UAB Medicine Employee Reviews in United States

This is a great place to work!
Certified Medical Assistant (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, ALJanuary 29, 2016
I'm fairly new to TKC but so far I am highly impressed. The facility is gorgeous. My co workers, management.. EVERYONE has been extremely kind and helpful. I'm in love with this place. Not to mention, the benefits are awesome. The hiring process was in a timely manner. It took about two months from when I applied for them to call me in for an interview. To offer the position, it took about two weeks.. So not too bad. UAB is definitely the place to be if you're looking to advance in your career and continue your education. THEY PAY FOR YOUR SCHOOLING! How awesome is that?!! I can't say enough positive things about UAB. I'm very excited and proud to work here. Best decision I've ever made. Apply! You won't regret it. I can assure you that.
Pros
Pay, benefits, management
Cons
6 month probation
Anethstesia Special Procedures Tech, MLT, (ASCP)
Anethstesia special procedures tech, MLT (ASCP) (Former Employee) –  CICU LabMarch 5, 2016
This place is like working for a 1950's sheriffs office in Selma, AL. The good ole Boys run the place and play favorites. They are short staffed and only care about their bonuses. So they won't hire people. The worst corporate culture I've ever experienced. Wouldn't ever work there again. You pay for your insurance.
Pros
My peers were nice.
Cons
The management micro manages using old management techniques. It's very condicending and pathetic.
Tkc outpatient lab
MEDICAL LAB ASSISTANT PHLEBOTOMIST (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALJanuary 27, 2016
The lab is suppose to be the important as well as all other departments, but I have worked there twice under two different managers, MANAGEMENT IS AWFUL there is favoritism among employees, how can you be a outpatient lab supervisor and CAN'T DRAW BLOOD..., There is always a big turnover management can not ever keep employees there and you talk about patient care, when you are counting how many patient the lab assistants stick A STICK COUNT herding them in like cattle..... I would not advise anyone to apply investigate first because everyone that comes in will start 9-6 management smile in your face an stabbing you in your back and twisting the knife deep BEAWARE before you sign your life away.........
Pros
paying for education
Cons
poor mgnt....
Great place to work and make a difference for the patients
Histo. Tech-HLA (Former Employee) –  Birmingham alabamaJuly 22, 2015
Best part of work enjoyed knowing that I made a difference for the patients.Relocated ortherwise would still be there.
Pros
great benefits, stable work environment, knowledgeable experienced management
Educational environment
Administrative Associate (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, ALJune 20, 2016
Great place to work with many opportunities to advance. Very busy, learned a lot about many different healthcare areas. Most enjoyable part is meeting so many different types of people in different areas and different environments.
Awesome work environment!
Patient Care Technician (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALMay 3, 2016
Had a wonderful experience on NICU and worked with some of the best nurses and team members! The only sad part was having to leave my job for nursing school!
Good company but you are just a number
Patient Encounter Specialist (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, ALJune 7, 2015
UAB employees face big city challenge but receive considerably low compensation in comparison. I love working for the company but am extremely underpaid.
Pros
Health Benefits
Cons
Parking, Underpaid
excellent
Charge Nurse (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, ALApril 3, 2016
A great place to work. Co-workers are a great to work with. The hardest part of my job is working night shift. The most enjoyable part of my job is working on palliative care.
No job security
Histo. Tech (Current Employee) –  HLAFebruary 26, 2015
Double Standards for individuals.Poor management style.Great turn over of experienced techs.No raises.No one has their own mind.Management micromanages constantly.
Pros
pay
Cons
management
Stressful environment
Cook (Former Employee) –  BirminghamOctober 15, 2015
Unlike most cook positions this was by far the most chaotic place I ever worked! There was little to no support from management to make it smoother. Constant problems, always short staffed! Just an overall bad experience!
Pros
Employment
Cons
Short staffed, no support!
Great place to work with excellent benefits for employees
System Analyst (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALMay 5, 2014
Great place to work with excellent benefits for employees.

Working at UAB, there is no typical day at work. Your job revolves around the care of the patient and/or family members.

A majority of the departments work well with their employees and other departments within the organization.

The most enjoyable part of the job was providing care to our patients and making a life saving difference in their lives.
High stress environment
pct (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALSeptember 25, 2015
I work on nicu and the workplace environment was very tense and fast pace because we dealt with head traumas and quite naturally it was a life and death situation 80% of the time so tense environment. I learn and apply frequent advance airway techniques cpr weekly working with the state of the art equipments and managing life and death situations
Pros
being a part of a team that helps critical injury patient
Cons
loss of patients
Some units are better than others
Patient Care Tech (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, ALApril 20, 2014
In the beginning I loved my job and now it has become just a pay check...that barely pays the bills. I work on an extremely hard floor so it's safe to say I work from the time I clock in until the time I leave...many nights we barely eat or even have time for bathroom breaks. Some of the RNs are gems while others feel they are above wiping butts, bathing and cleaning up blood! I have learned that you have to cover yourself because management isn't behind you at all. My position has help me decide to go back to nursing school so I can be a Bette nurse than some of my coworkers. The most enjoyable part of my job are my patients and clocking out! Certain units work with school schedules more than others...I'm on a floor that isn't so kind, and we are a teaching hospital so that's supposed to be priority #1... Also not kind to employees that have children...well my unit isn't.
Pros
getting paid, top notch surgeons
Cons
cutting annual bonus, top out pay, point system, new nurses, higher turnover rate than you think
Outstanding place to work.
HYPERBARIC TECH - Hyperbaric Medicine (Flexi/ PRN) (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, ALJanuary 17, 2015
I love working at UAB Hyperbaric Medicine, however I only work PRN/ Flex. 2 days a week, Monday and Tuesday. UAB is one of the best places I've ever worked. Co- workers and management are knowledgeable and amazing. I feel lucky to work at UAB.
Productivity
Patient Encounter Specialist (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, ALJanuary 5, 2015
Schedules appointments
Interacts with patients
Assists over 200 calls
Assist emails
Trains new employees
Enters charge data
Regulates copiers, fax machines
Pros
great management
Cons
short staffed
Productive working environment
OR Patient Care Technician (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, AlabamaAugust 16, 2013
Great Company to work for. I learn something new pretty much daily. It is a educational facility and for the most part the staff is eagered to teach. The management team are always there whenever you have a problem, suggestion, or just need to talk.
Pros
educational facility also offers tuition assistance
Cons
not really flexible with school schedules
Review
HIM Tech (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, ALOctober 29, 2012
What I loved most about working here is the chances I have to grow in the department and move and do different things. HIM is a wide open field and you never have to be locked down during just one thing. I really like that. The most enjoyable part of my job is actually enacting with patients one on one and not behind a desk all day without enacting with anyone. I really enjoyed the hands on aspect of my job.
Pros
great chances to grow and move up in the department
Cons
schedule, pay
Many incredible colleagues with whom to work. State bureaucracy can be strangling however.
DIRECTOR OF SPECIAL PROJECTS (Former Employee) –  Birmingham ALJanuary 23, 2014
Rapidly growing Academic Medical Center. Bureaucracy, political context and culture of the state can be frustrating and impede progress.
Enterprise Experience
Data Security Specialist (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, ALOctober 26, 2012
A very large, complex and challenging place to work that can be rewarding in regards by contributing to quality healthcare and valuable research.
Great work place with great peers
Office Serice Specialist II (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALAugust 12, 2014
Got along with everyone I worked with and really enjoyed my job. It was usually always busy, I like busy.

UAB Medicine Reviews by Location