ULTA

ULTA Employee Reviews

productive fun place to work
Salon Manager/ Master Stylist (Current Employee), Virginia Beach, VAMay 28, 2015
Pros: employee discount, potential to make lots of money if you are a hair designer
Cons: not many hours for average cashier or sales associate..
Always an adventure, many great people and lots of different trends in make up, hair and fashion,
Co workers are great.
Management is hardworking and has a lot of tasks on a daily basis.
Hardest part of the job is getting everything done that is required .
Most enjoyable part of the job is the constant learning and interactions with guests.
Also has a great discount for employees as well as benefits for full time associates
Fast Growing Company with Opportunities
Manager (Former Employee), MissouriMay 28, 2015
Pros: Employee Discount on retail and services, some gratis
Cons: long hours, no breaks
No work/life balance for members of management, not enough payroll given to locations for basic coverage on sales floor, constantly changing processes with little/no direction or time to update and communicate changes with staff.
Excellent
Hairstylist/Cosmetologist (Former Employee), Austin, TXMay 26, 2015
Pros: Discounts
Cons: short breaks
This was an amazing place to work! I learned a lot and everyone was willing to help you out when you had questions. My manager was amazing and she taught me a lot. The company offered continuing education which is highly important. Each stylist was able to book appointments and sometimes, you didn't get treated fairly! This was the jump start to my career and I was honored to have worked with amazing stylist and manager!
Assists with make up and any other questions
Beauty Advisor (Former Employee), San Antonio , TXMay 26, 2015
assisting customers with and questions on beauty products
i learned more education on make up
most of our managers were very nice and fair
co workers were awesome and friendly
hardest part would have to be when things would get hectic and annoyed customers
what i enjoyed the most would have been all the happy customers i helped that left with a smile.
Ulta Beauty Review
Lead Cashier (Current Employee), Albany, GAMay 22, 2015
Pros: makeup discounts, salon discounts
Cons: not enough training given
typical day: helping women find makeup that is best for their skin
what I am learning: women spend more on makeup than the average person would think
hardest part of the job: wanting to help a customer from beginning to end but not being able to because of all the responsibilities
most enjoyable part of job: helping people feel good about their appearances, makeup discounts, salon discounts
Enjoyable work environment
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Raleigh,NCMay 21, 2015
Pros: 25$ discount on all products
Cons: short breaks, no benefits, not enough hours, low pay
I learned so much about cosmetics, skin and hair care products, beauty tools, and overall how to effectively, professionally, and kindly interact with customers. The hardest part of the job was truck day when the truck would come with all the products. I'd have to be at work by 4AM every Monday morning to sort through boxes and organize them according to product and then stock them in their proper place. The most enjoyable part of the job was the fact that I got to work for a company that I was already loyal to because I am a cosmetic and skin care guru. Management was inconsistent, we went through three different General Managers in just the time I worked there. My co-workers were professional and friendly, and always willing to lend a helping hand. A typical day at work would be coming in, clocking in, going up to the front counter and checking people out. Occasionally I'd be given additional projects like putting stray products back in their proper location or helping another department.
ulta
Stylist (Former Employee), Decatur, ALMay 20, 2015
Pros: Gave you tools to build clientele
Cons: not a lot of hours
Salon not promoted enough and awkwardly located in the store. Stylists are often made to do the retail employee's work.
Fun workplace with lots of things to do.
Beauty Advisor (Current Employee), Valencia, CAMay 19, 2015
Pros: Discount, flexible schedule.
Cons: Sometimes rude customers.
Mostly busy which is good. Lots of variety of people come into ulta to shop. Management and coworkers are friendly and helpful. I enjoy working with beauty products.
Fun Place to work at!
Hairstylist (Former Employee), Pinole, CAMay 17, 2015
Pros: continuing education
Cons: the salon manager was almost never there during my shift, and since i was a recent graduate sometimes I had questions
everyone is friendly and they're all willing to help each other. I definitely enjoyed working there. The manager was friendly. The hardest part was not being able to get a day off when I needed it, my manager wouldn't approve it nor would she let me trade shifts with my co-workers.
Productive and Nice work environment
Sr SAP FICO Functional Consultant (Current Employee), Bolingbrook, ILMay 17, 2015
Productive and Nice work environment,Productive and Nice work environment,Productive and Nice work environment,Productive and Nice work environment,Productive and Nice work environment
Hectic but fun
Ulta (Current Employee), Grand Junction, COMay 13, 2015
Fast food definitely wasn't my thing, but I did enjoy working there when I did. All my co-workers were friendly but there seemed to be to much drama.
WARNING this is an awful company to work for!!!!
Designer (Former Employee), Solon OhioMay 10, 2015
Pros: none
Cons: no hrs greedy company under qualified management poor moral extremely low wage
This company is a joke when it comes to a salon They pay you less than minimum wage and expect you to bring them over 30 new clients a month and you only get 20 hrs or less per wk. The Salon manager was not even qaulified based on her poor skill level of doing hair she's very unprofessional insecure and down right rude and plane nasty. The store manager is just as dumb and unprofessional she walks around watching and spying like she's the cops for no reason other than to avoid doing her job. Shes rude to customers and will try to avoid answering questions because she is lazy!! Any Hairstylist new or experienced don't waste your time with this company you won't advance but you will be expected to bring them money in the door. Sorry excuse for a salon!!
Terrible place to work!!!
former manager (Former Employee), IllinoisMay 8, 2015
Pros: gratis
Cons: no breaks/lunches, poor management, no training, no advancement, constantly threatened with job, treated poorly, lack of hours/sales
Working environment is cold unless you are part of the "click", constantly being threatened with your job by the District Manager who has no idea of what she is doing along with a general manager who is in a position that he should not be in---has no idea on how to manager a store or maximize sales. Lack of managers because they keep quitting because of the work environment. Pay is minimal for the amount of abuse you take, always getting yelled at. Hours are constantly cut because there are no sales, cashiers quit due to the way they are treated. Not a very hard job to do if you have the right skills and willing to learn, but one can only be yelled at and threatened so much that no one wants to be there. No room for advancement, no training to advance or even do your job correctly. If you expect a break or a lunch--you will not get it-- Would definitely not recommend anyone to work for this company--even if you are desperate! Run the other way!!1
Stylist/Colorist (Current Employee), Brooksville FloridaMay 7, 2015
Pros: FREE SALON SERVICE
Cons: HEALTH CARE
The discounts on merchandise and salon services was hands down the best part about working for Ulta. Health and vacation benefits were pretty standard but better than what is offered at other retail stores. The team at our store got a long really well and there was little to no drama.I got to work with the greatest people every day! It was a lot of fun planning and executing events
Awesome job
Sales associate (Former Employee), skokie, ilMay 5, 2015
Loved working here, so much fun! Demanding sales environment but fun products. I learned a lot about the products we sold and also sales techniques. The hardest part of this job was the physical demands of receiving and warehouse that was done on a weekly basis.
Good salon experience
Esthetician (Former Employee), Littleton, COMay 5, 2015
Pros: Free salon services
Cons: Everything
This was a nice opportunity to begin my esthetics career. However, the pay sucks, the management is horrible, and they don't treat you the way you should be.
Very fun environment
Cashier (Current Employee), Mobile, ALMay 5, 2015
Pros: Fun environment
Cons: Unpredictable schedule, no compensation for increasing sales, inconsistent managing....
The job itself is fun because you deal with customers and makeup. However, there are drawbacks. Your schedule is not consistent; you could have 10 hours this week and the following week only have 4. This makes it hard to plan for paying bills. If you work here, you should have another job (unless you do not have any bills and only need spending money.)
The management is not all on the same page. The training is not very thorough and this can cause problems when dealing with transactions at the register. One manager will tell you to do a return one way and then another manager will tell you you are wrong for doing a return that way. There are training videos, but they are not really deep. Same with the products of the store; there is no direct training on products (which makes it hard to sell.)
Also, the management wants you to increase sales, but then you are not directly compensated for increasing sales. It would be more beneficial for the company to offer incentives for increasing sales.
NICE WORKPLACE WITH GOOD OPPORTUNITY TO GAIN CLIENTS
ESTHETICIAN (Current Employee), ILLINOISMay 3, 2015
Pros: DISCOUNT ON PRODUCTS, FREE SALON SERVICES
Cons: DON'T GET PAID ENOUGH HOURLY IF U DO NOT MAKE COMMISION
AS AN ESTHETICIAN AT ULTA YOUR JOB IS PRETTY EASY I WORK WITH A GOOD GROUP OF GIRLS IN THE SALON. ONE OF THE DOWN SIDES OF WORKING HERE IS ULTA'S MARKETING FOR THE SKIN TREATMENTS ARE ONLY IN THE ULTA AD. NO OTHER ADVERTISING IS REALLY DONE SO ITS ALL UP TO THE SKIN THERAPIST TO TELL PEOPLE IN THE STORE ABOUT THE SKIN ROOM AND TREATMENTS. BEING IN THE STORE IS THE RIGHT PLACE TO BE IN ORDER TO GET NEW GUESTS IN THE ROOM BUT CAN BE A CHALLENGE. I ENJOY WHEN I MEET PEOPLE IN THE STORE AND i CAN HELP THEM WITH A SKIN CONCERN. I DON'T LIKE THAT THERE IS NO ADVERTISING ON WINDOWS OF STORE. MANY PEOPLE SAY THEY DIDN'T EVEN KNOW ULTA DID FACIALS! I DON;T LIKE WHEN THE STORE IS SLOW AND I HAVE NO CLIENTS THERE IS NOTHING TO DO BUT CLEAN OR STAND THERE WAITING FOR SOMEONE TO COME IN AND NEED HELP. I DONT LIKE THAT I WORK ONLY PART TIME AND THE OTHER ESTIE IS PART TIME AS WELL, IT WOULD BE BETTER WITH ONE FULL TIME ESTIE. THE SALON MANAGER DOES NOT PROMOTE THE SKIN ROOM AT ALL.
Horrible. Horrible. Horrible.
Esthetician (Former Employee), CNYMay 2, 2015
Pros: Nothing
Cons: management, expectations, pay.
I was the esthetician for the salon at ulta. In my interview for this job I was promised $20 an hour. So obviously I took the job! When I was hired and brought on, I began my paperwork, during this time my manager who was the salon manager told me my pay would be $8.75 an hour. At this moment I knew this job was going to suck. Which it sure did. 20 hours a week, four days a week. I was straight out of beauty school, only had my temp license, clearly no clientele. I was expected to have at least 25 new clients every month with at least 10-15 rebooks. Not how being an esthetician works out through ulta. I got MAYBE 3 clients a week with MAYBE 1 rebook. So around 10 clients a month, on average I did about 5 rebooks. Some how, by some miracle I made my client and rebook requirements the first two months. By my third month it started slowing down tremendously. It was so slow I cried before work every day. I only worked 4 days a week so I couldn't always be there on the day you do calls to confirm your appointments for two days later. So of course none of the stylists would help me out and do my calls, so I would be stuck waiting around for clients and they not show up. Or i would have set everything up and be waiting and a stylist tell me an hour later they called and cancelled. THANKS SO MUCH. The Tuesday before I got fired I asked for a personal day since my grandmother was on her way to the hospital due to cancer and needing chemo! I had no appointments, never did on Tuesdays and my manager told me to be at work. K. I went to work without any complaints. Came back Thursday for – more... my second shift of the week. Half hour drive there, half hour at work, and then I was "discharged" or what you would like to call being fired. I was fired because I didn't bring in enough clients and I didn't rebook enough for the month. Mind you that I had a client that night that would have rebooked, a client the next day, and about 6 clients for the following Saturday. But they didn't give me a chance to prove to them I was starting to get clients. I was told immediately to gather my things and leave. My client for the night was called the day of her appt and told she would have to reschedule. She never responded so she probably came in thinking she was getting her facial she had confirmed the day before! I could go on for hours about how much I hated working for ulta. Everyone who worked there was two faced and just ignored you. I would not work here even if you paid me enough. Not worth it. – less
Associate Manager of Operations (Current Employee), Lafayette, LAApril 29, 2015
A typical day at Ulta requires a great personality, quick thinking, strong problem solving skills and the ability to work and learn independently. I have learned how manage my time, get things done, and provide excellent customer service at a fast pace in a high volume store. Management is both stable and supportive. My co-workers are fun people who like to get things done. The hardest part of my job is keeping my team motivated and moving in a positive direction through the all day, every day challenges that occur at a high volume store. I enjoy the atmosphere at Ulta.

1 2 3 4 5

About ULTA

Ulta Salon, Cosmetics & Fragrance wants to be every woman's ultimate beauty stop. The company operates┬ásome 450 stores in 43 states. – Read more

ULTA Salaries