ULTA

ULTA Employer Reviews

Fast paced environment
Salon Manager (Current Employee), Denton, TXJuly 28, 2014
The company has a good work/home ballance. They have technical as well as personal training for salon. They care about there employees.
Great Place
Salon Manager (Current Employee), Winter Park, FLJuly 26, 2014
I do not want to write anything here! look them up on their website if you want more information. I want to move forward in my career and am bored.
Makeup artist dream!
Beauty Advisor (Former Employee), North Port, FLJuly 26, 2014
Pros: breaks
Cons: not enough hours, favoritism
Open and close the store. Cashier, have guests sign up for rewards cards. Color match, give makeovers. Find colors that blend with guests faces. Know about each brand of makeup, and skin care. Know about sales, Add ons, GWP (Gift with purchase) and salon services. In charge of truck when scheduled for it. My favorite part of the job was not only the – more... makeup, but I love helping those find what they need. I am a big peoples person, and seeing the look on their face, and that wonderful communication with them makes them come back. I love being the reason why a guest comes back. – less
Exciting and contemporary workplace
Merchandise Coordinator (Former Employee), Summerville, SCJuly 25, 2014
Pros: learning about new products
Cons: not budgeted enough hours to properly staff the store
I enjoyed working at Ulta Beauty. I was able to quickly advance within the company. I started at Ulta has a seasonal worker and advanced to Merchandise Coordinator with 1.5 years. A typical day for me would be to open the store, complete and send morning reports to the corporate office, schedule employee task and goals for the day. I would be the manager – more... on duty, which would include assisting customers and staff with any customer service issues. I would then have my merchandising duties to handle for the day. Including but not limited to processing inventory, price reductions, handling returns, damages, return to vendors and resetting any stock within the store. The hardest part of the day would be when i would have to handle processing the truck, managing the store and work with customers in peak hours as the only manager within the store. The most enjoyable part of the job was the customer service aspect. I loved working and training new employees as well as helping customers to find the best product for their needs. – less
co manager
co manager (Former Employee), orlandoJuly 24, 2014
Merchandising, visual standards, payroll management, train staff, open and closing procedures
Okay part-time job
Prestige Consultant (Current Employee), Tualatin, ORJuly 23, 2014
Not a great place to have a career. But, it was an interesting place to work. Now I have a greater appreciation for shoes.
Ulta Salon is a really nice place to work
Nail Technician (Former Employee), Hurst, TXJuly 22, 2014
I worked as an hourly nail tech with tips. The pay was good and I had the opportunity to learn additional techniques and other cosmetelogical skills to further my career. I grew tired very quickly of a very slow paced work environment and decided I needed to attempt something a bit more challenging than working in a salon. This particular work was not – more... suited to me personally. – less
Great place for guest facing
General Manager (Current Employee), Little Rock, ArkansasJuly 17, 2014
Pros: very broad range of products that generate a large variety of customers to shop in the store.
The customers who shop ULTA are so much fun to work with. Not only do you share your knowledge with them, they are more than happy to share their's with you -- building your product knowledge even more!

If you do not have a background in the beauty industry, you will not be fully welcomed into the ULTA world by anyone other than the customers.
No management support
Stylist (Former Employee), Williamsburg vaJuly 16, 2014
Pros: lots of stuff to buy
Cons: the pay sucks poor management
Not the place to work if you are trying to make a decent living on your own. The pay sucks and working in the salon busting your but for nothing to hard too move up to the next level and when things go wrong there is no mannagment support to back you up they don't give you a second chance or try to work something out they just fire you with no warning
Loyalty
cash, lost prevention, cashier (Current Employee), snellville, gaJuly 15, 2014
Pros: fun employees, great products, women, and caring managers
Cons: pay, random hour cuts, bad assumptions
Ulta is a decent place to work for a decent check. Just like any other retail store they have high expectations for small pay
Excellent Place for Summer job teens but not a place to build busniess experience
Beauty Adviser (Current Employee), Las Vegas, NVJuly 14, 2014
Pros: discount
Cons: management, cutting hours
It was a very interesting way to get into cosmetics and learn so much about beautification work ethics.I am a MUA and this place was a thought process of building my small business inquirers. Unfortunately I was not able to succeed in that due to the management and giving me negativity on my creativity goal seeking into the business of Ulta. This is – more... not a financial place to work at especially waking up at 4am FOR 8.50 an hour to do truck and not be permitted to switch into something else for a change. So thank you Ulta for the opportunity but it was not worth calling back 10 times a day for this job. – less
Steer Clear
Associate Manager (Former Employee), WisconsinJuly 12, 2014
Pros: gratis if you're lucky
Cons: stress, drama, backstabbing, micro-management, overworked and underpaid
I was excited to get hired as a manager for a new location opening up. The location was projected to be very busy and ended up being extremely slow. We also got stuck with a GM and Prestige Manager who liked to gossip about literally everyone, a Salon Manager that was hired out of desperation and caused several stylist to quit because she was so awful, – more... and a DM who was friends with the GM/PM so he didn't give a s--t about the fact that they sat in the office all day and did nothing.

Hours budgets are a JOKE created by corporate fools who only want to shave hours to create an INCREASE at the end of the year. Be prepared to have angry employees since they won't have any hours and will be forced to leave or get 2 jobs.

Ulta loves to assign tasks for store sets but forgets that you DON'T HAVE HOURS IN YOUR BUDGET to complete them. You're expected to get them all done while the store is open yet get to every single customer in the store 5x while they're there? Get real.

I was lied to at both locations I worked at and was stressed out beyond anything I had ever experienced at any other job. Miserable. The work environment was so bad our cashiers complained about the GM/PM to corporate those complaints were ignored. The GM would decide to get her hair done ON A SATURDAY while the Prestige Manager went to get them lunch ON A SATURDAY. No support from anyone no team atmosphere, total joke. Stay away the free samples are not worth the stress!!!!

GM at my 2nd location would sit in the office and make personal calls and watch us on the cameras then call to let us know she could see us. Thanks for not trusting your own management. – less
Fun and educational place to work during college
Lead Cashier/Beauty Advisor (Former Employee), Greenville, NCJuly 7, 2014
lead cashier
worked in cosmetics
worked as part of the operations team
learned about all brands in the store
learned about skincare/haircare
Good job for a student
Salon Receptionist (Former Employee), Tustin, CAJuly 7, 2014
Pros: free samples.
Cons: no advancement
the hardest part of the job was having to dress up, if you did not have a full face of makeup the managers would tell you it is a dress code violation.
Not a place for a stylist.
HairStylist (Current Employee), UtahJuly 7, 2014
Pros: nice people.
Cons: read review if you are a stylist looking for employeement
I'm extremely discouraged with this company. In school I always had this dream-like idea that I would be in a salon where I would be appreciated, I would be working on a clientele, the salon I would be some what busy and I would have the FREEDOM to choose the way I want to do things! of course these things would either come faster or slower depending – more... on the salon but, everyone and this business knows it just doesn't fall into your lap. But this is my Ulta experience and this is why no STYLIST that wants to advance in their CAREER should EVER work here.

First off, before I was working at Ulta I had a full time job. I was making about 1,300 to live on. When I interviewed at Ulta they told me that getting full-time would be a piece of cake. But for now they will guaranteed me at 22+ hours a week. So I did my budget, figured that I would actually survive on this pay especially with the commission.
Oh no, not only did I barley get any hours, getting commission is IMPOSSIBLE. They don't want to pay you more than $8 an hour! But your doing OVER PRICED $30+ haircuts left and right. This place is a JOKE. And my hours every week you ask? Well being promised 22+ hours a week. It dropped to 20... week later it dropped to 16... now its dropping to 15. So basically I live 15 miles away and I work three 5 hour shifts! Thank you for taking consideration of my life! And now I can't pay any of my bills! And it cost me a fortune to even get to this DUMP. Also no benefits, no bonuses, no freedom!

Next, lets talk about my responsibilities. I have to so many haircuts, services, rebooks, and so on and so on.. But also, anytime a retail person doesn't feel like getting off their lazy butts to help someone I HAVE TO. Even when I'm trying to close. I have to sweep, mop, do other chores before I leave at nine! It takes a hour to completely close! Anytime I get interrupted and I end up clocking out late I get in trouble! ME!
I didn't go to be a retail slave! And the stylist always have to help them stock pro-hair. Ha yeah now I can really have the time to commission! This PLACE IS AWFUL.
Oh not to mention cleaning the bathrooms! Ha what a dream come true for stylists! I never thought I would end up hating my salon job this much. I need to get out of here before I decide to give up hair forever.

The management. Is unapproachable. The DM spy's on you with her cameras all day then calls to complain about why aren't we do this... why are we doing that. Every time anyone leaves I have to be patted down, and my stuff has be to SEARCHED. This is so out of control.

Next, we never get our tips. They are quick to take OUR tips, and they lock OUR TIPS in THEIR SAFE, and most of the time, they have the right stylist name, they don't even put who left it for you, sometimes they just leave it blank making it so you can never get your tips unless you stay 45 minutes after you clocked out. There has been so many times where I have had to leave because I couldn't wait around anymore.
So thanks for that! I don't get paid anything and now I don't even get my tips.

Next... THE CONTRACT. You cannot work at another salon if you work at the ulta salon. This is very selfish. Considering, the only thing I know how to do is HAIR. And you only let me work 15 hours a week. And I can't go get another hair job? " I have to go to something else." Ulta you treat your employees like GARBAGE.
And I would never recommend your ompany for employment. – less
Current employee
Beauty Advisor (Current Employee), N/AJuly 6, 2014
Pros: set your own break times, test out new products, 25% discount, very friendly coworkers
Cons: usually work a 3-4 hr shift unless you are prestige or management, managment issues, clear purses to be used only, bag checks
I currently work at Ulta. The atmosphere there is amazing and always so much fun. Everyone gets along great, but the GM is so rude to the employees its unacceptable. Always telling us what were doing wrong, were not working hard enough, gets upset when we need numbers. (only managers and lead cashiers have numbers) If GM is with a guest and need numbers, – more... arude glance is made and says you will just have to wait. Guest keeps waiting then... – less
awesome place to work for younger people
Merchandise and Service Coordinator (Former Employee), MckinneyJuly 4, 2014
The discount is awesome, and the company really cares about its employees. There is alot of heavy lifting, and time on your feet though. If you can get past that its a wonderful atmosphere!
fun
Customer Rep, Cashier (Former Employee), Benton Harbor, MIJuly 3, 2014
It was interesting working with things i didnt know about. it was a fun environment
Great environment and fun store.
Task/Merchandising (Current Employee), Peoria, AZJuly 2, 2014
Pros: discount
Cons: pay, opportunity for advancement
I do merchandising and task for this company. I handle shipment, I place product, I do inventory, ad set, plano, reflows and many other things. I've learned many things in this position that can translate to other jobs. I love the company however the pay is not great and I've been held back from advancing for reasons that are not just.
Typical Day
Cashier (Former Employee), West Des Moines, IAJuly 1, 2014
Pros: co-workers, discounts, free items
Cons: no benefits, no pto, not enough hrs scheduled, not high enough pay
The typical day is that I would go in and clock in and have a huddle before so I can see all the sales and good deals that are going on in that week. I would work the cashier when customers would come up with their products and items they wanted to buy. I would offer a team member awards card as well to try to promote our promotions and to save money – more... on products, we would have goals for those and I
usually exceeded them or to that goal that day – less

1 2 3 4 5

About ULTA

Ulta Salon, Cosmetics & Fragrance wants to be every woman's ultimate beauty stop. The company operates┬ásome 450 stores in 43 states. – Read more