UAB HOSPITAL

UAB HOSPITAL Employer Reviews

Advanced knowledge in healthcare, always opportunities to learn.
Provider (Current Employee), Birmingham, ALMarch 13, 2014
In the ER, I never know what each day will bring. I see patients with chest pain, abdominal pain and orthopedic problems. I enjoy the variety and challenges my job provides. I learn new things everyday. I love what I do. There is almost nothing more gratifying than to make a difference.

When ask about the hardest part of my day? It would be that some – more... of the managers in the department are relatively new and poorly prepared to fill their challenging roles. A department is only as good as its leadership. – less
Great Job
Patient Observer (Current Employee), Birmingham, ALMarch 11, 2014
Lots of patient experience and exposure to the medical field. The hours were flexible enough for school, and for the work, the pay was amazing
Working a decent
Admissions Coordinator (Current Employee), birmingham, alJanuary 28, 2014
I enjoy working and I'm greatful for employment
Busy in the ER
peacefull and caring
Pharmacy Technician (Former Employee), Birmingham, ALJanuary 18, 2014
I received most of my pharmacy training from UAB The work load was steady changing. Accuracy was my main goal.
Enjoyable Work environment
Registered Nurse (Current Employee), Birmingham, ALDecember 26, 2013
This is a wonderful place to work. The team work is incredible
Great place to work, awesome coworkers
Patient Care Technician (Current Employee), Birmingham, ALNovember 17, 2013
Pros: great staff to work with
Cons: night shift hours
I would typically come in and see what needs to be accomplished with my 14 patients and get started on anything from blood sugar checking to baths. I learned patience with my patients and myself.
Management was very productive and friendly. All of my coworkers were very hard working and friendly. The hardest part of the job was the hours (night shift) – more... and combative patients. The most enjoyable part of my job was helping people that can't help themselves. – less
GREAT PLACE TO WORK
Radiology Technologist (Current Employee), Birmingham, ALOctober 21, 2013
Pros: everything
Cons: everything
GREAT PLACE TO WORK. EVERYONE IS VERY KIND AND UNDERSTANDING AND NO MATTER WHAT PATIENT CARE COMES FIRST!!!!
Fast paced work environment
Unit Secretary (Former Employee), Birmingham ALSeptember 17, 2013
Pros: great retirement benefits
Cons: healthcare plans are expensive for employees
UAB hospital is an experience in itself,love the company. The benefits are great.The company is also very diverse and the people there are like family.
KIRKLIN CLINIC LAB WORK YOU LIKE A SLAVE HOLD BREAKS, HOLD LUNCH UP TO A HOUR, FAVORTISM AMONG CERTAIN EMPLOYEES AND SUPERVISORS, RACIST
Medical Laboratory Assistant(PHLEBOTOMIST) (Current Employee), Birmingham, ALAugust 30, 2013
Pros: benefits on the first day
Cons: management needs to realize the employees are people and not machines.....
A typical day: clock in papers are around the desk stick, stick and stick. no room for advancement when its time for lunch they will hold your break and its nothing you can do if you speak up for yourself then you will be known as a trouble maker

What you learned: No matter how good you are its never good enough.

Management: Is poor, lazy does not – more... care anything about the employees, management is selfish and needs to be retrained on how to treat people. Its sad that you are getting paid to be a supervisor and they can't even draw blood and the Lab Manager at Kirklin Clinic Outpatient Lab does not know how to draw blood the just know how to call you in the office and make your day more stressful.

The hardest part of the job: MANAGEMENT

THE MOST ENJOYABLE: Some of the employees were so nice I feel sorry for them because they are stuck there. – less
great!!!
Cashier (Former Employee), Birmingham, ALAugust 12, 2013
very good place to move up and advance in the company. The people are Awesome
a good place to learn a skill
cancer registrar (Former Employee), Birmingham, ALAugust 7, 2013
Pros: learning new skills
Cons: the pay scale and insurance were not competitive
- trained in all functions as a registrar. I learned case finding, follow-up, abstracting, creating reports for physician studies via the MRS system. I was required to attend weekly Tumor Board meetings for UAB Hospital, Veterans Hospital, and The Children’s Hospital, also attend monthly Cancer Committee Board meetings. I was required to rotate with – more... other registrars as secretary for these meetings taking and typing the minutes. – less
Fun place to work with excellent team
Business Objects Developer/Analyst (Current Employee), Birmingham, ALJuly 15, 2013
Every day is a new day in UAB. Apart from having an excellent team meeting Doctors(users) every day from different departments and gathering the requirment have been a great experience.
UAB is a very exciting and also a place to succeed in many other job opportunities.
Medical Records Clerk (Former Employee), Birmingham, ALJuly 1, 2013
Pros: reduced parking lot and discounts on lunches
Cons: retirement system changed and no nicotine during pre-employment
I have had several opportunities at UAB Hospital and was well pleased.
Productive Workplace
Environmental Specialist (Current Employee), Birmingham, ALJune 21, 2013
Pros: incentives
Cons: temporary wokers get no benifits or incentives.
You get to meet and greet many people. My co-workers and I work as team. management works with you in many ways whether its work related or personal. The hardest part of my job is someone losing their fighting battle. Most enjoyable part of my job is meeting new people.
horrible place of business
Food Service Worker (Current Employee), Birmingham, ALMay 29, 2013
by far THE WORST job ive had! wouldn't recommend anyone to work for the food services department
Good place to further education and advance within the hospital
Registered Nurse (Current Employee), Birmingham, ALMay 27, 2013
UAB hospital does offer some nice perks; paid vacation, sick time, paid time off, and educational reimbursement. A typical 12 hour nursing job can be very busy, especially since UAB is a teaching hospital. The hardest part of the job is the patient population. UAB gets the some of the most critically sick patients. The most enjoyable part of the job – more... is the hospital's environment. – less
Overall
Patient Care Technician (Current Employee), Birmingham, ALApril 19, 2013
I have worked in one department for 15yrs and I have had the best nurse manager ever. She is tough but she is fair. My co-worker have become my second family. I love meeting people from different parts of the globe and learning about their culture. It is one of the best aspects of my job.
Good started job if interested in healthcare. Great place to work.
Patient Care Technician (Current Employee), Birmingham, ALApril 12, 2013
Pretty good place to work if you don't mind the long shifts. The managment is great and most of the employees are good to work with.
Professional workplace with adequate benefits
Computer Technician (Current Employee), Birmingham, ALMarch 5, 2013
I worked whatever tickets were assigned to me and then tried to trace down any malware that was on machines and issue tickets to get those fixed.

I learned how to navigate the RSA console and administer and distribute tokens. I also learned about IronKeys in a similar manner.

Management was unfortunately very hands off. While I did work with my direct – more... supervisor, I had little contact with anyone above him.

Co workers were in general very professional and friendly. – less
UAB Hospital was a nice place to work.
Unit Secretary (Former Employee), Birmingham, ALJanuary 13, 2013
Pros: the exposure to learning new things.
Cons: low pay.
The work environment was pleasant on my unit. Management and co-workers worked together very well. The hardest part of my job was when a patient would expire. The most enjoyable part of my joy was the continuing education classes, we were always learning new things.

1 2 3

About UAB HOSPITAL

Originally an extension center of the University of Alabama system, the University of Alabama at Birmingham (UAB) was established – Read more