UC Santa Cruz Employee Reviews in United States

Undergrad labs to start your carrer
Semiconductor Laboratory Assistant (Former Employee) –  Santa Cruz, CANovember 4, 2015
Do interesting research on cutting edge technology with some of the brightest in the industry. UCSC SCIPP is a powerhouse of particle physics. Learn from experts with opportunity to travel to conferences.
Pros
Great leadership. Friendly professors
Cons
No benefits. Low pay.
Student run organization
Event Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Santa Cruz, CAApril 6, 2016
I participated as a member, secretary, and choreographer.
My peers were all great and a pleasure to work alongside with.
I learned what it takes to keep an organization up and running, budgeting, fundraising, etc.
The Seymour Center is one of the most friendlies places I've have ever worked
Volunteer Coordinator Assistant (Former Employee) –  Santa Cruz, CAJuly 2, 2015
Supervisors and managers are very outgoing and friendly. The place is full of awesome volunteers who would not hesitate to talk to you.
Grad School is Hard Work
Graduate Researcher (Current Employee) –  Santa Cruz, CAFebruary 14, 2014
Long hours with low pay compensation. Especially hard to find time to complete research when having to perform as a TA on top of thesis work.
Professionals, both Faculty and our Grads--focused and detail oriented
Administrative Assistant II (Former Employee) –  Santa Cruz, CAFebruary 23, 2015
I loved working at UCSC, EPS Department.

Being the go to girl was a pleasure. Working with our Faculty and Grads, being the person they relied on to ship important samples. Scan articles, as well as booking travel for our seminar hosts was a blast.

I especially loved working cross functional with purchasing / shipping and local business to provide exceptional support to my team.
Pros
working with professionals
Cons
parking fee's
Easy going atmosphere
Administrative Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Santa Cruz, CAApril 22, 2015
I enjoyed working at the front desk. It was a relaxing environment where I got to interact with different customers every day- mainly students.
Pros
Short hours, easy to balance with school
Cons
Short hours, minimum wage pay
Low Pay with Mucho Stress
Service Worker (Former Employee) –  CampusMarch 2, 2013
As one of the few employers in the beautiful county of Santa Cruz, UCSC can afford to pay their employees below market value wages. Employee beware! If you start at a low wage, you should anticipate on staying at that wage for awhile, because UC does not give yearly cost of living increases. Wage increases must be bargained for through your union. As far as working conditions are concerned, mucho stress. The campus has grown over the years; however the number of employees hired to meet the growth has decreased due to budget cuts and managers salaries.
Pros
largest employer in santa cruz
Cons
low pay and poor working conditions
Management doesn`t have clue
Assistant Director (Current Employee) –  Santa CruzFebruary 23, 2014
There is no training. Management is out of touch with employee needs. Lots of verbal abuse and bullying.......

There are problem managers and the executive won`t deal with them - lots of people leave and the executives don`t know why.
Pros
can`t think of any
Casual workplace with fun incentives
Telephone Outreach Program Caller (Former Employee) –  Santa Cruz, CAApril 3, 2013
A typical workday consisted of the student supervisors briefly telling student employees what the goals are and any prizes that will be rewarded to students who were exemplary. Students get on the phones for two hours and get a break. After break, students hop back on the phone for another round of calls. I learned to not let people who are having a bad day get to me, such as a mean person on the phone. My co-workers made work more enjoyable because they were all students that went to UCSC--we all had something to relate to. The hardest part of the job was dealing with angry people on the phone.
Interactive and supportive community, received very comprehensive first glimpse of academic research
Undergraduate Researcher (Former Employee) –  Santa Cruz, CAOctober 28, 2014
It depends on the lab you choose and the PI of that lab, but my lab in the microbiology department was a very small, and therefore intimate community. At that time, core facilities were limited, so you had to make sure you signed up for equipment and machines ahead of time.
Great institution to work
Program Instructor (Current Employee) –  Santa Clara, CAFebruary 24, 2015
Provides a great environment and educational program for students and professionals to excel in science and technology programs.
fun
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Santa Cruz, CAJanuary 1, 2015
I enjoyed working with students and faculty learning new things about computer science and statistics. The students were fun to work with and so was the faculty. I especially enjoyed learning about Bayesian statistics.
Pros
beautiful campus
Great place with good network
Academic Excellence Program Student (Former Employee) –  Santa Cruz, CASeptember 25, 2013
The program promotes educational enrichment and diversity for science, technology, engineering and math majors. Program members have the opportunity to study collaboratively amongst their peers and learn through teamwork and leadership
Pros
great program
Good learning experience
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Santa Cruz, CASeptember 19, 2014
I learned a lot at UC Santa Cruz but I'm ready to get out into the working would and build something practical.
Not the place for those with lives.
Human Resources Partner (Former Employee) –  Santa Cruz, CAMay 20, 2011
In Staff Human Resources, you are expected to do more with less. If you are able to do more, you are not rewarded for your ability.

Rather, you are punished because you make your boss look bad.

Be careful.
Data-entering for Professor who studies paleoecology
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Santa Cruz, CASeptember 19, 2012
I have plenty of work to do here, flexible hours, and good experience is gained by searching for fossil size data throughout hundreds of articles and entering the information, accurately, into an online database.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at UC Santa Cruz. Our community is ready to answer.