Ulta Employee Reviews

Found 1,417 reviews matching the search
Great Benefits
General Manager (Former Employee) –  IllinoisSeptember 23, 2016
DM's are great and awesome benefits for FT staff. Major downfall is not enough hours or key holders so very little flexibility for manager schedules. Managers during holiday season get no breaks, and often work 6-7 hours before another manager is in to relieve for lunches. A lot of opportunities within the corporate office, but not as much for management. If you do your job right, and follow the rules, your job is secure. Store life can be fun. You're expected to give a lot of attention to guests, but there is rarely enough staff to help all the guest.
Pros
good benefits, Management often gets free product to use.
Cons
lack of staff hours
My particular store, horrible.
Prestige Beauty Advisor (Former Employee) –  Overland Park, KSSeptember 19, 2016
If you don't fit in with the ladies that work there, you're done for. The morals there are just ridiculous. It's like high school. No way I could have been given a raise or promotion with how I was being treated. I LOVED my job description.... hated the job. Always behind a register, always being ridiculed (not in a constructive way) and there's a lot of trash talking as well. Oh, and the hours are a waste of time. Seriously. 4 hours a week?
Pros
discount
Cons
everything else
very stressful,can be a fun working environment.
BENEFIT BROW BAR ARCH EXPERT (Current Employee) –  Round Rock, TXSeptember 20, 2016
Honestly I love what I do but the company as a whole i wouldn't recommend, or at least the Austin district. They over work you and you aren't paid 99% of the time for the level of work you do. the pay in general is a joke and forget about raises. Honestly if you're just looking for something part time and just want a cashier job or want a discount on makeup then apply.
Pros
fun working environment, discounts
Cons
healthcare, pay, management
Its a great place to work!
Associate Manager of people (Current Employee) –  Naperville, IL 60540September 19, 2016
A typical Day.
woking with clients and vendors.
opening and closing the store.
filling paper work.
handling cash deposits and pick ups.
supplie ording.
making relationships.

What I learned,
How to be a leader.
To make the hard calls.
How to keep strong relationships.

The hardest part.
Trying to raise a family with this job.

Management.
They work as a team.
Strong work ethic.

co workers.
Are great.

The best part of my job?
I making relationships with every person i meet.
Pros
401k and benefits
Cons
short brakes, work life balance, and no set schedules.
Drink the kool-aid
General Manager (Former Employee) –  ILSeptember 18, 2016
Thriving organization with an amazing senior leadership team that truly cares for those that work for them. This cascades down well into the store level and is shown in the experiences that all we as managers and beauty advisors were allowed.

Most challenging was a tight payroll model that made days challenging at times to truly service all guests however the company is on fire so its hard to fix what isn't broken.
Pros
25% discount on product and 50% discount on services, career opportunities due to company growth
Cons
tight payroll model, training is sink or swim
Great if you work for a sponsored brand.
Lead Benefit Arch Expert (Former Employee) –  Gastonia, NCAugust 30, 2016
I worked for Benefit at Ulta. Benefit, Lancome, and now Clinique hire associates to represent that brand in that store. Those associates- aside from management- are the only ones who will receive full-time and steady hours. You also get paid a few dollars more an hour working for these brands, but the jobs are harder to come by. At Benefit, I was able to make my own schedule for my appointments. I used an alternating A/B week schedule.

Regular store associates have fluctuating schedule and may have 35 hours one week and 12 the next.
Pros
free gratis
Good Part Time Job
Operations Associate (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 31, 2016
Working part time is enjoyable. I get to meet new people and interact with customers. My day would start out in the morning having to finish the tasks that need to be completed before the store would open. Tasks would be setting up planograms for updated products or new products, restocking shelfs with excessive items that are in the stock room. Days we have shipment, would be to restock the entire store with the shipment pallets we get from the distribution centers.
a good job if you don't have any bills to pay
Beauty Advisor (Former Employee) –  Greeley, COSeptember 16, 2016
They only gave me 4-8 hours at week, which, granted, is what they said they'd do until you proved your worth basically, but I was there for several weeks and they continued to only give me the bare minimum of hours even though I worked my butt off from day one. I also received no breaks. I have a new car I have to pay for, so I decided to find another job. When I quit, the store manager was extremely rude to me. So, yeah, if you're in high school or if you are someone who doesn't have any bills to pay and just want $70 a week, go ahead and work here.
Pros
employee discount
Cons
recieved no breaks, hostile managers, terrible hours/pay
Great for make-up enthusiasts.
Beauty Advisor (Former Employee) –  Henderson, NVSeptember 14, 2016
I enjoyed my time working at Ulta Beauty. I would recommend for individuals interested in working in the make-up field and want to get their foot in the door. It was great experience for me overall learning retail, customer interaction and playing with new make-up. It was part-time for any employee who wasn't a manager. Moving up in the business I believe would take a long time. The only negative was that their was hardly any advancement or growth.
Pros
Discount
Cons
Hours
Ulta is a stellar company on the cutting edge of the beauty industry.
Esthetician / Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Garner, NCSeptember 20, 2016
Everyday working as an Esthetician for Ulta was challenging and rewarding.
The manager's and corporate, we're effective communicators and treated all staff equally.
Ulta is one of a few cutting edge beauty retailer's.
I had a semi-private work space.
Which was genius. Having only a pod, brought potential customers to take a look at me working on my clients.
I was not micro managed and the processes ran smoothly day to day.
I would highly recommend Ulta ac a customer, client or employee.
I also appreciated the competitive spirit between coworkers.
Pros
Receiving gratis from cosmetic and skin companies.
Cons
The store commute was a bit far.
Decent
Associate Manager of Operations (Current Employee) –  Springfield, MOAugust 24, 2016
While I enjoyed most of my time at Ulta, the company hasn't been the same since I got hired. Lots of gray areas in their policies and not heading in right direction. Company focuses on things that we cannot control on a store level, and doesn't take employees opinions to heart. Debt free company because they do not compensate their employees fairly.
Pros
some gratis and a 25% discount on products, 50% on services
Cons
schedule always changing, poor retail hours, lots of gray areas in their policies
Disorganized management
Merchandise Manager (Current Employee) –  Charleston, WVAugust 31, 2016
Corporate most of the time has no idea what they're doing. The company could be great to work for, if you decide to not depend on anyone else. Teamwork is encouraged but falls apart easily in a company of mostly women who only look out for themselves. Stores have sales competitions but more often than not employees at a level anywhere under a General Manager never see the prizes. Corporate makes occasional visits to stores but doesn't do anything besides "grade" us and leave. No changes are ever made and no opinions are ever asked on how to improve.
Empowering and Fair
Senior Designer, Salon Manager Trainee (Former Employee) –  Gilbert, AZAugust 29, 2016
My experience with the company as a whole was they operate to empower and celebrate women! But not just women, All who work for this company are given the tools to better themselves, most of my experience was wonderful. There is dramatic attitudes of behavior everywhere, but I must admit overall this company brings people together.
Pros
Empowering, Healthy Relationships, full access to education
Cons
The pay is not as competitive as it could be.
Be ready for what happens next
Associate Manager of People (Former Employee) –  Eau Claire, WISeptember 3, 2016
Ulta is a fast paced guest eccentric environment
Beauty knowledge is key here
They carry over 5,000 brands and 20,000 sku s so be prepared for questions about products you know nothing about typically you can rely on your team members for assistance in these types of situations otherwise you're all on your own to know basically everything a licensed cosmetologist and esthetician knows from years of school and training.
Pros
gratis, discount, product knowledge, the staff
Cons
short breaks, short staffed, no payroll, register issues, long lines, angry customers
Worst job ever
Beauty Advisor/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Chico, CASeptember 21, 2016
I wish I could give this job a negative 1000. This was by far the worst job I've ever had and I've had some horrible jobs. My manger made everyone uncomfortable by pressuring us to get credit cards and loyalty sales. If we didn't our hours would get cut. Their is soooo much favortism it's gross. Oh and you only will get 21 hours at the MOST. If you want a job that's going to pay the bills and not make you come in for a 6pm-9pm save yourself the trouble and please don't apply. This was a waste of my few months that I can never get back
Pros
25% of makeup
Cons
Everything!
Right Hand doesn't know what the Left hand is doing
Moderator/Skip Chaser (Current Employee) –  Greenwood, INSeptember 22, 2016
Very unorganized and hectic work environment. I'm VERY good at understanding a process already in place, and noticing the choke points that need assistance in furthering the flow of product/information to the customer. People are numbers, not individuals. My successful moto in life is to empower the people around me positively through group based incentive opportunities. Not while ignoring deadlines or being easy-going on the job. The balance is set by me with my actions and smile! I'm looking for an employer that is willing to let me flourish.
Pros
Free Make Up for the wife!
Cons
Absolutely no life outside of working due to OT groups not working properly
Stressful and strict work environment
Beauty Advisor (Former Employee) –  Hurst, TXAugust 19, 2016
Appearance restrictions were too harsh on employees, such has which shades of certain colors were acceptable to wear, restrictions on how hair was styled were too strict as well, ex. wearing a simple ponytail wasn't acceptable, the hardest part of the job was having to provide customers information with little to no training, co-workers were usually fun to work with, although most of the management typically had a bad attitude towards everyone, I did however learn a great deal about make up, the industry, and gain retail experience.
Skin Therapist
Skin Therapist (Former Employee) –  Marquette, MIAugust 9, 2016
I was hired in thinking this could be a great stepping stone for my future career in a Medical Office, just something to put on my resume. I could literally only take working there for 3 months. You only get minimum wage, you only make commission if you reach Ulta's corporate goals they set for you. Having a $1000.00 goal to reach when you first start is impossible. And with only given 20hrs a week how is it even possible?? I was literally making less then some beauty advisors.
Cons
Unrealalistic goals, not enough hours, bad managers, treatmets not advanced.
Poor company to work for
Stylist (Former Employee) –  Southlake, TXAugust 8, 2016
Worst place I have ever worked. Low pay. As a stylist when someone brings in a coupon, it comes out of your pay. Worked to death and no pay. Since you are on commission, they will send hourly employees home and have you stock the front without pay. You only get paid if you are doing hair. If you are the last stylist there at night, you are left to clean the whole salon by yourself. Store front is filthy.
Pros
Discount even on clearance.
Cons
Poor management, low pay.
I'm very happy at ULTA
Salon Manager/Stylist (Current Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MIAugust 26, 2016
I am a Salon Manager/Stylist at Ulta Beauty and I love my job! Every person who I have met that works at Ulta has been professional and friendly.

Ulta takes training seriously and gives its employees all the tools needed to be successful. They train on hair styling/color techniques and also business building which is so important in this industry.

The most enjoyable part of my job is coaching other stylists and also being able to do hair. It's also fun getting to help the guests with makeup and other products that we sell. The hardest part would be having to turn away clients because we can get very busy at times.
Pros
good salary, discount, benefits, bonuses, education driven salon, access to the best products and styling tools.
Cons
the dress code is boring

2.9