Uber

Uber Employer Reviews

A great part time job
Driver (Current Employee), Las Vegas, NVDecember 16, 2014
Pros: free time ..meet new people
Cons: difficulty with las vegas continued operation
Uber fits into my lifestyle perfectly. As a business owner, it helps me to make extra income without hindering my ability to conduct my other business. I can't wait until it comes back to Las Vegas. The
management has shown concern for us and has even given us a Thanksgiving bonus.

I really enjoyed meeting the people I drove and they were an upscale
pleasant – more... group of people. – less
Used to be good then they got greedy
Driver/Chauffer (Former Employee), River Vale, NJDecember 15, 2014
They are very shady in their practices with both drivers and customers. I got out as soon as they cut rates so that drivers can't make a living.
Great!!
Driver (Current Employee), Seattle, WADecember 11, 2014
Great work, flexible work schedule. Meet new people. If you love to drive this job is good for you as a part time(extra cash).
Specially Friday, Saturday and Sunday are super busy.
I still working there, just trying to get another job.
Waste of GAS, TIME, MILES, CAR, you name it!!!
driver (Former Employee), miamiDecember 8, 2014
Pros: drive wheever you want
First OFF, UBER is so cheap that a 30 minutes ride will be about $14, yes, only $14, now they cut the prices up to 20% OFF, ALWAYS remember, they take 20%, plus you pay for your own gas and tolls, they assure they refund but NO they don't. From those $14 you will be taking about $9. SO why just dont go and work per hour, you will get same money if not – more... better, sometimes you have to wait 30 minutes a ride, so be ready to waste your time, people dont tip, so dont expect them to do so, they slam the door all the time, i hate that, is not a fricking TAXI PEOPLE IS MY OWN CAR and they know. SO my recommendation, dont do it, you will put so many miles in your car, paying for repairs, and i dont want to think about if you have an accident. – less
This is Really the Worst Company to Work For.
Driver (Current Employee), ChicagoDecember 6, 2014
Pros: flexible time
Cons: hardly any
First of all you are not an employee. You a contractor. You have no benefits. They expect you to bear all such benefits and maintenance cost from the meagre percentage they pay you. They undercut drivers in order to compete and drivers will earn next to nothing after maintenance cost. They also are extremely arrogant and very rude people. They will – more... never contact you by phone to solve any problems and you will never be able to speak to anyone by phone if you need driver support or any questions. It is also not a good contract because they terminate you based on statistics alone without any notice and without any input from you as a driver. Such a relationship is onesided as such an agreement is squed to mostly their benefit. With such an uncertainty with regards to a continuous and regular income I would never recommend this Comany Uber to anyone. – less
RISK AND EXPENSES OUTWEIGH PAY - STAY AWAY
Driver (Former Employee), MilwaukeeNovember 24, 2014
Cons: you won't make enough to make it worthwhile.
My first experience with UBER as a driver was a nightmare - I will never drive again. Passenger paid $15.10 for a ride that lasted 39 minutes of time and engine running. After UBER's cut, I got $11.28! She had me stop to pick up her daughter along the way to Chipotle. Passenger and I wait 15 minutes for daughter to come out from her event. But then – more... not just her daughter but three kids got in my car. So now I have 4 passengers . We go to Chipotle and I wait for them 15 minutes to get food and then take them back to their hotel.

I complain to Uber that we had multiple stops and 4 passengers and they didn't pay for return fare from Chipotle back to the hotel. Uber's response:
1) we allow 4 passengers for the same fare
2) You got paid for your time, if you made them pay a separate fare for the return trip, it would have amounted to the same anyway. Really!! Really!?? If that is the case, driving for UBER is a money and time loosing venture for drivers.

Consider this - you have an accident with a passenger on board, its your own insurance that has to pay - Uber's kicks in only if when your own insurance policy is depleted. If your passenger gets hurt, you can be sued. If your car insurance finds out you were using your vehicle for business, your rates will go way up negating any money you made for years! DON'T DO IT, GREAT FOR RIDERS BUT A WASTE OF YOUR TIME, YOU WON'T MAKE ANY MONEY AND VERY HIGH LIABILITY FOR YOU AND YOUR FINANCIAL FUTURE. The way I see it, I took on serious risk and actually lost money my first day working for Uber. Other riders have stated that you will actually make less than minimum wage driving your own car for Uber - I believe that is true - unless you get passengers to tip you or take them additional places without Uber ever knowing. – less
less income
driver (Current Employee), San Francisco, CANovember 21, 2014
i been working with uber for three years,,the first two years was good..since last year uber cut the price by almost half and raised their fees from %5 to %25.
I found my self making %65 LESS than it used to be.On the other hand my expenses is going up.
DO YOUR MATH FOLKS!
Driver (Former Employee), DallasNovember 17, 2014
Pros: great service for riders
Cons: poor driver support by email only - poor pay
Driving for Uber will not earn you the kind of money you’re being told and you will be lucky to earn a minimum wage.

My expenses driving a small SUV getting 20 miles to the gallon calculates to 25 cents a mile which covers depreciation, insurance, expected repairs, oil and gas. This estimate, I believe, is on the conservative side.

On Friday, I worked – more... 5 hours in an Uber “hot zone” where Uber says 50 percent of their business in my area comes from. The only time I left this area was to take a couple to the airport 25 miles away. Leaving the airport, I did not get another ping/fare until I had entered back into the “hot zone” again. In the five hours I picked up a total of 7 fares for a total pay of $68.08. When you subtract my expenses of 25 cents per mile, driving 159 miles for the day, my net income was $5.66 an hour. One of my fares I was pinged four miles from the pickup location, which took me thirteen minutes to get there. Three college students hopped in my car and wanted a ride two miles down the road, for a total of six miles. After deducting my expenses, this fare only netted me $1.70 for almost 20 minutes of work.

On Saturday, November 1st I worked three hours and fifty minutes back in the “hot zone”, only turning my ride application off for a five minute bathroom break and I picked up a total of 5 fares for a net income of 13.25. I now worked two days for a total of eight hours and forty five minutes and earned less than five dollars an hour.
And Uber wants me to serve my riders cold bottled water too?

Do your math folks, here is how to figure your expenses.

Total Cost of Your Auto – Salvage Value / Expected Miles Before Replacement = Auto Depreciation per Mile

Cost of Fuel Per Gallon / Miles Per Gallon Your Auto Gets = Fuel Cost Per Mile

Expected Repair, Oil and Maintenance Costs Life of Auto / Expected

Miles Before Auto Replacement = Cost Per Mile

Insurance = Cost Per Mile etc

Cleaning = Cost Per Mile

Also, what most folks don’t realize is, once you start using your auto for profit, your auto is then considered to be a commercial vehicle, so your personal insurance will not cover an accident and if you have a car warranty, it more than likely will be voided. Almost all personal car warranties don’t cover commercial use. From what I understand, Uber only covers an accident when you’re actually giving a passenger a ride, so you’re at risk every-time you’re going to pick up a passenger. – less
meet great people but.......
driver (Current Employee), nashvilleNovember 16, 2014
Pros: flexible schedule
Cons: pay not beneficial unless its a holiday event
I've meet some interesting people. I have some comical stories for days!!
If you live close to the city you can make descent earnings. Watch out for changes in fares especially during surge. Take photos of all fares. They messed me up during Halloween.
Well Paying
Uber Driver (Former Employee), Palo Alto, CANovember 13, 2014
Pros: money
Cons: random people in your car
It was great pay but not the job for me. I wasn't a big fan of having strangers in my car, also I recently had to sell my car so I'm currently looking for a new one.
Exciting and rewarding!
Personal Driver (Current Employee), Grand Rapids, MINovember 12, 2014
Working for Uber has been and continues to be a great experience for me. I have the opportunity to meet new people and help them explore the city! I have the chance to be an Ambassador for Grand Rapids when I pick someone up who has ner been here before. I have the flexibility to make my own schedule and work wherever I want in the city.
Great money; terrible management!
Partner/Driver (Former Employee), Detroit, MINovember 12, 2014
Pros: good money and benefits
Cons: bureaucratic policies; abusive nepotism and favortism
The money and benefits from Magna were excellent; the management team treated workers very poorly. High seniority workers were targeted by management for disciplinary actions much more readily and harshly than new hires.
UBER sucks
Driver (Former Employee), PhoenixNovember 12, 2014
Give them one star but they are no more than 0
Dont drive for them they are not even legal and no training, no drug test, no communication , you make less then $10 per h with your own car they lie you will make $25 + ,dont do it ...
Fun Place ti
Driver (Current Employee), Durham,NCNovember 11, 2014
I can set my own hours. Met and greet different people! Being my own boss.
UBER/FURNITURE COMPANY
INDEPENDANT CONTRACTOR (Current Employee), Pittsburgh, PAOctober 30, 2014
Pros: set my own time to work i enjoy what i do so i work alot
Cons: can't think ofany
I OWN A SMALL FURNITURE COMPANY STARTED IT 5YR AGO WITH ONE SOFA AND ONE LOVE SEAT FROM BIG LOTS AND HAVE GROWN EVER SINCE UP TO 7500 SQUARE FOOT SHOWROOM JUST TO MUCH FOR ME TO HANDLE PLUS I DRIVE AS A CONTRACTOR FOR UBER. DRIVING IS SOMETHING I'VE ENJOYED MY WHOLE LIFE THAT SOUNDS ODD TO SOME BUT IT WORKS FOR ME. SOMETHING ABOUT MIXING IT UP WITH – more... THE PUBLIC AND ALL THE CULTURES IT'S REWARDING – less
Ridiculous Waste Of Time!!!
Driver (Current Employee), Charleston SCOctober 21, 2014
Pros: work as much as you want
Cons: have to work insane amount of hours to make $35k a year....
Drove for Uber out of curiosity and the pipe dreams of making $25 an hour to drive a cab.... Not true.... MAYBE on VERY busy nights the company will GROSS $25 an hour off you but in my opinion that doesn't count as me MAKING $25 an hour.... Of that you are left with 80%... Then subtract about 15% for gas with all the empty miles.... And wear and tear – more... on your car!!!

So I've taken my net after uberS cut, subtracted my gas based on total miles driven on shift and average MPG, and I have figured I am making about $9-$10 an hour. Not bad right? WRONG.... That's only after gas.... That doesn't consider the wear and tear on your own vehicle!! Depreciation! Oil changes, which you will need about once a month! Tires, don't get a flat tire or your wage will drop to about $.50 cents an hour for the rest of the night!.... If you have a car payment then you'll really be poor!.... To make $1,000 a week with them means you will have to work 70-100 hours that week! And put about 1,500 miles on your car with no flat tires!

Don't believe me? Just do the simple matter of fact math. Here in Charleston SC they charge $1.75 a mile.... They take 20%... So we get $1.40 a mile.... I've figured out that most of the time you have 50% of your miles driving empty to pick up the next fare. But let's underestimate and say only 40% of miles are driven empty (if you get really lucky)... So that means out of total miles driven you are grossing, before any maintenance or gas, $.84 cents every mile you drive. I figure with gas at $3.20 per gallon and my car averaging in the city 19 mpg that I spend .17 cents on gas every mile. So after gas you are bringing home .67 cents per mile BEFORE INSURANCE, MAINTENANCE, OIL CHANGES MONTHLY, CAR PAYMENT, WATER FOR CUSTOMERS, $40 a month for Uber phone etc..... But any who lets stick with the gross .67 cents a mile to keep this positive!.... In order to make their proclaimed $20/hr you would have to drive 30 miles per hour every hour worked (.67X30=roughly $20).... That's assuming there's non stop fares in your car which there aren't for an entire hour and you do 30MPH the whole time without stopping(. ; ) impossible) .... Plus a lot of the times you drive 5 miles to take someone 2 blocks for $5 and then the per mileage compensation gets really ugly!! I'm talking about 7 total miles driven for $5.... After uber cut $4... Say $1 in gas... $3 for 7 miles??

But let's pretend that uber is absolutely perfect and you always can get this magical .67 cents net after gas per mile! They claim uber drivers are making $1,000 per week? That would require at the very minimum driving 1,500 miles that week..... Or about 70 hours worth! So with 2 weeks vacation working 70 hours per week 50 weeks a year...you could theoretically make $50,000... After driving your car 75,000 miles.... Insurance is $1800 a year so $48,200... 2 sets of tires in that time not counting any flats which you will get a lot in that time trust me so call it 3 sets of tires at $600 each is $1800... $46,400... Roughly $750 in oil changes $45,650... About another $800 in brake jobs.... $44,750.... All the other BS maintenance that's going to happen within 75,000 miles call it miscellaneous $1,000(very generous) $43,750...uber phone $40/month is $480 so $43,270... Now most cars might last 150,000 miles before serious maintenance takes over....let's take uberS side again and say it lasts 175,000 miles .... Anything over 175,000 is gunna be raggedy and will get you bad reviews and deactivated so you won't have a job anyways.... So let's say you buy a car for uber(or use your own) depreciation still holds true.... Say you get/or have a nice used one with 25,000 miles on it (has to be 5 years old or newer to work with them) for $15,000? So you'll get to drive it for 2 years with these kinds of miles.... So deprecates roughly $7,500 per year..... Now your wage is down to an average of $35,770 per year after the price of the vehicle depreciated over 2 years.... 70 hrs per week X 50 weeks is
3,500 hours worked per year.... $35,770/3,500= $10.22 an hour to work 70 hours per week with 0 perks for overtime. $10.22 an hour to deal with wasted people who act like they own you and you have to suck up to them the whole time out of fear of a bad rating!! Remember this is $10.22 an hour based on the best possible circumstances of only 40% empty miles!!.... It's almost always 50% as you have to drive all the way back to where you started in most cases to get another fare.... OR WORSE... Drive 7 miles to make $4.... 70 hours a week and dealing with hammered hipsters for $9-$10 an hour that get to rate you after every trip and could cost you your job..... Oh ya if anything major goes out on your car maintenance wise in those 150,000 miles ( which it will...).... And which I did not include in my very generous maintenance estimates... Well then you can kiss that $10.22 goodbye! Also to make anywhere close to this $1,000 a week we are talking about 70 HOURS sitting in your car driving...

. Do you know what the health effects of sitting for this insane amount of hours per week would be?? Do you have health insurance with uber for that 10.22 an hour and insane amount of dedication that could be detrimental to your health, Nope, your not an employee your just a partner! – less
Flexible schedule and meeting interesting people while helping them.
Driver (Current Employee), Boston, MAOctober 17, 2014
Feeling a great sense of entrepreneurship while having a flexible schedule is always motivating as well as driving, helping and meeting all sorts of great people in the process.
Work hard and you will benefit.
Chauffeur Driver (Current Employee), New YorkSeptember 30, 2014
Flexible hours, you make it what you want it to be.

Email them with any questions or issues, they will get back to you in 24 hours.
DO NOT WORK with Uber. Uber is a SCAM
UberX Current driver (Current Employee), Washington DCSeptember 20, 2014
Pros: you make your own schedule
Cons: too many cons. can't write all of them here
If you are looking for a job, please look somewhere else. Uber isn't a good company to work with. First of all, Uber doesn't communicate properly with the drivers. Uber drops the prices constantly without even telling the drivers. For instance, when I started, going from Silver Spring to Dulles Airport was $66. Last time I did the same thing and it – more... was only $56. From the $56, Uber takes 20%. Do the math and see how much you have left. The drivers are on the road doing the most difficult part of the job but get nothing at the end. Uber also takes some fees (Uber rider's fee..etc) from your paycheck. I don't know the purpose of these fees. You pay $100 to get the phone but Uber advertises like they give you the phone for free. NO, you don't get the phone for free. You have to pay $100 for it. In addition to Uber fees, you put gas in your car, pay the insurance and car note. It means to make a little bit of money with Uber you have to drive for very long periods of time. My health is more important than driving drunk people around.

Second, Uber's rating system is terrible. As drivers, we can't see what the riders write about us. How will you improve if you don't even know what is written about yourself?
Because of the rating system, customers or riders are extremely demanding behaving like they own your life. I remember myself carrying luggage, groceries, strollers...etc of customers and taking the stairs with them but at the end you don't get any good review. Many times I had more than 5 people in my car and playing music very loud because that's what the riders wanted but at the end, still no good review. Many times riders forgot their cell phone in my car and had to return their belonging later or many days later but at the end still no good review. However, if you make a tiny mistake, you are finished. They immediately write a negative review. I often get people that are drunk and don't even know what they are doing anymore but later on they write bad reviews about you while you helped them a lot. So much pressure and abuse for what? To get how much money? Please do not waste your time working with Uber.
Still about the rating system, Uber wants drivers to maintain a 4.6 out of 5 rating. Otherwise, your account can be deactivated. I believe it is too demanding. 4.6 is very unrealistic.

I don't want to be too long. In conclusion, driving for Uber is similar to a$7 or $8 job/hour or even less. In addition, it is risky since the more driving you do, the more you get exposed to accidents. Uber is a pretty dishonest company and lacks transparency. Uber's prices are too low and the drivers do most of the job but don't get anything. The rating system is terrible. Customers are ungrateful. Do not waste your time working for a company that doesn't even communicate with you while you are making money for them. Do not use your nice car for this.

This review is from a current driver that drives at least 10 hours everyday. I am quitting Uber and will never do it again. – less
Just make enough for gas, taxes, not for tearing up your car.
ex-driver (Former Employee), Tampa, FLSeptember 14, 2014
Pros: you learn how to get around your city
Cons: there is no way to make money with their low fares.
When they come to a city they subsidize the drivers pay and the driver can make some money. But after some time they lower the fare, so you end up making less than minimum wage using your car, Is not worth anymore

1 2 3

About Uber

Uber is evolving the way the world moves. By seamlessly connecting riders to drivers through our apps, we make cities more accessible, – Read more