UCSD Medical Center

UCSD Medical Center Employee Reviews

The climate can be hostile
Clinical Care Partner (Former Employee), San Diego, CAJuly 9, 2015
Pros: great benifits
Cons: Culture dysfunction
The culture climate can be hostile and very selective about who they accept. a lot of politics and games are going on with the upper management.
Great Company with tons of potential
Hospital Assistant II (Former Employee), San Diego, CAMay 27, 2015
Pros: Lots of career opportunities, fun, activities, and fast growing
Cons: Growing fast leaves the organization struggling to keep up with the demands of the business
UCSD is a great place to work. With any growing compnay, there have been moments of stress. With great leadership and a positive attitude, the challenges are daily and varied and leave me satisfied, I have learned a lot working at UCSD and I see a lot of potential growth in the future,
Just being able to help people and give back makes me happy every day
HOSPITAL VOLUNTEER (Current Employee), San Diego, CAApril 17, 2015
Pros: working with patients
Cons: no cons
I love working with patients, co-workers, management and the PUBLIC here at UCSD... ITS A GREAT PLACE TO WORK FOR.A typical day starts with saying good morning to my patients, then it's running labs, picking up or delivering equipment as needed and when I'm not busy I go down to the lobby I greet and help people find there way to where ever they need to go...
Revenue Manager, Department of Surgery (Former Employee), San Diego, CANovember 20, 2014
Pros: helping patients
Cons: not enough time in the day
The most enjoyable part of my job was helping patients, and the support staff is fantastic.
UCSD
Financial Coordinator (Former Employee), San Diego, CAOctober 17, 2014
UCSD was a great place for employment, they empower the employees and provide the necessary tools to succeed. I move into several positions while employed by UCSD. Please note some of my accomplishments:

• Extremely well rounded career history in hospital, medical billing and financial services, over 25 years’ experience.
• Extensive knowledge of contracted healthcare carriers.
• Full understanding of the operations and functions of patient financial services.
• Recovered an additional 1.7 million in revenue from Tri-care as a result of the Children’s Hospital differential.
• Recovered additional Tri-care revenue after uncovering incorrectly loaded DRG weights by the Tri-care intermediary.
• Recovered $875,000.00 in untimely claims denials.
• Was nominated for employee of the year award UCSD Moore’s Cancer Center - see link http://cancer.ucsd.edu/aboutus/news/archive/archive2.asp?articleID=221
• Complete knowledge of Microsoft Office, Excel, Word, Outlook, Access, Power point
• UCSD Medical Center – Recovered 1.2 million in non-payable organ acquisition charges going back 5 yrs. for BMT and Solid Transplants.
Great Place Great People
Student Administrative Intern (Former Employee), San Diego, CAAugust 11, 2014
Interned as an administrative assistant assisting with keeping state databases up to date as well as processing orders.
Fun and productive place to work.
Mental Health Worker (Former Employee), San Diego, CAJuly 27, 2014
Typical work day was busy but fun. How to utilize team members for support on stressful days. Management was concerned with the welfare of co-workers. Challenging population. Seeing the patients improve over time.
Teaching hospital where there is no shortage of things to learn
Clinical & Outpatient Dietitian (Former Employee), San Diego, CAApril 3, 2014
Pros: opportunities to learn new things
Cons: inadequate staffing of dietitians
Clinical setting working mostly with inpatients. Also was outpatient dietitian in La Jolla/Thornton.
Learned about a plethora of things including Cystic Fibrosis.
Co-workers great.
Hardest part: Having up to 30 patients to chart on in 7.5 hrs.
Loved the rapport I had with the physicians and nurses
Excellent place to work
Front and Back office Lead (Former Employee), San DiegoMarch 24, 2014
Pros: well organized hospital
Cons: some oudated facilities.
Huge pools for advancement, they really take care of their employees. Patient advocacy at its best.

Physicians work exceptionally as a group.
poor management, Mngt vs union employees
Tissue Coordinator/ Organ Assistant Coordinator (Current Employee), San Diego, CAMarch 11, 2014
Pros: this job is rewarding due to the outcome of the work done
Cons: poor mngt
very challenging job without a chance to improve or move up the ladder.
productive and work place fun
Chef Adam Gilly (Former Employee), San Diego, CAMarch 10, 2014
Pros: free lunch
All around a great place to work.

I learned time management between meals in a hospital environment and in nutritional value. From breakfast to lunch it was non stop hard work although it was a great time working.
Intern at psychiatric associate department
Medical administrative intern (Former Employee), San Diego, CAFebruary 21, 2014
It was a very good department the staff where very kind and helpful. Everyday, there was something to do the only thing difficult was trying to finish everything before the day ended. I learned how to work in a team and help one another.
Very difficult job
Roi Specialist (Former Employee), San Diego, CAJanuary 19, 2014
Pros: great location, working for a hospital
Cons: new management, too much discord, untrust worthy employeers
For most of the time working in this industry, I had to come together with hospital staff and the staff I worked for directly. When the company changed hands, things went from great to worse. No longer were the employees held in high esteem but weeded out from 5 to 2. It became too difficult to do the job while staying on a level field with what we were being asked to do.
My review is reflexed below
Hospital Assistant III (Former Employee), La Jolla, CANovember 19, 2013
Pros: feeling like you're helping and decorating for holidays
Cons: very few and small raises and new outside managers not wanting to listen.
What made the job enjoyable for me were my co-workers and the patients. Not that everyone was a joy but I'd say 90%. I loved being able to decorate the clinic during Holidays and the staff and patients appreciated it as well. I even had some patients make sure they were scheduled for follow up appointments during the Holidays in order to enjoy the decorations. Said it made them feel better and less clinical. Anything to get their minds off of why they were having to come to a Cancer Clinic, decorations, photos of pets on our desk or a nice way we arranged our desk, made our patients feel more human. A hug, laughter and especially listening. Unfortunately, I was also caregiver for my parents and with my mother's health failing I had to retire early. It was getting too stressful to keep running back and forth to work and hospital appointments for my parents as well as those unexpected emergency trips. It was very hurtful to leave the friends/co-workers and patients who also became friends. It was also hurtful when patients you knew and cared about passed. But a great feeling in seeing those who got better or in remission. The Cancer Center will always have a place in my heart.
great and traffic Hospital to work for
Admin Assistant & Senior Clerk - Med Rec (Former Employee), San Diego, CASeptember 30, 2013
Pros: given the privilege of being off on certain holiday's
Cons: healthcare benefits
I enjoyed my work @ UCSD very much, this is where I received my
skills and knowledge @ this company, I have work with some of
the finals Staff, co-worker and great management team. I was given
a chance as a Adm.Asst and Senior clerk to demonstrate my skills and knowledge in both position and asst. management in training
other co-workers as well.
Great learning experiences
Emergency Trauma Technician (Former Employee), San Diego, CASeptember 18, 2013
Great place to learn and to advance in your career. As it is a teaching hospital there are many opportunities to see and experience new cutting edge procedures and technology.
Fun and a productive place to work.
RN (Former Employee), Outpatient HemodialysisSeptember 15, 2013
Pros: free food and gifts during holidays like thanksgiving, christmas and new year
Cons: short vacation - 2 weeks only even if you have more days in the book, it is hard esp. if you go to other countries and you pay huge amount of airfare, 2 weeks is too short.
I love to come to work every time because of the people that you work with and the patients that I've come to love and care. Benefits and pay are good and our supervisor is awesome to her employee . There are a lot of issues like any other workplace but all of us try to come with a solutions to it. The hardest part of the job is waking up @ 0200 am to be at work @ 0400 am. However busy our work is we have the time to joke around and laugh with co workers and the patients. I learned a lot during my employment at UCSD, my nursing experience broadened tremendously especially in Hemodialysis.
Great place to work.
Hospital Lab Technician I (Current Employee), San Diego, CAAugust 28, 2013
Pros: so much to learn under one roof
Cons: layoffs, union propaganda
Really learned alot,throughout my employment here. So many different areas I got to experience as well as different Drs to assist.
I conducted research experiments and assisted post-doctoral scientists.
Laboratory Technician (Former Employee), San Diego, CAAugust 14, 2013
As a research technician, I conducted research experiments that aided the work of post-doctoral scientists studying a tumor suppressor gene called ECRG4.
Overall good people to work with, but poor leadership and no advancement
Administrative Specialist (Current Employee), La Jolla, CAJune 29, 2013
Pros: good benefits
Cons: no advancement, low pay and prone to layoffs
I rate UCSD as average. This is a high stress environment with little staff and overworked employees. Morale is low due to low pay, extra work and the threat of layoffs. I would like to move out of the public education arena and return to a job in the private sector.

About UCSD Medical Center

UC San Diego Health System, along with UC San Diego School of Medicine and Skaggs School of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences – Read more