The company is an oil field services company and is family owned and operated. The company, currently, provides safe fluid management services, primarily transportation and logistics, to the oil industry in the Midwest and Northwest with plans to expand into the Southwest in 2013. Total revenues projected for 2013 is $50 million. Employee headcount is projected to be 200 by the end of 2013.
The divisional controller position is accountable for the accounting operations of the local company, to include the production of periodic management reports and analysis, maintenance of an adequate system of accounting records, and a comprehensive set of controls and budgets designed to mitigate risk that adhere to company policies and procedures, enhance the accuracy of the company's reported financial results, and ensure that reported results comply with generally accepted accounting principles and company policies and procedures. This is an operational role and requires continuous interface with and guidance to local management with regard to financial performance. Familiarity with performance measurements is a must. Enforcement of disciplines and adherence to company policy & procedures is a major responsibility.
- Maintain and document a system of accounting policies and procedures.
- Oversee the operations of the accounting department, including the design of an organizational structure adequate for achieving the department's goals and objectives.
- Organize and work independently on multiple assigned tasks/projects and complete assignments within specified deadlines.
- Communicate effectively verbally and in writing to all levels of staff and management, outside officials and agencies, and the public, expressing ideas and instructions clearly and concisely.
- Accurately follow verbal and written directions from senior management.
- Demonstrate skills in consensus-building and mediation in order to constructively address employee conflicts.
- Supervise the accounting staff.
- Ensure that accounts payable are processed in a timely manner maximizing the utilization of discounts.
- Ensure that data required for rendering billings to customers is accurately and timely collected and entered in the system.
- Ensure that local customer accounts receivable are collected promptly.
- Ensure that local payroll data is processed accurately and in a timely manner.
- Ensure that periodic local bank reconciliations are completed.
- Ensure adherence to the company chart of accounts.
- Maintain an orderly accounting filing system.
- Maintain a system of controls over accounting transactions.
- Ensure that adequate levels of insurance are maintained and set-up a method to flex auto coverage to comply with vehicle utilization.
- Maintain fixed asset records and determine that depreciation rates comply with corporate guidelines.
- Ensure that intercompany transactions are recorded properly and reconciled periodically.
- Issue timely and complete financial statements.
- Recommend benchmarks against which to measure the performance of company operations and design and prepare reports to assist management in understanding.
- Calculate and issue financial and operating metrics.
- Develop an annual budget and comply with corporate reporting requirements.
- Calculate variances from the budget and report significant issues to management.
- Provide for a system of management cost reports.
- Provide financial analyses as needed, in particular for capital investments, pricing decisions, and contract negotiations
- Coordinate the provision of information to external auditors for the corporate annual audit
- Monitor debt levels and compliance with debt covenants
- Comply with local, state, and federal government reporting requirements and tax filings
The controller candidate should have a Bachelor's degree in accounting or business administration, or equivalent business experience and 10+ years of progressively responsible experience. Preference will be given to candidates with the Certified Public Accountant or Certified Management Accountant designations. Net Suite experience a plus.
Primarily an office environment. Will be expected to travel as needed to company subsidiaries. Periodic weekend or evening work is expected.