UC Davis

UC Davis Employer Reviews

Friendly work place
Patient Biller II (Former Employee), Sacramento, CAMarch 4, 2014
Pros: production complements and awards
Cons: favoritism
Learned a lot in billing inpatient,outpatient and managed care accounts.
Productive and fun workplace
Engineering Laboratory Technician (Former Employee), Davis, CAMarch 3, 2014
Great coworkers and superior staff. Productive meetings. Fostered a love of science. Learned a great deal.
a good place to work with benefit and life
Teaching Assistant(16 quarters) (Former Employee), Davis, CAMarch 1, 2014
I worked as a teaching assistant most of the time.
It was flexible but required a lot of work.
my co-TAs and professors are great in directing what to do.
Hardest part of the job is balancing teaching with research as a PhD student.
great benefits and zero commute
SENIOR DIRECTOR, CAREER DEVELOPMENT (Current Employee), Davis, CAFebruary 5, 2014
Pros: high level of engagement with employers and students
Cons: no bonus structure
the environment is super collaborative and engaging. so many brilliant ppl to work with and highly motivated students to help reach their career potential.
school
GSR TA (Current Employee), Davis CAJanuary 29, 2014
a good place for school. quiet safe and peaceful.
I can guarantee that the school in general has a very welcoming vibe. It's very spacious and relaxing, while the sea of park bikes will certainly be a new experience. The educational standards here are top caliber and there are a wide variety of rec opportunities.
Beautiful Environment
Post-Doc. (Former Employee), Davis, CAJanuary 15, 2014
Good School within small campus town. Nice biology related majors and engineering school.
Really a good experience working as a teaching assistant at UC Davis
Currently a teaching assistant in Mathematics (Former Employee), Davis, CADecember 19, 2013
I am a teaching assistant in Mathematics, which provides me daily opportunities to communicate with students, faculties and other teaching assistants.
Art Modeling Job
Art Model (Former Employee), Davis, CANovember 30, 2013
Pros: good pay. artistic environment.
Cons: hard on body.
A typical day at work as a model I would begin by asking the teacher and students what type of posture they desired to base their artwork on. Then I would pose up to 3 hours at a time maintaining the same position and tasteful pose. I would prepare by bringing equipment to help with the modeling session and arrive early to prepare equipment. I had wonderful – more... co-workers, who worked hard too. The management was fairly organized. The hardest part of the job was holding the same pose for multiple sessions due to cramping. The most enjoyable part of the job was seeing the beautiful artwork created at the end of the session. – less
Help Desk
Programmer II (Current Employee), Davis, CANovember 6, 2013
I find the information technology field fascinating and I bring a unique combination of skills

that I feel make me an excellent candidate for the Programmer III position. In the past year I

have become a fully trained and functional member of the ITX team. The basic skills for this

job that I have learned includes how to navigate and program in the – more... UNIX based system Mothra,

Remedy, Pinnacle, Map tool, MyUCD Davis portal, SmartSite, the NOC privatehd tool and

XBase. I have learned to how troubleshoot the campus wired and wireless networks, voicemail

and phone system. I have learned how to troubleshoot the different e-mail systems such as

Geckomail, DavisMail, uConnect as well as increase quotas for Geckomail and uConnect. In fact

I have learned so many new things that it is possible they are not all listed here.

I have become a subject matter expert in Abuse and specifically the DMCA process. I have

learned how to process DMCA infringement notices for residential Ethernet cases, wireless

cases and departmental cases. I have learned how to process DMCA shutdown requests and user

reactivations. I have also learned how to identify, target and shutdown rogue DHCP servers and

users who run static IPs. The Abuse team functions with a degree of independence within in ITX

and this requires a higher level of decision making and teamwork between myself and my fellow

Abuse coworker. I believe we have found a good way to help each other when it is needed.

I have been an integral part of improving the efficiency of several scripts that are used in the

DMCA process. By communicating our specific needs to a programmer I was able to combine

a several step process into a single step process in more than one area of the Abuse process.

This not only took intimate knowledge of how the Abuse process works but it also drew on my

own skills as a programmer in order to identify what could be improved given the tools at our

disposal. Overall by using 10 to 20 hours of a programmer’s time we have saved hundreds of

hours of work time that can now be applied to other subjects or clients.

I have become a subject matter expert in uConnect. This allows me to solve specific problems

not everyone on the IT Express team can answer, and this makes me a valuable and contributing

member of IT Express. I have learned how to manage the uConnect Admin list, and how to

administrate mailbox creation, modify quotas, administrate DaFIS billing codes, edit SMTP

addresses, department codes, and how to disable mailboxes. I have also taken it upon myself to

educate the uConnect Tier 1 Administrators who are not as well informed as their peers. This has

improved the efficiency of the process which will eventuality lead to less requests on our end,

freeing up our time to help other users and work on other projects. – less
Good experience
Volunteer Lab Assistant/Tutor in Microbiology (Former Employee), Davis, CASeptember 25, 2013
Pros: able to interact with college students and professors
Cons: volunteer work
As a tutor, my responsibilities include assisting students in identifying different types of bacteria, maintaining a safe and clean laboratory area, prepping growth cultures before laboratory begins, and storing growth cultures in temperature controlled rooms for optimal growth.
College Job for as a production and event lead for the UC Davis Ballroom and Pavilion.
Event Technician Supervisor (Former Employee), Davis, CASeptember 16, 2013
Pros: leadership experience
Cons: part time position, little opportunity for growth
-Led production crews and event staff for events ranging from small conference club meetings to large concert events and UC Davis graduation.
- I learned how to effectively manage a group of my colleagues.
- Younger professionals that were enjoyable to work with.
- My colleagues were college students with varying degrees of professionalism.
- The hardest – more... part of my job was adjusting to a merger between the production staff and event staff. I was one of the few promoted to a lead position to help with the transition.
- The most enjoyable part of my job was that it provided an organization I was a part of on campus. – less
Great school to help begin my career path
Member Service Assistant (Current Employee), Davis, CASeptember 11, 2013
Pros: free membership into the facility
Cons: benefits are limited
UC Davis was a great place to begin working towards my career position. A typical day consists of constant face-to-face interactions and a high energy environment. I've learned what it means to patrons and customers to have quality customer service. The management listens to our needs and concerns and helps us accordingly. The hardest part of the job – more... usually is the lack of hours. We are all constantly seeking more hours to work. The most enjoyable part of the job is the daily interactions we have with our patrons. – less
cafeteria in good working place
Volunteer- Cardiovascular Support Unit (Current Employee), Sacramento, CASeptember 3, 2013
working in this company is very good,I learned a lot of skills,management was good,co-workers was fine,hardest part of the job was less work for me,enjoyable was learning in health care
rich in intellectual resources
Postdoctoral Researcher (Former Employee), Davis, CAAugust 22, 2013
It is an enjoyable workplace for scholars. Lots of talents. And very productive colleagues. Seminars are excellent as well.
Autonomous Job
Audio-Visual Technician (Current Employee), Davis, CAAugust 21, 2013
Pros: easy, flexible hours
Cons: low wage, low hours, repetitive
I worked for Academic Technology Services which maintained classroom devices such as projectors and media devices.
Coworkers and I operated with a high level of autonomy on a daily basis where we went from room to room checking for problems.
Most skills required were very basic and were picked up easily.
My boss was quite skilled and enjoyable to work – more... with. However, upper management was another story. – less
Great School
Graduate Student Research (Current Employee), Davis, CAAugust 17, 2013
Nice environment
Flexible working time
organized program and laboratory
UC Davis
Undergraduate Researcher (Former Employee), Davis, CAAugust 10, 2013
The isolation and characterization of unknown soil enteric.
• Experienced in researching and identifying unknown bacteria by using different biochemical tests (KOH, Oxidase, O/F tube, IMViC, DSI Slant, Motility Agar, ALO tube, and API strip)
Graduate Student in Physics Department
Graduate Student Researcher (Former Employee), Davis, CAAugust 7, 2013
I experienced a generally supportive faculty, from classes to research. Funding for research was always tight.
Great place to work, great people
Lab Technician (Former Employee), Davis, CAAugust 3, 2013
Pros: diverse, fun, great people
Cons: long hours, low funding, not much room to work your way up
Started at 8 and would usually get coffee if nobody showed up. I would wait for someone to arrive so I could assist them with their research projects. Co-workers were always goal oriented and alway in need of help (but never rude). The most enjoyable part of the job was meeting new, diverse people almost every day. The hardest part of the job was having – more... to work long hours on a hot summer day in the field. – less
It was okay but training was bad
Receptionist (Former Employee), Sacramento, CAAugust 2, 2013
I like the company as a whole but the department that I worked in had to many people coming and going out of positions. Because of the constant transfering around there was never enough training given to new employees.