UC San Diego Health System Employee Reviews

Best job ever
Respiratory Therapist Assistant (Former Employee) –  La Jolla, CAApril 4, 2017
I enjoyed working for UCSD more than any other job that I have had. I would have loved to finish my career here. Everyone is enjoyable, the atmosphere is friendly, and the moral is wonderful.
time off flexibility is good; management isn't.
Clinical Trials Regulatory Research Associate (Current Employee) –  La Jolla, CAMarch 6, 2017
There is a lot to be said for management and training - there isn't much of it. The lack of professionalism at the supervisory level is a bit ridiculous.
Pros
Time off is good
Started better than it ended
Front Desk Coordinator / Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  La Jolla, CADecember 9, 2016
I worked in one UCSD clinic for over four years. At first, it was great, but as our patient numbers increased, our ability to keep up with demand decreased. Before I left (to relocate for family; I didn't quit), every day was stressful, and my coworkers and I were over worked and over stressed.
Pros
Excellent health benefits for full time; competitive pay
Cons
Understaffing; employees often have to pay for parking
OK Place to work
Hospital Laboratory Technician III (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAJuly 11, 2016
Work culture needs improvement. Do not feel solid connection or understanding with management. Pretty good job security but little possibility for advancement. Compensation and benefits are pretty good for previous union contract.
Very supportive management/ excellent place to work
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CADecember 19, 2015
Worked with the COD program in Hillcrest. Excellent place to work. Excellent company to work for. They care. They listen.
Pros
Union, pay, 1 hour lunch, team attitude
Challenging and Diverse
Hospital Lab Tech Supervisor (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAOctober 23, 2015
Enjoy the work environment and challenges. Interaction and networking with peers and collaboration on projects. Good benefits and retirement program.
Non-competitive wages, high stress
Project Manager (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAMay 11, 2015
Your experience with this company will most definately differ depending on the department you work in. Unfortunately for me, my particular department has a well earned and well known reputation as a difficult department. I would say that the cause of this bad reputation is due to the department being severly understaffed and overworked. Managements insistance in paying well below average salaries coupled with non-replacement of individuals who have left the department has resulted in most employees in the department feeling stressed out and under appreciated. On a positive note, UCSD does have some good benefits including health benefits, and a Christmas breakfast/lunch.

be prepared to pay a monthly parking fee (currently $81.00) if you plan on working at either the La Jolla or Hillcrest locations.
Pros
Good Health benefits
Cons
Low wages, long hours, poor management
Food Service Worker position
Food Service Worker (Former Employee) –  HillcrestFebruary 12, 2015
Horrible place to work! The manager when I worked there was so nice but the supervisor as he called himself who was from somewhere in Africa was such an ace, his little dishwashers were so lazy! I told the manager I was sorry to quit.

Workers were giving food to Nurses so they could bring in the hugh push carts and collect the trays from the patients. When I worked there I was told that the work was easy, not so, I did not give food to these nurses.

The Union stepped in to help the African guy get the manager fired, so wrong. I saw the African guy a couple years ago on the bus and he told me he was the Supervisor who got the manager fired, not right at all. That's why people continue to quit there jobs in the kitchen.

They need to do a through investigation on who does what there.

A great Company but under a crooked supervisor, there needs to be changes there.
Pros
Union Benefits, medical, dental, retirement benefits
Cons
The work schedule is set up all wrong.

Comment – April 1, 2015

The Supervisor needs to get fired, troublemaker I suppose.

Job is great… if you have the right manager, otherwise it can be a headache
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  La Jolla, CAFebruary 3, 2015
Advancement can be competitive, most depts favor spanish speaking individuals, most administrative positions require you to speak Spanish. Here you are (highly qualified, educated with many years of experience) and they will choose the person that speaks Spanish with no education, very little experience, rude and unreliable.

Management can have a high level of backstabbing and dishonesty, won't hesitate to throw you under the bus just to save their own career.
benefits
Cons
poor management, difficult co-workers
Director of Clinical Operations, Surgery (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CANovember 20, 2014
Love my job, very fulfilling, and the organization is fantastic to work for.
Pros
Helping patients
Cons
not enough time in the day to get things done
Difficult Place to Work
Administrative Specialist (Former Employee) –  East Campus Office BuildingOctober 8, 2014
My former boss is on her 8th admin in 2 years. Coworkers were great but management was poor.
Pros
Nice coworkers
Cons
Have to pay $80/month to park, campus is very spread out, they have shuttles but shuttles will add an hour to your meeting time, Van pool was already full and not likely to get an opening or another one
UCSD - Lifesharing
Executive Assistant (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJune 27, 2014
Working with Lifesharing was an incredible experience due to the people who were on staff. Their mission is unique being only one of 48 Organ Procurement Organizations in the U.S. Their mission, like all OPOs is admirable and made my time there worthwhile. Overall, working at UCSD was a very rewarding experience.
Pros
Excellent retirement program.
Exciting and Fun Place to Work
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAMay 2, 2013
A typical day is calendar scheduling, prepapring for upcoming meeting. The management is good and fair and my co-workers are really cool. We are like family. The hardest part of my job is not being sucessful or reaching my daily goals. Sometimes things come up when you work in a Medical facility. The part of my job that I enjoy the most is everyday i learn somethig new.
Pros
Celebrate Each Other

Ask a question about working or interviewing at UC San Diego Health System. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8