UCSF Medical Center Employee Reviews

Ok place to work
Principle Admitting Worker (Current Employee) –  Emeryville, CAJanuary 12, 2017
With this company the pay compensates you for the other issues you deal with in your department. Management needs to work on professionalism. My personal department tolerates discrimination of race, religion,and self preference.
Pros
Great sompensationa nd benefits are pretty good
Cons
Need to enforce workforce professionalism.
HIV prevention at Parnassuss
MSW (Former Employee) –  400 ParnassussDecember 13, 2016
Great facility to work for, excellent benefits. The ideal place to work for research of every variety. Management can vary from program to program.
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
you can get stuck in a pay grade
Summary Review
Phlebotomist/HLT (Hospital Lab Technician) (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAMarch 15, 2016
Working at the UCSF Campus was an amazing experience. It is a research hospital and they offer millions or opportunities to learn new skills and growth opportunities.

San Francisco is a very diverse city and working at UCSF you are given the opportunity to learn about other cultures and their life practices.

Management was well organized and informative.

The hardest part of the job was being on-hand and witnessing Code Blue patients and their families.

The most enjoyable part of the job was learning and experiencing implementation of new methods, medications, and practices.
Pros
Opportunity for advancement
Cons
n/a
Licensed Practical Nurse (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CANovember 2, 2016
Good place to work and obtain experience in specialties/fields.
Great benefits, union benefits. Con no encouragement/chance for educational advancement
Respiratory Care Practitioner II (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAAugust 26, 2016
As a teaching institution, it is interesting to see many new developments implemented at the facility each day which keeps the employees on their toes with enhancing their knowledge. The management practices servant leadership, however, is often unsuccessful with carrying out such measures due to union contracts. Co workers are great with collaboration of ideas and patient care techniques during difficult assignments. The hardest part of the job is portraying efficiency at bedside while juggling a heavy assignment during short staffing. The most enjoyable part of the job is that one gets to gain valuable knowledge every day via new patient care interventions and research conducted and published by the facility.
Loved my tiny Department
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJuly 25, 2016
I worked hard at my job for many years, Advancing at a great pace. We had a unique work environment, and we all got along quite well.
i learned a bit of mainframe computing, I learned billing, collecting, NIH money and private funds processing. I even negotiated some accounts with vendors. I learned even more medical terminology than I ever thought possible,

The hardest part of the job was political, and why I left to go to graduate school. The head of our lab retired, and the management was never the same.

I loved working at UC. It is a great place to work if you find your niche.
Pros
Great Facilities at Parnassus Campus, Excellent pay
Cons
Lots of infighting within departments and between them. Restructuring.
We're here for the kids
Clinician, Study Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Oakland, CAAugust 29, 2016
UCSF Benioff Children's Hospital Oakland provides exceptional primary and sub-specialty care as well as access to cutting edge clinical research to a diverse patient population.

There is great flexibility and buy-in from the clinical staff to conduct innovative clinical trials here due in large part to the fact that CHO is at heart a small hospital. The downside is that the bureaucracy is not designed to support the research effort so roadblocks to hiring and financial management are frustrating.
Conditions of work
SBO/Customer Service/Refunds & Credits Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Emeryville, CAOctober 28, 2016
Fast paced, extremely busy work environment. Great co-workers and friendly staff. Great benefits package. UCSF encourages growth and provides additional training when identified.
general food service
Food Service Worker (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAAugust 27, 2016
just your typical work food place, serving, preparing, cleaning your station when sold out or done for the day, handling customers orders and modified orders. very fast pace during peak hours, but management picks on you if you are young. other employees give you a hard time for the same reason.
Pros
free meal card
Cons
horrible management
Prior Authorization Representative (Current Employee) –  Emeryville, CADecember 1, 2016
Working here is great, however, management needs to learn how to treat their employees better. The job is not easy, but it is rewarding. I enjoy helping patients.

Want to know more about UCSF Medical Center?

Ask a question
Children's Hospital is a great place to work
Ward Clerk (Current Employee) –  Oakland, CAJuly 19, 2016
The money is consistent, the people work hard at this outfit. The managers that I have worked for are really good, and they are very knowledgeable about procedures at hospital protocols
Pros
discount on meals
Cons
Have to work every other weekend until you have worked for 20 years
Great people, tough job
Data Analyst (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAFebruary 3, 2016
As the second largest employer in the City, UCSF is made up of a diverse group of people. Many of my colleagues were a joy to work with, despite the fact that there was an almost unanimous feeling of being over-worked. The organization seems unnecessarily top heavy, with many layers of management, and I rarely felt supported by my superiors, either when I needed direction or when I felt overburdened by the number and variety of job requests.
Pros
Good people, great compensation
Cons
Lack of support, very heavy workload with no prioritization
Just started
Hospitality (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAAugust 30, 2016
typical day is very simple.
learned how to clean baby bed and clean pumps.
management is very kind hearted.
enjoyable part of the job is seeing the babies.
Passionate and educational, great place to spend 8+hrs a day of your life
PATHOLOGY/NEUROPATHOLOGY DEPTS. (temp) Med. Admin (Former Employee) –  UCSF Medical Center, Parnassus CampusJuly 14, 2016
Everyone in the departments extended their knowledge, thorough in the details of all assignments, very busy departments, heavy data entry, specimen cataloging, and filing.

Overall, a great environment to spend 8hrs of your day.

Also, you got to have a strong stomach...you are surrounded by "specimens"...sliced brains and other body parts. Some of the research you do involves very graphic pictures of medical condition, it can be shocker.
Pros
Responsibilities are rewarding in itself, very supportive staff/peers, positive atmosphere/environment
Cons
hard to obtain permanent position as an Admin. (because once your in you aren't likely to leave)
great place to learn and grown
Adminstrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAOctober 19, 2016
UCSF gave me and opportunity to learn and grown within my family as well as within the world.
I was given a chance to lean with ucsf and was able to take life by the bootstraps, I absolutely loved my time with ucsf, I would love to stay but san Francisco and the high rents are more of the issue.
Pros
great learning enviornment
Cons
could be more diverse
Enjoyable and supportive environment
Office Intern (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAAugust 28, 2016
Everyone I encountered was kind and loved their work. Staff are all supportive of each other and myself. The work was good and rewarding, and I enjoyed my time there. I learned many skills from juggling multiple projects at once, to valuable life skills, and many office skills that I hope to be able to utilize in a future job.
Pros
Great staff and people, fun environment.
Cons
I was a student intern, so my responsibilities were entry level.
Great place to work contract
Program Analyst, Contractor (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAOctober 30, 2015
A great Contract work place. City of San Francisco or UCSF employees. One can see a stark difference in the approach to the job from each side, where UCSF employees are passionate, but City of SF employees are hampered by budget and limited hours.
Over all employees are happy.
Difficult political environment as there are too many hands in the pot and many times either persons do not follow up on promises or no person takes on responsibility for a necessary task...this occurs even within management.
However, the management team is amazing! and while they take a longer process to arrive at a decision, they achieve the results in a better manner than most other similar environments, constricted by red tape as they sometimes are.
Pros
Amazing employees and management
Cons
Lots of Red Tape and politics
A great place to work if you are looking for stability
Practice Manager (Current Employee) –  San Francisco Bay Area, CAJanuary 26, 2016
This is a great place to work if you are looking for stability or have a family. It is not a great place to work if you are needing to be challenge or need to be stimulated beyond your daily duties. Opportunity for growth is very hard, you really have to go outside of your department in order to grow.
Pros
Good Benefits
Cons
A great place for surgery and chemotherapy treatments.
Pharmacy Technician (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAOctober 31, 2016
Great learning hospital with a lot to offer to the patients. Have a great pharmacy system for pediatric and adult patients. Have great personal that are always helping.
Pros
A good working place
Cons
Better managing
decent placeto work
primary Scrub Tech role (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CANovember 23, 2016
people like working there. people are friendly and eager to help the new guy. working with children is rewarding but could also be sad. they encourage employees to speak up if there is an issue.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at UCSF Medical Center. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3