UCSD Medical Center

UCSD Medical Center Employee Reviews in United States

Difficult enviroment
Patient Biller III (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAMay 5, 2016
This office is not an optimal environment. Department goals are not met by the majority of staff. Long time staff do not welcome change or new employees that meet the standards, this created an uncomfortable work environment. UCSD Human resources does not assist in resolution and does not back up the UCSD harassment policy.
Pros
Great pay - Great benefits
Cons
unprofessional management
The climate can be hostile
Clinical Care Partner (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJuly 9, 2015
The culture climate can be hostile and very selective about who they accept. a lot of politics and games are going on with the upper management.
Pros
great benifits
Cons
Culture dysfunction
Professional office
Patient Biller III (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAAugust 3, 2015
UCSD Medical Center is a professional office with high standards. My co-workers are very pleasant and helpful. Management is supportive and goal oriented.
Pros
Fantastic co-workers
Cons
I am a temporary employee without benefits.
A good place to work.Benefits and retirement is super.
Lab Technician (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAOctober 27, 2015
People are nice and caring.Most doctors are knowledgeable.Management are good.I learned a lot from supervisor and co worker.
Very bad politics
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Moore's Cancer Center and HillcrestMay 20, 2012
I worked at the university thru their Temporary Employment Services and was put in a few different departments. Every department had blow out fights between middle managements, yelling and demeaning of employees, cancer patients and each other. I heard management complaining about under performers in front of staff and very bad gossip. Sabatoging and back stabbing galore. The people who have passed their 6 months do not get fired or disciplined because they are union. Unless it's a complete gross misconduct situation, the university supports a negative, catty, backbiting unprofessional enviroment. The training was lacking and tireless.
I'm glad I didn't get stuck there, it's obvious the people that work there are miserable and unable to do anything about it.. I know of people who unsuccessfully tried to transfer to different positions or departments but once you get a bad name, you are STUCK...They black list you.
Pros
benefits -pay was pretty good
Cons
extreme politics
Good teamwork among employees and good working environment.
Clinical Lab Scientist Specialist (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAJuly 19, 2015
UCSD Health System offers great benefits to its employees which is one of the reasons why most UCSD employees have long years of service. Hospital health care workers at UCSD have good working relationships and they are focused with their assigned responsibilities. Giving the best care to our patients is always of utmost importance.
Pros
Lifetime pension once you are vested.
Cons
Parking is not free.
Great Company with tons of potential
Hospital Assistant II (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAMay 27, 2015
UCSD is a great place to work. With any growing compnay, there have been moments of stress. With great leadership and a positive attitude, the challenges are daily and varied and leave me satisfied, I have learned a lot working at UCSD and I see a lot of potential growth in the future,
Pros
Lots of career opportunities, fun, activities, and fast growing
Cons
Growing fast leaves the organization struggling to keep up with the demands of the business
love working with the therapist
Clinical Care Partner (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CADecember 11, 2015
different cases all the time,how to use my body mechanics,very good with scheduling,good therapist, not having any slings,not stuck in one unit.
Pros
my body mechanics got better
Cons
not enough slings to provide for pt's
Fantastic leaders, great work environment
Executive Assistant (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAOctober 5, 2015
Gained knowledge and guidance from three directors. Diverse environment. Allowed to take initiative to grow my position. Able to use organizational skills to create more efficient process.
Pros
Great experience
Cons
Department closed
Just being able to help people and give back makes me happy every day
HOSPITAL VOLUNTEER (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAApril 17, 2015
I love working with patients, co-workers, management and the PUBLIC here at UCSD... ITS A GREAT PLACE TO WORK FOR.A typical day starts with saying good morning to my patients, then it's running labs, picking up or delivering equipment as needed and when I'm not busy I go down to the lobby I greet and help people find there way to where ever they need to go...
Pros
working with patients
Cons
no cons
great and traffic Hospital to work for
Admin Assistant & Senior Clerk - Med Rec (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CASeptember 30, 2013
I enjoyed my work @ UCSD very much, this is where I received my
skills and knowledge @ this company, I have work with some of
the finals Staff, co-worker and great management team. I was given
a chance as a Adm.Asst and Senior clerk to demonstrate my skills and knowledge in both position and asst. management in training
other co-workers as well.
Pros
given the privilege of being off on certain holiday's
Cons
healthcare benefits
Life on Campus
Administrative Asst. II (Former Employee) –  La Jolla, CAJanuary 13, 2013
This job was in the Dean's Office of the Jacobs School of Engineering. It was on Campus vs The Medical Center.
I loved the work and the idea that they promoted learning...of course they did, they are UCSD. The only problem that I had there is that they certain people in the office were "busy bodies". Enough to make you want to leave. Some managers were at fault as well. Sometimes I really did not think that they had enough to do in the office...with as much time that they gossip.
Pros
security, benefits, pay
Cons
lack of management and structure.
UCSD was a very educational place to work.
RN (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAAugust 31, 2015
Working at UCSD in the late 80's was interesting, challenging and so educational. I enjoyed learning in an educational environment and the experience was invaluable.
poor morale overall, conflict between administration and staff due to understaffing and patient safety concerns
RN (Former Employee) –  san diego caMarch 21, 2012
Lack of advancement from within. Hiring of outside staff for management positions leads to continual turnover at administration/mid management level. Average manager stays 18 months so in a continual flux. Magnet status was obtained but not indicative of a magnet environment because transformational leadership is non existent.
Overall good people to work with, but poor leadership and no advancement
Administrative Specialist (Current Employee) –  La Jolla, CAJune 29, 2013
I rate UCSD as average. This is a high stress environment with little staff and overworked employees. Morale is low due to low pay, extra work and the threat of layoffs. I would like to move out of the public education arena and return to a job in the private sector.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
no advancement, low pay and prone to layoffs
My review is reflexed below
Hospital Assistant III (Former Employee) –  La Jolla, CANovember 19, 2013
What made the job enjoyable for me were my co-workers and the patients. Not that everyone was a joy but I'd say 90%. I loved being able to decorate the clinic during Holidays and the staff and patients appreciated it as well. I even had some patients make sure they were scheduled for follow up appointments during the Holidays in order to enjoy the decorations. Said it made them feel better and less clinical. Anything to get their minds off of why they were having to come to a Cancer Clinic, decorations, photos of pets on our desk or a nice way we arranged our desk, made our patients feel more human. A hug, laughter and especially listening. Unfortunately, I was also caregiver for my parents and with my mother's health failing I had to retire early. It was getting too stressful to keep running back and forth to work and hospital appointments for my parents as well as those unexpected emergency trips. It was very hurtful to leave the friends/co-workers and patients who also became friends. It was also hurtful when patients you knew and cared about passed. But a great feeling in seeing those who got better or in remission. The Cancer Center will always have a place in my heart.
Pros
feeling like you're helping and decorating for holidays
Cons
very few and small raises and new outside managers not wanting to listen.
Fun and a productive place to work.
RN (Former Employee) –  Outpatient HemodialysisSeptember 15, 2013
I love to come to work every time because of the people that you work with and the patients that I've come to love and care. Benefits and pay are good and our supervisor is awesome to her employee . There are a lot of issues like any other workplace but all of us try to come with a solutions to it. The hardest part of the job is waking up @ 0200 am to be at work @ 0400 am. However busy our work is we have the time to joke around and laugh with co workers and the patients. I learned a lot during my employment at UCSD, my nursing experience broadened tremendously especially in Hemodialysis.
Pros
free food and gifts during holidays like thanksgiving, christmas and new year
Cons
short vacation - 2 weeks only even if you have more days in the book, it is hard esp. if you go to other countries and you pay huge amount of airfare, 2 weeks is too short.
Ucsd
Financial Coordinator (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAOctober 17, 2014
UCSD was a great place for employment, they empower the employees and provide the necessary tools to succeed. I move into several positions while employed by UCSD. Please note some of my accomplishments:

• Extremely well rounded career history in hospital, medical billing and financial services, over 25 years’ experience.
• Extensive knowledge of contracted healthcare carriers.
• Full understanding of the operations and functions of patient financial services.
• Recovered an additional 1.7 million in revenue from Tri-care as a result of the Children’s Hospital differential.
• Recovered additional Tri-care revenue after uncovering incorrectly loaded DRG weights by the Tri-care intermediary.
• Recovered $875,000.00 in untimely claims denials.
• Was nominated for employee of the year award UCSD Moore’s Cancer Center - see link http://cancer.ucsd.edu/aboutus/news/archive/archive2.asp?articleID=221
• Complete knowledge of Microsoft Office, Excel, Word, Outlook, Access, Power point
• UCSD Medical Center – Recovered 1.2 million in non-payable organ acquisition charges going back 5 yrs. for BMT and Solid Transplants.
Very difficult job
Roi Specialist (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJanuary 19, 2014
For most of the time working in this industry, I had to come together with hospital staff and the staff I worked for directly. When the company changed hands, things went from great to worse. No longer were the employees held in high esteem but weeded out from 5 to 2. It became too difficult to do the job while staying on a level field with what we were being asked to do.
Pros
great location, working for a hospital
Cons
new management, too much discord, untrust worthy employeers
Well-paced job with helpful team members
Facilities Maintainance (Former Employee) –  La Jolla, CAJune 9, 2012
This job had good pay, very good hours that allowed me more daylight hours during the day since I had the early morning to noon shift. Also, the team members were very helpful and helped make tasks completion procedures efficient.
Pros
good pay, early works hours that leave the rest of the daytime for my leisure
Cons
it was through their temporary agency and only senior members receive benefits