Uber

Uber Employer Reviews

Very flexible schedule and hours, but no benefits or advancement.
Driver (Current Employee), Los Angeles, CASeptember 9, 2014
Pros: can work whenever you want and for however long you want.
Cons: no pay raises or advancement. and lots of expenses and wear and tear on your vehicle.
The job seems to pay less the longer you work there, as it has been over saturated with other drivers. A much better part time job, due to a lot of expenses. Not a good long term job at all. There is lots of driving through heavy traffic.
In Chicago, Uber is a scam
driver (Current Employee), Chicago, ILSeptember 6, 2014
Cons: you loose all the way
Uber scam (all locations)
compensation: You earn to pay for gas.

People looking for work , Please do not out of desperation become a Uber Driver. Research the internet. All complaints that Uber drivers share on the internet about Uber is totally true. Lesson learned the hard way. They do not have respect for drivers. They take only rating from clients – more... and can deactivate your account at anytime. Meanwhile, they make money off you while you pay for their app, pay for your gas and incur wear and tear on your car. They will never communicate with you as a driver. So beware.
Remember all those crazy drunk folks at night?
Yes, They listen to these folks saying you are no good although you gave them the best ride quality. DO NOT JOIN UBER. They lie about the 4000 monthly fares. You will never earn that much
They will use you and spit you out. Its totally not worth it for drivers, but if you want to be a client, you can enjoy the app. As a driver, your account will be terminated for no reason after they have charged you enough for their app and have used you to expand their company.
BEWARE OF UBER
Just thought I would help out folks out there and warn them. – less
self employed under uber
Personal Driver (Current Employee), Los Angeles, CASeptember 3, 2014
Pros: flexable schedule, control over personal time
Cons: horriable pay, careless partner/ management team
i make my own schedule. i drive around and meet new people and hold some interesting conversations while getting to know Los Angeles better.
Worst place to work at
Driver (Former Employee), ChicagoSeptember 3, 2014
Pros: i can't see any now knowing how they operate.
Cons: everything you can think of
Guys, DO NOT waste your time to be a driver for this company! This job is for someone who is desperate to make ends meet. Even so, you got to work crazy hours to even make any money. You have to be willing to take customer abuse to you and your car to do this.
Read the reviews here, everything they said are TURE, especially the management, if there – more... is any! I drove for them only three days from only fours a day, drove several customers to the airport. made barely over $100. You do the math.
Lyft is better, but as they grow, you will encounter the same problems. Because they are trying to cut drivers rate to weed out one and other.
On the bright note, use them as only riders, give you great benefit. That's what I'm going to do now. – less
anytime hours, driving members to there destinations. learning of streets of boston and surrounding areas
Driver (Current Employee), Boston, MAAugust 28, 2014
Pros: make your own hours
Cons: no bathrooms available have to locate with available parking
I enjoy driving, I am still in the learning process for the company. I am getting used to the streets and highways of the Boston Ma area.
I am originally from Boston, things have change so much I have to learn again. I do enjoy it for the most part. It has it's flaws just like every business.
Difficult Daily Grind, Lots of Hours Required to make any money
Driver (Current Employee), San DiegoAugust 27, 2014
Pros: make your own schedule
Cons: fares getting lowered, drivers making less
Difficult Daily Grind, Lots of Hours Required to make any money, tons of miles on car and lots of money spent on gas. Income is deceiving because no taxes or benefits are taken from paychecks.
Uber is a great company!
Driver and Partner (Current Employee), Morrison, COAugust 27, 2014
Pros: meeting new people and getting them to their destination safley.
Cons: wear and tear on my car.
Driving for Uber has made my life so much better and allows me to help people get around safely.

Meeting new people is the best part of the job. The hardest part of the job is wear and tear on my car.
UBER RIPPING PEOPLE
Driver (Former Employee), VirginiaAugust 26, 2014
i worked for Uber just a week and i didn't get my pay as they said .Now they text me saying my Uber driving account has been rejected just because customers rated me low than 4.6 .For my opinion clients will rate you low or high sometimes cause anyone i get request to pick them are drunk.90% of the people i picked were drunk and they give wrong addresses – more... and make it difficult to find location.In-fact this Uber company is ripping people off and everyone should be very .Now i didn't get my week pay which as $434.00,i have to pay for dulles toll and bought gas of $120 to start this Uber job and i didn't get anything out of it. – less
UberX Drivers BEWARE: Don't Believe the Hype
Uber X Driver (Former Employee), Nashville, TNAugust 21, 2014
Pros: the clients, set your own schedule
Cons: poor management that do not care about drivers, cut rates, & charge ridiculous fees to drivers so you can't make money any more, wont meet face to face to handles issues with pay. don't pay you what you earned.
When they first came into town things started out great. You could make money with hard work.
Now they have reduced charges to customers by 15% which means drivers makes less money.

They charge drivers $10 per week to use their services whether they drive or not, so you can accrue these charges. We already pay $100 to rent the unit when we first start – more... driving.

Cancellation fee: if client cancels after certain period of time drivers were paid $10 and clients charged. Now fee is $5 and we are never paid. The excuse is "Rider was first time user, so we do not charge first time users." They can't provide proof. Did a test with a friend who was a Uber user all the time. She wasn't charged fee and I wasn't paid.

Navigation system that we pay $10 per week only works !/2 time, other 1/2 takes you the wrong direction and clients cancel due to long wait, so not paid.

Management and Uber Support never answer questions, just skirt around the issue quoting policy which we can read ourselves. Never answer the question.

Unfortunately, the don't care about the driver with UberX any more, just about how much they can make.

Surge stays on for 5 minutes at a time.

Don't work for Uber in Nashville. Many of us are quitting and changing companies.

All contact to local Home Office and support is handled only by email. Can't meet face-to-face even about you pay check. – less
Uber Blah
Driver (Current Employee), BostonAugust 3, 2014
Pros: flexible, and incentives for referring people.
Cons: have to drive at least 12 hours a day to make some extra cash, customers talk your head off then rate you low, management doesn't respond to emails quick enough, there is no telephone number to talk with anyone in management.
Ok so I was referred to become an UberX driver and was totally thrilled by the idea. Only to find that I have put close to 2,000 miles on my brand new car in 3 weeks, have customers who rate you extremely low because they are intoxicated and didn't realize they input the wrong address to be picked up at. Uber takes 20% off your rides, but they also – more... take a $1 off the fare off the top for a safe rider fee. So a trip that is 8 bucks ends up being $5.60in the end and it's not even worth it. I have to drive ridiculous amounts just to get a substantial amount. I enjoyed the opportunity but I won't be driving much longer. Just not worth it in my opinion. – less
UberX Driver Review Dallas/Fort Worth market
UberX Driver Dallas/Fort Worth (Current Employee), Dallas/Fort WorthJuly 12, 2014
Pros: 1 see comments
Cons: 11 see comments
PROS:
Set your own schedule. Log onto the Uber app when you can work.

CONS:
Uber charges $10.00 a week for the phone that they provide you. They state the charge is for data usage.

Poor Toll reimbursement – Uber will tell you they reimburse there driver tolls during a rider trip this is not always the case.

Diluted driver network – Uber’s driver – more... network is so diluted you can end up waiting hours in your car for a trip request even in hotspots.

Poor Dallas Management - College grads that can’t make decisions or tie their shoes. The only way you can get in touch with someone at Uber is via email, good luck getting a valid response.

Uber promotes that there is a 10% gratuity included in each trip this is not the case. Drivers do not get a 10% gratuity. Drivers get zero!

Trip cancellations - This happens all the time. You get a trip request and drive to the pick-up location then the rider cancels the trip or is a no-show and you get zero.

Uber advertises that drivers can make $25 - $35 per hour this is 100% false. After all is accounted for you will probably make $8.00 to $9.00 per hour in the Dallas market.

Wear and tear on your car, more car maintenance and oil changes.

Drunk rude people – you will have to deal with this all the time… cheers.

Uber’s end of the week reports will make it look like you’re a rock star making good money. This is clearly fuzzy math. You will need to take all things into consideration.

Uber does not take out taxes, you will be responsible to pay these taxes when you file.

Higher Insurance premiums – If you are going to drive for Uber you will defiantly want the proper insurance coverage and this will cost you. If you decide not to let your car insurance company know you are using your vehicle for business use and you are in an accident driving for Uber or someone gets hurt your insurance company can exercise their full right not to pay the claim and you could be left 100% liable holding the bag.

Uber’s Terms of Service – read it well and then read it again or have your attorney check it out. As stated in the terms Uber will always stand by the rider and not the driver.

Trip example 1: If you get a trip request that is 5 miles away and you pick up the rider and then find out that they are only going 2 miles then it takes you 7 miles to get back to an area where you can get trip request again then you have driven 14 miles and have only been paid for 2 miles.

Trip example 2: You get a trip request and drive 7 miles to pick-up the rider. The rider wants you to take them to DFW International Airport and let’s say that is 12 miles away. Once you drop off the rider in the airport you will have to drive 12+ miles back to get back into an area where you can get trip request again. Uber’s app does not allow UberX drivers to pick-up riders within the airport & Uber does not reimburse you for the $2.00 toll fee going through the airport. So you were paid for a 12 mile trip and you have driven 31 miles and the toll fee’s come out of your own pocket which is usually another 8% to 11% after Uber takes there 20%.

Trip example 3: If you get a trip request in heavy traffic, event areas or have to drive through a traffic jam some things to consider. Let’s say you get a trip request and drive 3 miles to pick up the rider and the rider’s trip is only 2 miles and the duration of the trip is 30 minutes. The gross fare for this trip will be $10.56 Uber’s cut is $2.11 that leaves you with $8.45 now subtract your gas usage, gas/time to pick up the rider and so on.

Uber’s fare rate for X drivers in the Dallas/Fort Worth market
Base fare $1.90
Per minute 0.19
Per mile $1.48
This will give you a total gross fare based on miles driven from the pickup location to the drop off location and the duration of the trip. Uber will get 20% then you can subtract any tolls, subtract miles/time driven to pick up the rider, subtract any miles/time driven to get back into to an area where you can get trip request again, then subtract the gas you have used. This will give you a net amount before taxes. Also keep in mind that Uber charges there drivers $10.00 a week to use their phone, they state the charge is for data usage. Other things include higher insurance premiums, more vehicle maintenance and so on…

If you are considering driving for UberX you may want to crunch some numbers first, make sure your insurance company aware of how you will be using the vehicle and that you are properly covered this is extremely important due to the fact that Uber will always stand by the rider and not the driver. Read and understated the terms of service.

Who is your typical Uber user? Tech savvy 35,000 a year millionaires and drunk people.

Good luck! – less
Metting new People
Driver (Current Employee), Charlotte, NCJune 30, 2014
Pros: meeting new people
Cons: making sure your in a good location for riders
wait to be contacted for clients, whats going on in the city, management is laid back. being in the right location for riders. meeting peiple from all walks of life
Mind-Numbing Work, poor managers, no work-life balance
Remote Community Success rep (Current Employee), RemoteJune 28, 2014
Pros: work from home job, pays more than most work from home jobs, no phone work
Cons: 12-hour shifts are way to common, poor managers, no work-life balance
I feel that as far as the remote customer service team goes, those in leadership positions are flying by the seat of their pants. Ask two managers the same thing and you are likely to get two different answers. No consistency with scheduling or flexibility. Your experience with scheduling will depend on your manager. Some want you to be available when – more... they say, regardless of your other obligations, while other managers have respect for work-life balance. In addition, there are way too many 12-hour shifts scheduled. This is unacceptable to me. 12-hour shifts should be reserved for those who volunteer and should be rewarded appropriately. If no-one steps up then figure something else out. Scheduling 12-hour shifts shows no regard to the employee.

For the remote customer service position, we were trained for two weeks, which is sufficient. However, after that you are pretty much left to the wolves. They say you are free to ask questions, but everyone is literally ghost once you end training. They have a chat system that is for the birds! During training it seems great. However, you will ask a question once you are on "the floor" and will get crickets. You will ping a manager for help and get crickets! Then when you look up, the manager has logged out of the chat system. Really?!! So then your only resort is to email a manager and their response is that email is not a good way to get help. How the heck am I supposed to get help when a manager is not around to chat or they ignore my chats?? I understand that not all managers are available 24-7 but the ones that are need to respond. And I shouldn't be chastised for seeking other resources. I'm not sure what I expected, the team leads (most of them, not all) seem rather robotic and boring. Seems like they may not like their jobs, this would explain no one going out of their way to help.

If you've been working low-paying jobs then you may put up with these issues, but this is really only a decent salary and I've made more than double what they in a previous career. But I can see how this might seem fantastic to those who have only made a minimum wage salary. My suggestion is to do Uber if you need to, but move on to greener pastures when it's time. – less
Working for Uber is Slave Labor -- Don't Believe the Hype!
Driver (Former Employee), DetroitMay 1, 2014
Cons: see review
Uber's advertisements to make "$25/hour in bookings" as a driver are a bald face lie. Remember "in bookings" means that you must immediately subtract 20% from "$25" because Uber takes that amount from each fare. In the final analysis, please keep reading to find out why you will make LESS THAN MINIMUM WAGE if you become and Uber "partner". Notice how – more... they don't use the word "driver"? Their legal department came up with this euphemism so that when you smash into a pedestrian while driving they can argue in court that you aren't actually an employee!

(1) Be prepared to put 60,000 miles/year on your car if you do this full-time. How much will you need to make to compensate for that vehicle depreciation? How much will this wear and tear cost you in maintenance? Please run the numbers.

(2) Be prepared to pay for the iPhone they provide you -- they are currently charging $40.00/month for a "data plan" which is really a disguised way of stealing more of your %. Even if you do not turn on this iPhone at all during a month, you will pay! Brilliant, now they are incentivized to pass out as many of these iPhone as possible -- eventually they can start their own cellphone company with the revenues! Oh, and you will also have to pay for your own smartphone in order to communicate with riders since the Uber iPhone is only an interface to receive calls for rides! No, you can't download their app on your phone!!! That would allow hundreds of thousands of dollars to slip out of Uber's fingers! "YOU MUST USE OUR IPHONE!!!!!"

(3) You will have to juggle around 2 phones in your car in addition to playing around with your GPS (required). These are accidents waiting to happen! Many states already have laws in place to prevent people from playing with technology while driving. Uber forces you to do this by the nature of the work!

(4) Does your insurance company know that you are operating as a taxi service? You could find yourself in serious trouble in the event you are involved in an accident.

(5) The police can stop and ticket you for operating a livery service without a license at any time. Driving for Uber is illegal and it won't be too long before it is outlawed altogether. Uber is hoping to do their IPO before that happens but we should do our part to make sure it never happens. Boycott Uber!

(6) You will make about $6/hour on average after excluding vehicle depreciation, fuel costs, cell phone costs, income tax, etc. Don't believe me? Then go be a driver and find out for yourself. You will be so sick of sitting around in your car for hours that you'll start screaming. Been there, done that.

(7) The "surge pricing" is a farce designed to call drivers to certain areas with the hope that drivers will make 2x or 3x the normal fare. Don't believe it. You many also win the lottery! I drove to the middle of surge pricing areas several times thinking I would instantly be called instantly but ended up sitting for over an hour in my car and received exactly ZERO calls while this supposed "surge pricing" was indicated. It is a lie. There is no "surge" demand, and customers should be aware that their money is literally being stolen.

(8) What company discourages service industry tips? Answer: UBER! What company in the service industry steals your tips? Answer: UBER! They say tip is included in the fare and then take 20% of your fare!

(9) Do you like driving around at night putting your personal safety in jeopardy at the worst times to be out on the road? That is what Uber wants you to do. Be online until 4am in the morning while the drunks and cops and prowling around. Never mind the chance that you might get car jacked!

Don't believe the hype!!! These so-called "ride-share" companies are slave-wage exploiters foisting all of their cost and liability onto unsuspecting drivers who believe they have finally discovered freedom! How fitting that the opposite is actually true. Uber's advertised "$25/hour in bookings for drivers" is such a farce it forced me to write this review. Their entire business model is based on slave wages and danger transfer to "drivers", and they are in fact operating illegally. Uber and other companies like it are on the precipice of bankruptcy -- all it will take is law enforcement to start ticketing and stopping drivers or a few more high profile accidents and these companies are toast. Don't be seduced by their lies. Citizens: Do not patronize them with your hard earned money and do not put your personal safety in jeopardy! – less
Uber is the best
Limousine Driver (Current Employee), Long Island City, NYApril 18, 2014
Mostly I work Friday, Saturday from 3.00pm to 1.00 am this hour is very busy. friendly management, latest technology, no paper work very good system I like it. But frequently cancelation is painful jersey to jersey fare is low. Most enjoyable part is right way passenger no waiting and direct communication with client.
PERFECT COMPANY TO WORK WITH
Limo Driver (Current Employee), New York, NYMarch 14, 2014
NICE COMPANY I ONLY WORK 8 HOURS AND I MAKE MY DAY, WE HAVE A LOT OF CO WORKERS BUT WE NEVER SEE EACH OTHER, THE HARDEST PART IS THE TRAFFIC IN MANHATTAN IN THE RUSH HOUR, AND THE EASIEST IS TO BE NEAR TO YOUR CLIENT.
Not so great
Driver (Personal Contractor) (Current Employee), San Diego, CAMarch 8, 2014
Pros: choose own work schedule & meet a lot of interesting people.
Cons: company constantly drops prices without notifying drivers.
Days are very slow. Most nights also. Weekends are decent & only busy during holidays or big events. Company is constantly changing prices without notifying drivers so it causes a lot of confusion and low employee morale. For customers Uber is great but the drivers get the short end of the stick.
good experience
Limo Driver (Former Employee), Los Angeles, CAFebruary 28, 2014
Pros: nothing
Cons: presure
it was not that bad job.
i did not like the job policy.
if you do not own the car that means you are wasting your time.
some of ppl like this job.
i did not honstly
Great Company
driver (Current Employee), Boston, MAFebruary 21, 2014
Good company to work for. Great technical support, responsible management and great pay...
Fun place to work
Brand Ambassador (Current Employee), San Diego, CAFebruary 18, 2014
Great group of people with intelligent bosses who are very encouraging and communicate well

About Uber

Uber is evolving the way the world moves. By seamlessly connecting riders to drivers through our apps, we make cities more accessible, – Read more