Ulta Employee Reviews in United States

Found 1,250 reviews matching the search
Possitive Energy
TASK/ Beauty Advisor (Former Employee) –  Glendale, NYMay 2, 2016
Exceptional customers service and very professional and cleanliness. They have provide employees with training and led us to a path that we are able to handle customers and also learn about the brands and products
Working with Beauty products
Cashier/Sales Associate/Beauty Advisor (Former Employee) –  Fresno, CAApril 30, 2016
I enjoyed working there, but 8 hours a week wasn't enough for me. I liked the dress code and enviroment. The struggle was real, when trying to fit in as the new girl.
Pros
working with makeup
Cons
not enough hours
If you are an Esthetician. Beware!!!!
Esthetician and Makeup Artist (Former Employee) –  Tarpon Springs, FLApril 30, 2016
Omg!!!!!! I worked the spas for few years.. I have 600 hours of training and am liscened in everything clinically possible. Body wrapping-eyelashes-tinting-advanced peels.
They pay you basically minimum wage, talk to you like being pays scraps. Treat you like you are fresh out of high school but expect the highest quality esti!
I was led around and around by mangmt, the customers don't tip, the prices of the items are so high they can't afford to, you only get credit for the stuff you sell (10 percent) when they have had a service by you.. Well.. There goes your tip.
And God forbid you stand around! They are not afraid to embarrass you in front of co workers or customers even for no reason! Go sell for other employees!! (Even though my client was due)
I was great at selling products, got no credit, and no thank you.my store hit target the first time/ month I was there. Not one bit of kindness.
Oh and you have to be inspected in front of the entire store upon arrival and any exit of the store. But even look at you funny if you coming to shop on your day off on your day off. I let HR know that I thought the business decision was not effective and look horrible in front of customers. We would have to wait for a manager to clear us out even if we had to leave in an emergency. Ulta you need to do better
Pros
Nice to use the products and learn about them. Liked my coworkers
Cons
Explained
Fun place to work
MERCHANDISE SERVICE COORDINATOR / SALON MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAApril 29, 2016
A typical day at work consist of managing individuals who do not support the work culture, and what I learned is that upper management have little or no support with regard to developing, coaching or mentoring. Hardest part of the job is the high level of external theft that occurs and the fact that the company implemented a foolish theft deterrent system in which one employee was actually accosted by a thief. The employee was later told by LP personnel that she provoked the thief because she asked her to leave the merchandise in the store.
Pros
Opportunity to network with some amazing customers
Cons
Virtually no breaks, no support from upper management
Beauty Destination
GENERAL MANAGER (Current Employee) –  Chandler, AZApril 29, 2016
Great company to work for......moving to Indiana and trying to transfer with the company. Would love to continue my career.
Fun Job
Beauty Advisor (Former Employee) –  Morgantown, WVApril 28, 2016
I would never know weather they would consecutively schedule me two weeks in a row or not because they hired so many people. Having to compete with so many other girls to get hours wasn't fair. They definitely pick favorites when scheduling.
Pros
its ulta! the discount
Cons
No hours, too many people working
Management was'nt consistent and servers were treated unfair
Retail Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHApril 28, 2016
Stressful, unpleasant. The only rewarding thing were the customers and more specific the regulars that came in just for your service.
Cons
No food runners, understaffed
nice fun enviroment for any makeup junkie!
Prestige Beauty Advisor (Current Employee) –  Tempe, AZApril 26, 2016
If you work your tail off its rewarding. Love the fact that you get to check stuff out before it launches. I learned to be the go to person for anything!
Pros
free makeup and employee discount
Ambitious company
Associate Manager of Operations (Current Employee) –  Irving, TXApril 25, 2016
I feel that Ulta is definitely an ambitious company to work for, promotion opportunities are prevelant throughout the stores, but so is the turn over rate. They still don't have fully developed processes and procedures, which can make it confusing for new department managers. They don't have fully formed training programs for their new managers either, so not everyone receives the same or all of the information needed to do their jobs efficiently. The hardest part of the job was trying to do the best that you could with only half of the information and training to go on. I do not recommend this particular location, as the store manager is very new to the position and the company. In my opinion the treatment of the associates is poor and regards for their own personal lives isn't taken into account in everyday business affairs.
Very unorganized management and H.R.
Salon Manager (Former Employee) –  New JerseyApril 25, 2016
H.R. never returns phone calls on interviewed potential employees, while they say we always get back to all candidates either way hired or not. Never happened, very unprofessional , bait and switch tactics, Ulta needs to have more Salon management operating the salon areas instead of district, and general managers that have no clue about the salon industry, they just focus on retail and what you can do for the company. The company goes through so many salon managers, something not right with this picture. Well all I have to say Ulta is you let great professional people slip through your fingers, as I constantly see the same help wanted ads for specific areas and locations over and over.
Pros
no comment
Cons
no comment
Great to get foot in the door with makeup
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZApril 23, 2016
If you are looking to start off in the makeup business Ulta is great to start with. But, there is not much training if you aren't prestige and when you are in management it's hard to have a life outside work.
Think before you apply
Esthetician (Former Employee) –  Clarksville, TNApril 22, 2016
I could go on for days but this place gives a bad name to the beauty industry. Future stylists, estheticians and anyone interested working as a beauty advisor, you deserve so much better than this. From the lack of work/life balance and shady behavior from management , it's not worth it. They do not care about the employees. This is why turnover is so high. Do better, Ulta.
Pros
Gratis, clients were nice
Cons
Work/life balance, management
Beauty Advisor (Former Employee) –  Murfreesboro, TNApril 21, 2016
If you love makeup then this is the job for you. Management and coworkers are nice. Work load is no too much. You learn new things about beauty everyday.
Okay
Prestige Beauty Advisor (Former Employee) –  South Florida, FLApril 20, 2016
typical day at work was pretty chill
what I learned was how to work with a group
management could of been better, there was only 3 managers who actually did their jobs.
co-workers where amazing
hardest part of the job was the language barrier between myself and the tourists
most enjoyable part was helping the guests find the right products for them.
Worst experience of my life
General Manager (Former Employee) –  New JerseyApril 20, 2016
I worked for Ulta for about a year. They pay poorly and treat you even worse. The upper management has no sense of accountability and will completely throw their GMs under the bus is they need to protect themselves. They (at least in my former district) dislike people of color and will push you out if you call HR, as they did with one of my associates. They give zero training and tell you to search ULTAnet and good like finding the correct wording for what you are looking for. Don't ask your DM for assistance or support either, because 98% of the time she had no idea. Be prepared to work around 60 hours a week (and get paid for 40). If you leave early after working a 14 hour shift the day before, be prepared to be written up. Working for Ulta was probably the worst mistake I've made in my career.
Pros
I loved my in store team
Cons
Upper Managment is careless and rude, no sense of respect for in store teams, zero training
a claustrophobic work space with no administrative support
Manager & Hairstylist (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAApril 20, 2016
• Managed store operations, balanced a $5K budget, conducted monthly meetings, ran sales reports, demonstrated and sold fashion and hairstyle products, coordinated a salon and retail team of 30.
• Managed five staff, assigned tasks, coordinated scheduling, analyzed and reported on sales figures, provided coaching, and conducted remedial training as necessary.
• Managed the appointment book, email marketing, client reviews, and sales utilizing Shortcuts Software.
• Developed a clientele base, planned and implemented promotional events, maintained long term client relationships, and increased initial portfolio by over 200%.

A pro would be managing the team I had and feeling like I was part of something. Unfortunately the cohesiveness of the retail to salon team was not there. Bringing salon culture into an extremely corporate environment such as a retail store; the model is flawed and nothing was done to change that. It was not a correct fit for my values.
Pros
great benefits/healthcare
Cons
frustrating enviornment
Great Job and experience
Seasonal Beauty Advisor (Former Employee) –  Waterford, CTApril 18, 2016
My overall experience working at Ulta was great. My co-workers were a pleasure to work with. It was also very nice helping customers figure out what they wanted and needed. A typical work day was mostly busy. I usually worked the cash register, but when I was not at the cash register I was helping customers. There was not really many challenges, but when there were I was sure to ask for help and made sure I did my best. Overall working at Ulta was a joyful experience.
fun place
Beauty Advisor (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAApril 18, 2016
• Makes eye contact, smiles, and promptly acknowledges and greets each guest entering the store, or guests within close proximity while moving throughout the store.
• Offers friendly, knowledgeable and courteous service. Understands that guest service is the top priority and ceases performing tasks when guests are present and in need of assistance.
• Determines each guest’s needs and answers questions concerning products and services. If necessary, partners with management to ensure the guest’s needs are met.
• While serving guests, recommends additional and complementary products and/or services based on information provided by the guest or items already selected for purchase.
Job
Beauty Advisor, (Current Employee) –  Fenton, MOApril 18, 2016
poor management, not very friendly coworkers, very unwelcoming. They take you off the schedule randomly. Not very many hours and when you call in for emergencies they punish you by not giving you hours.
Pros
discounts
N/a
U.S Security (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLApril 17, 2016
Working for this company was great, its indoors, I greet customers and look out for shoplifters, the staffs are friendly and the management is good. I enjoyed working there.