UC San Diego Employee Reviews

fun place to work with good people
Temporary Employment Services (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAJanuary 2, 2016
naked juice great place great coworkers good pay enjoyed working there cool boss flexible schedule. sea world met a lot of good people good pay liked my bosses some times flexible schedule. dinos soda bar was my first job close to home in school learned a lot pay was good enjoyed it for the short time i was there
Pros
free lunch flexible schedule
Cons
health care management advancement
Detailed oriented facility dedicated to the highest of patient quality care
Administrative Assistant II (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CADecember 2, 2015
I loved working at UCSD and most of my co-workers. I had an amazing supervisor and I worked with incredible physicians. I would love to go back!
Pros
Pride in quality
Cons
It's a grind to get progress
Production Manager (Current Employee) –  La Jolla, CAOctober 30, 2015
It's an institution that moves at a glacial pace. Politics run rapid and it really depends on who you know here. The students are usually the only reason why you would want to come and work here. They keep you young and at the same time make you feel old. So much energy and also so much entitlement. The focus is really on what the Jacob's want to pay money for. Not much else. It's their school.
Pros
pension
Cons
pay
great educational and research university
Assistant Professor (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAOctober 18, 2015
Great work place for permanent positions. There are multiple opportunities for professional growth. The environment at the UC San Diego is nurturing for student and young faculty.
not bad
Project Member, Rover Team Project (Current Employee) –  ucsdOctober 13, 2015
people are nice kind and friendly, I learnt a lot of skills about arduino.
The hardest part of intern is making.sasdasdasdsadasdsadas
Laid back, campus atmosphere
Program Representative - Contractor (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CASeptember 23, 2015
Solid employer, good security and retirement. Parking, traffic and commute is brutal. Excellent reputation. Always hiring, tough to get in to. Suggest workshop presented twice a year, How to get hired at UCSD".
Top places to work!!
Program Rep (Current Employee) –  La Jolla, CAJuly 16, 2015
The total package - great benefits, nearly unlimited opportunity to advance or move laterally. Educational environment supports innovation and out-of-the-box thinking.
Pros
Campus environment
Cons
parking
Productive and Engaging Learning Experience
Financial Advisor Intern (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAMay 30, 2015
This was a fantastic place to learn, grow and build connections. I've learned that networking is the key to success.Fantastic. Overall Amazing Place To Work.
Great job opportunity for students
Student employee (Current Employee) –  La Jolla, CAMay 28, 2015
I worked at housing, dining, hospitality services at UC San Diego for about two and a half years. I feel like working at the markets is a great job for college students who need some experience. Working here helped me develop as an individual and it was nice to work with a diverse group of people.
Pros
Perq, diversity
Cons
unequal work throughout different markets but same pay in every market
Cutting edge research in a beautiful campus enviroment
Graduate Student Researcher (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAMay 4, 2015
Researchers work around the clock; normally beyond normal working hours. Work is extremely challenging, and the camp provide supportive, culturally rich environment.
Pros
Many high-end facilities and venues are available for the well being of the people on campus.
Cons
Budget is fragile, and stongly coupled to state/goverment support
Loved Working here
Manager, Corporate Relations (Former Employee) –  La Jolla, CAMarch 20, 2015
One of the best employers I've ever had the pleasure of working for. Lots of training opportunities and a very supportive network of colleagues as well.
Human Resources (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAMarch 2, 2015
Great place to work. Only downfall is that they don't have free parking for staff. It is 81 dollars a month to park. Most people here love their job. I would recommend working here.
Pros
the people
Cons
staff has to pay for parking
Bias, hardly any breaks
Programmer Analyst 4 and builder (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CANovember 11, 2014
Depending which team and Supervisor your under with, makes the big difference. Bias culture. The Supervisor was too conservative and too protective to handle a high tech robust Epic systems. Too afraid to go outside comfort zone and was a struggle to work with her.
Pros
the benefits is the least of all ucs.
Cons
seldom has lunch breaks
Good work for students, especially for international grad-students
Teaching Assistant/Tutor (Former Employee) –  La Jolla, CASeptember 23, 2014
Must be extremely patient, some students are really "fresh" and need tiny baby steps.
Stable job with great benefits
Staff Research Associate (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJune 2, 2014
The best thing about working at the University is the benefits. The pay is so-so, but they make up for it with great insurance and retirement benefits. They have everything covered: health, dental, vision, legal, life, disability, I'm sure I'm forgetting something because the list is so long. They provide health insurance once retired for myself and my spouse. And if I die before my spouse, he will keep getting retirement pay and health coverage without me.

It is also hard to get fired or laid off. Being in research, we ran out of grant money and my boss had to lay me off. It was easy to move internally within the University to another research position. I did not go a single day without work.

As far as work environment, it is hit and miss. Each group is compartmentalized with their own "boss" and staff. They each have a different way of doing things. This can be good or bad. Also, with the University being so large and spread out, it can be hard to get to know people.
Pros
benefits, retirement, stable
Cons
pay, work enviornment
love working at the unversity
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAMarch 25, 2014
I have learned a lot in each department. I enjoy working with customer service.
Diverse
Volunteer Researcher (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAFebruary 28, 2014
As a Ta :

I learned how to communicate with people, improve my speaking skills . How to manage little projects for students

As a Researcher:

The most valuable thing I learned was how to deal with conflict when the lab members had different opinions on an issue. I also learned how to be independent and do things on my own at times when members were not interested in doing their part in a project completely.
Productive and a great environment to learn and grow.
Marketing Assistant (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAFebruary 20, 2014
The University of California, San Diego is a great place to work, the ability to learn while actually preforming job functions. Collaboration with other departments and co-workers was highly encouraged and effective. Introducing new ideas was received with support and guidelines to bring the ideas to reality.
Clinical (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAFebruary 17, 2014
This is a great place to work. They provide continued education, they are supportive
Great work environment.
OFFICE OF THE REGISTRAR (Former Employee) –  La Jolla, CAFebruary 10, 2014
A typical day at work consisted of assisting students, staff, and parents with any questions related to enrollment and registration. I was able to multitask by handling a multiple lines and incoming students. I was also able to assist other staff members in the office with any ongoing special projects. I learned that going above and beyond will get you far and also help you present a great image of the entire university as a whole.
Pros
friendly and supportive staff, flexibility in scheduling