Uber

Uber Employee Reviews

Stressful and very demanding
Driver (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAFebruary 11, 2016
The company can do better on improving level of professionalism toward workers. And sometimes they are too harsh in understanding the quality service providing by workers, mostly those who are under contract.
Cons
short breaks
Independent Work Environment with flexible hours
Driver (Current Employee) –  Detroit, MIFebruary 11, 2016
Uber offers a flexible schedule. You simply sign and drive. Meeting new people is fun and exciting. Learning the city layout is a plus. This self managed position allows drivers to earn as much as they are willing to drive. The only draw back is, wear and tear on your vehicle.
Pros
Freedom and Flexibility with your schedule.
Cons
There is no opportunity for advancement beyond driver.
Worst pay
driver (Former Employee) –  Santa Monica, CAFebruary 11, 2016
You might be lucky to take home 7 bucks an hour after gas and taxes.I worked for Lyft and Uber in areas that are extremely busy. Slave labor. If you like driving people around for 5 to 7 bucks an hour, go for it.
Pros
Cons
all
The could be better
Transportation Service Specialist (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCFebruary 10, 2016
Uber was a very good job be for the cut in pay. The hours work well for people who have another job an a family. Atypical work day begins when my other job ins about four pm an ends about ten pm.
Easy job
Customer Service Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAFebruary 10, 2016
Its an easy job because you have the ability to work remotely, but there is no room for upward movement or growth. Clear separation between permanent and contract employees.
An enjoyable feeling of a job well done
diver (Current Employee) –  Miami, FLFebruary 9, 2016
Typical day are at some days has it up and some has it down learn about time work and safety for the costumers and employ learned how to listen to management and have them listing to me even when the heat is on met some the most hard working co works while working with some who are good at what the do when you feel like everthing is coming at you so fast and you just want to give up but at the of the day nothing is more enjoyable then a job well done
Pros
the lunch breaks and contact with the customer
Cons
befects could be better
Uber
Driver (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 7, 2016
pretty flexible because i choose my hours. Helps me balance time spent with my son. The pay is good because they only take 20 percent & the people i meet are usually pretty nice
Great job if you like driving
Driver (Current Employee) –  Hoboken, NJFebruary 6, 2016
Uber is excellent with the ability to work whenever it is convenient to myself, however in order to make enough money to in my opinion make it worth working with Uber is not worth the wear on my vehicle.
Fun adventurous
Driver (Current Employee) –  Worcester, MAFebruary 4, 2016
Helping my community with safe rides and make sure no one drinks and drives. Everyday is different.
Enjoy meeting new people
Good
Taxi Driver (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXFebruary 3, 2016
Good company to work for on a part time basis but not full time. One needs to have 2 jobs to make a living but cannot do that only working as a full time driver.
Great flexibility but mediocre pay
Partner (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAFebruary 3, 2016
Uber is a great side-gig. I would not recommend it full time. The amount you end up paying for gas and maintenance puts you close to minimum wage depending on your area. If you are interested in driving for Uber, use my referral code (m69revz7ue) and you will get a $250 bonus when you sign up. The referral program is great at least!
Pros
Referral program, flexibility
Cons
Cost of gas and operations
Great for school
Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAFebruary 2, 2016
Helped prepare me for a lot of stressful situations in a work place. I honestly wouldn't have survived Apple if it weren't for Starbucks.
Worked as a ranch hand for my uncle.
During senior year, worked as an UBER driver (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAFebruary 2, 2016
The work was hard but I learned a lot. It was nice to work outside all day. I doubt that anyone will benefit from a work review from my uncle's ranch.
Driving yourself to poverty and killing your car
"Partner" (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CAFebruary 1, 2016
With the current rates, a driver makes realistically $7-8/h gross, before taxes, fuel, and car maintenance. Uber takes 40-60%, depending on the trip length.
Pros
Cons
Fares below minimal wages.
self motivated
Independent Contractor (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAFebruary 1, 2016
If you're self motivated and like to create your own schedule than Uber is a fun way to do your own work. I can place my work schedule around my personal life and it works for now because I am a student with a very busy personal lifestyle. The hardest part of the job is when your car breaks down but as time passes and you get experience you realize you want all the AA member clubs and best insurance you can find.
Pros
work for your self
Cons
not guaranteed same pay
Uber X Driver Washington DC Market review
Uber Partner (Driver) (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCFebruary 1, 2016
I have been a driver in transportation for over 15 years. What I have learn is everyone experience is different and yet some are the same. What I am writing about is my experience with Uber.

I have a love/hate view about Uber. I love the opportunity but hate the fees and the fares. I have had fares run $140 but my payout was around $80. That's steep when the average fare for me is around 7 to 15 bucks for up to 30 mins of driving (not including driving to pick up)

Anyways below is a more in depth review of my experience.

1st, Yes you can make money if you have strict discipline of great service, long hours and always accepting trips.

2nd Your “fare total” is not your net payout total. (real life example if you do $140 in fares your take net payout will be $80) This doesn’t include your cost for fuel, maintenance, taxes, and other expenses which you have to figure out yourself.

3rd You are not going to do $90,000 in fares driving a Prius in King George
or Prince William 40 hours a week.

4th Speaking of $90,000 in fares those drivers are driving Sedans and SUV’s that’s Uber luxury services not Uber X. Uber X drivers receive min of $5.35 of which the payout after Uber’s fee around $3.00. A little less for $5.00 cancelations fees (only paid passengers meet certain requirements.)

In the DC market The SUV’s pay the best at $25 fare min but only $10 when passengers cancel providing they met certain requirements. I don’t know how much the net payout is because I don’t own a SUV or participate in that service.

5th If you want to see higher net payments,
  more... you have to drive urban densely populated areas DC and Arlington Period. And if you are like me and would prefer to drive Virginia only your income will be cut big and you will still have to go into DC because you don’t know the destination until the passengers are in your car ready to go. I’ve taken people to SE to Capital Heights MD

6th Uber, Lyft offer guarantee fare rates. They offer drivers who accept high amount of trips (90% or more) will receive a certain hourly fare total. guarantee fare rates are not to be confused with net payouts range from $20 to $35 per hour but I have seen $20 to $25 most often during peak demand hours only.

Bottom line
Many of these drivers who reach higher numbers do so by working smart, long hours and often owning vehicles that earn higher fares. They Minimize “deadheading” (driving without any passengers or product.) Also many drivers will work with other Services like Postmates and Lyft and at least 3 others to keep wheels moving. Some drivers even keep two phones to maximize runs.

Heads up in the VA market Lyft pays better because of more bonuses but Uber has the most customers. I once drove for Lyft for 2 hours without 1 fare. Mistake not repeated.

Don’t lease a car if you can avoid it until you get some time to feel what works for you. I lease a 2015 Toyota Prius with Breeze for 195.00 a week. Minus the snow storm it has taken me every bit of 4 weeks to understand what I need to do and how to pay for it.

Sorry for the long post but I have lost over $1,200 making decisions based on articles that clearly don’t write well enough about the fine print. Then again Welcome to The Transportation Industry.
Pros
You make money
Cons
If you are not careful and plan well you won't make enough.
uber
Driver (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAFebruary 1, 2016
when i start work with this company its was basic. pick up people and bring them to there location and make sure you know where you going using gps.
The Uber rating system will get you fired!
Driver (Former Employee) –  Ventura County, CAJanuary 31, 2016
Enjoyed the freedom and extra money in my pocket.

Too bad the Uber rating system is total BS! I maintained a 4.6 = 41/2 star rating. For Uber that isn't good enough! I did not keep Uber's minimum rating of 4.7. So I was FIRED. How can you get fired if you are an independent contractor??

Total BS. Don't waste your time. You are better off delivering pizza. At least you get an hourly wage.
Pros
Freedom
Cons
Rating system, no tips
Good for flexibility
Driver (Current Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVJanuary 31, 2016
I really enjoyed and needed the flexibility that Uber offered however since they lowered their rates in Las Vegas, we receive less. Now i think twice before i go out to drive.
be your own boss
Driver (Current Employee) –  Sacramento, CAJanuary 29, 2016
I love driving, so uber was the best job for me. I can work when I want to I can stop when I want to. I don't have to report to anyone. And I can go wherever I want without having to worry if I am going to get into troube!