UC Davis Employee Reviews in United States

Great school to study and conduct research
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  UCD, CAJuly 31, 2016
Participate in research that may change how we understand biology and may produce an understanding of human cancer. Professors are great to work with and love to teach.
Learned a lot
Dashboard Design Specialist (Current Employee) –  Davis, CAJune 30, 2016
As a GSR or student worker, you can learn a lot. A lot of opportunities waiting for you because the university is focusing on improving both undergraduate and graduate education! GSR pay is good!
A great place to learn, meet new people, and gain experience which can lead you to new opportunities
Resident Advisor (Former Employee) –  Davis, CAJune 23, 2016
I loved my time at Davis. It is a great place where you can meet many intelligent individuals and learn many new skills. The environment is professional but fun and the people are generally quite friendly.
Pros
Nice people
Cons
Hard work, long days
Environment extremely conducive for high quality research
GRADUATE RESEARCHER (Current Employee) –  Davis, CAJune 18, 2016
High-class facilities and extremely intelligent and supportive colleagues alike promote healthy research atmosphere
I loved every single one of my coworkers and i miss them
Cook (Former Employee) –  Davis, CAJune 17, 2016
Working there was such a pleasure. I really wish I would have been hired on full time. I got along so well with my management and my co workers. I love everyone there. I am so sad that my time was cut so short and was not extended. I wish everyone the best! They were all very nice and patient and taught me a lot.
Pros
Free Food! Amazing co workers
Cons
Didn't like the health care plan.
great school with great athletic program
Student-Athlete (Former Employee) –  Davis, CAMay 4, 2016
loved playing d1 field hockey even though it was difficult at times. taught me self discipline and how to push through the tough times to get to the rewards.
Fun student experience
Graduate Student Researcher (Former Employee) –  Davis, CAApril 22, 2016
Nice place to live and work and have fun while studying.

I had the roles of

Graduate Student Researcher
• Conducted research in surface electromagnetic waves in nonlinear materials
• Created a mathematical model incorporating dispersion, damping, and nonlinearity
• Derived analytic results on the existence of solutions
• Modeled solutions using numerical methods in MATLAB
• Presented results to professors and peers, wrote up results for publication

Associate Instructor/Graduate Teaching Assistant
• Taught Partial Differential Equations, Linear Algebra, Numerical Analysis, and Calculus
• Communicated with teaching assistants and professors to meet and exceed deadlines
• Designed lectures, course syllabi, and exams
UC Davis Health System review
Analyst IV (Current Employee) –  Sacramento, CAApril 5, 2016
I love working for UC Davis Health System. I am fairly compensated, the benefits are great, there are plenty of paid holidays, and there are lots of wonderful people. It is a great place to work.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
It's pretty bureaucratic
Engineering Teacher Assistant (Former Employee) –  Davis, CAMarch 23, 2016
Taught students assembly language. Learned to work with students and their pace of learning. Learned to make material easier for students to understand.
Great job security, but very awful with promotion and fair wages.
Nutrition Educator (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CAFebruary 23, 2016
Currently working for UC Cooperative Extension's Nutrition Education Program.

Pros:
Work/Life balance is great
Working with your community on social issues that personally affect them
Local colleagues are great

Cons:
VERY low wages compared to the cost of living
Advancement is very unlikely even if yearly evaluations state you "exceed expectations"
Director and other higher ups don't seem to see anything wrong with low wages because the "health benefits are good"

I've been here for 5+ years and the system here is very broken when it comes to advancement and wages. They just changed all of our position descriptions last year and when I first started, my position required a BA or BS. Since the change, it just now requires "experience" with no educational background needed, rather it is "preferred." Seems like they did that so they can start at minimum wage (which is low in the first place). Educators along with most staff (besides our wonderful administration staff) are not represented, therefore no one supports us when it comes to fight for higher wages. Local work supervisors and directors have already fought for us for higher wages on multiple occasions, but their voices are just as small as ours and there for it is just brushed under the rug.

Most of us (including myself) have one or multiple part time jobs just to stay afloat. Some also receive SNAP (food stamp) and WIC benefits while working for this "higher education institution" that promotes "fair and adequate" compensation.

Best part of work are my colleague, families, and school communities
  more... with work with. They are the ONLY reason why most of us are still working with UCCE; because the families love the work we do and we love the communities we work with.

The turnover rate is starting to jump and I heard some supervisors worrying because when some of our colleagues retire, they may not have someone takeover because no one will accept the job and pay when competing organizations are offering $15K+ more.
Pros
job security, flexible schedule
Cons
Low wages, no overtime, lack of promotion, can't really speak your voice
It is a good learning experience to be a teaching assistant at UC Davis.
Teaching Assistant, (Former Employee) –  davisFebruary 9, 2016
I was a TA for Database Systems, Software Engineering and Programming Languages. It is a good learning experience to be a teaching assistant at UC Davis.
Good Company
Medical Records Clerk,Processing records request, (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CAJanuary 15, 2016
Busy office, opportunity for advancement , friendly people , great Doctors ,good Union, good communication with staff, challenging, on the job training, flexible positions
benefits
Cons
parking
Good Work Environment
Undergraduate Research Assistant and Researcher (Former Employee) –  Davis, CADecember 18, 2015
Great place to develop skills and research and has an overall good work environment. However, the almost no job work/life balance or compensation/benefits for students who are also working.
Always new and interesting cases
Registered Veterinary Technician (Former Employee) –  Davis, CADecember 15, 2015
A university job always comes with more politics. Majority of co-workers were great to work with, some management not so helpful. They had a big turn around in management. Was exposed to new equipment and surgery techniques.
Davis
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Davis, CADecember 9, 2015
Helping student with setting up there Wifi and other devices to there notebooks & Macs computers. At this campus many students needed help in setting up devices.
Highly motivatated and productive workplace
COMMUNICATIONS DIRECTOR (Current Employee) –  Davis, CAOctober 20, 2015
At Watershed Sciences, or, as we call it, “The Shed,” I have the privilege and joy of working closely with a highly productive, collegial and fun-loving interdisciplinary group of researchers. It’s not hyperbole to say they are relentlessly excited about their work helping policymakers and resource managers understand and solve California’s famously complex and controversial water problems – especially during the drought.
Pros
Working environment, collegiality
Cons
Unremarkable payscales, too much seat time at a computer
Learning professional and social interaction in a medical setting
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CAOctober 8, 2015
There was a best place to learn professional and social interaction in a medical setting. Fourth and fifth floor is Cardiovascular Intervention Telemetry, so doctors and nurses helped cardiac patients with penchant.
A productive and fun agile environment
QA/QC Analyst (Former Employee) –  Davis, CAOctober 1, 2015
I used manual and automated testing to test UC Davis/UC Wide risk management, occupational health and lab safety web applications. I also was a QA for the business intelligence team and tested Reports and dashboards.
Great Learning Experience
Research Assistant, Chair, Secondary Advisor (Former Employee) –  Davis, CASeptember 9, 2015
Working on campus at UC Davis was a great way to gain experience. I worked as a research assistant, Chair of a budget committee, and as an advisor for a debate club. Involvement on campus allowed me to explore many different career options.
Good to work at during School
Aggie Host Security (Former Employee) –  Davis, CASeptember 8, 2015
Doesn't pay much but a good place to work at while in school, meet people and make some money. Co-workers are also students so thats nice.

4.2