Ulta Employee Reviews

Found 1,604 reviews matching the search
Very fun environment
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Lees Summit, MOJanuary 19, 2017
A typical day at Ulta was so much fun. The guests were friendly and the experience was a great one. I learned how to move at a fast pace and not get frustrated or overwhelmed. Management was amazing there was always someone there to help and they were all easy to talk to. My co-workers we friendly and very helpful. The hardest part of my job was finding time to sit down but everything else about the job was very enjoyable.
Great job, really fun, my field of interest.
Seasonal Prestige Beauty Advisor (Former Employee) –  Garland, TXJanuary 19, 2017
The job itself was very enjoyable and I never dreaded coming to work. If it hadn't been for some poor management, it'd be 5 stars all around. Furthering my career in a cosmetic based field has been my goal since I was young and I was really hoping to be able to do that here, so off to better things?
Fun, energetic workplace.
Retail Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Garner, NCJanuary 18, 2017
Ulta Beauty's staff were friendly, kind, supportive and hardworking. There was constant room for growth. Managers were kind and patient. The most difficult part of the job was facing the public, which is the same for any job that requires working with the public.
Fun work place
Replenishment (Former Employee) –  Romeoville, ILJanuary 18, 2017
Great coworkers, also very respectful
Fun place to work
Supervisors are really friendly and organized
Great communication
Supervisors are also good listeners
Upbeat place to work
Beauty Advisor (Former Employee) –  Roseville, CAJanuary 18, 2017
A typical day at ulta depending on what you do there is you get to work and head up to the registers to be chatted in by a manager. They basically tell you what the plans are for the day and the sales also what they expect of you. You spend your day rining people up and helping customers find the products that they need. There wasn't anything to hard about this job. I really enjoyed the fun outfits I got to wear and having my makeup fun and pretty everday.
Great work environment with room to grow
Hairstylist/Cosmetologist (Current Employee) –  IndianaJanuary 17, 2017
I really adore working at Ulta, though there are some things that I would change if I could. The staff at my store are all wonderful and our team makes it so fun to work there.

The bad things about this job, for me, start with the fact that we have too many stylists in our salon, therefore we all get a low amount of hours, and we all are struggling to grow a clientele base because of this. I don't think this is the case for every Ulta, but it's proved to be a big problem for us, and most of us stylists are searching for a different or second job.

My manager is awesome, and the retail managers all have your back and are willing to help you grow, but realistically, since you need clientele to grow your business, it takes a long time to move up in the pay scale when you are in the situation that they put us in when they hired so many new stylists with no clientele base. Your prices as a stylist increase when you 'level jump', so the already high prices can prove to be a problem for your returning guests.

More cons for me were that Ulta's policies are very strict and I was not used to that having experience in other types of salons. And they only pay stylists $8 per hour, so when you have a slow week and don't make your commission, you get paid very little. Commission starts at 43% which is ok.

Overall I think it's worth it to work for Ulta, they really do respect their employees.. And when you have a real chance to build your appointment books, I think it could be very beneficial to be a part of Ulta's team. Unfortunately, this job has not proved to be stable enough
  more... for me, but again, I feel like that's not a normal circumstance.  less
Pros
Great coworkers, 25% off discount, free services in the salon if you work in the salon, they set you up for success, superiors are very helpful
Cons
Not enough hours, low hourly wage, prices too high for many clients, redken color.
Retail Management
Associate Manager (Current Employee) –  Pittsfield, MAJanuary 17, 2017
As the operations manager I oversee the main functions of the store. I have an operational team that handles shipment and replenishment. It is my responsibility to make sure this happens and if it doesn't to get it done myself. I am responsible for returns to the vendors in order to be compensated for their product being pulled from our floor, so it is detrimental that we provide all of what they ask for in return. I have resets for the store every Sunday morning before opening to provide our guests with the opportunity for our deals or brand new products in the beauty market. Every Monday morning with have planograms for our gondolas with new product or updated price changes. A typical day for me is busy and has to be accurate for our guests to have a great shopping experience. I am well organized and having to oversee the whole store as a function of my job is enjoyable because I am well aware of what we have to offer for product, as well as, the deals that are happening for the week.
Pros
Keeps me very busy
Cons
Hours
Great place to work (if you're not seasonal)
Seasonal Beauty Advisor (Former Employee) –  Deerfield Beach, FLJanuary 16, 2017
I would have to say i had the delightful pleasure of working for suck an open-minded company where you can be you. I loved all the staff including managers, it was a delight to be able to help people out with makeup and other in-store products that i had vast knowledge on. There really isn't much of a "hard" , or "difficult" thing to the job because when you do something you love, then its always easy. The only reason they didn't keep me was because the two weeks after Christmas, the scheduling went back to normal hours (off season) and since i was looking for other work and getting money for doing odd jobs i was deemed "unreliable" because i wasn't able to come in when they wanted me (on call). On a typical day of work i would mostly be doing go-backs, returns, making DMG tags for returns/ in-store damages, and as well as customer service and being cashier.
Pros
employee discount, makeup, approval of dyed hair, atmosphere, fun environment
Cons
expectations of employees (with 0h on schedule)
Great work place
Task Crew (Former Employee) –  Downey, CAJanuary 16, 2017
Loved working there. Everyone is nice to each other, and my job position is awesome because the store isn't open yet. Sometimes it doesn't feel like work because of the environment.
A perfect "meh" experience
Beauty Advisor (Current Employee) –  Bloomingdale, ILJanuary 16, 2017
It's not great and it's not terrible. It is the perfect definition of "meh." The company doesn't care about it's employees much but it's a great work enviroment for the chump change you'll be making/
okay job
MATERIAL HANDLER (Former Employee) –  Chambersburg, PAJanuary 15, 2017
okay job to beat a blank. didn't really care for the hours though. good job to hold you for the next one. some people are okay there. some are not just like anyway. do your job and go home.
Okay
Beauty Advisor/Fragrance Specialist (Former Employee) –  Newport Beach, CAJanuary 15, 2017
It's an okay job if you want beauty retail experience. Hours aren't that great, and not much training is given. Because there's hardly any training/lack of communication from management, a majority of beauty advisors spend most of their shifts talking to each other on their headsets because they don't know what the heck is going on.

Honestly, you're better off working for Sephora.
Interesting and fun part time gig
Beauty Advisor/Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CAJanuary 15, 2017
I am thankful for the experience I had at Ulta, but ultimately was not happy with the management and the way things were run. Though I did get along well with my coworkers and managers, I had a hard time with how unorganized the management and operations were. I did learn a lot about customer interaction, making the customers feel welcome and want to come back to our store. Also I enjoyed learning all about merchandising and our ad sets, as well as being on the store shipment team. Overall I am glad that I worked for Ulta but felt that I was not able to grow and improve with the company.
Pros
Nice discount, fun coworkers, friendly environment.
Cons
Poor management, low pay
Worse than working for walmart
Prestige Beauty Advisor (Current Employee) –  New York StateJanuary 14, 2017
The walmart equivalent to target/sephora. Pay starts at minimum wage although I was bumped a dollar more for experience. I would recommend running away. They under staff. They treat you like dirt expecting you to change your schedule at the drop of the bat. You rarely get to take your break and are told to lie when you checkout saying you took your break. One time I came on time and a manager was late for 30 minutes and of course I didn't get that time paid. I was told work was seasonal until certain date and they never told me it ended sooner. I only found out because I saw myself not on the schedule in an upcoming week. Some weeks you didn't even know the schedule til the day before you have to work and you waste your time calling seeing if the schedule is up. Unprofessional with managers talking about drama and other workers they don't like in plain hearing view. You are also not paid time waiting for a manager to "check you out." Sometimes it can take as long as 10 minutes all unpaid! Can't be legal... They have to check daily anytime you leave the store making sure you didn't steal anything. The only positive thing is the discount and some of the customers. Nothing else! Would not recommend.
Pros
discount
Cons
no breaks, lack of professionalism, lack of communication
Managment is ridiculous at the one i worked at
Beauty Advisor (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 14, 2017
I loved the customer service opportunities I got to learn by going to conventions and makeup release parties. Getting to work one on one with top brands is always an amazing perk.
fun, friendly place to work
Merchandise Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Blue SpringsJanuary 14, 2017
Every shift was something new and generally enjoyable. Client's come first and foremost with the expectation of getting your work completed efficiently.
Busy
Beauty Advisor/Cashier (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJanuary 13, 2017
Set up register and balances at the beginning and end of the work day. great customers, help customers with ticket purchases. keep the work place clean.
Pros
Meet lots of different people
Cons
Gets slow during the week
Don't waist your time people
Seasonal Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJanuary 13, 2017
Ok, so i decided to pick up a part-time seasonal job just for fun. What I didn't realize the magnitude of work and compensation you'll be getting. So know I just really work there for the discount. However, it ain't all that great either. The reason why I say don't waist you time because:
1. A lot of work for NO PAY- I spend more money getting there than my actual pay check
2. The discount really isn't worth it AT ALL
3. If your not a MANAGER you ain't making no real money and
4. A BUNCH OF RULES THAT MANAGEMENT DON'T EVEN FOLLOW.

BTW, this job is for like a high schooler or college student that need pocket change and I mean just that.
Cons
compensation, discount, services, employees
Vibrant work place
Merchandise Service Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Idaho Falls, IDJanuary 13, 2017
Working for Ulta Beauty was a big eye opening experience for me. Your heart definitely needs to be in it. You can't work here if you are a slow paced moving individual. You've got to be fast on the feet and quick to learn.
okay place to work, seasonal employees dont get special treatment
Prestige Beauty Advisor/ Cashier (Current Employee) –  Greensboro, NCJanuary 12, 2017
its an alright place to work if you like beauty and makeup, espically since you get a nice discount. i just dont like how seasonal employees are treated, but that's how retail is sometimes. Management tends to get mad when you dont know something, even when they didnt properly train you in the first place. Be prepared to get thrown out there on the sales floor
Pros
25 percent discount, working around makeup
Cons
didnt receive proper training, unrealistic expectations from management

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Ulta. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9