Ulta Employee Reviews in United States

Found 1,301 reviews matching the search
Enjoyable job for PT employment seekers
Beauty Consultant (Current Employee) –  Florence, SCFebruary 8, 2016
The hours are very flexible and the staff is very friendly; customer service is top priority and it is a very fun and rewarding job in that aspect. There are minimal benefits because the company will not hire FT other than management and even the managers do not receive FT hours. As is with any bureaucratic corporation, management cannot function properly without going up the chain of command, and that chain does not seem to link very well. If you're looking for a fun summer/winter break job or just a PT job for a little extra cash, ULTA is the way to go. If you're searching for a sustainable income and benefits, ULTA is not for you.
Pros
Happy Place to work, low-stress, flexible hours, friendly employees
Cons
No benefits, no FT, no raises
Loved working with all products. Advising and recommending cosmetics that suited guests needs.
Lancôme Boutique Specialist (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVMarch 7, 2016
Each day I started my shift with reviewing business needs and goals. Then followed by cleaning and stocking the Lancome Boutique and servicing all Ulta guests will any and all of their beauty needs.
Working at Ulta taught me a lot about how to ask questions to determine needs. I was trained on all high end/prestige cosmetics, hair care and skin care. Working closely with the Management staff made it easy to stay on top of all my personal sales goals and tasks.
Assisting co-workers was always something I was willing to do at anytime.
The hardest part of my job was tolerating shop lifters and theft. This was always an ongoing challenge at Utla.
The part I enjoyed most about my job as a Lancome Beauty Adviser for Ulta was the positive feed back I received from guests and the Ulta guest experience surveys.
Pros
Cosmetic and Hair care gratis.
Cons
No health benefits are offered to part-time employees
Such a different kind of job, very challenging.
Skin and Hair Specialist (Former Employee) –  Fort Wayne, INFebruary 23, 2016
I started by being an administrative assistant to the engineering department and later learned to be a drafting engineer. I was trained by the best, we was a great company. I worked there for 6 years, and it was in a time of my life when I needed benefits for my children and a great job.

I can say at all my jobs, I have always worked with great people, different nationalities and I could get along with anybody.

As the years passed there and my children graduated, I decided to go back into the hair business and that's when I started at ULTA.
Pros
Great benefits, no Saturdays and great vacation time.
Cons
N/A
Like anywhere, depends on team
salon (Current Employee) –  Dubuque, IADecember 18, 2015
When run correctly, according to Ulta standards it is a fun, fast-paced environment in which you can learn a lot about beauty products. It all depends upon the management, as they set the mood. For someone who loves beauty products this job is for you. The holidays in retail I believe are the hardest. The most enjoyable is when you work with a great team & receive deserved recognition through gratis, praise, public acknowledgement etc.
Pros
Most customers come seeking professional advice and make the days enjoyable
Cons
the drama between co-workers is not controlled
Up and comming company with a great future
Assistant Store Manager of Operations (Former Employee) –  Nampa, IDApril 5, 2016
When I worked for Ulta, it was growing rapidly in all directions. By far the best benefits I have ever received in retail. Management was focused on talent development and store environment was like family.
Cons
Retail schedule-nights, weekends, holidays which does not reflect the employer but the industry
Great Company to work for.
Assistant Manager of People (Current Employee) –  Bay Shore, NYApril 6, 2016
Great Company to work for flexible hours, great benefits, fun and great work experience. A great way to learn about all the beauty products available to various cultures. Learn about salon and how interacts with the retail part of the store. Making sales, and improving
sales numbers for the store. Cutting hours if he store didn't make profit. Overall, great learning experience.
Great culture and coworkers, horribly managed
sales (Former Employee) –  Manahawkin, NJDecember 10, 2015
I worked here awhile back. Compensation was average. Sales associates, stylists, and receptionists were great. Retail managers were kind, but the salon manager and general manager were absolutely horrible. I witnessed them constantly demeaning workers on the sales floor and back in the salon, saw coworkers either angry or crying almost daily, and they just created an overall toxic environment to the point where even customers would comment about the negativity of the management to my coworkers and stylists. Working at this Ulta has unfortunately completely ruined the remaining passion I had for the beauty industry and just retail in general. Seeing how my coworkers were treated during my time there, I will never step foot into that Ulta and support their business ever again. I just hope that people that work at other locations have had a better experience than the one I have had in Manahawkin.
Pros
Coworkers, discounts
Cons
Horrible upper management, short breaks, horrible hours, toxic environment
Accounting/Finance
finance (Former Employee) –  Bolingbrook, ILDecember 8, 2015
Does not promote within. You need to be best friends with Management that way you can be promoted or have a position created so do kiss up, even if the individual knows nothing about the position. Upper-Management tells the VP everything even if it’s not necessary because they love to smooch up. Upper Management does not know how to place a process in place, organize or have a stable environment. Management feels they can lie and intimidate employees into things that have not been done and can hold that against the employee. One manager had built a case for an ine incident and ran with it and essentially fired the individual although the employee have done a great part in organizing the dept. The individual always found a way to be more creative, trained and schooled other team members to understand how the job was done. trained them in basic excel. SEC NEEDS to check ULTA financial, NOT everything is GAPP Procedures A fake caring attitude about "culture" and open discussion and work/life balance and CAREER PATH IS A JOKE, Some VP’s needs to BE REMOVED.
Pros
Benefits, free products, gratis, growing company and that’s it.
Cons
Worst Company that worked in a short period of time Pros
Fast paced
Beauty Advisor (Former Employee) –  Florissant, MOFebruary 5, 2016
Very fast paced. Management has had too many issues though. The co-workers and customers are amazing. Pay is great as long as you're actually getting hours but management sometimes plays favoritism. Absolutely no room for error so be on your A game all the time.
Pros
Co-workers, customers, location, products, pay, benefits
Cons
management, scheduling
fast paced
Co-Manager/Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Midland, TXJanuary 19, 2016
I'd begin the day by planning sales goals,zoning, task management, check and review all associate attendance . Greet and chat in all of my internal guest, walk the store to check for any damages or messes left from the prior day.
Pros
great benefits and great pay, gratis
Cons
poor communication between all management, very gossipy enviroment, no positive feed back from anyone ever
Terrible
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Muskegon, MIApril 2, 2016
Management was terrible, hours were nonexistent, pay was futile, and raises were unheard of. Cashiers were not allowed to leave the cash wrap to help guests, and nobody had a name tag.
Run far, far away
Associate Manager of Operations (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NEDecember 11, 2015
Regional manager would come in and completely scold everyone due to his stress levels. I was working literally 13 hours shifts, because no one wanted to work for this company longer than a month. I was appalled at the structure of the company's methodology. I am one of the hardest workers I have ever came across, and I still was never able to accomplish 25% of the tasks that were assigned to me.
Benefits
Cons
Everything but the benefits and discounts--seriously people.
Best job
Beauty Advisor (Current Employee) –  Frisco, TXJanuary 27, 2016
I love love love love Ulta Beauty. I worked for Ulta during the summer of 2015 and christmas. I am still employee, only seasonal though. The environment of this job is great! The people are great! Out of all my jobs I've had, this is the best one. The only con is that, managers are not always on the same page, which affect us employees.
Pros
pay, benefits
Cons
lack of consistency
You will love what you do
Prestige Manager (Current Employee) –  Valdosta, GASeptember 23, 2015
I love what I do as a Prestige Manager at ULTA Beauty. It is a wonderful position that is very fulfilling when it comes to customer service. The only thing I would say could be better is the management. It is a top down company and those at the top make decisions without understanding the life of those at the bottom. I've always learned that when it comes to good leadership, you have to improve from the bottom up. You are only as strong as your weakest player. Corporate does not work that way for this company. They are hasty with decisions and do not keep they employees in mind often. Other than that, the store environment is fantastic, and being in the cosmetics and the beauty industry will definitely give you great experiences.
Pros
Salary, Benefits, Work Environment
Cons
Management, Strict policies
Great place to develop
Tucson, Arizona - Salon manager (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZNovember 6, 2015
Ulta is a great environment for learning and achieving goals.
Although it is easy to get caught up and not have a proper balance of life and work, Ulta can make it worth it. Unfortunately I was passed up for promotions and felt like I would not advance any further with them. I gave it my all and with over 8 years experience with them I thought it was worth it.
Pros
Great benifits
Cons
too Political with promotions and advancement.
Productive and fast paced enviroment
Temporary Hire for Store Set (Former Employee) –  Lawrence, KSJanuary 25, 2016
Even though I was only hired to set up the store, I had become proud of contributing my efforts towards opening. Always a fun and comfortable working atmosphere but also structured and goal oriented. Always had something to do, fast paced.
Pros
product compensation
Productive and Fun work environment
Prestige Beauty Advisor/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 6, 2016
Ulta Beauty and the workers are amazing. The work environment is productive and fun. Customer service is our number one work goal and making sure the customers leave with a great experience.
Pros
breaks, and very flexible with work/life
Cons
not enough work hours, no benefits for part time employees
Good benefits
Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKFebruary 14, 2016
Ulta provided good benefits and pay. The company itself is not a bad company it is the people that they hire to run their business that I found disappointing.
Could be better in certain areas
Beauty Advisor (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIAugust 18, 2015
My experience at Ulta was good for just getting exposed to the makeup world in an actual store.
I believe benefits could be better for workers, I did not get real training, just how to use the registers and open and close the store.
I wish I could have spent more time with my clients, we lost a few clients because we did not have people who could dedicate their time to the client and someone to locate products. I learned most pf my knowledge about product through them with having to buy most products. I would either work at register or work in prestige.
Most of my management was very negative and I dreaded to go to work to just hear complaining and negativity. The best part of the job itself was being to share tips and tricks with my clients about how to use a product or what t use it for. Mainly just having or building that connection with my client.
Pros
Gratis
Cons
Used gratis
Great environment to work just a lack of benefits
Part-time manager, and key-holder (Current Employee) –  Altoona, PAOctober 14, 2015
Great company to work for with flexible hours especially for students. No benefits if anything bellow full-time management. No time and a half for working on holidays except for thanksgiving. Coworkers become your family and always make work seem like a hobby rather than a job.
Pros
Great discount, flexible hours, fun place to work
Cons
No benefits, no pto, no time and a half for holidays

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Ulta. Our community is ready to answer.