department of Army and Defense Intelligence Agency and if given the opportunity, I highly recommend taking the chance and applying for an overseas tour. You will not regret it and the pay is wonderful. The culture is great and the people are great too. There is much to be learned from the culture and lifestyle by living overseas for a few years. It is absolutely amazing!!
Pros
free public transportation to/from work
Great leadership and promotion opportunity
Supervisory Contract Specialist (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCDecember 17, 2014
Great leadership and promotion opportunity and teleworking. Great place to work
Pros
great leadership and promotion opportunity and teleworking