UAB Hospital Employee Reviews in United States

awful ued management
Admission Coordinator (Current Employee) –  birmingham alAugust 17, 2015
It's alright working down here , but it's hard for advancement and they are all about a dollar. I enjoy what I do in patient access just need a raise to take care of home and we haven't got a raise like in two years
Pros
good health benifits
Cons
have to take a lunch break at your own risk and not enough employees
The More You Know
housekeeping (Current Employee) –  AlabamaDecember 14, 2015
In a nutshell, you clean rooms and the outer areas. You engage with the patients and staff. I've learned that housekeeping is the frontline for preventing disease. As far as management, it's up and down. For example, you may be a relief person for someone that's out. Your team leader and supervisor will place you on one floor but then decide to move you to another unit. So, if you don't mind the indecisiveness,then you may like this job. The coworkers, for the most part, are great. The hardest part of the job is just doing the job in a timely fashion and digesting criticism. For instance, a unit manager or secretary my contact your manager, if you don't pull the trash fast enough or you left a piece of tape on the rails. If you don't mind that kind of quality assurance, then this may be the job for you. Oh, the most enjoyable part of the job is the hours. I am in at 7 AM and off before 5PM. Awesome, right? Housekeeping is pretty straight forward: sweep, mop, and repeat.
Pros
Shift
Cons
managerial mishaps
A very good place to work like playing a card game.
PCT/ Unit Secretary (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, ALJanuary 22, 2016
A typical day at work can be very good and then the floor get full and it becomes very stressful, but I can handle it because I just use time management. Then I get to learn something new . Some of my co-workers really show team work. The hardest part of my job is that I wish the management would be on the floor more often. The most enjoyable part of my job is the patients talking to them and learning about their life.
Pros
cross training
Cons
short breaks
How the advancement and education advancement is demontrated in this company
Licensed Practical Nurse/Surgical Technician (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALJanuary 27, 2016
My typical day was to assist surgeons and nursing staff while teaching others about the operating room and sterile procedures. Coworkers were nurses and doctors and on occasion orientating staff. The hardest part of the job was making sure the knowledge I received was communicated to my orientating staff. My most enjoyable part of this job was continuously learning more procedures and helping clients receive care in the operating room and return to their families.
Pros
Pros was the increased knowledge from services rendered
Cons
Short breaks was one of the cons
I liked my job.
Patient Transporter (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALFebruary 9, 2016
A typical work day, I walked at least miles. I learned what the job required of me. Management could have been more compassionate, patient, and more caring about our needs. The hardest part of the job wasn't having to take someone's loved ones to the morgue and not enough breaks. The most enjoyable part was my co-workers and taking patients to go home.
Pros
No pros
Cons
Not enough breaks for the job we had to do.
It's a good and diverse place to work
Patient Care Technician (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, ALJune 10, 2015
A typical day at work very hard on night shift. Dayshift is pretty good lots of help. The night shift is very short of help. Sometimes you are one pct on the floor. It's a good job although the pay could be more because of the workload. The proportion nurse to pct , I would like to see change.
Pros
excellent medical benefits, educational, discount on food
Cons
pay could rise, more help
Temp over a year
Office Assistant (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, ALJune 15, 2016
My job have me doing so much this my second summer working I have two kids and since I been working here I lost their insurance and mines (making too much). I have been promised a permanent position since last year and all I get from manager is UAB not hiring at this time but, yet I see jobs online everyday.
great place to work. Advancement opperturnities
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  birmingham, ALMarch 24, 2015
Working at UAB is an exciting and always changing experience. There is always opportunity to learn new things and advance your career. The staff at UAB is centered around excellent patient care. UAB has developed a culture that cares for patients and staff.
Pros
Advancement oppertunity/ tuition benefits
Cons
challenging work envirornment
great benifits
PCT (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, ALApril 18, 2016
*typical day at work is busy.
*i learned CPI and how to take blood.
*management is great,
*co-workers are hard workers and focused on the safety of the patient.
*dealing with mental illness.
*helping people.
Pros
work three 12 1/2 hour shifts then off 4 days
Cons
not enough hours
I love where I work.
Medical Transcriptionist (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, ALMay 4, 2016
It has great benefits and great people to work with. I have various nationalities to work with and love meeting new people here. It can get demanding but overall it is great.
Pros
job security
Cons
parking
Likeable
System Analyst - Enterprize (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALApril 6, 2016
This was a hard place to work at because of the people you work with are all over the place. Users were hard to contact and did not answer emails.
Pros
Cons
Takes to long to get to and from work.
Good Hospital
RN (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALApril 29, 2016
I enjoyed working here. It allowed me the ability to go back to school with full paid tuition. It allowed me to care for patients no other hospital in my area cares for.
n/a
Enters Physician (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, ALJune 26, 2016
I have nothing to say. This is my current job, so I will not express my thoughts and feelings. Just glad to be in the working force and have a job.
Respiratory therapist
Respiratory Therapist CRT (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, ALFebruary 15, 2016
Introducing myself to patients, administering neb tx, and also airway clearance such as cpt and chest vest.I also manage the ventilator and the v60 and also tach care.
Pros
Great learning evironment
Cons
sometimes no breaks
Productive and fun work place
Patient Family Care Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALApril 19, 2012
Multitasking,fast pace in the am .It was a very exciting job. I enjoyed meeting new faces everyday.For the most part it was fun but sometimes dealing with complex issues and grivances.I learned all about the various Microsoft systems that UAB uses.The management was good the hardest part of the job would be if you had to work while feeling ill because working with people requires your 120% of everything you have to offer and you want to give your very best.My coworkers were very understanding and awsome team players, we knew what had to be done and did it.I loved mostly everything about this job and the pay was great.
Pros
lunches, and breaks. great benefits, heathcare, sick time and vacation
Cons
most likely to get sick in work place....
Kirklin clinic lab work you like a slave hold breaks, hold lunch up to a hour, favortism among certain employees and supervisors, racist
Medical Laboratory Assistant(PHLEBOTOMIST) (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, ALAugust 30, 2013
A typical day: clock in papers are around the desk stick, stick and stick. no room for advancement when its time for lunch they will hold your break and its nothing you can do if you speak up for yourself then you will be known as a trouble maker

What you learned: No matter how good you are its never good enough.

Management: Is poor, lazy does not care anything about the employees, management is selfish and needs to be retrained on how to treat people. Its sad that you are getting paid to be a supervisor and they can't even draw blood and the Lab Manager at Kirklin Clinic Outpatient Lab does not know how to draw blood the just know how to call you in the office and make your day more stressful.

The hardest part of the job: MANAGEMENT

THE MOST ENJOYABLE: Some of the employees were so nice I feel sorry for them because they are stuck there.
Pros
benefits on the first day
Cons
management needs to realize the employees are people and not machines.....
Great place to work if you are a nurse or doctor
Radiology Attendant (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, ALSeptember 12, 2012
I learned a great deal about the business side of UAB Hospital during my time there. Management is more laid back and helpful. My co-workers are very supportive and friendly. The most difficult part of my job is trying not to injure myself when lifting or pushing a bed. The most enjoyable part would be the many patients and nurses I meet everyday and have established friendships
Pros
great benefits, great care, job security, training and development courses, education benefits
Cons
slim chances of advancement, risk of injury
ethical treatment of employees
Staff Nurse (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALJanuary 6, 2015
I worked there 11 years in a variety of areas and overall I my opinion is that coworkers are congenial most of the time. I some areas the nurse patient ratio was not great, but overall management is pretty good. It's been a little over 14 years since I worked there, but in the main, I was leased with the University. Great benefits too.
Evs
Express Temp Service (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALJanuary 7, 2016
Its was fair job. At the time I was pregnant, I don't know if that's the reason I decided they were being hard or maybe it was the feelings I was getting
Great environment where you can meet and interact with others
Unit Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, ALJuly 28, 2012
A typical night at work consists of providing great customer service to the patients and staff.

My co-workers are team players and don't mind helping others when needed.

The hardest part of my job would be keeping busy during the night due to downtime and me working 12 hour night shifts.

The most enjoyable part of my job is being able to help others and provide them with great care. Also, I enjoy the flexibility of my schedule.
Pros
flexible work schedules, great environment, good benefits
Cons
not enough pay