Ulta Employee Reviews

Found 1,510 reviews matching the search
easy job to go play all day
Prestige Manager (Current Employee) –  City of Sunrise, FLNovember 8, 2016
there is a lot of ego in this industry and people clearly play favorites. You know its hard to get fired so people basically slack off and have no regard for management. Its bad either way.
You are a glorified warehouse worker, must do hard labor, pretty much except if you are a cashier, and who wants to do that forever.
Just not professional nor encouraging.People actually hold back information from teaching you so that you look ignorant. Retail makes you really dislike people
Pros
benefits for fulltime
Cons
attitude, heavy boxes, alot of bending, shedule
DO not be an Etsy here
Esthetician (Former Employee) –  Fenton, MINovember 14, 2016
The girls in the salon are catty and think of themselves as better than you, they say they recommend ppl to you yet they take some of your makeup clients and the place has too high of a sales goal for you to reach in the type of location it is in also they expect way too much out of you in 90 days when everyone knows it takes at least 1 yr to get a clientele started... you also feel unappreciated because you bust your self only for them to hold the salon at a high rank and they also make you do retail work so its like your working 2 jobs and getting paid for one its very overwhelming at times and don't let me forget the micromanaging that happens and major favoritism
Enjoyed the job, not the management.
Beauty Advisor/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  CharlestonNovember 30, 2016
I liked the job at Ulta, I enjoyed my fellow part timers and associate managers. However, the GM and Co are catty and unprofessional. They reminded me of high school girls gossiping about everyone and I felt bullied in a way. I couldn't ask a legit question without being made to look, and feel like an idiot. There is much more to it than that. Leaving that job was the best thing I've done for myself. Too bad the management was awful, because the job itself was cool. Being around make up was amazing and I loved helping the clientele.
Pros
Gratis, cool coworkers
Cons
Management !
fun place to work at, horrible management
Lead Salon Guest Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Irving, TXNovember 30, 2016
I learned a lot about customer service, my management sucked, stylists were amazing. Hardest part was being the only receptionist on a busy day, such as Saturday. Lines would be long, all four lines would ring at the same time, but that taught me so much time management and how to keep conversations respectable but as minimal as possible. Over all, this tremendously busy salon kept me on my feet the entire 8-9 hour shifts and taught me so much. but I would NEVER go back.

also, turn-over is skyrocketing there.
Pros
free hair services
Cons
salon manager was horrible, never show appreciation, no raises even after it was promised
Drama
Assistant Manager Operations (Former Employee) –  Shreveport, LANovember 22, 2016
Management deals with lots of crazy situations, corporate supplies absolutely no backbone to you, your store or your situation. Tasking is required 100% of the time, and gives you little to no support on training. The people you work with are usually wonderful and the bad ones filter out. But your efforts will go unnoticed until they are stopped. So don't try too hard or you get in trouble.
Pros
Immediate staff is always so awesome, discounts, and feeling "pretty"! 🤗
Cons
Poor upper management, poor "full disclosure" policies, no relief on certain days, no "team" building continuations, poor relay of responsibilities
Would love to still work here
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Alameda, CANovember 15, 2016
My typical day at work was the same as most retail businesses, but the thing that made me enjoy my job is my passion for the beauty industry. I loved helping customers find their perfect makeup look, color, etc. it felt like shopping with a friend.
I learned a lot about how the brands works and sell, every so often we would get lessons from different brands which was exceptionally informative and helped to sell more product.
But the last two months I worked there, we got a new general manager who was awful, she gave off that she felt she was better than everyone and smarter, etc. I could not work with a person who made me feel uncomfortable in a place I love it was not worth the misery.
Friendly, caring and every helpful
Material Handler (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZNovember 28, 2016
Easy to work with the product and stocking them. You learn a lot about the product, different departments, team work. Friendly place to work with your co-workers and management. The hardest part at first is to get your productive to a percent. The most enjoyable part of the job is everybody helps everybody out and works as a team. Management helps you to make your percent and if you are having and trouble with your assignment.
Pros
Pizza, donuts, lunches for a good job done. Holiday parties
Cons
10 minute breaks, hard to find a parking place
Great Store, bad management.
Stylist (Former Employee) –  Compton, CAOctober 31, 2016
The company had a lot of issues with scheduling, and policies. the managers I had were all fired. To this day they still send me employee information after I was "fired" by the salon manager, even though the store manager and corporate did not know about it. it was a lot to deal with. The store is great, but the company needs serious help.
Pros
great information on new professional products, great servies offered at the salon and brow bar.
Cons
bad managers, constant log in errors with company programs, alot of stealing in that area
fun, I was able to be productive in this environment, co workers were great
coordinator (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXOctober 24, 2016
I would work with a lot of complaints and management problems, I would have to figure out a solution that was both fair for the customer and the worker.
Customer service and dealing with numbers and paper work was mainly a typical day working at Ulta.
My co workers were very helpful and productive most of the time it was easy for me to do my job working with them.
I enjoyed being able to help the customers out and solve their problems.
Pros
working with great customers
Cons
possibly not long enough breaks
Worst company to work for. High turnover rate!
Prestige Beauty Advisor (Current Employee) –  Billings, MTOctober 21, 2016
Ulta at first was an amazing company to work for until you've been there for awhile then they treat you like poo...not competitive pay at all and they expect you to work your butt off. There is no opportunity for advancement in this company either.
Pros
Great discount
Cons
Not enough hours given to employees that would love extra hours, managers are too busy to care about regualar beauty advisors, not able to take Christmas or Thanksgiving off to spend with family, do not have competitve wage at all

Want to know more about Ulta?

Ask a question
Best Company to work for
Salon Manager (Current Employee) –  Cranberry, PAOctober 25, 2016
Ulta Beauty cares about their employees as well as the customers. I couldn't have chosen a better company. Its nice to work for someone that listens to their employees and takes into consideration ever concern between guests and employees. Being a part of a salon where I'm not forced to put forth my own money is very important as well, we are provided tools and products to fit our needs to ensure we are able to do our job correctly.
Fun, upbeat, and supportive environment but...
Hair Designer (Former Employee) –  Scottsdale, AZOctober 16, 2016
Management can be great or horrible. Super corporate. As long as you can play by their guide lines it can be a really great place to start off in that industry. Pay is weak considering you just want to spend all your money there anyways.
Pros
25% employee discount, learning about industry is unlimited, can advance pay grades
Cons
Horrible schedule, work most holidays, lots of cleaning, management can be crude and corporate
Great work environment
Cosmetic Counter Manager (Former Employee) –  Muncie, INOctober 12, 2016
I loved working for this company, I was hired in to be their Clinique rep but all of my benefits came from ulta. They're a great company and were so willing to work with me. I would still be employed through them if I hadn't been forced to leave the state due to personal problems. Great management and staff, I was full time so the work life balance was a little difficult with retail hours but I loved it. Full insurance benefit package for full time employees, and it was amazing! So affordable! The makeup industry is one I've been in before with another retailer and I must say it was the complete opposite of working with Ulta. I highly recommend this company!
Pros
discounts, fun environment, plenty of makeup events
Cons
retail hours
Position at ulta
Merchandising Service Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHOctober 19, 2016
This company started out well and I was able to go to the next level in the company at my site and when I was offered a position, I left pressured to accept the position then when I turned it down, I was not an,e to go out for another position and after months later it was still effecting me. I left since I left the company would not allow me to move pass my position.
Pros
Discounts
Cons
No breaks unless a period of time
Prestige advisor
Prestige Beauty Advisor (Current Employee) –  IllinoisNovember 13, 2016
Pay is not good, hours are not guaranteed, and expect to work every weekend unless you request off. From the end of October through Christmas you are not allowed to request off. Most managers only care about pushing sales, regardless if the customers haven't necessarily they are interested in certain products.
Pros
Free products with training
Cons
Work weekends, hours aren't great, pay is not good, dead end job.
Productive and great company to work for!
BEAUTY ADVISOR (Former Employee) –  Gretna, LASeptember 28, 2016
I loved my job at ULTA!
A typical day, Go in and clock in and help customers on the floor or whichever area you're assigned to that day!
I learned so much about makeup, hair and skin products to last me a lifetime.
I absolutely loved my coworkers and my managers!
The hardest part of the job is suggesting a product I've never used before.
Most enjoyable part was getting to meet with costumers and try and help them feel more beautiful!
Pros
Helping people
Cons
Felt like I couldn't grow in the company and pay/raises
Fun place to work but know your beauty!
Front End Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FL 32828September 26, 2016
Ulta is a fast paced environment that encourages their employees to engage with customers and sell merchandise. I personally felt that the company was constantly struggling to hit profit margins & all corporate training was basically just watching a video in the back. The store's stock room also served as the employee's break room so there really wasn't anywhere for the employees to escape and get a breather. During the holidays is the busiest time of year. Theft is a day-to-day challenge that employees must keep their eyes out for.
Pros
Beauty supplies, hair salon, sales
Cons
Hourly wage, busy holidays, no breakroom
Great Benefits
General Manager (Former Employee) –  IllinoisSeptember 23, 2016
DM's are great and awesome benefits for FT staff. Major downfall is not enough hours or key holders so very little flexibility for manager schedules. Managers during holiday season get no breaks, and often work 6-7 hours before another manager is in to relieve for lunches. A lot of opportunities within the corporate office, but not as much for management. If you do your job right, and follow the rules, your job is secure. Store life can be fun. You're expected to give a lot of attention to guests, but there is rarely enough staff to help all the guest.
Pros
good benefits, Management often gets free product to use.
Cons
lack of staff hours
Right Hand doesn't know what the Left hand is doing
Moderator/Skip Chaser (Current Employee) –  Greenwood, INSeptember 22, 2016
Very unorganized and hectic work environment. I'm VERY good at understanding a process already in place, and noticing the choke points that need assistance in furthering the flow of product/information to the customer. People are numbers, not individuals. My successful moto in life is to empower the people around me positively through group based incentive opportunities. Not while ignoring deadlines or being easy-going on the job. The balance is set by me with my actions and smile! I'm looking for an employer that is willing to let me flourish.
Pros
Free Make Up for the wife!
Cons
Absolutely no life outside of working due to OT groups not working properly
Worst job ever
Beauty Advisor/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Chico, CASeptember 21, 2016
I wish I could give this job a negative 1000. This was by far the worst job I've ever had and I've had some horrible jobs. My manger made everyone uncomfortable by pressuring us to get credit cards and loyalty sales. If we didn't our hours would get cut. Their is soooo much favortism it's gross. Oh and you only will get 21 hours at the MOST. If you want a job that's going to pay the bills and not make you come in for a 6pm-9pm save yourself the trouble and please don't apply. This was a waste of my few months that I can never get back
Pros
25% of makeup
Cons
Everything!