Ulta Employee Reviews in United States

Found 1,365 reviews matching the search
Has the potential to be fun
Prestige Manager (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIAugust 25, 2016
Ulta has the potential to be a great company to work for and be a fun environment to work in. There were many positive aspects to the Prestige Manager position at Ulta, but they were constantly over shadowed by a lot of negative aspects. I.e.: There is definitely a lack of communication between upper and lower management and beauty advisors; The training process leaves something to be desired; and A work life balance is not something that's achievable while working at Ulta - schedule is given to you at short notice and changes are often made. Benefits and pay scale are decent, but not much vacation time is alotted. Also, if you're someone who enjoys being environmentally friendly - Ulta is not the place for you.
Pros
If you're in a management role you're eligible to receive free product, decent discount
Cons
No work/life balance, lots of waste produced, lack of skilled upper management
Decent
Associate Manager of Operations (Current Employee) –  Springfield, MOAugust 24, 2016
While I enjoyed most of my time at Ulta, the company hasn't been the same since I got hired. Lots of gray areas in their policies and not heading in right direction. Company focuses on things that we cannot control on a store level, and doesn't take employees opinions to heart. Debt free company because they do not compensate their employees fairly.
Pros
some gratis and a 25% discount on products, 50% on services
Cons
schedule always changing, poor retail hours, lots of gray areas in their policies
Stop
Associate Manager of Operation (Former Employee) –  Hoover, ALAugust 24, 2016
I loved my job but hated the management and the lack of professionalism, the racial profiling of customers and staff,also the favoritism between the district and general managers. This company would be amazing if it's staff followed the procedures set in place. And pay the associated better.
Pros
The customers, the staff, the culture.
Cons
everything else
Fun place to work at
Seasonal Beauty Advisor (Former Employee) –  Aventura, FLAugust 23, 2016
Days are either really busy or really slow, which can make time drag a bit. Beauty advisors normally just work the register or fix the items on the shelves. But overall it was a pretty great job.
Pros
The discounts
Cons
Rude customers
Pretty decent job
Sales Associate and Cashier (Current Employee) –  Greenville, SCAugust 22, 2016
You will never be bored here. We get tons of customers everyday. They start you $8.00 but I don't think they give raises to part time people.
Nice at first...
Hairstylist and Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Exton, PAAugust 22, 2016
Ulta was really nice to work for at first but the longer I worked there they switched up management. And the new management they brought in was one of the worst managed places I have ever worked. The managers were mean, rude and often had different opinions on different things (so no matter what you did it was wrong to at least one manager). You could never win. Got in trouble for talking to other employees on the floor and they often took away our breaks, which I'm pretty sure is illegal after working a certain amount of hours. Also, when you don't have clients you stock the shelves and don't get paid hourly cause your commission outweighs it, I had days when I would stock shelves for 6 hours and didn't get paid. Awful, awful place. I hated it. 7 people quit in one day and they didn't even have enough people to keep the store running so had to bring people in from other stores.
Pros
Uh, my regulars were nice.
Cons
Everything..especially management
Stressful and strict work environment
Beauty Advisor (Former Employee) –  Hurst, TXAugust 19, 2016
Appearance restrictions were too harsh on employees, such has which shades of certain colors were acceptable to wear, restrictions on how hair was styled were too strict as well, ex. wearing a simple ponytail wasn't acceptable, the hardest part of the job was having to provide customers information with little to no training, co-workers were usually fun to work with, although most of the management typically had a bad attitude towards everyone, I did however learn a great deal about make up, the industry, and gain retail experience.
busy
Picker/Packer (Former Employee) –  Bolingbrook, ILAugust 18, 2016
A typical day at work is everyone coming in, getting there work items, listening to the meeting, and going to the cart that is assigned to you. I learned that you have to be fast when working a picking job
Pros
decent pay
Cons
bad communication
Had family issues going on at the time....
Receiver/Stocker (Former Employee) –  Greenwood, INAugust 17, 2016
The staffing agency I went three was very demanding I could not keep up with the staffing requirements.. I have a family and children that depend on me...
Pros
Love working for ulta and in receiving department and also did a great job.
Cons
Just demanded to much over-time for me and my family
The most amazing place to work
Salon Manager (Current Employee) –  Morehead City, NCAugust 17, 2016
Ulta is a fun and exciting place to work, there are plenty of advancement and growth opportunities. Hands down this is the best job I've ever had. I would recommend this company to anyone who is a hard worker but likes to have fun.
Not at all what I was looking for
Skilled problem solver (Former Employee) –  Warren, MIAugust 15, 2016
Management was not at all upfront with hours, responsibilities, or even a weekly schedule that was workable. After researching the company I thought Ulta would be a good fit for me, unfortunately I was wrong.
Pros
swag
Cons
very short breaks, no honorable weekly schedule
Great benefits not so great with promoting within the salon market.
Salon manager (Former Employee) –  Flowood, MSAugust 15, 2016
I worked really hard from the bottom all the way to an elite 100k stylist while managing and the DM never recognized the salon for anything it's mostly about the retail aspects.
Benefits
Cons
No promotion
Not the fun environment I expected
Beauty Advisor (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 14, 2016
By far the most disappointing job I've had. I loved everyone I worked with but the management drove us all insane. They micromanaged every task. forced us to stay hours past our schedueled time, gave people 40 hour week periods without full-time benefits, and favored certain employees. And that's only the beginning of problems that occurred
Cons
horrible management, no growth, low pay, unfair
Fun Enviroment
Beauty Advisor/ Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Suffolk, VAAugust 13, 2016
Nice girls, surrounded by makeup and people who love it. A typical day is running the cash wrap or answering questions about products. Also doing color matches and swatches.
Temp Position
Sales Associate and Cashier (Former Employee) –  Modesto, CAAugust 11, 2016
A great temporary job if you want a part time position in a fun environment. Sometimes stressful but what job isn't. Good for those who just need something temporary or just want a few extra bucks in their wallet.
Pros
free samples, discounts
Cons
lack of hours, sometimes catty coworkers
Skin Therapist
Skin Therapist (Former Employee) –  Marquette, MIAugust 9, 2016
I was hired in thinking this could be a great stepping stone for my future career in a Medical Office, just something to put on my resume. I could literally only take working there for 3 months. You only get minimum wage, you only make commission if you reach Ulta's corporate goals they set for you. Having a $1000.00 goal to reach when you first start is impossible. And with only given 20hrs a week how is it even possible?? I was literally making less then some beauty advisors.
Cons
Unrealalistic goals, not enough hours, bad managers, treatmets not advanced.
Beauty Advisor (Current Employee) –  Carbondale, ILAugust 9, 2016
I enjoy working here and would recommend it to anyone who loves makeup. Downside is you sometimes spend your money on the makeup. The people are nice and management is fantastic.
Pros
Flexible
Poor company to work for
Stylist (Former Employee) –  Southlake, TXAugust 8, 2016
Worst place I have ever worked. Low pay. As a stylist when someone brings in a coupon, it comes out of your pay. Worked to death and no pay. Since you are on commission, they will send hourly employees home and have you stock the front without pay. You only get paid if you are doing hair. If you are the last stylist there at night, you are left to clean the whole salon by yourself. Store front is filthy.
Pros
Discount even on clearance.
Cons
Poor management, low pay.
n/a
Operation Manager (Former Employee) –  Redondo Beach, CAAugust 8, 2016
its never enough coverage and things always gets promise to you but never happens. there were a few friendly co workers i would say this job didn't feel like a family environment
Exciting work environment
Packer/Picker (Current Employee) –  Greenwood, INAugust 6, 2016
Great employees, work environment, supervisor. Ulta has good pay but the downside is short breaks and short notice on work hours