UC San Diego Employee Reviews

Toxic Workplace!
Contractor (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJanuary 25, 2017
Worked here on temp assignment as a contractor, observed tenured management as behind the times with new technology changes, out of touch with reality, out of date information systems, many of the staff employees have tenured and are not receptive to changes. Very frustrating workplace culture, people assigned roles with authority of which they are not qualified, many hired to boost diversity, inclusion and equality quotas, not hired for positions because of their background or work experience, not a happy place to work, too much negative energy and nervous managers who play the blame game on others.
Pros
Worked here as a contractor, I don't work here anymore!
Cons
Back stabbing coworkers, Toxic manager, you will pay to park your car on campus, limited parking spaces
Literature Department - Yuck!
Staff (Former Employee) –  La JollaNovember 28, 2016
Terrible, terrible micromanagement (too much, and decisions that are made for you are terrible!) The waste of money is blinding, and yet staff haven't seen a raise in years. Department and Manager both have terrible reputations -- ask any staff that has left. No job security, No HR support.
Pros
Close to "price center"; you get to go to the Zoo for the Staff Retreat.
Cons
Manager, parking is expensive and hard to find.
UCSD Heath ICT Department
Technical Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  La Jolla, CANovember 3, 2016
Not sure about UCSD as a whole, but the ICT Team (Information and Communication Technology Team) is horribly managed! They offer competitive pay and benefits, but there's lots of "office politics" with little room for advancement. Most of the employees are unhappy, but they stay there for the benefits. Not a very positive environment.
Pros
Pension, Decent Pay
Cons
Poorly managed
Fun project
Student Satisfaction Survey Marketing Intern (Former Employee) –  La Jolla, CAMarch 18, 2017
I had a good time working on the project we were assigned, which was marketing the annual Student Satisfaction Survey. I learned a lot about marketing and project management.
Pros
Fun project
Cons
Not enough team members
Good job but management sucks!
Administrative Analyst (Current Employee) –  La Jolla, CANovember 25, 2016
Job is good but management is terrible. They do a lot of promoting within but that doesn't mean they are good for management. To much do what I say or else even though some jobs are union base.
Quality employer
Manager (Current Employee) –  La Jolla, CAOctober 4, 2016
I have spent my entire professional career working at UCSD in various positions in Information Technology.

UCSD is a diverse environment that treats its workers with respect. The learning environment extends to employees as well as students. Work/life balance is good.
Horrible management
Current employee (Current Employee) –  Main campusAugust 28, 2016
No room for growth. Management does whatever they want and treats employees horribly. Be careful what department you are in. Only good thing is the benefits.
Benefits
Cons
Everything else. Treated horribly with no responsibility for their actions
It is a good place to strat with.
Postdoctoral researcher (Current Employee) –  La Jolla, CAOctober 6, 2016
There are lots of opportunities to conduct research in different areas. You meet many interesting people, scientific environment is extremely fulfilling.
UCSD is a good research institute overall.
Postdoctoral researcher (Current Employee) –  La Jolla, CASeptember 15, 2016
UCSD is a good research institute overall. You meet lots of interesting people, and do research in the fast changing areas of science and engineering.
best place to work
Food Service Worker (Former Employee) –  La Jolla, CAJune 23, 2016
i really enjoy working in one of the best places to work in san diego
ucsd also one if the best hospitals in the us working at ucsd is the best experience i ever have ,the supervisor were the best
everyone work as a team.
patients always come first
Pros
employee of the month
Excellent
Medical Assistant (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAAugust 5, 2016
I love patient care experience. Staff very friendly and having union at UCSD protects our job. Being a float made me obtain experience in every department available at University of California, San Diego
Highly Professional, Always Interesting
Liaison (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAAugust 8, 2016
I loved my time working at UC San Diego. There was always something innovative and new to work on. My coworkers were kind and professional.
Solid benefits, interesting work, heavy bureaucracy
Sound and Video Supervisor (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAApril 25, 2016
UCSD is a huge place with many jobs. The benefits are unusually good in these times, but have changed for recent hires from what I have - there is still defined pension plan but it is less than it used to be.
Pros
Health care, pension
Cons
Bureaucracy
Interesting work, casual environment.
Researcher (Current Employee) –  La Jolla, CAMarch 25, 2016
I find the work fulfilling and interesting, and I enjoy the company of my coworkers. Typical day can involve writing papers for a conference, conducting experiments, or building prototypes. Our manager is just and rewards hard work. Everyday I learn something new.
Pros
Flexible Hours, Social Events
Cons
Low pay
Professional, efficient and full of opportunities
Post Doctoral Researcher (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAJanuary 21, 2016
UCSD is a great place to work. The typical day starts with a walk from the bus stop to the lab and I love seeing other enthusiastic people walking along. Multitasking is on my mind while I am walking thinking about what I have to do. I have learnt new techniques, made friends and developed as a person. Everyone at UCSD is very helpful. Ocean is very near to UCSD campus and can be easily reached by bus! There are many good scientific talks and symposiums at UCSD.
Pros
multicultural opportunities, many workshops
Cons
finding parking is not easy
Most difficult place to work for
HDH (Former Employee) –  San DiegoFebruary 22, 2016
The benefits are GREAT, but management is awful. They need to train more or hire people with experience.
My co workers were great people to work with but the management was awful.
I loved working with people and the people who came into put department were students and parents. They were great.
Cons
fun place to work with good people
Temporary Employment Services (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAJanuary 2, 2016
naked juice great place great coworkers good pay enjoyed working there cool boss flexible schedule. sea world met a lot of good people good pay liked my bosses some times flexible schedule. dinos soda bar was my first job close to home in school learned a lot pay was good enjoyed it for the short time i was there
Pros
free lunch flexible schedule
Cons
health care management advancement
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  La Jolla, CAMarch 15, 2016
Working at UCSD has been a great experience. It is a good place to learn how its like being in the real-world at a miniature level, which is a good stepping stone towards working in the industry.
It's a grind to get progress
Production Manager (Current Employee) –  La Jolla, CAOctober 30, 2015
It's an institution that moves at a glacial pace. Politics run rapid and it really depends on who you know here. The students are usually the only reason why you would want to come and work here. They keep you young and at the same time make you feel old. So much energy and also so much entitlement. The focus is really on what the Jacob's want to pay money for. Not much else. It's their school.
Pros
pension
Cons
pay
Detailed oriented facility dedicated to the highest of patient quality care
Administrative Assistant II (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CADecember 2, 2015
I loved working at UCSD and most of my co-workers. I had an amazing supervisor and I worked with incredible physicians. I would love to go back!
Pros
Pride in quality
Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at UC San Diego. Our community is ready to answer.

UC San Diego Reviews by Location