UAB Medicine Employee Reviews

great people
Software Developer Intern (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, ALSeptember 25, 2017
this was an internship, so cannot compare it with a full time job (benefits, perks, etc). But the work culture is great. Building and offices seems a bit cramped up, but people are friendly and helpful.
Really liked working there but their points system was not fair at all.
CCMA (Former Employee) –  HighlandsSeptember 15, 2017
I worked at UAB for 7 years. For the most part I really loved working there. I always did my job and whatever else they asked of me. When it came to you needing to be off for a sick child or you were sick yourself they didn't care. You can not even be a minute late without getting a write up. When I first started it was much better your points roled off after 3 months and now it's a full 12 months. Things happen in life when you need to be away from work. If they are gonna give you paid sick time you should not be punished for using it.
Pros
My patients
Cons
The point system
Working at UAB is very fun
PCT (Patient Care Technician) (Current Employee) –  Birmingham AlabamaSeptember 12, 2017
Working at UAB has been a very good experiment for me. I have learned a lot of skills from UAB. UAB make sure my skills are sharp every year. I would like to get paid more for my services at UAB by being a tech.
Pros
The pros of working at UAB are having fun with the patients
Cons
The currents are working at UAB or not being paid enough
UAB Central Pharmacy Poorly Managed
Pharmacy Technician (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, ALAugust 29, 2017
The immediate director is a great manager. Unfortunately those above her have little to no experience in decision making and make working in the pharmacy awful. The little pay is not worth the amount of stress upper management or "floor 17" as they call them causes. Nearly every hospital around here is paying their techs way more
Cons
Retirement plan is mediocre at best. Health care is expensive
Any job that pays well and have great benifits
Building Services (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, ALMay 4, 2017
Working at Uab is fine for a person with no kids or a financial stable spouse but for me i need more money working in building services its not many positions to move up to n the requirements that they have is awful
It' a nice place to work at.
Housekeeping (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALApril 21, 2017
UAB is a wonderful place to work at.If I were asked to come back to work I would. Everyone there is very friendly. The have some of the best doctors, and nurses that you will ever meet.
Pros
Meal tickets
Cons
Short breaks
Atmosphere
Financial Counselor (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, ALApril 20, 2017
Excellent place of employment, the atmosphere is wonderful. UAB is a place that treats all employees like family. I love my job and all of my patients.
Serious work, healthcare
Operations Analyst III (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, ALApril 8, 2017
Days are slow, unless a problem occurs. Digging into and understanding issues so that I can resolve them are very enjoyable to me.

UAB is a good place to work. The hardest thing is dealing with some of the peculiar personalities in our department, the easiest part of my job is the technical work I am responsible for.
Pros
Benefit time is fantastic
Cons
Parking can be an issue
very stressful place to work
RN (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALMarch 15, 2017
This was the most stressful place I have worked in the 14 years I have been a nurse. I was only given a two week orientation, which really was fine, but their computer system is completly different than any I have ever used before and I was always trying to catch up and having to work over for the first two months that I was there. There were several other RN's that I met while working there, that have decided that they were going to leave and find somewhere else to work also.
Pros
Cons
long drive, patient ratio
Chaos and no support for staff.
Anonymous (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALMarch 13, 2017
In the area where i worked, the environment is just chaotic. Supervisors are not accessible and when there is a problem, rather than address it systemically, there is a tendency to look for scapegoats. Employees there know this and are tentative in helping newcomers as a result. Job expectations are not clearly defined.
Pros
Good benefits. Perks but work schedules make them difficult to take advantage of.
Cons
Chaotic environment.
My review
Certified Clinical Medical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALMarch 10, 2017
I have gained many skills at UAB. The most enjoyable part of my job was caring to patients. I love to take care of people. I look forward to using my skills to progress and flourish within the healthcare industry.
Pros
patients
Cons
volume
i work 12 hours shift.
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, ALMarch 4, 2017
I highly recommend working at Uab because it has great benefits and it pays for your school. retirement plan is good too. UAB also welcomes different cultures.
Pros
free CEU's
Good place to work.
Medical Transcriptionist (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, ALMarch 3, 2017
UAB is a good place to work and is a fast paced work environment. There are great benefits and they are very flexible with you. I learned how to work in a fast paced work environment and got things done efficiently.
Administrative (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALDecember 28, 2016
Management in the Directors office at UAHSF spain rehab is not good at all. I would not refer anyone to work for this part of UAB especially if they have to be under the managers and directors in the Spain Rehab building. I tell anyone who ask me about a job there about how the manager and directors try to cover up complaints made against other employees and my experience working there.The retaliation done by my coworkers,manager, and supervisor was horrible. When I left my whole idea of UAB changed tremendously and it shocked me. I've recently heard the same thing from other employees who left as well.
Pros
Good work hours and benefits
Cons
Pay could be better and working environment changes need to be made
Good place to work.
Pharmacy Technician (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALOctober 14, 2016
Always growing. Lots of things to learn. Very good benefits.
Loved working with my team and management. Fun place to work
and meet other people.They make sure all employee's live up to the CORE values of the hospital.
Pros
Good benefits.
Cons
Parking.
I love what I do here.
Systems Analyst (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, ALSeptember 30, 2016
I have worked at UAB for going on 6 years. Started as a PC tech and have worked my way up to Systems Analyst.I'm am constantly learning new things, and improving upon my skill set.

I very much enjoy what I do and the pay for my position, is pretty good. I know I would make more working private sector but, being a bit under a 100k and having the level of job security is worth it.
Most people I see complaining about pay here are in low ranking positions. Once you get a Wage Grade of about 16. you really start to see more money. Raises tend to be small but you make your money by moving up, not by staying in one position forever. Also, once you reach a certain salary level those small percentage raises start to add up by the thousands.

Work life is great as well. Really flexible, and there are several perks such as company provided cell phones. So, not only do you make more but you save due to not having to pay for your own cell. Also, having the ability to attend school all the way up to a Doctoral degree for free, and family (Spouse and kids) get 50% off is a huge benefit as well.

Only, downside is in certain departments, it's not what you know, it's who you know. UAB has a strong "buddy" system and that can hinder your career depending on where you work. I have never received a promotion based on who I knew but I have worked in areas that had staff who had.
Pros
Flexibility, Growth, Perks other than pay, free college education
Cons
buddy system, Pay (depending on your level)
Educational environment
Administrative Associate (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, ALJune 20, 2016
Great place to work with many opportunities to advance. Very busy, learned a lot about many different healthcare areas. Most enjoyable part is meeting so many different types of people in different areas and different environments.
Awesome work environment!
Patient Care Technician (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALMay 3, 2016
Had a wonderful experience on NICU and worked with some of the best nurses and team members! The only sad part was having to leave my job for nursing school!
excellent
Charge Nurse (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, ALApril 3, 2016
A great place to work. Co-workers are a great to work with. The hardest part of my job is working night shift. The most enjoyable part of my job is working on palliative care.
Anethstesia Special Procedures Tech, MLT, (ASCP)
Anethstesia special procedures tech, MLT (ASCP) (Former Employee) –  CICU LabMarch 5, 2016
This place is like working for a 1950's sheriffs office in Selma, AL. The good ole Boys run the place and play favorites. They are short staffed and only care about their bonuses. So they won't hire people. The worst corporate culture I've ever experienced. Wouldn't ever work there again. You pay for your insurance.
Pros
My peers were nice.
Cons
The management micro manages using old management techniques. It's very condicending and pathetic.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at UAB Medicine. Our community is ready to answer.

UAB Medicine Reviews by Location