Uber Partner Drivers Employee Reviews in United States

low pay/ high car expense and mileage.
Uber Partner (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLJuly 9, 2016
Best part of the job is you are the boss, work whenever you want. But, the pay sucks. You have to work odd hours to make any kind of money.
I've been doing it for over 2 years and tried it full time but you only make about $10-$12 an hour after you take out expenses. That's not even taking out any taxes.
It has made me dislike people. You have to put up with all kinds of people and thier stupid requests from, "hey, can we stop at the gas station so i can pick up something" to someone vomiting in your car at 2 am.
And hardly no one tips because the way Uber has marketed the product, people feel like it's "included" in the fare.
Pros
work when you want
Cons
pay sucks, rack up miles on car, work odd hours, late
They have your back as ICs
Courier/Independent Contractor (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 4, 2016
There was one time that I had attempted to pick up a package as a RUSH delivery messenger at a customer`s house when the customer denied making the request. I told Uber`s partner support team and I came to find out that there was a system glitch that mixed up the order. I was compensated about 1.5x the expected compensation for that delivery if I had picked up to drop off.
Pros
Set your own schedule, write-off job related expenses before you pay your taxes, etc.
Cons
Sometimes there are slow days-meaning slow money (commission)
Meeting New People In a Challenging Environment
TLC Driver (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 7, 2016
On an average day at work, I get in my car and meet people from different walks of life from all around the world. I learned that most people, no matter where they're from want the same thing, which is to be happy and have stability.

My co-workers/fellow drivers are decent people who work hard. I my some familiar faces while I'm on the job from time to time, but I'm always on the go.

The hardest part of the job is determining when I should come in since I make my own schedule. The most enjoyable part of the job is that I'm always out in the city.
Pros
Meeting New People
Cons
Gas prices
Not what they say they are
Uber Driver (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJune 23, 2016
I worked there for 6 months and in the small timeframe, they changed their mileage for the drivers, from $1.30 a mile to 90 cents. Their commission also went from 20% to 30%. Their reasoning was to increase the volume of business for the drivers and it did, for short trips, but on the longer ones, it just isn't worth it. Most of the money you make is on surge fares. If it wasn't for the surge fares the drivers would make very little. Uber did what was best for Uber and their passengers.They neglect the hard working drivers who make the money for them.
Pros
Make own schedule
Cons
The cost per mile
Interesting,flexible and weekly pay
Driver (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLJune 29, 2016
Uber is a job you can do any time, since the schedule is up to the driver. The driver can turn the app on any time and turn it off any time. They pay weekly so that is a motivator. The down side is Uber cut their rates in half January 2015. The driver pays for gas, car-washes, and repairs. When the expenses are taken off, it is a write off. If Uber would raise the rates it would be a great job .Most passengers are nice and fun,
Pros
Flexible schedule
Cons
Low net pay
Good platform set to take advantage of drivers
Driver (Former Employee) –  Aspen, COJune 19, 2016
I worked as a driver for 3 months after I was drawn in by their incentive program which is a scam. Good luck trying to talk to a person within the company. Also, be prepared to have riders cancel on you after you drive to the pick-up location. Expect NO TIPS because the company discourages tipping. Expect to lose money if you factor in cost of gas and vehicle wear. Most people that you end up driving were friendly people who were grateful for the service. I would recommend Uber driving position to anyone you is interested in community service and wants to help Uber's bottom line.
Pros
Cons
Your on your own
Fun Meeting New People and Driving
Personal Driver (Current Employee) –  Spokane, WAJuly 1, 2016
Typical day, turn on app and hope for a hit, once you get one, you need to head out right away, sometimes when you are on your way, they cancel the ride. That's hard because you don't get paid unless it's over 5 minutes and then the charge is 5.00 and Uber keeps 20% of that. Uber is fun, meeting new people from all over the world, but they have too many drivers for the Spokane area.
Pros
Drive your own hours
Cons
Too many drivers and not enough riders
Entertaining
Independent Contractor/Driver (Former Employee) –  Corona, CAJune 28, 2016
Working for Uber, you set your own schedule which is convenient, fun job, get to meet all kinds of people. I learned how to deal with different types of attitudes that comes from clients moods. I managed to work a lot of hours overnight and weekends, making it convenient for me and my family to spend time together. Hardest part of this job like I mentioned above, is dealing with people's attitudes and drunks. Most enjoyable part was not having a boss on my back, taking my time for lunch with no rush, and if I had any type of emergency or need time off, all I had to do was turn off my app on my phone and I was off the clock.
Pros
own schedule, sometimes good tips from clients.
Cons
dealing with drunk people, and bad attitudes for no reason.
run away
driver (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CAJune 7, 2016
tears up your car and you pay all expenses. Plus you have idiots rating you as a driver. Not worth it unless you are a glutton for punishment. I had to drive to San Francisco just to talk to a human being who worked for Uber for my Apt complex to get them to say I no longer work for the company. It's a very poor company.
Pros
flexible schedule
Cons
people leaving stuff in your car, drunks, driving all over the place and ruining your car racking up mileage which just devalues your vehicle
Such a Fun and creative way !!!
Driver (Current Employee) –  San Francisco Bay Area, CAJune 6, 2016
Well not so new anymore, and I just wanted to say I love working for Uber, it can be tiring at time, it is busy if you want to stay busy, you make your own schedule, they have great incentives,..... no coworkers , the hardest part would be rude and disrespectful people that you take sometimes... but 85% of them are nice, so they make up for the 15% that should keep their bad behavior at home......
Otherwise , Thanks Uber for giving me a job, a car, and a life back....
Pros
My own schedule
Cons
not many
Great if you live in the right place
Driver (Current Employee) –  Worcester, MAJune 5, 2016
UBER is an excellent rideshare platform. You're in charge of yourself and your time and really it is all it claims to be. They pay differently in different cities, The closest city to me only charged $0.60/mile and 0.10/minute. So I made the 30mile drive to the next best place every day where they charged a little more, but still nothing to write home about. Just check on the rates in our area so you know you're making an informed decision.
Pros
New people, flexibility
Cons
Commission
No reply of exit partnership question
Partner driver (Former Employee) –  CAJuly 11, 2016
The turnover rate is high. They want 5 star driver. How many 5 star grade you can find here?

Management is very bad. No training. Very easy get ticket in airport as you don't know the pick up and drop off rule. Exit the company, many driver is hard to get back the last payout. Stop partnership as they want.
Pros
Make some money
Cons
May get tickets in airport as driver doesn't know the rules. Don't reply about exit last payment.
Great job if you're unemployed and just want some cash flow or are looking to supplement current income
Driver (Current Employee) –  Hackensack, NJJuly 8, 2016
This is a great and fun job. You get paid to drive people to various destinations. Get to meet a lot of fun people. It's not something I would like to do for a long time, but its a great job that helps you to maintain some cash flow whilst pursing what you are really looking for.
Pros
Freedom, Independence
Cons
Can be very tiring, work long hours to make a decent wage
Do not waste your time
Uber Driver (Current Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXJune 25, 2016
The only reason I took this position was to bring in extra money for my family after a upper management lay off. I can see all the ways this company manipulates it's employees. To the gas card that always has extra changes (that their engineers are working on) to 'bonuses' that are paid to drivers if they work certain hours for certain events. Of course once you go to look for your bonus, the 'engineers' were having some system problems and lost drive data. Sure they did. They didn't lose the fares though did they. The wear and tear on your car, person, insurance liability, and the knowing deep down that this company doesn't give one care about you, should have you running in the other direction.
Pros
Cons
poor pay, no support, lies about bonuses, extra fees on gas card.
Uber
Driver (Current Employee) –  TucsonJune 12, 2016
Doesn't pay well. Doesn't give riders option to tip. Shows surge areas but yet you don't get a requested ride. A new ride request comes in when you are already giving someone a ride, which is annoying and distracting and also doesn't take in account that the rider may be going back to the original pick up location. No option for a round trip ride.
Pros
Set your own schedule. You are your own boss.
Cons
Pay is not good. No option for riders to tip you. Surges but no requests
Fun but not a serious job for most people
Driver (Former Employee) –  Independence, MOMay 28, 2016
I enjoyed Uber. But the pay was very low most days. I could not make a living on it very easily. As one had no idea where any one person might be who needs a ride it was very driven by luck and not anything consistent. Also incentives to go to certain areas for greater pay would backfire when a surplus would show and no one requested randomly in the system your transportation.
Pros
One can make money at any time 24/7
Cons
Very difficult to find consistent riders
good job for a little side money
PROFESSIONAL DRIVER (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXMay 28, 2016
If your looking for something to do in spare time to earn some extra money uber is a somewhat decent job. most other drivers are friendly and helpful but some are just plain rude. driving for uber will put lots of ware in a vehicle and the possibility to have drunk people get sick in your vehicle.

but if this doesn't scare you away this may be the job for you
i also don't recommend this as a full-time job
Pros
very flexible work when you want
Cons
wear/tear on your vehicle, low pay, work/life balance
Tempting Job seems ok temporarily, but is fast track to Poverty
Driver (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAMay 27, 2016
The surge pricing is a joke- once you reach a surge area it disappears. Wear and Tear & Depreciation on your vehicle along with Uber's fees and taxes bring your hourly wage down to about $2.50 hr where I live in Seattle. If $2.50 hr is workable for you go for it! The only upside is meeting nice people and networking for a real job. Uber doesn't pay you enough to extend yourself beyond poverty.
Pros
Flexible Schedule, Networking
Cons
Very bad pay, dangerous job (40, 000 + deaths from auto accidents a year in this country).
Long hours and great customers
Driver/Laborer (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles County, CAMay 25, 2016
Meeting different people. Networking and views of the city I've never seen.
I learned what it means to become a self employed person.
I managed myself along with receiving leads for people that needed to travel safe and in a timely manner.
My co-workers traveled the city as I did.
The hardest part of the job, was not wanting to stop driving.
The most enjoyable part of the job was meeting new people.
Pros
Learning parts of the city, I've never seen.
Cons
Short breaks
Working for Uber
Driver (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMay 25, 2016
This job has its pros but has its cons as well. A typical work day consists of logging on to the app filling up the tank washing your car, and waiting for a request to come in. Long hours if you want to make a substantial living.
Pros
Flexibility, cash out money made at anytime, something to do on the side
Cons
No job advancement, wear and tear on your car, Safety and personal security, Costs of maintenance, Uber pushing you to maintain a rating and acceptance rates, questionable fares, they deactivate you without notice.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Uber Partner Drivers. Our community is ready to answer.

2.7