UC Santa Cruz Employee Reviews

Fun place to work
Head Lifeguard (Current Employee) –  Santa Cruz, CAMay 2, 2017
I absolutely love working at the pool. This job offers a perfect balance between school and employment. My coworkers make every day on the job a pleasure.
Beautiful
Preventive Maintenance Manager (Former Employee) –  Santa Cruz, CAApril 21, 2017
The campus is beautiful and provides many opportunities for great jobs. The people are great to work with and the coffee shops are the best. Truly a fine institution.
Fun laboratory environment.
Microprocessor System Design Lab Tutor (Former Employee) –  Santa Cruz, CAMarch 22, 2017
The job was to be a tutor inside the lab for the class. Some days were slow, others were packed with work depending on how many students showed up and how many questions they had. Everyday was great though. Also graded work for the class.
Good experience
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Santa Cruz, CAMarch 7, 2017
I was able to teach migrant worker children how to read and write in English, which was their second language. I was also in charge of a group of 10 tutors and write reports to our supervisors on what went on during a typical day at work.
Excellent Engineering School
Graduate Student Researcher (Current Employee) –  Santa Cruz, CAJanuary 27, 2017
The Engineering school, although young, is very adaptive and the professors are very understanding. It offers great work/life balance as a researcher and there are many networking opportunities with the silicon valley on the other side of the hills.
Pros
Innovation, environment, work-life balance
Cons
Funding, competition
School Job
Student Life Intern & Intramural Sports Official (Former Employee) –  Santa Cruz, CAJuly 15, 2016
Great Job while in school, I love my University they take great care of you, It was very fun and flexible. Great experience. The people who run the show really do a great job.
Pros
everything
Student run organization
Event Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Santa Cruz, CAApril 6, 2016
I participated as a member, secretary, and choreographer.
My peers were all great and a pleasure to work alongside with.
I learned what it takes to keep an organization up and running, budgeting, fundraising, etc.
I worked in a research laboratory on the Campus of UC Santa Cruz while I attended school there.
Laboratory Assistant (Former Employee) –  Santa Cruz, CAJanuary 31, 2016
Primarily this was a place to make a little money between classes and studying. A major benefit to the job was working among academic professional and the tutorage they can provide. I was also able to do an independent study project, within the lab, and produce a data set that was added to a graduate level work to be presented at a scientific conference.
Pros
convenience to being a student at the college
Cons
A short term college job
Undergrad labs to start your carrer
Semiconductor Laboratory Assistant (Former Employee) –  Santa Cruz, CANovember 4, 2015
Do interesting research on cutting edge technology with some of the brightest in the industry. UCSC SCIPP is a powerhouse of particle physics. Learn from experts with opportunity to travel to conferences.
Pros
Great leadership. Friendly professors
Cons
No benefits. Low pay.
The Seymour Center is one of the most friendlies places I've have ever worked
Volunteer Coordinator Assistant (Former Employee) –  Santa Cruz, CAJuly 2, 2015
Supervisors and managers are very outgoing and friendly. The place is full of awesome volunteers who would not hesitate to talk to you.

Want to know more about UC Santa Cruz?

Ask a question
Easy going atmosphere
Administrative Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Santa Cruz, CAApril 22, 2015
I enjoyed working at the front desk. It was a relaxing environment where I got to interact with different customers every day- mainly students.
Pros
Short hours, easy to balance with school
Cons
Short hours, minimum wage pay
Great institution to work
Program Instructor (Current Employee) –  Santa Clara, CAFebruary 24, 2015
Provides a great environment and educational program for students and professionals to excel in science and technology programs.
Professionals, both Faculty and our Grads--focused and detail oriented
Administrative Assistant II (Former Employee) –  Santa Cruz, CAFebruary 23, 2015
I loved working at UCSC, EPS Department.

Being the go to girl was a pleasure. Working with our Faculty and Grads, being the person they relied on to ship important samples. Scan articles, as well as booking travel for our seminar hosts was a blast.

I especially loved working cross functional with purchasing / shipping and local business to provide exceptional support to my team.
Pros
working with professionals
Cons
parking fee's
fun
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Santa Cruz, CAJanuary 1, 2015
I enjoyed working with students and faculty learning new things about computer science and statistics. The students were fun to work with and so was the faculty. I especially enjoyed learning about Bayesian statistics.
Pros
beautiful campus
Interactive and supportive community, received very comprehensive first glimpse of academic research
Undergraduate Researcher (Former Employee) –  Santa Cruz, CAOctober 28, 2014
It depends on the lab you choose and the PI of that lab, but my lab in the microbiology department was a very small, and therefore intimate community. At that time, core facilities were limited, so you had to make sure you signed up for equipment and machines ahead of time.
Good learning experience
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Santa Cruz, CASeptember 19, 2014
I learned a lot at UC Santa Cruz but I'm ready to get out into the working would and build something practical.
Management doesn`t have clue
Assistant Director (Current Employee) –  Santa CruzFebruary 23, 2014
There is no training. Management is out of touch with employee needs. Lots of verbal abuse and bullying.......

There are problem managers and the executive won`t deal with them - lots of people leave and the executives don`t know why.
Pros
Can`t think of any
Grad School is Hard Work
Graduate Researcher (Current Employee) –  Santa Cruz, CAFebruary 14, 2014
Long hours with low pay compensation. Especially hard to find time to complete research when having to perform as a TA on top of thesis work.
Great place with good network
Academic Excellence Program Student (Former Employee) –  Santa Cruz, CASeptember 25, 2013
The program promotes educational enrichment and diversity for science, technology, engineering and math majors. Program members have the opportunity to study collaboratively amongst their peers and learn through teamwork and leadership
Pros
Great program
Cons
Casual workplace with fun incentives
Telephone Outreach Program Caller (Former Employee) –  Santa Cruz, CAApril 3, 2013
A typical workday consisted of the student supervisors briefly telling student employees what the goals are and any prizes that will be rewarded to students who were exemplary. Students get on the phones for two hours and get a break. After break, students hop back on the phone for another round of calls. I learned to not let people who are having a bad day get to me, such as a mean person on the phone. My co-workers made work more enjoyable because they were all students that went to UCSC--we all had something to relate to. The hardest part of the job was dealing with angry people on the phone.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at UC Santa Cruz. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9